Among the Val Kyr part 39

Printer-friendly version

--------------------

I was on my knees, kneeling in a pool of blood, much but not all of it was my own. I had numerous gashes, gouges, and bruises all over my body, though my worst injury at the moment was undoubtedly my shoulder, which had been both crushed and torn apart by Estrid’s clawed grip. I’d already been given an infusion of jatta in order to help me heal faster, but that didn’t do much for the pain or the exhaustion that filled me.

“Are you all right?” Lindrell asked me gently…almost motherly…as she crouched down beside me.

“Just tired,” I responded, wanting to close my eyes and go to sleep.

When I’d healed Mr. Rosewald, I’d used up a lot of essence and jatta, and it had left me completely exhausted afterwards. This time, I’d used the essence and jatta fusion to utterly destroy Estrid’s head so I could kill her, though like before, it left me completely wiped out afterwards.

“At least it’s over,” I said as I slowly got back to my feet with Lindrell’s help.

I looked around the battlefield that was Val Halla, seeing that with Estrid dead, all the daemons had turned and tried running away. Since the daemons were no longer attacking in a swarm, the Val Kyr were chasing them down and finishing them off, doing so much more easily than when they’d been attacking. Some of the daemons were so desperate to escape and return to the safety of the mists that they were even leaping from the walls.

Then I noticed that someone had made it to the anchor and had used it to contact some of the Val Kyr who’d been left on Earth. A couple fresh triads arrived through the gate and immediately joined in on cleaning up the remaining daemons. I just wished we’d been able to get them earlier, when the extra help would have been even more useful.

“You did well,” Freya told me, shifting into Ionne mode for a moment as she put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. Then she gave me a faint smile and added, “I am quite proud of how you handled yourself.”

“As am I,” Lindrell stated.

“I’m just glad you’re all right,” Julie exclaimed, grabbing me in a hug and making me wince as she’d put pressure on my injuries. As soon as she realized that, she relaxed her grip, then gave me a quick kiss on my lips, promising, “We’ll pick this up again later…”

“I’m looking forward to it,” I said, starting to grin until I suddenly remembered something important. “Dad.”

“David,” Lindrell gasped, letting go of me and rushing to go check on him.

Dad was on the ground where I’d left him, still alive, but with his back and side torn open from Estrid’s claws. But as bad as he was right now, I had no doubts that if I hadn’t knocked him away when I did, then he would have taken a more direct swipe from her claws and would have died immediately.

“Dad,” I cried out as I hurried over to him.

“Lynn,” Dad gasped weakly, holding onto Lindrell’s hand. He looked into her eyes and smiled faintly, the look in his own eyes being more than enough to assure me that he still loved her.

“I’m here, David,” she told him quietly, obviously pained to see him like this. At the same time, I knew it wasn’t the first time she’d seem him badly injured because of a daemonite, and I couldn’t imagine it got any easier seeing it again.

Then Dad’s eyes went to me and I gulped before saying, “I killed her…”

“Good,” Dad responded, giving me a faint smile as well.

I gave Lindrell a worried look, then fearfully asked, “How bad…?”

“He may survive his injury,” Shannon said as she bent over and examined him. I could feel her reaching out with all her kaern senses. “But if so, it will be with a damaged spine.”

“No,” I gasped in horror. Dad had already been living with enough problems, so he certainly didn’t need to add more to them. And especially not something like that.

Julie took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, silently trying to offer what little comfort she could. My tears were starting to flow at seeing my dad like this, so I needed all the comfort I could get…though not as much as him. I just didn’t know what to do.

Lindrell stared at Dad with a worried look that turned to one of grim determination. “David,” she started, keeping her voice calm and steady. “I need you to listen closely… I can save you, but I need your permission…”

I stared at Lindrell, both surprised that she’d offer this to Dad after the way she’d been punished the last time…and delighted at the same time. However, Dad was obviously having a hard time focusing because I don’t think he understood what she was really asking.

“No,” Freya suddenly announced, coming towards us and stopping a few feet away, holding her spear against the ground as she looked at Lindrell and then my Dad. “You will not convert this man.”

Lindrell flashed Freya a look of anger while I just stared at my mentor in surprise, feeling hurt and betrayed by this refusal. Lindrell got to her feet, and for a moment, I thought she was going to attack Freya. Instead, she pleaded, “He’s my husband…Michelle’s father…”

“So your geis is broken,” Freya commented in a calm tone, though she didn’t sound surprised. Had she expected it would wear off on its own by now, or had she guessed that I was the one who’d removed it?

“He was injured while fighting alongside us…” Lindrell exclaimed in desperation. Then she grimaced and accused Freya, “This is because of what Estrid said…about him possibly being her descendant.”

“Lindrell,” I started awkwardly, knowing that she didn’t have all the information.

“His bloodline wasn’t listed in the genealogies,” Lindrell protested defiantly. “I thought he was from a lost bloodline…”

“His bloodline was never lost,” Freya responded, staring down at Dad with a sad and even worried expression that was more Ionne than Freya. “I have been watching this bloodline for centuries…for long before Estrid was born.”

Lindrell gasped in surprise at that. “What do you mean?”

“Your husband is not from a lost bloodline,” Freya repeated, raising her voice loud enough so that everyone nearby could hear. “He is from MY bloodline.”

There were gasps of surprise from nearly every Val Kyr within hearing distance. I just stared at Freya since she’d effectively just told everyone that Estrid was one of her descendants, and that was something she’d been trying to keep quiet. Then it suddenly dawned on me what that meant for me. Freya was MY ancestor.

“Yes,” Freya said grimly. “To my eternal shame, Estrid was one of my descendants…” Then she slowly looked around at all the Val Kyr, including the ones who were starting to come over and gather around to see what was going on. “But as Michelle has well proven, Estrid’s treachery has not tainted the bloodline.” Her eyes went down to my dad and she added, “And Michelle’s father has also proven this…”

“Then why stop me from saving him?” Lindrell demanded in confusion.

Lindrell looked as though she was about to say more, but Freya put up her hand and she went silent. “David Sorensen,” Freya said, speaking directly to my dad for the first time. “I am Freya…leader of the Val Kyr. You came to Val Halla to aid us in our time of need…fought with valor and skill against our ancient enemy…and have been injured grievously for doing so.” She paused at that, then in a slightly louder voice, she announced, “You have demonstrated not only great courage and fortitude…virtues that we Val Kyr value greatly…but you have also shown yourself able to adapt to a world you never before knew.”

I stared at Freya as she said this, though it was Lindrell who asked, “Freya, are you saying what I think…?”

Freya didn’t react to Lindrell’s question, and instead, continued focusing entirely on my dad. “David Sorensen,” she announced in a formal tone, “Father of Val Kyr Michelle and child of my own blood, you have proven yourself worthy of the greatest honor the Val Kyr can bestow. Will you join the Val Kyr and become one of our sisters?”

Many of the Val Kyr surrounding us gasped again at that, which was no surprise. Freya herself was the one who’d forbidden the recruitment of converts, and now she herself was trying to recruit one.

“Join you…?” Dad repeated in surprise, his voice weak and raspy. “Like Michelle…?” He looked to me, his eyes going wide in realization of what Freya was offering him.

“Indeed,” Freya responded. “Will you sacrifice your manhood and old life to join us, taking up arms against our daemon enemies and protecting the world from their evil? Will you dedicate your life to this purpose?”

Dad was silent for several very long seconds, merely staring at me and then Lindrell. Then in a quiet voice, he finally answered, “To fight those things…yes.” Though his voice was weak, there was a fierce determination in his eyes.

With those words, Freya smiled faintly, then bent down beside Dad and reached out to touch his chest. As soon a she put her hand on him, she pushed out with a small amount of val. I had my senses stretched out and saw the tiny amount of val inside of him suddenly flare to life in response, then begin to spread. The process had begun.

Suddenly, a voice cried out, “NO!”

Freya instantly shifted position, just a moment before an arrow struck her in the shoulder from behind. The arrow barely penetrated her armor, but I was stunned by this surprise attack, and by the fact that if Freya hadn’t moved when she had, the arrow would have missed her entirely. Instead, it would have hit my dad in the chest…right in his heart.

I snapped around, shocked to see Ailsa, Freya’s kaern general, standing back with another arrow already notched. She had an expression of cold fury on her face as she fired a second arrow, this one aimed directly at Freya’s head. However, Shannon was already in motion, swinging her sword and striking the arrow in mid-flight.

“TRAITOR!” Ailsa yelled out furiously, pointing at Freya in accusation.

Sharra, who was still clearly injured from the battle, suddenly had her spear tip at Ailsa’s throat. Her voice was steady and hard as she demanded of Ailsa, “What have you done?”

“She allowed Estrid to be created,” Ailsa exclaimed, still pointing at Freya, who stood there with a grim look on her face. “Estrid was of her blood… Our Freya betrayed the Val Kyr because Estrid was her descendant…and now she does so again.” Ailsa pointed to my dad and yelled, “Even now, she creates a new Estrid…” Then she glared at me with an expression of hatred. “She creates TWO new threats to the future of Val Halla…”

“Your betrayal is disappointing,” Freya said in response, her face and voice carefully controlled though some of the emotion still managed to slip though. “Though not fully unexpected.”

“It is YOU who betray Val Halla,” Ailsa accused, looking as though she would have attacked Freya again if it wasn’t for the spear tip at her throat, or the fact that several other Val Kyr had also drawn their weapons. However, several of those Val Kyr were watching Freya warily, obviously listening to her accuser’s words. “This is no surprise. You atra have always been tainted…as are all converts.”

There were further mutterings from among the Val Kyr as everyone heard what Ailsa said. Freya scowled, and I had a feeling that she was exerting almost inhuman self-control at the moment to only reveal that much, because I could tell she was pissed.

“I am atra,” Freya stated simply, keeping her voice calm and steady. There was no doubt that everyone gathered around could hear her clearly, in spite of the fighting that was still occurring in the background. “I am atra,” she repeated, “as were the three Freya before me. At one time, we of the center were a greatly valued part of the Val Kyr, adapting to serve in whatever role was most needed. And as we are of all pillars yet none…it was decided long ago, by the second Freya, the daughter of the goddess herself, that we were also the best choice to serve as her successors…to serve all pillars of the Val Kyr without favoring any one.”

Freya paused at that and slowly looked around, her expression the calm and regal one I’d always associated with her Freya side. Again, there were more mutterings from the Val Kyr at the revelation that the four of the six women who’d served as Freya had been atra, which was a surprise since some of these women had never even heard of atra until I’d become one. I stared at Freya, surprised by this latest revelation as well.

“The existence and role of the atra had been largely forgotten among us,” Freya continued in her steady voice, her eyes going to me. “Until recently. Only the eldest of us remember the reasons why there have always been so few atra, and understand why we have gone three centuries without a new one being created.” She paused to once again look around with a steady and forceful gaze. “Atra can only be born from the process of conversion.” There were even more gasps as the Val Kyr realized what she was saying. “I too am a convert, though I have been a woman for so long I no longer even remember what it was like to be male.”

At this point, nearly all the Val Kyr were staring at Freya in stunned disbelief. All of her secrets were now coming out, and I could see that some of the women present were having a hard time accepting them. There were also looks towards Ailsa, some of them suggesting that the kaern general might have allies.

“The Val Kyr have existed for thousands of years,” Freya announced, her expression daring anyone to interrupt or challenge her. “And during this time, converts have always been a valued and necessary part of our order…until the last seven centuries. As the number of converts has dwindled, so too has our strength. Without atra, our strongest triads are not as powerful as they once were.”

“She’s trying to trick you,” Ailsa exclaimed, glaring at Freya with a look of pure hatred. “These false women taint us and rot Val Halla from within… You all saw what Estrid’s actions have wrought today.”

Freya final started walking towards Ailsa, her expression grim. “For centuries, I suspected a viper was hidden amongst our number, though I could not be certain of her identity until now.”

Freya reached out for Ailsa, though the kaern general pulled back and would have fought if the tip of Sharra’s spear didn’t press up tightly against her throat. Several drops of blood came out, enough to make Ailsa hold still when Freya grabbed her. A moment later, I saw Freya combining essence and kaern energies, pushing them into Ailsa in a way I immediately recognized.

“I have placed a geis upon you,” Freya told Ailsa in a grim tone. “You will answer any questions I ask, as truthfully as you are able.” Ailsa just glared back at her without saying a word.

“Freya,” Ragnhild aside with a deep scowl. “Ailsa has been your friend for a thousand years. Is this necessary?”

“She tried to kill Freya,” Sharra pointed out in a cold tone. Ragnhild reluctantly nodded at that.

“Now then, old friend,” Freya said, staring intently into Ailsa’s eyes. “Have you ever attempted to murder another Val Kyr, before this?”

“Yes,” Ailsa answered, though she was clearly trying to fight the geis. But as I’d seen with Lindrell, fighting the compulsion was almost impossible. Then Ailsa quickly added, “But they were only converts…” There were gasps and looks of surprise from the surrounding Val Kyr.

Freya stared at Ailsa with a dark look, and for a moment, I saw a flash of intense sadness and betrayal behind her eyes, though it barely touched her face at all. “How many Val Kyr have you murdered? How many died because of your actions?”

Ailsa tried fighting back the answer again, but she couldn’t resist blurting out, “Seven. I’ve killed seven of those tainted converts myself…and I’ve arranged the deaths of five others.”

Ailsa looked pissed at being forced to confess her crimes, but not nearly as angry as some of the other Val Kyr. A minute earlier, some of those Val Kyr had obviously been sympathetic to her and her claims of converts being a corrupting influence, but she’d just admitted to killing twelve Val Kyr, and that had suddenly changed everything.

“You killed twelve of our sisters,” Gretchen snarled, drawing her sword, though she certainly wasn’t the only one who was readying her weapon.

“Freya,” I said, feeling more than a little stunned by the revelation that the head of the kaern pillar could commit such murders. Once Freya looked to me, I gulped and said, “When Estrid had me prisoner…she told me about the night she left Val Halla…”

“Continue,” Freya told me.

I nodded at that. “Estrid told me that two Val Kyr had attacked her…and had tried to murder her. She said that she killed them in self-defense, then ran off… At the time, I’d thought she was lying, but now…”

“What do you know of this?” Freya demanded of Ailsa.

“I sent my two most trusted to eliminate that filth…before she could betray us,” Ailsa responded with a sneer, no longer even trying to fight the compulsion. In fact, she almost seemed pleased to be able to brag about her deeds. “But when Estrid killed them instead, I took advantage of the opportunity to eliminate three of the other converts instead…”

“And you blamed their deaths on Estrid as well,” Shannon said in a cold tone, which reminded me that one of the women who’d died that night had been a friend of hers.

Julie leaned over and whispered in my ear, “And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for you meddling kids…”

I glared at Julie, who was only trying to deal with her own stress by joking around, but this wasn’t the time for it. I gulped, then half whispered, “So Estrid was telling the truth…”

“Who were the sisters you murdered?” Freya demanded, her voice cold and hard. “Name them…”

As Ailsa began listing the names, there were looks of shock and horror from those who knew the victims. There were also outbursts of rage, and I suddenly realized that Ailsa would be very lucky if she left this courtyard alive. Gretchen, Shannon, and several others had looks of deadly fury in their eyes, and they clearly wanted revenge for their murdered friends and relatives.

“Beatrice was of my bloodline,” Moraigh stated in a quiet but deadly tone.

“Molly was my niece,” Bethany added.

“I have long suspected such a threat from within,” Freya admitted, her voice still stead though now filled with a great sadness. “Converts had died on missions without proper witness or explanation. Others had vanished without a trace from within the walls of Val Halla itself.” Her attention settled firmly on Ailsa again as she added, “But I am gravely disappointed to find the threat was from one I once trusted…whom I had considered as a sister.”

“We may have been comrades, but you are no sister of mine,” Ailsa responded, giving Freya a look of defiance and contempt. “You are the cancer that infects Val Halla…that let this happen…” She gestured around the courtyard where the fierce battle had just been fought, then to Estrid’s body.

“Estrid was a broken woman,” Freya admitted, “but it seems your actions played a large role in driving her to this fate. It was your attempt on her life that drove her away from Val Halla and into the arms of the daemonites.”

“If you hate converts so much,” Sharra demanded, “then why not murder Freya as well?”

“Because I had no opportunity,” Ailsa spat out viciously. “If I had, I would have cleansed Val Halla of her presence long ago…” Then she glared at Freya with a look of hatred, explaining, “For seven centuries, I have watched in wait, seeking an opening to end your life without drawing suspicion... But always, you were on your guard or surrounded by those who would see. Always, you were within Val Halla, where the death of our Freya would not be ignored…”

“So, you truly would have murdered me as well,” Freya said in a flat tone. She stared into Ailsa’s eyes, then asked, “You had a plan in place, did you not?”

“Yes,” Ailsa admitted, her eyes darting too me. “When you allowed the new convert to remain, I saw an opportunity… My plan was to kill you, placing the blame on her…” Ailsa sneered as she proudly explained, “This would serve as a reminder of why we forbid recruiting converts…and ensure it never occurs again.”

“You are as mad as Estrid,” Ragnhild stated. She clenched her massive axe tightly, making it clear how much she wanted to use it at that moment.

That accusation just seemed to piss Ailsa off even more. “Estrid was a monster,” she snapped. “All that I have done was to protect our order from a threat that you were too blind to see.”

“You murdered Val Kyr,” Gretchen pointed out bitterly. “Just like Estrid.”

“I cleansed Val Halla of more traitors,” Ailsa exclaimed.

“Why?” Freya demanded. “What reason do you have for this hatred of converts? You did not always feel this way…”

“The coup,” Ailsa snarled again. “Seven centuries ago, the converts proved they could not be trusted when they attempted to seize control of Val Halla... They betrayed us, murdered true and loyal Val Kyr, yet you allowed those tainted traitors to remain…because you are one of them.”

I stared at Ailsa, having almost forgotten about that coup attempt, where a group of converts had tried and failed to take control of the Val Kyr. Everyone had been so focused on Estrid and what she’d done that they seemed to have forgotten about the coup, which was the event that had truly started the downfall of the converts.

“Six converts were behind the attempt,” Freya pointed out in a grim tone. “Each was a former knight or noble who believed that their former rank and titles meant that they were entitled to greater position and authority in Val Halla. These traitors conspired with daemonites and were slain for their betrayal, a betrayal the other converts had naught to do with.”

“THEY KILLED MY DAUGHTER,” Ailsa screamed at Freya, her eyes blazing with fury. “They murdered Ingi, and I swore over her body that I would make them pay…that I would drive every last one of you tainted false women from Val Halla…that I would cleanse our order of your treacherous kind…”

Freya just stared at Ailsa with a carefully controlled and unreadable expression. But in spite of that, I could see the anger and pain in her eyes…and perhaps even a hint of pity.

“Take Ailsa to a cell,” Freya commanded, once again in full Freya mode with her emotions under tight control. “She will remain there under guard until I have decided her fate.”

As Sharra and Ragnhild began to escort Ailsa away, their murderous triad member suddenly slipped loose from their grip and started to run towards the nearest wall, perhaps intending to follow Estrid’s example of long ago and escape into the mists. However, she’d barely made it ten yards before an arrow was shot through her knee, sending her face first into the ground.

Jass lowered her bow and bitterly muttered, “You’ve shamed our pillar.”

Ragnhild picked Ailsa up from the ground, not being very gentle about it. Then she unceremoniously tossed the murderous Val Kyr over her shoulder and carried her towards one of the buildings.

I watched them go in silence, not sure whether to hate Ailsa for what she’d done…and for the fact that she’d planned on framing me for Freya’s murder, or if I should pity her. It seemed that like Estrid, she’d been broken and twisted by the tragedies of her past. I briefly wondered if there was a lesson in there somewhere, but at the moment, I was too tired to consider that.

“Once,” Freya said, her voice firm but sad, “I was forced to ban new converts from our ranks…both to sooth Val Kyr fears and to protect those who would be unjustly accused and attacked.” She paused at that, slowly looking over all the Val Kyr present before loudly announcing, “This ban is now revoked, so let all Val Kyr know that once again, converts will be welcomed with open arms.”

There were a few cheers at that, though most Val Kyr were too physically and emotionally drained after the recent combat and shocks to show that much emotion. However, I had no doubt that once everyone had a chance to fully absorb what had just occurred and what it meant for the order, there would be more of a reaction.

“Our new sister will likely be dazed and confused when she awakens,” Freya announced to the Val Kyr who remained. “She will require understanding and support if she is to adjust and thrive as Val Kyr.”

I turned my attention back to Dad, who was still on the ground with Lindrell crouched down beside him, holding his hand. She looked up to me and gave me a faint smile, then turned her attention back to him. Without hesitation, I went over and crouched down on his other side, taking his other hand in mine and then sharing another faint smile with Lindrell.

“You’re going to be fine, David,” Lindrell gently told him, though I doubted he could hear her since he seemed to be unconscious.

Dad’s val was still growing and spreading through his body, but I could already tell that he’d been infused with jatta energy as well in order to encourage the healing. His recent wounds were indeed starting to heal up, though it would be awhile before the process was complete.

“How long?” I asked Lindrell. “How long before his body starts changing?”

“It won’t be noticeable for a few hours,” she answered. “The whole process will probably take longer than it did with you…”

She looked to his prosthetic leg, reminding me that he would actually have to grow a whole replacement. I felt a little excited at the realization that he would actually have his leg back, which would probably make his new body a little easier for him to accept.

“Lindrell,” Freya said, putting a hand on her shoulder and then looking at me. “Michelle…” Freya…Ionne gave me a gentle smile and assured me, “He will be a welcome addition to the Val Kyr, but for now, he needs to be taken inside and made comfortable.”

“I’ll take care of that,” Lindrell said. Then she bent over and gave Dad a gentle kiss on his lips before musing, “I wonder what you’ll look like once you finish changing…”

up
431 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good job.

Morpheus, as always. You are a artist, when it comes to weaving a story together. You are an inspiration to others. And I look forward to how you plan to finish this story. And if you have any plans for a sequel.

The story is wrapping up

The story is wrapping up sooner than expected. I expect there will be another chapter about David's transformation, but after that?

I'm not sure if I should be glad that there is no more suspension killing me, or sad that it can't be even longer.

You have (yet again) created a wonderful universe, Morpheus, and I can imagine more stories to take place in it. Will the Val Kyr ever expand beyond Val Halla? Reclaim the forgotten fortresses or even discover allies against the daemons? Perhaps, the daemons are actually mythical beings who were tainted somehow, and the Kyr can find the source of that taint and remove it?

But is it?

“I sent my two most trusted to eliminate that filth…before she could betray us,”
Most trusted implies there may be others trusted. What mischief might they manage if so?

I can't say I'm surprised, but I am a little disappointed.

I really hoped David would remain male. That he ended up female too seems... cliche, which isn't a word I typically expect to associate with Morpheus' writing. You sidestepped it nicely with having Michelle not succumb even the slightest to the taint of the Daemonite energy; to fall back on using one here just left me feeling let down.

Eh. It's not my story to direct, nor my choices to make, and doubtless the mass majority of the audience will praise the outcome. At least it was tied into the storyline nicely, and served to provide a reason behind a great deal of plot exposition.

In a way I'm glad I was right about Ailsa, but I'm also saddened that it's taken them nearly a thousand years to find out what she's been doing behind their back for so long. It honestly surprises me that as many converts are still alive as there are, given her attitudes and obvious ability to carry out her will behind the backs of those who would oppose her. She deserves death for her actions, perhaps worse, because her own pain was never an excuse to inflict such pain and suffering on her own sisters: something she may have realized she was doing if she had ever been in her right mind.

I'm looking forward to the final chapter.

Melanie E.

As the Guest Reader said...

Whether or not it was cliche, David being converted pretty much HAD to happen. He was a man of action, a warrior to his core. For him to turn away from this fight--a fight in which his wife and child were already committed to fighting--would have been grossly out of character for him.

Add to that, to decline on the basis of not being willing to give up his manhood would give lie to the pride he professed for Michelle and belittle her for her own choice, though hers was a much less noble decision based on survival rather than the desire to protect people.

And that's not even considering the fact that had David turned down the offer to be converted, he would have been left even more crippled than he was, probably confined to a wheelchair for the remainder of his life. He was already suffering from depression and resentment with the loss of his leg. Death would have probably been preferable to him than living with being paralyzed.

No, David not accepting the conversion would have felt contrived and out-of-character for him. I'm not even sure it's really cliche that he did accept in a story like this one. Sure, fathers/sons become women/sissies/whatever have happened in fap-fest-fics (F3? =) but I haven't seen it happen in a serious fic like this one that I recall. At best, it's a tad bit convenient (since it reunites Michelle's family), but honestly unavoidable unless Ailsa had succeeded in killing him first, which is honestly what I expected to happen.

On a different note, based on Morpheus' style, I foresee Ailsa escaping with or without her supporters to eventually take Elise's place as the Big Bad. I'm hoping he surprises me though. I'd really rather not see a civil war between the Val Kyr. That wouldn't be at all good for the mortals. ~_^

David's Conversion

Yup, I would pretty much agree with all that. And something no one else seems to have noticed... it wasn't just in character for David to accept both the gift and the responsibility of Val Kyr, and a happy bonus that it keeps their family together... but it was required from the viewpoint of the whole Val Kyr too. What happened needed to happen. Freya needed a man to take part in that battle, selflessly endangering himself to fight the daemons and help retake/defend Val Halla too, and be seriously injured doing so... to help fight the sickness that had crept into the Val Kyr since the coup attempt seven centuries before and the hostility to men and converts it caused. And she needed to have that man be offered conversion, and accept it, and do the conversion herself preferably, to show the Val Kyr that the politically forced ban on converts was no longer acceptable, nor was the attitude and actions of Val Kyr like Ailsa.

Lisa

There were other ways.

Or Morpheus simply could have not wrote in David receiving a debilitating injury that forces the choice. Nor do I see the insult inherent in if he had chosen to remain male (again, if the choice hadn't basically been forced,) either for Michelle or the other Val Kyr: in fact, if the point is that he has proven adaptable, i'd argue his early presentation as someone who relied on drinking to help cope with the issue of losing his leg is more a reason to prove he wasn't as adaptable as might be needed, since rather than fighting to maintain normality he sunk into a vice.

My issue doesn't arise from the parent/child relationship, but rather the tendency of TG stories to emphasize TG tansformation or being female as superior in some way to being male in every situation possible. It just seems an odd blind spot that many TG stories, and readers, have, assuming that a transformation is, by default, the best outcome possible without taking into account how similar that attitude is to those that cause us so many issues from others concerning "correct" gender or sex presentation. It's an assumption that is made far too often, and though I can sometimes overlook it if I see an amateur author using the convention, or if it's obvious the story is trying to be more wish fulfillment than respectable literature, seeing in the work of authors I hold higher standards for -- like Morpheus, Karin Bishop, or a multitude of other amazing authors here -- is a lot harder to swallow for me. When characters are actual characters, not cyphers, it becomes a much bigger issue when either the author or readers let their own viewpoints overwrite those the character would actually have.

I'm not saying David was ever written anti-TG, nor that he made a bad choice in the situation he was in: I'm saying that there were plenty of other routes Morpheus could have taken with the story that could have had an even greater positive outcome overall that didn't require David becoming Val Kyr. He could have been used as an example of why the separation of the Val Kyr from male influence was outdated, taking on an active role with them without having to become one and opening up a whole new level of acceptance within the community. As is, he serves as a pivot point for convert relations, which is admittedly good and important, but he could have represented so much more from a philosophical viewpoint in terms of attitude shifts, just by being welcome as a man -- not a Val Kyr, but an ally just as worthy to enter Valhalla as any of the normal women we've already heard mentioned who take part to keep the Val Kyr going.

Again, I PRAISE Morpheus for turning the events surrounding David's acceptance into the Val Kyr fold into a major cause for exposition, and using it as the catalyst for Freya's opening of the Val Kyr back to converts in general. Also again, it's not my choice how someone else writes their stories, any more than I would ever let anyone else tell me how to write mine. I'm simply saying that there were Other Ways that I would have preferred to have seen events unfold, ways that would have been much more special in terms of TG storytelling, and missing the opportunity to do something different like that kind of disappoints me.

The way the story went is obviously the way the majority of readers would want it to: it's a wish fulfillment staple of TG fiction for a middle-aged and/or disabled man to be transformed into a beautiful young woman, the kind of thing many of those who suffer the difficulty of being trans would kill to have happen to them. Inclusion of David's transformation will most definitely help the story to appeal to more readers, that's an absolute certainty. It simply seems needless and wasteful of much better opportunities.

*shrug*

Then again, what do I know? I've never had the audience Morpheus does for any of my work, and I'm obviously not as skilled a writer in general. Perhaps I'm missing some higher point to what happened, but I honestly really doubt I am.

I'm definitely looking forward to the last chapter, Morpheus. The story's had lots of twists and turns, and left me feeling both ecstatic and woeful multiple times each. There are few who write for the site with your talent to keep a story entertaining, and whatever issues I may have with things here, I'll be eagerly looking forward to your next story.

Melanie E.

You have some fair points...

However, David had an injury that would have made becoming a convert appealing right from the beginning of the story. Morpheus would have had to rewrite the whole character from the beginning to remove that motivation.

As far as the insult to Michelle, it's more of a way that it could be taken than an actual intended insult. It could also be taken the opposite way had David not chosen to be converted: Michelle had more courage than he did in giving up her manhood to survive and go on to make a difference.

I agree with you in general about too many TG stories painting men as little more than knuckle-dragging animals while depicting women as ones that can do no wrong. However, I don't feel like we can or should judge stories by great authors such as Morpheus by the same yardstick we use for the standard wish fulfillment fantasy story written by lesser authors. When someone like Morpheus does something, I think we can assume it's not because of something as tawdry as wish-fulfillment (most of the time, anyway), instead it's relevant to the plot, in this case, the imputus to reveal Ailsa as the viper in the garden, as well as the declared intent to resume recruiting converts.

Quite honestly, the reason I like Morpheus' work some much is that he generally stays well away from stating or implying that any sex is better than the any other. As such, when I read the whole scene concerning David's choice, any implication that women are superior wasn't even a blip on my radar. I just took it as a choice to be whole, but female while being true to your warrior nature, having the chance to fight along side your wife and child, protecting those that can't protect themselves, or be crippled even worse than you were because you'd rather not be female. I mean that's kind of a no-brainer, or it should be, but I guess most guys out there probably see being a woman as being worse than crippled and confined to a wheelchair, and if the transgendered community is anything to go by (how many trans-folk have killed themselves because they couldn't stand living another minute in a body whose sex disagrees with their gender?), it just might be unless the conversion to Val Kyr includes some sort of self image adjustment that somehow failed to take with Elise.

Could it have gone a different way? Sure. But then it would have been a different story. I'm betting Morpheus has spent several chapters setting this up if not having it planned from the beginning.

Just sayin'. It's fine to be disappointed. You would have rather seen something else. I get it, though I respectfully disagree (or at least I'm trying, though I tend to be a bit blunt). I just don't think it's cliche. In fact, I feel like cliche would be if David had made the opposite choice, give the amount of times it seem like I've been disappointed, much the same way you seem to be here, when the TG'd character doesn't remain TG'd or avoids the fate altogether. Haha.

I do know exactly what you mean though. I experience it a lot myself with TG fiction when the TG'd character inexplicably...or even reasonably...suddenly changes sexual orientation. My personal pet peev is when it happens because of hormones. That really drives me up the wall. Or when the author is engaged in rampant sexism of any flavor. Grrr...

And yet, for all it's fairly common flaws and for as much as the wrong story aggravates the tar out of me, I do so love TG fiction. Morpheus is one of the big reasons for this. Thanks, Morpheus! =D

Now that I have helped stirred up this hornet's nest

My job here is done! Though why people chose my comment as the one to jump on is beyond me.

Seriously though, I got what you said about the need for a change as being kinda cliche but that does not necessarily mean it was the wrong ending per se. But I must disagree this change is about wish fulfillment. David by no means wanted to become female, not in the least. The fact he gets the whole enchilada of benefits is a side benefit of his new 'uniform' so to speak, so he can fulfill his (soon to be her) duty.

If you are disappointed, then the onus is upon you to suggest how exactly the plot can be modified so that the need for the change becomes an optional or a reversible one. That is what you want of course. But in doing so it must have as much drama and intrigue and complexity that made this story so good as you did acknowledge. If there is no reasonable alternative then there is no reason to be disappointed even though the plot turn is 'predictable'.

Let's face it, all hero's journey type stories have particular plot turns that are a hallmark of that type of story. To you it seems that David is wish fulfillment, but in most hero's journey stories one does not reach a hard journey's end unscathed. David did not escape unscathed, not at all. In a way he got sorta got his boat ride to the blessed isles but still there was a price to be paid.

Suggestions for alternatives?

It's simple, really: David's scratch from the demon isn't as bad as the spine-ruining injury depicted. He'll heal up fine.

Michelle's mom embraces him, then turns to an approaching Freya, who still makes the offer to change him. He stands still, as the population of Val Halla looks on, awaiting his answer.

To their shock, he declines.

Recognizing his own weaknesses at times, David chooses not to accept the gift: instead, he decides that it is in his best interests to return to earth, as a normal human, to help raise and train a daemonite resistance force there. After all, it's obvious the Val Kyr cannot maintain their watch as well as they had thought: some humans need to be organized enough to fight them when the Val Kyr aren't available or need backup.

Freya looks at him, and smiles in approval of his plan, going so far as to announce to the rest of Val Halla that despite turning down the gift of the Val, David has proven that men truly are reliable allies again, and that the time to accept not only converts again has come, but perhaps the time to allow men a more active role in aiding the Val Kyr.

At this point, Ailsa screams and fires her arrow, and things mostly progress exactly as they did in the story, with the exception that more headway than just "more converts" has been made: the Val Kyr have, instead, expanded to accept the equality and comradery of males, much like they have accepted the aid and help of non-Val-infused women, and a new age dawns for the Val Kyr: one of even stronger sisterhood and embracing a brighter future.

That sound like an alternative?

As I've said twice already, Morpheus did well at working reasons for David to choose the change into the story; I simply continue to see doing so as unnecessary, and less an act of story importance and more one of catering to the masses of readers who would have grown angry had it NOT happened. I'm most definitely in the minority on this, I understand that. It wasn't about dream fulfillment for David, but for the masses of readers who would be able to vicariously live their own wishes through his transformation.

I'll stop commenting on this thread now, since continuing to do so will only anger people, it seems.

Melanie E.

Who says everyone is against you?

Please be careful generalizing other people's preferences in a story, that is what no reader likes. There is no question people liked the story but merely thinking they liked it because of a certain motivation is unproven and only opinion on your part.

As for my preferences, fwiw, I prefer that authors write about characters who keep their orientation after changing or just because they are femme or something. But that does not mean I will disparage the story because of it even though it is clear the author's own sexual preferences have entered into making such a choice.

There is a reason why I have opted to be an Anonymous Coward as doing so, there is less bias towards what is inferred as to who I am by a logged in handle unless I choose to do so.

BTW, good try for an ending but the foundation for such an ending is not as strong as what has come to pass. A better rationale better needs to be set in the previous 37 chapters to be in place to have it make sense to be honest.

Good luck to you Melanie. If this will give you motivation to write something that shows the beauty of your POV then we can only all benefit.

Together again

Maybe it will be together forever?

Nice.

Gwen

Estrid

.... was a valiant soldier who was injured and so is Michelle's father. With the main culprit now revealled things will be much better for converts(hopefully). Also, indirectly, Ailsa has caused many deaths due to her persecution of Esrtrid.It will be interesting to see what punishment will be dealt.

A great story

Joanna

coup

Alisa said that her plot started 700 years ago after her daughter died in the failed coup

Wow!!

Dahlia's picture

I sure never expected that. What an awesome story. Thanks and kudos to you.

Dahlia

Well the ending is what the ending is

Well, as for whether David should have had the choice of being converted or not. Meh, it is a bit cliche of course as he was not brave enough like some of us readers to not take that option, I am sure. The open question is whether he could have been healed once Michelle had recovered enough to possibly heal him we'll never know as Michelle was exhausted at the moment. Or whether or not she could've done it with enough precision is another.

In any case David was given a choice and along with getting a second chance also provided a visible reminder as to why the Val Kyr should heal from the betrayal from the coup.

This was already answered

That was how we learned that he too carried the Val spark. Michelle attempted to heal her father when he was injured early in the battle, but Lindrell stopped her and explained that if she healed him, it would awaken his Val.

As for his choice to be converted, sometimes cliches are gratuitous, and sometimes they are a logical piece of character development. The latter is true here; David is a soldier, and as we have seen in these last chapters, he is a very good soldier, and a natural leader. He devoted much of his life to service, protecting the innocent from the evils of the world, and now he has learned of a far greater evil than he imagined could exist. This war is personal to him; his wife and child are in the thick of it, and he has seen first hand what the daemons are capable of. The way I see it, this was the only decision he could make and be true to himself.

There is an old saying....

wolfjess7's picture

Man hath no great love of country than the love for his family. There is another one that is even better for this situation. One free man defending his home and family is worth a 100 hired soldiers.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

arrow to the knee

I am pretty sure that is a cleverly disguised arrow to the knee joke....
as always your writing is fantastic.

Penultimate chapter lived up to the title

They should have executed the general.

I fear her remaining allies will make one last attempt to kill the atra. Though did they know she had killed or caused to be killed so many ValKyr?

Best interrogate her immediately to determine her co-conspirators.

Better guard David and all the atra.

Other than exile or death how can a ValKyr be punished?

Can their val be removed or sealed?

Using her weird atra abilities Michelle killed rather than healed. Could she remove the generals Val without killing her.

I doubt the general could ever atone or be trusted.

BTW by *arraigning* for five ValKyr to be killed does that mean she fed info to the daemonites?

Would love to see Michelle retested and all the pillars light up.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Tidying up the Storyline

BarbieLee's picture

This chapter is one of Morpheus' hallmarks. He clears up a lot of the mental messes he made of his story before he ties a ribbon and bow on it. Usually this is all done in his last chapter. But this can't be a last chapter unless it's an Alfred Hitchcock story where it is dropped before it's finished. There are still a ton of issues to clean up before we reach the rainbow ending.
Which is why I read Morpheus stories. He doesn't leave them ending darkly. There is always that awww fuzzy warm feeling when one gets to the last word.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

love this story

Morpheus well done!

I wonder if the infusuion of extra val that Michelle recieved has increased her base supply or if it will diminish back after to her formerly normal levels. If it were to remain then it would be a foregone conclusion that Michelle be best able to succeed Ionne as Freya. And lead to yet another 'secret' needing to be kept. What if it became general knowledge that by defeating an infusion of demonite energy that the val level was increased. It would be like playing russian roulette trying to get the extra val with the chance that some might not be successful in converting the demonite energy into Val and become powerful demonites themselves like Estrid. More challenges ahead and I look forward to the conclusion and more importantly the sequel.
Thanks, Morpheus,
Sasha Zarya Nexus

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

A very risky gamble

I would think that choosing to become infected with daemonite energy to increase one's Val would probably be the same as accepting that energy. Michelle was able to change it because it was inflicted on her and she wanted no part of it. Inviting it in, for whatever reason, would be essentially damning yourself.

One question unasked,

and it should have been. Were there any other conspirators? They could still have problems otherwise.

I guess Ailsa was behind Jass

I guess Ailsa was behind Jass' hatred for michelle. She probably used Jass' past to antagonize her against converts trying to bring her into her little group. If Morpheus planned a sequel, The anti-convert group could free Ailsa and flee, and try to recruit their own Val kyr. Oh the possibilities...

Bravo!

Morpheus, it's always a pleasure to see someone as skilled as you at spinning a yarn. This was a pleasure to read, and to watch, as you created a wonderful tale of action, mystery, and drama. Thank you for sharing your talent.

Cheer
Zapper

I was rather hoping that

I was rather hoping that David would be allowed to become Val Kyr if he was offered it. What a complete shock all this was tho, when Ailsa shot Freya and tried to shoot David as well; then to cap it all tells everyone what she has done over the centuries. I am now wondering if David and by extension Michelle being of Freya's bloodline, that either of them could become the next Freya when that time comes?

A point I think others may have missed.

Many of the comments are concentrating on the reasons for David's transformation, calling it "trite" or "expected."

I think that the circumstances of his agreeing to become Val are the results of his courage and the very simple fact that it's better to be alive and female than it is to be crippled or dead as a male.

I seriously doubt that many men would choose disability or death to living on as a healthy woman.

As to the "women are somehow intrinsically better than men" thing... to me, that is a construct of TG fiction, the "wish fulfullment" thing that most of us feel about our birth sex.

We can't ever TRULY become fully female or, in the case of F-M trans folk, fully male. The BEST we can hope for is to be completely indistinguishable from our chosen gender presentation, so we write/read fiction that presents our chosen gender as the better one.

As for the story itself, I think it's superb, as I expect nothing else from Morpheus. Without question Morpheus is one of the top ten of ALL TG fiction writers out there. I've enjoyed very much reading it and I have no complaints/suggestions for changing a single word he has written. Gilding the lily comes to mind.

Thank you Morpheus for sharing your great talent with us. You never fail to entertain with your stories.

Hugs and love,
Catherine linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

For the most part...

I agree with you strongly, except for this...

the very simple fact that it's better to be alive and female than it is to be crippled or dead as a male.

On the face of it, it's a no-brainer. Being a healthy, fully-mobile female is preferable to being a crippled, wheelchair-bound male. But is it really? Wouldn't that make the poor guy a F2M transsexual? Granted, there's slightly less stigma attached to F2Ms than M2Fs, and also, I have no idea how the angst of being transgendered compares to the angst of being crippled (particularly for someone who was formerly an active, strong soldier-type), but I can say that most guys I know act like being female is a disability in and of itself. I also know that the discontinuity between a transgendered person's mental gender and physical sex is enough to drive many to suicide. So, I, for one, am not convinced that every guy would choose to be a healthy female over being a crippled male, and even if they did, that they would be happy with the results...unless, of course, some kind of mental adjustment was made in the process that prevented the new woman from being transgendered (which I believe to be the case here).

But then, that's just me killing catgirls.

Please, think of the catgirls.

Sorry. =[

Ailsa's punishment?

I wonder if there is someway that they can cancel Ailsa's val so she becomes mortal again instead of killing her then send her back to earth to live out the rest of her life. And maybe set a high level geis such that the val can never be reactivated.