Rules Are Rules: 18. Big Brother Is Watching

Printer-friendly version

"Miss Donner?" he asked, "Is your life usually so... exciting?"

"No," I said. "Just since I came here."

"Hmm," he said. "If things keep up at this rate, I won't need to watch television any more."

Rules Are Rules: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
18. Big Brother Is Watching

 

Eden was fun. I liked her. She was an only child, like me, and had just moved to town, like me. Her father was in the Army, stationed in Pakistan.

She was in the middle of telling me about her move when the PA system clicked on. We both fell silent.

"Marcie Donner, please report to the Principal's Office. Marcie Donner, to the Principal's Office immediately."

My jaw dropped. Eden's did as well.

"What did you do now, Marcie?"

"I'll tell you if you come with me," I said.

Mr. Bryant was standing in the outer office. He was smiling.

"Forgotten me, Miss Donner? Too busy catching babies who fall off trains?"

"How do you know about that?" I asked.

He smiled and said, "I have my sources."

Denise coughed and smiled. "Oh," I said.

"Yes, 'oh'," Mr. Bryant said. "That's a nice outfit you're wearing. Now let's hear the dress code for girls and you can go about your business."

I rattled it off without a hitch.

"Miss Donner?" he asked, "Is your life usually so... exciting?"

"No," I said. "Just since I came here."

"Hmm," he said. "If things keep up at this rate, I won't need to watch television any more."

I didn't get it, but Denise laughed, and I ducked out to join Eden.

Eden was in my three morning classes, and the two of us hooked up with Carla in second period. I copied Eden's schedule, and found that either she or Carla was in every one of my classes, and the three of us were together most of the time.

"So, are we all going to sit together at lunch?" I asked.

Carla smirked and said, "I'm sitting with Pat."

"Okay," I joked, "Don't get too smoochy in the cafeteria, Carla."

She arched her eyebrows as if to say, You know I will.

Eden and I got our food and sat down together. I looked around the room and spotted Carla at a table with Pat and Jerry.

"Doesn't your boyfriend eat lunch with you?" Eden asked.

"I was just wondering about that myself," I said, but I was soon to find out why he didn't.

I was busy trying to catch Jerry's eye, so I didn't see Ms. Tandy approach. I jumped when she spoke.

"Hi, girls. Mind if I sit for a moment?" Without waiting for an answer, she sat down next to me.

"Marcie, I have good news for you," she said. "I talked to your conductor, and he confirmed your story. Out of curiosity, I called the baby's mother. She says you're a hero and an angel." She smiled.

"I couldn't talk to the little girl you were babysitting, so I talked to her mother." Her eyes twinkled. "You gave me these numbers yourself, so you can't blame me if I used them.

"Anyway, Mrs. Auburn had all sorts of nice things to say about you. You're in like Flynn there, girl."

"Um, is that good?" I asked.

She laughed. "Believe me, if your boyfriend's mother likes you, it's a good thing. You're lucky.

"About the doll," she said, pausing to build suspense, "The Little Railroad is going to pay to replace it. So you're off the hook there, too. Also, they're going to send you a lifetime pass to the Little Railroad for you and a guest, so you can go on catching babies as often as you like."

"What about my grade?"

"I looked at the recorder, and you're right. Except for the fall from the train, you did well. You were a little rough, but most of the girls were. If it was a real baby you would have realized it, so don't worry. It was the same for you, Eden, in case you wondered. You both did fine for the doll part of your assignment. I still have to grade the notebooks. That will take me a little longer." She suppressed a grin and said, "Marcie, I think I'll save yours for last."

I nodded and thanked her. There was one last little thing bothering me, though, so I had to ask: "Ms. Tandy? How did you know that Jerry is my boyfriend?"

"Oh," she said. "Did you think that was a secret? Look, Marcie, this is a little school; there aren't that many students. There are teachers all over the place, and we see and hear things. We compare notes, especially about students who stand out."

"Do I stand out?" I asked, a little afraid.

Eden burst into giggles. Ms. Tandy smiled. My jaw dropped.

"I was trying to keep a low profile," I said softly.

Ms. Tandy looked puzzled. "You were? Well, you're not doing a very good job. In fact, if this is you keeping a low profile, I'd hate to see what would happen if you cut loose."

Eden's giggles kept bubbling out.

"And why in the world would you try to keep a low profile, Marcie? Wait... don't tell me. You've made my head spin enough for one day." She stood up. "In any case, congratulations on catching that baby. It was the right thing to do, even if it wrecked the doll. A real baby is more important any time." She smiled at me and left.

As soon as Ms. Tandy was gone, Carla roughly pushed her tray of food onto our table. She sat down with a thump! and a sullen expression. "Stupid cafeteria monitors!" she muttered.

"What happened?" I asked.

"That witch standing by the wall told me I couldn't sit with Pat. She said we were too 'hot and heavy' and that it wasn't appropriate."

"Oh, Carla," I said sympathetically. I looked over at the other table and Pat shrugged.

"Listen, I'll be right back," I said. "I have to ask Jerry something."

"Good luck," Carla said.

In fact, before I reached the table, the woman that Carla called a witch stepped in my way.

"Miss Donner," she said, "I just sent your crony away. Do you think you have some special privilege? Boyfriends over here–" she gestured at Pat and Jerry's table "–girlfriends over there." She gestured at my table. Behind her, Jerry shrugged at me, just as Pat had.

I opened my mouth, but couldn't find anything to say.

"Go," the monitor told me. She took one of my shoulders and turned me around.

"What a witch!" I exclaimed as I sat down again with Carla and Eden. "And how does she know my name? I've never seen her before."

"It's Big Brother," Carla growled. "It's repression."

I saw Eden fight off some giggles, and it made me smile.

© 2006, 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

In the original,

Angharad's picture

Orwell's 1984, the monitors were TV screens not people. As the monitors here are described as witches, one presumes they are female although, a witch, is a gender neutral term.

The way words change with times, look at the word 'gay', now a bachelor gay, would not be the way to describe a young man who was eligible for marriage.

Names also change: Eden, Vivian and Cameron, are boys names which are now likely to be used by girls and which no one turns a hair at, Kim originally a boy's name is now gender neutral, and Marion and Shirley are more or less exclusively feminine, although they weren't, they were boy's names.

It's quite interesting that things male/masculine taken over by women is okay, things feminine taken over by men is very iffy, presumably because of the paternalistic society in which we live.
Angharad

Angharad

names

Vivian was a boys name? I didnt know that. I think some boys call themselfs Kelly though
As for Kim. I spent some time in Korea and there are Kims everywhere. Many boys are called Kim there.

But i understand how feminine taken over by men is looked down on. Thats annoying to me.

Kelly

Angharad's picture

derives from the surname or a Gaelic name, originally male and still possibly so, although generally used for girls nowadays.

The Oxford Dictionary of first names is quite authoritative but is sometimes wrong with Celtic names, especially Welsh ones for some reason.

Angharad

Angharad

Gender specific names

IIRC the male version is Vivien rather than Vivian. Another name that throws me is Robin, which has always been a male name in the UK, but apparently not in the US.

I haven't commented before on this story, but I am voting, and enjoying its wry humour. I loved the baby down the embankment story.

Geoff

T’other way around, Geoff

According to my book of names, you've got it base over apex. Vivian is the main male one and Vivien the female, not forgetting Vivienne, which is really French. French males are Vivien. But don't forget Sir Vivian Richards, and Sir Vivian Fuchs.

Gabi
(Thanks for the New year Greeting which is reciprocated? Too long a word for after nidmight)

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Vyvyan

You owe it to yourself to watch The Young Ones, British comedy at its most bizarre.

Kim is not a given, or first name in Korea…..

D. Eden's picture

Many Asian names are the reverse of our “European” naming style. Kim is actually a family name, and a common one like Smith or Jones to us.

Korean names give the family or surname first, and then the given name after. Therefore, saying that “there are Kim’s everywhere” simply means it is a common family name. Of course there are a lot of boys named Kim in Korea, just like there a lot of boys named Smith in the US.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Kim-a-lot

Emma Anne Tate's picture

It’s actually far more common; we’ve got nothing that comes close. Smith is our most common surname, but fewer than 1% of Americans are Smiths. More than one in five Koreans is a Kim. No wonder Kim Jong Un thinks he should rule all of them . . . .

Emma

Emma was a boy's name

I've read that Emma was once a boy's name.

Strange names.

Gwen Talk about strange name happenings, My birth name was Gwinn, so when femininity was so rudely dropped in my lap, I changed it to Gwen. Recently, I was told that my and both my brother's names are girls names. That would be Logan, Aven and Gwinn. That is very strange to me.
Gwen Brown

Beverly was a boys name...

TGSine --

Beverly was a boys name...so was ASHLEY (in the UK it is still a boys name). Also so was Abbey (a form of Abe). Marquis, Devan, Michael, Dillan, Sharron, Vincent and a few others.

TGSine --958

monitors

lisa charlene's picture

when i was in school we had lunch room monitors they were teachers the were scheduled to make everything went smoothly at the lunchroom .stop bulling and fights ect. and this was in the 80s .every school i attended had them and since my dad was military and had to move a lot i was in a lot of different schools

Rules are Rules

I wish I could write like all of the authors in this web site. Please keep up the great work! Really enjoy the writtings especial;y stories like this one Rules are Rules. Luv You A;;! Happy New Years and many more!!!!

Richard

Wow talk about a repressive school

Since when did a school dictate who you could eat lunch with, or what gender you sat with. that could be a form of discrimination. I have never heard of such a thing. But then School for me was in the dinosaur era. Your teacher described here really is a witch.

I agree with Marcie, she wanted no noteriety, and all of a sudden she is in the fore front of everything. Will this cause her problems in the future? So far she hasn't been found out, but with being this popular it could be a matter of time.

I would have thought by now the female phys ed teacher would have cornered Marcie to be on the feild hockey team, or is this to soon?

Hugs
Joni W

Public Displays of Affection

I'm surprised at how much readers dislike this school and its teachers. I thought they were all pretty nice... Cassie says that even Mrs. Zeff is fine once you get to know her.

And, you will see that the cafeteria monitor is capable of kindness (in a later chapter).

There *are* schools that discourage PDA (public displays of affection).

About field hockey: I think the season is already over.

really cute

It is turning out to be a very cute story. I am really curious what Marcie was going to say. Thats irrating. the monitor is a Witch.

She was trying to keep a low profile. I dont know how long she could keep this up. Wont she have to pass a physical soon?
That she is now comfortable herself acknowledging Jerry as her boyfriend is very cute. Its cute that mark could so quickly grow into the feminine role and even feel totally comfortable with a boy as Marcie.
If it all comes out that marcie is Mark, how would it affect Jerry? I would be afraid he would become the butt of every joke in school.

Errrr....

Kim is a last name in Korea. It translates to 'Gold'. I do not know for sure if Kim is used much as a first name though.

Kim :=).

Errrr

This is a reply to Christine01's comment about Kims in Korea. Somehow the reply got to the bottom of the comments for some reason.

Kim

rules are rules

boy names grils names ?ok wow iam sure glad my mom gaveme the name CHARLES.owell i lurn something new every day . he he fun thanks and have a good one
whildchild

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Lots of comments

Gwen I see that you are getting generous praises for this chapter and now you have mine. It is nice to have a fun, humorous story to offset the serious tone of some of the rest of us, myself included. Thank you very much.
Gwen Brown

In like Flynn, of course

Thanks to Bibliophage for pointing out that the phrase is "in like Flynn" (referring to Errol) and NOT "in like Flint" -- which is a James Coburn movie and not what I meant at all!

that's a relief

now at least she wont get an F

DogSig.png