Tamara's Trials - Chapter 3 "Dunbankin'"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Three

 

"Dunbankin'"

 
This is the third book in the Tommy & Tamara Series. It is strongly advised that you read the previous books first.
 
 
Sunday 11th January 2015
 

Tammy had been working on her homework for about half an hour when Angela arrived at the bedroom door.

"It's not nice out there!"

"And a good morning to you too."

"Bah! Mum's gone into the study with your Dad, I wonder what they're talking about?"

"Dad has been out to look at properties this week so maybe he wants Joan's help in choosing one?"

"Maybe."

"Come on, unpack your stuff whilst I order some coffee."

"Hot chocolate please."

Tammy made a call to the kitchen whilst Angela dragged a chair over to the desk and set up her laptop. Today's main task was two thousand words on Shakespeare's Thane of Cawdor. Quite by co-incidence, an email had arrived from Sandy Franklin:

From: Sandy Franklin
To: Mill Theatre Players
Date: Sunday 11th Jan 2015 1030UTC
Subject: Spring Production
 
Dear all,
 
It's now official, our autumn production of West Side Story was our most successful yet. Not only did we sell more seats than before but the audience reaction was fantastic. As a result the theatre and the Mill Theatre Players have gained several more sponsors, which leads me onto the next item.
 
After much consideration we have decided to do Macbeth. Many of you won't remember the last time it was staged in the theatre as that was in 2006 on the quad centenary anniversary of the play. The performances are currently scheduled to be May 1st to the 3rd. We'll hold open auditions next Saturday at ten o'clock and a rehearsal schedule will be published in the next two weeks.
 
Happy new year
Sandy

"I can't do it, Angela."

"Do what?"

"This play."

"Why not?"

"The performances are in May, my first A level exam is on the thirteenth of May."

"Which one?"

"Maths Core."

"Oh."

"Yes, so I don't really have time to devote to learning lines."

"But you should know the Scottish Play already. It isn't even the longest of Shakespeare's tragedies."

"No, I simply can't."

Tammy's phone pinged, Tanya had sent a message. Tammy decided to call her, but put it on speaker so Angela could hear.

"Hi, yes I did see the email."

"Hi Tammy, so do you want it?"

"No, I don't. You're welcome to her."

"I don't like Shakespeare really, you do her!"

"I have A level exams to revise for, she's all your's!"

"I have exams too!"

Angela was having trouble, "what on earth are the two of you talking about?"

In stereo, "Lady Macbeth."

"So, which of you wants to play her?"

"Neither of us!"

When they'd recovered from the giggles, Tammy decided that something had to be done.

"I suppose, Tanya, that if neither of us turns up at the auditions then we still wouldn't get out of it."

"That's the problem, so which of us is going to do her? 'Is this a dagger which I see before me'?"

"'The handle towards my hand, come let me clutch thee'."

"Perfect, the job's your's."

"It's only a few words, and they were Macbeth's."

"Maybe, but you picked up where I finished."

"So, I might know some of the words."

"Sold!"

"I'm going to regret this!"

"'Hubble bubble toil and trouble'!"

"You witch!"

"One of the three, at least."

Tammy hung up.

"What about this homework on the Thane of Cawdor?" Asked Angela.

****

By lunchtime they had enough of Macbeth, his history, rivals, fears and mental breakdown that the two girls decided that each could finish this homework later. What really did trouble Tammy was that she did seem to know the play rather well. A phone call summonsed them to the dining room.

"Girls, when we've had some lunch we need to have a look at some properties."

Thirty minutes later the four of them were in Richard's Land Rover, heading towards the main gate of the McPherson estate. They were only on the main road for a minute before turning off it. A sign named the property as 'Dunbankin'.

"What's this one, Dad?"

"It's the Dohertys' home, Mr Doherty has been offered early retirement by the bank and they're looking to sell so they can move south."

They were greeted by Mrs Doherty who explained her husband was at the Golf Club.

"Come in and have a look around, are these your parents Tammy?"

Tammy had heard the name before but hadn't been able to match a face, she did however know that this lady, Janet, was a frequent Saturday morning visitor to Sarah's Boutique and loved a bargain.

"Hi Janet, let me introduce my father, his close friend Joan Small and her daughter Angela, who's at school with me."

"Oh, ghastly business Mrs Small, ghastly. Anyway, where shall we head first?"

The property was bigger than it looked and had been extended several times over the years. Originally built around 1910 there were 1950s and 1980s aged additions to the original building.

There were five bedrooms, one of which would make a study or games room. Three of the bedrooms also had their own bathrooms so there were some happy faces. Mr Doherty had used a downstairs room, next to the lounge, as a study so this would be maintained and used by Richard or Joan.

The kitchen, Tammy noted, was definitely a 1950s model, complete with an Aga.

"That would have to go," whispered Angela.

"You don't know what it is?"

"An antique."

"That antique is one of the best cookers you can get and would cost almost four thousand pounds to replace."

There was a polite cough behind them. "Tammy's right, and if I had my way we'd take it with us."

Looking through the kitchen window Tammy saw an out-building. "What's there, Janet?"

"It was a barn as this was attached to an estate, but George used it for a workshop and garage plus there's a studio upstairs."

"Studio? Drawing and Painting?"

"No, music. Our son set it up before he moved to LA. There's also a separate flat over there."

Tammy was about to ask if they could take a look when Richard and Joan arrived in the kitchen.

"Right gang, we're short of time so we need to move on. Thank you very much Janet."

"Bye everyone."

Tammy realised they had been at the Doherty's house for half an hour and the light was beginning to go. A few minutes later they pulled up by another property, Tammy dated it between 1920 and 1930.

They were met by an estate agent, the property was unoccupied, cold and most unwelcoming. The tour took five minutes and they shivered their way back to Richard's car.

"One more."

This time it was a ten minute drive to the far side of Thurso, almost into Castletown. They finally pulled up outside a carbuncle of a building. Richard left the engine running.

"What's this?"

"It's one of the houses the estate agency sent us."

"It's awful."

"Did you want to have a look around?"

"No."

"Angela?"

"I'm with Tammy on this one."

"Okay, let's head back."

***

They reconvened in the sitting room but waiting until each had a warming drink before starting the discussion. Joan took the lead, taking Richard's hand as she spoke.

"Angela, Tammy, by now you must have realised that Richard and I are very fond of each other. You must also have worked out that the house viewing is intended to find somewhere for all of us to live."

Tammy nodded, Angela too although Tammy did wonder if Angela had seen all the signs.

"Angela, which of the three did you like?"

"The first one."

"Tammy?"

"Dunbankin."

"What?"

"That's the name of the Dohertys' house."

"How appropriate."

Richard took over. "That was the easy question, there's still plenty of work to do before we can make an offer, and loads more before we could move in there."

"Dad, Joan, would the house be bought by one of the companies?"

"Yes."

Joan and Angela looked confused.

"If we will have enough cash to purchase a property outright, without a mortgage, then it makes sense to have a company buy the house, any work needed would also go through the company."

"But why would you do that?"

"For the tax, Angela, the tax. You can make each pound work twenty percent harder if you try."

"Okay, but I know nothing about companies, it's not as if I have one?"

Tammy started to laugh.

"What?"

"Do you remember when we were in London a month ago?"

"Yes."

"Dad asked his PA to create a company for you and your mum whilst we were there."

"Oh."

"My guess is that each of us would put something into the new company."

"That's right Tammy. However, as I said a few minutes ago, there's plenty of work needed before we can make an offer. I do however get the feeling that the Dohertys want to be gone by the beginning of February if possible."

"Three weeks, that's not much time."

"So maybe they won't want to argue about the price too much?"

That generated a laugh.

"Dad, what about Elsie?"

"What would you like to know?"

Tammy spun around, Elsie was stood behind her.

"Oh, sorry Elsie, I was just wondering what would happen to you once Dad and I moved?"

"I was wondering that too. Richard, Joan, could I have a chat in the study please?"

Whilst their parents went off with Elsie, Angela suggested she and Tammy finished off their homework. Back in Tammy's room, however, any more progress on Shakespeare was frustrated by a more pressing issue.

"Tammy, our parents, is it a good idea?"

"Angela, I'm the wrong one to be asking that. I've never had a real relationship and even my parents used to be at a distance, physically and emotionally."

"But, is it right?"

"That's down to them, but you would be related to me."

"Sisters?"

"Technically step-sister, sis."

"I like that, sis."

The pair hugged, seemingly closer than ever. Tammy put a peck on Angela's cheek, fully expecting her sister-to-be to flinch. Angela, however, just smiled.

"Angela, promise me this though, let our parents get on with it and don't interfer."

"Yes."

"Also, if it doesn't work out with them, promise me you'll stil be my friend."

"Yes."

"Now, do you want to do any more homework?"

"No, let's see what everyone else is up to."

Tammy checked her email first whilst Angela was looking through social media for signs of intelligent life.

From: John Hibbert
To: Tammy Smart
Date: Sunday 11th January 2015 11:35
Subject: What's going on?
 
Hi Tammy,
 
I'm confused. I was on detention supervision duty yesterday from nine and the list I was handed had your name on it, as we suspected. But there was no sign of you so I had to report that to Miss Stewart. She flew into a rage, swore at me and demanded to know where you were.
 
Of course, I didn't know anything. She sent me back to supervise the few miscreants, including Thwaites, and the rest of the morning passed almost without incidence. However, about ten o'clock, the head came to see me and asked that I strike your name from the list. I don't know how you managed it, but well done. As the boys were heading off at midday Thwaites came up to me and asked where you were, he was given the only answer I had, I didn't know. I'm also unclear whether he was expecting to see you in detention that morning or whether I'd seen you in school, sorry I don't know what he was implying.
 
Anyway, I passed Miss Stewart on my way to lunch and she was foul, I think she'd come from the Head's office. She looked at me with contempt but I have no idea what I did wrong, oh well.
 
I spent the afternoon with Tanya and had a late pass so Sandy ran me up to the school after dinner. What's this I hear about you having Tanya over for a sleep-over next weekend?
 
John

Tammy sat back in her chair, she'd best keep well out of Yvonne's way on Monday. No, make that every day.

"Oh Angela, before I forget, there's a new school rule."

"Ok."

"Us girls cannot see a member of staff unless someone else is in the room."

"What?"

"Look, it's for your own protection. If one of the tutors asks to see you, make sure one of the other sixth formers is there. You can ask your mum instead but that might create problems."

"She'll be your mum too, soon anyway."

"True, so ask me, John or one of the others if you are asked to see a tutor by yourself. The tutors should be told tomorrow. There might be little things like that now the school is adapting to having girls there."

"I suppose so."

"What are your plans after A levels?"

"I was thinking of going into health and welfare."

"You hadn't decided?"

"Dad said to wait until I had my results and not to get my hopes up."

"That's unfair, you should have had sessions with Mr Thompson to talk about what you were doing next."

"Dad wouldn't let me go to them."

"What course are you thinking of?"

"It's a BA(Hons) in Health Studies and I can specialise into Health and Welfare or go down a community health route. The local college run it but it's a part of the University of the Highlands and Islands. I'd only need two A levels to get on the course too."

"Don't run yourself down, you'll get three easily, just have confidence in your own abilities."

"What are you doing yourself?"

"Good question, I thought it was all mapped out; I was going to work for dad's bank and do my degree in London at the same time."

"There's two problems there, your dad doesn't work for the bank any more and you're not in London."

"Yes, show me that college."

"After a swim, have you still got one of my suits here?"

***

Downstairs Elsie was mapping out her own future, she'd been feeling unwell for several months but it wasn't until late November that she'd told her GP how she felt. From there on matters had progressed fast, starting with an initial consultation and then the multiple scans and a small biopsy.

That was finalised just before Christmas and Elsie was under the knife as soon as Hogmanay was out of the way. Right now she was wondering whether chemotherapy was needed, as well as being sore and fatigued. The pain killers didn't help and she'd gone against medical advice to cut them out during the day. That, unfortunately, left her a little ratty even if a little more alert.

"Richard, I know you're concerned for me but I also respect that you need to do things for yourself, for yourselves." She looked at Joan as she said that last few words.

"Elsie, I or should I say we, are in two minds about what to do here. Tammy has been with you since November and I came here soon after. Now we have Louise as well, although her initial contract ended a week ago. That's putting too much on you, on your household."

"Nonsense Richard, having Tammy around was a breath of fresh air, I've said that before and it's still true - even if she's a little headstrong at times, even insolent occasionally."

Richard remembered the previous morning when Tammy had referred to Harry Davison as just 'Harry', much to Elsie's chagrin. Harry had given Tammy permission at the school's Christmas staff party, just not to call him 'Harry' anywhere formal. The previous morning's meeting was definitely not formal, or even a meeting technically.

"But Elsie, if you do need chemo then your needs and priorities will change."

"I know and I don't like the idea of not being in control, even of my own body."

"Had you thought about having a nurse here so you don't have to attend hospital?"

"I have, I wouldn't mind going down to the Dunbar but the local cancer centre is at the Raigmore in Inverness and it's still a couple of hours away."

"Well, it would take a few weeks at least to get nurses organised, plus any equipment, and we're looking at a month before we could move anyway."

"Would you want to take any staff?"

Joan looked surprised at the question.

"I'd like to take Leanne and probably hire a cook. I'll have to check with her but Louise could become our PA and office manager."

"That would leave me with Anna, Thomas and the kitchen staff. I'm sure I could loan you the estates team if you needed help."

"Thanks Elsie, as you know the Dohertys' place backs onto the estate. We wouldn't be far away if you needed us."

"I'll see that an access is put through, I presume you would want to improve security there?"

"Yes, the house is quite close to the road."

"I use an architect in town, I'll ask him to contact you so you can get the drawings done quickly."

"Great, my only concern now is that the Dohertys accept the offer."

"They will, Richard, I spoke to Janet after you'd left there."

Richard smiled, you should never underestimate Elsie. Joan was starting to realise that she was underestimating both of them.

***

They all reconvened for dinner with Michael, Elsie's youngest son, joining them.

"Hi Michael, I haven't seen you for a few days?"

"I've been staying with a friend whilst we work on our projects for college, Tammy."

It didn't look like Michael was comfortable giving any more information so Tammy left it, just as well considering that Elsie had now entered the room.

Just before Joan and Angela left Angela asked a question.

"Was there any problem when you reported that boy on Friday?"

"Oh, none at all Angela. I'm told he was in detention yesterday morning."

"Good. I'll see you at school tomorrow. Bye."

"Bye, sis."

up
430 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

house

I think Elsie bought Richard and Joan the house for them as a gift.

Jennifer Boyle

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

The Scottish Play

Whom does Miss Stewart remind us of?

Definitely One Of The Witches

joannebarbarella's picture

She can't be Lady MacBeth because she was racked by remorse in the end and Yvonne Stewart shows no such tendencies.

"Dunbankin". Har! Har! How appropriate.

locations

I am on the verge of taking a visit to Thurso just to try and check out all these locations to see if they exist!!! theres obsessive compulsive disorder for you!!!! ,Dunbankin- giggle, I love it. The castletown hotel doesnt look so swish on google earth, I wonder if this story is upping their room rate, get your commision claim in Shiraz

intelligence

enb4448's picture

As a deputy head, I would have thought that Miss Stewart would have had at least a modicum of intelligence. However, she is showing no such trait in her acts of bigotry. One would have thought that she would have been a little more obtuse in her acts, rather than things which obviously trace back to her.

It Is Odd

Sounds like she's mostly gotten away with being a bully up to now. It's possible that she doesn't understand the resources and savvy of Tammy and her father. Seems like Elsie would have given her some insight though. She was careful to not be recognized as the troublemaker at the funeral. She must not have any idea that anyone would have her investigated and watched. In the most recent confrontation with Tammy, she had no idea she was being recorded and was just using her position to bully Tammy which she reasonably felt pretty safe doing. I think she's just in over her head. Time will tell what our authoress is up to.

I'm not sure Yvonne realizes

Julia Miller's picture

that the only reason she has a position in the school is due to Tammy and Angela. If she got rid of them, there would be no need to keep her there, since there wouldn't be any girls attending the school. It seems to me she should not forget this fact.

intelligence

enb4448's picture

As a deputy head, I would have thought that Miss Stewart would have had at least a modicum of intelligence. However, she is showing no such trait in her acts of bigotry. One would have thought that she would have been a little more obtuse in her acts, rather than things which obviously trace back to her.

apologies

enb4448's picture

Apologies for doubling up on my comment, I must have hit the wrong button

step sisters ?

cool, if it happens.

DogSig.png

Dunbankin

When you are finished with your bank business.

OTOH, I'm not sure what the other commenters are snickering about?

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Tammy is getting

much more of an education than she originally thought.

Steamed not the right word

Jamie Lee's picture

Well, the battle ax is way beyond steamed, way beyond mad. She'd peel paint if her looks were put into words.

John is right, Tammy did good by getting out of an unwarranted detention, though she did have help.

As to getting the teachers' union upset, that's too bad if documentation proves it necessary. Someone has to stand up to Yvonne and put a stop to her antics. And do so before she does something which ends in a tragedy.

Only the blind would not see how close Joan and Richard have grown. And see they are shopping for a house where their family can live. And, where else but a house which was once part of Elsie's estate; what better way to keep an eye on Elsie and be there when needed.

Next school is going to be fun if the dragon queen gets a hold of Tammy, for anything. And she won't like it that a witness will be present during any meeting they have. It's harder to tell a lie when another has heard the original words.

Others have feelings too.

The Ship Has Launched!

Tammy's suspected it for ages, but now Richard x Joan is official!

Meanwhile, Yvonne's bubble is showing signs of strain - how much longer before the strain becomes too much and it bursts?


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!