Jem...Chapter 125

Printer-friendly version

Jem… Chapter 125

Angel/Jem
Jem…Chapter 125

by Bailey Summers

Copyright © 2013 Bailey Summers
All Rights Reserved.

Jem Chapter 125

Chapter 125

*Before…

And Rayne looks at her. “No offence Mrs. Brewer’s” she said it plural and I see the two women hold hands together. “But you wanted to talk to us about more than just this right?” and she hits them with the chest meets the glasses and I’m being serious look of hers and then…the eyebrow.
Okay sigh…
“You’re up front that’s good we’d like to hire you for a show.”
I look at them. “Something specific or like a regular showing.”
“We have or D.J.ess here for our regular showing and we’re trying to cultivate her in a sort of Tegan and Sarah kind of way but we’d like you to do a Halloween show here.”
I look at them both. “What kind of show?”
I look out at the pit or what was the old production floor for here. “You have the room for a pretty big show.”
“We’re going to have other bands but we want Starlight Butterfly to headline it here.”
“Who else is signed?”
“Edith Porter and we have Nunchuk-girls so far.”
I can’t believe I’m saying this but… “What about Kisses and Thorns?”

*And Now…

Both Rayne and The Brewers are looking at me.

Rayne says. “Really? Summer?”

I nod. “They’re a local band and they have decent bookings and people do go to see them. It would actually be pretty unprofessional to not to work with someone just because you didn’t like them or had history.”

She’s making a face.

“I don’t want to work with Summer.”

“I know you don’t but we should.”

“Why?”

“Because we’re better than they are, we at least make sure that the offer’s open…plus…’

“Plus what?”

“Plus if we ever do put together a music festival or a battle of the bands we’ll have to work with them. Plus it adds to our reputation.”

I actually take a drink of my drink and look from Rayne to the ladies.

“How will it add to our reputation?” Rayne asks.

One of the Brewers the one that does the usual talking says. “Because it shows you’re not going to be trouble or divas and I tend to like that when I hire people.”

“Oh...well okay that makes sense but can I still just not like it on account of her being my Ex and all the crap that she’s pulled?”

“Absolutely honey I’m still pissed at her and think she’s kind of a shitty person too y’know.”

I lean over and I kiss her and Rayne kisses me back which could have went further if we weren’t in front of the ladies who are looking at us with all of that older and way together lesbian couples looking at the young ones.

Yeppers blushing.

The first Brewer looks at me and Rayne. “So you’ll do it?”

I look at Rayne and Rayne looks at me and she says. “Tenitively we’ll have to ask our other bandmates first, we don’t run the band like we used to.”

They both nod and smile. “Please let us know soon?”

I smile and slip my hand into Rayne’s. “We’ll go and talk about it now with them and will have your answer by close.”

“Thank you both, it was very nice getting to sit down with you girls.”

I get up with Rayne and we shake hands with the Brewers and we head back out to the club proper to look for the girls and make our way through the bodies and dancers and it’s not too hard to find them.

We find Brooklyn by her hair which stands out here in the sea of semi-goth…demi-goth and then Kimmie’s dancing up a storm with several girls and it’s really, really fun to watch her doing this sort of club-cheer-drummer-dance sort of thing to *Hollerback Girl* By Gwen Stefani.

Carmen and Molly are sort of dancing too but along the edge of all of that like they’re keeping safely out of range of Kimmie’s moves and…and they’re dancing like they’re pretty focused on one and other.

They both have stuff that’s gone on.

And I don’t know what exactly though Carmen’s I can guess at some and Molly…well Molly just really strikes me as a street kid. Not like homeless and the stuff you see on TV but likely has been there or close to it and I think since she’s never mentioned family that it’s a factor in things too.

Honestly Carmen looks better un-preppified and letting herself be herself.

Fitting in is hard when you’re different.

And no I’ll not go there with the race thing since I’ve no like idea it’s just I can sort of empathize from like my own angle.

It’s kind of cool to see both of them having a good time.

And heck with it…instead of interrupting the others I pull Rayne out into dancing again and we both dance along with the others to the beat and stuff as the songs come and the D.J.’s mixing songs with beat tracks and club stuff.

Again I will stress that I’m trying to dance.

Because I always feel sort of self-conscious and like a spazz doing stuff like this.

But you know I like dancing.

I like dancing even if I feel like ultra-awkward about doing it. I like being free and moving and I like being wild enough that I can shake my hair a bit wild like and that I can just move without having to do it in a certain way I can be suggestive or I can play at being flirty in thet way that I move and I can just be wild.

I don’t mean like crazy and out of control wild but like free. Girls and even kind of living as Jase there’s this way to be, to act.

Guys, guys so often get to be guys and be loud and yell and act like whatever just because they’re guys and they can if they want to. Girls have this expectation; they get to drop some of that expectation when they dance.

Moving in fun ways, clapping, waving arms, making noise it’s all okay.

It’s also a hell of a lot of fun too for introverts like me if you can get us out there.

And yes even if I’m out and doing things and talking and meeting people I’m still that Jase part that’s quiet.

I just make myself is all because like a lot of things in life you kind of have to.

We dance for like maybe a half an hour to forty minutes all of us and as the music slows down to the stuff they play for the break or intermission stuff I look at the girls.

“We had a gig offer.”

Brooklyn nods and Carmen and Molly look at us and Molly mimes a smoke and I look at Rayne and we all head outside after getting our coats and purses and we head off through the crowd of smokers over to the van and the cars and Molly and Carmen both light up. I’m not a smoker but I’m not going to harang on them for doing it.

Kimmie looks at us. “What’s going on?”

“The Brewer’s asked us to play a Halloween gig here with some other bands.”

Brooklyn nods. “That’d be cool are we taking the job?”

“Well we wanted to ask you all first and to let you know that we’ll be playing with other bands that night.”

Rayne says. “Angel asked if they were going to ask K&T to play.”

Brooklyn looks at me and she chews at her lip. “Summer, you want us to play with Summer?”

I look at them. “Not actually with them but yes working the same job.”

“Why?”

“To show we can.” Rayne says. “Look I don’t like it either but angel’s right it’s a small area and if we keep butting horns with people it won’t look good.”

Carmen says. “And Adam, he’d so use that as a way to get at the band.”

Kimmie’s like. “Why? He like barely knows us we had that thing…that one time?”

I look at her. “And Jason’s troubles started over a bike rack in elementary school.”

There’s some solemn nodding.

Carmen says. “If you girls really want to stick it to him then do it, be like all professional like you girls were at The Amsterdam the other night and everything and show K&T up on stage by kicking ass and then have Angel do her thing with people being like all business synergy and stuff.”

I nod and sort of blush some. “Well I’m not too sure about it being magic and everything but I do want to play this and get a goof rep with the Brewers because they’re actual club owners and I would love to get them to like maybe help us with things.”

Kimmie’s like… “Things?”

“Other clubs, talking to other bands and venues and reporters and stuff because it’d be good for things and…”

Brooklyn looks at me. “And?”

“And maybe when school’s out we can do a little short local touring.”

They’re all looking at me.

“What? I thought with school getting done we could tour around and play a few shows and get the word of mouth going around and actually…”

They’re staring at me.

I take a breath. “And actually see if we are up and running with things with the town and the site about us and the other bands we can gather up to come to Harper’s Point to play the Canada Day long weekend.”

They’re staring at me and then it’s Kimmie who gets me first and then the other girls who are mobbing me in a hug and there’s lots of talking and excitement and everything else and we’re drawing looks and everything but it doesn’t matter and the cool think is that they’re getting why…

Talking about all the people coming here and having shows but people knowing we’re a town that has good shows and that it’s a good place to come to even if we’re a drive for some. And the spin off from people coming with places like Lucky’s and Jakes being packed and packed means more bands and more bands means like more music people.

They’re all talking about all of the stuff that I usually talk about when it comes to this stuff and Rayne slips in and pulls me aside and sort of up against the van.

And she kisses me.

Numb toes in a good way.

“You’re really serious?”

I nod. “The way that I see it we’ve only got a few years…two.”

She nods. “Before Brook and Kim graduate.”

“Right…and I really do want them to go to college and I know I want to get things done too so there’s all that real life stuff so I want this…I want this for us…the glory days and playing in a band and scary concerts and fun and all of that but I want to build this for us too…for us but for the girls too so we’ve all got real cred when it happens.”

She nods again and she does that look me in the eyes and a long slow heart deep smile and she kisses me really…she does that thing that she does with her tongue that thing that makes my knee bend and all of that…then she breaks the kiss but doesn’t move away much farther that that.

“And that’s so one of the big reasons why I’m falling in love with you Angel.”

up
247 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I really liked writing that line.

Rayne has a lot of reasons why she's falling for Angel and Ange being trans isn't even really on her radar most of the time.
*Great Big Proud Angel Hugs *

Bailey Summers

The Two of Them

Elsbeth's picture

Love the story, great chapter as always.

*Huggs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

What was

When you and that special someone come together its not about what was, its all about what is and what can be in the future. As J.L. said "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one". Sometimes clouds can be the best foundation you can have. Imagine that!

(And I managed to work three different songs into that comment, even if only one is a direct reference!)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Now that's a music fan:)

It's nice to see Angel and the girls thinking ahead and being excited about this. Seeing a future is a big thing for people, it gives hope.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

I forsee bad things at Halloween!

GrandiaKnight's picture

Another fantastic chapter. Loved it! I'm hoping for a big musical and shouting showdown at the Halloween gig between the two bands. Maybe Adam or Summer finding out about Angel? It would definitely make things more interesting!

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

I love that about her

She can live in the moment, but she still can see the future and work toward her dreams.
Hugs
Grover

What a head

Podracer's picture

Jem has screwed on to those little shoulders. Likely always been like that, just without such an excellent way forwards. Seems she's found her heart too.

"Reach for the sun."

As a musician/singer Jem's a dreamer, but had to grow up fast.

She wants to have those things she dreams of but she wants the real things...song credit, professional credit, a good reputation...home, love, good things for the girls.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Thanks for creating this world. It's a delight to get lost in.

I just deleted a long, gushing post. It would be embarrassing for both of us. :-)

Let me just say the story is captivating and the characters are utterly charming and so well written.

Thanks for letting us spend time in this world, with these people.

K@

what can you say...

she has heart to spare and brains to boot.
great lil' chapter. thanks

...

all caught up again :( now I have to wait for a new chapter.