Tamara's Trials - Chapter 31 "Relationships"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Thirty One

 

"Relationships"

 

 
Wednesday 18th February
 

"Hi Tammy."

"Hello John. I saw Sandy yesterday so don't tell me any fibs."

"Oh."

"Please don't upset Sandy, Tanya's her youngest. Debbie and David are still enjoying life but do not behave like rabbits in the room next to their mother."

"I know, anyway that's not why I called."

"Sorry for having a go at you, but you really screwed things up!"

"Ouch! I know, I know. Anyway I don't think it's a good idea for me to be there tomorrow."

"If we're doing a West Side excerpt then I need you, I need Riff."

"Yes, but Tanya's there and Sandy will get wild again."

"I need you there but want to know you won't remove your clothes near Tanya this time."

"Of course, I wouldn't."

"Then nothing adverse would happen, don't wimp out on me over this."

"I'm not sure, Tammy."

"If you're not there tomorrow to give Tanya a kiss in front of her mother you might as well forget the whole thing now."

"Really?"

"Yeah, fancy explaining to your own parents why you broke the engagement off?"

"Good point, I give in. What time do I have to be there?"

"Nine thirty at the library unless you need your hair done first."

"Sandy did it last Friday."

"I'll see you at the library, don't be late!"

Tammy put her phone down, not only had she been matchmaker for that pair but now she was counsellor as well. How long before Tanya rang her? Not long, sort of, as her phone beeped.

"Can we meet?"
 
"Later, things to do first"
 
"Lunch?"
 
"Am I buying?"
 
"Ta!"

Tammy didn't have anything planned until late morning, when Joan had offered to drive her into town, plus Sarah had confirmed she would prefer Tammy's help later.

"Dad, have you seen Leanne? Last time I saw her was Friday or Saturday."

"She was here Sunday and Monday but I think she's off now, why?"

"I wondered if she was avoiding me?"

"Why would that be?"

"Well, before I moved across here she was around me all the time, at least once an hour, but now she's almost invisible - it's not as if there's any secret passages in this house, are there?"

"I haven't found any, not yet, and none were marked on the plans. I'll call her flat and check."

"Thanks."

Tammy let herself into the study and took the security card out of the safe before inserting it into the phone. She dialled and was surprised when it rang only once.

"Hello?"

"Who's calling?"

"It's Tammy, isn't Heather there?"

"No, her calls are being diverted to me. Is that Tamara Smart?"

"Yes, sorry but who are you?"

"I'm Jennifer, Heather's manager, what can I do for you?"

"I hope I can arrange dates for my work in Cornwall."

"I have Heather's diary but you'll have to do an induction here first."

"Who organises that?"

"I do."

"Okay, what do you have in mind?"

"You'll report here on the twenty ninth of June, I'll write to you with precise joining instructions. Do you have any questions?"

"No, except I don't know where you are."

"Thames House in London."

The building name sounded familiar to Tammy. "Thanks, I'll see you in June. Bye."

"Bye."

Tammy put the handset back on the cradle and quickly searched for Thames House on her phone, finding it led straight to the MI5 website. She wasn't certain she would like this Jennifer, and Heather hadn't mentioned anything about an induction, or even a Security Service organised abduction to London. So much for sunny Cornwall, she thought.

There was a knock on the study door. Since the weekend Richard had fixed a simple Occupied/Unoccupied notice on the door, for obvious purposes. Tammy opened it and found a tearful Leanne stood there, Tammy ushered her in and closed the door gently.

"What is it, have I upset you, Leanne?"

The maid threw herself at Tammy, wrapping herself around the confused teenager.

"Leanne, Leanne, what is it?"

"I've been so silly."

"What is it?"

"The Valentines card, I put it there, forgive me."

"Leanne, calm down. You put it on the doormat?"

"Yes, no, I wrote it."

"Why?"

"I thought I loved you. I'm giving Mr Smart my resignation and I'm leaving, I wanted you to know why."

"Stop it Leanne. You're very good at what you do and I can forgive you for anything."

"But I would still love you."

"Please, I'm not ready for a relationship."

"Then I'll go."

"No, stay, I just don't want either of us to get hurt."

"I don't think it's right, I'm a mess."

"Have you spoken to your sister?"

"She told me I had to speak to you."

"Then let us forget the card, it was just something silly."

"I meant what I said."

"Look, go back to your flat and think about it. Don't make a rash decision you'll regret later."

"Thank you."

Leanne went to kiss Tammy then thought better of it, swiftly leaving the study. Joan saw her leave then joined Tammy in the study, closing the door behind her.

"What was all that about?"

"I don't want to say, I don't want her to be punished."

"I heard Julie in the kitchen telling her to speak to you about the card."

"Oh."

"So, what did she say?"

Tammy repeated the conversation, emphasising that she didn't want Leanne punished.

"She needs to be given a warning though and made certain she understands there are limits. I'll also have to tell your father."

"I guess so Mum, she's only eighteen herself. She would struggle to get another job if we let her go and she is a very good maid."

"I know that Tammy, we couldn't run this house without her."

"I'm frightened she'll do something stupid, but I don't want to go over to her flat without protection."

"I'll ask Julie to speak to her."

"Thanks."

"Anyway, I'm heading into town now, do you want a lift?"

"Please."

***

Tammy found Emily and Sarah in the shop after buzzing to enter through the delivery door. They were currently stood in the middle of the now finished shop, all that was missing were customers; the whitewash on the windows had been replaced with blinds that hid the displays from curious eyes. There were now two cashier positions, which would help during busier times. Security had also been improved although Tammy admitted she had no idea what to do with a shoplifter.

"Don't try to detain them, just ask to check the receipt against any items in their bags. If they run, let them but the cameras will have recorded their face. The main thing is to dissuade them from stealing in the first place by watching the shop and walking around if you're not needed at the till."

"I do that already."

"I know you do, anyway it's a strategy that works."

There was a ding from the delivery doorbell, Sarah was in the storeroom so opened the door.

"Hello Angela, come in."

Tammy had gone to see who it was, finding Angela on the point of tears.

"What is it, oh, Josie?"

Angela nodded whilst searching her bag for a tissue, although Sarah was trying to hand her one. Now the flood started, Tammy moved forward to give her sister a protective hug.

"Come on sis, let it out."

"Sister?" Emily was confused, but no-one heard her comment.

"Angela, if it wasn't meant to be then don't worry, move on and see what happens."

"It's not that, I'm frightened that I might love her."

Emily, with greater experience, took over.

"I don't think I've met this girl, but don't rush into anything Angela, let things develop. I've had some crushes that were just that, one time dates that seemed wonderful but never went any further for some reason. At least you can't get pregnant."

She held her hand to her mouth.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, I didn't mean it that way."

Sarah looked at Emily and dismissed her into the shop.

"My apologies Angela, Emily was out of order."

"It's true though." She spoke through her sobs. "I can't give a boy what he wants and I can't manage a girl either."

Tammy hugged tighter but signalled "phone mum" to Sarah, pointing at her own bag.

"Code?" The phone was locked.

"82669 - Tammy."

Sarah unlocked it and quickly found the entry for Joan, walking away to make the call. It only seemed two minutes before Joan was at the delivery door, tapping gently so as not to alarm her daughter.

"Come on dear, let's go home."

***

Tammy declined to leave at the same time, figuring that a mother/daughter chat was best done without interference so helped tidy for a moment until they were satisfied with the display. She checked the time, it was nearly one.

"I arranged to meet Tanya for lunch, got to go."

"Okay, just let me know how Angela is? Better still, can I have Joan's number?"

Tammy read it out. "Tammy, you said sister earlier?"

"Yes Emily, we've all moved into one house and my father has proposed to Angela's mother, so we'll be sisters and I've got a new mum."

"That sounds like good news."

"It is, but I shouldn't make comparisons."

"Have you seen your real mum?"

"She was up here two weekends ago, just before the inquest. She still has problems accepting me but that's nothing compared to her legal issues. She might have a drink problem too."

"That's sad."

"I know, look I should go. We'll catch up another time."

"Okay, bye."

Tammy walked out the rear door and around to the street at the front of the store. She hadn't gone far when whe saw Josie sat on a bench, staring into space, Tanya was coming from a different direction and they arrived at the same time.

"What's up?" Tanya was obviously out of the loop.

"I'm hopeless."

"Who, what?"

"Angela."

"Oh."

Tammy sat next to the girl. "We've sent Angela home with her mum, what happened?"

"It was lovely at first, we met and we walked and we talked and talked. She held my hand so gently and she has lovely eyes, but when I went to kiss her she froze."

"Do you know why?"

"No, then she said she couldn't do it and ran away."

"Is that all?"

"Yes, we'd been talking for about an hour; she told me loads. I told her some stuff too that I've never told anyone before."

"Was she uncomfortable with that, not that I expect you to tell me?"

"She didn't seem affected, it was only when I went to kiss her that she reacted."

"We're going for lunch, do you want to join us?"

"No, I phoned my mum and she's coming to collect me."

"Okay, but be careful. Are you free tomorrow still?"

"Is Angela going to be there?"

"I presume so but she's not doing any of the theatrics as her singing is awful - I didn't tell you that, right?"

"What do I need to do?"

"Be at the library at nine thirty like I said, we'll get you into one of the supporting cast costumes and just join in, do you know the songs?"

"Yes, I watched the film a couple of days ago."

"Great."

"I'm still not sure though."

"Leave Angela to me, please don't worry about it."

"Okay."

Tammy could see Josie's mum approaching, she waved and moved on, taking a bemused Tanya.

"I can see it now, 'Tammy Smart - Relationship Counsellor' !"

"Thanks, but I have other plans for my life. That reminds me, I'll be away for much of the summer on work experience."

"Who with and where?"

"Cornwall and London and I can't say."

"Can't say? Why, in case I want to do it too?"

"No, I just can't say and please don't ask."

"Oooh, secret agent stuff, Tamara Bond!"

Tammy blushed.

"I'm right aren't I?" Tanya seemed quite pleased with herself.

"This lunch is over, I've said too much."

"You haven't said anything yet."

"You're still the biggest gossip I know! Even if you can't get it out of me you'll still tell everyone something."

"I won't, I am not a gossip!" They'd reached the door of the hotel and Tanya was almost shouting, attracting attention.

"Calm down Tanya."

"I won't be insulted."

"Good grief, I apologise, but please calm down."

"I'm going to shout out that you're really a spy, try to stop me."

The hotel door opened behind her.

"Miss Smith, everyone can hear you in there and you're making a spectacle of yourself."

"Who are you?"

"Detective Constable Franklin, you know my wife."

"Sandy?"

"Yes, now calm down as Tammy asked and stop trying to make accusations that you can't substantiate."

"But, she ...."

"If she's sensible then she's said nothing at all, have you?"

"No."

"Good, I'd hate for your clearance to be cancelled because of one mouthy girl." He stared at Tanya.

"You know about that?"

"Yes, but that's all I'll say. Now, would the pair of you like to join our table for lunch, I presume you were coming in here?"

"That would be lovely, thank you Ben. Tanya, go to the loo and sort your face out!"

"Yes, Miss 007!" She whispered.

up
419 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

poor Angela

But I sure once she bites the apple there will be no stopping her after her repressed existance in the former Small houshold. Be interesting to see "who gets it on first" will it be Angela or will our girl Tammy become the dominatrix employer to the maid Leanne!(sorry its just my disgusting mind, giggle) thanks for the rapid re posting Shiraz

Detective Constable Franklin

Detective Constable Franklin is very correct that Tayna's outburst could cause Tammy loads and loads of trouble and it could also cost her not only her clearance, but her chance at any positions with the Agency later.

Tammy Needs A Cover Story

joannebarbarella's picture

The "Agency" should have thought of that already. Maybe she's auditioning to be the star of a remake of West Side Story and it's all very hush-hush.....or something equally ludicrous!

Tanya

is not being a good friend. Wonder if she will realize that later?

Not a joke

Jamie Lee's picture

The matchmaker is herself being sought, and the seeker has revealed herself. Leanne. And she's a mess, worried she'll lose her position, willing to leave her position. Tammy, though, doesn't want her to leave, doesn't want either of them hurt. Or have her punished. Tammy has a kind heart but Joan is sort of right. Even Leanne is employed with the household, she and Tammy are legal age and can enter into a relationship if they desire. As long as it doesn't affect her work.

Boy, John's in a pickle. He got caught practicing bedroom gymnastics with Tanya and is now afraid of Sandy. Maybe the three need to sit down and clear the air, with Sandy explaining why she was upset. Why they should wait or be extremely careful. Right now, they have plans for future schooling, and have no way to support themselves should a child come along.

Oh Angela, seeking out her loving sister because of an experience which has her really confused. She isn't the only one confused, as her reaction has Josie asking questions.

After everything Tanya knows Tammy experienced, she should understand by now security is no joking matter. Not something to ask questions about, and certainly not something you threaten to expose. She could find herself arrested, and as Ben said, have clearances cancelled. Ben needs to take Tanya aside and impress upon her what could happen to her and others should she continue to talk about the subject to others. Even mentioning the chance of someone being killed.

Others have feelings too.