Julina of Blackstone - 041 - In With The New

Printer-friendly version

The New Year starts with something of a rush

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

041 – In With the New


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
041 – In With the New

Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker!

Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker! Maker!

Maker! Maker! Maker!

Maker!

Why 'tis already nearly until the Festival of Spring Dawning.

Well, maybe that's a little exaggerated. But we are in the same month as that.

I promised myself to maintain a nearly continuous description of the changes to our Town as they went along so my future descendants could have a close connection to all that has passed.

And I have failed.

I have made notes, considerable notes – but I have failed to write a cohesive tale since the Old Year went out. I have allowed things to crop up and stop me writing. It is frightening just how quickly excuses can be found for not doing something.

And they are excuses, I must hold my hand up and freely admit.

As I started with, 'tis already well into the third full month of the year and I have reported nothing.

So no more dallying.

Let me commence by reporting first what happened on the first day of the New Year, and subsequently, as seen from my eyes.

… … ...

The first day of the New Year was, it could be considered, a day without a date. It was a general feast day, one of those that the astronomers insist we add in every so often, to 'adjust the calendar' as they put it. Some called it the last day of the old year but I doubt I am intelligent enough to contribute to the sometimes fierce arguments that this subject generates.

We who had arrived back from our stay in Tranidor had felt strange at first, as though we were different. The familiarity of home, the sights, sounds and smells, were a relief – but they were tinged with the knowledge that we had gained – that there was another world downvalley. It coloured our view of our home. Gyth, I knew, was sad to return but she was a little calmer now, now she had seen a part of the outside world. Her almost frenzied need to leave had been reduced to a quiet and steely determination.

Molly was tearfully grateful to me as was her mother, Mousa.

Kelly couldn't keep quiet about it all.

Kords was confused, as it happens, by the contrasts. I began to wonder if she had been just that little bit too young to come with us, but then she explained something to Papa and Swayga in such an adult way, that I realised it had been good for her, too.

We had all gathered again at our house in the early morning, just before the first bell. This had not been planned by me, but by the others and it was a very emotional time for me. All were there, including Berdon and Bettayla who had settled into Em's accommodation with appropriate approving noises when I had conducted them there the evening before. Em had approved as had Kassama and so a minor fear had been allayed.

Suril, Haka and Haris also came, so we were without the drivers and Parry only.

There was a small 'event' at which all the others gave me little presents as a thank you, and as wishes for the New Year and so on. Papa took the time to make it worse for me by describing the innovations I had made to the house design and the pipes and so on and so forth. I saw both Berdon and Bettayla look at each other and then back at me, with glances that were appraising me – yet again, I squirmed. It was all very embarrassing, the 'event' and the praise of my designs, and all the associated stuff. I confess I was glad when they all scurried off. We agreed to meet up at the Parade Ground just before the scheduled time for the Steward's speech.

But that didn't happen.

For at the half-bell before the second, the Steward himself visited our humble dwelling, along with Uncle, and Masters Jepp, Blandel, Graber and Torin – all Assembly members. Em arrived shortly after the others, with apologies for the tardiness, which were waved off. We were alone as a family by then, and Kords and I were telling the others of some of our adventures.

Thus it was we had near a half of the Assembly, or so it seemed, assembled in our parlour. Papa, Kords and I sat facing them, Master Jepp accepting Kords help in scribing but declining mine, which I found strange to say the very least, while Swayga, Kissa and Julu went to fetch the inevitable pel. 'Kin was told to keep Kord out of the way – and out of mischief.

After the usual greetings and pleasantries, the Captain started to explain: “As you are aware, I have the pleasant duty to address our community up in what is now termed the 'Parade Ground'. The theme of this speech is the foreseen coming year, with emphasis upon the next few months, and upon the growth of the Town and the facilities we supply. I wish to confirm some things beforehand with Master Kordulen, and to ask something of Mistress Julina here. Then I can make some announcements. However, I would also like to discuss with Mistress Julina her recent journeying. Perchance we could meet on the morrow, at say the 2nd Bell? My house?”

I nodded my acceptance. Anything else I might have planned would naturally be put off for such a summons.

“So,” our Steward continued, “I deem I should start with Master Kordulen as that business shall be soon completed. Sir, please confirm that you are still prepared to oversee the road inspections and road maintenance throughout Milady's land holdings up here in Blackstone? To do this, we shall open two offices for you – one here in Blackstone, and another downvalley close to the Brayview roadhouse.”

“I confirm, your Honour, that those are the arrangements that we have agreed. And that I am delighted to have this chance to contribute so valuably.”

“And have you now selected your branch officers?”

“I have naturally given the matter some considerable thought, your Honour. I deem that my long-term deputy here in Blackstone, Katuten, should be promoted. He has indicated to me that he would be prepared to accept such a post. As for the southern office, then I met a local supervisor down there on my quick visit recently, a capable man named Leofer who spoke most sensibly. He would be my first choice, and my second would be another steady man called Drom. They are actually cousins. I intend to travel down there in the next week to interview them more formally.”

“Excellent! I approve. I shall announce this Katuten fellow later, perchance you might give him a little advanced warning?”

“Indeed, Your Honour.”

“And then I deem that the three of you should meet with each other and with Masters Bezan and Yarling at the earliest opportunity. There will be much to discuss as we apply the lessons of the Dam Road and the Loop Road throughout these lands. As a consequence of all this, I would be honoured, Master Kordulen, if you would stand alongside the Assembly members during the regretfully rather long speech I am about to make to the townsfolk.”

Papa bowed his head in formal acceptance of the Captain's words even as he said: “As you desire, your Honour.”

“Now Mistress Julina. I wish to announce the preparations for the school – or, as I begin to suspect, the schools.”

My head jerked up at his use of the plural.

“Mistress Megrozen remains in Tranidor for the next few days, and thus I would be honoured to have you stand with the Assembly, alongside your Father, as the representative of the soon to begin schooling programme. I shall say a few words about it, and would be grateful to be able to indicate you to the throng.”

“As you command, Your Honour.”

“Pray tell me what your intentions are, Mistress.”

“ ...er … if it pleases you, your Honour, we have several complexities we need to work out first, although I am aware that Mistress Megrozen sent you a telegraph to indicate that we have encouraged a Master Magser to arrive here for a month's trial. Our greatest problem is that there is a diversity of ages and abilities to deal with. Then we have the locations of the students to consider too, the miners' community, the Vale dwellers, the Townsfolk, and now, I regret to have to inform your Honour, I have encouraged the wagoneers to learn too. I made a start with those who are up in the Vale, and we came up with a plan that one shall be more hastily taught so that she can then return home and teach the others. Although that might not be the best solution.”

“I would, gently, remind you that Milady's wishes are quite clear. Everyone in her lands should have the opportunity to learn. And her lands spread downvalley nowadays. Have you given thought to the education of others down there?”

“Why … why … er … no, Your Honour,” I replied, flustered. “I must confess that that thought had simply not occurred. But hold, if you would, a heartbeat or two while I think.”

My brain was whirring so fast I was sure that all there gathered would hear it, or see fumes pouring from my ears or something. The Captain was about to speak, and it was only afterwards that I was embarrassed by my actions. I held a hand up and actually 'shushed' him! The others all saw him grin at that, but I did not.

“If I remember the map properly, then there are four ... or is it five? ... roadhouses there. We don't need to consider Tranidor citizens, so maybe the roadhouse nearest the Chaarn junction would be best, as we are only dealing with a few, relatively speaking. Maybe that would help their trade too. But that wouldn't be my decision. A room in one of those roadhouses should suffice. … … … But, whilst I must now needs inform you of certain developments that occurred whilst we were downvalley, I deem the details can await until our recently arranged appointment on the morrow for an official discussion; but relevant to now is that Mistress Megrozen and all the rest of us interviewed several persons for a post up here as Teacher. We drew up a shortened list and offered our preferred choice the chance to come up here for a trial period, which he accepted. Mistress Megrozen is still down in Tranidor and a semaphore could be sent to her to contact the second on our list and ask if he might like to start down that end of Milady's Demesne or whatever the correct word is. Mayhap, he himself should choose his venue.”

“That is excellent news Mistress Julina. And the candidate's name?”

“Master Magser is the one we selected to come up here, as I mentioned. He is scheduled to arrive here at the beginning of Marash. The second man was a Master Loren. Both were, in our opinion, capable of doing the job, but Magser showed more … more … more … amusement, I suppose, and awareness, when we gave him the pressure test.”

“Ah! I see, yet without seeing. Pressure test! I am intrigued! But, these are the details for the morrow, I presume?”

“Indeed, your Honour.”

“I thank you Mistress and Master, and indeed and once more, your entire family for your kindnesses by allowing us to disturb your household - yet again. We are all,” he said, indicating the others with his hands, “grateful for your co-operation. I deem I now have sufficient information to fill all the gaps in my speech today. We shall leave you in peace, now.”

With that the entire party departed as swiftly as they had descended, all talking together all at once. For a brief heartbeat, I felt for the Steward, having to make sense of all that simultaneous chaos.

“Oh, 'Lina! That was priceless! When you shushed the Steward.”

I blushed using every part of my skin, as I gasped, horrified: “Oh, I didn't, did I?”

I shall NOT relate the teasing I subsequently underwent. Even from my parent!

… … …

His Honour's speech was far too long for me to reproduce here, as I did for his speech of yestere'en.

I shall therefore present the details to which I attach most importance. So please bear this in mind, that there was much said that I have not reported at this time.

The speech was a challenging speech, both for his Honour and for his audience. Challenging for him because of its diversity and complexity and its wide-ranging scope, a great challenge to ensure that each topic was presented – and presented fairly. Challenging for we in the audience as he challenged us to do the best to develop this town.

It was an historic speech, both for his Honour and for his audience. Historic for him, as it was his first New Year's speech, and historic for us as many things were revealed that had not occurred to all of us. Yes, maybe some had thought of each point, but none apart from the Assembly had ever put all these points together. And we all gasped at another historic occasion – well two actually. His Honour read out to us two messages received by semaphore. One from our Baroness and another from our King, no less!

It was a personal speech, both for his Honour and for his audience. Personal for him as he lay out his thinking for the future of the Town, and personal for his audience for his delivery was such that we each had the impression he was talking to each of us individually. He created so much enthusiasm that I knew we would have some good times ahead. But also some hard work.

He introduced many topics that day, apart from the two he had spoken with us briefly about.

Em had been given a title – it was derived from an old Chivan word (Master Jepp later gave me these details) 'Bajulus' and apparently the Chivans pronounced the 'j' as an 'i' – and it meant, if I understand it correctly, someone who represented the authorities to the people and the people to the authorities. So Em was now Bailiss Michen.

The past Steward, Master Mesulkin, was confirmed as an Alderman and it seemed he had requested to be responsible for registering marriages and births, and for doing the official business at marriages, saying that the delight he gets from those ceremonies is a 'balm to his heart'.

Each member of the Assembly was introduced so that all would know them by sight. The Steward spent more time with some than with others, but this was in no way seen as any slight to anyone involved nor as any promotion of individuals.

He explained the developments envisaged and how things would be affected by people having to react to lessons learnt by new techniques and so on.

He said that the tiny village of Bezlet would have a small inn there, as well as some other official buildings.

He amazed everyone by reporting Milady's ideas of a railroad, taking quite a long time to get his points across, and, by the end, all understood that it would take a fairly long time due to the needs to develop more powerful steam engines and much, much, much more steel. He did mention the working experiments that were currently going on, and explained why the Loop Road was being widened even before it was opened to traffic.

He told us that the envisaged coal requirements had already been exceeded, and there was more and more, hungrier and hungrier, demand for it. He then explained to us all, that it would probably be a huge change if certain plans were developed for barging the coal downriver from Bezlet. And he, somewhat mysteriously, added that these developments might affect even the wagons with which we were all familiar.

He told us of the expected requirements for coal production. He had further explained that many industrial sites were being built round Teldor and Haligo, and our coal would be delivered there rather than all the way to Palarand City and its surrounds – albeit that there would still be a relatively slight demand from there. We all gasped when he explained that the firstly envisaged demand for coal was back then estimated at four wagons per week. Such was now the demand that four wagons a day was insufficient and it would be near to four wagons A BELL once those industrial sites were up and running.

He also stated that there would be a great demand for the limestone from the Stone Sea, maybe half as much as the coal demand!

He then added a stern warning that made many of us think. The Town would not be able to expand much more if our current methods of water usage were maintained. He reported that Yarling's test shaft was now over two hundred strides into the hillside, nearly three hundred in fact, and the current rock formations found in there were enabling them to progress at over ten strides a day. But he cautioned us not to rely upon that rate of progress. And, he reminded us, there was no guarantee that the attempt would be successful, and any water found.

He then surprised us all, and me particularly, by making a reference to Berdon and Bettayla, and their presence. They were going to do a limited demonstration of their abilities in the Miners' Eating Hall that very evening. I was surprised that the Steward knew anything about them, but then I realised that Em must have told him, and one more worry or surprise or … yes … concern was erased from my mind.

Mention was made of Milady's Community Hall and the Captain stressed that this would receive a certain priority since after all Milady was paying for all this development, then her project should receive its due attention.

All in all, someone somewhere in the attentive crowd was amazed at every fact that the Captain revealed throughout his long speech. Most were grateful to be informed of forthcoming events and changes, and many set resolves to help the way along.

After the prolonged and genuine applause that followed his speech's end, there was a light-hearted moment when he was invited to cast the first ball in a Staffglobe game between the miners and the 'Residents'. Now, personally, these sort of sports leave me cold, and indeed it was mostly the men who enjoyed watching the game, just a very few women amongst them. I was easily confused by it, and it all seemed so complicated to me. But it meant I could have a lot of time, with no duties whatsoever, to do what I wanted. I knew that my time was going to be very limited as of the morrow.

… … …

So great was the clamour for places for Berdon and Bettayla's 'show' up in the Miners' Hall, that they had to start late after promising to repeat the show the next evening down at the Claw. Priority for admission there would be given to those who had not been successful at the first time.

Both these establishments, and the Bell, were overrun by demand for food during the evening of that Feast day and Em afterwards told me that we could have made much coin had we chosen to do so; however, all my team knew that things would be hectic soon, so we enjoyed the day of doing nothing.

“But my dear Em, if you get it right, you could use the shortages of the evening to promote the Salon!”

She turned from me very thoughtfully once I had said that.

I for one slept very soundly that night after more tale-telling of the Tranidor trip.

… … …

“Agreed?”

I looked around at the others sitting there. The Steward of course, and Masters Mesulkin and Jepp, then there was Papa and Kords, Master Graber and Sookie, Brethan and Rathina, and finally Em and Mistress Lendra, who was the first to say anything: “I am just a little concerned about the workload that Julina is taking upon herself. Six full mornings of teaching, and six full afternoons and evenings of cooking. This would be a punishing schedule even for an adult. At least she shall have one complete day off, but even so, it is a harsh schedule.”

Papa grunted his confirmation of her statement and several others again looked thoughtful.

“But, Mistress Lendra, this is purely temporary, until Master Magser takes over which is only two or three weeks away. And Mistress Megrozen will also help out when she returns in a few days. I assure you I would not do this on a long-term basis.”

“I should hope not. Very well, on the strict understanding that this is so temporary, then I deem I shall remove my objections.”

“Very well,” said the Steward. “Master Jepp, would you please read back the agreed arrangements that all gathered here shall have no misunderstandings.”

“Certainly, Captain. Mistress Julina, starting tomorrow morning and until relieved of her duties, shall teach as follows:
Day 1, from 1st Bell until the end of the second Bell, in the Salon, teaching Townsfolk. Followed there immediately by two bells of tuition for the wagoneers. She shall be free at the 5th Bell. Master Graber to be responsible for transferring required materials from the Salon up to Miners' Hall.
Day 2, from 1st Bell until the end of the second Bell, teaching miners, in the Miners' Hall. Also in the Miners' Hall on Day 2, but teaching the Vale residents, from the 3rd Bell until the 5th. Master Graber responsible for returning required materials to the Salon.
Day 3, in the Salon, 1st Bell until the start of the 5th, teaching the Vale residents. This shall allow the Vale residents to require only a single night in Town. Mistress Sukhana responsible for the moving of requirements down to the Claw, and also for providing accommodation for the Vale residents, until another solution is found.
Day 4, in the Claw, four bells of teaching for the wagoneers. Master Graber responsible for requirements moving.
Day 5, in the Miners' Hall, four bells of teaching the miners. Again Master Graber responsible for moving requirements back to the Salon.
Day 6, in the Salon, four bells of teaching the Townsfolk.

So all four groups of students shall receive six bells of tuition per week, and the Claw shall be inconvenienced only on one morning and one evening/night of each week.”

He looked around at each one as if daring them to challenge his details.

A brief pause was filled once again by the Steward: “Right then, that has been settled. Thank you all for your helpful cooperation. I am particularly pleased to see that, despite there being a dozen of us, we still managed to get a workable solution in under a bell. That might even be a first!”

We all laughed at that and then he dismissed Sookie, Brethan and Rathina as he wanted to get my report of the trip to Tranidor. All those that stayed were either my family, or Assemblymen and woman.

The report took considerably longer than a bell, as Kords confirmed much of what I said, and we reported the sad story of GB and the stories of the Teacher interviews and all the rest that affected the Town. The capture of Brathan was included although we left out details of the Bormio affair.

With his Honour’s thanks ringing once more in our ears, Papa, Kords and I watched the Captain and Master Mesulkin rush off to another appointment whilst we repaired to the Claw where Sookie surprised us nicely with a small and welcome meal, before joining us on a ride up to the dam, along with Parry and Brydas who seemed to need a break for some reason. We were off to see where Papa's mysterious mentions would be revealed.

… … …

“ …. found that the Chivans had done much advance work. They had already cut deep channels in the rocks so that three-quarters of the work to release a slab had been done already. Inside the cave quarry there were also piles of smaller flat pieces, the experts suggest that these were trimmings left over from the first crude dressings of the slabs that were cut out. Those trimmings proved sufficient to surface the road from the dam all the way to the new Community Hall. Still smaller chips and pieces were found in there, and had to be cleared to allow a free passage for wagons to and from the Vale itself, so the cave quarry is also, in effect, a tunnel open at either end. It has cut off more than half a bell of travel time for the Vale-dwellers AND allowed wide wagons in and out, so they are pleased to be able to convey large loads at long last, and make family trips!

“Then there is the road beside the lake – the one that reaches down to the dam from the cave quarry. You will remember that it was basically a single track road with passing places, passing places that were being extended to create a second track. Now it is mostly a two track road with just a few short bottlenecks, which I confess will take a LOT of work to reduce; however, traffic flows almost unhindered now. The huge pile of earth and rocks cut out for that second track to become so feasible was used as the base for this new Dam Road bed and for the ramp you shall soon see.”

“But Papa, so much has been done since we were away. We were only gone nine days and have only been back two.”

“Remember, 'Lina, you did not come up here every day before you left, so some of this work was being done even as you gathered your things and friends together.”

I nodded to acknowledge his point as I continued to stare at the foundations for the Community Hall building site.

We had ridden up the Main Street from the Claw, a much easier task now that East Street was functioning, and we looked along the Loop Road from the Camping Place. From there we could see more building going on round the Miners' Village and we could see that the Loop Road itself was fully surfaced all the way beyond the three quarries. The widened part started roughly at the third quarry, about where the turning circle had been. This widened bit was done with the Michen Method, but we could see a stone-filled wagon was there ready to fill in some of the 'gaps' between the traces. Another stone-filled wagon was lumbering along, now at the head of the valley. This, it seemed obvious to me, was headed to do some more surfacing further downvalley, probably the bits of the road that were so far totally unsurfaced.

Papa promised we would go down there later to see, especially as my days were about to get so busy. But for now we turned right, and headed for the start of East Street, making sure we disrupted traffic as little as possible. We squirted our way, in three groups, across the mouth of East Street and in a short cast or so, we gained the mouth of the Dam Road, as we were told it was now called. This end of Dam Road was MM'd (Michen Methoded) for a hand of casts, up to an obvious passing place; then it became a track along which several bumps had been levelled and several hollows filled, creating a relatively smooth surface along its length. There were some ruts and the like, but not too deep. A passing place was positioned roughly every hand of casts. There was also the start of a junction we had passed, a cross road that would join East Street below, exactly opposite the top-most relief alley between Main Street and East Street.

At the building site for the Community Hall, we could see the new feed off the Aqueduct upslope from us and it disappeared into a large stone covered cube, which had a square corner cut-out in its roof, covered with a tarpaulin. I could see the downslope continuation of the aqueduct that went to our house.

“This,” announced Papa loudly and proudly, “is one of 'Lina's ideas. She suggested that the Cistern up at the Camping Place was a waste of facilities, and that the building could have been used for more. So here we have a new, albeit smaller, Cistern which will feed all the houses from the Steward's House downslope to the Bridge. At this moment, that feed is connected to our new house and everything below the Claw – next week, the Claw shall be connected and hopefully the Steward's House and the Messenger Office as well. BUT, this smaller cistern is designed further to be the base for the Community Hall kitchens, bathrooms and toilets. The gap in the roof is to allow these facilities to draw up water from the underground cistern. Milady suggested that the water flow be used to drive the pumps that will lift said water, thus 'twill be a self-driving system. She mentioned something called 'turbine chambers' but spoke of them also in association with the dam, so we will need some clarification there. But, as mentioned, the usage of this new Cistern as the base for useful rooms is something that I deem will be of great benefit.”

“Aye, Master Kordulen. The Assembly have all noted well Mistress Julina's suggestion here, and all approve. I am also amazed at seeing with my own eyes the progress made on this road. I deem it to be almost impossible to achieve so much.”

“Ah! Master Brydas, the task was made easier by various factors, not the least being the terrain itself. It's all about the base, ALL about the base. Those base materials were readily to hand, as were the working tools. Now the Loop Road has been levelled o'er its entire length, we had some levelling crews available. Once the Dam Road is finished, then they shall return to the widening of the Loop Road. The base being so to hand, 'twas a matter of ease to build the road and all the other tracks that became necessary. We shall see these when we get to the dam itself.”

And so we passed along the Dam Road to the very foot of the dam wall. The road was again a single-track, but with more frequent passing places. As foretold, it was fully surfaced although Papa tut-tutted at some areas where the surface was not well laid. We met more traffic along that stretch, and noticed the start of a new junction that would connect this road, via a wiggly-waggly road down the steeper slope to join East Street just as it bent to rejoin Main Street, behind the Tanner's.

“Why so sad, Julina?” had asked Uncle, as we started off from the Community Hall site at the start of our near three mark ride to the dam.

I had hoped that it wouldn't show, but now it was out in the open and all were looking at me. I saw the sudden realisation dawn in both Kords' and Papa's faces even as I stuttered out my reply. Sookie suddenly showed that she too understood soon after I had started.

“Uncle, we are standing now on the spot that used to be our old house. The road we have followed to get here from the Camping Place has covered the track I have used thousands of times in my life. The stones we used to use as distance markers are now buried under the road base. I feel that a large part of my life has passed, never to return.”

“I, too,” said Kords, “even if I have only just realised it.”

Papa, I could tell, was at a loss as to what to do or say and just shrugged a bit as he turned Judd to head towards the dam. Uncle and Parry also turned, speechless, as Sookie came across to us both and just squeezed between us before squeezing our hands. She made us smile when she simply said: “Funny how men can't cope with emotions, isn't it?”

That remark broke the strange mood that had enveloped us, so we all lined up three abreast and followed the men along the road.

“Let them clear everyone out of our way, and allow us to sail serenely upon our way,” said Kords. And we both laughed out loud, which made the men turn round to look. All three of us could see the relief cross their faces that they didn't have to cope with moody women any more.

… … …

We were all six bunched together once more as we turned the quite sharp corner to the right after which we gained our first sight of the dam.

“Maker!” I exclaimed aloud, just before Sookie and Kords did. Parry said something that sounded a bit like “Wow” or something strange like that and Uncle even grunted in surprise. Papa was just grinning.

It took me a little while to make sense of what I was seeing. It was all so different to the last time we had been there. Our distance allowed us to see some little detail of what was going on atop the dam, at the lakeside road level, but that slowly disappeared as we got closer. We were, of course, at the same level, in fact just a little below the level, of the foot of the dam wall.

The first thing I noticed was a large, almost circle had been built at the foot, and not one but two ramps led from it up to the top of the aqueduct, to our left. There were a hand or more of wagons parked round the edge of the circle. Next to the circle, a bridge, made of Uncle's truss things, had been built across the stream leading to a new path that twisted its way up the slope on the right. My eyes followed the path and I saw that it joined back at the very top of the dam wall, with the old south side track joining it near the bottom.

But the ramps were what dragged everyone's attention. They were partially MM'd. Now I know I need to explain that explanation. You will remember that the Michen Method was to provide a solid stone surface for each wheel of a wagon, with a central solid stone track for the dranakh pads. Single frayen-driven carts and wagons could use the central strip too, but double frayen-driven ones would have the animals use the wheel surfaces as well as the wheels.

So when I say that the two ramps were using a partial MM surface, then I have to relate that on these two ramps there was no central strip. On the right ramp, as we looked at it, there was the long mark of a rope lying loosely on the ground, but somehow that mark seemed thicker at places than in others. We needed to be closer to get the full details, but the mark of the rope continued all the way to the top and over the visible edge.

A number of men down there in the circle were manhandling a wagon loaded with stone from the circle towards a waiting dranakh, while another group of men wheeled an empty, or lightly loaded wagon into the circle, from the group of wagons parked round the edge.

As we neared, I saw them attach the lying rope to this newly introduced wagon, whilst the now hitched dranakh took up the strain and the stone wagon rolled towards us.

Just then, there was a series of short whistles from the group that were attaching the wagon to the rope, but then nothing seemed to happen. We moved off the track to allow the stone wagon to pass, and we exchanged greetings with the driver, so I missed exactly what happened when a fainter set of whistles sounded. But when my eyes returned to the scene, the rope was taut and the empty wagon was being dragged towards the ramp from the flat of the circle. We could now see that there were in fact two ropes leading up the slope, being perhaps two thumbs apart.

Now we were that much closer, I could see that there were deep but narrow ruts in the stonework of the ramps and the wagon wheels were guided into these by the handling group.

“Look up at the top, now,” said Papa.

We all gasped as we saw a stone-laden wagon appear at the top of the left-hand ramp and start to descend. There were no draught animals in sight and we feared that this wagon would just rush down and crush the men at the bottom, but they were moving about very nonchalantly. The other end of the wagon appeared and we could see that there were no less than four ropes attached to the upslope end. I suddenly realised that two of these ropes must be attached to the other wagon and that the descending wagon was pulling the other wagon up, just like the effect that Malet had described for the miners' wagons in the quarries.

“Papa? The ropes that are attached between the wagons – is it difficult to get them EXACTLY the same length? For surely they must be, otherwise one would take all the strain.”

Papa and Brydas looked at each other meaningfully for some reason before Papa answered. Parry looked surprised while Sookie and Kords just looked a little confused.

“Actually 'Lina, they are not exactly the same length, but I understand what you mean. The reason that they are not the same length is because up above, there are some wheels around which the ropes pass. Those wheels cannot all be in exactly the same place, so the lengths have to be adjusted to compensate for that. On top of that, then the ropes stretch as they are being used, so there are adjustments required to compensate for that even as they are used. Indeed, it is for that reason that I asked Master Brydas to accompany us today, since methinks a metal rope might stretch less. I deemed that the Master should see the operation before pronouncing judgement.”

Uncle nodded his agreement, even as his eyes were consuming all that he could see.

“The other two ropes that you see on the descending wagon are attached to dranakh up above and are the brakes required to prevent runaway wagons. The connecting ropes are also running through blocks that can be used as brakes, however, the blocks clog up easily with rope fibres and the ropes themselves wear out far sooner.”

“So why not put brakes on the wheels? Wouldn't that save some wear on the ropes?”

Uncle and Papa didn't reply immediately. Again, they needed to stare at each other for some reason. In fact, now I think on it, my question was never answered. I must try to remember to ask it again, but this was all so long ago now.

We watched the heavily-laden wagon come slowly down the ramp and then flatten out as it reached the circle. Its momentum carried it into the middle of the circle whereupon the group of workmen descended upon it to detach the ropes. An exchange of whistle signals was followed by the brake ropes as they were released from above; they came down the ramp rapidly, the men keeping clear for safety's sake. Once settled, the ropes were coiled and eventually placed into the next wagon which would ascend.

We were now close enough for words, commands and actions to be readily heard, seen and understood. For some reason, I looked behind us and saw an empty wagon following along our route, with yet another not far behind it.

The waiting dranakh, presumably the hauler of the last empty wagon to arrive, was hitched up to the recently descended wagon and sent on its way. From the orders given and from other conversations, I gathered that the first and third wagons that descended were despatched to be used for the Dam Road surfacing, whilst the second was destined for the far Loop Road and the fourth for the Loop Road widening project.

We watched, carefully keeping out the workers' way, as one more wagon exchange took place.

We then all followed Papa as he went up the new track to the right of the dam as we looked at it.

When we got to the top, we saw that the way to continue was actually to cross along the very top of the dam itself. It was between two and three strides wide so it was not frightening. The surface had been made smooth and a low fence had been added on the watery side. I could see preparations had been made for a similar fence on the other side, and indeed a small team of men were mounting the first few stretches of that fence across on the other side of the valley.

We crossed over there and were told to move quickly to the quarry side of the big surfaced circle up there. I was surprised to see no fewer than six loaded wagons all awaiting their turn to descend. I queried this of Papa.

“Last week we had no fewer than a dozen awaiting. As I mentioned, the tidying up of what the Chivans had left gave us much already prepared material. Only now is that bounty coming to an end. The masons estimate that they will be able to maintain waiting wagons for perhaps another week, then their production will drop so that the queue will disappear.”

We watched for another wagon exchange and then we headed back to Town along the top of the aqueduct.

“Papa?” asked Kords. “Why do the wagons not use this route?”

“Weight, my dear. We cannot trust the aqueduct to stand the strain of such heavy wagons. Also, there is a bit that you shall see where the roof of this aqueduct has been changed. That is where the other aqueduct has been built to branch off this old one – the one that goes down to the Community Hall and supplies us at home.”

“Ah, of course. Sorry I asked,” she said, blushing.

“Never be sorry, m'dear, to ask a fair question. And indeed, that WAS a fair question.”

And so it was that we progressed to the Cistern along the aqueduct, the same route that Milady had used when she came back from the Vale with those wounded and killed at the battle up there. That all seemed so very long ago now.

Passing across the Camping Place, we went along the Loop Road. Once there, we went fast, since time was running out before it started to darken. Papa held us on our rapid course all the way to the point of the Loop Road where the road had turned to head down valley.

“There, you see that the road surface is nearly passable all along the length, We have nine days until the 1st of Marash, and that gives us time enough to ensure a surface of some sort all along the length. At the start we will make it single direction so that coal wagons coming into town shall use the Loop Road and those leaving town shall use East Street. Now, as we return, you shall see the widened bit next to the road. This is the start of our railroad. The route shall be next to the road almost as far as the Bridge. There it shall stay on the west side of the river and cross the river on a new bridge, then shall cross the road, down near the start of the trees. After that it shall hug the east side of the valley all the way down until it runs parallel again to the main road two or three marks short of Bezlet. It shall then cross the road there and head down to the river, by which time the nose of Kord Peak,” he looked a little embarrassed as he said that name, “shall have been taken off, or a tunnel driven through it, that the railroad may pass from there down the river bank. But the first target is to get a railroad to work conveying the coal down to Bezlet that it can there be trans-shipped to barges.”

We all gawped at him, except for Uncle, who was aware of this, of course from the Assembly meetings. Papa then shocked us more.

“It is estimated that there shall be at least a hand of years before the railroad is functioning, there is still far too much development to be done. However, plans are already under consideration for various phases of the operation. Milady has suggested much of course, but has left it up to us to make the decisions. We have planned that a barge shall carry four basic units, and the first railroad wagons shall take two basic units. A basic unit shall be a current wagonload. In order to be able to transfer these loads easily then sort of cages shall be built for each unit. Then one unit can be lifted with relative ease into position from a wagon into a barge, without requiring unloading and then reloading of the contents. This will require more powerful steam engines most certainly than are currently available, although dranakh power would also work.”

He paused to make sure that we all understood, before continuing.

“To achieve this, then each basic unit shall itself be sub-divided. We are currently working on having two dozens of small columns to fill a wagon, four of them across the bed in a row, and six rows from front to back. These smaller columns cannot really be called sacks, since they have a wooden or a metal framework to guarantee exact sizes. A stiff canvas sack is attached to a framework and hangs inside the rectangular frame. These will be a half-stride cube. Then another layer of cubes can be stacked on the bottom layer, creating the columns I mentioned, and so on. I deem you shall see more and more of these in the coming days and weeks. We deem that there could be a maximum of three levels, but to fill a wagon completely would be too heavy for a single dranakh to cope with.”

I was now intrigued to see one of these strange things, and I'm sure the others were as well. I ran over the information in my head once again. Smaller cubes would be stacked to make columns, the columns held within cages, one of which would be a basic transported unit and is equivalent to a wagon-load. Once I thought of it like that, it all seemed to snap into place.

We returned again at a quick pace to the quarries, at which point we slowed down to our more normal sedate walk. The 'continuous carpet' thing, which Uncle told us was actually called a 'conveyor belt', was in operation and creating a great pile of splintered coal rock on both the ground and atop a wooden platform that we could see was the same height as a wagon. The coal of course was coming from that third quarry, the one Master Yarling was trying to drive through as quickly as possible towards the underground extensions of the Stone Sea. He was trying to find water there, based on things that Milady had told him.

Oh look! There. On the platform by the huge coal pile, there …. there was a worker filling one of the cubes that Papa had described. I squeaked out an explanation to the others who all turned to look.

“You will notice that the wagon on the far side of the platform is not equipped with a cage as yet. That is because in fact there are no cages! We need first to find a reliable hoisting method to manage such a heavy thing. Each of those cubes require two men to lift them, so having 24 of them in one layer, with up to three layers, that means we would need 144 men to lift a cage!”

“Now, now, Brydas! That's slightly inaccurate. The cubes only require two men because they are at the limit of a single man's abilities. Theoretically, we would need only 72 of the strongest men to lift a cage, maybe a couple more since the cubes and the cages are themselves not weightless.”

Again, this explanation and the actual sighting of one of the cubes, made it all much easier for me, at least, to grasp. Later Kords told me that she could see things more clearly once she had seen the cube, but I think the sheer enormity of the weights was, and still is, beyond her powers of comprehension.

… … …

“ … and we need to be sure that all of us can do every other person's tasks. If I am ill, for instance, we can't have a lack of a cook – for that would mean the Salon shall have to close, which will do nothing towards a good reputation!”

The others all agreed with my point, Em as well, as she said: “Indeed, Julina. Theoretically, it is possible to continue with no one serving the diners, just the kitchen staff as they finish the dishes, but to survive as a small restaurant, we can only do that if we serve food. The target for us is to provide a quiet, discreet and superior dining experience, to create a reputation for somewhere to go that is special. That requires a good solid reputation, and that in turn requires a team that can cope with any of the inevitable problems, small and large, that are going to plague us. I shall be on hand most evenings, and Kassama can be there for emergencies only, but we really need to be sure that it is all capable of being handled by the four of you. Are we all of a like mind?”

The team gave her an enthusiastic agreement and we parted from our team talk in plenty of time to make it down to the Claw for Berdon and Bettayla's second demonstration of their abilities.


up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Welcome Back Julina

You've been so busy.
I've missed your journal.
My favourite empire is becoming more solid and cultured.
Penny must be happy to have such a capable storyteller.

Thank you maker!

Where has the chariot gone? That should be the town's revered talisman and put on protected display.

DJ

Julina has indeed been tardy

Julina is being overloaded to say the least. But the town looks like is really pulling itself up by its bootstraps. Problem they are just starting to get all the drawbacks of industrialization and urbanization.

too long

Julia, its been too long since a chapter. but, we do appreciate it when you can grace us again with your presence. thank you for a great story. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Compensation?

In all this negotiation for Julina's time to teach all these folks, naught a word has been mentioned as to what kind of compensation or is she expected to do it as a duty to her liege, for free?

Glad to see this story back.

Glad to see this story back. It is always lots of fun to hear about Julina and her exploits, of which there have been a few. Janice

shipping coal in bulk

SEE; from Book 5, chapter 92. "You wouldn't be able to make anything like those here yet, since they are of course made out of steel." ... "you could just fill the container with coal without needing bags. Your men wouldn't need to handle it at all along the journey. At the far end you could drop the whole container into a special revolving frame which dumps the coal out in one go. Less handling, less mess, less loss of cargo..." ... "When you get it to the wharf you can just crane it from the wagon bed into the barge..."

1. Containers are used to REDUCE shipping costs not raise it. When goods are shipped bulk, it is without costly packaging and with less labor involved.

2. The miners have block & tackle already AND so, [DING!!!] get Swayga and her brother to rig a simple CRANE like those used on boats and wharves. (See ship or barge derreck also a scotch derreck)

3. One or more of the smiths, carpenters, or masons is likely to know about a gantry crane. Typically used inside buildings to move heavy objects. How else would the masons move heavy stone grinding wheels within their shop? Heck, Brydas may already have one in his shop for large objects.

[Got 3 pics of of these simple cranes. No steam or electric power needed. Can only email them from phone.]

Julina just needs to review some of this during dinner at home thus, allowing Swayga to weigh in with her maritime knowledge. She needs to publicly post questions amongst which is, 'what would you use to lift heavy objects?' If the town offers rewards for adopted solutions so much the better.

I believe there are enough smart people in Blackstone to get things moving. Whatever has them stumped for more than 2 should be sent to Garia for help.

Well the engine would not hurt.

Though it would be slower with a weaker steam engine, with a sufficiently force multiplying block and tackle it will still do the job. In theory you can parallel transfer with multiple crane apparatuses if necessary.

As an Earthling,

living in the 21st Century, I can find many, many, many solutions. Garia described to them an ULTIMATE method to work towards. They have made the current arrangements in Blackstone as the first of many stepping stones on the way to achieve that ideal. They are not going to have the ability to transport even small containers as Garia has described until a feasible railway is in place. And that is some time away. They can only use the tools, materials and methods that they CURRENTLY have to hand. There HAS to be a certain amount of learning by doing. So while I can not disagree with what has been said above, I do disagree that the Palarandis can see the matters as clearly as these comments - they do not have the mental background nor the examples available in order to even formulate some of these thoughts. I beg of you, let them develop in THEIR way, not in yours!