Never Meddle in the Affairs of a Woman, Ch 15

Printer-friendly version

***

Chapter Fifteen

“Sometimes It’s Better to be Lucky . . .”

***

I leaned back in my seat and looked through the binoculars toward the building. Night had fallen but within the fenced in compound there was plenty of light.

“See anything?”

I looked over at Chris, “Not yet. Most of the employees have left but there are still way too many cars in the lot.”

Chris nodded, reached behind the seat, and pulled out a bag that held a pair of sandwiches.

“Are you hungry?”

“No, thanks.”

I returned to staring down at the compound and thought back to earlier. After Lana left, I’d felt a sense of restless energy, a need to be doing something. I’d also been very aware of Chris. I couldn’t help glancing at him and remembering the feeling of running my hands over his chest. The masculine scent that had filled my senses as I climbed over his body. The silky hard feeling of his cock in my hand and the way it had felt inside me. My thoughts had then drifted back to Berlin and my crotch had grown wet, ‘What’s wrong with me?’ I’d wondered. There was a part of me that knew that it was my own body I was lusting for and another part that didn’t care. ‘Is the spell still be affecting me?’ Except, that Diana had examined me and removed the remaining traces. I’d then glanced at Chris as he was bent over digging into the refrigerator looking for something, and the view of his tight round ass had made me even wetter. ‘I’ve got to get out of here, or I’m going to jump him right now.’ I’d thought.

Then, abruptly, I’d felt a different sense of urgency, like a tickle at the back of my neck. I knew that I needed to be doing something but what? In a moment of clarity I knew that we needed to leave the flat. I didn’t know how I knew it, but with Diana telling me I was a Seer, I decided to trust my instinct.

It took a few minutes to convince Chris but eventually we ended up in his ten year old Ford Focus. I knew from my trip out to the facility that it was in the country and after a quick discussion Chris explained that there was a road that ran along a small ridge to the north of the facility. I’d figured that, if we were going to raid the place, we ought to spend some time watching it. Although, the idea that we could just slip in and then get out again seemed pretty farfetched. Especially, now that I was looking at it.

“Chris, I just don’t see how we’re going to get inside.” I swung the binoculars to look at the gate guard. “I mean the first thing we’ll have to do is get past the gate. I’ve got your ID, but won’t they have flagged it?” Before he could respond I continued, “Also, assuming we can get past the guard, will I still have access to the building? The receptionist had to issue me a badge. How do I get you past her? Then the elevator allowed access based on each badge. The security agent had to put his card in the elevator slot. Then buttons lit up and he hit the one we went to. That would seem to indicate that your access is limited to what’s been coded to your profile.”

“Jackie, I know it’s a gamble, but hear me out.”

He swallowed the mouth full of roasted chicken sandwich and I felt like glaring. Chris was obviously enjoying a chance to eat meat again. The veggie sandwich in the bag held no real interest for me at the moment.

“The IT department is viewed as a second class within the corporation. The folks doing the research are the key players. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they forgot to talk to the IT department and tell them to turn off my access.”

I blew a strand of blonde hair out of my eyes and went back to watching the building. I wanted to argue the point but I had to admit that he knew these guys and this facility far better than me. For a few minutes the car was filled with the sound of eating. Before this I’d never realized how strong the smell of meat was. This made me wonder if it was because I was now a vegetarian or if it was simply because my sense of smell was much better in Kristina’s body.

“So what exactly did you do for the New World Research and Development Corporation?” I asked, mostly out of boredom.

“I graduated with a degree in graphic art with a specialty in three dimensional design. They hired me to assist the archeological department. They’d bring me an artifact, or rather a piece of an artifact, and I’d work with the archeological team to reproduce it.”

I glanced over at Chris, in the darkness he was a large shadow resting easily next to me. For some reason his presence made me feel . . . safer. My mind once again wandered back to that hotel room in Berlin and I felt my nipples start to get hard. I clamped down on that line of thought. The last thing I needed to be thinking about right now was sex. Even if I my body wanted it in the worst way! I turned back to the compound and brought the binoculars back up as he continued.

Chris took a sip of water and continued, “That sort of led to work with the team doing more esoteric research. At first I thought it was still just archeology. But they were doing things that didn’t make sense. I helped them reproduce a set of stone tablets and they were supper excited. I just couldn’t understand why. Then I went to visit my Grandma and met Elvira. I knew something was wrong and I was determined to understand what it was. Elvira was working as a researcher in the Arcane Investigation Branch of the Archeology department, so I hacked into the department’s files.”

I glanced over at Chris, “Yeah, and what did you find?”

He shook his head, “What I read was impossible. Arcane Investigation Branch, or AIB as they called themselves, had file after file talking about things that were what I assumed simply fantasy. Methods for capturing an elemental in a crystal. Using a combination of elemental magic and the laws of similarity to enhance fighting ability. The files went on and on, but it all seemed crazy to me. Then I stumbled on a video of the AIB doing a ritual. I saw things that had to be either some of the best special effects or magic. It took me a few days to come to the realization that magic was real.”

Chris stop talking and I could see that he was lost in thought. “So what did you do?”

Chris looked at me and shrugged, “I couldn’t understand why they hadn’t gone public with it. A discovery like this would change the way we all viewed the world. So I got a little suspicious. I mean, why is there so much security for a think tank? Why hide your results? Where did they get the funds for this place? And, most importantly, what did they do to Elvira to make her forget who I was? That’s when I found the records on the ritual.”

“The ritual?”

Chris nodded, “Yeah, and that’s when I got really scared. You see, the Syndicate had uncovered a ritual that could be done at certain times of the year at half dozen locations across Europe. The ritual allowed them to move the soul from one person’s body into another’s.”

“Wait a second, if you can only use the rite at certain specific times per year at specific locations, logistically that would be a nightmare. How do you replace a Senator or a Minister with your guy or gal? I mean you’ve got to get them to the right place at the right time, and do it without anyone knowing.”

“Yes, exactly. The problem the Syndicate has, using this spell, is access. Four of the six sites are to public to use. The two that are remote are only useful at certain times and I passed those locations on to the Society along with the other files I stole. They can set up security at the sites to make things even more difficult.” Chris gave me a self-satisfied smirk. “So even though it was an important new tool the rite was of limited value. Then I came along and helped them figure out how to freeze a rite into crystal. With the crystal method they didn’t need to have the victim at the correct location or even the right time of year. Cast the spell five or six times on the winter solstice and you’ve got five or six crystals all charged up and ready to go.”

Silence filled the car as I thought through the implications. “How is freezing a spell in a crystal different from what you did with your crystal back in Berlin?”

“I’m a witch. I’ve bonded my crystal and I use it as a focus. The power and the spell come from me, the crystal is sort of like a magnifying glass. There’s a big difference. For example I could give you my crystal and you wouldn’t be able to do anything with it. Because you don’t know any spells yet and you’re not attuned to my crystal. What the Syndicate now has, is the ability to store a specific spell into a crystal that anyone who knows the key word can release. Magical training or ability are unnecessary. That changes everything.”

“Do you think they have more body swap crystals?”

Chris nodded, “I think so, or at least from what I saw when I was in the vault they did. I only took one because that was the one spell the Society really wanted to study.”

“What does the Society want that spell for? To fix or undo some of the swaps they’ve discovered.”

“Yeah, and to understand how they’re freezing spells in crystal.”

“So was Diana lying to us when she said that we could learn to swap back on our own?”

“No, I don’t think so. I mean, I’m a witch. My area of strength is in spiritual magic. The body swap spell is almost pure spirit magic. The Society has replicated it between willing practitioners. In fact, Lukas told me about a couple of witches who swapped bodies for a while in the United States. I believe one of them lives in St. Louis. We could always go talk to him if we can’t figure this out on our own.”

“You mean a pair of witches working together to switch with each other?”

“That’s what both Lukas and Diana have said. Apparently, you’re a Seer. Which is a subset of Witchcraft. I think, Diana, believes that with training we can use the method the Society already knows about, and swap back.”

“But it would be a lot better if we had one of those crystals.”

At this Chris tilted his seat back and closed his eyes, “Yeah, a lot better.”

I returned to watching the compound. By now most of the cars had left and I brushed another strand of hair from my face.

“Why does my hair keep getting in the way? I’ve got it pulled back!”

“Hehehe, it’s because it’s so fine. It sort of slips out of ties, unless you tie it really tight.” With that he reached up to brush my hair. His fingers touched my cheek and ear as he tucked the offending lock behind my ear and I felt a thrill race through me and swatted his hand away.

“Stop pawing at me.”

“I like pawing at you. I think you liked it too.”

Again I felt my face flush, and my crotch was now damp and a little messy feeling. It made me wish I’d brought a change of underwear. I ignored my body, and Chris, and focused on the compound, anything to distract me from the signals my feminine flesh was sending me. ‘Why did Chris have to be so cute?’ I thought, and then froze. ‘Where the hell had that thought come from?’ I was so distracted by my inner drama that I almost missed it. Then I sat up straighter and focused.

“Did you see something?” Chris asked, seeing the shift in my body posture.

“Yeah, I think we’ve found the good Dr. Mengele.”

“Let me see!” Chris practically grabbed the binoculars from me and focused on the compound. “Yes.” he hissed, “that’s him.” Then after a few seconds, “What do you think he’s got in that briefcase?”

“I don’t know, but I think, regardless of what’s in the case, it’s time we had a chat with the good Doctor.”

“Agreed!” With that he handed me the binoculars and started the car.

“Uhm, Chris, for this one, maybe I should be driving.”

“Nonsense. This is my car, and I know the area. Besides,” he glanced over at me with a wide grin, “I’m the man and driving is a man’s job.”

I could tell he was teasing so I hit him in the shoulder, “Chauvinist pig.”

As it turned out it was a good thing Chris was driving. He knew the roads much better than me. We lost sight of the Doctor but he wasn’t worried there was really only one way onto the main road. We reached it first and waited for the Mercedes to pull onto it and then got behind him. Tailing the doctor turned out to be pretty easy since he didn’t head into the city, as I’d expected.

Instead he drove for the coast. It had to be getting close to midnight when he pulled off into a parking area with a view of the English Channel. We’d been following him for the whole drive and had at times allowed as much separation as a kilometer now we continued past the parking area. As we did, I could see another car already waiting.

“It’s some kind of drop.” I said as we drove by.

“So, now what?”

“The road turns up there, as soon as we’re out of sight kill the lights and turn this thing around.”

Chris glanced at me, “What are you thinking?”

“The time for subtlety is over. Time for a frontal assault.”

The great thing about a Ford Focus is that it’s a small relatively quiet car. Once we’d turned around, I made sure that we not only killed the headlights but the dash lights as well. Then I made a quick trip out behind the car with a roll of duct tape and the tail lights were quickly covered. We spent a few minutes letting our eyes adjust to the darkness and I rolled down my window. The night air was cold and the sound of the ocean crashing against the shore seemed very loud.

“Alright, let’s do this, take it nice and slow.”

At 15 kph it felt like we were just creeping along but I wanted to get as close as possible before they spotted us. If there was a meeting going on, they’d be inside one of the two cars, due to the cold, and they wouldn’t hear us. If we were doubly lucky they’d have a light on and their night vision would be ruined. If that was the case they wouldn’t be able to see us either, or at least that’s what I was hoping.

We pulled into the parking area and I could see the two cars. The dome light was on in one and it was easy to pick out three people inside.

“Stop here,” I hissed and was out as soon as we came to a halt. I silently wished I had my trusty 9mm. Instead, I’d have to make do with surprise and the lady’s cricket bat I’d found in the back of Kristina’s closet. It was small enough and light enough that I’d thought I’d be able to carry it under my coat into the facility. It was made of wood so I knew it would have made it through the metal detector. Now, there was no need to hide it. I reached the driver’s side of the sedan and pulled open the door and grabbed the first thing I saw.

This, as it turned out, was a thick black braid. I grabbed the hair with my free hand and took a full step back and twisted, using my legs and hips to add strength to the move. Surprisingly, the woman flew out and a part of me realized she was much smaller than me. Then Chris was at the passenger’s side and held a glowing crystal in his hand.

I turned back to face the person I’d dragged from the car just in time to block a high kick. That was just a set up for the hammer fist that connected to my forearm. Unfortunately, that was the hand holding the cricket bat. I dropped it and then was on full defensive, as the woman came at me in a series of punches and kicks. I barely had time to notice that on the other side of the car, colored lights seemed to flash back and forth between Chris and the doctor.

Finally the assault slowed a little and I tried a quick leg kick and felt a little satisfaction as my shin connected with the smaller woman’s outer thigh. The move startled her, and I grinned.

“Classically trained, are we? Maxwell, or would you prefer it if I called you Max?”

The assassin glared at me, “In public, I go by Elvira.” Then she glanced over my shoulder, “Bruce, stay back!”

When she spoke I realized that the third person in the car had been moving around behind me. Looking for a way to help take me down.

“I’ve got this bitch, either go help Josef, or stay out of my way.”

“I bet going from being such a big strong guy to being stuck in that soft, weak, little body was quite an adjustment.” In the dark I couldn’t see if my taunting was having any affect. “Although from what I can see, your current body is an upgrade from your old one.”

“Bitch, I should have let Mengele finish you in Berlin. He can be very creative when he starts experimenting.” Max replied.

“So was it hard to watch Mengele blow the head off your original body, or was it more of a relief? Knowing that you’d never have to go back to being a man?”

“Cunt! I’m gonna kill you with my bare hands.”

I motioned for the smaller woman to attack. I knew that she was fast and flexible, but I figured I’d already taken her best shot. I was wrong. She fooled me with a superman punch that I only partly blocked it. The sting of her fist grazing my chin surprised me. I managed to jam her round house to my ribs but that was only the set up for a spinning back fist. She was moving faster than I’d have thought possible and I was almost completely on the defensive. This made me wonder if she was somehow augmenting her physical abilities with magic. I blocked the back-fist and missed the back kick that had accompanied it and pain exploded in my right breast.

“Fuck!”

The bitch had hit me there on purpose! I wasn’t ready for how much that hurt and she pressed her advantage. In desperation I lunged forward in a double-leg shoot. The wrestling move caught her off guard because she didn’t even try to counter it with a sprawl.

We hit the ground together with Max on the bottom. She might not have been a wrestler but she had some training in ground fighting because Max immediately wrapped her legs around my waist and pulled me into her guard. I leaned back and tried to use my size advantage to drop an elbow into her face but she blocked it. Of course that had only been a distraction I reached down with my left hand and pushed her right leg down so I could pass into side control. Then Max made her first serious mistake of the fight.

She tried to roll onto her stomach to push herself to her feet. I seized the opportunity and scrambled with her dropping one leg over her hip from behind and pushed it between her legs while reaching around her exposed neck with my right arm. As soon as the crook of my arm was under her chin I grabbed the inside of my left elbow with my right hand. Now I bent my left arm locking my right hand in place with my left elbow. This allowed me to use both arms to squeeze the arteries on either side of her neck.

Max tried to get her chin under my arm but the choke was already in place. She tried to grab my arm and lost her balance and fell onto her face. This allowed me to weave my other leg around, under, and between her legs. Now I was in back control, with a double under hook, and a rear naked choke. I started to stretch her out and knew it was only a matter of time.

Within a second she went limp. I held it for another slow three count before I let go. I knew she’d only be out for a few seconds so I had to move quickly. I pulled the belt off my jeans and tied her hands behind her back with it. Then I pulled off the slim white leather belt she’d been wearing and used it to tie her legs together. Once done I realized I was exhausted. My breathing was ragged and I felt bruises starting to form that I hadn’t felt when I was fighting.

Then a flash of light caught my attention and I looked up to see that Dr. Mengele had backed Chris up so that he was now fighting with his back to the Mercedes. Chris looked desperate. Clearly the doctor was more experienced and this was now showing. I got up and looked around for the cricket bat I’d dropped. It took me a second to find it and then I was up and moving. Even in that short amount of time things had changed. Up until then the flashes of light had struck what looked like a half dome of invisible energy around Chris. The shield would flare up when hit and then disappear again. As I stood up I saw the shield collapse and Chris drop to a knee. From his hand the crystal he’d been using crumbled to dust.

“You are far more gifted than I’d thought, Kristina.” Mengele said. “I think Mr. Drake would be willing to offer you a place within the Syndicate. Provided you are willing to accept a geis or two.”

As he talked I moved around the car and got ready to rush him. I made it one step before he lifted a hand and I froze. My muscles clinched up and I was unable to move.

“Now, now, now, James is that anyway to treat an old friend?” He looked at me and chuckled, “I’m impressed that you were able to overcome my conditioning. You should have been, how do kids these days say it? Oh, yes, fucking like rabbits, until the security team arrived at the hotel.” Now he turned his back to Chris and moved toward me. “And you managed to take down Ms. Jackson in a fight. Yes, I think the two of you will make a nice addition to the Syndicate. What do you think Mr. MacAskill?”

For the first time I remembered the guy that Max had told to go help Josef. He now stepped forward and I got my first good look at him, my breath caught at his familiar features. I glanced at Chris and saw that he’d struggled to his feet but he had a defeated look on his face. Without his magic we didn’t stand a chance against Dr. Mengele.

“I think, that the Syndicate would love to get these two up to Scotland. A months’ worth of conditioning and a geis to ensure loyalty. Yes, quite a catch . . . or not!”

As he said this last part he swung something at the back of Josef’s neck. There was a dull thud that punctuated the word “not” as the leather tube filled with sand struck. Mengele’s eyes rolled back in his head and he slid to the ground. As soon as he did I felt whatever force that had been holding me unlock and I stumbled forward.

“Who are you?” Chris asked, moving toward me, but looking at the guy who’d hit Mengele.

“He introduced himself as Mr. Black to me.” I said, reaching out to grab Chris’s arm.

“I never met Mr. Black in person, but we talked by phone.”

At this the man nodded, “I’m sorry for the trickery. My real name isn’t Black. It’s actually Bruce MacAskill. I’m a member of the Society but I’ve been working undercover from within the Syndicate. I’m afraid that after today my cover is blown.”

“Thank you, I think.” I said, and I felt Chris slip an arm around my waist. I wasn’t sure if he was trying to hold me up or if I was holding him up.

Bruce looked at me, “So, you are really James Frost?” I nodded. Then he looked at Chris, “And you’re really Kristina Curtis?” At this Chris nodded.

“When we met at the coffee shop, you’d already used the crystal?”

I nodded.

“Well, this is a right mess. Let’s see if it was worth it, beyond freeing the two of you and capturing a pair of Syndicate operatives.”

With that he moved to the car they’d been in when we arrived. Mr. MacAskill pulled out the brief case I’d seen Mengele carrying and sat it on the hood of the still running car. We both moved around to see what was inside and my breath caught. The case had been lined with a black foam and nestled into the foam were six crystals the size of my fist. They each sparkled with different colors and even from here, with my limited ability to sense magic, I could tell they were enchanted.

“Ah, yes, I think we’ve hit the jackpot.” Bruce said and glanced over at me.

Then I heard a moan come from Mengele. “What about them?”

“My own magical gift is weak, but I think I can handle this one.”

With that MacAskill moved over to Mengele and pulled out a small crystal. He touched it to Josef’s forehead and said, “Sleep.” There was a light purple flash and Josef’s body went limp. Then he moved around to where Elvira was struggling against the belts. She looked over at him and I could see the fury in her eyes.

“Bruce, you traitor. Drake will hunt you down for this. You’ll never be safe!”

MacAskill shrugged, “I was never really a member of the Syndicate, Max. You know, I’d have thought with that new body, you would have mellowed out a bit. Although, I must say, being a woman does suit you.”

“Fuck you.” Max snarled.

“Not today, thank you.” Then Bruce pressed the crystal to Max’s forehead and there was another flash of purple light.

Then he stood up and looked around. “I think it’s time to go.”

I nodded, “What’s next? Will one of the crystals in the case swap us back?”

“I have no idea. They need to be fully examined by a Society Adept to know what they do.”

“We need to get back to Mexico then, right?” Chris asked.

“Yes,” Bruce said, nodding. “The London Great Coven has a private Jet, a Gulfstream. I need to call Gwendolyn, she’ll be pissed at being disturbed at this time of night, but I’m sure she’ll agree that this is an emergency and help us out.” He looked at the two unconscious villains. “I hope you’re okay with abandoning your car for a time. I think we can all fit into the Mercedes and it would be better to stay together at this point.”

I nodded in agreement and looked over at Chris. He flashed me a smile, “Mexico, here we come.”

***

I’d never been in a Gulfstream G 5 before, but once we were airborne I realized it was the only way to travel. The regional airport had been a forty minute drive and the airplane had been in a hangar. Luckily it was already gassed up and the pilots were going through pre-engine start checks when we arrived. We were able to drive into the hangar and then I watched as Chris and Bruce carried our unconscious friends up the boarding ladder into the cabin.

I’m not sure exactly how they handled customs since I never saw an agent. Almost as soon as I was in the aircraft the door was being closed and we were towed clear of the hangar. It was now about two in the morning and apparently the traffic was light because we had almost no delay getting cleared for takeoff. I settled into a wide leather seat next to a window and looked at Chris sitting next to me. There were two more chairs facing us and Bruce was in one of them. Toward the back of the aircraft in another pair of chairs our two guests slept.

“How long will they stay out?” Chris asked.

“About four hours each time I use the spell. So I’ll have to renew it a couple times since this is a ten hour flight.”

I thought about asking him one of the ten thousand questions that had been racing through my mind but settled on one for now.

“What were you doing out there tonight?”

At this MacAskill chuckled. “I got a call from Ms. Jackson there,” he nodded toward the sleeping form of Elvira. “I guess she was running a team looking for the two of you in Germany. Anyway, she wasn’t having any luck because of Society interference. So she asked Mengele for a little magical help.” MacAskill shook his head, “Ms. Jackson, is a killer, but she doesn’t have any aptitude for magic. So she needed crystals with spells already locked into them for her to use.” At this he paused as if seeming lost in thought.

“Okay, so why were you there?” Chris prompted.

“Oh, well, I have a modest talent and the Syndicate uses me mostly as a courier and a driver.” At this he chuckled. “Not a bad position for a spy. Anyway, Max asked me to pick her up at the airport and arrange for a rendezvous with Mengele. Evidently she didn’t want to go into the compound because she was supposed to be in Germany. Mengele wanted to meet with her because he wanted to explain what each crystal does, and to impress on Max that she needed to be careful.”

“Why wouldn’t Mengele just demand a meeting at the compound?” I asked.

“Mengele is a powerful Necromancer and he loves to experiment. To try out new spells on human test subjects. Mr. Drake is very careful about what he lets Mengele do, so this was a chance to try out a few new things, on human test subjects. Mengele couldn’t resist, but he couldn’t afford for Mr. Drake to find out. At the same time Ms. Jackson needed a fast trip to the UK and didn’t want any hassles. I’ve worked with both of them before, and Mengele wanted me to return to Germany with Max, to make sure that she used the crystals properly.”

“So, what would you have done if we hadn’t stumbled on you?” Chris asked.

“I would have gone with them and tried to contact the Society once in Germany. Then we would have set up an ambush and taken the crystals.”

“Then we saved you and the Society a lot of trouble.” I noted.

Bruce nodded, “Yes, and now if you’re done asking questions. I’m going to renew that spell on our friends and take a nap.” He took a quick look at his watch and muttered something about it being almost three in the morning, before he got up and moved toward our sleeping villains.

By this time the plane had leveled off so I kicked off my shoes and reclined the chair. I was surprised that it almost turned into a bed and rolled onto my side. A nap sounded just about perfect.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay! James did not lose the

Yay! James did not lose the ability to fight, and still thinks like an operative. But what is going to happen when James opens those compartments and processes all that has happened?

Me, I would simply open the

Me, I would simply open the door and see how well the two of them could fly and then swim once they hit the ocean below. But then I am rather mean that way.