Tamara's Trials - Chapter 37 "Smile for the camera"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Thirty Seven

 

"Smile for the camera"

 

 
Saturday 28th February
 

"We didn't get a chance to talk last night."

"I know, mum, it was a busy day."

"How did it go with Jill?"

"It didn't start well, but got better."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"It's not something I want to bare, but she gave me plenty to think about."

"So you don't mind seeing her still?"

"She knows me, knows my faults, and presses buttons. I hate her for that, of course."

"So you're a masochist?"

"No ....." Joan walked over and gave Tammy a hug as she wept gently.

"Why don't you get in that shower, Angela might even get down for breakfast before you?"

"Sure."

***

Tammy joined her father in the kitchen for breakfast. Both staff had the day off so it was a case of sorting themselves out.

"What time do you want to be at the shop?"

"I'm not there today."

"Okay, we're dropping Angela at the theatre just before ten, is that good enough?"

"That's fine, thanks Dad. What are you up to?"

"We're seeing Joan's solicitor, for the reading of the will. Mike Thompson is meeting us there as he's the executor."

"Isn't Angela needed?"

"Not really, but she doesn't want to be there anyway."

"I understand."

"You won't try to change her mind?"

"No, certainly not."

"That sounds like a changed Tammy."

"I figured that some things can run their course."

"What if Angela regrets her choice afterwards?"

"Then that's her choice, but I'll support it."

Angela, freshly showered, walked into the kitchen, grabbing a cereal bowl.

"Where's my orange juice?" Whined Angela.

"In the fridge, get it yourself!" Stated Tammy, with a glare from Joan who had just arrived.

The four eventually left at nine forty, dropping the two girls off at the theatre ten-ish minutes later. Many of the cast arrived soon after, complaining about the overnight snow. Iain decided they should do warm up exercises first, that met with near universal derision.

"Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, unless you're prepared and suitably relaxed, then we're not going to see your best. Now, these exercises shouldn't kill you?"

The morning progressed, badly. It wasn't deliberate but not everyone was at their best. Iain first believed there was a concerted effort to disrupt the morning, perhaps in retaliation, but a few too-many coughs, wheezes and many many nose-related issues, brought the whole rehearsal to a halt after forty five minutes.

"I can see this isn't going to work. I would dare suggest that we just give it a week but I guess it's just going to be worst. See you all in two weeks."

They all went for their coats, scarves and gloves. Spring might have been just around the corner but the snow on the ground said otherwise. Frantic phone calls were being made to various parents or other transport providers.

"Tammy, what are you doing?"

"Sarah told me not to go to the shop today, what's your plan?"

"I was thinking about going to the solicitors."

"Do you know where her office is?"

"No, do you?"

"No. Have you tried calling mum?"

"Yes, but her phone's off."

Tammy tried her father's but it just rang, either it was on silent or he'd left it in the car.

"I can't help, Angela."

"What are we going to do?"

"Let's walk into town, we can get a coffee?"

"Sure."

It should have taken ten minutes but the uncleared paths reduced their speed considerably. It was gone eleven fifteen when they arrived at the Castletown Hotel, shaking off the snow as they stepped inside.

"Good morning, Miss Smart, Miss Small."

"Good morning Frances,could we have two coffees please?"

"Certainly."

They hadn't been there more than five minutes when their parents arrived.

"What are you doing here?"

"Everyone's going down with a bug, it was unworkable."

Frances returned with their coffee. "Hello, Frances, two more coffees please, please make one a latté."

"Mum, how did it go?"

Joan looked around to see who was within earshot.

"It was easier than I thought, Mike obviously had a hand in writing it with your father so it was quite sensible."

"What does it mean for us?"

"You and your sister get ten percent of the estate each. With all the compensation, bank accounts and the house in Bletchley, the estate was worth £400,000."

"So we both get forty thousand quid?" Angela said that a little too loudly for everyone's thoughts.

"Yes, but some of it is to be held in trust until you're eighteen," she laughed quietly, "and some is held back until you finish university."

"How much?"

"Twenty thousand will have to gather interest somewhere for a few years, the rest you can have in a couple of weeks."

"What about Suzie?"

"She could have all of it now but simply wants us to invest it for her. You ought to call her later."

"Sure," Angela was try to equate her sudden wealth, "how soon will it be available?"

"Don't get impatient, the sale of the house hasn't completed yet, plus the solicitor is having fun with some of the banks in England, so it'll be a week or two before she can transfer any monies."

"Oh."

"What's the problem?"

"I just liked the idea of that in my account."

Richard answered. "Don't, you should never keep more than you need in your current account. It doesn't earn any sensible interest there plus is at risk of fraud attempts. If you needed to buy anything, then we'd help you. You must know that?"

"Yes. I've just never had more than a few hundred before."

Frances returned with the remaining coffees but stayed longer than normal.

"Mr Smart, do you think you could follow me back to my office in a minute or so?"

"Is there a problem, Frances?"

"I hope not."

Richard quickly scanned the area as Frances departed but couldn't see anything amiss. He left it a minute then walked towards the office, which Tammy pointed out. Richard knocked on the door and was admitted. A few moments later the barman came around, being joined by one of the restaurant waiting staff. They were busy clearing and cleaning adjacent tables, constantly crossing the bar and lounge areas.

In addition to this Tammy was becoming aware of someone watching them and wanted to have a look around, but that would have left Angela and Joan on their own. Her dilemma was solved when her phone rang.

"Hi Tanya."

"Hi Tammy, mum asked me to give you a call, are you busy?"

"Not exactly, why?"

"We have a couple of free slots because of some cancellations, did you and Angela want them?"

"I think Joan and Angela might, we'll be a minute."

"Okay."

Tammy kept her phone in her hand and sent her father a text:

Going to the salon, what about your coat?"
 
"I'll be out in a moment."
 
KK

"Right folks, we have an appointment, Dad's on his way back."

Joan wasn't entirely certain what was going on but played along, Angela wanted to start asking questions but was shot down by Joan.

"Come on dear, fancy forgetting you had that appointment?"

Richard now returned but wasn't looking happy. He scooped his coat up, without waiting to put it on, and made certain he wa the last one through the door into the street. The path was now clear so they made good speed to the salon.

"Tammy, I wasn't expecting everyone!"

"Hi Sandy, neither was I but something's come up. Can you look after these two for a while?"

"Sure. I think Joanne has a space if Angela wants to go through."

There was a scowl from Angela but Tanya already had her arm and was knocking on the door to the torture chamber. Joan was in Sandy's chair but wanted to know what was going on. Richard had gone back out into the street.

"I suspect someone was listening to us, unfortunately Angela may have been a little too loud."

"What did Frances want with your dad?"

"He has very good CCTV in there, he obviously wanted to show dad something."

Sandy was becoming concerned.

"Do you know what they look like?"

"No, unfortunately. I'll speak to dad and find out what I can."

Tammy went back out the door, knowing that Joan and Angela would be safe for a while. She looked around but couldn't see her father at all. She decided to back-track towards the hotel but was aware that she was on her own. Tammy recalled something Jill had said the morning before:

"...not everyone out there is out to get you."

With that in mind she walked confidently along the lane. Her phone rang.

"Where are you?"

"On my way back to the hotel, looking for you."

"Head to Sarah's shop, I'm in the back."

"Yes, Dad."

Tammy veered left and turned down an alley, this was the shortest route. It opened out at the far end and the shop was straight ahead. Behind her she could hear steps then running, but kept walking at her usual quick step. She reached the door and pushed it open. Sarah waved her through to the storeroom.

"Tammy, that was stupid."

"What was, Dad, you haven't told me anything yet?"

"Well, there were some Russians in the bar."

"There's often Russians in the hotel, the huge fish factories sometimes come into Scrabster and the crew come ashore."

"Well, one was making notes."

"So?"

"Frances saw him write numbers in his notebook and then tried to get photos of us, but the bar staff were running interference."

"Did you get a photo?"

"Yes, from the CCTV."

"Can you email it to me?"

"Why?"

"I'll pass it on to some folks in case they can ID the guy."

"I'll do that when we get home. Were you followed here?"

"I heard someone in the alley behind me."

"Do you know how to use Sarah's CCTV?"

"Yes, I was shown last week."

"Have a look back to when you came in."

Tammy wound back the time and selected one of the front street-facing cameras. This showed her walking towards the shop with someone behind her, waiting at the end of the alley. Tammy zoomed in one the face.

"That's him, Tammy." She used her phone to take a photo of the image on the monitor. As she allowed time to move forward, he waited until Tammy was inside the shop then disappeared back along the alley.

"I ought to call someone."

"You can hardly call out MI5 when we don't know what is going on."

"Dad, we have to do something. Where's the car?"

"In the carpark, why?"

"Look, we need to check the car over, if we find something there then we get the police involved, right?"

"We need to let Joan and Angela know what's going on."

"I'll let Tanya know, Angela won't have her phone nearby and Joan's busy in the chair."

She sent a text to Tanya, knowing that the girl always had her phone handy.

We might have a security problem, make sure Joan and Angela don't leave until we get back

A reply came quickly.

Okay Miss Bond

The pair slipped out of the back door after checking the cameras and made their way to the carpark. Richard had driven his Land Rover Freelander back from their solicitor appointment and left it exposed at the edge of the carpark. He went to activate the unlocking button on his key but Tammy stopped him.

"Don't, not yet."

Tammy had chosen a mid calf length heavy skirt that morning but she was soon looking under the car, her skirt dragging on the icy salted tarmac. Richard was looking around the front but wasn't expecting to find anything.

"Here's something!"

Tammy held her phone close and took a picture of the small device, about the size of a matchbox.

"Have a look, Dad, but don't touch it. I'm calling the police."

Tammy stepped away from the car and dialled 999, although the pan-European 112 would have worked just as well.

"Hello, which service do you require?"
 
"Police, please."
 
"Police Scotland, what is the nature of the emergency?"
 
"I've discovered a device on the underside of our car and we were being followed earlier."
 
"What type of device?"
 
"Match box sized and I have no intention of removing it."
 
"I have your location as Meadow Lane carpark in Thurso. What's your name please?"
 
"Tamara Smart."
 
"Thank you Miss Smart, a unit has been despatched."

Tammy thanked the operator but could hear a siren almost immediately. A marked unit arrived, quickly followed by a plain car. Two uniformed officers Tammy didn't recognise walked towards her.

"Hello Miss, is it your car?"

"No, my father's."

"Do you know of anyone who might play a trick on you?"

"No, I am taking this very seriously, given the number of attempts on my life in the past few months."

One of the officers was clearly not of the believing sort and started to laugh. Chief Inspector Iain Brown wasn't far behind him.

"PC Trethgarwyn, cut that out now or you'll find yourself checking cattle passports."

He walked forward to see where Tammy indicated.

"Right." He took his radio and issued a message to his control. The two uniformed officers were meanwhile tasked with setting up an exclusion zone.

"Let's walk a safe distance away, Tammy, I'd like to get some background before Special Branch turn up."

"Those goons?"

"They're not all bad. What made you check the car?"

Tammy and Richard explained that lunchtime's events. They both showed the images captured from CCTV.

"So it could be someone interested in the inheritance, or much worst?"

"Indeed, sorry Iain, but I need to make a call."

"The mobile networks will have been disabled temporarily."

"Oh well." Tammy looked for Sophie's number, it was answered immediately.

"What's going on Tammy?"

"Device under Dad's car, plus we've been followed."

"Okay, are the police there yet?"

"Yes, I'm with Chief Inspector Iain Brown. I know him."

"Can I speak to him?"

"Sure."

Tammy handed her phone over to Iain, he gave it back a minute later.

"Well, young lady, it seems that the counter terrorism unit at New Scotland Yard are concerned for you."

"I have some good friends."

"And a phone that works when it shouldn't."

"Really good friends."

"I've also just been told your file requires high level security access, by your friend in high places.

Tammy smiled sweetly.

"She's not in high places, in Cornwall actually, but DS Grieve gets things done."

"That PC Trethgarwyn's from Cornwall."

Iain's radio burst into life, he walked away to converse with his control room. Further police vehicles arrived in the carpark.

"Tammy, what's really going on here?"

"I wish I knew Dad, what worries me most is how long that might have been under the car?"

A plain clothes officer now approached and started to ask detailed questions. As he seemed to be ignoring Tammy she went in search of Iain.

"Angela and her mum are in the hairdressers, they'll not know where we got to."

"I'll ask an officer to go around there."

Tammy was looking around the carpark as he spoke, a crowd was starting to gather with several drivers complaining that they wanted to get at their cars. She spotted the Russian and pointed him out to Iain, who then spoke to one of the many plain clothed officers. He sent Tammy back to her father, where she was still being ignored. Suddenly there was shouting from across the carpark as officers handcuffed the Russian.

"Let me go!"

"Dad, that doesn't sound very Russian."

"I'd agree."

The non-Russian had now been delivered to Iain who was not looking impressed. Even at a distance she could see the guy being searched and that Iain wasn't happy. After a few minutes the guy was put in the back of a police car. Iain walked over.

"The man's a journalist, he disguises himself so today he's a Russian seaman. He's doing a story on George Small."

"Not on me?"

"No Tammy, but that doesn't mean he knows nothing about you."

"Was he responsible for the tracker?"

"Yes, and how do you know it was a tracker?"

"A lucky guess. Who's removing it?"

"The bomb squad."

"Why?"

"We only have his word that it's a tracker, so we don't take the risk."

"Great, how long before they arrive?"

"Their chopper is half an hour away."

Tammy sighed. "Dad, it's nearly one, we might as well have lunch?"

"If we'll achieve nothing else, hadn't you better call the spooks?"

"Sure." Tammy glowed crimson as Iain was still stood there.

"Spooks?"

"Errrr. Sorry, Iain, but I've signed the Official Secrets Act."

"So have I, several times."

"What I meant is that I can't say, but you can be assured that DS Grieve is genuine, even if she doesn't work for the Met all the time."

"Have you ever met her?"

"We had dinner a couple of weeks ago. They were at George Small's inquest."

"They?"

"DI Edmunds was there."

"I remember a DI Edmunds arriving during that trouble at Christmas."

"Same guy."

"Okay, but please be careful young lady."

"I will, lunch?"

"'Fraid not, I'm the silver commander for this operation. I wasn't even supposed to be working today but went to my office to clear some paperwork when we finished early."

"Dedication to duty?"

"No, I'll plead insanity. Go have some lunch, this'll take another hour."

Richard and Tammy first went to the hotel and booked a table before going to the salon.

"Where have you been and what's going on?"

"Hello Joan, Angela. There's been a bit of a scare and someone was following us, making notes. He's been arrested but there's a tracker attached to the car which they won't remove until the bomb squad turn up."

"Great, how long will that take?"

"An hour, so we've booked a table. Come on."

"Angela hasn't had her nails done yet."

"They can wait, lunch can't."

The four walked back to the hotel.

Tammy's phone rang whilst they were just finishing lunch. She took the call outside.

"Hi Sophie."

"Hi Tammy, what's the update?"

"It looks like this journalist was doing a story on George Small and put a tracker on the car."

"Did you get his name?"

"No, sorry, but I did get one name. There's a PC Trethgarwyn here, from Cornwall."

"Really?"

"Yes, I know the likelihood of you knowing who I'm talking about is pretty low."

"Strangely, I do know that name, thanks for that. So you don't think you were the target?"

"No, but we need to make certain Angela keeps her mouth shut!"

"Of course, have the bomb squad arrived?"

"I heard the chopper about fifteen minutes ago."

"Right."

There was a flash of light from the carpark, followed by a huge explosion, causing the ground to shake.

"Tammy, Tammy, what was that?"

"I think our car exploded."

up
416 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oooops

NoraAdrienne's picture

I think the car exploded! so much for a tracking device. I'm curious as to how they'll report this to the insurance company for a claim.

Insurance claims

WillowD's picture

My dad, while living in a gated fenced in community, had to report a herd of cattle waded through his lawn and turned it into mud. In another incident, a tree fell onto his car. Unfortunately it had to go through the garage and a boat to reach the car. I think insurance companies get some pretty weird claims.

Wonder who the real target was

I hope we find that the bomb squad decided that the safest thing to do was to detonate the bomb instead of removing it. That would mean that no one was hurt.

The question is who the bombers were really after. It could have been someone angry at Joan and Angela, someone still out to get Tammy, or someone targeting George for some reason. It also sounds like there were more people around town than just that journalist.

I guess that Thurso is about to get even more crowded with security specialists.

Goodness !

So, the matchbox was not the only device? I suppose it depends on the size of an English match box?

Gwen

matchbox

A matchbox would easily provide enough explosive to blow up car depending on location near the gas tank or fuel lines.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Contrary to popular opinion......

D. Eden's picture

Gasoline does not explode. When vaporized, gasoline makes a powerful explosive - two drops properly vaporized in air has the same explosive power as a stick of dynamite, hence the idea behind a fuel/air bomb, or more commonly known today as a thermobaric explosive.

Unfortunately, the scenes of cars exploding in crashes, or on impact, or falling from a cliff, etc. are just so much Hollywood dramatization. Gasoline does burn very well, igniting easily and creating a very hot fire - hence the reason why the Sherman tanks so widely used in WWII were referred to as "Ronsons" after the popular cigarette lighter. Most military vehicles burn diesel fuel as it is less flammable, but for whatever reason the Sherman had a gasoline engine.

Bottom line, the placement of the bomb close to a fuel line or fuel tank would not create a larger explosion - just a very nasty fire after the explosion. Now an empty gas tank filled with gasoline fumes could conceivably explode.......

But without the addition of nitrates, or proper vaporization, the gasoline would not explode.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

A Bomb?

Hokey smokes! A Bomb? Into what has our girl fallen?

Red MacDonald

Badda boom, badda bing?

Badda boom, badda bing?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

wow!

naughty Shiraz!!!, I drag myself out the darkened room where I was suffering from Tamara withdrawal symptoms and you suddenly post a brilliantly exciting episode, now where are the tranquilizers! I bet the Land Rover garage will be a bit miffed when Richard goes back in and orders another one and be quick about it!

Oh My

Thanks for the new Chapter Shiraz. You've really got cliff hangers down pat.

Tamira

rlarueh007's picture

Looks like Angy been teaching cliffhangers again!

Not nice.

"Well, young lady, it seems that the counter terrorism unit at New Scotland Yard are concerned for you."

"I have some good friends."

"And a phone that works when it shouldn't."

"Really good friends."

One moment I am having a good chuckle and then "BOOM!"

Not nice Shiraz, leaving us hanging like that. And not nice of the bomber.

Not nice at all.

Looking forward to the next twist.

Stupidity

jacquimac's picture

For a Chief Inspector Iain Brown seems bloody stupid. a possible car bomb and he uses a radio.
Anyone with any training in terrorism etc would know you never use a radio or mobilephone in this sort of situation as you wouldn't now the radio frequency that would set it off, that is why mobile phone networks etc are neutralised.

Good job they are wealthy If the car has exploded due to a bomb it would cancel their insurance as acts of terrorism are exemptions for Insurance companies to pay out

The reason they supress the

The reason they supress the cellular phones is that most of the bombs are set off _by_ cellular phone. It's not the old concern about induction in the detonators that they had in the 60's through 80's with CB radios, and even the early high power _analog_ cellular phones.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Oh Cr_p!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Thank god they weren't in it.

Sounds like things are getting more complex.
Now what?

>i< ..:::

Boom!

Shiraz, you know how to leave us hanging! I'm loving it!

Hugs
Gina

Very astute by Tammy and her

Very astute by Tammy and her Dad regarding their being followed and checking out the various CCTVs to see if they could ID the person or persons. Should a really interesting car insurance claims adjustment, if they use claims adjusters in Scotland and/or England. Definitely not an everyday claim "that my car just blew up". Janice Lynn

The County Of Midsomer

joannebarbarella's picture

Such a nice pleasant rural location in England and every week they manage a murder or two. Well, it looks like the little town of Thurso at the northern tip of Scotland is the BCTS equivalent.

So we're wondering who they (whoever they are) were after.

I suspect that reporter,

if he was a reporter, life just got very complicated.

Quiet down

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy and Richard need to set the families down and explain about not exclaiming any personal information in crowded places. Angela really needs to wise up and take keeping quiet seriously. Loudly proclaiming the amount she and Suzie will receive only gave more information to the reporter.

Speaking of which, what interest does he have in George to do a story on him? Has he been put up to it? Is he trying to vilify Tammy, Joan, Angela, and the school? After the attempts on Tammy, that reporter should be grilled extensively. Threatened even.

Is that new PC going to be a problem? He didn't believe what Tammy was saying, taking it all as some joke and had to be reined in by Iain. Wonder if he's connected to one of the morons?

Was the boom Richard's Rover? It so, why? Was it one of Yvonne's morons trying to get back at them? It wouldn't have been the reporter since he wants information, and killing them would end any chance of getting information. How about the drug dealers? Maybe they think Tammy or Richard can identify them?

There are going to be a whole lot more questions if it was the Smart vehicle which went to pieces.

Others have feelings too.