Jessica's Story - Part 6

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 6

An eventful summer gets more eventful, as Anne finds herself in an awkward situation with her daughters. Jessica finally gets to attend school as her true self, and gets new friends in the process.

Jessica's Story – Part 6

Sally dropped them off at their house, but at Anne's insistance, came in for a cup of tea.

“I say Anne, you certainly look different. But it does suit you.” said Helen, on seeing Anne's new hair style.

“I've always wanted to try red, but I wasn't sure whether Adam would like it. Now he's no longer around, I thought why not?” said Anne.

“Speaking of which, we bumped into that creep whilst shopping. Got some blonde slapper at his side. Had the cheek to come up to us and then started insulting us.” said Sally. “We just gave him insults back.”

Helen just shook her head. She then turned her attention to the girls.

“Well, two little princesses. Sandra, your hair looks wonderful, yours too Jessica.”

“It's too short!” said Jessica, for the umpteenth time.

“We've told her it will grow and even better now.” said Anne. “She has a style which shouts 'Jessica is staying!'”

The girls decided then to go upstairs. Both wanted to see their new styles again. Sandra was clearly pleased with hers and was asking Jessica to feel it.

“It's like I've got more hair on my head. It bounces too!” she said, swishing it.

“I think you look better sis.” said Jessica. “I hope my hair looks as good as yours.”

“It will sis. You may look better than me.” said Sandra.

Jessica had reached for a brush and worked on her hair. She then went to do Sandra's.

“No, I've been told not to brush it too much. The curls will disappear if I do.” said Sandra.

“So, you're not gonna brush your hair no more?” said Jessica, a little sad.

“I'll still have to brush it, but not so often. I'll just need to go to the hairdressers to have my curls done again.” she said, looking in the mirror again. “I really like it like this!”

Downstairs the adults were having their cups of tea.

“Anne, I was just remembering, did you contact any of the gender support groups yet?” said Sally

“No, I haven't. With the divorce and my new job, I've had my hands full. I did go to the library a few weeks back but their internet protocols block the sites. I did get some leaflets though.” said Anne.

She found the leaflets and handed them to Sally for her to look at.

“I think this website blocking is a little over handed at times. Just to please those who find the subject offensive, never mind keeping children off them.” said Sally. “Still, you got these. You'll find them helpful, especially if you need to get round any red tape concerning Jessica. There are some specifically for TG people, while others deal with gays and bi's too. I do suggest you contact one, they might be able to help in ways I cannot.”

“I suppose it will help. I did notice that one is quite close by. I'll pop round when I get the chance.”

“Great, now how about school? I've heard you got her in okay?” asked Sally.

Oh, sure! The headmistress was very ok with it. Apparently her hubby is a cross dresser.” said Anne.

“Really?! What's the name?” asked Sally.

“Fletcher.” said Anne.

“Might have heard of him. Get so many at our shop, know the faces better than the names.” said Sally.

“Well, it's ok. Jessica is going as a girl and hopefully there won't be any problems. I think she is a little worried though, that someone might recognise her.” said Anne.

“I couldn't say, for I never saw her as a boy. But she looks very much a girl to me.” said Sally.

“The last time I saw her as a boy was at Christmas. To see her now, you wouldn't think they were the same. I can't see how anyone could recognise her.” said Helen.

“Well, it's possible some may recognise her. But as you say, I think her fears are a little unjust.” said Anne. “To think, I've got to get her some skirts for school.”

“Whats wrong with that?” asked Sally.

“Last year, I was buying Peter his uniform and he asked for a skirt. I didn't take it kindly and told him off. It was the same day I caught him wearing Sandra's clothes. That very day started this whole chain of events.” she said, tears forming.

“Well, don't take it hard on yourself, Anne. It's because of this that you have Jessica now.” said Helen.

“I know! And I told him he could become Jessica, in the hope that he might back out. It's not going to happen now. It did feel bad at first, but seeing Jessica becoming the girl she is, has softened the blow. I'm feeling happy for her.” said Anne.

“And so you should.” said Sally. “You offered her the help she needed, and you've got a wonderful daughter as a reward.”

* * *

Sally made her visits more often from then on, because Anne found her a great person to talk to, and the small matter of her knowing a bit about the TG community. The summer holidays were almost over and the matter of getting two girls ready for school loomed.

With work influencing her week, Anne found she had to rely on Helen to do some of the shopping each week. It then became easier to go to a major supermarket with late opening hours. But as for other shopping, she did have alternate Saturdays off work. It was one of those Saturdays when she decided to get Jessica a few belated school items – the skirts she had so wanted.

“Well, I'm sorry it's took a year to get them, but you can now wear a skirt to school.” she said.

Jessica insisted on seeing herself in her girls uniform upon getting home. She had to show Sandra.

“Well, you are now a schoolgirl, sis!” said Sandra, giving Jessica a hug.

“It feels so good to be wearing the correct uniform.” smiled Jessica.

Anne also decided to go round to the local LGBT group at the next available opportunity. She decided that Jessica should come too. They took place every month on a weekday evening. She found it in the back streets, not far from where most of the gay bars were found.

“Can I help you?” said a short haired woman as they entered.

“I'm here for the LGBT meeting. I've brought my daughter along.” said Anne.

“Ok, come in. Just need to know why you are here?” said the woman.

“My daughter here is actually a boy. She is now going full time.” said Anne.

“Well, I never! You look too pretty to be a boy. How old are you?” said the woman, now turning to Jessica.

Jessica just remained quiet.

“She's 6 years old. She doesn't usually talk to strangers.” said Anne.

“Oh, so that's why you're quiet. Well, you're welcome here.” said the woman. “So you're here just to get advice or maybe to be a campaigner?” she said to Anne.

“The first mainly. I was told to join a group by my sister-in-law: she's transgendered too.”

“Ok, so come in. The meeting will start in a few minutes, help yourselves to drinks and biscuits.”

They entered a large room with a circle of chairs at the centre. Everyone was standing around chatting. A table was nearby with with bottles of pop and plates of various biscuits. It was clear in most cases whether each person was gay or transgendered. Some were androgynous in appearance and others not. Anne thought Sally might be there but there was no sign of her. Only thanks to Jessica, did she find someone she did know.

“Kelly! What are you doing here?” asked Jessica, noticing her best friend.

“My mommy brought me here, but I don't know why.” she said. “Hi Ms Smith!”

“Kelly? If you're here then..” said Anne.

“I'd be here too.” said Julia, walking towards her.

“Well, what are you doing here? You don't need to come here, surely?” asked Anne.

“Well, I do. I need to help my daughter understand one thing: I'm gay.” said Julia.

Anne just stared. “You're gay?!”

“I know, I've got some explaining to do. My divorce was on account of this very fact. I didn't want the break up but my husband insisted. I suppose I shouldn't have married him in the first place, but I wanted to be a mother and prove to my parents that I could be straight. I was wrong. I found a woman who felt for me as I felt for her. My husband found out, as did my parents. I was disowned and left with a daughter.” said Julia with a sigh.

“You kept Kelly? Surely your husband would have won custody of her?” asked Anne.

“He could have, and perhaps should have, but declined. You see, Kelly is me in miniature. She looks so much like me, that he turned her away all because she would remind him of me. Anyway, he'd already found himself his next wife before the divorce was finalised.”

“But you're not seeing anyone now?” asked Anne.

“No, the relationship broke up. I moved up here with Kelly to get away from my family. I've just come here because I need Kelly to understand me. I want a sexual partner, but its going to be hard for her to understand that her mother likes other women.” said Julia

“It's going to be hard for her when other people start taunting her over it.” said Anne.

“Exactly. I know the taunts too well.” Julia replied.

“Well, you did cheat on your husband, so I'm not exactly ok with that. Kelly still needs a mother and surely that counts priority.” said Anne.

“I'm not arguing with you, you are right, I made the wrong move and now I must pay for it.”

“Well, I'm having to make up for some mistakes, if thats any help.” said Anne.

“How?”

“For not seeing that my son is really a girl at heart. I'm now hoping Jessica can live a happy life as a woman in the future.”

Both looked to their daughters who were chatting away happily. Jessica's hairstyle and talk of school were the subjects of note.

The meeting was soon ready to start and everybody took a seat, except for Jessica and Kelly, who both stood by their mothers. A few extra chairs had to be found.

“Good evening ladies and gentlemen.” said the group leader. “Glad to have you all here, and I'm glad too say we have some new members to our group. He pointed to both Anne and Julia in turn. They stood up and introduced themselves.

“My name is Julia Brier and I'm a gay mother of one.” said Julia.

“My name is Anne Smith and my 6 year old son is becoming a girl.” said Anne.

There was a chorus of voices as they received welcomes from the other members. After this, the group leader went onto make further announcements. Kelly and Jessica were obviously getting bored, due to the talking not making any sense to them. After the notices had been read, he offered everyone in the circle to explain their activities for the past month, whether it be coming to terms with their sexuality or coping with friends and family. Eventually, Julia had her turn and she explained in more detail how her marriage had collapsed due to her gay affair and how she now faced explaining this to her daughter.

It soon came to Anne to explain how her son Peter had come out as transgendered and was now almost 2 months in full time life as Jessica. She also added how this had resulted in her divorce and how she had also made friends with her transsexual sister-in-law. Jessica was brought forward for all to be seen. She wasn't at all keen on the attention, though none of it seemed bad.

Both were asked questions by the other people in the circle and compliments/criticisms were given as well as advice on what they should/shouldn't do. The whole meeting certainly proved uninteresting for both girls and both showed it. Both Anne and Julia were glad when it was over, merely for the sake of their daughters.

“Ok, it obviously was boring for you. You can stay at home next time.” said Anne to Jessica.

“I would do likewise, but I've no one to babysit.” said Julia.

“Kelly could always stop at our house. You know Jessica and Sandra love having her round.” said Anne.

“Yes, thats an idea. By the way, I like your hair – it suits you!” said Julia.

“Thanks, wanted to try this colour a while.” said Anne, her cheeks turning red.

“You're blushing! Why Anne, what is it?”

“Am I?” said Anne, sounding embarrassed. “I'd better be going! Come on Jessica.” she said and hurried out.

“Thanks for coming, Anne. I'm sure Jessica will make a fine woman.” said the short haired woman, whose name had been revealed to be Claire.

Julia left the building with Kelly, eager to speak to Anne. But by the time they left, Anne and Jessica were long gone.

* * *

“What's wrong mommy?” asked Jessica as they headed home. “Why did you blush?”

“It was nothing, nothing at all. I'm just a little flustered, thats all.” said Anne, sounding far from convincing.

“So what were you talking about?” asked Jessica, deciding to change the subject.

“It's hard to explain. You're too young to understand.” said Anne, sounding more relaxed.

“I found it boring.” she said.

“I know you did, sweetheart. Next time you can stay at home.” said Anne.

When they arrived home, Jessica stayed up for just a while longer, only because she had been promised a cup of hot chocolate. Sandra was also up.

“Anne, whats up? You look a little out of sorts?” said Helen.

“Just saw Julia there too. That's all.” she said.

“Julia? What was she doing there?” asked Helen.

“Julia is gay. Her divorce happened because she had an affair with another woman. Now I'm really confused about myself. I blushed when she complimented my new hairstyle.”

“You still have feelings for her, don't you?” asked Helen.

“Half my mind says yes, the other half says keep it platonic.” said Anne, glancing to see if the girls were listening. “I don't know how I'd cope if I did end up falling for her. The kids for instance! To make things worse, I think she suspects I like her.”

“You need to talk to her, if that's the case. If you want to keep the friendship platonic, I'm sure she would respect that.” said Helen.

Helen took the mugs of hot chocolate into the living room where the girls were seated.

“What's wrong with mommy?” asked Jessica. “I asked why she blushed but she didn't sound ok.”

“Your mom has some thinking to do and it's best if you leave her alone.” said Helen. Anne had decided to take her hot chocolate to bed with her.

“This makes things better? I really want to kiss her.” said Anne, to herself. Thoughts of Julia went through her head, and now the thoughts of kissing her felt better than ever.

“So, what was this meeting like?” asked Helen to Jessica.

“Boring, just talking. Mommy said she won't take me next time.” said Jessica, sipping her chocolate.

“Meetings usually are just talking. Not much fun for youngsters.” agreed Helen.

They remained up till their drinks were finished and Helen tucked them into bed.

Anne didn't say a word the following morning and left for work as normal.

Helen was left to look after the three kids for most of the day. The only thing of note to happen was a phone call.

“Hello, who's speaking?” said Helen

“Hi, it's Julia Brier, is Anne there?”

“No, she's at work. Is this about what I think it is?” said Helen.

“I would like to speak to her in private, face to face. Can you tell her that when she comes back?”

“Ok, I will.” said Helen, putting the phone down.

When Anne returned, Helen told her about the call when the girls were not around.

“So, I guess she wants to know how I feel about her?” said Anne. “Ok, I'll see her on Saturday.”

That Saturday was the last one of the summer holidays. Anne had got the day off, so was able to see Julia. The girls saw an opportunity to see Kelly so they managed to persuade Anne to take them.

Upon getting there, they were told to go up to Kelly's room and stay there for a while.

“So, you want to talk?” said Anne.

“Yes, I think we have something important to talk about.” said Julia.

They sat down in the living room and listened for the girls. They were clearly playing.

“Tell me honestly Anne. Do you find me attractive?” asked Julia.

“You are an attractive woman, but I'm not attracted to you, if thats what you mean.” said Anne, her voice not convincing.

“I'm just thinking back to the time you blushed the other night. It wasn't the reaction I was expecting from you. Sure, I was expecting a thank you, but you were embarrassed. Is it because I'm gay?

“No, it's not.” said Anne, still not convincing.

“So what then? I want us to be friends but if you're going to keep things from me, then something has gotta be done. I won't be offended, what's wrong?”

“I....I do have feelings for you. I just don't want to go through with it!” said Anne feeling ashamed.

“Why didn't you say so in the first place? I'm happy just being friends with you.” said Julia, seeming happy to have got to the truth.

“I'm not sure, I really am attracted to you.” said Anne, and with that, leaned forward and placed her lips on Julia's.

Julia pulled back. “I do think you're an attractive woman and I would gladly make love to you, but is this truly what you want?”

Anne just looked into her eyes. “Yes, it is.” and kissed her again. This time Julia returned the kiss.

The three girls had been talking about school again, and more so again: hair. Sandra was getting a little more attention with her new curly style. Jessica was feeling a little jealous again, seeing how much better hair was when beyond shoulder length. The day she could have her hair like that couldn't come soon enough in her opinion.

Having seen both Kelly and Sandra style their hair into ponytails, Jessica went over to the dolls house and started playing.

“What is it? It's about hair again, isn't it?” asked Kelly. “We know how you feel, we want you to have your hair as long as ours. We can't wait for it to grow either.”

“So you want to play dolls house? Fine by me.” said Sandra. Soon all three were playing when their play was halted by a slight problem.

“Oh dear! Her head's fell off!” said Kelly as one of the small dolls had indeed lost its head. “I'll go and ask mommy to fix her. Won't be long.”

“Mommy, one of my dolls needs fixing, can you plea........” Kelly started to say when she noticed Julia and Anne kissing one another. She just stood there with her mouth slightly open, the doll falling from her grasp.

Julia caught sight of her out of the corner of her eye and immediately stopped. Anne wondered why the halt and looked. Kelly had turned and headed back up the stairs.

“Kelly! Wait!” called Julia.

Anne just looked at Julia, her face was wracked with guilt.

* * *

“That was quick, hold on, where's the doll?” asked Sandra, before noticing the look on Kelly's face.

“What's up?!” asked Jessica.

“Your mommy, my mommy and they were KISSING!” she cried.

“Kissing?! Our mommys were kissing?!” cried Sandra. Jessica was also shocked.

“I thought mommies only kissed daddies?” asked Jessica.

Julia came in moments later and her face was wracked with guilt.

“I'm so sorry. I didn't think you'd see what happened. I let it go too far. It will never happen again. Did you want this fixed?” she said, holding up the broken doll.

“Yes I did.” said Kelly “But why?”

“It's complicated. I wasn't expecting this. I should say sorry to you two as well.” she said to Sandra and Jessica. “I'll get you some drinks.”

With that, she left and headed downstairs.

“I suppose we should end it now.” said Anne, looking annoyed with herself. “It's my fault! I shouldn't have come on to you!”

“I should have backed off completely.” said Julia. “I'm just as much to blame.”

“I still want you.” Anne said sadly.

“I want you too, but for the sake of our kids, it cannot be. If word got out that we were seeing one another, what would people think? Surely its enough with a transgendered child. You mustn't put her life in further difficulty.”

“You're right, the children must come first. We just need to explain to them what just happened.” said Anne.

“I'm not sure where to start. That advice I got the other day has slipped my mind.” said Julia.

“If the girls accepted us, would you continue?” asked Anne.

“Explaining it to them is first priority, but if things did work out, I would.” said Julia, planting another kiss on Anne's lips. She then turned to the kitchen to get some promised drinks.

“Does this mean our mommies like each other?” suggested Jessica.

“A lot!” said Kelly. “I don't know what it is about kissing but grown ups do it a lot. It looks disgusting.”

“But kissing is a sign of love!” said Sandra. “Prince Charming shows his love for the princess by giving her true love's kiss!”

“But Prince Charming is a man. You don't hear of two princesses kissing!” said Kelly.

“So what? I love romantic stories.” sighed Sandra.

“Are they going to get married now?” asked Jessica.

“I don't know. I thought that involved mommies and daddies, not mommies and mommies.” said Kelly.

“If it happened, we could live together!” said Sandra.

Kelly and Jessica agreed with that notion. They really enjoyed each others company, but the thought of having two mommies was still not favourable.

“I've got your drinks.” said Julia, carrying a tray with three glasses of orange squash.

“Do you and mommy want to get married?” asked Jessica.

“What makes you think that?” asked Julia, surprised at the question.

“Well, we could live together. But please, no more yucky kissing please!” Jessica continued.

Julia didn't answer, she couldn't think of one. She returned downstairs and told Anne.

“Anne, your youngest daughter just asked if were thinking of getting married!”

“What?! What ever put that thought in her head?” asked Anne, looking equally surprised.

“I don't know, but kids imaginations are liable to run wild. She did insist on no 'yucky' kissing.” said Julia.

“Is this getting better or worse?” asked Anne.

“I don't know!” said Julia. “But the thought is nice.”

A little while later, the girls came down with empty glasses.

“Oh good, I was about to give you a shout.” said Anne. “Time to go.”

As they left, Sandra turned to Anne. “Going to give her a goodbye kiss?”

Anne just looked at her and shook her head. Julia just smiled.

“Who teaches them to be cheeky?” Anne asked. “Come on you two!”

* * *

Back home, the story soon got to Helen.

“You've landed yourself in some trouble then?” she said.

“I have. Julia and I were kissing when Kelly inadvertantly caught us at it.” said Anne, not looking at ease.

“You kissed her?” said Helen. “And our two didn't see it?”

“No, but Kelly gave them a good description of what happened by the sound of it. I think I went too far, I shouldn't have gone to see her.”

“It's too late for that, whats done is done and now you've gotta explain it all again.”

“If it wasn't for the kids, we would make a go of it. Do you think I'd still fancy men?”

“There's no reason why not. It would be better if you did, but even then, the kids would have to have a say in the matter.” said Helen.

“When you say better, you mean as society sees it? I'm already at odds with society because I have a son who is becoming a beautiful girl, so why worry about offending it again.”

“You're not regretting that again?” said Helen.

“No, I'm not. Jessica is a girl and my daughter. Society has created rules that are in cases impossible to obey!” said Anne defiantly.

“So, you prefer Julia to a man at this time?” said Helen.

“I do. She makes me feel wanted. If I could talk the girls into accepting it, I'd have her.” said Anne.

“Well, you'll need to talk to them anyway. But it's your life – and the kids' too.”

“I suppose I'd better do it now.” said Anne.

She found Sandra and Jessica in their room.

“I'd like to have a word with you two if you don't mind.” she said.

The girls turned to her and gave her their attention.

“It's about Kelly's mommy, isn't it?” asked Sandra.

“Yes, it is. It's difficult to say, but I have fallen in love with her.” said Anne.

“That means more kissing, doesn't it?” asked Jessica.

“It would, but I'm asking you: do you want me to be with her?”

“Only if it means no kissing.” said Jessica.

“What's with this 'no kissing'?” asked Anne.

“Kissing is horrible, it certainly looks it.” was the reply.

“You may change your mind in a few years time.” said Anne.

“I won't!” said Jessica.

“In a few years a lot can change, and it will.” said Anne.

“No!” said Jessica defiantly.

“If we don't see the kissing, I suppose it would be ok.” said Sandra.

Jessica wasn't answering.

“I'll take it as a maybe.” said Anne. With that, she turned and left.

“Well?” said Helen.

“Jessica is undecided. Sandra is potentially a yes providing the kissing isn't seen. Why do kids hate kissing?”

“I don't know, but they soon like it when they're older.” said Helen.

* * *

The subject was put to rest for the next few days as school was back on the agenda. Jessica had been worried about being recognised and as a sort of reassurance, Anne had bought her a new bag to take with her.

“Don't worry, with your long hair and girly good looks, no one will recognise you.” said Anne.

“And don't forget, Kelly will be there for you!” said Sandra.

Anne had received a letter from the headmistress that Jessica's identity was totally secret. Her file now showed her as female. It was also confirmed that Jessica would take Peter's place in class.

As they entered the school gates, Jessica still looked nervous.

“If anything, don't look nervous. You'll just attract attention that way and not the good sort either.” said Anne.

Sandra walked by her until they got close to the building. Sandra was of course a junior pupil now and had to head to the other side of the building. For now, Jessica was alone. Not for long though.

“Jessica!” came a familiar voice. Jessica turned to see Kelly and hugged her.

“Glad to see you. Worried about being recognised, that's all.” she said,

“Oh relax. Just hang out with me!” said Kelly. “You still in my class?”

“You mean in Peter's class?” said Jessica “Of course.”

“Great! You can sit with me!” said Kelly.

They walked together up to the Infants main entrance and found all the other pupils talking about what they'd done over the holidays.

“Hi Kelly!” came a voice. It was Lisa, one of Kelly's friends. Though Jessica knew her, she had never been friends with her, mainly because Lisa only hung out with girls. She was a red head and her hair was beyond her shoulders too. Jessica started getting jealous.

“Hi Lisa. This is my new friend Jessica. She's just starting and I'm hoping she's in our class.”

“So, you're new? Great to meet you. You've got a great friend in Kelly, you know?”

“Thanks.” said Jessica. “I met her during the holidays.”

Jessica and Kelly had been told to come up with reasons to explain how they already knew each other.

Kelly then introduced her to Rachel, a girl with light brown hair, not too disimilar to that of Sandra in many ways. Rachel's hair was roughly the same length as hers, which gave Jessica some comfort – she wasn't the only girl with shortish hair.

All fears were seemingly quashed as Jessica had made 2 new friends already, none of whom had recognised her. The bell rang and the teachers came outside. The children were told to sort themselves out into their classes. For those who had forgotten, the class registers were read aloud. Jessica was told to hold back by Kelly. She wasn't the only one. A boy also stood back – another new pupil.

The teacher with the registers then noticed Jessica and the boy standing alone.

“Jessica Smith and Bill Adams?” said the teacher.

“Yes.” they both replied.

“Jessica, you're in 2JA and Bill, you're in 3JK.” she said.

Jessica went to the line that was indicated to her. It was her old class as expected. Kelly greeted her with rehearsed celebrations.

“So, who's our teacher?” she asked Kelly.

“Don't know.” she replied.

“Hello class, I'm your teacher for this year.” came a voice.

Jessica had heard that voice before – it was Miss Abbot, the teacher who had caught her (as Peter) in the storeroom. Her face sank a little.

They were led to their new classroom and told to find a place to sit. Jessica was glad to find that Kelly had grabbed a table early and was saving a place for her. Lisa and Rachel joined them. In this case, Jessica was very much happy. She still occassionally looked over to the boys whom she used to be friends with. Miss Abbot called out the register again.

“Jessica” she said pointing over to her “is a new member of this class. Please make her feel welcome.”

Jessica soon realised that many eyes were on her. None seemed to hint at recognition. She merely smiled.

“Bit nervous?” said Rachel. “No fear, we're your friends.”

This was what Jessica needed. Despite the need to keep quiet in class, they chatted away quietly if possible.

When break came and they were allowed outside, Miss Abbot stopped Jessica and called her over.

“What is it Miss Abbot?” she said.

“Your face, it looks familiar, wait a minute!” said Miss Abbot

Jessica's heart sank.

“Peter? Is that you?” she said in a whisper.

Jessica looked glum. She was outed.

“Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. Well I never, you certainly look the part.”

Jessica tried a slight smile.

“Well, I wanted to see how you are getting on and it looks like you're doing well, you've got some friends at least. Now go and join them.” added Miss Abbot.

Jessica ran off to catch up with them.

Miss Abbot sat down at her desk and drank her coffee. She had barely recognised the girl as being Peter. It was clear that he had got his wish and was now very happy. She had to have a talk with her parents when Parents Day arrived.

“What did Miss Abbot want?” asked Lisa as Jessica found them.

“Just wanted to know how I was getting on.” said Jessica. She soon discovered that she needed some lessons in girls playground games. Kelly, being her main confidant was able to figure reasons why Jessica wasn't up to speed with most games. This wasn't the case for long as Jessica soon picked up the various rules and rhymes. She soon wasn't missing Sandra's company at all.

At home time, Rachel and Lisa accompanied her and Kelly to the gate. She found Anne and asked where Sandra was.

“Still waiting, remember she has a different exit to come from.” said Anne.

Sandra soon arrived. Both got in the car and soon they were headed home.

“So, how was it?” asked Sandra.

“Yes, Jessica, please tell!” said Anne.

“Great, just great. I've two new friends and my new teacher knows but wont tell.” she answered brightly.

“New teacher knows?” asked Anne.

“My new teacher Miss Abbot knows who I am but has promised not to tell.”

“She recognised you?” said Anne.

“She was the one was the one who caught me in the storeroom.” said Jessica.

“Oh, that Miss Abbot, I thought the name rang a bell.”

“So, who are your new friends?” asked Sandra. Jessica explained about Rachel and Lisa.

“So, with one exception, no one recognised you?” asked Anne.

“That's right.” said Jessica.

“Well, hanging around with your friends will help you. Thrilled to bits that you've got new friends.”

* * *

The next day, Jessica went to school with higher confidence. Kelly met her and eventually did Rachel and Lisa. As they walked down towards the playground, some boys from their class called over.

“Have you heard anything about Peter? He hasn't left, has he?” said one of them.

“No, haven't seen him. Must have left.” said Kelly. Jessica tried to remain calm at the mention of her former name.

“Shame, he was a good friend.” replied the boy.

Kelly looked to Jessica and smiled.

“Who was Peter?” asked Jessica, deciding to act as though she didn't know him.

“A boy in our class. Was no trouble, just seemed stare at us girls for some reason.” said Rachel.

“Oh.” said Jessica.

That was the only time Peter was mentioned for the whole week. The only real problem was explaining why Jessica appeared to go home with Sandra. Anne had pointed it out when she saw Rachel take note of this. The problem was that Sandra was known to be Peter's sister. If Sandra was still at school, then why wasn't Peter?

“I see Sandra still comes here.” said Rachel to the group one day. “Jessica seems to know her well, she goes home with her.”

“They live close by and so Sandra's mommy gives Jessica a lift.” said Kelly.

“So what's happened to Peter? If his sister still comes here, why doesn't he?” asked Rachel. Lisa was also becoming interested. Kelly was stuck for an answer. It was awkward, but it seemed there was only one way out.

“Look, I'll tell you something but you must agree under oath of pinkies, not to tell anyone else.”

“Ok, but what is it?” asked Lisa.

“Swear!” said Kelly.

“Ok, we swear!” they both said and put their pinky fingers out.

“You want to know where Peter is? Well, he's standing right among us!” whispered Kelly.

“Standing where? Theres no one else here but....” said Rachel.

“Jessica?!” said Lisa.

“Yes, it's me.” said Jessica quietly.

“Why? Does anyone else know?” asked Rachel.

“Well, Kelly knows.” said Lisa.

“I first met Peter as Jessica. She's been dressing up since before last year ended.” said Kelly, keeping her voice low.

“But he attended school as a boy.” said Lisa.

“I was Peter at school and Jessica at home.” said Jessica. “I'm a girl all the time now. I may have the body of a boy but in my mind, I'm a girl. I only stared at you because I wanted long hair and to wear skirts.”

“So, you feel you are a girl?” asked Rachel.

“Trust me, Jessica is no boy. She loves playing with dolls and she has helped me and Sandra with our hair.” said Kelly.

“Well, it makes sense. Peter was obviously too clever to be a boy. He had to be a girl.” said Lisa.

“So, you ok with it?” asked Kelly.

“Sure, but I want to spend some time with her. If she's that girly, I'm definitely okay with it.” said Rachel.

“So, that is your hair?” asked Lisa, going over to touch it.

“Yes, but I want it longer.” said Jessica.

“Same here!” said Rachel, pointing at her short locks. “Mom likes it this way, I don't!”

“Well, you've fooled us. We'd never have guessed!” said Lisa. She started to do circles around Jessica, looking her over.

“Do you keep it hidden, or is it gone?” asked Rachel.

“Hidden.” said Jessica, recognising the subject. “I've got wait till I'm much older first.”

“Ok, no more on that! This is supposed to be a secret!” stepped in Kelly.

“So, do we still call you Peter?” said Rachel.

“My name is Jessica now. Peter is no more.” replied Jessica.

“Well Jessica, just a few things we want.” said Lisa “Can we please come and visit you?!”

“And you can come to my birthday party in a few weeks! Dresses only!” said Rachel.

“Thanks for this!” said Jessica, hugging them in turn. “And of course I'll wear a dress to your party!”

up
125 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

new couple

Do Anne and Julia end up together. If so good.

Wolf_0.jpg

Looks like Anne and Julia

Looks like Anne and Julia will have to confine their kissing to the bedroom or whenever the three 'Musketeers' are not around. Glad that Kelly is the buffer between Jessica and the other girls and getting them to pinky swear regarding who Jessica is beneath her clothes. I feel that the 4 of them can now fend off any others who may become knowledgeable regarding Jessica/Peter and be able to put a stop to any nonsense that may come of it. I do not like or really trust Mrs. Abbot, because she promised Peter she would not tell anyone, yet did so right after he left her and she blabbed it to another teacher.

one dirty trick

I feel that with the Mrs. Abbot ratting him out was low but the right thing to do.

But it's the boys that worry me.

Wolf_0.jpg

Miss Abbot is not a threat

I'll just make this point, just so you know. Yes, she outed her, but she does keep it quiet. She therefore becomes a confidant too.

Laughing Out Loud!! (stereotypes)

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

“Well, it makes sense. Peter was obviously too clever to be a boy. He had to be a girl.” said Lisa.

I got the same sort of response while talking about my gender stuff, and from an adult woman, no less! :D Her rationalizations were that I talked to her eyes rather than her (more than ample) chest, and that I shared the conversation rather than dominating it. Ha! If I had a nickel for every woman I’ve ever met with a listening skills deficit, I could tell our Social Security Administration where to stuff their disability checks!