Tamara's Trials - Chapter 30 "Just a kiss?"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Thirty

 

"Just a kiss?"

 

 
Sunday 15th February
 

"Did you enjoy the party?"

"It was okay."

"Angela, it was a Valentines Ball, it had to be better than just 'okay'."

"I hardly knew anyone there, Tammy."

"I bet you could put names to at least a dozen, not bad considering you never used to leave the school grounds on your own and didn't have anything to do with girls your age before the end of last year."

"That's cruel."

"Last night proves Angela is very different to Tim."

"I suppose so."

"Did you get any kisses?"

Angela blushed and looked as if she was about to run away.

"Okay, I don't want names - yet - but did they make you feel good?"

"Yes."

"Did you get any phone numbers?"

"One."

"Did you give your number out?"

"No, mum warned me not to."

"So, who was he?"

"Not a he, Josie's after me."

"Oh, I though she already had your number?"

"I don't give it out, but Tanya has it now."

"So I bet you don't get many calls or texts. Anyway, what's the score with Josie?"

"I don't know, I mean does she know I'm transgendered?"

"Yes, she worked it out when she visited the school."

"So does she want the not-quite-a-girl or the used-to-be-a-boy Angela?" She started to cry and sat on Tammy's bed, looking for a tissue. Tammy handed her a box from her dresser.

"Ask her, that's all you can do."

"You mean phone her?"

"Yes, you don't put this on facebook unless you want everyone else's opinion too."

"I don't know."

"Was she drinking last night?"

"I think so, one of the older girls was going to the bar for her."

"So it's possible the alcohol was talking?"

"So no-one's attracted to me unless they're pissed?"

"I didn't say that. Look, she could be at home feeling awful right now and doesn't know how to speak to you privately. Call her."

"I'll think about it."

"What about the cards you got at school?"

"They were all a joke."

"Like who?"

"That Damien, he's a prize joker."

"I had one from him too."

"Maybe it was infatuation with you?"

***

Sarah had rung Tammy the evening to ask for some help on Sunday morning. Just after nine she'd picked Tammy up although she was prewarned not to wear anything she couldn't afford to get filthy. Angela had declined the invitation to work, citing 'personal stuff'.

The first task was to box up the stock, which Tammy started, whilst Sarah started to smear the windows, obstructing the view. It took until their first coffee break until the clothes were packed away.

"Do you know what we should leave until last?"

"No?"

"The kettle! Now, where's the screwdriver?"

"Screwdriver?"

"Yes, to take the racking down, I need some of it next door. The shelves unclip, as do the supports, but the backing needs to be unscrewed from the wall."

"Okay, I think."

"Tell you what, you remove the shelves and the supports, I'll do the rest."

"Thanks."

It didn't take long for the first wall to be cleared, revealing a mess of fabric fibres and general dust that had been undisturbed for several years.

"I see what you meant!"

By lunchtime the former shop was almost bare, but the store-room was now filled. They'd swept up the mess as they went along and finished up vacuuming the floor.

"Well done, we've been going nearly four hours and I'm mindful that you aren't one hundred percent yet, so we'll finish now. Tomorrow, if you're free, I want to move all the stock next door and start setting up the new racking."

"Okay, I don't think I have anything scheduled yet. What's the plan now?"

"Lunch!"

That meant a walk to the Castletown Hotel, Tammy's phone rang.

"Yes, Angela?"

"She wants to meet up."

"When?"

"Wednesday morning, by the harbour."

"Okay, how do you feel about it?"

"I'm frightened."

"First date?"

"Yes."

"Talk to your mum if you're not sure."

"What, tell her that I might be a lesbian?"

"It's not as if you've got horns and a tail!"

That made Angela laugh.

"Okay, okay. Speak later, bye."

"Bye."

They'd arrived at the hotel doorway so Sarah held off asking any questions. The place was busy and loud, any kind of private conversation was killed off and by the time Sarah dropped Tammy off at Dunbankin she'd forgotten about Tammy's phone conversation.

"Emily's going to be with me for a few days to give me a hand."

"That's great, I'd love to catch up with her, when does she arrive?"

"Tomorrow lunchtime."

"I'll try to get a lift into town before nine."

"I'll pick you up at half past eight."

"Okay."

Tammy let herself into the house and first went to her room to shower, she was certain she had a cobweb in her hair. Hair? Had she booked to see Sandy before Thursday? Tammy couldn't remember, so quickly sent Tanya a text asking her.

With John, busy, remind me later

Great, that probably meant John would stay the night at Sandy's too so Tanya was not to be relied upon. She didn't have Sandy's mobile or the house number, damn. She should have made a note at the time.

Given that it was mid afternoon on a Sunday she decided not to worry about dressing so had climbed into a onesie. There was a knock on her door.

"Hello Dad."

"Hi Petal. Just to let you know we're eating over at the house this evening and Mark has been invited, he might even be staying the night judging by Elsie's comments."

"Oh well, I'll find something to wear after all."

"Good girl."

***

The evening went well, especially as Angela and Tammy knew Mark, Michael McPherson's boyfriend, but Mark was being inspected by Elsie so was quite restrained. It was no surprise, however, when the adults decided at eight thirty to call it a night. This was, judging by the silent conversations, to allow Elsie some time with just the two boys now that tongues had been loosened by a glass or two of wine.

Tammy hadn't partaken so was elected to drive one of the golf carts back to Dunbankin and hook it up to the charging point before heading straight to bed, exhausted.

 
Tuesday 17th February
 

"Hello Tammy, how are you feeling?"

She was back in the Doctor's surgery.

"Fine Adi, well not quite back to normal but can you define 'normal'?"

"In medical terms, not often. How's your energy?"

"Better but I still feel tired after doing a few hours work."

"Did you go to the Valentines party at the weekend?"

"No, I was shattered after the rehearsal and an hour or so with Sarah."

"What about yesterday?"

"I spent some time at the shop, but Sarah's daughter Emily arrived yesterday afternoon so is helping her mum today."

"So you're not feeling guilty about not being there?"

"No."

"That's good, guilt is a strong motivator that could interfere with your recovery."

"I guess so."

"Now, your last blood results were better but you still have some way to go. You were due to finish your antibiotics on Friday but I'm extending them a week."

"Okay."

"However, I believe you'll be fit for school on Monday so I'm not extending your certificate."

"I can't afford to miss any more school."

"No you can't, but I would sign you off if you weren't fit to be there, understood?"

"Yes, Adi."

"Right, let's have your arm."

***

Tammy walked to the pharmacy with her new prescription, the address having been changed to Dunbankin, and waited for it to be made up. There appeared to be just the pharmacist present.

"Here you go Miss, isn't that address Janet Doherty's place."

"The Dohertys retired and moved South a few weeks ago, we have the house now."

"Ah, I would have thought you'd change the name?"

"Too much hassle retraining all the postmen, taxi drivers and anyone else who delivers, plus my father's a retired banker himself."

"Will you be following him into banking, lassie? Job equality and all that?"

"I don't know, other avenues could open up when I've finished my degree, which I haven't started yet."

"Well, good luck to you, whatever you do."

He handed over the package.

"Don't I have to pay?"

"Not if you're still at school, you are aren't you?"

"Yes, St Andrews."

"Oh."

"Is there a problem?"

"No, but I thought the school didn't use this pharmacy any more."

"Not that I've been told but I wasn't at school for most of the last two weeks before the break, in any case it's my decision as I'm over eighteen and I don't live in the school."

"Fair enough."

"I did pay for a prescription a couple of weeks ago, the lad who was here didn't query it."

"There were many things he didn't query, he'll not be back here."

"Okay, until next time."

"Indeed."

Tammy walked towards Sarah's shop. She'd spent time there the previous day but Emily's train had been delayed so apart from a quick 'hello' there was no time for anything.

She went to the delivery door and was nearly knocked over by a man carrying crates from a delivery van.

"Mind where you're going Miss."

"I should say the same! Is Sarah here?"

"No, but her lass is."

"Good."

Tammy stepped inside and navigated through the chaos of the store-room and onto the shop floor. Since the previous lunchtime the lighting had been changed and the effect was incredible.

"Tammy!"

"Hi Emily."

"Are you here to work?"

"I'm not supposed to, but a little work won't do any harm."

"Actually, while mum's at the bank I ought to take a break."

Tammy knew where the kettle was hidden so started heating some water.

Of course Emily wanted to know what Thursday's plans were but that meant Tammy making several calls to confirm who was taking part. She also phoned the Thurso Echo to confirm a photographer would be available.

"I'm sorry, you should have booked it with us weeks ago."

"Well, it'll be the biggest story in Thurso this week."

"I'm sorry but at the moment the Women's Guild cake competition is taking precedence."

"Oh dear, at least it'll be on the BBC local news."

"You couldn't arrange that young lady!"

"It would seem that you don't know me. My motto is 'Non me menores aestimo'."

"I don't speak German."

Tammy hung up, seeing as her father and Elsie were major shareholders in the newspaper group that owned the Echo, the reporter could be moved or re-educated. Tammy just preferred to do things her own way. Don't they teach Latin in other schools?

She rang Thurso Police Station and asked for Chief Inspector Iain Brown.

"Hello Tammy."

"Hi Iain, has Sandy told you about the little publicity stunt on Thursday at Sarah Bonney's new shop?"

"Yes, you won't need crowd control, will you?"

"Unlikely, but could you have a word with the media for me?"

***

Her last task was to go along to Sandy's hair salon, to find if she had an appointment.

"There's nothing in the book, Tammy."

"How early can you see me on Thursday?"

"We're here from nine, what time does the shop open?"

"Ten thirty, but I need to be in costume soon after ten."

"Where are you changing?"

"The library."

"So, best see you at nine."

"Thanks Sandy, I did tell your daughter I needed to speak to you."

"She's hopeless at the moment. John stayed at our house on Sunday but I sent him back to the school on Monday morning, for not paying heed to the rules."

"Which rule?"

"The one that says I don't want to be a grandmother yet!"

up
426 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Consideration

shiraz's picture

Just before I finish editing the final draft I always ask, is there a line that Dorothy would love? If not, write one!
Hugs,
shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Thank you Dorothy and Shiraz

WillowD's picture

I've been quite enjoying these last line zingers mixed in with the cliff hangers. "Miss Shiraz. You write good story." (A rewrite of the Mr. Christie Cookie ad tag line.)

The last line just calls for

The last line just calls for an OH, MY!!! :) Janice Lynn

Thank you Shiraz,

Yes,that has to be one of the best last lines ever :) Thanks for the giggle!

ALISON

cringing Angela!

Man up sissy pants, Angela. Go for it whether its Josie or one of the Valentine kissers,, live the dream, wish I could, giggle

How Do You Do That?

joannebarbarella's picture

(Bats eyelashes innocently). Get to be a grandmother then.

Revision

shiraz's picture

This chapter has been revised to remove an error, Emily is still at college and is not going to work anywhere! Apart from those references, it is otherwise almost untouched.

shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Oh, yeah

I remember now. I thought the job news with Emily was odd as I thought she was still in school, but let it go as I assumed I'd misremembered.

As if

most children are not planned, IMO. You just hope the young folk take the right precautions and have no unexpected blowouts.

Building up steam

Jamie Lee's picture

That Tammy is feeling better is good, and she is starting to take "me" time. Not jumping in and going full speed ahead to help others.

Very often siblings are on each others' case and become tormentors to each other. Tammy and Angela seem to be getting along better than many siblings. Angela looks to Tammy for support when needed, Tammy gives it. However, sometimes it's as though Tammy is a bit annoyed helping Angela through a problem. The tension is there, the thought that Angela's problem isn't really a problem Tammy needs to solve.

Getting a new business up and running can be time consuming and a headache. Moving a business to a new location will not have the same headaches, but they are there and can be just as time consuming. With two helpers, moving into the new building took less time had Sarah done the work alone.

When Tammy tries to line up people from a business she, Elsie, and Richard own stock in, maybe she should identify herself when lining up the work.

Others have feelings too.