714: Sgt Joe

Printer-friendly version

714: Sgt. Joe

An undercover police officers assignment goes very wrong. Part of a multi-thread story for Erin's BC Strangefellows Day contest. Latest Edition, honest

* * * *

I have memories of that night that come—and-go like will-o-wisps, but the last I can recall, I heard shouting, lights sweeping the waters and a distant loud splash. I was nearly gone when an arm snagged me and clamped around my waif-ish body. It squished one of my boobies, painfully. I distinctly remember that’s what I thought at the moment. I don’t remember much after that. I do remember wondering why my boobies were so tender and … Guys don’t have …~~

714: Sgt. Joe -- part of my complete enought for now What's so novel about it? entry

This was originally posted as a teaser from a pre-edit draft of my Strangefellows Day contest entry. I had started on several stories for the contest when I realized two were closely related to an earlier story of mine. This was originally from the least complete thread of the three related stories. It is now the most complete of the two main stories, the third being folded into other other main thread, 714: By the Book. That merged third *thread* was an offshoot of charaters I first created a year ago for the contest story The Day yhe Earth Stood Still or Happy Alternative New Years.

The Day the Earth Stood Still is not part of the entry but reading it helps you to understand some of the charaters in parts of 714.

Oops, forgot to warn you to look at it in the miror only, one must never gaze upon the face of the Gorgon directly.

714: Sgt. Joe

This is an entry in Erin’s BC Strangefellows Day contest. See, that was easy, John. Okay, I’ll admit it wasn’t so bad, John. — Sorry but I’m having a convesation with myself --

Your constructive criticism and advice is appreciated; let’s face it, this gets addictive after a while. I’m an applause junkie, I admit it. This is an exercise in the joys of creativity and in appreciation of furgle-bargele. Damned MS Word keeps barflagating my worms. Gwelb! Any violations of copyright, trademark or use of real people or incidents are purely for purposes of humor or parody and done solely for the free enjoyment of the reading public. All rights reserved in perpetuity, John from Wauwatosa WI, 2007.

Adult content advisory: this story may contain situations and topics unsuitable for children. It’s mild stuff usually, but you were warned.

714: Sgt. Joe

By John from Wauwatosa
Proofed by a blithering idiot, me
Holly Logan, helped proof most of this latest post but tried to hide her name.
P.S. This header and the last few scenes are my fault alone, don't blaim Holly
Thanks to Kiai for some useful sugestions I may or may not have used

* * * *

The PA in the precinct blared. "Sergeant Joe Friday to the Chief's office at once!" I heard a snicker just before the microphone was switched off.

I hurried to the Chief's office, as being late would have unfortunate repercussions. I couldn't help it my parents christened me Joseph Aloysius Friday but why did I choose to enter law enforcement, why, why, why? I must have a masochistic streak a mile wide to have done that. The department was cool about it; I was immediately assigned badge number 714. I earned sergeant on merit, I'll have you know. Oh, when this whole mess started I'd just turned 24 and had been a sergeant, um … 37 hours.

Back to being me, Joseph A. Friday, and a cop; the day I became a full- fledged officer was the proudest of my life, until the goon-squad saw my badge number. Then it started and it was less than subtle.

"Hey where is Officer Bill Gannon?"

"Joe, you really should get a buzz cut."

"Friday? I thought it was Thursday."

"Joe, that was dum-da-um-dumb on your part."

You get the picture; my life went hell in a Hollywood scriptwriter's hand basket.

I was working the day watch out of Bunko when …ha! I got you, didn't I? You could practically smell the monotone, couldn't you? I'm told I have a normal, if not animated manner of speech which puts the constant jokes about Dragnet to shame. Still, they come, but what's a guy to do? I love helping people and my hackles rise at the sight of injustice. I have a soul, so being a lawyer was out. That's why I'm a cop.

The Chief wanted me because I was new in the district, my face was unknown and…

"Be honest, Sir, I'm new, and thus expendable." I was never one to mince words.

"I wouldn't put it that way, but there is some truth to it. We have a bad situation, and too little solid intelligence on it. You know of the spate of disappearances in the latest month or two?"

"The half-dozen college students who disappeared from the river front bar district and were never seen again? We get frequent reminders about it in our daily briefings."

"It's worse than that, Officer Friday. There is a separate problem that turns out is intimately related. You know of the several instances of people claiming to have lost their memories, but are convinced they are in the wrong bodies?"

"The speculation was a bad batch of illegal amphetamines had hit the street. It supposedly fucked up their brains. Sorry, that was unbecoming of an officer. Anyway, the word is they're psych cases."

"Several of the earliest patients recently claimed their memories were returning and the details they gave forced their doctors to test their DNA to prove they were not who they claimed to be."

"So, what were the results?"

"They were a perfect match to the persons they claimed to be except for one detail, their 46th chromosome pair … was changed. A couple had fingerprints on file — they had jobs that required a criminal background check -- and they matched exactly, though the size of the prints had changed. One had a blood sample stored in a lab from a previous surgery, it tested identical except for being of the opposite sex. The doctors were shocked, you can well imagine."

"But how is it possible? This is fantastic. It's something out of a bad sci-fi novel or witchcraft."

"We suspect the latter but haven't ruled out the former. Don't give me *that* look. Magic is real. It's definitely low profile, and deliberately so, but it does exist. We need, that is, I need you to go undercover as a student. You'll take courses and do everything as a student, even live in student housing. Make friends and party; be a normal student. With luck you'll get invited to go out drinking and can flush out the criminals."

"But I'm 25, I'm a little old." So I lied, but 25 sounds so much more mature than 24.

"Your cover is that you are returning to college after a hitch in the army as an MP. That way if you spout any police jargon, it will be excused. You can claim you were disillusioned by the experience. You joined the police after your discharge, as you had no other skills but became disgusted with the corruption and resigned in protest. Surely you can find something about police work that upsets you, *Friday.*"

He said *Friday* in a particularly annoying tone of voice. I caught on fast.

"*That* should do it. You mean I'm going under cover as me? But there are public records of me as a police … I'm to fake my resignation? But I was never in the military; if someone checks my background I'll be sunk."

"I will take care of that personally. You military records will be beyond question. You look younger than your real age of twenty-four, which will help you fit in at the university. I must warn you, there is a strong possibility of a mole in the department, or in the local courts. As you are new here, you are considered a low risk. This will be difficult; you will get heat from some of the hard line officers. I'm sorry, but it has to be for your cover to be convincing."

"This sounds like an old movie plot."

"I watch a lot of movies, Officer Friday. Joe, I have a contact who will watch out for you, but she can only do so much. If you are successful in attracting the attention of the *perps,* you could be a victim too."

"You mean I'll become a ... female," I whispered.

"Yes, but you'll retain your genetics. You won't become a Chinese girl or African American or something else you are not. You would be a female you, but a best-of version of your female self."

"That makes me feel so much better — not. Is it reversible?"

"That's a yes and no, Joe. If the specific spell or charm used can be found, or better yet, the person who cast it is wiling to help, it can be reversed safely after a few months have passed. Any sooner is too much of a shock, and mixing magics is dangerous."

"I'm confused."

"I am too. I've been told to think of it like radioactivity. Magic has a half-life. After a sufficient span of time, most magical energy decays to a safe level. I can't order you to do this, but volunteering will look very good in your record once I can make it public. I promise you this, Joe, if the worst happens you will be assured a position in the department, and it won't be a dead-end make-work position either. We stand by our own, and I'm told none of the victims lost any knowledge or intelligence, just temporarily, their personal memories. Whoever is doing this is not completely malicious. We discovered that once a victim has fully recovered their memory, they are as bright as before their transformation and sometimes brighter.

"Fully recovered? You mean they've been restored to their original ... In that case, yes, I accept. Why are you looking at me like that?"

"The victims are stuck as they are for now, sorry, Joe. The DA is working hard to get all their records fixed so they can access their assets and continue their education, but it's not easy. A couple of the victims were a bride and her maid of honor on a girl's night —out/ bachelorette party. They both took it hard. The bride almost succeeded in killing himself. She's under close supervision to prevent another attempt. Her friend blamed herself for what happened. Apparently the bride rarely drank and she wanted her to loosen up for once. The marriage is off, possibly forever, and the bridesmaid is in a coma from a drug overdose. She, I mean, he, is in bad shape.

"This is case is a top priority and … the man in a coma was, is, the only daughter of my late bother. You understand why I need to see an end to this horror?"

"In that case, I agree. Can I interview the victims?"

"Too dangerous, you might be observed. I have all their testimony on several encrypted DVD's. They also include your instructions on how to proceed. I want you to take them home and review them. Show them to no one and make no copies. The password is …" he whispered a nonsense phrase to me which I memorized at once. "Joe, if the worst happens; I'd be proud to call you my daughter if that's what it takes. One way or another; I'll make it right."

"I don't know what to say. I'll read the materials and do my best. Thank you for your confidence and your support, *Daddy*."

"I've created a monster. Go!"

* * * *

I took the DVDs with me and watched them at home. The testimony of the survivors made me angry and apprehensive. I was angry that someone would do this to anyone, especially innocents. I was apprehensive, because I knew this could, and likely would happen to me if I was successful. If I was unsuccessful, I might die, or worse.

That worried me the most, the seeming inevitability of my becoming a female. The Chief and the experts on magic had concluded that to succeed in catching the persons responsible I needed to become a victim, I needed to be transformed. The *plan* was to make myself a tempting target and my support team would catch them in flagrante delicto. If we were extraordinarily lucky it would before they could use whatever is was that would transform me, be it a potion, spell, mystical object, a summoned demon, whatever.

It was as likely, maybe more likely — the experts disagreed — I'd end up a member of the fairer sex. If -- notice the growing pile of *ifs* -- my support team caught the suspects after they'd begun my transformation, I would be wearing a bra and panties for some months to come until I could be restored. This was *if* the potion, spell, mystical object, summoned demon, whatever was not destroyed, lost or so on. I began to believe skirts were in my future but that our perps would get caught. I hoped we could do it soon and get control of the means they used to do it, for the sake of the victims … and myself.

I had another worry. As a man, I wasn't exactly what you would call masculine. Oh, I was a man in every way that counted and I had compared *notes* in the locker-room in school and the police academy. I was properly equipped, if you know what I mean. My problem was, I was six foot even, 155 pounds. I was wiry, but no muscleman. The Chief said I looked younger than my years, that was true, but it only told part of the story. I had inherited my father's sense of righteous indignation tempered by my mothers caring soul. I inherited my fathers drive to excel and athletic abilities. He had been a top track and field man in high school, then later, a defensive back in college as he bulked up in his late teens and early twenties. Both my parents were intelligent people and I inherited that.

What I also inherited was the build and good looks of my mother. Mom was a classic Irish lass, picture Maureen O'Hara with pale freckled skin, and reddish blonde hair. She was a tall, willowy woman with an angel's face, the Devil in her eyes, and breasts like a stripper. I know it's not nice to describe one's mother like that but I can't deny it. Mom was a grade *A *Celtic babe. Being a man, I didn't have her impressive chest or womanly hips, separated by that tiny waist … My God, I'm lusting for my mom!

Given my genetics, was it a wonder I sometimes got mistaken for a tall girl? That's how bad it was. I had my mother's hair as well, so the best I could do was grow a small mustache, not really worth it. I had to shave daily, but if I missed a day you had to be close to notice. If it hadn't been for a glib tongue and fast feet, I might have caught more than my share of beatings at school. Some tried, because there seems to be a never ending supply of aggressive idiots out there who love to bully others. Between the Irish dance lessons, and the self defense courses mom and dad insisted I take as a child, few ever picked on me, and the few who did, wished they hadn't. I did have a girlfriend for a while in school, all of my sophomore and junior years. She was a lovely girl, but one of her parents got a promotion that required them to move to Shreveport, Louisiana and that was the end of that. We still write each other on occasion. She's married to a really nice guy; I met him and he's good man, damn him.

College came and followed quickly by the police academy and a couple years fulltime duty in exciting, dynamic Superior Wisconsin, as in Duluth —Superior, the Riviera of the North. Oh joy! This is where they send people on exile them now that the Soviet Gulag is dismantled. I hear it's a tossup between good old D-S and Bozeman Montana for punishing FBI agents who receive bad performance reviews. To compound my *enjoyment*, because I was the youngest both chronologically and physically, I was occasionally used as a light undercover officer at the local colleges and high schools. I had been required to grow my hair longer to look the part. By the time I left the almost *Great White North* my hair was shoulder-length.

Being accepted for the La Cross force was a happy day. To find a few months later I had made Sergeant was heaven , except it also revived the Joe Friday jokes with a vengeance. I didn't care, to be honest, but it gave me the seed I needed to convince the department I'd quit in anger. A solid cover was critical to my undercover assignment. A bad cover would mean failure or worse. I was used to the longer hair by the time I transferred to La Cross and kept it in a male ponytail. I thought it made me looked tough, like a biker. What it made me was the Chief's first choice to be transmutation fodder. I was determined to make a success of this assignment, but then I am a stubborn, like my mom.

* * * *

I had an unpleasant duty to perform but unless I was convincing, this entire undercover mission would be for naught. The Chief had provided me with some evidence of malfeasance on the force, corruption, racism and abusive behavior. Some was only suspected, some had been confirmed but disciplinary activity had been delayed in favor of using the evidence as an excuse for my resignation. Only one officer was likely guilty of a serious offence --taking *bribes* from a prostitute -- but it was enough ammunition for the Chief's and my needs.

I walked up to reception in my dress uniform, carrying a thick folder under my arm and put on my best *determined* face. "I need to see the Chief immediately, it's important."

"Sergeant Joe, the Chief is busy at the moment. If you wish to make an appointment …"

"This is extremely important. Tell him I must see him at once or this goes to the press and the State Attorney General's office." I gave the desk officer my most serious look.

"Chief, Sergeant Joe is here, he says he must see you at once. I think it's a serious matter, Sir … Yes." "You may go in now."

* * * *
"Yes, Sergeant, what was so important it couldn't wait?"

"This is," I said as I dropped the folder on his desk. "This is evidence of corruption and misconduct by various members of this department. I stumbled onto it soon after I started here, but I didn't believe it until I did some digging." "These are serious accusations. Are you certain of your facts, Sergeant?" The Chief spoke in a defensive tone.

"There is enough here to force several resignations, and possibly lead to prosecution. The ball is in your court."

"This will take time to investigate."

"It's all there except for dotting the *i*s and crossing the *t*s, Sir"

"That may be but I must still have this independently verified. I commend your diligence, Sergeant, but you have put me and the department in an awkward position. In the meantime, for your protection and to avoid disruptions in this department, I am putting you on indefinite leave, with pay"

"What kind of crap is that, Sir?"

Things kinda deteriorated after that until …. "I quit!" I practically tore off my uniform and handed him all my equipment that wasn't my own property. I stormed out of his office, muttering the foulest abuse I could think of. The guys in the station got a nervous laugh at my expense, as I had to hold my pants up since I now had no belt.

This exchange was all according to the script on his encrypted DVD but it hurt never the less. I'd only known him a couple months, but he had been good to me, an ideal commander for an officer with my limited experience. The tears streaming down my red face as I left didn't hurt my credibility. They weren't planned, they just happened. I worried that some officers might take that as a sign I was gay, or somehow unmanly, but I put it out of my mind or tried to. I knew logically the intent of the blowup was to legitimize my sudden departure, but part of me didn't like it. I worried I had burned bridges no amount of statements on my behalf by the Chief could rebuild.

* * * *

This plan had been put together on short notice, due to necessity and to reduce the odds of a leak. This meant I had to endure in-person registration, the cattle-call of college life. I filled out a form indicating my preferred area of study. I took a battery of tests, ACT, SAT, ABCDEFG or whatever. This took an entire day, and all I would get out of it would be a list of courses I would need to take to satisfy my base requirements for graduation, and a sore butt.

My proctor was an overdressed young woman — vintage clothes with a excess of lace -- with color traces on her cuticles that hinted at her having recently worn black nail polish. I could see five or more holes per ear and other place, many with small keeper studs. I was fairly certain she was a Goth in her free time and likely a student employee helping to pay her way through school. She seemed even less enthused to be stuck in that windowless room than I was. I was her only test taker, but she had to keep an eye on me at all times to ensure the results were honest, what with text messaging camera phones and the like being so common. Other than my instructions, and to call time when I hadn't finished a test, she never spoke to me.

~~Strange woman but then who am I to point fingers?~~

* * * *

When I returned the next day to meet with an admissions official and learn the results, I decided to act and look the student I would be masquerading as. I wore comfortable yet fashionable clothes, and generally affected a more relaxed look than I did as an officer,

An admissions counselor looked over my exam results and my preferred area(s). I absentmindedly brushed my hair back out of my eyes, I'd skipped the ponytail today just to be different.

"I see you chose pre-law as your area of study. Are you thinking of becoming a lawyer, Josie … I beg your pardon, Joseph?"

I let her momentary goof slide. "I am, more correctly I was a police officer and … let's say I was not in agreement with the way things were done. I figured I'd be happier and better off if I fought the system with its own tools, rather than being part of the problem. Becoming a lawyer seems the most productive way to do that." "Welcome to the University, Joseph. And I am sorry about assuming you were a woman, I …"

"It will give me something to laugh about when I am old, don't sweat it."

The counselor smiled and continued. "In person registration is tomorrow starting at seven o'clock in the Memorial Student Union. Good luck, some of the classes you need may be hard to get. Get in line for the most important ones first and your elective courses last. And if you get stuck, get on the waiting list and show up for the first few classes. A lot of students drop early in the semester, so space often opens up after the first class or two."

"Thanks, I'll remember that." On the way out, I grabbed a course catalog, campus map and map showing the layout of the in person registration by department. I hurried home to prepare for my first day on my own.

I spent that evening with a course catalog and multiple colors of highlighter pens, marking class combinations that didn't interfere with each other. Afterwards, I again reviewed the encoded DVDs of the victims and the Chief's instructions. I ate a good supper and went to bed. Now all I had to do was get up before dawn, endure a gauntlet of lines to get my classes, make myself a target, and get bewitched into a woman, piece of cake.

* * * *

Forewarned that in-person could be an ordeal, I prepared accordingly. I ate a hearty breakfast, and wore my most comfortable jeans, tennis shoes, shirt and a vest. I though it looked rebel/preppy. I found out otherwise, later. I selected sodas, snacks and sandwiches sufficient to last until dark, and loaded them into my backpack with all my necessary registration materials. I made sure I had a large supply of pencils, a sharpener, a mini flashlight and a fistful of black ballpoint pens for form filling, and a huge clipboard to write on. I was ready for anything. Locking my apartment, I walked to the bus stop and rode to campus.

* * * *

I got to the Memorial Union as they opened the doors to let everyone in, hustling to be near the front of the line for my most crucial course.

As I was leaning against a wall, filling out a form for this class as I waited for my turn with the department representatives,the man immediately behind me in line spoke. "I see you're signing up for the eight o‘clock Monday/Wednesday/Friday session. Are you in Business administration, or the School of Education?"

"Pre-law." I was supposed to act like a student and socializing was a big part of it.

"You too? That's great. Sorry, I'm Jesus, that's spelt like the son of God, but pronounced Hey-soos. I'm part Puerto Rican. And you are?" I laughed at his joke. "I'm Joe, and I'm part Irish."

"It will be great having a tall Irish lass like you in class, Jo. You remind me of a young Nicole Kidman. You really should let your hair grow out more, not that it isn't cute as it is."

My response was to laugh. I had to struggle to get though my turn with the instructors handling registration for the department. Anytime I saw or heard Jesus I broke up. As I got my course selection confirmed and turned to leave, I was consulting my map for the next course when the young man came up again.

"I didn't mean anything, Miss. My pickup line wasn't that bad, was it?"

"N_n_n_n _oo except for the fact I'm not into men."

"I'm … forgive me I didn't realize you were a lesbian, my bad."

"Jesus, would you please stop assuming things? I'm a guy! So settle down."

"You a guy, never! I mean, you have … breasts." He pointed at my heaving breasts, um chest … ~~These look like breasts?!~~

I looked at my chest, I had handkerchiefs in the upper inside pockets of the vest and it gave the illusion of cleavage. I opened the vest to show him he was mistaken. "I'm a boy."

"Just because you don't want to date me, doesn't mean you have to lie. So you're a little skinny, most girls have to diet to look like a model. I bet you'll fill out nicely in your freshman year. They say the average student gains ten to fifteen pounds, and with your build I bet it will be in all the right places."

"Want me to drop my pants?"

"If you're really a guy, no. Otherwise, I have an off-campus apartment …" . Jesus became my first friend on campus. I wished he'd change the spelling though, it sounds like I'm a religious fanatic when I talk about him. We're still friends, good friends. He has even remained one since word leaked I was an undercover cop. In fact, I'm seeing him tonight but more about that later.

* * * * . My feet were sore from standing and walking. My butt was sore from hours of sitting. My shoulders were sore from lugging my backpack all day, and my fingers wanted to cramp from all the form filling. I got my courses, not necessarily at the hours I preferred, but I got them. That left me Friday and Saturday to get my textbooks and plot out my way between classes.

* * * *

There was more to this than just looking the part of a student and *bait*, the encrypted DVD's had contained a shocker. Though there was considerable uncertainty because of the small sample size —i.e. not a lot of transformees were known to exist — there appeared to be a correlation between the victims.

It was not the *school,* or subject that mattered, it was about the students themselves. None were members of the Greek system, though over half had attended fraternity or sorority parties within a few weeks of their disappearance/ transformation. Though they were not all virgins — only two were — they were not highly experienced sexually. None had a close relative on campus, and all were either loners or had a limited circle of friends, few of whom were close friends.

This would be our edge in getting the perps to take the bait. I would act the bitter outsider, the rebel ex-cop. I would be distrustful of authority and most any organized group. And I would act the frustrated, awkward sexual neophyte. Sadly, that last role was near to typecasting. I didn't have the muscles or the high profile school sports experience to attract the gals. I was a studious type and I had a build like my mother before she developed. I even sounded a lot like her, for a guy's voice it was on the high end but okay.

I remembered as a senior in high school I had an English teacher who was more than little bit quirky. She had us read a Shakespeare play but with the girls reading the guy's parts and visa versa. Some of they guys gave me a hard time about it after.

"Damn, Joe, if you were a woman I'd have cum in my pants when you read your lines. Are you sure you're not a girl?"

"But Greg, if I were a girl could I keep my hands off your godlike body?" I said as sexily as I could.

"You're a guy."

I forgot to mention Greg was a skinny as a rail, but respectable on the school track and cross-country teams.

I loved women, I desired them. The thought of wearing their clothes did not occur to me, and the though of a man's penis up my ass revolted me. It may be fine for others but I was, to quote Red Dwarf's Ace Rimmer, ‘strictly butter- side up.' And here I was trying to trick the criminals into swapping my meat and two veges for a garden of delights. Sorry, I got this phrase book recently and I can't help myself.

* * * *

Eight o'clock the following Monday, fall classes began. A fifty-something, skinny man walked up to the front of the huge — three hundred-and-fifty seat — lecture hall. He looked so much like B.F. Skinner I had to force myself not to break up.

"Good morning and welcome to Introduction to Human Psychology 108 or Psychology for Dummies as my TA's like to refer to it. If you intend to make psychology or human behavior your field of study, you are wasting your time here. If you plan to go into business, teaching, law and the like, this is tailor-made for you. If you study hard you will know just enough to be dangerous." That got a laugh from the class. Professor Skinner Mark II would be fun, I could tell.

Not all my classes were like this. My college algebra instructor was a TA. He was boring and had a difficult to understand accent. This would be a tough class to keep up with. Business writing was straightforward, as were most of my other courses. The last class, my two o'clock Tuesday/Thursday was a surprise. It was a course on late 20th century politics and was contentious from the start. The instructor was an associate professor by the name of Ms. Lenore Tabor, I kid you not. Poe's lost love Lenore of The Raven she was not. She was a lovely woman, but gave off bad vibes.

I'd had an English instructor when I was in college the first time that was a radical feminist. It was understandable, she claimed she'd been raped by her dad as a child and that caused her to conclude all men were potential rapists. At least she was an honest grader, and competent, but I never felt comfortable in her presence.

Lenore made that instructor seem like a prostitute with a heart of gold, you know, an Irma La Duce or Holly Golightly type. She dressed business/shark and seldom smiled; Lenore oozed man-hater . Her classes were interesting though.

A few weeks into the semester she asked this question. "From your assigned reading, defend or dispute this statement. The US criminal justice system, though flawed usually functions to preserve liberty."

We got a litany of ‘abuse of power', ‘flawed but better than the alternatives' and the like. Some good points were made but they only nibbled at the core concept of Ms Tabor's statement.

I spoke up. "I find the system is saddled with a pervasive attitude that puts preserving itself ahead of serving the public interest. There are many dedicated people trying to do right, but they are frustrated, and often corrupted by the system. The local department is rife with corruption, up to and including bribery to protect a prostitution operation."

"Those are serious charges, …?"

"Joe."

"Yes, Ms Jo. What evidence do you have to back your suppositions?"

"I have a packet of evidence containing photos, documents and the like detaining this. Copies were given to the local Chief of police, but they were not well received."

"Where did you come by this, Ms. Jo?"

"Up until five weeks ago I was a member of the La Cross police force."

"You quit? You had to be their youngest woman officer and they don't have many."

"You are right, they don't and I was their youngest *male* officer"

That got a huge reaction from the lecture hall. Apparently many had assumed I was a woman. The reaction I got from Ms. Tabor was stranger. She spent a minute or two looking at her materials before she spoke. "Class, that covers everything for today. Read chapters fifteen and sixteen for our next class. Mr. Joe, could you please see me before you leave?"

* * * *
After the lecture hall cleared out, she motioned me to follow her.

"I find myself in an awkward position, Joe ..?"

"Friday, Joseph Aloysius Friday and yes, I was badge 714. They are real sophisticates on the force."

That got a rare smile from her, but it made me anxious rather than relaxed.

"Please explain why you asked me here, I don't understand. If is because you mistook me for a woman, lots of people do that. I'm not offended."

"That is part of it, but not in the way you think. After your comments today I looked at your quiz scores and participation marks from my TA and they show you to be an outstanding student. I like to pick and chose among younger students so I can have first pick of the bright young minds for my TAs. Today's class convinced me to keep an eye on you, thus my dilemma."

"I'm pleased you feel I'm doing well, but I'm pre-law not history."

"History and law are not mutually exclusive. You remember I explained my background the first day of class."

"How abuse during your childhood caused you to distrust men, if I remember correctly?"

"Yes. I think you could make a contribution as one of my teaching assistants, but I only take on women. Nothing personal, but that is the way I am. I do pass my outstanding male candidates on to other professors and I get their female candidates, so it is fair."

"No harm no foul, so why the dilemma?"

"I will be short of potential TA's in a couple years. It takes several years of mentoring to produce an outstanding one. I… I want you to consider accepting my mentoring, but under some strict rules."

"Even if I do stay in law I can see the value of a mentor outside of the department for perspective alone. What's the catch?"

"You will deal with my office assistant for any one-on-one meetings. I am not comfortable with, nor do I tolerate one-on-one meetings with men."

"At least you are up front about it, I respect that. How soon do you need a decision?"

"Next class?"

"Why don't I save us both the worry, I'll give you a tentative yes. If it doesn't work out, I can always leave or you can always tell me to take a hike. If I do stay, it will be for the long haul, I don't wish to waste your time and effort."

"Joe, keep in mind you are the first male I have offered to mentor in the twenty years since my doctorate. Don't make me regret it."

Now I felt like a heel, but I had to keep my cover if I was to stop these involuntary transformations. "I'll will do my best, Ms Tabor, I promise you that."

"Joe, I will inform my assistant to expect you at my office at four this afternoon. She will get the ball rolling."

She gave me the name of her office assistant and I left for my next class.

* * * *
"I'm Joe Friday, I'm here because Ms Tabor wants to mentor me to become a future teaching assistant."

"I'm her assistant, Ms. Esmeralda Prudence Addams. Please call me Ms Addams, or Mera,. My parents named me for a couple great aunts. Grand old ladies, but the names are so out of fashion."

"Not Emma, Emmi or Pru?"

"Those are so little girl sounding. Mera sounds a bit exotic, does it not? It's what I like."

"Okay, Mera it is, and please, call me Joe. Never call me Joe Friday, dum da dum dum, DA!"

She smiled, a bit on the feral side and laughed. "I can see how that might be annoying after a while."

I calmed down but something about her bothered me. Then this was an important meeting for my *student* carrier and possibly for the police investigation itself. ~~I guess I'm just being paranoid.~~

* * * *

I was told I would have backup, an expert in magic watching my tail and ready to leap in at the right moment. Presumably that would be thirty seconds after I was singing soprano and resembling a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. I was busy studying in the evening. I found a quiet desk in the huge main campus library that was good for when I needed serious concentration to study. I was gone from my table for a moment to use the bathroom, and when I returned there was a note stuck the legal notepad I was using. I never took my laptop computer where I could not lock it up so it was good old pen and paper tonight.

The note read, "Joe, check your e-mail for any messages from Bewitching02. Don't fail to do this. Our time together will be magical.

"An admirer."

This was exciting news. I'd been told to keep my eyes open to a message passed in any number of ways from my *shadow*. The wording of the brief note left little doubt it was my backup contacting me. I mean, what were the odds it was some gorgeous babe asking me out for sex? Be reasonable, people!

* * * *

I finished my research, returned the materials to the shelves, packed up and hurried to my dorm or I tried to.

"Joe!, Joe who does not want me to say his last name, wait up."

"Mera? What are you doing here?"

"I was studying too. I am working on my doctorate under Ms Tabor and this is the best time to do my research. She keeps me busy during office hours."

"That doesn't seem fair. How can you finish your degree if she monopolizes all your time."

"She is my graduate advisor and she has helped me several times when I was stuck, mostly little suggestions to help my find my way and the like."

"I didn't mean to imply she was being unreasonable I .. I don't know what I was saying."

"Well, it was sweet your rising to defend me from my slave driver task mistress." She smiled and I wilted in her warmth. To be honest, part of me was far from wilting. It was on the verge of becoming visible and embarrassing. It's a DNA hard-coded physiological reaction, folks, I'm not a pervert. And have any of you met her? I rest my case.

~~I would have to be wearing my tightest pair of jeans. I have got to do my laundry more often.~~ "I don't like people abusing authority, that's all."

"I heard how you resigned from the police. Ms. Tabor had me research it. For someone who was rising rapidly through the ranks to then throw it all away. and over a matter of principle says much about your character, and favorably so, Joe."

"Thanks, I guess." ~~They did a background check for a possible future TA position??~~

"Shy around women?

~~Does it show? Wait a minute, where did she find that out?~~ "Some, I never had much time with my studies and entering the force. And I thank you for your compliment but it's not warranted. I failed in eliminating the corruption."

"Don't you read the paper? Your packet of evidence got some attention from the State Attorney General's office. The shit is hitting the fan as we speak."

~~The copy I sent off did the trick as expected. The chief did order me to do so in the DVD's. Now the force will act like I squealed on them. That's good for my credibility, bad for my physical well being.~~

"I am not a confirmed man hater like Ms. Tabor. I find a man can be most useful." When she licked her lips, I began to sweat. That *other* problem was becoming, uncomfortable.

"I think you're most attractive but I don't want to poison our working relationship with hurt feelings from an unwanted romantic advance."

"You haven't dated much have you? I am only suggesting we go out for a drink or two tonight. I could call my roomie and we can go as a group, just for laughs and relaxation, no pressure." She smiled again and it took every bit of discipline I had not to drag her off to the bushes and *do* her.

"Where and when? I need to put my books away."

"Twenty minutes at the Student Memorial Union beer hall?"

"Done."

* * * *

I rushed to a rental locker area in the Union and secured my books. My apartment was too far to make it there and back in twenty. I noticed the longer I was away from her the more my urge to see her eased. That's not usual, is it? I only met her a few hours before, so it wasn't like I had memorized her cute ears, framing her innocent face with its puffy kissable lips, button nose and those hypnotic green eyes. Did I say was she was a redhead?

~~Huh? I may be anxious about going out with a woman for the first time in whatever but I haven't even kissed her and I'm obsessing? That is weird.~~

* * * *

I met her at the Memorial Union. I planned on ordering a beer but she pointed out how much more reasonable it was to share a pitcher.

"It's only the equivalent of two beers a piece, Joe. Plus, I am the one at risk here, after all I am the frail damsel the dastardly brute tries to get drunk."

"When you put it that way … Okay but in moderation, I do have class tomorrow, though."

* * * *

We finished the pitcher and had a nice chat. Mera was interesting to listen to, bright and vivacious, an ideal casual date. I was still aroused by her but it was controllable. Just being in her presence was addictive, and evening was going well. I was enjoying myself and hoped I was not boring Mera to death.

All was well until Crystal, Mera's roommate, showed up with Elise. It was obvious Crystal and Elise were *close* friends. I mean, they were arm in arm and their lipstick was smudged. I have nothing against alternative life styles, but the situation became uncomfortable for all of us.

"Mera, I hope you don't mind I brought Elise, after all you brought a *man.*"

"No, she is your steady after all, Crystal." Mera's tone hinted that she had reservations about Elise.

~~Steady? They act like they just got engaged. Euw! Elise just slipped her hand into Crystals slacks and … Oh My! That's TOO friendly, at least for in public.~~

Crystal and Elise were Goth or Goth-ish in appearance. They had the dark cosmetics, the unearthly pale face and the dark, overly lacy clothing. They were not bad looking girls, Elise had real potential if she dressed normally but it was their choice, and I'd seen a lot more extreme Goth getups. At least they weren't overboard with the piercings. To be honest, the corset Elise was wearing as a vest/blouse was hot. I guess I have a little of the kinky in me, huh?

"So this is the MAN whom Ms Tabor took on as her next *project.* He's older than I imagined. I thought he was a freshman. What are you, twenty?" Crystal had said *man* with a hint of discomfort, almost distain. Elise's tone was harsh, like she either didn't trust me, or hated me on sight. It seemed to me she was only going thought the motions of acting polite.

"I don't mind telling, I'm twenty-four. I spent some time in the Army and … elsewhere, then decided to return to school."

"Then it's true you were a cop. Fess up, you're undercover to catch students sneaking a beer under age or doing drugs so you can score an easy bust. I get it, you're here to hassle the LGBT community." She sneered at me, daring me to act up. It was nothing blatant, or was it?

"Hardly … Elise is it? I make no attempt to hide my past. I could give you the long drawn-out story but the ‘What makes Joe tick for Idiots' version should suffice. Let's say I was disillusioned with the force and some of its members." I said this with some emphasis, as it fit my cover, and I was put off by her patronizing, holier than thou attitude. I made clear in my tone it was the police I was pissed at and not her, other than her abrasive attitude towards me.

After that she relaxed. When she realized I wouldn't go ballistic or rollover in response to her provocations, she treated me more like an equal. All three girls were reasonably attractive and intelligent. I felt lucky to be in their company. The others in the bar noticed. Guys saw us and some gave me a thumbs up. A number of the young women were giving me more than a casual glance.

I noticed one exceptionally tall and attractive woman watching me from a far table. She was with several cheerleader types and several jocks but I noticed her looking my way every so often. What was it my dad used to say, ‘An employer is more likely to hire you if you are currently employed elsewhere. They assume if you are working someplace else, you must have something on the ball.' It also applies to human relationships. All I know is the conversation got friendlier and we ordered a few more pitchers of beer.

"Joe, now that we know you better, Crystal and I want to make it up to you for being rude."

"Yeah, we were rude. Just because we prefer women is no excuse. Not all men are pricks, though they all have one or they wouldn't be men, would they?" We all laughed at that

"There is this great nightspot we know. We don't mind dancing with guys, just sleeping with them. It will be fun."

"We won't be out too late will we? I have class at eight o'clock tomorrow and I live twenty minutes from campus. I'm currently on foot to save money."

"We won't be out that late, and if we are, I'll put you up for the night and make sure you get up in time. I have an apartment across the street from the Physics building."

"That's only a block from here. Thanks. I agree."

We got up to leave; I was feeling a slight buzz, but was okay.

As we left the bar, Mera turned in a different direction than the rest of us.

"Aren't you coming?" I asked.

"I have a long day tomorrow. Crystal and Elise will take good care of you, Joe. Enjoy. I'll see you again soon."

* * * *

We walked to a quirky super bar, one where you can both buy bottled beer and liquor, or buy drinks as in a regular bar.

"I thought we were going dancing?"

"I remembered tonight's band scene is dismal. We can go out on Saturday night, there are several great bands playing. I think a quiet evening getting to know you better is in order. First, one for the road.

"Bartender, over here, please!" A woman in her upper twenties walked to our end of the counter. "I I'll have one of your specials for our male guest, a Bloody Mary for Crystal and a Margarita for me."

"Right up, Elise."

Minutes later the bartender returned with our drinks, a tall slender glass with a slice of lime on the rim for me, a Bloody Mary for Crystal and a classic Margarita for Elise.

"Your next conquest, Elise?"

"He's Mera's friend."

"She'll be angry." The bartender half-whispered that reply.

"We're just being nice to him. I would never hurt Mera."

I drank my drink. It was sweet, bitter and strong all at once but it was tasty and I felt okay.

"That was interesting, Elise. Thanks. So what's next?"

"Follow me."

* * * *

We met Crystal at the door and walked for a few bocks to Elise's apartment. I felt warm and a little out of it, but nothing too weird. I did notice Crystal had been carrying a bag from the super bar. Once in the apartment she took out several bottles of liquor and got ice and cold mixers from the fridge. Crystal had been here before, it was obvious. She made some drinks while Elise asked me all sorts of questions.

"What's with the inqui, inqui , questions?" ~~Why is my speech slurred, I'm not drunk. I'd know it if I was,~~

"Just getting to know you, here have a drink. I must have given a look of concern. "Here, I'll drink half of yours and you try half of mine. It's not drugged."

We shared our drinks and I was feeling on the edge of being nicely drunk versus plastered. My vision was a little blurry and the colors seemed off; everything looked too blue. The room was stiflingly warm and I think I had this embarrassing bulge in my …. I don't remember much other than waking up with a head ache, and odd taste in my mouth. I realized I was not in my apartment and was shocked to see I was naked and lying on a couch.

"I can see you are *up*, Joe."

"Crap, I mean sorry." I scrambled to wrap myself in the blanket lying on the floor next to the couch. It was better, but did not completely hide my erection.

"I've seen one before; I had brothers."

"I am so embarrassed, getting drunk and imposing on you." I was embarrassed. I'd had *morning wood* before, it's a common physiological thing but never this rigid. I was so erect my penis was aching. I dismissed it as an affect of the drinking binge and being inspired by all that female company, odd as they were, they were female in all the right places.

"That's okay, we did kind of push a lot of drinks at you and don't worry, you were a perfect gentleman.'

"That's a relief."

"Hey, Joe, you were a stallion last night. I see you are ready again, you want to have another go? I may prefer women but I'm not adverse to a real man now and again."

"What, I don't remember …?"

The gals broke into a wild laughter, almost a bit too much under the circumstances.

"No, Joe, you made no move on either of us, and as wasted as we all were it was a possibility. If you are wondering about the clothes, we figured you might not be able to get home before class. This way your clothes are aired out, at least. Like I said, I had brothers, so I know how boy often wake up *that* way."

"Thanks, Ladies, that was sweet of you. Can I shower or something?"

"Sure, help yourself."

I showered quick and dressed. I ran the water a little on the cool side. That plus a quick trip to the toilet relieved my problem. I was my goodbyes and hustled off to class, recovering my books from the rental locker on the way. I was glad nothing had happed but there was this nagging voce in my head. Later in the day a thought came to me but it didn't know what to make of it.. ~~I got drunk way too easily, particularly at the end. What gives?~~ There was also something odd I had seen in Elise's bathroom, maybe more than one thing, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was..

* * * *

I got home late that afternoon and checked my e-mail. There were several from Jesus. He wanted to know what I was doing for the weekend, as he had a part lined up, and also if I wanted to study with him. Some of the stuff he wrote was hilarious.

"Dude, I know you are a guy, but I keep hoping you'll turn into a girl. It's not that you're all girly-like, but I bet you'd be a real looker. In the meantime, you don't have a sister do you? E-mail or text me with your reply with regard to the party, any joint studying or your having a hot sister. If you suddenly turn into a girl, stop by my room. Wear a teddie, okay? I call first dibs."

Jesus is a nut but I like him. If I was a girl, I think I'd find him attractive, but I only see him as a friend and possible wingman for cruisn' for babes. I have been spending too much time around him.

* * * *

The next few weeks were a blur of classes, studying, extra studying under Mera's tutelage and even a meeting with Ms Tabor, with Mera present.

"Mera has informed me of your progress and I am impressed. You are taking my offer seriously, and I do appreciate that."

"Mera is a patient teacher and has treated me in a friendly yet professional manner. Sometimes I have to try hard not to read too much into what we do together. I do have a potent and overly romantic imagination, and I am doing my damnedest not to spoil our working relationship."

"You're attracted to me?"

"You have a lot to commend you beyond your appearance, Mera. I'd have to be dead not to notice, but I promise that is as far as I will let it go. We are together for professional reasons, and I will adhere to that. I value your friendship and I will not abuse it. I felt I should be straightforward with you and Ms Tabor on this matter."

"That is always a risk when people work together. So long as you recognize it and control your urges, I am satisfied."

"What about me, don't I have a say in this, Ms Tabor?" Mera asked forcefully. "I am an adult, and I say who and when I can be interested in some one. I need to go and calm down, Excuse me." She got up and walked off briskly.

"Did what I think just happened, happen? Is Mera interested in me? I did mean to attract her though I'd be dishonest if I didn't say I was interested. I never intended for this to happen. Perhaps I should get a different mentor?"

"You and Mera will have to work it out. This is why I don't like mixing the sexes, it leads to trouble, but at least you both share the blame. Mera is an adult. If she chooses to be interested in men, that's her choice. Meeting dismissed."

I ran after Mera, but couldn't find her. I decided her friends might know. I left a note for her roommate to call me, that there had been an incident in our meeting with Ms Tabor and that Mera had run out upset. I also wrote she'd all but admitted she had an interest in me physically.

Several hours later Crystal called. "What did you do to Mera? She's very upset!"

"I admitted to Mera and Ms Tabor I was attracted to Mera physically and mentally, but that I would not press the issue, as ours was a professional relationship and I valued her friendship. Ms Tabor made a comment about the risk of romantic entanglements when people work closely together. Mera got upset when she felt we were talking around her, and not with her and she left.

"I want to remain her friend, and I must admit I would love to pursue a closer relationship if she is so inclined. At a minimum I want to apologize for hurting her."

"You should know, Joe, Mera was hurt bad in high school. She only has told us, Elise and I, part of it, but she was outed by a lover."

"Huh?"

"She had a relationship with another girl. Mera is shy when it comes to her sexuality, and this girl meant a lot to her. They were friends first, and soon lovers, Mera's first. I'm not sure about the other girl. The problem was Mera was also close friends with a neighbor boy. She went out on a date with him, to a school dance, as she felt it was safe and she had some attraction to him. As I said she's sexually shy and was struggling to find her way, her sexual preferences. There was alcohol at the party and … they did it, in an empty classroom. She lost her virginity. It was mutual, aided by the alcohol, but she said she enjoyed it as much as she'd enjoyed sex with her girlfriend.

"The girlfriend found out and outed Mera's lesbianism to the school. Her remaining time in school was a nightmare, as her long time friend broke up with her when his parents leaned she was lesbian and no one, male or female would date her or even be friends. The lesbians were the worst, as she'd *cheated* on one of them. They treated her like a cheap whore. She almost got raped as a result of the atmosphere of hate in the school.

"College was far way from home and she slowly blossomed again."

"So it was almost like a post traumatic flashback, the anger triggered by the revelations in our meeting?"

"Could be."

"What do I do?"

"If you care for her, confront her and show her nothing has changed, that you still value her friendship and are pleased she has interest in you."

"I'll do that, Crystal, thanks."

"I may prefer women but I prefer love over sadness."

* * * *

I bough a tasteful bunch of flowers and went to her cubical in Ms Tabors office.

"How may I help ? Oh . it's you." She didn't sound happy.

"I am sorry your feelings got hurt and I am pleased beyond measure you have some interest in me. I am not comfortable around attractive women in a social, I mean a dating situation and I … These are for you, Mera. Please forgive me."

She looked at me and cried. I turned to leave and I heard her get up. She grabbed my hand, spun me around and kissed me. She kissed me like I had never been kissed, I was dazzled.

"So what's the verdict? Friends or …?"

"Or."

"Oh my!"

* * * *

The remainder of October was pure bliss. I'd go to class study, meet Mera for tutoring then we'd make out. We made out anywhere and everywhere. Mera was a tigress unleashed, and I wasn't half bad myself. Ms Tabor was happy to have her efficient office assistant back, though she was not keen on our rampantly sexual relationship. Still, it was consensual, so she looked the other way.

I got and sent occasional e-mails from Bewitching02 and was careful to erase them after reading them. I never saved them. Even in our cryptic code they might have given me away. The messages let me know when Bewitching02 would not be available, and let Bewitching 02 know when I was going out, with whom and to where. One message pleased me no end. "Saw you two, great couple, Congrads."

As I look back on it, it was the night she invited me to sleep over, as Crystal was spending the night with Elise that caused all the trouble, and got us the break in our undercover investigation, lucky me. We had spent a quiet night drinking wine, I was legal and she was close to it, and it was a college. If I'd refused, it could have broken my cover. We'd had a wild night of it and ended up asleep and naked in her bed. Crystal chose that night to bring Elise back for a possible three-way, as Mera had done it a few times with them I later learned.

"Mera, Elise is all hot and bothered; you want to help me relieve her suffering … God you're with a man! Didn't we say not to bring men back here?"

Mera woke and stared at Crystal." So what's wrong with it? You said you were off to Elise's for sex, and we only did it in my bed. As I recall, we only agreed to check with the other first. You knew I was seeing Joe, and you said you were spending the night with Elise so what's the problem?"

* * * *

The gals gave us some time to dress, and after a long and sometimes heated argument Crystal calmed down and made a suggestion.

"I feel silly now, as I practically threw Joe into your arms after you got upset when you learned Joe was attracted to you. You'll always be welcome in my bed, but I spend so much time with Elise, Elise agreed I can move in with her. Joe can move in with you."

"You would do that for me, us? Oh Crystal!" Hugs were exchanged all around, and the happy lesbian couple announced they would have a welcoming party for the four of us a couple days after she got moved in and situated with Elise

* * * *

"Mera, Joe, thanks for coming. As a thank you for indirectly getting us together, I want to do something special for you, Joe. While Crystal here gives Mera a massage, she is training to be a physiotherapist after all; I want to give you a styling."

"A hair styling?"

"Yeah, I'm training as a cosmetologist in addition to getting a business degree. That way I have a fallback position or I can open my own salon and be better prepared to make a success of it with my business knowledge."

"Okay, but only a trim, I like it long, and so does Mera."

"Long it is and I'll do your nails too, they are in terrible shape.

We had a great time and I left well after midnight.

* * * *

We were walking across campus the day before Halloween when a familiar voice called out.

"Hey, Joe, whad'ya know!"

"Jesus, what gives?"

"I heard about you and Mera. Good going, guy, you scored some major ass."

"Ah-hum!"

"Mera, meet Jesus, we met during in person registration. Jesus, meet the major ass." I gave him a look, and Mera a hug

"I'm sorry, ma'am. I have a big mouth sometimes. Joe is so lucky to be dating a fine looking lady like you and smart too, I hear. Joe told me he was working with a real brainy woman in Ms Tabor's office. He said you were attractive, but he held back on me." He smiled and Mera relaxed.

."Joe and Mera, I want to invite you to tag along. A bunch of guys and gals from my English class are going pup crawling on Halloween, safety in numbers and all that. Want to come?"

"I'd say okay as long as my former roomie is invited and her SO."

"Consider it done."

"Mera, that's why I love you, you're so considerate."

* * * *

Crystal and Elise showed up in full Goth, which fit the festivities nicely. Mera was dressed as a forties femme fatal, while I dressed as a James Dean type, jeans, t-shirt with a cigarette pack, -- faked, I don't smoke -- rolled up in a sleeve. I carried a flannel workshirt to use as a light coat when the evening cooled down. It all started out pretty nice.

We had visited our first dance bar when Mera's cell went off. It was Ms Tabor. "Joe, I'm so sorry. Someone broke into Ms Tabor's office and trashed the place. She has a big meeting tomorrow, and she needs my help to recover her materials."

"She's been good to us, so go. Is it safe? I'd better come. Maybe I can help."

"Joe says he'll help … I understand …

"Joe, Campus security has an officer there, and is sending another to escort me over. Maintenance is fixing her door. She says it will be too crowded, and suggests you enjoy yourself tonight. And I do, too. Have a good time and we'll get together another night."

"I love you, Mera."

"I love you too, Joe."

We kissed until her escort arrived and she left.

* * * *

At the next bar we met up with some friends of Elise, a Goth wannabe and a couple real quiet guys who hung near her like an entourage. She spoke with Elise a while in private, then turned her attention to me.

"Elise tells me your girlfriend had to leave for the night. You offered to help her, but she said you should enjoy yourself. That's so sweet. I'll be your date tonight. I'll show you a great time and I won't make a move on you. I guarantee tonight will be memorable and then some." She sounded sincere enough. I still thought her costume was odd, more witch than Goth now that I'd seen it up close.

"I'm being exclusive to my Mera."

"My friend is trustworthy, Joe. She'll show to the time of your life and I guarantee she only wants what is best for you and Mera."

I agreed and went kept on partying.

* * * *

After our fifth tavern -- at just one drink per -- I was looped and I knew it. I had to drink, there was little opportunity to fake it. That would have given me away. I nursed my drinks but only so much for fear of blowing my cover. At a whopping 155 pounds the alcohol hit me hard. My fellow pub crawlers would insist on our sticking to zombies or boiler makers, ewh! I was having a hard time keeping them down and keeping myself upright.

I knew I was safe, I had my electronic tracer on me, in the form of my belt buckle. I also had a magical tracer, the World War II dog tags I wore, insisting they belonged to my favorite late grandfather. I'd even instant messaged my contact, the mysterious woman I had yet to meet. She was to watch my back and had sent the proper innocent seeming confirmation message. We could not be sure I was being watched or not, so all or messages were in a kind-of code. By necessity they were simple. Anything about going to the store or going shopping meant I was going out. The first number mentioned after shopping was the time I would leave my dorm. Clever, yeah?

Through my foggy brain I noticed we'd split up from Jesus and his gang -- from Crystal and Elise for that matter. Most of the gang seemed to have gone off somewhere, but I didn't know precisely where or when. The strange student friend of Elise and her group had taken a shine to me, they were real friendly, and we went to this tiny, eclectic bar. At least I thought they were students; I was more than a few sheets to the wind by then. I asked why we weren't following the main group.

"Oh, the place they are going is okay if you like big, commercial and tacky, but the place we have in mind will leave you with memories you'll never forget," the Goth wannabe said.

She was right, it was memorable. The place was practically a British *snug bar* as there was only the bar, a half dozen stools or so and a couple small tables.

"Guys, I … I think thish is it for … I'm pretty intox .. intox … smashed," I slurred.

"This last drink has hardly any alcohol at all. The bitters in it will counter-act any hangover. Drink it down, all of it and then it's sparkling water for you the rest of the night. That way you won't get dehydrated. You'll be feel like a new person in the morning, I guarantee it." I so wanted to believe her, I didn't know why though.. A small voice in the back of my head was screaming that something didn't make sense, but I didn't listen. ~~ Hmm, was it the girl who said it or one of the two guys? … She'd be lots more attractive if she didn't dress like a Goth wanna-be. I mean Crystal and Elise can pull off the look, but this one is over the top. Ooh, what a fascinating pendant she has between her breasts, it almost glows.~~

I think we left that bar around one-ish in the morning. The pick-me-up/hangover cure or whatever they called it was working I felt less drunk and surprisingly full of energy for so late at night. It was like I was a dam and water was building up higher and higher behind me, threatening to spill over the top, but something was holding it back. I felt happy and eager to please my new friends.

"Let's go for a walk. The night air will do us good. It's safe, we're in a group," one of the guys said. It was cool out now, so I slipped on my flannel workshirt.

He struck me as an odd sort. It was like he didn't have much of a *presence*, like he was a puppet. He'd not talked much at all earlier. The Goth wanna—be girl had done most of the talking. ~~Come to think of it, neither guy has said much. Oooh I feel odd. What a pretty night out. The sky is all twinkelly.~~

"Okey-dokey."

We got near to the river when I felt a sharp pain in my leg.

‘Ouwie!. What was tha …" I never finished the *t*.

My vision blurred but I swear I saw a syringe sticking in my leg and the Goth gal pushing the plunger. I felt myself being dragged along, then lifted as my legs gave way completely.

I heard the Goth wanna-be say, "You were good, Sergeant Friday but not good enough. We found out an undercover cop was trying to smoke us out. Our source wasn't sure who, but it must be you. Your quitting the police was too convenient, be reasonable. I've something extra special for you. Wish I could hang around and see how you turn out, but places to be, things to do, or is that people to do? Good bye, and good luck, you'll …"

I lost consciousness and didn't hear anymore. I dreamt I was falling from the sky. I lost all consciousness again, then I felt I was floating in a pool or lake. It was restful and … I inhaled water and coughed violently. My face went under and I couldn't breath. I was panicking. I tried to kick my legs, but they were numb and I could only feel the one move a little.

I lost my shoes, which was good, as my pants loosened somehow and tangled my legs. I managed to kick free of them with my good leg, though I swallowed some water in the process. My arms felt okay and I swam with all my strength. My face broke the surface and I could breathe. The twin shocks of the attack and my being in the river must have triggered a surge of adrenaline. I felt increasing alert, but odd. My vision was blurry, it was dark out and I was disoriented but I realized I was in a lake — being in all that water was a big clue -- or …~~I'm in the Mississippi River!?~~ I promptly threw up; I threw up a lot. It was hard to stay afloat, but the vomiting made me feel better.

I turned and looked for lights. I found what appeared to be the nearest shore and shouted as hard as I could. "Help, help! I'm in the river, HELP!?"

I shouted far louder than I might have expected. Part was fright and panic. Adrenaline will do wonders for that. I've concluded since, that it was due to my shock and my added confusion at the voice that came out. Ever hear a really great singer perform ‘The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow', the inspirational and annoying hit song from the musical Annie? The song every pre-pubescent girl in America was singing a few decades back, and still are, the little sadists?

~~What was the really good Annie's name, Andrea McArdle? It sounded like that, with a piece of Mariah Carrie thrown in for good measure. This girl might be a great star someday...if she wasn't drowning?!~~~ "Drowning? … HELP! For God sake HELP!!" My mind was going in and out — that's the only description that fits -- and it wasn't due to the alcohol I'd drank.

I swam with every bit of strength I had. I was collected enough to swim across the current rather that against it, but I was getting weaker by the minute and the leg she'd injected remained numb. I was being swept away from the bright lights of the city and would soon be beyond the old steamboat docks, my last good opportunity to get help. I kept shouting for help. "Help, p-please help me!" I began to cry and what little vision I had was degraded by my tears.

I was having problems with my shirt and T-shirt. ~~It's like I'm swimming in a nightgown that is too big for … me?~~. I caught my hand in a oversized sleeve. My strokes lost their coordination and I began it sink again. I slipped out of the freakishly large shirt with great difficulty. I struggled back to the surface, but my strength was ebbing.

I have memories of that night that come—and-go like will-o-wisps, but the last I can recall, I heard shouting, lights sweeping the waters and a distant loud splash. I was nearly gone when an arm snagged me and clamped around my waif-ish body. It squished one of my boobies, painfully. I distinctly remember that's what I thought at the moment. I don't remember much after that. I do remember wondering why my boobies were so tender and … Guys don't have …~~

* * * *

A lovely older woman was looking at me when I opened my eyes. She smiled at me and I naturally smiled back. My boobies were a little sore but not too bad. I was proud I was the first girl in my class to grow boobies. That would show that mean Kathy in Mrs. Smiths sixth grade class. I was in fourth grade and my boobies were as big as hers. I needed to go to the potty, though.

"You're so pretty, lady. I like your hair. You have blue eyes like my mom." I said this, as it seemed the right thing to say, but it didn't seem right, at least to part of me. I figured she was like my mom because she looked real old like her, maybe almost 35, even. I liked my mom, so I would say nice things to this lady, too.

"What a charming young lady. You're pretty, too. I don't think I've ever met as pretty a girl as you. Do you know where you are?"

I looked around. I was eager to answer. I wanted to show her how clever I was. It seemed really, really important. "Um, I must be in a hospital. Was I sick? Where's mommy, I mean my mom?" See, I'm really, really smart,

"I'll find out. Be a good girl for me." The pretty older lady left the room. A few minutes later — I knew ‘cause I read the clock on the wall. See I told you I am smart — another really pretty lady came in. I mean, this lady was like a princess or a movie star she was so really pretty. I am sorry, I should not use really so much, my mom told me. This new lady was not so old. She looked like those ladies in the fashion magazines, or even that naughty Cosmopolitan Magazine. I remembered my brother — I think it was my brother — had these magazines with very pretty girls, and some were naked. She looked like she could be one of those ladies. He said it was Playboy, and I shouldn't touch them or I'd get in trouble. At least, I think he said that, I'm confused.

"Lady, can I go to the bathroom? I have to go real bad."

"Um, sure, I guess. Let me help you."

The nice lady helped me out of the high hospital bed and into the bathroom.My she's so tall, and has great big boobies. I hope I grow up to be like her.~~ "Do you need help going to the bathroom?"

"I'm a big girl, I'm almost ten. I've gone to the bathroom myself for like forever. I'll be okay."

I closed the bathroom door, pulled up my hospital gown and sat down. I started to pee and …

"Aaaaaeeeee! I'm a girl!

"It took you that long did it, Sergeant Joe? Sorry, I guess Sergeant Josephine make more sense now."

"As soon as I'm done tinkling I'll show you who's a girl … I'm a little g_g_g_girl!" I sobbed. "Calm down, it's okay for little girls to cry … But I'm a man and police officer and I have boobies? But they are such cute boobies and the boys like to look at me now and …What the he .. he .. he .. fu… fu …I can't swear! What's wrong? Can you help me? I want my MOMMY!" Like I said earlier my mind was going in and out. It seems obvious to me what I mean .

The tall young lady with the big boobies came to me and hugged me ‘til I felt better. She hugged really … sorry, she hugged very nice. It felt very nice, like mom was holding me. A tiny and getting tinier part of me wanted to do something naughty with her that older boys and girls like to do. Another small but growing part of me wanted to lick the big lady in some very naughty places and have her ,,, ~~Those last two ideas are both so gross, yuck!~~

"Where's my mommy?"

"It's an effect of the magic, Joe. You can fight it if you try hard. It's forcing you to think you are a little girl … Stand up for me so I can have a look at you."

I stood up with her help. I knew she was there to help me, so I did what she said.

"Okay, physically you are a girl, or may be a bit older -- more of an adolescent -- what with the ‘sore boobies' you kept talking about in your sleep. I'd say physically, you are eleven or twelve, but the people who transformed you tried to make you think you were much younger. Give it time and it will pass, this thinking like a little girl. But there is no denying you are a girl on the cusp of womanhood, the budding breasts prove that. If it's any consolation, I think you'll be a rare beauty, and I should know, I used to be a guy too."

"Y-you were a guy, really?"

"Yes I was. In my case I was change accidentally when some good magic went wrong. Someone deliberately tried to kill you. You almost drowned before I could get to you with the help of some local boaters."

"You saved me?"

"I'm sorry I wasn't there sooner but it all happened so fast at the end. I apologize, I'm John, J-o-h-n and I know it's a silly name for a woman. I kept my old name after I was transmuted, and now it's my professional name so I'm stuck with it."

"I, remember ... I remember. The name sounds familiar."

"I do ads and TV shows, sometimes with my identical twin sister Laura. Does that help any?"

"You are an actress and model. You did ads for Miller and Harley, I remember. Damn I remember I was, I am a cop and a man, I have this great girlfriend -- and I'm undercover looking for these people who change people's sex and … I guess I found them. I'm the proof."

"I'm glad to you are taking this so well."

"Does Mera know? She's my girlfriend, or was until I get changed back." I asked and cried.

"She knows you're in the hospital, but she doesn't know about this. Let's get you tested, first. This maybe reversible, but we won't know without testing and …. "

"We'll need the jerks who did this, and/or what they used. I was warned about this. So I'm a girl for a few months? No sweat. I hope Mera takes it well." * * * *

Doctors came and went, John — Jesses that name still throws me. I used to mas…, um. I mean her photos … Never mind, let's say I think she's hot and leave it at that. What I was saying is John stood guard over me, not letting anyone near without checking their credentials. This was in addition to the Sheriff's deputy outside of my room.

"Joe, they threw you in the river, intoxicated, half paralyzed and in mid- transmutation; they meant for you to drown and an unidentifiable girls corpse to be found if we were lucky. They couldn't bring themselves to kill you directly so they threw in the extreme age reduction and mental age reduction in case you survived. They were too cowardly to kill you outright, but were not too squeamish to kill your identity. I'm sure they know by now you are not dead; they may try to finish the job."

"I know you are supposed to be this magic prodigy and I can't thank you enough for saving my life, but you don't look the bodyguard type."

"That's the point; I don't look like a bodyguard. In that moment of confusion lies our advantage. May I demonstrate?" She acted like she was panic stricken and whipped out a small but lethal looking automatic from out of no where.

"Are you convinced now, Joe? I had to learn this sleight of hand quick draw on top of the self-protection magic I'd been taught after an attempt was made on my life. Magic is powerful, but so is a 357 hollow point with a magnum load."

"Where did you hide that?"

"Hon, with my figure I could hide an arsenal on my body."

"So you're *booby-trapped?"

"I have a killer figure in more than one way." John giggled and it made me smile

"I'd say."

"Don't worry, in a few years I suspect you'll be similarly *equipped*"

"I've always liked women with a sexy body; I never expected I'd be looking out from the inside of one."

"It's not so bad after a while. I rather like being a woman, Joe. Anyways, after what you've sacrificed to help catch these magic abusers, making sure you're happy in this new life is the least I can do."

I'd seen her work as a model and actress. I'd thought she was a lovely woman but what she was doing for me impressed me more. I wondered what Mera was going to think?

* * * *

The doctors continued to test and examine me. The magical experts were strange. They made my medical tests seem simple by comparison. There were a couple of people who drew symbols on my skin with smelly dyes, then scanned me somehow to see how I reacted. I remember one person bringing all sorts of crystals near me, touching me with some and ah-ha, hummm and oh-ing depending whether they glowed, vibrated or whatever they were supposed to do. At one point he touched me with what looked like a simple quartz crystal. It began to flash pink, faster and faster. Soon I heard a high pitched tone coming from it that grew louder and louder and then it crumbled to dust. The mage, sorcerer, or whatever, stood there with his mouth wide open.

"I take it that wasn't supposed to happen?"

"No." He said in a deadpan voice Jack Webb would have been hard pressed to equal.

Another person placed various objects in my hand and asked me to concentrate on them.

"What am I supposed to concentrate on?"

"Anything, thing of the object and imagine changing its color, that sort of thing."

"You mean like this?" She'd given me a small pewter figurine, a cat, I think. I concentrated on it, thinking of Mera and what I'd lost. I opened my hand. The pewter cat was replaced by a slightly smaller gold figurine that looked exactly like Mera, posed like she was crying.

"T-that's good … that's very good, Joe. I … I'll get back to you."

* * * *

A few days of this and I was going stir-crazy. I finally had had enough and asked my doctors to come in and give me the lowdown. "Okay, now that you've poked, prodded, waved the proverbial dead chickens over me and damned near drained me of blood, what is the verdict, docs?"

"Do you want the medical one or the magical one first?" one of them asked. I had so many doctors I had a hard time remembering their names.

"I'm just like sooo happy being a little girl. I love Barbie dolls and can't wait until I have sex," I said in as vacuous a tone as I could, which was easy with my preteen voice. "How about the medical one first? I can't wait to grow up, menstruate and get pregnant …I hope you realize I'm being facetious …"

I tried to sound angry at the end, but somehow it came out petulant and almost sexy. I know, I‘ve played back the recording I made of the *conference*. John had brought me a mini digital recorder to take notes whenever I thought of something, anything. This was to help with the investigation and with my adaptation to my *situation*.

"Joe, it'd a good news/bad news deal, I'm afraid," one of my medical doctors replied. "All of the magic experts tell me the same thing, your spell is a right nasty one. Whoever did this to you intended this to be permanent. Before you start screaming at the heavens, you have lucked out. They couldn't have known you had latent magic talents in your family, or they never would have used this method."

"I'm trying to remain calm, what does this all mean, keeping in mind I reserve the right to kill someone over this."

"They intended for you to become far younger than you did. The little girl mind that bothered you at first, was the magic trying to force your body and mind younger. Think of the spell like a multistage rocket, each portion of the spell setting up the necessary conditions for the next part of it. The booster stage flew straight and true and that's why you are a girl entering puberty." The doctor finished.

John spoke. "I talked with the magic practitioners that examined you, Joe. Where your *opponents* screwed up was in not testing you for magic potential. In changing you into a girl, they triggered your potential and that protected you."

"Then why am I a girl?"

"The magic first reduced you in age and size then changed you a girl. Your magic potential could only be realized if you were a female. This saved your life, or your mind to be precise. The second *stage* of the transformation was to force your body and mind younger and younger. Magic is never precise; there is always a fudge factor that must be considered. The unknown can have a great effect upon a spell's eventual outcome."

"And all this means?"

"The bulk of the magic intended to make you physically and mentally a little girl was diverted in to fueling your emergent powers. This means you are a witch, if you wish to be trained. This also makes it harder to change you back without your tormentors assistance, if it is even possible at all, I'm sorry."

"Can't I just change myself if I'm a witch, as you say?"

"Think of it like a doctor trying to perform surgery on themselves. Oh, you could, with training, place a transformation spell into an object and using a trigger phrase release the spell. The difficulty is, your body would fight it as it did the later portions of the spell they used on you."

"Could my magic be drained away? Could I then be changed into a normal female and subsequently back into my old body and male?"

"It's your magic abilities confounding us again. If we try to change one aspect of you, your new *default form* -- a young witch — would respond to counter our efforts. We need find the people that did this to you and find out what they used to do it to have any hope of getting around your abilities If every aspect of your change was *treated* simultaneously, in theory it might be able to restore you, but it's unlikely. Releasing that much magic at once is difficult and could just as readily be destructive. Instead of restoring you, it might kill you.."

"I'm stuck as a little kid?"

"No, Joe. We all agree, the test show you will grow at a normal rate into an adult woman and can have children if that's any consolation," one of the magic experts offered. "Given your physical development, we anticipate you will begin menstruating within a year or so. Congratulations?"

"That's just peachy."

* * * *

I had recovered, so to speak, so they discharged me from the hospital but something bothered me.

"John, why didn't Mera come and visit me?"

"I … I don't know. She sounded concerned for you when she was told. I asked her to give you a day or two and try again, but I've not heard anything since."

"Does she know what happened and that's why she …?"

"I don't know. It's possible she heard, but I told no one and you have had no visitors."

"Thanks for the clothes and thanks for not saddling me with all that girly stuff. I could see my self walking out of here in a plaid Catholic school girl's skirt, Barbie Doll pink tennis shoes and a Hello Kitty crop top with sequins."

"That would be so hot on you, Joe, but they were all out, so you're stuck with jeans, panties, a polo shirt and white running shoes. I'd have bought you a bra, but you don't strictly need one yet. Besides, that's kind of personal." When John snickered, I laughed back.

"This getup looks okay to me, but if I'm to keep going to school I think I'll need a padded bra and some makeup. I look like jail-bait."

"Joe, even in stiletto boots, fishnets and a leather S&M get up complete with bull-whip you'd be jail-bait."

"Your confidence underwhelms me, but thanks, John. Let's go kick some magical butt, after we shop for the … Can we go to Victoria's Secrets?" I said with a giggle. I was happy, I'd managed a joke after all that had happened to me and school girls giggle, okay? I have an excuse.

* * * *
She took me to the county courthouse where we got my ID changed. This did not start out well at all.

"Y … you were a man? That's rich." The county records clerk did not seem impressed by me and my five foot nothing, ninety pounds of terrifying blue-eyed blonde cutie. I tried to hand her my papers from the hospital, but she was laughing too hard to notice.

"Hey everybody, this school girl claims she was a man!"

After they all stopped laughing and patting me on the head saying ‘what a kidder I was,' ‘what a cute little lady you are,' and , ‘Honey, you should get your mom to buy you a bra. Your nipples are showing and I bet they are sore at times. Welcome to womanhood.' I was really embarrassed by that comment.

John walked in, all of her. I'd tried to get the records people to take me seriously and clearly failed. John had warned me, but let my male, um female pride find out the hard way. She decided it was time to bring out the big guns and had undone a few buttons on her blouse accordingly.

~~If I'm really stuck as a girl, I hope I never have breasts as big as hers. Now I know what a gunboat boat feels when it looks at a battleship. Now where did that analogy come from? But I mean, her breasts are so unwieldy and they *hang* out there so blatantly. And they way they jiggle around, it's disgusting … My Ghod, I'm jealous of her figure and I'm only eleven or twelve physically? I'm a junior bitch!~~ I was discovering the spell had changed more than my body; I was not only in a adolescent girls body, but I was thinking like one.

"Excuse me; I'm looking for my friend? She's here to do a name change after a magical gender change.

"Ah, there you are Joe. Don't tell me they didn't believe you? Don't worry I'll call the Governor; we're *good* friends since his divorce. The things we did in his office, hee hee …" she giggled. She whispered in my ear. "I met him once and we posed for a poster to promote wildlife conservation, but they don't need to know that. Learn from a pro, hon.

In the mean time the clerk's supervisor, a male walked up. I could see John's gorgeous eyes gleam with expectation at the slaughter she was about to unleash.

"Hi, I'm John, and my friend here just went though a nasty forced magical transformation from an adult man to a young girl and I was wondering if you could help her?"

The breathy way she said *adult* nearly had my motor running, and at my age you don't have one, I think. God I hope not! Turning into a female is enough for now; I don't need falling in love with any boy who looks like Leonardo De Caprio on my plate any time soon. ~~Why did I say Leonardo De Caprio and that tight ass of … Aaaaah!~~

It took nearly an hour, but eventually I had a county ID as, get this, Josephine Alyssa Friday. I was described as female, five foot, 90 pounds, blue—eyes, blonde hair, DOB … None of your damned business. Didn't see that one coming did you? They listed my original DOB but with an amendment, ‘physiological age reduced by twelve years due to MA, Wis statues section yada subsection yadda yada.' Translation, I was a man transformed by felonious Magic Assault to a woman twelve years younger. They included a 1-800 number incase there were ever any questions. Apparently this transformation *thing* had happened often enough that the State had a set of procedures in place.

* * * *

The DMV was something else again. Things had gone so well at the county … okay they hadn't at first, but I now had a new county ID, additional papers proving who I was and a 1-800 number in case of problems, so piece of cake, right? I had John drop me off and told her I would call when I was done. Just my luck, the office manager was the older brother of one of the officers *I'd* named as being on the take. That this was from the Chief's own internal investigation didn't matter, all that anyone other than the Chief knew was *I* was the rat who squealed on brother officers.

Windows closed for *lunch* just before I got to them. A completed form got *mangled* in an optical reader and I had to start over -- sounded like they put it through a paper shredder to me but I couldn't be sure. My number got skipped in the waiting line and when I complained I was told I'd missed my call and had to start over.

I'd been there all afternoon and I never got properly waited on. I got upset and went to the *receptionist*. "This is ridiculous. I have been here for four hours to do a simple name change on my driver's license and I keep getting the run around. I wish to speak to the manager on duty."

"He's not available."

"He's been in his office for the last hour, all alone; I can see him in there. I wish to speak with him, now!"

"As I said, you cannot see him."

"I have every right to see him as I have received terrible service at this DMV center and as he is the man in charge, he is responsible."

"Miss, keep your voice down or I will have you arrested."

"I've been perfectly calm and polite the entire time I've been here. As to arresting me, I wouldn't advise doing that ma'am. False arrest is prosecutable. If you won't announce me, I guess I will have to see him myself."

I got about ten steps away from her when I was tackled to the ground and handcuffed.

"I'd read you your rights, but as an ex-cop, you should know them, Joe- sie. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy being made into a little girl. Are you going to cry now?"

"Frank, that's enough. People are looking," I heard another man say quietly. From his highly polished shoes — that's all I could see with my face pressed into the carpet -- it had to be the manager. He put on his best public face for the few members of the public who were watching.

"I'm sorry we had to detain you, but you were disturbing the peace; we had no choice, little girl. Come back when you are older and can behave yourself."

"You must be the manager. You're a hard man to see," I muttered, more squeaked from my uncomfortable position on the floor.

"Then don't waste your time, Miss. Officer, escort the little girl out of here and transport her to juvenile services where they may be able to notify her parents."

"You know very well I'm an adult. Your officer here knows who I am. I know the law and I will sue."

"Who would believe you?"

"I would." I was never happier to hear my Chief's voice.

"Hi, Chief, fancy meeting you here," I said in a vain attempt to imitate James Bond's suave repartee'. Frank eased his grip on me. I noticed the Chief was backed by several department officers, one of whom, an Officer Hendricks, I recognized as an obvious FBI type.

"Officer Frank is it? I suggest you release this young lady at once, or I will have you arrested for assaulting an officer, police brutality, false arrest or and maybe a sexual assault charge. That last one ought to look good on your record in prison.

"As for you, Mister Manager, have you no shame, ordering the deliberate mistreatment and false arrest of a law abiding citizen? She was, until recently, undercover on a big multi-governmental investigation. Did you know that as a precaution after Joseph here …"

"I'm Josephine now, Chief, but you can call me Jo, that's a big J and a little O." I was feeling much better with the cuffs off and the knee out of my back.

"Thanks, Josephine. If you are wondering how we got here so fast, we planted surveillance devices in your clothing as a precaution.

"Jo here was transformed into a woman while acting as bait as part of an investigation into all those disappearing college students — a joint multi-state and Federal investigation I may add. We feared those responsible for her transformation might try to *finish the job.* Did you know the security cameras here can be accessed from the outside, if you have the right equipment?"

"That's all nice and good Chief, but I still need a new driver's license. These kind public servants wasted over three hours of my time more than was necessary. My back is sore, I think I have rug burns, and my wrists are raw from the cuffs. Oh, and my breasts hurt like hell, excuse me, Chief." I kicked the officer who had roughed my up hard in the shins, well, as hard as a twelve year old, ninety pound girl could. The result was predictable, Newton's Law's of Motion and all that.

"Ouch! Does your ankle have to be that hard? Don't laugh; if I was taller I'd have kneed you in the groin for what you did to me."

They all started to laugh. After awhile, I started to as well.

"Can I just get my new driver's license and you all can work out what administrative punishments or charges are appropriate or not? I'm not keen on filing charges unless the Chief insists, though I will if requested to. I can't let misconduct go unchecked, but admittedly, you all had reason to assume I'd ratted on fellow officers, possibly unfairly. That's no excuse, just a reason behind your actions. It was all part of my cover, now completely blown. If it's a violation of the law, I must report or I'm dishonoring the badge, but minor infractions should be an internal matter. Nobody is perfect, and even good officers make mistakes. I mean, look at me. One moments carelessness, and it's women's bathrooms the rest of my life." I giggled and smiled. It broke the tension.

Thirty minutes later I had a new DL with a very flattering photo, I looked HOT, for an adolescent girl. I received sincere apologies in person from everyone in the building, and the satisfaction of knowing that the officer who'd cuffed me so roughly, the office manager and the receptionist, were all on suspension until a review was completed by the State Patrol. The Chief and the District commander for the State Patrol were golfing buddies.
* * * *

Having a legitimate license once again, I *had* to drive John's car when she came to pick me up. The woman showed up in a BMW Z3. I was in LOOOVE! So was the Chief when he saw my chaperone.

"Chief, John. John, Chief." John here was my backup. She couldn't get to me in time to prevent this," I gestured at my body, "but she saved my life. Got to go, I need a whole new wardrobe … Daddy." I was enjoying myself. I'm a bad little girl.

"You're not going to hold me to that?"

"And why not, … Daddy? You're good looking, respected, have a solid paying job and will intimidate the hell out of any boys who want to *deflower* your daughter. Don't worry, I'll be a good girl. Anyway, I like more mature men. Officer Hendricks here is single and kind of cute, and I've seen him in the shower. He's hung like a horse." I licked my lips. ~~I am so wicked! … Why did I think that?~~

Hendricks turned beet red. The Chief looked on the edge of shock. I was ready to pee in my pants, I was having such fun. A small part of my mind was in shock but for now, the fun-loving tart was in charge.

"See you later. There's a bullet-bra out there with my name on it."

My laugh broke the spell and the Chief chuckled. "That's right, you can't reuse much of your old stuff except maybe for oversized sleep shirts. Buy whatever you need, and send the Department the bill. You've earned it."

"Thanks, Chief. John, let's go break their budget."

‘Ha ha funny, Jo. Get what you need, don't feel you have to hold back. I mean, how much can a twelve year old girl need?"

I took that as a personal challenge. John let me drive her Z3 to her apartment, where we switched to a more sensible mini van.

* * * *

I'm not the shopping type, but I can be when it is necessary. It was very necessary and I was in a playful mood. John and I shopped all that evening and much of, well all of, the next day. I needed a year-round wardrobe, grooming supplies suitable for a girl, makeup, furnishings more suited to a teenage girl, and so on. I also needed police gear scaled to my body, not an easy task. Finding a service side-arm I could control, yet had acceptable stopping power was quite a task in itself. And we spent considerable time getting me measured for a properly fitting bulletproof vest. Don't ask what size, it's not polite to ask a woman that. See? I'm learning.

By the start of the second day after my release from the hospital my *digs* were appropriately female without going overboard. I was ready for all likely weather and social situations. That included makeup, jewelry and earrings.

"Jo, a girl your physical age would likely have pierced ears these days. Since you are going back to campus and need to look as mature as possible, you will need every *edge* you can get. I've learned since my transformation, how much power the right clothing and accessories have to change a woman's look. Trust me on this, Jo."

I even have this hot little bikini John insisted I buy.

"Think of how you reacted to a young woman in such a swimsuit when you were Joseph. Can you understand the power at your fingertips if you wear the *right* suit, Jo?"

* * * *

We did get some interesting feedback when John and I presented the bill to the Chief. First of all, we were in coordinated outfits, big sister/little sister I guess you'd call it. I saw myself in the mirror after John helped me make myself up and except for my disappointing cleavage, I was one hot little number. When John and I entered the police station the guys whistled at us.

The Chief smiled until he saw the bill. "Five-thousand two-hundred thirty- seven dollars and twenty-nine cents?!"

"Chief, Jo here was very conservative and replaced less than half of her old clothes, and furnishings. If she'd followed my advice, the bill would have been more like eight—thousand. Remember, she is stuck like this, probably for the rest of her life. Is even one-hundred thousand too much to ask for as compensation?"

"Well, I guess not since you put it that way."

"Plus, look at her. Is Jo a looker or what?"

The Chief gave me a good look, then smiled, "Jo, you look great, every bit the sophisticated young woman."

That made me so happy and he was so handsome, I had to kiss him. I held it together until we left for the college when I broke down in tears.

* * * *

"What's wrong with me? I actually liked showing off my body and when I kissed the Chief I … I felt a flash of desire. I *wanted* him in my bed."

"We may have gotten you out of the hospital too soon, but we wouldn't have noticed this in there. I suspect it's your mind adjusting to your new body. The spell made you comfortable with being a girl, which is good in the long run. It also tried to force you to be even younger, which likely explains your playful exuberant moods. As to your *noticing* men, Jo, you are in the body of a girl at the height of puberty. Your budding breasts mean your mind is being saturated with sex hormones. Many girls go through the *boy crazies* at this stage of their development.

"Remember when you were a guy and puberty hit? I bet sometimes you swore your penis had a mind of it's own. You simply have it worse than most. As your mind and body adjust to these hormones you'll gain a measure of control. You are a woman, Jo. You can't help but respond to an attractive person. I've been a woman for the better part of five years, and the sight of a healthy young man still makes me melt. It's nothing to be ashamed of, Jo. And you're right, Hendrickson is packing a monster in those trousers."

We laughed as we hugged each other. John told me a little about her successes and failures with men and I poured out my heart to her about Mera and my new feelings. I felt much better after our talk. It wasn't the magic destroying my sanity, I was *hearing* the call of the wild, and I could handle that. I'd survived puberty as a man, this couldn't be that different, could it?

* * * *
Return to college escorted by distant cousin, Ms John. Mera is heart broken, suffers mental breakdown, hospitalized.. Some of her Goth/lesbian friends and Ms Tabor are too happy and or make sexual overtures to John and Jo

Wild night parting with the Goths. Her new senses cause Jo to find the hair/nails, condom with dried semen in that were used to transform her.

Nearly caught, fools them by acting as if the programming to make her think she was a little girl has made her hate all men. She admits she's a witch now and how cool it would be to get revenge for the crap men do to women.

"I wish I could turn men into women or better yet little girls, the more pigheaded and macho the better. I'd love to take some steroid pumped knuckle dragger and turn him into a four year old girl who loves Hello Kitty. The God Damned mother fuckers made my life hell as a man. Now all they do is patronize me or ignore me like I don't matter, except for the perverts would get off on underage women. It makes me sick." I said with conviction — this had all happened at times though not as bad as I let on. "

"You hate men too but you were one?"

"Don't remind me,. I'm so lucky to be hid of that rape stick between my legs. I know whoever did this to me meant to harm me but they did me a huge favor. They freed my soul. I realize now why I had such poor luck dating woman, I was one but didn't know."

Elise walked into the room. She looked at me like she was trying to read my innermost thoughts. "I saw how you looked at Mera that first night we met, you wanted to stick your penis in her and rape her. You were a man, not a girl trapped in a man's body. That's all crap anyways to excuse men transforming themselves in a sick scheme to spy on real women." She sneered at me and my anger rose.

She was the one who gave me the haircut and manicure as part of her "backup schooling in cosmetology." The hair that shed careful gathered in that Ziploc bag with my nail clippings. The same bag I found later with a used tiff condom in it along with hair and nail clippings. ~~She's the one who transformed me or provided the materials to do it. God, I bet she and Crystal slipped me a big dose of Viagra and rode me until they filled the condom with semen. No wonder I had such a hard-on the next morning and it hurt. Why the sanctimonious bitch!~~

"Take that back, you bitch!" I screeched in my adolescent and very female voice.

I leapt at her and started hitting, biting and scratching. I went for anything I could reach and she reeled under the unexpected assault. But she was twenty and worked out and I was physically eleven, in a growth spurt and less than 100 pounds, She turned regrouped her self and hit me hard in one of my budding breasts.

"That hurts!!" I started to cry and before I knew it she punched me in the other one. I doubled over in pain and she tried to pi me to the carpet.

"Elise, that's enough, She's one of us now and she's a kid. We don't beat up our own." Crystal tried to pull her off me.

I was pure pain and fury at that point and tried to kick at Elise as hard as I could. My knee hit something hard and it hurt a lot. Elise went limp, she weighted enough, her dead weight held me down..

"Elise, speak to me, what's wrong?"

"Ooooh, my nooss. Thith bitch broke my nooss!".

"You hit me in the chest and my breasts still are throbbing. You did that deliberately, that makes you the bitch."

Crystal started laughing.

"Whathss so fuuny?" Elise asked.

"Hon, Jo is all girl now. She's more of a girl than you are. No guy would say what she said or fight like she did. Let's get you to the emergency room and checked out, you too, Jo, I'm sorry we doubted you but …"

What Crystal didn't say was "we thought you were an undercover cop," but I knew.

* * * *

The day after my visit to the Country and the DMV we stopped by the Registrar’s office and update my information. I had obtained a new student ID and I was ready for class. John agreed until I had been to every class at least once she would tag along.

“One, you might need my help and two, this will be great, seeing how they react to the new you.”

“Won’t your presence spoil the effect?’

“I’ll wait nearby but out of sight. This is gonna be fun!”

“For you, maybe, I feel like a mouse in a room full of hungry cats.”

* * * *

That night at my refurbished bachelorette’s apartment we came up with a cover story to explain why John was suddenly my best friend. “Jo, if anyone asks, we are distant cousins on your mother side, and I have been asked to assist you until you are back on your feet.”

“What if they try to check it out our story?”

“Say the blood connection is through a bastard child. That should do it.”

“Where did you learn to be so devious?”

“From my sister, where else?”

“Ha, ha. Shut up and let’s go get some sleep, cousin.”

* * * *

I woke to the smell of breakfast cooking. “Thanks for staying with me last night, I’m still a little spooked, John.”

“Understandable, that’s why I stayed and it’s easier to go in together this way.

“I didn’t know you cooked.”

“I have many hidden talents, young grasshopper.”

“Wha?”

“Never heard of the TV series Kung Fu?”

“Vaguely but it was before my time.”
“Thanks for making me feel so old. Now eat up, today will be a busy day, little girl.”

“Why no coffee?”

“With your new body I didn’t think you’d want it or need it. Tea maybe?”

“I’m surpassingly awake and full of energy. Maybe you are right. Let’s go back to school.”

“So you like Rodney Dangerfield movies too?”

* * * *

We got to campus nice and early to double-check my route between classes. It was a good thing we did, too. One of my classes was the furthest possible distance across campus. It used to take almost eight minutes travel time and that was if I hustled. I pushed it extra hard for the test run.

“Twelve minutes forty-five seconds? That took nearly five minutes longer than it used to. If I’m not out the door at the moment class is supposed to end I’ll be late for the next one. Maybe I should wear roller blades or take a bike on these days.”

“Jo, you’re way shorter than you used to be, smaller steps take longer.”

“That and did you see those guys ogling you and accidentally bumping into us, John? Having to walk around them slowed us a lot.”

“Jo, it wasn’t all me. You didn’t notice how they were looking at you? I’ll admit I got my share of it, but as I am teaching seminars on modeling and acting, I’m seen as staff here and verboten. I’m famous enough to be intimidating to all but the most determined of men. You are a new face, young, cute, petite and highly approachable. In trying to make you look older we cranked up your Lolita factor sky-high.”

Lolita? Who or what is she?”

“You must be joking!”

“Honest, I’m not sure. I think a Lolita is an underage woman/child who looks and acts sexy and sophisticated but is still a child. Sort of Brittany Spears ten years ago?”

“Close enough.”

* * * *

We got to my first class, the psych 101 and Professor B F Skinner Mark II took my change all in stride. However my classmates … There seemed to be two predominant camps. There was the ‘Honey, aren’t you a little young to be in college? Are you one of those child geniuses? You look fourteen tops,’ camp. That was the group, mostly gals, who wanted to be mother or big sister to me, though there was a quid pro quo. ‘You must be awfully bright to get in to college so young. If you help me with my class work, I can show you how to act and dress like an older girl and the tricks to finding the best dates. You know, Jo, trade knowledge for knowledge?’

Then there was the other camp, the ‘When they said good things come in small packages they must have meant you, Babe.’ Don’t let those silicone uber-blondes get to you, you have a perfect figure. After all, what you can’t get in your mouth is wasted.’ And the immortal, ‘Heaven must be weeping at the loss of an angel like you.’ This was often accompanied by ominous budges in their trousers. Part of me was flattered as I was a woman, well woman/child now and was predisposed to like men.

The problem for me was all this sexual attention terrified me far more than it excited me. I was by far the smallest student in any of my classes. Everyone was bigger than me. There were maybe two girls my height, and both out weighed me by ten to twenty well-placed pounds; no one else was close to my size. When no one else could hear, one of the petite gals said to me, “You’re my type. I like girls. If you ever feel inclined to explore girl-on-girl, here’s my number.” She wrote her first name, e-mail address and phone number with a felt-tip marker on a brand-new pair of satin panties she got from inside of her dance-class clothing bag. I learned later she was a dance major and VERY *flexible*, if you know what I mean. She handed them to me, blowing me a kiss and saying, “Just a little something to remember me by, my little Miss Sexy.” I immediately decided to give her as WIDE a berth as possible.

I had similar experiences in a math lecture later that morning. Thankfully John was waiting in the wings ready to help me out, as I needed it a few times. My mind and body were confused. I had the mindset to know what I was being offered and to fantasize about the possibilities, but my body was sending me incomplete and confusing feedback. Mentally I was ready for intimacy; physically I was only barely capable of it if at all.

Between classes I entered a women’s room to relieve myself and I heard two girls talking about me, I assumed it was me. “Did you see the new girl, Jo was it? If she is fourteen I’d be amazed. What is a naive nymph like her doing here? I bet she’s still a virgin. A few months of careful training and she’d be my perfect little willing sex slave. I’d love to get my lips on her juicy …”

By now I’d pulled up my panties and slacks and sat cross-legged on top to the toilet seat. I was trying desperately to hide. I regretted not having my sidearm with me. I heard the outer door to the bathroom open. The two girls stopped talking and left. I started to shake with fear. Who would be next, one of the creeps who’d changed me coming to finish the job?

“Jo, are you in here? It’s John.”

I opened the stall warily, then ran up to her and hugged her like a four year old who had lost her mommy in a crowd and suddenly found her again.

“Hey, I like you too, Jo, but not that much. God, you’re crying, what’s wrong?” There was a small bench in the woman’s room and she guided me to it.

“I know I’m a kid now” — sniffle — “but I feel so vulnerable and the way people talk about me” -- sniff–“I’m like a piece of steak in a lion’s den.”

“You’re a cute young woman. Of course people find you attractive, Jo.”

“No, they want to *use* me. That last woman talked to her friend of training me as her sex slave. And what’s worse, part of me likes hearing this, that part of me wants to be taken and utterly used sexually. Most of me was sickened and terrified.”

“Do you want out of your assignment? It’s clear you’re still adjusting to your new body and emerging sexual identity. This is overwhelming you.”

“No, no! I’ll stick it out for a week or two and only then will I bail out if I can’t cope. I’m better bait now than I ever was. They know I was hunting them and they must fear I might remember who they were. They will panic and come after me at some point. I owe it to the other victims to be one tough little bitch. Promise you’ll stay near me?”

“You’ve got it.”

* * * *

Humans are creatures of habit and one of mine was to meet Jesus, the guy who’d mistaken me for a girl, for lunch at the same table in one of the nicer student cafeterias several times a week. We had studied together a little and it was good to have a casual friend in the midst of my undercover chaos.

“You sit here and hold our seats, I’ll get us something good to eat and I promise it won’t be just rabbit food and plain tea,“ John said making reference to the sad fact of girls starving themselves to get model thin.

I saw Jesus heading toward my table carrying a tray of food and looking more and more perplexed as he got a better look at me. Did I forget to say I still used my old back pack for hauling the books around? I did shorten the straps a lot I do admit. So here I am, sitting in Joe’s seat, by his backpack, and I looked a lot like his younger sister might if he’d actually had one.

I smiled at my friend and without thinking said, “Jesus, it’s great to see you. Sorry I missed the last few times but I wasn’t myself. Shit!” I swore, then I started to giggle my head off. This was so funny. Here I’d planned on being cool and sophisticated about this and I acted like an over-eager school girl on a first date.~~Date? No, don’t even go there, brain! He’s just a good friend I’m hoping to keep … though he is kind of sexy in an Antonio Banderas kind of way. What!?~~ “You’re hot!” I managed to say, then I giggled some more.

Jesus amazed me. I think that’s why we are such good friends now. “You must be my friend Joe’s younger sister or cousin, you look so much like him, but far prettier of course. Where is Joe? I haven’t seen him for a few days. I’m sorry, what is your name, Miss, and where do you go to school?”

John chose that moment to arrive with our food. “Here we go, Jo. I got you a cheeseburger with the works, ice tea with lemon and sugar, a fruit cup and a small side salad. I expect you to eat the salad first, I’m eating mine that way too. Hey, so I’m a part-time model, sue me. Ah, you must be Jesus, Jo’s friend.”

At this point most men’s brains, at least the one on top of their shoulders, would have shut down in favor of the blood rushing to their little head. I doubted Jesus was an exception to this but he fought to say in control, an act worthy of a medal, believe me. You should have seen how John was dressed. Hell, I was looking pretty good too if you like jailbait.

“Jo?” Your name is Jo”

I nodded.

“You’re that model and actress with the strange name, John, right.”

John nodded.

“You have Joe’s backpack, he hasn’t been around for some time and here you are, a young woman who looks like she could be Joe’s younger sister. And you’re accompanied by a famous woman with a mysterious past. A past rumored to be that of a man transformed by magic, thus the strange name, John.”

“And your point is, Jesus?” I asked.

“Joe?” He pointed at me as he asked.

“It’s Josephine now, but Jo is fine. That’s Jo, J and O not J, O and E. Did you miss me?”

* * * *

This was the most surreal lunch I ever hope to have, but in the end he believed me and agreed to stay friends. “You sound as smart as before, Jo, if anything your mind seems a bit quicker and you are ‘much’ more pleasing to look at.”

“Hey!”
“Not that you weren’t a man’s man before.”

“That’s more like it.”

“So, John, will you be tagging along with Jo here? You fancy going out for a drink with me and maybe some dancing, my treat?”

“Jesus! That’s uncalled for and in front of your girl. Shame on you! You could have at least invited the two of us”

We all laughed after that and the rest of my first day back went well. As I lay that night in my suddenly huge and somehow empty bed I got to thinking. ~~I know it’s a bit early to consider this but Jesus is not a bad man. He’s bright, funny, ambitious and attractive in his way. By the time he’s a graduate I’ll be sixteen or maybe eighteen physically. At a minimum, he’ll keep the wolves at bay.~~

* * * *

The second day back I was ready for the hassles and determined to force my attacker’s hand. This time we would be ready. My first class was my history course on late 20th century politics with Ms. Lenore Tabor, self-confessed man-hater. I didn’t know what to expect. I presented my explanatory papers to her. She looked at me very carefully and seemed to go through a series of confliction emotions. Surprise, sympathy, smug satisfaction, embarrassment, a hint of lust or envy and fear took brief turns on her face.

“I understand Jo, we will talk after class about this. For what it is worth, I am sorry. If you ever need any help adjusting, see me. You were a good student as a man; I suspect you will be no less so as a woman.

We were maybe ten minutes into her lecture when she had had enough of the near constant whispering. I was attracting a lot of attentions as my story was making it around the campus grapevine.

“We clearly won’t get any where today until this is settled. Class you may have heard of the students who disappeared in recent years. It was explained away publicly as the unfortunate effect off too much alcohol combined with the unfortunate proximity of a large and dangerous river. I imagine many of you have also heard the rumors that the disappearances were due to foul acts of witchcraft being used to transform the unwary.”

“Jo, would you stand up, please?”

I got up and moved to where the class could see me. “Hi.”

“Jo until a few days ago was Joseph and a twenty-four year old man. She has the documentation to prove who she was.”

“Thank you, Jo, you may sit down.”

“This is an example of a total disregard for the rights of the individual. Some person or persons had the power to transform people and choose to do so irregardless of Joe’s rights. Take a few minutes and write down as many examples of abuse of power by governments and other large organizations in the latter half of the twentieth century. Lets see how many we can name.”

* * * *

I got a few strange looks at the end of class, but overall the response appeared positive or at least neutral. I arranged to meet with Ms Tabor about the status of my mentoring later in the afternoon.
* * * *

I sat at my favorite table eating a surprisingly tasty fish sandwich — I was trying to be health conscious for John’s sake — when I heard something that chilled my soul.

“I heard a rumor that you’d been turned into a little girl, but this is too good to be true, Joe_sie.” Her smart-ass tone made my skin crawl.

“It’s Jo, Elise. That’s a Big J, little o. Do you hate men that much?” I was trying to be James Bond *cool,* but inwardly I was shaking like a leaf.

“What did you expect would happen? How dare you spy on us … Sargeant. If there was any justice, you’d be in a pink top and Pampers, but we don’t always get what we ask for, Missy.” She poked me in the chest and it hurt. My budding breasts were sensitive.

I got angry and stood up. “What if someone turned you into a man or a baby boy against your will? Would that be right? I don’t care what your sexual preferences are, that’s nobody’s business but yours, but I do care when innocents get hurt. There is a girl in a coma because her friend tried to kill herself after they were both changed into men. You think that is funny, Elise? She may never regain consciousness, and will die in a man’s body because some bastard had the power and said ‘I don’t give a fuck.’”

“Why you little bitch!” Elise muttered. We were gathering the notice of other dinners who slowly backed away.

“I’d be damned careful what I said, Elise, because what you’ve said already suggests you had prior knowledge of what would happen to me. Failing to inform the authorities of what would happen makes you an accessory before the fact to several felonies, aggravated assault for the transformation, and attempted first degree murder. They threw me in the Mississippi and left me to drown. You’re looking at decades in prison, Elise, unless to help us catch these creeps and restore what was taken from the victims. And don’t you ever do this again.” I poked her in both breasts as hard as I could and she doubled over in pain.
“You were warned, girly, stay away or suffer the consequences.” She looked ready to slap me. A hand grabbed her wrist and twisted the arm behind her back and she winced with pain.

“You leave this young woman alone. How dare you threaten her? Get out of here, now.”

“Are you okay, Jo? Do you want me to stay with you for a while.”

“What are you, her boyfriend? This is rich, a woman less than a week, and already getting some. Do you like fucking little school girls? God you’re sick.”

“Get out of here before I do something you will regret.”

“This is not over, Jo.” Elise stormed off to some jeers. I started shaking as the adrenaline rush work off.

“I know this is weird, but would you just let me hold you, please?”

“If you really want me too, Jo.”

* * * *

We spent the next fifteen minutes with me clamped onto Jesus like a barnacle to a rock. He must have been horribly embarrassed, but said nothing; he just let me calm myself down at my own pace. I relaxed and slowly extricated myself from him.

“Thanks, I … I know that had to be hard, seeing as you thought I was a girl when we met during registration. You’re a class act, and if I can ever do something for you, just name it.” I stood and put on my back pack on in preparation to leave. I didn’t feel like eating anymore.

“Get the bastards who would do something like this to others.”

“You have my word. Oh, and, Jesus …”

“Yes?”

I grabbed his head with my hands and kissed him and ran off as fast as my legs to take me.

~~God … Why did I do that!?~~

* * * *

I had a gap between classes, so I stopped by the theater department to see John. She was showing her students how different lighting filters and effects could change ones appearance despite no change in clothing or makeup.

“If you understand the basics of how lighting affects your appearance, you will be way ahead of the game when it comes to your competitors for jobs, and believe me, modeling is a cutthroat business, I have met women I would have given a arm and a leg to date when I was a man, who were turned down for modeling because they came off as’ too explicitly sexual, we don’t do porn here’ or ‘not another Claudia Schiffer’ and so on.”

“John, can I speak to you later?”

“Jo, wait a minute. Class, this is Jo, she’s a cousin of mine several time removed on my mother’s side and your worst nightmare if she ever chooses to enter modeling. Take a ten minute break and we’ll get back to this.”

* * * *

“We can speak now. I locked the room so no one can disturb us. Now that we’re alone, what gives, Jo? What’s so important it couldn’t wait and no, I’m not angry at all ... Munchkin?”

“Elise, Crystal’s lover, came up to me at lunch and all but confessed she was involved or knew who did this, my transformation, to me. She also tried to scare me off of the investigation. My memory of that night is hazy from alcohol, the drugs and magic they did to me but I remember her introducing me to this very Goth girl, almost a witch’s outfit who was the last person I remember before this tall woman saved me from drowning. I have vague memories of this woman and pain, like a hornet was stinging me … No, it was a syringe, a medical syringe.”

“Crystal?”

“Mera’s roommate, Crystal, is a confirmed lesbian but was nice enough to me. Mera didn’t like Elise much, I don’t know why. But Mera is, or was, bisexual so might have been jealous. This all beyond me, John.”

“And the lovely Mera was your lover for a while and Dr Man-haters office assistant. I don’t like the possibilities here.”

“I’m due to meet with the doctor in her office in a couple hours. I hope to see Mera and find out why she didn’t come too see me. The last time we spoke we were on very good terms. Hell, we’d just had sex earlier that day and we were glowing..”

“That worries me even more. She was the hots for you, then all but disappears after your transformation, this is mucho bad mojo. Cancel, at least until I can cover you.”

“Mucho bad mojo? Where do you get these phrases from, John? I don’t think I should cancel. Ms Tabor seemed honestly shocked and upset I’d been transformed, and despite her predilection to hate men, she wasn’t gloating. If anything she envied me or was attracted to me. She does like women.”

“That could be worse, she might be tempted to seduce you. You are the best of all possible worlds to her. You’re a transformed man, you are a pretty and desirable young woman. You are also physically underage, yet legally an adult, and Dr Tabor knows you are an adult. I hope it’s not the case, but she could see you as legal jailbait. Think of it, as it stands now, she could argue it was consensual sex between two adults.

“I’m just playing Devil’s advocate about her, but you need to cover your cute butt, Jo. You’re not a man anymore, you not even an adult. You’re physically an adolescent girl who simply does not have the strength to fight off attackers.”

“I have to do it. I owe it to the Doctor and Mera to explain myself and to enlist their aid in catching the people who did this to me, to all of us. There is no way I can go back to being a police officer anytime soon. I have the knowledge, but I would fail the physical. My best hope it to finish this assignment and stay in school; take a sabbatical from the department as it were. I can earn a degree or even an advanced degree as my body matures. I intend to keep up my police training as much as possible, and once I am physically an adult again I will be in a much better position to rejoin the force or to pursue a different career.”

“Great career plan, but this meeting worries me. I should be with you.”

“That would complicate matters. I can leave my cell phone on and you can listen in.”

“I’ll think about it. There’s more than just Elisa the terrible and this meeting bothering you, Jo.”

“Magic?”

“No, I read body language fluently.”

“It’s … I’m not used to this body, being this small, this short, this vulnerable. Elise got to me. She pushed all my buttons and a breast. Do girls know how much that hurts, poking a girl in her tender chest? I though getting a baseball in the nuts hurt. God help me but I wanted to kill her for doing that it hurt so. I got her back in both breasts and she doubled over for a moment. It felt great watching her suffer, does that make me a bitch?”

“No, you had every right to fight back, and you have the right to be a bitch when necessary. I can be quite the bitch at times. It’s just like guys being macho. They compete with each other to be the alpha male, we compete to choose the best male.”

“I lost it after Elise left. That’s wrong, I lost it after Jesus helped scare her off. He was my white knight, okay, my Hispanic knight. He wasn’t macho or possessive; he was more like a brother to me. When she left, all the stress hit me at once. I asked to let me hold him, I was shaking with fear. It felt good; it felt right to be with him. I felt safe and loved and I kissed him. Am I gay? Am I crazy? Say something instead of grinning at me.”

“Jo has a boyfriend, Jo has a boyfriend!”

“I do NOT! ... Do I?”

“I went through this denial, too. Your case is different but not that different. Jesus is a friend, one of the few you have here, and he’s stayed a friend after your transformation, right?”

“So?”

“This is just an experiment. I’m opening my blouse and exposing a breast. I’m not coming on to you. Jo. Go ahead and touch it. I’m giving you a golden opportunity to go where half of America’s men would die to be.”

“There, I touched it, so?”

“You barely brushed them. Here, here’s both of them, two of the most famous breasts in North America. Come on, give them a good fondle, I won’t mind.”

“John, I … can’t.”

“We are both adults, do it. Suck on them if you want. As guy you’d kill to do it.”

“I .. NO! I don’t want to!”

“Eureka! Jo, do you realize what you said? You don’t desire women, not me at least. You are female in every sense, now. I’m sorry and I’m glad. You should fit into your new body much more smoothly than I expected. Though you are jumping the gun a bit, you really are attracted to Jesus. He seems a nice man and he’s proven his loyalty to you. Maybe he is your destiny, your mate.”

“My what?!”

“Um, the guy who sticks his penis in you and makes babies?”

“No!”

“I’m sorry, Jo, but I’d had to test you. You don’t have to be his lover, but your preference is unmistakable. Take your time but I think you are like me and prefer men. Since we probably can’t change you back, that is for the best, don’t you think?”

I left the room in a daze. Was I destined to be a lover of men? And what about my beloved Mera?’

* * * *

M My sidearm wasn't ready yet and I was reluctant to carry it until I'd had a chance to get proficient with it. Inexperience and a new gun are a dangerous combination. I stopped by campus security and after a bit of telephone tag we got my Chief and their Chief on the line. We set up a three-way teleconference with me in a secure office.

"Jo, I agree with the Campus Chief. The meeting this afternoon is dangerous. You need backup."

"I fear an obvious backup would mess things up with Ms Tabor and Mera, whether they are involved in the crimes or not. I would take my service sidearm, but the gunsmith is not finished with the needed customization."

"You bought a custom gun, Jo?"

"Chief, none of the standard-issue side arms fit me. My hands are too small. A gunsmith measured me and is modifying a lady's automatic to both fit me better, and to accept a more powerful load. It amounts to fitting a smaller grip to a normal police side-arm and adding a kick suppression barrel to compensate for the recoil, changed balance and my weaker hands. It won't be ready for several days."

"I may have a solution, Chief, Jo. We have compact police grade teargas sprays, like a pepper spray, but far more potent. I can temporarily issue one to Jo. At close range it is quite effective."

"Chiefs, what if I take one of the mini teargas spays and have my cell phone on, but in my pack? My regular backup or several of the Campus Security people could be listening at a discrete distance and come a-running if things go south. What do you say, Chief … and you, Daddy?"

"Daddy?! He's your Daddy, I mean your father?"

They agreed and I left Campus Security packing heat, well packing more of a luke-warm, but it was better than nothing. They also agreed with my idea of a remote backup. The Campus Security Chief himself volunteered to be one of my backups. He really got a kick out of my chief trying to explain the Daddy reference. I figure within a week every Chief in the state will believe I am the illegitimate offspring of …

* * * *

I arrived at Ms Tabor's office fifteen minutes early; I was not going to be late for this one. I'd paused out of sight just before entering, turned on my phone and made sure they could hear me and that my speaker was off. I entered the office. Mera was typing away on some document. She noticed me and smiled in her usual manner. "May I help you, Miss?"

I resisted the urge to run up to her and tell her everything at once. "I have an appointment with Ms. Tabor at four o'clock. The name is Josephine Friday, but everyone calls me Jo." I thought I saw a moment's confusion in her eyes but it passed.

She acted as if I'd said nothing odd. "She is running a little late but she won't be long."

"Thanks."

I sat there in awkward silence until Ms. Tabor came in.

"Ah, punctual, Ms. Jo, a most admirable trait, thank you. Mera give me five, make that ten minutes, then bring Jo in to see me. You will attend our little meeting as well."

"Yes, Ms Tabor."

The doctor entered her office and Mera looked at me. Again the momentary disorientation/confusion registered in her eyes.

"Jo, can I get you something? Would you like a bathroom break before the meeting? Ms Tabor doesn't like to be interrupted."

"Who does? A bathroom break would be lovely."

"Follow me then." Mera led me to the nearest ladies room and we both availed ourselves of the facilities. We finished with a good five minutes to spare.

"Would you like a soda or juice? We have a vending area just down the corridor."

"Thank you, please. I am thirsty."

When we got to the small vending machine alcove I tried to get out my purse but she stopped me. "My treat, and it's not a big deal, Ms. Tabor has a kitty for me to use for her guests."

"I see they have orange soda, it's my favorite."

She got me my orange soda and got herself a diet cola. "It's strange, but I swear I know you from somewhere."

My heart beat faster. "I look like someone you know, or was it my name?" I know that was leading the witness, but I was too excited.

"It's strange; I can almost picture someone with nearly the same name. And your face is very familiar but wrong somehow. It may come to me. It's strange, but my memory has been playing me tricks of late and I always had a great memory. What was your name again?"

"Jo, my name is Jo Friday."

"Jo … Oh, Damn that hurts! I'm sorry I've been getting these terrible headaches. I never had them before."

"You should see a doctor after work, this could be serious."

"Thank you, Jo, Oooh! Another one."

~~Shit, she is in shock from my accident. She found out what happened, but her mind won't accept it. Or she has been drugged or maybe her mind is being attacked by magic in some fashion. Poor Mera. I'll help you, I swear,~~

We walked back and she led me into Ms. Tabor's private office.

"I trust Mera here took good care of you?"

"Oh yes, she helped me to freshen up and got me a soda. I am worried for her, she not feeling well." Yes, I know, I said "freshen up." I wasn't going to say, "I took a piss." There are ways to say things, then there are ways to say things.

"I'm better now, thanks."

"Thank you, Mera, and thank you, Ms. Tabor, that is a sweet touch offering your guests soda and such."

"Mera, check that there is no one in the outer office, then lock it and come back here and lock this door. This is important."

I couldn't help but look at Mera's lovely figure as she glided out of the room..

"I noticed Mera has been odd as of late, Jo. Is this connected with …?"

"Mera, sit down, Jo here has something to explain to us. Listen until she finishes, then we will both have questions, I imagine."

"How do I begin? With the truth, I suppose. I owe the truth to both of you. Ms. Tabor here knows part of the story but not all." She appeared ready to say something but held back

"Mera, you have heard of the students who disappeared from campus? You may answer this."

"That is a strange question for someone of your age to be asking. I shouldn't be surprised by it, you do seem much more mature than your appearance would indicate. Yes, over a dozen students have disappeared in the last year or so, supposedly the victims of too much drinking and the fact the late night district is near the Mississippi River."

"Have you heard an alternative explanation, one involving magic?"

"Yes, it's been claimed that most of these disappearances are people transformed by magic in some cruel way."

"I have proof that these illicit and immoral transformations have occurred. I am a victim. I am an undercover officer assisting the local police, state patrol and the FBI in investigating these disappearances. I was chosen because I was new to the area and fit the profile of several of the known victims. My name is Josephine Alyssa Friday and I am approximately twelve years old physiologically. Until a few days ago I was a twenty-four-year-old man by the name of Joseph Aloysius Friday. I was and hope to remain under Ms. Tabor's tutelage after this investigation ends and to remain your close friend, my dear Mera."

Ms. Tabor looked a little angry but in control. Mera stared at me.

-- SLAP ! --

"You bastard, I trusted you. My god, I had sex with you and … Oh it hurts, God it hurts!" The pain fled from Mera's face as quickly as it came and her manner changed abruptly. I could see Ms. Tabor was very concerned for Mera.

"Is this some kind of silly joke, Ms Tabor? You know I don't like boys, and as to magic, there is no such thing.. Is Jo here your niece? Ha ha very funny."

"Mera, I don't like men. I cannot and will not trust men but Joe, I mean Jo has freely confessed to us what he and now she did, and I am willing to give her the benefit of doubt. I didn't strictly approve of your having relations with Joe. I must admit you were quite the couple and whatever you did in private had you glowing with happiness. I know the look; I had a wonderful lover on my college days, Katie. She could make me melt."

"I did not have sex with some man called Joe! ... Joe.. Jo, that really is you. I'm so sorry I meant to come to the hospital and … Ghod!!"

-- Thump! -- "Medical emergency, Ms. Tabors office, Canton Hall, Room 207a. Hurry. I have a woman unconscious after a series of severe headaches. It may be due to magical assault, repeat, possible magical assault."

"You have a radio on you?"

"An open cell phone line. Sorry, Ms. Tabor, but since my assault I have to be careful."

"I understand, Jo. I'm not happy about it but I understand. I'll get the doors and let in the paramedics."

* * * *

"How is Mera, you've been working on her for thirty minutes?"

"It's only been twelve but I understand. My men can't find the cause of her coma, and it is a coma. She unresponsive to most stimuli on a conscious level, and we are getting a bizarre brainwave pattern. It's like two minds are in her head at once."

"What?"

"All the normal patterns are there, but it's like two sets are running at he same time. Whatever is causing it is doing her great harm. Her blood pressure is rising, as is her heart rate. Her body temperature and respiration are rising, too. If we can't control it, she may die."

I remember hearing the distinctive click-clicking of high heels.

"It's a magic attack, the signs are all there. I was listening in on your open cell phone, Jo."

"And you are … You're that model!"

"Yes, and I am also trained in magic."

"That's your Mera, Jo?"

"Yes." I cried for the first time. Up until now I'd stayed strong.

"Mera is under some kind of remote mind control. Someone has put a spell on her or linked her to them via some magical focus and is playing a dangerous game with Mera's mind. If only we can find how they are doing this, a mind link works both ways. We could give this creep a taste of their own medicine."

"How do we find this link?"

"Given how powerful this is, it must be something she is wearing, clothes jewelry. Most commonly it's a necklace, earrings or …"

"Her hair band, it's new, and I know her intimately!"

"Okay, you bastard I hope this really hurts."

"No, Jo, don't put it on!"

I ran off and locked a door behind me. "Mera, for you." I fixed the image of Mera in her pain in my mind. I focused every bit of my will into it and put on the hair band.

* * * *

I noticed the smell of flowers. I felt weak but … I didn't know quite what I felt.

"I think she's waking up." I didn't recognize the voice.

"Feel like crap. Where am I?"

"In the high security ward of La Cross General Hospital, Jo, it's for your safety. There still may be a few out there we didn't get."

"Can I have someth' t' drink? So thirsty."

"Here, Jo. Sip slowly. You've been though a lot."

"Nice, orange soda."

"She said it's your favorite. We talked, a lot."

"Jesus?"

"When John told me, I had to come, Jo. You've been out for three days."

"You are a good friend."

"Just a friend, Jo? I see you blushing."

"Give me a break I'm only twelve. John, is that you?"

"You owe me, I had to postpone a photo shoot, but the Sports Illustrated people were most understanding. And it was in Maui."

"Wait a minute. Jesus, you said ‘She said it was your favorite.' Where is Mera?"

"When you broke that mental link she stabilized and began responding to treatment, or so I am told. She was in intensive care for a while, Jo, as a precaution. John here whipped up a little healing spell she adapted from some book she refuses to tell me about. Mera has improved rapidly since. John was going to use the spell on you but you started healing yourself. Mera is resting in another room but would like to see you when you are up to it. Some others want to see you too, and to thank you."

"Others?"

"I'll explain to her, Jesus."

"You wouldn't know, would you, but then you were unconscious, Jo. Your act of total idiocy broke the case, or at least most of it. You somehow managed to send all the pain they were using to control her back to the other end of the link and she tried to kill herself."

"Who?"

"That very Goth person you mentioned, the friend of Elise."

"She tried to kill herself?"

"No, we got to her before she could flee or harm herself. She was packing to go as we broke into her home; a right little den of black magic it was, too. Elise turned her in."

"Elise, why?"

"Because she nearly killed herself trying to jump out a fifth story window in the Physics building. She was on the other end of that *Psychic Hairline* …"

"Euw! That is so bad."

"Sorry Jo. She caught the backlash full on, and without letup. Remember we suspected your transformation unleashed a talent for magic? Hon, welcome to the Coven, you are a genuine broom carrying witch."

"Witch?" I complained, but it quickly became a giggle.

"You must be getting better, you're laughing again. You boosted the intensity of the pain such that Elise lost the will to live and tried to kill herself to end the torment."

"How could I do that? And how did she survive?"

"Short version, Elise felt all the pain Mera felt. She also felt the love you had for each other and the pain you felt when you though Mera was dying. Elise realized she'd made a terrible mistake in helping this very Goth girl as you called her. In her confused and pain filled mind, suicide was the only way out. She chose the wrong window to jump out of, it was above a huge dumpster full of office waste for paper recycling. Its plastic lid shattered when she hit it, taking out much of the impact and the paper scraps further cushioned the fall."

"How is she?"

"She's under extra tight security, including magical measures and will go nowhere soon. Not with a concussion, a compound fracture of her left arm, two broken legs, a broken pelvis, multiple broken ribs and sever paper cuts."

"John!"

"So I exaggerated about the paper cuts."

"Jo, when you are better, we need to talk, and so does Mera. You know we both love you."

"I love you, both you and Mera, Jesus. You are great friends." I yawned. This was too much excitement for the moment.

"No, I mean we both are both in love with you, and that will take some careful thought, what with your physical age and well, just everything. Mom will freak, I've in love with a twelve-year-old police officer. At least you're a girl, but so is the other person who loves you. I'm in college a few months and I'm already in a love triangle."

"There, I made you smile, dear Jo. Just know this, if all we ever are is friends, I will treasure that. You'd better rest, you look exhausted."

"Thanks, I … I understand."

Every one said their goodbyes and I started to drift off.

"Oh, Jo." One remained behind.

"Yes, John." I yawned.

"Your Chief was wondering, if when you are feeling better he, his niece and her best friend could come for a visit. The niece is a bridesmaid for her friend and they were wondering if maybe you'd like to be a bridesmaid, too. Sweet dreams, Jo."

I knew that that last bit needed a lot of explanation but for now sleep sounded pretty damn good. And I had the added incentive of not one but two sexy people to dream about who loved me. ~~Mera I understand but since when did Jesus become sexy? … Oooh, Office Hendricks, is that all for me? …. Oh dear!~~

I just know the next few years will be *interesting*.

* * * *

To be continued?

up
38 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great story

This is a real fun story - I love the crazy humour and the characters (even if the Dragnet references went mostly over my head). It will be interesting to see what magic powers have been awakened by Jo's transformation, I'm really looking forward to the next part.

Snickering ...

John's writing is imaginative and his stories have their own ... unique ... premises.

You can get a headache trying to follow his twists and turns, but he has a good track record in tying everything up into a coherent package.

Here, for example, we have mysterious man-haters who are associated with the protagonists supposed girlfriend.

Was Mera on their side? What about Elise?

Can I restrain myself from a trip to Wauwatosa to badger the ending out of John?

Seriously, though, this is good, fun stuff.

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite."
Robert A. Heinlein

Nicole (a.k.a. Itinerant)

--
Veni, Vidi, Velcro:
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

A note on 714: By the Book

I was a bit rushed at the end and posted without givinc Holly Logan a change to review my chagges and additions.

The painful -- they were to me when I saw them today -- proofing errors are all my fault, especially so in the last few pages. Up to then Holly did a bangup job in the limited time I gave her.

She is one on many helpful people here who make what others and I write so much better.

I can't say thanks often enough to people like Holly Logan, Itinerant, Janet Nolan, Karen_J and others who have helped me or have offered to at one time or another.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. AAAAAK! Tonight is the deadline. Hum maybe Holly can get to it, at a min I'll fix the stinking F***-ups.

P.P.S. The real villian LIKES Willie Nelson

-- snicker, guffa, snort --

John in Wauwatosa

Plotting...

First, this is quite interesting and enjoyable. This needs to be continued!

Second, perhaps I'm coming at this from too much Harry Potter fanfic, but...

In a society where magic is known well enough to be this accepted by the system (enough so to be a known-cause in central databases), there should be training of some sort. Even in our world, if you find that you have magical abilities, you can seek out a training coven, usually under the auspices and within the neopagan traditions of Wicca, within which to develop control and skill with your abilities, alone and in circle with others. In your fictional world, there should at least be instructors advertising in the backs of those newpapers one finds in the health food stores (think of how Reiki practitioners/instructors advertise themselves); and, probably, day and evening classes taught at the vocational-high-school and comunity-college levels, leading to recognized certifications (the kind of magical capabilities so far depicted are vital to improving medical practice in the emergency room and in emergency response, at least).

Jo is now physically small, but with a compensating new power. After seeing to conventional defense, as described (firearms, protective garments), it should be a priority (strongly suggested by the Chief, if no one else) for her to get certified instruction on turning her new abilities to account, at least as a defensive capability (starting with fundamental effects like levitation, summoning and repulsing, heat and light, all of which require more raw power than skill and focus). Perhaps that simply hasn't come up yet in the tale-so-far.

Or, perhaps, it will be required after a trigger event where an emotion-driven panic-defense injures or kills someone, such as in the upcoming meeting; hurling Elise out a fifth-story window or burning her to cinders would do nicely. Gaining enough control to be able to wield one's abilities when in emotional states other than fear and anger makes one safer to be around: it makes measured responses possible. That's reason enough for society to require you to undergo training.

Or, perhaps, you're presently mulling over how far into that side issue you wish to delve. Following Jo into that kind of training will illuminate a lot of the magical backstory and subculture, so it'll take some intensive thought to make it all self-consistent. Even if it's tangential to your current tale, this is an interesting world you've posited; there can be more stories sited there, so the effort's not wasted.

Definitely waiting for the next part

Hi John,

I remember this from before and I really like the way you've fleshed it out, can't wait for the rest.

Kindest regards,
talonx

John, John, John ...

I hope you're not going to make us wait too long for the rest of this? It is of course in your maniacal style that defines logic but works anyways. Poor Sgt. Jo, I feel sorry for the two Goths responsible. I have a feeling some serious payback is in the works. You know the old rebounding bad Karma of 7 times the evil done? Kool stuff John!
grover in Carolina.

Warning latest more or less complete entry is up

With monumental help from Holly Logan and some helpful hints from readers including Kiai, I finished.

The last scenes Holly did not get to review but the proofing errors should not be too bad as I spent a fair amount of time and passes on it.

Once I got past the tough bits and my muse behaved itself, this was fun. I may revisit Jo, John, Mera, Mrs Minnesalle and the gang here in 714. Plus How to Change Yourself has it's possiblities but Timeout has been sadly neglected.

Good luck to all in the contest though Krunchie probably has us all whipped.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

An Antic and Manic Read

This story has many a twist and turn. It is a fun read, although it really needs spelling and grammar fixed to allow future readers to enjoy the story without having to mentaly fix errors.

zomba

Good stuff!

For some reason I missed this the first time around and just read through it - I love it! The humor in this is really right up my alley. It's a twisty alley...
Any chance of an ending for it? :-)

John, what a great story.

John, what a great story. I would love to see this version on the "big screen" or TV as it would be neat with all the special effects they could do in it. I do hope you add more chapters to this story, so we can see how Jo and John move on in their lives at college and after.