Season of Change - Chapter 31

Printer-friendly version
Season of Change

by:
Elsbeth

There were only a few things in Harry Potter's life that never changed, he was the son of Lily and James Potter and that he was born a male. What happens when he discovers the truth.

Aislin

Disclaimer: I own nothing, all of it belongs to J.K Rowling, I am just playing in her sandbox for a while.

Authors Note: AU: It's not my first fanfic but it's my first Harry Potter, so I hope you enjoy it. The story starts at the end of the 5th Book.

Language Note: "I'm speaking a different language or to myself."

Black family Etiquette : Note as someone pointed out in the Black family tree (I have a lovely copy of it) how technically Narcissa and Andromeda are not Alya's Aunts, you are correct. However, in many families including my own, it is common to call older cousins, usually those near our parents age Aunt and Uncle. Members of the Black family do the same.

If you have the time, I would love to hear from you. Once again, thanks to all for reading!

Chapter 31

“Not much of a morning person is she.” Alya chuckled as she and her cousin sat down with an early cup of tea in the Defense of the Dark Arts room.

The two had left the Slytherin Common Room well before dawn to continue her morning practice duels. Talitha of course insisted on going along, to get some of her own practice in and to make sure Alya didn’t wander the halls of the school by herself.

“No, never has been, why? Didn’t you two get enough sleep?” Alya’s Aunt Capella asked her daughter as she passed a cup of tea to her niece.

“We were up all night talking with half the girls in our House.” At her mother’s questioning eye, Talitha pointed at Alya. “Seems this one didn’t approve of the Mentor list.”

“So what did ‘that one do’?”

“Grabbed it from Whitehouse’s hands and changed it to fit along family and alliance lines.”

“I thought you weren’t going to get involved,” Capella said with some amusement.

She knew her niece had ambition in spades, so being sorted into the Slytherin was a forgone conclusion. However, for Alya to step forward to make changes on the first day, that was quite unexpected. Not that anyone would be all that surprised though.

The new Queen of Slytherin slouched in her chair grumbling. “The thing was an abomination.”

As she explained why the list was ridiculous, Alya had to admit that the mentor system was an excellent idea. Unfortunately, like the list she replaced, it had become a way to indoctrinate students into the cult of Blood Purity. Worse, it was used as a way to weed out those that the House thought were unworthy. Much like poor half-blood Sally-Anne Perks, who if rumors were true, had been forced out of school just so Pansy could have her own room.

Two of the other Houses had something similar. According to Luna, although the Claws were extremely competitive when it came to grades, there were study circles and tutors for those who needed extra help. Hufflepuff had some sort of buddy system, but there were also older students responsible for the dorms, which according to Ernie reminded him of camp counselors from summer sleepover camp.

“So, what else happened?”

As they spoke about the impromptu tea time with the Slytherin girls, Talitha said. “Greengrass thinks you’re dangerous.”

Alya could only shrug. A number of laws that have been passed so far were to remove the ability for Riddle to make war. Of course, if she could move the Wizarding world a little more forward at the same time so much the better. For the neutrals like the Greengrass family, the Black family and their allies had forced them to finally come out of the shadows and take a side. Peace and prosperity does not come without sacrifice, financial or in blood.

“We’ll I’m sure I don’t need to warn you who you need to be careful around. Oh, which reminds me, Narcissa wanted to know if Nott gave you any trouble.” Capella asked.

“Not really, he and the other Junior Death Eaters have pretty much kept to themselves so far.”

Talitha commented. “Since Draco isn’t around, I’m sure he expected to be King. However, even among the ferret’s old allies, Nott isn’t well liked.”

“Even so, Alya it shouldn’t come as a surprise that they have targeted you with the latest round of Marriage Contact Laws. Mortimer Nott once again brought up the last contract between our two families.”

Knowing how much Alya had been a thorn in the Dark Lords side this summer, no one believed the newest laws to be anything more than for Voldemort to control the House of Black. Mortimer like other unmarked Wizengamot members had been trying to limit the Blacks family’s influence.

“You mean the illegal one that I returned to the goblins.”

“Quite, even with the last laws not even coming to a vote, he’s still making comments. You need the right sort of Wizard to help you because a young woman simply does not have the capacity to understand the complexities of running an Ancient and Noble House.”

“I believe he said ‘little girl.” Talitha sniggered.

Alya took a sip of her tea before murmuring. “Goddess they are idiots.”

Two things were at the top of her list to change in the wizarding world, love potions and marriage contracts. Sexism for the most part was far worse in the non-magical world; however what’s left was wrapped in so-called traditionalist values. Daughters of Ancient and Noble Houses had little say in who they were to marry and their futures were then often decided by their husbands.

After dealing with her Aunt’s marriage contracts, the thought of being in a similar position, to lose one’s sense of self, no longer having control over your own life both terrified and angered her. The summer had been quite enlightening revealing how certain parties manipulated her when she was Harry and she would fight tooth and nail before she allowed it to happen again.

Capella agreed. “Thankfully, they have little support. Most understand its passing would be setting a dangerous precedent for allowing the Wizengamot to interfere in family matters. Besides, I don’t know about you but I barely trust those old fools in determining the thickness of cauldrons, much less who my child may or may not marry.”

Suddenly the Hit-Witch clapped her hands. “Although I do so look forward to listening to what you’re doing in Slytherin, right now I believe training is in order.”

Both girls could only groan at the gleam in the older woman’s eyes.

~o~O~o~

Alya couldn’t help but find her fellow sixth years fascinating as the group made their way to their next class. Bouncing around in front of her was Tracey Davis. The half-blood brunette was talking about some interesting facts about Hogwarts.

Alya didn’t need to say much though as Tracey did most of the talking. But the funniest part of it all, from the looks of glee in her classmate’s hazel eyes, was her apparent attempt to wind up Daphne Greengrass with her antics.

The Nordic pure-blood princess however kept her cool. In fact, Daphne was as cold as the ice-filled fjords. Alya didn’t really see why everyone thought that persona was such a big deal though. All three of the Black sisters did it far better. Luna Lovegood in a house without pudding, scary, Nym before her two cups of coffee in the morning, even more so; Daphne Greengrass, not so much.

A few steps behind, Mille and Blaise, were in a heated discussion over Slytherin’s chances of winning the Quidditch Cup. She had a similar conversation last night, as her classmates pointed out since Potter was out of the picture they might have a chance. Alya knew from experience that winning would go a long way in helping the moral of the House. So she needed a plan, she needed the Captain of the Quidditch team on her side.

In the end, peeling Urquhart from his supporters had been surprisingly easy, especially after finding out from his cousin that the he had no real desire to be King. Passing his NEWTs and earn an invitation to one of the professional Quidditch camps was his only desire. A winning year would make that dream a possibility. Unfortunately with one of his team members in exile, another dead and two in prison, Slytherin didn’t have a chance.

As the two talked over breakfast, Alya could see his despondency turn into excitement. At first he resisted some of her suggestions, most those which included the females of the House. However, she pointed out the untapped potential that a truly ambition Captain wouldn’t ignore. One example, Bulstrode was the niece of one of the infamous Gruesome Twosome, beaters for the Holyhead Harpies and spent most summers at their training camp as a substitute Beater.

“No, I think you’ll do great Millie.” Alya heard Blaise say. “I don’t doubt your skills plus I’m sure that you and Vincent would make a formidable pair.”

Crabbe who walked behind them with his head down didn’t reply. Since returning to Hogwarts, he appeared to have distance himself from everyone, sitting with a bunch of nervous second years during the meals.

Walking behind him were two more whose life had also changed since returning to Hogwarts. Alya could tell that Nott was fuming, seeing his chances of running Slytherin vanish as she seduced Urquhart away with talks of Quidditch. If looks could kill, Alya would be dead already.

Pansy Parkinson, on the other hand, kept looking around fearfully, understandably so, as she had made quite a number of enemies. She would also find no succor in her own House though and now followed Millicent around hoping the larger girl would protect her.

“Alright, this is where we separate, Alya.” Blaise waved as half the group headed downstairs.

“Have fun in Care.” Tracey grabbed Daphne by the hand and started to drag in the other direction while whispering in her ear.

“Vincent,” Alya called out. “When have a moment, I would like to talk to you; perhaps after dinner?”

The young man looked up in surprise then nodded, before following the others outside.

“What’s that all about?” Daphne asked finally able to retrieve her hand from Tracey.

“Family matters,” Alya explained as the three continued the way towards Ancient Runes.

“You seem to know your way around here rather well.”

Alya cursed herself realizing that she actually was leading them to their next class. “I just spent the last two weeks meeting every morning with both Professor Babbling and Professor Vector.”

“That’s right; you’re going to be something like an Assistance Professor in Runes and Arithmancy?”

“No, nothing that grand.”

“I see.” Daphne looked pensive for a moment then said. “Frankly, I’m surprised you came to Hogwarts as a student.”

“Trying to get rid of me already?” Alya smiled wondering where her classmate was going with the interrogation.

“No, but obviously you were just as bored as Bulstrode in Charms.”

Alya had been surprised to learn that Hermione wasn’t at the top of the class in every subject. Oh, she was in the top three in all of her classes but at least for Charms the top student had always been Millicent.

It had also been that rivalry that caused both girls to go at it at the dueling club during their third year. Bulstrode started with something about Hermione being a pathetic no-it-all and it escalated on both sides from there till they ended up on the ground pummeling one another.

“And you’re taking Transfiguration with the seventh years.” Tracey piped in.

Others had asked Alya this before but what was she going to tell them? She used to be Harry Potter she was looking for some closure? Or even a discussion about the prophecy which she didn’t want to believe but deep inside knew that ultimately their final confrontation would occur at Hogwarts?

“Besides that it was what my father wanted?” Alya began. “Well, let’s see. It gives me the chance to interact those who I will be working with in the future, whether in business or politics. And as much as I love my Aunts, it’s nice to be around people my own age.”

“I see allies and contacts,” Daphne said slowly, eying her warily.

“So you came to school to make friends?” Tracey grinned.

Alya laughed. “Something like that.”

“Brilliant, see, she’s just like you Daphne.”

“What, wait-- I didn’t come to school to make friends.”

“Obviously, and you’re doing such a splendid job of it.” The cute brunette suddenly sounded very regal. “However, I wish to expand my horizons and although Miss Greengrass is my best friend, I do believe I enough room for another one.”

“That’s very gracious of you to offer me a place in your inner circle.” Alya gave her a half curtsey.

“I know, I’m just that type of person,” Tracey said happily, linking her arm through Alya’s. “And so, let’s get down to business, Professor. What will be learning in Runes this year and are you actually dating Harry Potter?”

~o~O~o~

Hermione missed her best friend. It had been a week since school started and this was the first time the two had real chance to talk without having most of Slytherin House watching them.

As she stepped through the door, entering the Room of Requirements, she overheard Alya speaking with what sounded like Luna. From the sound of it, they were working on trying to discover the origin of her new powers.

“The Thestrals appeared to be happy to see me.” Alya didn’t sound surprised, more resigned to something.

Luna commented in her usual airy voice. “They were rather accommodating when they took us to the Ministry.”

“Still, not sure it means anything anyway. They like you as well.” Alya replied.

“True, however, with that out of the way.” Luna suddenly clapped her hands “You promised that I could see it.”

“From the look in your eye, love, I gather that you want to do more than just look” Alya sounded amused.

Hermione started to get a little uncomfortable, what were they talking about?

“Oh, goddess, it’s so long and hard.” Luna squealed in delight. “And you just thrust it in.”

With what sounded like a moan, the bushy-haired girl started to turn and leave but found Luna standing next to her with what appeared to be Alya’s dagger in her hand.

“Would you like touch it?” She asked innocently.

“Why don’t you step into my parlor, Mia?” She heard her best friend call out.

Embarrassed beyond belief, Hermione ‘hmph’d’ then plopped into the nearest chair in a room that looked very similar to Luna’s home. “You heard me walk in.”

Watching as her favorite Ravenclaw skipped across the room to return her knife, Alya chuckled. “Yep.” Popping the ‘P’ then said. “And you’re on the map.”

As the three talked about school, Hermione could see a little sadness in her best friends eyes, especially when they spoke about Gryffindor and their friends.

“I imagine Katie is pretty busy?” Alya always thought that the cute blonde would make an excellent Captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

“Yes, according to Ginny they are scheduling a number of tryouts considering how many opened positions she now needs to fill. Suffice to say, Katie’s upset with you for not being there.” Hermione gave a tentative smile.

“Can’t be helped.” Alya looked thoughtful. “I imagine that most of the Gryffs are upset that I am not at school for only that reason, aren’t they?”

“And that without having the ‘By-Who-Lived’ in the House, they no longer feel special.” Luna gave a look as if challenging Hermione to deny it.

“Not your friends, naturally,” Hermione said a little too quickly. “I mean, not everyone feels that way. They all appreciate what you’re doing, but for most of them-- ”

“Grades and how well we do in Quidditch is of more importance; must be nice.” Alya then smiled. Oh, don’t look sad Mia. It’s my fault really. Even after five years of living in the same room, I was nothing more than an acquaintance with Dean and Seamus. Only last year did I really get to know Neville. Add that along with the fiasco of the second year, fourth year’s tournament and the insanity of last year, I’m not really sure what most of Hogwarts thought of Harry Potter.”

“Well everyone thinks Alya Black is a sexy goddess,” Luna said then squealed as Alya started to tickle her.

“Well, I don’t know about that.” Hermione smiled at the two’s antics.

She was actually very happy for her friend that she found someone like Luna. And the petite blonde seemed more together and unwilling to be trodden upon. Marietta Edgecombe appeared to have forgotten that lesson on the second day of school and ended up spending several days under Madam Pomfrey care for her troubles.

“However, some of the first years adore you. I even saw a couple of girls looking through one of the Witch Weekly talking about your hair.”

“What’s wrong with my hair?” Alya reached up to touch it. Funny she had gotten rather vain about something as silly as hair but considering as Harry it was pretty much a train wreck at all times.

“Oh, no they think it’s lovely.” Hermione looked amused, realizing her friend change in attitude. “Are the Slytherin first years the same?”

“I guess, appearance is very important in my House or are you asking if they are all planning on becoming future Dark Lord or Ladies.” Alya laughed but then looked thoughtful. “They are quite the ambitious group of eleven-year-olds. Most have set goals they wish to reach in life, whether it’s academic, financial or professional or even marrying into the right family. I have to admit, the Sorting Hat was correct that Slytherin will help you achieve those goals.”

The raven-haired witch almost laughed out loud at her friends face. Of course, she wasn’t surprised most of the other Houses ideas about what went on in Slytherin was wrong or a gross exaggeration.

“Oh, don’t get me wrong, the House will chew you up and spit you out if you’re not careful. Nothing comes without cost. Even the Mentor System, one is expected to help out their mentors in the future. And, let us not forget the whole Blood Purity thing; at least publicly many are vocal about it. Of course, I have found that privately, less so.”

“That’s barbaric.”

“Really?” Alya shrugged. “The whole Blood Purity thing is nonsense, of course, most of the moderate houses agree. However, it’s pretty ingrained in our culture so it’s going to take time to change it. There are a number of rather smart people with excellent ideas out there that have plans that will be put into motion once Riddle is put down. As for the rest, it’s rather refreshing. Everyone knows what everyone else is doing. That’s why family is important in the House; they tend to watch each other’s backs.”

“How can you stand it, I’m glad I was sorted into Gryffindor.”

Alya laughed. “It’s growing on me. Remember, Hermione, the Sorting Hat wanted me in the Snake Pit initially. Actually, it’s rather fascinating at times. Some of the discussions I have overheard over a cup of tea have been rather Machiavellian.”

“Alya.” Luna interrupted the two.

“Yes, Love.” With a half-smile, she took the Marauder’s Map out of her girlfriend’s hands. Three dots had almost reached the Room of Requirement, Neville, Ron, and Ginny.

“It’s ShowTime.” She whispered as she prepared herself for what was to come.

up
289 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for the new chapter!

I've really been missing this lately! Glad to see Alya back to straightening out the wizarding world.

what a place to stop

this has been a while coming.
great job, thanks

Welcome Back

It's good to have a new chapter of our favorite witch.

Red MacDonald

Wondering how much friendship

Wondering how much friendship will remain after these three find out who Ayla actually is?

Once again

Dahlia's picture

Thanks again for the wonderful chapter. I know they must be difficult to write but as always, they are so very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Dahlia

Once again

Dahlia's picture

Thanks again for the wonderful chapter. I know they must be difficult to write but as always, they are so very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Dahlia

Awesome.

Awesome. Thanks. Go Alya!!!

HP fanfiction

This story has been my introduction to the world of HP fanfiction, and I've read millions of words of HP fanfiction since it started. Despite that, and the main character not being straight, this is so far one of my favourites. It's one of the 3 stories/authors I check the frontpage for on a regular basis, and I'm happy you're still working on it :)

Outstanding!

I just read the first 31 chapters. To say it was outstanding isn’t doing it justice! Keep up the good work and please, keep them coming!

Thanks for all your hard work in writing this!

Hugs
Gina