Michelle's Story - Part 7

Printer-friendly version

Michelle's Story - Part 7

Michael's life is now very much a case of being a boy at school, and being Michelle at home. Just to help him feel better, his mom gets him a wig to wear. Billy, the school bully, is still being kept at bay, though he is now one step from expulsion. But even if he did get expelled, Michael still has another boy to worry about, concerning his gender: his best friend Robert.

Michelle's Story – Part 7

There was no doubt that Michael wanted to go to school as a girl. But John had told him that while Billy was around, it was not safe for him to do so. For now, John was prepared for Michelle to make her school entrance in September.

“Anyway, you've got a party to look forward to now.” said Liz. “We've just got to find you some dresses.”

Michael at least could dream of being a girl without trouble now. What had been a nightmare was now anything but. He once again saw himself as a girl with long hair in ribbons, wearing a pretty dress. But the difference was that his family were standing by him and smiling.

“You are one beautiful girl.” said Liz.

“I love you sis.” said Emma, hugging him.

“I've always wanted you to be happy, son.” said John. “And this obviously makes you happy.”

“Yes daddy.” replied Michael.

“Don't worry sis, I'll protect you.” said James finally. “I won't let any bullies hurt you.”

“Thanks bro.” smiled Michael.

Michael awoke the next morning feeling slightly glum though. He had much longer hair in his dream. He knew though, that his wish to have longer hair was not going to happen just yet. His parents hadn't refused to let him do it, but had told him to wait. For now, he would keep it at it's current length. At least it was long enough to tie back.

School continued to go well, with Billy unable to make a move. Emma had passed on a message at home that he should look out for Billy's companions too, seeing that they sometimes left his side.

Michael told this to Robert who actually agreed that this was something to be concerned about.

“He must know that all eyes are on him.” said Robert. “So his friends are free to do what they like.”

“They could attack us?” asked Michael.

“They might try.” said Robert. “We'll just keep amongst crowds so that they don't have a chance.”

“Ok. I'm just glad to have some peace.” said Michael. “But my sister said she is keeping a watch on them too.”

“Tell her thanks.” said Robert. “You and your sister must be close?”

“We are.” said Michael.

In class, Michael was always being glanced at by Amy. Amy had just been curious about him since finding out about Michelle. There wasn't any doubt that Amy would have invited him to sit at her table if she could. But the “rules” of the classroom stated that girls and boys didn't sit together.

Still, her glances were not just noticed by Michael. Her friend Becky had noticed too and was curious to know why.

“Why do you keep looking at him for?” she asked.

“I just know his sister, that's all.” said Amy.

“Wasn't he the one who acted funny before Christmas?” asked Becky.

“His sister says he has got over that. He's ok now.” said Amy.

It was true in the sense that Billy hadn't tried to cause any trouble for Michael, though not without want of trying. Billy did want to get back at him for shopping him, but with the teachers on watch, he couldn't.

The teachers on duty each break time did have other things to do. It wasn't just their job to monitor one pupil, but every pupil in the playground. There were always going to be times when they would have to take their eyes off Billy.

So, it was a good job that Emma was doing the job too. The only snag was that she couldn't always warn Michael. The only thing she could do was to at least tell him not to lower his guard.

* * *

They could at least talk about it at home, when Michael could wear a dress and play in her room.

“I wish my hair was longer like it was in my dreams.” he told Emma. He was brushing the hair on one of her dolls.

“I bet it looked nice too?” replied Emma.

“It was. As long as yours and had a pretty ribbon in it.”

“Mommy and daddy said they would let you grow it longer in July.” said Emma. “They said you could be a girl all the time then.”

“I can't wait for then. I enjoy being a girl.” said Michael. “Just like Jessica.”

“You are like her, aren't you?” said Emma. “I would never have guessed she was a boy until she took her panties down and showed us her willy.”

“I didn't know until she did.” said Michael. “But she was wearing 2 pairs of pants.”

“Oh, of course. Now I remember. I wonder why?” said Emma.

“I bet when we see her in March, her hair will be longer.” sighed Michael.

“Of course it will.” said Emma. “Now, which princess do you want to be?”

“Cinderella?” suggested Michael. “Sleeping Beauty?”

“Possibly, as both have light brown hair.” said Emma. “Ariel has red hair of course, Snow White has black hair.”

“You could be Belle.” said Michael. “You have the same colour hair.”

“With a yellow dress, I could!” said Emma.

“I think Cinderella will do for me.” said Michael. “Though I'm not losing any slippers.”

Emma just giggled. “I might walk behind you in case one slipper does come off.”

“But I wish my hair could be longer then.” he sighed.

“Maybe mommy and daddy could let you grow it for March.” said Emma. “I want to know about those panties that Jessica was wearing.”

They decided to mention the topics just before dinner.

“All princesses have really long hair.” he said in his defense. “I want to go as Cinderella.”

We're sorry but we won't let you grow your hair longer until we can arrange for you to go full time.” said John. “We understand how much this means to you but we can't.”

“We could get you a wig though.” suggested Liz. “One that would reach past your shoulders.”

Michael's face lit up at that suggestion. John saw this and agreed.

“Now, about Jessica.” said Emma. “She had two pairs of panties on. Why would she need 2 pairs for?”

“The second pair are special ones that make her look like a girl. They are the same colour as her skin so they don't show.” replied John. “They help hide her willy.”

“Can you get me a pair of these?” asked Michael.

“I can try.” said John. “Now, back to princesses, you don't want glass slippers with your dress, do you?”

Michael just smiled and said nothing.

“I want a yellow dress, so I can be Belle.” said Emma.

“And your hair in curlers?” added Liz. “If you're referring to the ballroom scene, Belle has her hair styled elegantly.”

“So when can I have this wig?” asked Michael.

“Might look for one this weekend if you like.” said Liz. “Have one the same colour as your hair.”

“We need to send some photos of you to Jessica.” said John. “I did promise your Aunt Anne that I would, so girls, can you tidy yourselves up.”

Liz helped them with that while John fetched the camera. Emma and Michael stood side by side, looking like the sisters they wished to be. A few clicks later and John was uploading the photos on to the computer.

“I should imagine your aunt and cousins will like the photos.” said John as he wrote the email that he would attach the photos to.

* * *

Emma found her friends eager to meet up with Michelle once more. Though they still agreed to meet up at their houses too, they were more than keen to meet up at Emma's house. This was after Emma made it clear that Michelle was appearing exclusively at her house and no one elses.

Michael was trying his best to keep his double life away from Robert. It wasn't too hard as Robert had always got something to talk about. They even started hanging out in the playground wherever there was a teacher. If there was anywhere where Billy or his friends wouldn't think of trying anything, that was the place.

It was the weekend as planned when John and Liz took the children into town to do some general shopping and looking around. With no football match on, all would be together. There was just one slight difference to the usual routine.

“I think it best if Michelle came along.” said Liz. “After all, we are buying the wig for her.”

Michael was elated, having usually gone out dressed as himself. Only on that one occasion, had he become Michelle during a shopping trip. The only fear was meeting someone they knew, or at least knew Michael.

Borrowing one of Emma's skirts and t-shirts, Michael wore his girl shoes and had his hair tied in a ponytail. With his appearance, there was hardly a chance that a stranger would recognise him as a boy.

They decided to head for a wig shop first, so that Michael could hopefully wear it for the rest of the day. Liz took him in alone while the others waited on a bench outside.

“Good morning.” said the store owner. “How can I help you?”

“Morning. I'm here for a wig for my young daughter here.” said Liz. “I know her hair is fairly long but she needs to have longer hair for a costume party.”

“Sure. I think we can help you there.” said the owner. “What colour does she want?”

“The same colour as her own hair.” said Liz.

The owner first of all showed Liz a number of long wigs, in a variety of styles and lengths. She then looked at Michael's hair and looked for the nearest colour. After Liz had chosen the style, the owner went round to the storeroom at the back and came back with the wig in the required colour.

“Ok, let's try it on for size.” said the owner. “We'll need to put her own hair up. A hairnet will help.”

She got a hairnet from the shelf and put it on Michael. He was a bit puzzled at why this was needed, but once it was on, the moment of truth arrived. Michael soon felt the wig upon his head and felt the longer hair across his shoulders and back. After a quick tidy up with a brush, he was asked to look in the mirror. Tears filled his eyes as the reflection of a girl with long hair looked back at him.

“Don't cry sweetheart.” said Liz. “You look wonderful.”

Michael nodded, smiling. He was not upset at all, he was happy.

“That wig can be styled, pulled back in to ponytails and more. Looks and feels like real hair.” said the owner. “It's elasticated so it will stay on. She looks pleased with it.”

“Oh she is.” smiled Liz. “The hairnet is needed?”

“It helps prevent her own hair getting caught.” said the owner. “Is she wearing it now?”

“I think so.” said Liz as she payed for the items. “What about washing?”

“Normal shampoo will suffice, but no wearing it in bed.” said the owner.

“Ok. Thanks for your help. Bye.” said Liz.

The others were waiting patiently for them to exit the shop. When they did, they looked at Michael in wonder. Emma ran over and hugged him.

“You look wonderful!” she said. “My wonderful, wonderful sister!”

“I love the way I look now.” smiled Michael. “I feel even more girly and it feels wonderful.”

“You do look very pretty now Michelle.” said John.

James didn't know what to say. It was plain that the sight of his brother dressed as a girl was still something he was getting used to. The wig had just made it harder.

“She's keeping the wig on for the rest of the day.” said Liz.

That was how it went, with Michael experiencing the feel of hair around his shoulders for the first time in his short life. He felt wonderful. Emma couldn't help but look at him, for his wig appeared to her like a doll desperate to be played with.

“You can have your hair plaited now.” she told him, cheerfully.

They continued looking around the shops, hoping that they didn't meet anyone they knew. But that did happen.

John and James had gone over to the Newcastle United store, leaving Liz, Emma and Michael to look round clothes stores. It was in one of these clothes stores that Emma met one of her friends from school.

“Hi Emma!” said Maddy. “Who's your friend?”

She then realised.

“Oh, how did you grow your hair so quickly?”

“It's a wig.” whispered Emma.

“Oh, here's my mommy.” said Maddy. “You can't let her know about Michelle.”

Emma remembered what Maddy had said about her dad, and realised that her mom must think likewise. She quickly told Liz when she walked over. Soon, both mothers were face to face.

“Hi June.” said Liz, greeting Maddy's mother.

“Hi Liz. Got another girl in tow, I see?” said June.

“Yes, this is Michelle, my niece. We're looking after her this weekend.” said Liz.

“Well, I hope your cousin treats you well?” asked June to Emma.

“They get on like sisters.” said Liz.

“I bet they do.” said June. “So, left the boys at home?”

“They've gone to look at shops that appeal to them. John is with them.” replied Liz, now putting herself in a hole.

June knew that Liz had two sons and a daughter. Liz knew that she had to get away from June before John and James came back. Michael's “absense” would then have to be explained some how.

However, June decided to end the conversation sooner.

“Well, nice to meet you again.” she said. “Goodbye girls. Come along Maddy.”

“Bye Emma, bye Michelle.” said Maddy as she turned to follow her mom.

“We'd better go and find your dad and James before they do.” said Liz.

“Why?” asked Emma.

“Because she now thinks that Michael is with them.” said Liz.

Emma looked and then understood.

They did meet up eventually and Liz explained about meeting June.

“Ok, so we just need to avoid her for now.” said John.

* * *

They thought avoiding her was possible, but June was determined to be a bad penny, for they met again later in the day.

They had just gone into McDonalds for something to eat. They all sat down at a large table while John went to get the meals.

“Oh hi again.” said June. She and Maddy were sat at the table opposite.

“Hi.” said Liz, trying not to look disappointed.

It was clear that June was keen to say hello to the boys, though there was one obvious absentee.

Liz and June were good friends and wanted to keep it that way. They came to know one another through their daughters. But now, thanks to an awkward predicament, their friendship was going to be tested.

“Hi boys.” said June, until she noticed that Michael wasn't there.

Liz was in a hole here and wondering how to get out. The easy solution was to say that Michael had gone to the toilet, but what would June say when Michael failed to come back. The other problem was that John was ordering for 5, not 6. June had been told that Michael was with them, which was true of course. Liz was wondering whether it was safe to come clean.

“Oh, only the one is here.” said June when she noticed.

“June, can you keep a secret?” asked Liz, deciding to go for broke.

“Why, what is it?” asked June.

“Michelle is Michael.” said Liz. “He's transgendered.”

June sat looking at Liz for a moment. She then looked at Michael.

“You mean he thinks he is a girl?” she said eventually.

“You don't believe in this, do you?” asked Liz.

“I'm not sure that people can feel that way about themselves, especially one so young.” said June. “My husband is certainly not understanding of this.”

“Well, Michael has been through a tough few weeks, especially before Christmas.” said Liz. “He has come out as wanting to be a girl, and therefore, John and I are going to help him.”

“How can you be sure?” asked June. “I can see that he looks comfortable as he is now, but is he comfortable?”

“He is comfortable.” said Liz. “Hold on, here's John.”

John arrived with the meals and served them. He then noticed June sitting yards away.

“What's up?” he asked.

June gathered up her meal and sat at the table where the Brooks were seated. It was big enough for 8 so there was room for her and Maddy.

“So, you're letting your son live as a girl?” said June.

“Yes, but only at home.” said Liz. “We can't let him be a girl at school yet.”

“So you intend to let him attend school as a girl?” asked June.

“June, we appreciate your concerns, but we know the problems that society has with children like Michael.” said John. “He's already been diagnosed as being transgendered.”

“I like him as a girl mommy.” said Maddy, entering the conversation. “If he wants to be a girl, then he should be a girl.”

“You knew already?” asked June.

“Yes.” said Maddy. “Michelle is great fun to play with.”

June was now coming to terms with a daughter who knew more than her.

“June, all I ask is for you to respect Michael.” said Liz. “We're not asking you to agree with us, but please keep this away from the public eye.”

“So, you're going to give him hormones and such?” asked June.

“At a later date.” said John. “But please, respect him and keep this quiet.”

“I like playing with her mommy, so please be nice to her.” said Maddy.

“Alright. I'll keep quiet.” said June. “My husband might not be as tolerant but what he doesn't know won't hurt him.”

“Thank you.” said Liz. “A lot of people are too quick to judge.”

“That's true.” said June. “If your son is happier this way, surely it is for the best.”

They then turned to other talk and proceeded to eat their meals.

* * *

When they got home, Michael was stroking his wig. He had grown attached to it and didn't want to remove it.

“I'm keen to let sis brush it for me.” he said as he headed towards the stairs.

“Just a moment.” said Liz, calling him into the living room.

He ventured over and sat by her on the settee.

“Michelle, just for your information, you mustn't wear your wig in bed and it will need washing from time to time.” she told him. “But honestly, you look very pretty now.”

She gave him a hug before letting him go upstairs to join Emma.

In her room, Emma welcomed him warmly.

“You look so much prettier with long hair.” she smiled. “Now, please let me brush it.”

He sat on her bed and smiled. “I want you to.”

She got her brush and started passing it through his new wig.

“Oh Michelle, I want to thank you once more for becoming my sister.” she said to him.

“I love being your sister.” he smiled.

Meanwhile, James was playing on his DS in his room while John and Liz were in the living room discussing June's promise to keep quiet on Michael.

“It's just good of her to just keep quiet.” said Liz. “Usually, people like her don't keep quiet and make it their business to make such stories public.”

“Because those people see it as a crime and therefore deem it a crime not to report it.” said John.

“Michael loves that wig by the way.” said Liz. “No problem in getting it either. The shop assistant totally bought Michael's appearance.”

“There isn't any doubt that he enjoys dressing that way.” said John. “It was like this with Sally. She was a totally different person as a boy. Not troublesome, but sensitive and insecure. Now she is her true self and happier than ever. But you know that.”

“The only thing that worries me now is bumping into other people we know while we have Michelle with us.” said Liz.

“Hiding her forever isn't an option.” said John. “But she must lie low for now. The only safeguard is that she passes in public, which so far has been a success.”

“And school?” asked Liz.

“Wait till the end of the year. Got to see the specialist again.” said John. “Hopefully, he can help us there.”

When it came to bedtime, Michael was helped off with the wig downstairs by Liz and left it, and the hair net, with her. He was wondering why the hair net was needed.

“To keep your hair in place while the wig is on.” said Liz.

Though his own hair was long, it now felt short after experiencing the wig. He also felt out of place in his own room. After spending so much time in Emma's room, it was no surprise really, that he found himself wanting to share it with her.

“You want to sleep in Emma's room, don't you?” asked James from his top bunk.

“I would like to.” sighed Michael. “I'm happier as Michelle.”

“I can see that.” said James. “But how can you feel like a girl, when you are a boy?”

“I don't know. I just feel as though I should be a girl.” said Michael. “It feels right.”

“Coming to bed then?” asked James.

“Yes.” said Michael.

James got down so he could turn the light off, just as Michael got into bed.

* * *

The fact that Michael now wished to be room mates with his sister had reached his parents. This had already been guessed and plans to replace Emma's bed with a bunk bed had already been decided. The only thing was that Michael had been told to wait.

The reason was down to the unborn sibling that was due around May. If it was a boy, then the idea would be to have him eventually take Michael's place in the boys' room. If it was a girl, then the need for Emma's room to accommodate 3 beds became necessary.

The bunk bed that James and Michael currently shared, had been decorated with stickers over the years, mostly with Newcastle United themed stickers. The room was almost entirely decorated in the teams black and white, but for Michael getting a say and having some of the room decorated in the green and black associated with Ben 10.

As a result of all the stickers covering the bunk bed, it wouldn't do to have it transferred to Emma's room as she wanted a bed with girly décor on it. Another thing was the Ben 10 items that Michael owned. What would he do with them in a room that was all pinks and whites, rather than greens and blacks? It was a question that Michael was destined to be asked one day.

As for his friendship with Emma's friends, it was decided to keep the current state of affairs, with Michelle only being involved in the get togethers that took place in Emma's room. It was safer that way, with no opposing adults who could cause problems if Michelle was outed.

As for now, there was other problems too. If surviving the remainder of the school year with Billy still determined to get revenge was one, the other problem was Robert. How would he cope when his best friend announced that he would be coming back in September wearing a skirt, and going by the name of Michelle?

For now, that would have to wait. It wasn't even certain if that would happen. There were some things that were certain though. After being invited to Michael's birthday party, Robert had returned the favour and invited his friend to his own party in February.

For now though, Michael was looking forward to the party with his cousins. Having decided to be Cinderella, Liz and John had gone looking for pale blue dresses similar to the one worn by the Disney version of the character. They visited the Disney store in the city centre to see if they had anything. They did, even having “glass” slippers to go with the dress too. But rather than being made of glass, they were made of clear sparkly plastic.

The shopping trip was done over the weekend so that Michael could see the dresses first hand. Unlike last time, Michael was in boy mode. Emma was also looking for a yellow Belle dress too. With James and John at the football match, they stuck to shops that suited girls.

“You're really looking forward to wearing that dress, aren't you?” whispered Liz to Michael.

Michael nodded. The thought of wearing that dress gave him butterflies in his stomach.

The other thing was that Cinderella wore her hair up in the film, for the ball at least. Liz had told Michael that he could have his wig styled differently if he wished. He told her that he preferred to have his wig loose around his shoulders. He was ok with wearing a tiara though. Emma on the other hand was all for having her hair put in curlers.

With the dresses and accessories purchased, Michael was eager to go home and try on the outfit. Emma was also keen to try on her outfit too.

They spent more time looking round clothes shops and girls departments in toy stores. For once, Michael had followed his sister to the doll aisle and was admiring them with her.

“I think I should have put you in a dress today.” said Liz. “You're not even behaving like a boy.”

“Sorry mommy.” said Michael. “I will if you like.”

“You don't have to.” said Liz. “We'll head home and you can try on your dresses, but we'll stop for something to eat first.”

That's what they did. John and James were going to make their own way back, so arriving home early was no problem. Liz helped both of them off with their clothes and into the dresses. She then helped Michael with his wig and put his tiara on. Putting on the slippers was something – he had never worn any shoes without socks before. They also had a slight heel on them too, but not enough to give Michael trouble.

“Now, don't lose one of them.” smiled Liz. “Unless you want Prince Charming to come looking for you.”

Michael just smiled. He was in his mind, a princess now, and the idea of finding a prince was part of the role.

“Just one more thing for both of you.” said Liz. She took the lipgloss that she had bought and applied some to their lips.

“This tastes nice.” said Michael. “What is it?”

“Lipgloss.” said Liz. “Girls wear it to make their lips shine. It's strawberry flavour, but don't start licking it.”

Emma stood and looked at Michael and smiled.

“Two beautiful princesses, ready to go to the ball.” said Liz.

She looked at Michael especially and noted how comfortable he looked. She knew the talk of “Prince Charming” was just play talk, but in a few years time, when Michael was older, what would his attitude to boys be? For now, Liz was clearly looking at a boy who very much wanted to be a girl.

She told them that they could keep the dresses on until John came back, just so he could see how pretty his daughters looked. Until then, they stayed on their feet, twirling around so that their dresses flowed.

When they did arrive back, James was in a celebratory mood: Newcastle had won comfortably. His cheerful mood was soon tested when he saw Emma and Michael, the latter especially. He was getting used to seeing Michael in girl mode, but this was more than just girl mode, this was princess mode!

If anything was to tell James that Michael was determined to become a girl, this was it. He looked at Michael, looking resplendent in his dress and flowing medium brown wig. He couldn't see Michael at all, just a girl who looked vaguely like him.

John was also amazed at the sight, though he made an effort to give praise to Emma's appearance too.

“So, we have Princess Emma and Princess Michelle.” he said.

“You mean Belle and Cinderella.” said Emma.

“Cinderella was blonde.” said James.

“There is no fixed colour for Cinderella's hair.” said John. “I've seen Alice in Wonderland with brown hair.”

“Only Snow White had her hair colour specifically mentioned.” said Liz. “But any way James, you've got 2 wonderful sisters.”

“I want my brother back.” he sighed. He had already admitted defeat in that area, but it still hurt.

Michael looked over at James and walked over to him.

“I'm sorry bro. I like it better this way.” he said.

“I know you do.” said James. “I'll say it again, I'm going to miss you bro.”

* * *

Later that day, John gave Sally a call and asked her if she could get Michael one of the gaffs that she had got for Jessica.

“It'll take a while, as I had to order the last one.” said Sally. “I'll send them on to you when I get them.”

“Ok, thanks.” said John. “We've just got him a wig and he loves it.”

“Long hair framing his face, the feel of it on his shoulders? I know the feeling.” replied Sally. “Any way, the plan for March is sorted. It will be best if Emma and Michael sleepover at Anne's house.”

“Ok, that's fine. As long as they are back in time for school.” said John. “Well, bye then.”

“Bye.” said Sally.

There was no hurry just yet for Michael's gaff to arrive, seeing that Michelle would be restricted to home appearances mainly.

As for Michael's interest in Ben 10, it still endured. His toys remained in his own room, seeing that Emma wasn't partically interested in playing with them. She had agreed to watch the DVDs with him and agreed that Gwen was a good character.

“We'll have to get you a red wig so you can pretend to be her.” she said to him one day.

“Just need the right clothes too.” said Michael.

The only toy that he brought in to Emma's room was his teddy. She had no objections at all to this, as she had her own teddy, though unlike Michael's, which was brown, hers was white with a pink ribbon. Their bears had become good “friends” and loved having stories being read to them.

As for school, Billy still appeared to be biding his time. He and his friends had moved on to old victims and didn't seem to be showing any sign of intent towards Michael and Robert. Robert was still being cautious, as was Michael.

Michael was now aware that Billy was on a final warning, after he had been caught attacking another boy. If Billy was caught attacking Michael, or anyone else for that matter, once more, he would be expelled. He just wished that Billy would attack him, just so that would happen. There were a good many pupils who would be glad to see Billy expelled.

Michael had brought up this subject at home, only to be told not to get into trouble himself. If Billy could prove that Michael had struck the first blow, then it would be Michael, and not him, in trouble.

“But if he was expelled, the school would be a better place.” said Emma.

“No doubt it would, but the bully must be aware of it. He won't want to be expelled, as much as you want him to be.” said John.

Not wanting to get into trouble himself, Michael decided to wait for Billy to make the first move. His other mission at school was to avoid letting on to Robert about his double life. School was now the only time that Michael donned boys clothing. It was hard at first, but he was managing to do it, with the odd comment from Robert.

“It appears you get along better with your sister than I do with mine.” said Robert. “My sister is in the juniors and rarely speaks to me.”

“What does she look like?” asked Michael.

“Older and hair down to her waist.” replied Robert. “Her name is Tina. She never seems to notice me.”

“Emma is just a year older than me.” said Michael. “We do get along.”

“Good for you.” said Robert.

Michael just looked forward to going home each day so that he could become Michelle once more. He looked forward to the days when Emma's friends came round too. The next one, his second, came the following weekend. Maddy's mom had kept her word and let her daughter come.

The girls were in for a surprise when they noticed Michelle's longer hair.

“How did you grow it so fast?” asked Lucy.

“It's a wig, silly.” said Maddy, who was the only one who had seen the wig before.

“She looks so much better.” said Jenny. “Can you style it?”

“I haven't tried it yet.” said Michael. “I'd like to have it plaited though.”

“I don't know how to do that.” said Maddy. “My mommy is the only one who knows.”

“Same here.” said Jenny. “We'll have to learn.”

Their knowledge of hair styling was limited to various ponytails and pigtails. Michael settled for having his wig pulled up into a high ponytail.

Maddy decided to discuss the problem that had happened when she and her mom had met Michelle in town.

“My mom isn't convinced you're a girl.” she said. “She has agreed to keep it to herself though.”

“How can she not be?” asked Jenny. “She behaves like a girl, and she looks like a girl.”

“But I have a willy.” sighed Michael.

“Can't you get rid of it?” asked Lucy.

“I want to, but I can't.” added Michael.

“Michelle has seen a doctor about it.” said Emma. “She is going to be a real girl one day.”

“Good for you.” said Amy.

“What about your friend? What's up with her?” asked Michael to Amy.

“My friend? Oh, you mean Becky!” said Amy. “She just noticed me looking at you in class. I couldn't tell her the truth.”

“What's this about?” asked Lucy.

“Every time I see Michael, I see Michelle.” explained Amy. “I would like him to sit with me in class, but you know the rules.”

“I might be coming to school as a girl in September.” said Michael.

“Oh great! You could sit by me then.” smiled Amy. “Oh, but what about Robert?”

“I don't know.” said Michael.

“They are good friends.” said Emma.

“But isn't it obvious that Michelle belongs among us girls?” said Lucy.

“I agree.” said Jenny.

“Michelle is certainly a girl with the body of a boy.” said Maddy.

After discussing Michelle, they turned to the main part of their meeting: playing girls games.

At the end, when it was time for them to leave, they hugged Emma and Michael in turn.

“Bye Michelle. I hope you can come to school as a girl. You're such a nice friend.” said Amy.

“I hope so too.” smiled Michael.

* * *

Over the next few days, Robert was talking about his upcoming birthday party. It appeared that Michael was his only guest, but he didn't mind.

“My birthday is on the Thursday but the party is on the Saturday.” he reminded Michael.

“So, will it just be you and me?” asked Michael.

“My mom and dad, and my sister Tina too.” said Robert. “My dad said he'd get me a football shirt.”

Robert remembered, seeing the look on Michael's face, that football wasn't an area of interest for his friend.

It did, however, give Michael a topic to go on for birthday presents. Robert was a Newcastle fan, just like James, and who better to help with a present than his older brother.

“Bro. Can you help me with a present for Robert?” asked Michael later that afternoon.

James looked at his brother, now in girl mode, and wondered.

“Not often that a girl buys presents for boys.” he replied.

“He's my friend, and besides, he doesn't know me like this.” said Michael. “Any way, he likes Newcastle United.”

“Ah, I remember. Got good taste.” said James. “So you want something for a Magpies fan?”

“Yes.” said Michael. “Daddy said he'd get it for me.”

“Ok. Anything particular?”

“Not sure, but he said his daddy would be getting him a shirt.” said Michael.

“Ok. There are plenty of things.” said James. “Next time we go shopping, I'll look for you.”

“Thanks bro. Just one more thing.” said Michael.

“What's that sisbro?” asked James, using his new term for Michael.

“Don't complain about my hair length. I will have my own hair as long as this wig and that day can't come soon enough.” said Michael. “And while I'm dressed this way, I'm your sister!”

“Ok, you're my sister.” said James. “Now go play with Emma.”

“All right. She is more fun than you.” said Michael.

“Oh, is she?” said James.

“Yes she is.” said Michael.

Conversations like this proved that James was now beginning to accept Michael as a girl, plus it was showing that Michael was more confident as a girl.

For Michael, not every afternoon saw him play in Emma's room. Liz and John were keen to keep their children on their toes with schoolwork. Though they never got homework, they were encouraged to practice spelling, reading and maths. Emma had started doing the higher times tables, while Michael had just started doing the first few.

Liz was helping even more now, seeing that her pregnancy was limiting her movement. She even agreed to plait Michael's wig and showed both him and Emma how to do each others. They spent an entire afternoon practising.

“I'm struggling to see how Michael is coping at school.” she said to John, one afternoon. “Because he is so much more comfortable as a girl.”

“If he had the chance, he would go to school as a girl now.” said John. “But he seems content to be a boy just to keep his friendship with Robert. I fear he might get desperate if Robert wasn't there.”

“Apart from the girls, Robert is Michael's only friend.” sighed Liz. “If only Michael could tell him the truth about himself.”

“You know how girls and boys already sit apart, even at this early age.” said John. “But even so, it will be necessary for Robert to find out if Michael does indeed start his second year as Michelle.”

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I just hope Maddy's Mum doesn

I just hope Maddy's Mum doesn't try and blow it for Michelle to attend school come the next September, by telling everyone that she is actually a he, although that is in June's mind only. Maybe having the gaff on by then will help ease the minds of other parents and possible even some children; except the likes of Billy and his two hanger on's. Janice Lynn