Tamara's Trials - Chapter 24 "An Unaccounted Offer"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Twenty Four

 

"An unaccounted offer"

 

 
Monday 2nd February Continued
 

The hearing resumed with Iain Brown back on the stand. He now gave details of George Small's arrest and the assault that proceeded it. The Procurator Fiscal queried why Tanya had been attacked.

"It is strongly believed to have been a case of mistaken identity, the actual target would have been Miss Tamara Smart." He produced a photo taken in the theatre as George had grabbed Tanya, whilst Tammy stood a few feet away.

"What is the basis of this belief?"

"Miss Smart was the subject of a campaign by Mr Small intended to frighten her, possibly more. We have a recording of his second call."

The Sheriff agreed that it was appropriate to hear the recording, made when George had called Tammy the second time, but few there were ready to hear his voice as he promised her 'appearance this evening will be memorable'.

The next person called was Headmaster Steven McIntosh. He was asked to explain why George had been suspended. The Head explained how complaints of bullying were being received as well as an apparent issue with diversity and non-discrimination. He was asked for specifics by the Procurator Fiscal.

"One of our students had been diagnosed as transgendered and this has prompted a re-evaluation of the school as a co-educational establishment."

"Can you name this student?"

"I would rather not given that she remains a student at St Andrews but she is in the court."

"I take it that the school is co-ed now?"

"Only in the sixth form."

"Why did this lead to Mr Small's suspension?"

"He was using lessons to attempt to create division within the school, which prompted complaints. We offered him training but he refused and also refused to refute anything that had been said."

There was a shout of "Rubbish" from the back of the court. The Sheriff looked up but let it go and the Head was prompted to continue.

"Then, on third of December he was suspended pending an disciplinary. There was, however, an incident before he left the school involving his son who was a student there."

"Was?"

"His son has attended St Andrews as a female student since late December, with the support of the management and the Governing Body."

There was a shout of "pervert" from the back of the court and this time the Sheriff would not let it go. He stated that any other interruption carried a risk of contempt.

"Is she in the court?"

"She is."

There was a muted noise from the back of the court as Steven McIntosh left the stand. The next one called was Joan Small.

Joan was asked about her relationship with George, and how that relationship broke down irretrievably. She was forced to mention Angela, explaining the part Tammy had played. She told the court about George's intent to sell the family home in Bletchley and why she had to travel to England to instruct a solicitor there. That led to George assaulting her, which she recounted slowly and painfully.

She continued by telling the court how Elsie and Richard had supported her when Joan had been at her lowest. She finally recounted her last sight of her deceased husband in the theatre leaping from a wheelchair to grab Tanya, who was an innocent party.

Tammy was fully expecting to be the next one called to give evidence but it seemed some negotiations were taking place, between the Procurator Fiscal, the Smith solicitors and Kelly Masters. Finally the Sheriff spoke.

"If there is any other relevant testimony then I would like to hear it now otherwise I will close these proceedings."

There was a shout from the back of the room.

"It's that boy's fault, he's the reason."

"Excuse me?" The Sheriff was unused to outbursts in such hearings.

"He told me he loved me."

The Sheriff instructed the court bailiffs to locate the woman concerned and bring her to the stand. As she came closer to the bend there was some recognition, he had sentenced Yvonne Stewart a few days earlier on the charge of conspiracy to bribe. Finally she was in the stand and he asked her to take the oath, choosing the King James bible.

The PF took over. "Now, Miss Stewart, could you repeat what you just said?"

"Yes, and I'm glad I can say it. George died because he was distraught. His world had fallen apart when his son was persuaded to parade around in heels and a frock and it was his fault." She pointed frantically at Tammy.

"Who?"

"Him!"

"Can I remind you that you're under oath?"

"That boy in the skirt."

The PF turned to the Sheriff and shrugged. They were about to remove her from the box when she spoke again.

"He told me he loved me. We sat and wrote a new will before I took him to the theatre. He loved me."

Tammy could sense that Joan was fuming but her solicitor gave quick instructions to Angela to stay with her mum and say nothing, before questioning Yvonne.

"Miss Stewart, you just said you had a will, but why was it not produced as soon as Mr Small died?"

"I couldn't find it."

"And it seems you have just told this inquiry, under oath, that you took George Small to the Theatre?"

"Yes."

"He was seen arriving at the theatre sat in a wheelchair, whose was it?"

"My late father's."

"Did you know he was going to attack someone?"

"I knew he wanted to ruin someone's night as payment for them ruining his life."

"You agreed with this?"

"It seemed reasonable, an eye for an eye."

"Were you aware he was on the run from England?"

"He said he had some trouble with his ex." She made 'ex' sound like 'axe'.

"Putting his wife in hospital is rather more than that."

"She was being coerced and manipulated by a frocked boy and his father while George's son was parading in skirts, embarrassing his father and ruining his reputation."

"Did George Small stay at your flat in Inverness on the eleventh of December last year?"

"Yes, and another place, I have."

"Where?"

She gave the address out, not seemingly caring what she was doing. In the row ahead, Tammy could see one of the officers typing into his phone.

"Do you have the will you mentioned?"

"Here."

She handed over a single sheet, which the solicitor passed to the Sheriff. Yvonne was then asked, nay encouraged, to stand down.

The Sheriff said he would consider this new evidence but would now reserve judgement. He also made an order restricting publication of the proceedings until after the inquiry report was available. That would protect anyone fingered by Yvonne's rant, thought Tammy.

A moment later the session was closed and everybody made for the exit.

Tammy, who was separated from everyone else, caught the eye of Detective Inspector Edmunds as they shuffled forward, and this time he winked at her. Outside something strange was happening, the police had blocked the road and were holding back the public as Chief Inspector Brown arrested Yvonne Stewart, in full view of the press.

She was quickly handcuffed and led to a waiting police van.

"Mr Smith, what was that about?" The Solicitor had caught up with Tammy.

"I'm not sure, the Sheriff did say that there was a secondary investigation that might delay publication of the Fatal Accident Inquiry report and that he'd only been informed of that other investigation this morning."

"Well, I know that Chief Inspector Iain Brown has been involved in an investigation for several weeks, as well as a few things I don't think I should say."

"If in doubt, young lady, say nothing."

Richard had now caught up and had Tanya with him.

"Where did you go?"

"I had a clear escape route, just like getting out of the school hall after assembly."

"Okay, but what went on out front?"

"Yvonne was just arrested, and it doesn't look like it was for a parking ticket."

"Oh. We'd best get back home before we start our own inquest on what's happened today."

Richard had left the car at the Mackay Hotel after lunch so the four of them had a short walk back over the Wick River Bridge before they could join the long queue of traffic heading out of the small Highland Town. Ahead of them, and out of sight, was Elsie's group including Joan and Angela.

"Tammy, I know you and that Yvonne didn't get on but why would the police have arrested her there?"

Tammy answered honestly, "I don't know." Given Jeremiah Smith's advice, and that he was currently sat alongside her father, Tammy said no more about the day's events.

Back at the McPherson house some forty minutes later the solicitor conducted a debrief but cautioned everyone not to speak to anyone, especially the press, as the proceedings were protected by law. He bade them a good day and prepared to departe. Tanya wanted to go into town and, as it was on his way, he offered to give her a ride.

That left the Smalls, Smarts and Elsie.

"Where do we start?" Richard posed the question.

"The inquest, first."

"Yes, Elsie. Let's see if I get this right; Police Service Scotland were criticised for breaching their own procedures. Thames Valley Police were found to have dragged their feet in supplying Scottish officers with key background information until it was too late. There was no criticism of the school, or any of us."

"That sounds fine."

"Now, what happens next? I'm sorry Joan but the Sheriff and the Procurator Fiscal's office will have to examine the alleged will, they have to. Even if it appears to have been prepared correctly it can still be challenged. Even though Yvonne was arrested we cannot say that the will was fraudulent or otherwise invalid."

"I understand, Kelly said she would get a copy as soon as possible so we can see it."

"Good, but please call your solicitor if you need advice as this is outside of mine and Elsie's area of experience."

"I will."

"Now, most of what Yvonne said was a rant but she did mention you, Angela, and you, Tammy, in particular. Well done to both of you for not getting provoked. Given the Sheriff's decision to restrict publication of the proceedings we can hopefully avoid the press naming you by your previous names. As it stands, the press have a much bigger story from the steps of the court and there are no restrictions as to what they can say about that, within reason of course."

Tammy excused herself so she could fetch her tablet from the bedroom, calling up the website of the Thurso Echo as she walked back down the stairs.

"There's something on the Echo's site, I'll read it."

Dramatic Arrest at Wick Sheriff's Court
Police arrested former Thurso schoolteacher Yvonne Stewart on the steps of Wick Sheriff's Court this afternoon. She had earlier spoken in the court during an Inquiry into the death of another teacher George Small. Sources suggest Miss Stewart is to be questioned by counter-terror officers.

"Counter-terrorism?"

"That's what it says here, guess who I saw in Wick?"

"Mickey mouse?"

"I deserved that, it was DI Kevin Edmunds."

"Met Police counter-terrorist squad."

"That's him. He had two ladies with him and one of them gave me a card while we were in the loo at the hotel."

She searched through her bag for the card.

"Here it is: Heather Young, Accountancy Services, Redruth in Cornwall."

"What did she want with you?"

"She knew my name, knew I was planning on doing Business Studies at Uni and offered me some accountancy experience with her this summer."

"And she was with DI Edmunds, is she genuine?"

"I can't see why not."

"Is there a mobile number on the card?"

"Yes."

"I'll call it, wait here."

Richard took the card into the study and dialled the number shown.

"Hello?"

"Is that Heather Young?"

"It is, I guess that's Richard Smart and Tammy gave you the card?"

"Yes, now how do you know us?"

"I'm afraid I can't say too much, especially not over the phone. Can you and Tammy come down to the Castletown this evening for dinner? Six thirty?"

"Who'll be there?"

"Myself and my partner and possibly Kevin but he's interviewing Yvonne Stewart right now with one of the local officers."

"Do you know why she was arrested?"

"Yes, but I.."

"... can't say!"

"That's right. We'll see you at six thirty?"

"Yes, see you there."

Richard walked back to the sitting room.

"Tammy and I have just been invited to dinner with this Heather Young and her partner. She knows what's going on and identified me on the phone so she's plainly much more than an accountant."

"Another spook?"

"Another one Tammy, how many do you know?" Joan was becoming concerned.

"I called DI Edmunds a spook when he first arrived in Thurso just after Christmas, although that was before he had explained his job. I'd accused him then of cloak and dagger stuff and did the same to this Heather. She didn't exactly deny it and didn't say she was a Police Officer either. So maybe she is a spook after all."

Angela looked confused. "Let me get this straight, you met a spy in the loo of a hotel in Wick today?"

"Yes, even if it doesn't sound very glamorous the way you said it."

"Tammy, Angela, stop the speculation as you'll likely make fools of yourselves. If this is a con we'll find out soon enough but don't get dragged in before we can prove it's a con. Otherwise, if it's genuine, no-one would want it spread around as it would negate the whole purpose and could damage much more than your reputations."

Tammy picked up her tablet and refreshed the page.

"There's more to the story, it now says that properties in Inverness are being searched and a further person has been arrested, who they're reporting is a journalist."

***

Richard decided that neither he nor his daughter would have any alcohol so he drove the Land Rover into Thurso, parking it in a side street close to the hotel.

Frances wasn't to be seen but one of the regular bar staff was the duty manager that evening.

"Mr Smart, Miss Smart, your friends have a table in the restaurant. Can I take your coats?"

No preliminaries in the bar then, thought Tammy? Richard had expected to find a male and a female but instead had his attention grabbed by one of two ladies sat away from other diners.

"Good evening, I'm Heather and this is my partner Sophie."

"As you will already know, I'm Richard and this of course is my daughter Tammy."

Richard and Tammy sat, the duty manager than supplied a menu to them, waiting to take drink and food orders. After a minute or two they were free to talk.

"I'm sure you have many questions, Richard, and we'll do our best to answer them but please don't think I'm being awkward or evasive if I can't give you a straight answer."

"Okay, are you both accountants?"

"I am but Sophie is a serving police officer on secondment to another agency and working with me."

"Are you a genuine accountant?"

"Oh yes, I qualified ten or so years ago and did my trade from a small office in North London."

"Under what name?"

"Sorry, but that's not one I can answer, but do not infer anything!"

The barman was approaching with drinks so again they paused.

"Now, how come you know about us, and what brings you to Thurso?"

"Ah, the easy questions? I was involved in a major investigation that had links up here and to your ex wife."

"The kidnap attempt?"

"Yes, but no-one else up here knows the connection and we'd like to keep is that way. Anyway, there was a development and Kevin felt he needed to come back here so he suggested we spent a few days in the town."

"It's a long way from Redruth."

"It is Tammy, but we live close to Newquay airport, with links to London, so the three of us flew into Wick and were picked up from there."

"Right, Heather, why are you telling us this?"

"I would like to offer Tammy work experience in an area of work that varies between very boring, very challenging and very rewarding. It's about finding clues in numbers to prove or disprove a theory."

"When and where?" Tammy was becoming interested.

"In Redruth and Central London mainly, how about July?"

"I finish school in June so that's fine, what's the weather like in Cornwall in the summer?"

"I don't know, we've not been there that long."

"Dad, remember you said I might be needed for Mum's trial? When was that?"

"August, you'll be back here by then, won't you?"

"I reckon so."

"Tammy, Richard, there's no set times here, it's whatever suits, but unless you spend a few weeks with us Tammy you won't get a flavour of the rewards."

"Okay, but can I have something in writing?"

"Sure we'll ask Jenny to sort that out. She'll send you the security forms too."

"Now I know it's genuine, if you start talking about clearance!"

"A sad but necessary evil, Richard, we arranged for your own clearance to be renewed before we came up here." Sophie spoke.

"My own?"

"You handled the investments on behalf of some government agencies about five years ago."

"I did, it was an overseas investment quango with millions to play with, is it still around?"

"It's been closed down as it served its' purpose but you had to be cleared for that. If you weren't cleared then we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"I guess so. Doesn't Tammy get clearance automatically because of me?"

"Not exactly, but close enough."

"What's going on with Yvonne?"

"We can't say, unfortunately, as no-one's been charged and we wouldn't want to compromise the investigation."

Sophie's phone pinged so she checked the message.

"Tara's flat's been compromised."

"What's happened?" Richard was alarmed.

"The intruder alarm has been activated, my colleagues will arrange to intercept Tara at Euston and take her somewhere safe. Please don't try to call her as her phone will be off."

"Richard, we'll arrange for a special phone to be delivered to your new house, do you have a safe?"

"Not yet."

"You'll need one and it has to be fitted with an anti-tamper alarm."

"I'll order one tonight, the alarm company can connect it when the system goes live on Friday."

"Could you ask them about alarming your study separately?

"It was already a consideration."

"Good, the phone should be with you by Friday."

Other diners were now sat uncomfortably close to the four of them so discussion turned to tourist sight. It wasn't long after that when their meals were brought to the table.

Richard had excused himself to use the loo when Heather spoke quietly to Tammy.

"Please be careful with this fashion show, I don't want you or your friends to be hurt, financially or physically."

"What do you mean?"

"Analyse the business data when you receive it."

"How do you know about that?"

"We just do. Analyse the data and look for something that doesn't make sense, then give me a call on the special phone."

up
425 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The plot

Podracer's picture

I wouldn't say "thickens", more like coalesces. I do hope the agencies involved are already watching Tammy's back physically as well as through contact and advice.

"Reach for the sun."

what a tangled........

wow, our girl and her Dad certainly get drawn into unusual situations....... I wonder when Heather will come clean with Tammy? Looks like Yvonne is a major gold digger in the will department, cant wait for more thanks Shiraz

Double Cool

More Heather and Sophie.

Shiraz, thanks for this series (and the frequent posting rate).

wills and won'ts

If I recall correctly, a new will can't be validated til someone has lived 30 days after it is written and signed.
Someone else would also have known of the will as it must be signed by a witness who is not a beneficiary.
Any will can be contested.

Thank you Shiraz,

Wow!! The story just gets better and better, very well done,Shiraz ,can't wait for more.

ALISON

Love seeing Heather and

Love seeing Heather and Sophia back in the picture so to speak. I am also glad Tammy is being offered an Internship with them, or at least with the Agency. Unless Laws in Scotland and/or England regarding wills is different than in the US, even a handmade one such as Yvonne claims is hers from George; it has to be witnessed by two people and generally a Notary Public, to make it all official. Janice Lynn

Actually, in California...

…and 24 other U.S. states, unwitnessed holographic wills are legally binding, though of course they can be challenged as forgeries or their author's intent can be questioned. As my query below indicates, I don't know how the laws stand in the U.K., or in Scotland in particular.

Here's nolo.com's take:

Eric

????

enb4448's picture

Curiouser and curiouser. As Alice said in Wonderland.

A New Will?

Would an unwitnessed will presented to the court by the beneficiary be assumed to be genuine under Scottish law? I know laws vary.

Eric

Eric

Accountants Unchained!

joannebarbarella's picture

I was told accountancy was boring when I was a kid!

Connections

There's nothing like connecting the dots. We have our "Unaccounted Gains" people showing up to add complications and new wrinkles to Tammy's life. The more the merrier and more the fun. If not already done, add this to your reading list.

Well done.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Looks like Mom

was way over her head, and has managed to get the rest of the family involved. Hopefully it will be to the rest of the families benefit long term. Yvonne just keeps getting weirder and weirder. She does not seem to be too tightly wrapped.

The soup thickens

Jamie Lee's picture

Well, she had to do it. Disrupt the proceedings. Put her foot in her mouth by bragging about helping George with his attack at the theater. That, and maybe more, may be the reason she received her new bracelets. That woman is so proud of what she does, she puts her mouth in gear before her brain can realize how she implicates herself with each word. Calling her stupid is an understatement.

Special phone? Safe with tamper alarm? Alarm the study separately? Bond, James Bond! Oh wait, that's Heather and Sophie. Not able to answer certain questions or wanting to say more when it starts getting crowded, these gals are not your typical police officer and accountant.

They know a lot about father and daughter. They asked Tammy to analyze the business data when it's received, looking for anything out of the ordinary. If Tammy thought things were hopping at school, the summer job being offered might be many times that. What is she getting into?

Tara's flat being compromised does not bode well. It means someone is still searching for her.

Others have feelings too.

"An Unaccounted Offer"

WillowD's picture

I've just finished re-reading the Unaccounted Gains series again after just having re-read all of the Tamara tales again. This is the chapter where the two series tie in. I read the books on Kindle but Shiraz has started republishing the books on BCTS. You can find it here at https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/fiction/86121/unaccounted-gai...

This series is absolutely awesome. Now I'm inspired to re-read Snowfall's various series as well that tie into this.

Ooh!

Having the study and safe each alarmed separately from the house sounds like preparation for Tammy to become Thurso's resident Forensic Accountant under contract to the Security Service (aka Coleman and Sons Ltd - I wonder if the mustard company know about their 'undocumented' 'employees'? )

Meanwhile, it seems there may be certain discrepancies with the financial data of the company organising the fashion show, so Tammy will no doubt be examining the accounts for the mutual benefit of her, the other models and possibly even Sarah (is the stated intention is that she gets compensation other than sales).

No doubt we'll learn a little more of Heather and Sophie's investigation into George Small in this tale, but the bulk in UG3 (when Shiraz finally manages to weave her [presumably extensive!] notes into a coherent narrative).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!