Tamara's Trials - Chapter 16 "A Troubled Boy"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Sixteen

 

"A troubled boy"

 
 
Monday 26th January
 

It was difficult to get out of bed on Monday morning but Tammy really had no choice. She fancied breakfast at school but needed transport to get there if she didn't want to wait for the minibus at eight twenty. She'd seen her father consume several large Scotches the previous evening so decided not to press him for a lift.

Michael solved the problem as he was going to college early, after just a slice of toast and a glass of juice.

"Is that all, Michael?"

"It's all I have time for. You know John's in court today?"

"I'd forgotten, what's today's hearing about?"

"I don't know, the police said they might be able to put the knifing on his main trial. Mark's now given a statement to the police, he wouldn't do it at first."

"Are you going to see Mark before college?"

"Yes."

"Good." Tammy really wanted to know more about Michael and Mark's relationship after rescuing it.

"What are you doing, Tammy?"

"I wanted to get to school for breakfast there, but I don't have any transport."

"Give me five minutes and I'll drop you at school."

"Thanks, shame I can't take my own car yet!"

"All in good time."

When Tammy reached school she found a folded note by in her pigeon-hole, she put it in her bag and headed to the refectory as food was slightly more important. What was obvious, though, was that most of the sixth form had a copy of the note but she couldn't see anything similar elsewhere in the room. There weren't many teaching staff around either.

She read the note as she munched a bowl of cereal.

Teaching Arrangements Monday 26 January
 
Due to staff training all sixth form lessons are
cancelled. In addition there are no teaching staff
for the first period. Prefects will therefore under-
take supervision in form rooms of their allotted year
immediately after the lower school assembly.

Tammy sighed then realised she hadn't been allocated a year, she was a 'prefect without portfolio' so to speak. Unfortunately one of the year eleven prefects was unwell so Tammy found herself deputising.

It was odd standing through assembly as the sixth formers were not obliged to attend so many simply chose not to. What Tammy hadn't yet discovered was which of the fifteen and sixteen year olds was her flock for the next hour. All she knew was which room to seek.

That much was simple as this had been Tammy's form room two years earlier, although it had been repainted once or twice since then and finally no longer had the smell of pipe tobacco and nicotine that had lingered for many years. It was strange thinking that smoking in classrooms was once tolerated.

She had stopped by the office to collect a register and read down it quickly before reading the names out. It seems that several hadn't paid attention during assembly when the Deputy Head had explained changes to the day's schedule so did a double take with Tammy. Most of the responses to the roll call were "Yes, Miss" but there were the occasional grunts of "Here" or even simply a grunt.

"I am Miss Smart and I have the glorious task of supervising you for the next hour."

There was a sigh."

"Believe me there are things I would rather be doing too."

"Like painting your nails, Miss?"

"No, the fumes are considered to be toxic to boys so I'm not allowed to paint them in school. Now, plainly I did not plan anything so I can be flexible. Does anyone need to go to the library?"

Of the twenty five boys in the room, ten put their hands up immediately. "Okay, report to the librarian when you arrive there."

"Who needs to rehearse in the music school?" Six took that option, so she was down to nine.

"Who needs to tidy their room to avoid the wrath of the housekeeper?" Another four took that option.

Four had already found a pack of cards and were starting a bridge school, that left one student on his own. It didn't take much for Tammy to realise the boy who was trying to hide in the middle of a near empty room was Ryan Jenkins.

Tammy debated what to do, and decided that speaking to him right now about Saturday morning was not wise. Her phone vibrated in her skirt pocket. It was a text from Sarah.

I have the keys for the shop if you get any spare time

She tapped a quick response.

May be free later this morning

"Excuse me Miss Smart?"

Tammy looked up, Jenkins was stood in front of her, his eyes were red and the face sorrowful.

"Yes, Jenkins?"

"Can I go to see Mrs Small?"

"I think she's with the teachers until the end of this period."

"Oh."

"Can I help with anything?"

"No, Miss, I don't think I'm allowed Miss."

Tammy knew she had to leave it alone.

"Okay, did you want to go to your room?"

"Yes, please."

"Go then, you have my permission. You must report for period two however."

"Yes Miss, Thank you."

She sent Joan a text.

Supervising form 11B, Jenkins asked to see you but I said you were busy until P2

There was no quick response from Joan but there was a new message from Tanya.

Mum just sent me a text, there's a court summons for me for next Monday, it has Angela's dad's name on it

That would be the inquest, then. Tammy's summons had arrived a week or so earlier.

Tanya, I'll talk to Dad about transport as we're going. Tell the school.

Thanks Tammy, I will

Over in the corner the bridge school was getting louder but they were the only students left in the class so Tammy gave then gentle advice about being quiet then walked to the library to check on some of her temporary form. All was quiet with a few using the PCs and others doing research or revision.

She went to the music school and looked in the rehearsal rooms, seeing most of the group that had taken this option. Other students were arriving with instruments, annoyed that the rooms were already taken.

She next did a walk thorough the residential corridors, remembering when Tom had lived here, although now it was a diminished memory. She paused outside her former room, next to John Hibbert's, and noted that the name plaque had been removed but the room was still unoccupied. That did not surprise her as no students would normally start in the school after September. This corridor in particular was single rooms only so was primarily sixth formers.

A pair of boys came running around a corner and nearly ran straight into Tammy.

"Oh, shit!" said one. Tammy recognised them, they were supposed to be in the library.

"Walker! Keane! Come with me." She took them back to the form room, losing her own freedom for the remaining fifteen minutes of the period. Slowly the majority of the form returned, mostly to collect bags that had been left. Only Jenkins was unaccounted for.

Her phone pinged, Joan said she had found Jenkins outside her room. The group dispersed and Tammy left as a teacher arrived to take the next lesson in that room. She made her way to the common room for a coffee and a glance at the day's paper. It being a Monday there were no biscuits available until after lunchtime; the biscuit barrel was always emptied on a Friday by fair or foul means.

"Hey Tammy, I had this great idea to send some of my lot to practice their instruments, but the rooms were already all in use."

"Yeah, strange that."

She poured the near boiling water into her mug, covering the coffee grounds. She was still using the mug that Tom had brought to the school over a year earlier and saw no reason to change it, at least everyone knew whose it was.

"Strange indeed, as the rooms were being used by other year elevens?"

"A mystery John, a mystery."

"Funny, Tammy. By the way, my fiancée was a bit late up this morning."

"Don't blame me, I never saw how much Scotch she drank."

"Scotch? She never drinks it."

"There wasn't much choice at the Burns Supper."

Tammy had sat down and was sipping her drink. "Why didn't we know about this teacher training on Friday?"

"Don't know, Tammy, but I hear that your problem with Mr Carmichael prompted it."

"So it's diversity training is it?"

"Yes, plus a H&S refresher. I was also told there's a governor's meeting later."

"What's that about?"

"Building works I think, and the school prospectus needs to be revised."

Where does John get his information from, wondered Tammy? "What are you doing now? I'm heading into town."

"I don't know, I did all my homework at the weekend so I'm up to date."

"Sarah's got the new shop keys so I figured I might go and have a look."

"Tanya's in school so I'd be wandering around like a lost soul, and I'd still have the problem of getting back here."

"Fair enough."

The phone rang, one of the other sixth formers answered it.

"Tammy, Mrs Small wants you."

"Thanks."

"I get the feeling Tammy that your trip into town just got cancelled."

"You might be right."

She finished her coffee and went to the ladies loo on her way to Joan's room. A quick make-up check later she found herself at the door. The 'Occupied' light was on but Tammy knocked, hearing a muffled "Enter" from within.

She found Joan sat with Ryan Jenkins, who had clearly been crying, a box of tissues was nearby. Ryan was dressed in the standard St Andrews School uniform but it did not look like it fitted him very well. It certainly didn't look like he'd had the same growth spurt as most of his peers.

"Join us, Tammy."

Tammy was unsure what was happening although her imagination was turning two plus two into sixteen, or thirty two. Silence filled the room and it was clear no-one quite knew what to say. There was a little fridge in this room with bottled water so Tammy walked over and took three out then looked at Joan who shook her head. Tammy put one bottle back and gave one to Ryan whilst opening the third for herself.

Ryan sipped carefully from the bottle before putting it on the coffee table.

"Thank you, Miss Smart."

"It's Tammy in here."

"Thank you, Tammy."

"That's alright. Now, seeing how Mrs Small wouldn't ask me here for a reason, and I saw you on Saturday in town looking at girls' clothing, I guess there's something to be said?"

Joan glared at Tammy who picked her bottle back up for another sip.

Ryan hung his head down clearly not willing to answer yet. Tammy's phone pinged so she checked the message.

Any idea about ETA? Closing at lunchtime as the town's dead

She replied

Stuck in school

"Who was that, Tammy?"

"Sarah, why Joan?"

"It was a little inconsiderate."

"Inconsiderate? I was asked if I wanted to look around her new shop, which is connected to my Business Studies A Level. I've just told her not to wait for me as I have no idea if I can get into town."

Ryan burst into tears, Tammy grabbed her bag, stood and went towards the door.

"Wait, please." It came from behind her.

"Only if we're not wasting my time?"

"No."

"Okay." Tammy went back to the sofa and swept her skirt from under her as she sat. Ryan watched the action.

"I like how you do that."

"What, wind people up, annoy everyone within range?"

"No, your skirt."

"You learn it quickly if you're wearing a skirt."

"I wish I could."

In for a penny, thought Tammy.

"What do you call yourself?"

"Lori."

"Okay Lori, how many know this?"

"Just you and Mrs Small."

Great.

"Did I scare you on Saturday? Is that why you ran off?"

"Yes, but there was more."

"What was it?"

"I stole a top when she wasn't looking."

up
448 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ooh, sneaky.

does (s)he get the "petticoat punishment" ? :-)

Anne Margarete

another one!!!!!!

Crikey, there is definately something in the water supply in Thurso!. Shoplifting, not very classy, I do hope the school revives corporal punishment(evil grin, giggle) perhaps a good thrashing with a lochgelly and then made to work in Sarahs shop as reparation and perhaps Tammy should treat Lori to the "Works" to show her where this goes

Solid Recovery

Thanks for the new posting.

Bad on Tammy

littlerocksilver's picture

You do not answer text messages in the middle of a meeting like she did. The phone should have been silenced and put away until after the meeting was over.. That is just plain rude.

Portia

The meeting could have been better

tmf's picture

First thing first, Shiraz thanks fro this great tale.

For the meeting, IMHO; Tammy should on the get go tell Mrs Small that she was waiting some call from Mrs Bonney regarding her Business Studies A Level.
As the message came, she should excuse herself to answer it by going outside of the room or at least put some space around her.
Again IMHO Mrs Small should have been a little more proactive as what the meeting was about, instead of doing the silent part.

And now, what to do with that last sentence ?

With Love and Hugs tmf
Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness

Not Tammy's Finest Hour

joannebarbarella's picture

She was not very sympathetic to Ryan/Lori and was rude with the phone call. Mrs Small could also have been more forthcoming about the reason for the meeting.

Has Ryan been bullied?

Sounds like restitution time.......

D. Eden's picture

Can you see Lori working for Sarah? She needs to be held accountable and that would be one way to pay for the top she stole.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Looks like Sarah will be

Looks like Sarah will be getting a new employee and Lori will have a place to come out from hiding.

Reading all the comments

Reading all the comments already made, I found the ones I would have made being taken, so I will just say. Memo to Ryan: "Welcome aboard, Lori".

It is to be expected that a mostly all boys school

is going to have problems like this. At least they are getting the infrastructure to handle it instead of letting the students quietly kill themselves. Looks like they are even being supportive.

I've been through the misery, and wish younger people the option to avoid it if they can. It is much healthier.

Times are a changin'

Jamie Lee's picture

Teachers meeting for training and a reminder how the school, and laws, are changing is a Google thing. Sometimes what's considered an idle comment, or joke ends up rubbing some the wrong way. Friends can get away with this type banter, most times, but not a stranger or one who is not a close friend.

Tammy has very little tolerance for others who interrupt her plans. When her family or friends are hurting, she wants to try and help fix the problem. But with others, as with a hurting Ryan, she has no patience. Instead of sitting down next to Ryan, putting an arm around his shoulders, and speaking softly, asking him to tell her why he's hurting, she became indignant after finding out she wouldn't be able to get to the shop to inspect the new building. It wasn't right for her to answer the text message, but worse by becoming indignant. She was rude to Joan and unsympathetic to Ryan. Tammy needs a sit down with someone who will tell straight out that she's getting a fat head. Getting to big for her britches. Assuming more than she actually knows. She is a very insightful young lady, but not a sympathetic one a lot of the time.

Lori has been introduced, but will Lori be brave enough to allow others to meet her? And will Tammy remember her times with Angela, the times she push Angela to hard? The times where Angela almost folded? The time Angela jumped out the window?

Others have feelings too.

Ryan/Lori

They're in Year 11, so if they want to continue their studies, they'll be in the Sixth Form from September - so that's potentially nine months to build up confidence in a variety of situations and decide whether Ryan or Lori attends (and if Lori, by then she'd be in a better position than when Angela first came out). In the meantime, with the aid of a wig and makeup, it's possible Lori could assist at the shop (initially in the storeroom at the back and helping with the relocation) in much the same way as Tammy did the previous year.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!