Rules Are Rules: 21. Laying Down The Law

Printer-friendly version

"You certainly owe me and your mother an apology," he said. "If you wanted to do this, you should have called and told us before you did it."

"Would you have said yes?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "I wouldn't."
 

Rules Are Rules

by Kaleigh Way


 

21. Laying Down The Law

 

"My parents!? Oh my God! Oh my God!"

"Calm down, Marcie. They already know."

"They know?" I squeaked in a frightened whisper.

"Yes, I told them on Saturday, while you were out with Alice."

I gulped.

"And I sent them those pictures of you."

I didn't know what to say or do. I looked around, lost. I opened and closed my mouth but didn't say a word.

Aunt Jane spoke softly. "Look, hon. How long do you think I could go without telling them? If I hadn't, they could have called the school for any number of reasons, and your secret would be over. Plus, they have some liability for what you do... if there were any problems or trouble, they would get called on the carpet."

"How could they get in trouble if they didn't know?"

"It doesn't matter if they know. They're your parents; society expects them to know. If something happened and they didn't know, it would make them look like bad parents. It would be much worse for them.

"Your parents and I have been talking about this several times a day for the past week — well, since Saturday anyway."

"And what do they say? Are they going to make me stop?"

"No, I don't think so. Yesterday your father kind of worked things out. Your mother is a little... well, she's having a harder time. You'll see."

I was so nervous, I was shaking.

"Calm down," she repeated. "They're your parents. You're their only child, their baby. They're not going to kill you." She glanced over my shoulder. "Speak of the devil! Here they are!"

She stood up and kept hold of one of my hands. I think she was afraid I might cut and run. The waiter came over at the same time as my parents, so he was kind of in the way as Jane gave each of my parents a hug and a kiss. Then Jane stepped aside to present me.

"Holy–" my father said, trying to hide his shock. He blinked a few times, then recovered, saying "Come give your father a hug, Mar–cie."

I gave him a frightened little squeeze. He gave me a smile that was meant to be reassuring, than stepped aside so my mother could see me. The waiter was standing next to her, in the perfect spot to witness my mother's jaw drop and her face go white. I'm sure he had an equally good view of the anxiety on my face.

Dad frowned as the waiter gaped, glancing back and forth between the Mom and me. He cleared his throat, but the waiter didn't take the hint. So Dad said, "We haven't seen each other for a long time. Could you give us ten minutes?" The waiter didn't seem to hear — he stood stock-still with his mouth open. "How about five minutes?" my father asked. No response. "A little privacy?"

My mother held out her hand to me, but suddenly her eyes closed and her knees buckled. My father must have seen it coming, because he caught her, held her up, and gently lowered her into a chair at our table. He sat down next to her and talked in a quiet voice as he held her hand. My aunt sat on my mother's right and took her pulse.

"Is she okay?" I asked.

"She fainted," my dad replied. "She'll be fine in a few moments." He drew a breath and looked around, only to see the waiter at his elbow. "Are you still here?" he asked. "Okay, how about this? Bring two light beers and a cosmo for the adults, and a diet coke for the young lady."

The waiter continued to gape stupidly, so my dad said, "Now!" in an icy, low voice. At that, the waiter finally snapped out of it and left.

"Thought I'd never get rid of him," he growled. I began to sit down, but my father barked, "Don't sit opposite your mother. We don't want her fainting all night long. Stand by me until she comes to, and then you can sit here, between me and her. Okay?"

"What happened?" my mother asked in a weak, breathy voice.

"You fainted," Dad told her. "Are you alright now?"

She nodded, so Dad stood. He took me by the shoulders and pressed me into the chair next to Mom, and then sat himself on the other side of me. My mother smiled and took my hand.

"Sorry," she said. "But even after seeing the photos, it's still quite a shock." She carressed my hand and studied my face. "Maybe it would be easier if you looked like someone from my side of the family. Art, who does your daughter look like?"

"Uh," he said, looking at me with a frown, "I don't know — one of my cousins, I guess."

"Marcie looks like a Graylen," Jane put in. "In fact, we have a cousin Marcie who is supposed to be very similar to this young lady here."

"'Supposed to be'?" my father echoed.

My aunt prompted me to tell the story of how it all began. I didn't do a very good job of it at first, partly because I got a bit mixed up between the edited version that we'd invented and what really happened. Plus, I didn't want to mention Jerry. On top of all that, it was my parents I was talking to — I was pretty nervous about how it would all turn out.

Still, they were a good audience.

They asked about my friends, so I mentioned Carla and Eden, and spoke of Nina as a girl that I'd babysat. I talked and talked, telling them about Ms. Tandy, the baby simulator, the hospital, and the Little Train. The three adults were pretty quiet, listening, sometimes asking questions.

"And all these things happened in the past week?" my mother asked. I nodded.

The waiter handed us dessert menus and left. I realized then that I'd monopolized the conversation. "So how are things in New Jersey?" I asked.

"Much quieter than they are out here," my father said drily. "My job is good, I like the people. I told you that. We haven't found a house yet, and that's a little discouraging. But you knew that, too. Why don't we stick to the subject? But first, let's have a look at the desserts. Why didn't that waiter bring a dessert cart?"

As if on cue, the waiter came, wheeling a cart full of amazing treats. He described each one, and it was very hard to choose. To be fair, after his initial cluelessness, the waiter turned out to be very quick and helpful. We each chose a different dessert, and passed them around the table for everyone to taste. Then my father said, "Okay, back to the subject at hand: is there anything else you need to tell us about what you're doing that we don't know?"

"Um, no?" I said. I didn't want to mention Jerry.

"You certainly owe me and your mother an apology," he said. "If you wanted to do this, you should have called and told us before you did it."

"Would you have said yes?" I asked.

"No," he replied. "I wouldn't. I hope you can understand the position you've put me and your mother in here. Suppose one of the girls' parents found out that a boy was in her gym class, watching her get changed each day in the locker room? Do you think they could sue us and the school for letting it happen?"

"I don't know," I said in a small voice.

"I didn't either," my father said, "So I spoke to a lawyer about that and some other related issues."

"What did he say?"

"We'll come to that. The point is, you can't do this behind our backs."

"Sorry," I said. "You're not going to make stop, are you?"

My father and mother looked at each other for a few moments, then my mother asked, "You really want to do this?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I want to see what it's like to be a girl for a while."

"And what do you think so far?"

"I like it."

My father asked, "And what will you do when you start school in New Jersey? Cut your hair short, leave the skirts behind, go back to being a boy?"

"Yes."

He shook his head. "I don't believe it. I don't think you can. Look at yourself. You clearly enjoy what you're doing. Your aunt's kept us pretty up-to-date on your activities. It's like you've turned into a different person."

"Are you going to tell the school?" I asked.

"By rights, we should," my father replied. "But... well, what the lawyer said was–" then he hesitated. "I think I'll keep that to myself for the moment."

He was silent, thinking about how much he wanted to tell me. Then, finally: "No, we won't tell your school — for now. But you have to keep your nose clean. Squeaky clean! If you get in the least bit of trouble, I'll jerk you out of that school so fast, it'll make your head spin, and you'll find yourself in New Jersey, where we can keep a close eye on you. I've even considered military high school. There's a good one not far from where I work. I'm going to send you the brochure, so you know where you could end up."

"What!?" I cried.

"And, if you're going to continue to do this, and if you don't want us to tell your school, there's a condition: you have to get counseling."

"Counseling?" I echoed. "There's nothing wrong with me!"

"I didn't use the word 'wrong'," he pointed out. "But answer me this: how many other boys in your school come to school in a dress?"

I looked down. "None."

"How many pretend to be a girl?"

I hung my head. "None."

"Do you have an afterschool club, where you can share your experiences?"

"No," I admitted.

"It would be useful for you to have a little help," he concluded. "And that is what a counselor will give you."

"I don't need help," I protested. "This is just an experiment."

"Hang on, Art," my mother said. "Let me try a different tack. Marcie, listen to me. You look very nice tonight, do you know that?"

"Thanks," I replied, smiling shyly.

"Did you choose that dress? Did you go out and buy it yourself?"

"No," I admitted.

"Did you find a stylist and tell her that you wanted that cute hair cut? Did you choose the hair color?"

"No."

"And your makeup — did you do that?"

"No."

"Someone helped you with all those things, didn't they?"

My father cut in. "Let me try a different tack. If you don't go to a counselor once a week, and follow his recommendations, you will not continue with your 'experiment'. That's final. I've already made an appointment for tomorrow morning at 10:30. Your mother and I will come and pick you up at school, and while we're there we'll stop in and say hello to your principal. What do you think about that?"

"It sounds fine?" I replied.

"That's my girl," he said dryly.

© 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
194 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I, for one, whould have liked to be ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... a fly on the wall when the 'rents talked to Auntie. After all, being a girl after Mark absolutely had to was her doing, as well as the initial idea to stay a girl for the semester. If I remember correctly, Mark's initial reaction was, "Take me to get a haircut and go to school with me tomorrow [with him as a boy] to sort all this out."

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

The aunt was only teasing

In the beginning, Jane *never* thought any of this would happen.
She fully expected Mark to go to school ever after as a boy,
but she found the situation an irresistible way to tease him.

Remember, when he decided he wanted to stay Marcie,
the aunt got angry.

Questionable answers

"But answer me this: how many other boys in your school come to school in a dress?"
I looked down. "None."
"How many pretend to be a girl?"
I hung my head. "None."

And how is Marcie supposed to know that ? If she managed to convince everyone in school she's a girl, why couldn't someone else do the same without Marcie knowing about it ?

I wonder what military school is like. Almost every story I ever read, used it as a dumping spot for youth with "undesired" behaviour. If half the things I hear about it are true, it sounds like an excellent reason to get the child away from the parents on grounds of torture.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

not that bad for some people

I have a friend who went to military school for his entire highschool career and loved it. Begged his parents to get into it. And flourished in all the discipline and structure. He said some people fit right into the mold, and some people don't. Now, I would never have fit in or liked it, but that can be said of a lot of things. From our discussions it seemed that the people who did best were kids with plans to join the military, and those who just liked the rigid nature of the place. Some boys grow up liking dresses and makeup, some like to spit shine boots. Go figure. :)

JL

Dad is making assumptions

Marcie's father is making assumptions. He doesn't know anything about the transgendered world.

And the military-school threat might not be real. Maybe it's like the boogie man.

Or perhaps...

It's possible to interpret Art's words as actually being very sympathetic to the transgender cause.

There are "no other boys coming to school in dresses" because the school dress code doesn't require girls to wear dresses, so those students who know themselves to be boys despite their bits wouldn't be wearing them. There may be some students who know themselves to be girls despite their bits, and wear dresses to school because they had sympathetic parents who allowed them to be girls, but they're not boys.

So the only really insensitive question is the "How many pretend to be a girl?" It's unclear on what he's asking, if it's "How many of those boys in dresses pretend to be girls?" then it isn't a problem, since we've already explained that there are no other boys in dresses. But if it's "How many students pretend to be girls?" then it's insensitive, because there could be some of those students who know themselves to be boys despite their bits, but are forced by unsympathetic parents to pretend to be girls.

I'd like to see if there is a GSA club

TGSine --

I wonder if someone will put a flyer to announce the meeting of the GSA Club. (US Schools has after school clubs yearbook, newspaper, sports, political clubs, student government and GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance) or the GLT (Gay/Lesbian/Transgendered) club. I would like to see what would happen if Jeff and Marcie went into the club meeting. And found out that they are 3 other boys who are TG. :-).
Jeff went to the meeting to support gay kids - as one of his uncle is. (Of course, I should let Kayliegh work on it. I need to work on mine.)

TGSine --958

It's OK, I think I will live now.

Gwen Girl, you really know how to cause people to go for their heart meds. LOL My what a fabulous romp! This is great fun. Thank you.
Gwen Brown

Addictively Good!

Kayleigh you have certainly grabbed me with this series! you seem to come up with some new way to tease me with every chapter. This is good I'll reach a point where I won't be able to do without my daily fix! You are a top notch author in my book!
 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

rules are rules

cool. she is going to a counselor and i assum she could be officially diagnosed with gender dysphoria or something.
i wonder if she could go on hormones soon.
i also wonder what the lawyer said.

a counselor is a good idea

especially if she decides to stay a girl after the semester

DogSig.png

Only slightly flaky

Podracer's picture

Mischievous, playful maybe, but Jane can't be completely as Mark thinks if she can make her way as a qualified nurse. Perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised that she did the responsible thing here.

"Reach for the sun."