Tamara's Trials - Chapter 2 "Tammy versus the world"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Two

 

"Tammy versus the world"

 
This is the third book in the Tommy & Tamara Series. It is strongly advised that you read the previous books first.
 
 
Saturday 10th January 2015
 

Tammy hadn't slept well and was not looking forward to the morning. Detention on a Saturday was not fun and was not ever intended to be treated as such. To be given detention as a sixth former, especially as a prefect, would cause ripples throughout the school.

For Tammy that would require her resignation as a prefect immediately. If Deputy Head Yvonne Stewart's intention was to ruin Tammy's reputation, this was a good way to start.

She and her father had almost finished their breakfast by eight and really weren't too sure what to do as Elsie hadn't reported back to him. That question was answered when three people turned up at the house just after eight.

"We'll use the sitting room." Elsie had arrived, "Tammy, join us."

It wasn't a request.

There was a little furniture re-arranging then they sat, waiting for someone to start. Those present now included Dr Steven McIntosh, Headmaster of St Andrews, Rev Franklin, Anglican Minister, and Harry Davison, Chair of the Governing Body.

Harry coughed gently, "this is a right little pickle you have here Miss Smart, Tammy."

"Harry, I didn't want this to start." That earned her a glare from Elsie.

"Now, how do we extricate ourselves from this? Steven?"

The Head responded, "Harry, as I see it the issue here is that we have damning evidence we can't use. We also appear to have prima facie evidence of a deliberate campaign and inappropriate behaviour against a student by a member of staff before and during her term of employment with us. Your view, Reverend?"

"Headmaster, we must be careful not to prejudge anyone here. Having said that, without sight of the video would we not have supported a member of staff's claim that a student was abusive?"

Tammy bit her tongue. It was most unusual that a student would be in such a meeting, especially an off-the-record meeting. The meeting's remit appeared, at first sight, to be one of damage limitation rather than dealing with the actual problem.

Her father interjected. "What was the allegation about Tammy?"

"Miss Stewart reported to me that Miss Smart had objected being called to her, had been obstructive when Miss Smart was trying to clear up a query and had stormed out after shouting and swearing."

"I see."

"Yes Richard, I am trying to find a solution to this problem that isn't actually a solution to the problem. Regardless of the personal issues here, I do not want to upset the entire Scottish Teachers Union at the same time."

"Will you be contacting her previous school?"

"The Head there is an old friend, I spoke to her last night and will speak again after this non-meeting."

Richard nodded, there were real limits to what he could do, either as a parent or as a governor, and the two roles should not ever mix. That was proving difficult right now.

"Now, Miss Smart, you are to stop using the camera in school, permission to use it is rescinded and it must not be worn. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Good, that way we can avoid a repeat of these circumstances. However, I will now ask that you are not to see any member of staff alone, regardless of the circumstances. You could be accompanied by another student or Mrs Small, or potentially another member of staff. That should eliminate opportunist accusations. The same rule will apply to Miss Small and any other female student until it's no longer needed."

"Yes, Sir, thank you."

"Regarding this morning, I have reviewed the allegation and found it to be contrary to your otherwise excellent record. I will suggest to Miss Stewart that simply a warning should be put on your record."

Richard queried this.

"Richard, all student records are subject to regular review. Now, I suggest you take your daughter to her place of work otherwise Ms Bonney could be short-handed today."

"Certainly Steven. Come on Tammy."

After being told she was in the clear, Tammy had immediately gone up to her room to change her attire for the day and to put on the make-up that was mostly missing, in case she really did have to do her Saturday morning detention.

She then sent a text to Sarah to say she was on her way, finally she fixed the camera brooch to her top.

It was gone eight forty when she came back downstairs, finding her father tapping his foot.

"They all left ten minutes ago."

"I couldn't go to work looking like that."

"Women! Come on before I change my mind."

***

Today was the last day of Sarah's winter sale. As a result of some business advice, an understanding of her stock room and some online advertising, this was Sarah's best winter yet and the previous month had equated to six months of normal trade. No wonder there was a spring in her step.

Angela had arrived before Tammy and collected the pastries, although one more was now needed.

"I'm so glad you're here, Tammy."

"So am I, I wasn't looking forward to the alternative."

"Right, you have five minutes before I open, it's best if you get to the bakery now."

There was a queue in Reid's Bakery so Tammy took ten minutes and found a shop full of ladies all looking for the last bargain. The shelves were starting to look bare but this was deliberate. The sales stock had gone very well and what remained would be banished to a discount bin in the centre of the shop. Once the store closed at four the girls would change the signage, bring newly-delivered stock into the shop and make certain the shop was ready for Sarah on Monday morning.

Before then, when it was quiet, Tammy and Angela could have some fun.

"What's that box?"

"Tie-dyed cotton skirts."

"And that one, Angela?"

"Mid-sleeved blouses in about six colours."

"Right, find a skirt and a blouse that match and put them on, I'll be back in a minute."

A week earlier Angela would have challenged Tammy or just refused. Now she had a better understanding of the dynamic so didn't just find a combo for herself but also a set for Tammy.

Tammy actually took longer than a minute as the shop had filled again, although by eleven trade was already dropping off. Heavy snow had been forecast for early evening but this far north that could mean anything from three o'clock onwards; Tammy was keeping an eye on the weather.

They took several pictures of themselves in a variety of outfits from the new ranges, mixing and matching where possible. These would be uploaded to the shop's facebook page, which Angela now also had access to.

They broke for a coffee as the shop was clear again by half-past eleven, although Tammy and Angela were still in the borrowed clothing. Sarah pointed to some unopened crates that had been delivered the previous day.

"Have a look in there, it's a new spring range I thought might appeal to teens upwards. Emily suggested it just before she went back to Dundee."

Emily, Sarah's daughter, had been working with Tammy over the Christmas period and together they had built the online advertising, which the girls were adding to today. In the next fifteen minutes a load more photos were taken and uploaded ready for the next big splash.

Back in their own clothes, and still with an empty shop, Tammy asked Angela about her hospital appointments.

"Jill was okay, but she wanted to know more about how I was dealing with the loss of dad, than how I am."

"I think, Angela, it's just one part of the whole picture. If you're depressed because of one problem then that can impinge everywhere."

"But she didn't spend hardly any time on whether I want to stay as Angela."

"Well, do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Want to stay as Angela?"

"Yes."

"So, if it's that simple she wouldn't need to ask the same question eighteen times?"

"I suppose not."

"So what about Doctor Yates? Was that the first time you've met her?"

"Yes, she said I was a little anaemic so I have to take these red pills for a month but it was suggested I eat more sprouts, cabbage and stuff."

"A sensible diet helps."

"Yeah, anyway she tells me that my hormone levels are typical for a late pubescent male. So I burst into tears, because I'm sure she's going to say no to me."

"But it isn't up to her anyway, she just puts her reports to Professor Roberts."

"That's what she said, of course I didn't have any tissues in my bag so had to borrow a few from mum."

"But what did Dr Yates say?"

"That she'll recommend to Professor Roberts that I start blockers."

"That's wonderful news!"

Tammy gave Angela a hug, Tammy was tense at first but then loosened up, reaching for a tissue when she was let go owing to a tear forming in an eye.

"Thank you Tammy."

"You're welcome."

"Girls?"

"Yes Sarah," they answered.

"Can we change the posters now, please, and start moving the stock. It's only one but the town is effectively dead so we'll do this then go home."

"Good idea."

"There isn't even enough in the safe to worry about. Never mind."

The swapping around took them the best part of an hour so shortly after two, once everything was ready for Monday morning, they headed off. Tammy and Angela were early for their lift home so went to the Castletown Hotel for a drink whilst they waited.

For a change from the usual orange juice, Tammy proposed that they celebrate Angela's latest news with a glass of wine. They sat near the bar and ordered from a passing barman. Looking around they couldn't see any familiar faces, except for the barman. Suddenly a man, looking officious, came towards them.

"I'm sorry but we cannot serve you alcoholic drinks and you must leave."

"Why wouldn't you serve us? We're both over eighteen and have been using this hotel bar for months. Where is Frances?"

"I'm sorry but I don't believe you're eighteen."

Tammy stood then reached into her bag, "here's my driving licence, I believe my friend here has hers as well."

He looked at them but wasn't convinced.

"I'm sorry but you'll have to leave."

"And I'm sorry but there will be a complaint. Who is behind this and where is Frances?"

"I'm the relief manager whilst Signor Ernesto takes a holiday. Now, please ladies, before I call the police?"

"That's a good idea." Tammy looked at the bar tender who was looking confused, Tammy signalled for him to call the police.

"There, I've done the job for you and your barman, he's a dear you know, will call the police. We'll have this sorted out in no time. Come on Angela, sit down and wait."

Angela was not keen on this approach but it would be half an hour before their transport arrived so they had to wait somewhere. Outside the snow was coming down, driven by a stiff wind.

Nearly ten minutes passed before Constable Stuart St James walked into the hotel, shaking snow off his uniform. Tammy stood to greet him.

"Hello Miss Smart, Miss Small, now what seems to be the problem?"

The relief manager approached.

"Officer I've been told that these two girls are boys in disguise and are under eighteen. I've been trying to eject them from the bar."

"Have you asked for proof of identity and age?"

"Yes. They showed me driving licences but I'm sure they're fake."

"Ladies, could you show me those licences?"

He handed them back almost immediately, "Miss Smart, I understand you will be starting driving lessons soon?"

"When the roads clear, Officer."

"A sensible approach. Now, perhaps you and I could discuss this in your office, Mister ?"

"Jones, Officer, Jones."

"Right then Mr Jones, lead on."

The girls sat back down, within a few seconds the barman approached with a tray.

"Two glasses of Prosecco?"

"Thank you." She smiled.

"Angela, a toast."

"To what?"

"To us, fighting against all the stupid people in this world."

"To us!"

It was another ten minutes before the manager returned with PC St James. The manager was not pleased to see the girls sat there, even less so as they tilted their wine glasses towards him in a show of mock respect.

"Ladies, the duty manager was something to say."

"Erm, my apologies, I was obviously mistaken."

Tammy wasn't impressed. "Mistaken? More likely fed information of doubtful quality."

"Now, now, Miss Smart."

"Sorry, Constable."

The manager slid away.

"Listen to me, you two should have left when he told you, that's the law."

"But it was for the wrong reason."

"That doesn't matter, as manager he can decide who comes in and who can't."

"So he'd have barred us this time, and in future for a false premise that is also vexatious."

"Yes."

Tammy sighed, her life experiences so far hadn't fully explained how unfair much of society is; how, for example, an aggressor can have more protection in law than the victim.

"Do you have transport home?"

"Yes, my father's coming down, he'll be here in a few minutes. Do you know who the manager spoke to?"

"Yes, but it's unfair of me to say until I've spoken to the person concerned."

"Oh well, a girl can but ask! Who is the manager anyway?"

"He's been brought here from England, Leeds I think, but I don't understand why as Frances never seems to take holidays and has never needed a relief before."

Tammy filed this information, something for Louise to tackle, maybe.

***

Tammy updated Louise after dinner and handed her the brooch. There may be something useful on the day's recording. Her father was not impressed when she spoke to him a little later in the study.

"I did it for all the best possible reasons, Dad."

"I don't doubt it, but it was still wrong and could have back-fired badly."

"But it didn't."

"Not this time, but don't you ever pull that stunt again."

"Yes Dad."

"What are your plans for tomorrow?"

"None right now except some homework."

"So maybe Angela can come over so you can work together?"

"And you get time with Joan?"

"That's a possibility, we do have some things to discuss."

"Is there still more to do now that we've had George's funeral?"

"Yes, we're just waiting for the inquest to start. That could be another few weeks but could prove to be interesting as I understand a good list of witnesses is being called, including yourself."

"What fun."

"I thought you'd like that. Expect a summons soon. It'll be a day, or two off school."

"Right now I don't want any time off school."

"Understandable."

There was a knock on the door and Louise entered.

"I hope you don't mind me interrupting but I've found something."

She was holding a tablet in her hand with a frozen shot from the hotel bar that afternoon. Louise played the clip, which was taken when Tammy and Angela arrived, looking around before choosing where to sit.

"I remember that, there wasn't a single face I knew."

"Maybe Tammy, but there was someone there who was definitely looking out for you, watch."

A lady in her late forties or early fifties rose as the girls entered the bar and was seen heading towards the ladies toilet when Tammy was sitting down.

"I remember her, but I have no idea who she is."

"Her names's Fiona and she's a close friend of Yvonne Stewart."

"Oh."

Richard paused before responding.

"I wonder what their aim is?" He asked nobody in particular.

"Is there anything in George's will that's suspicious?"

"No Louise, it was written just after they first moved up here and hadn't changed. Joan eventually found it in an old biscuit tin along with the deeds for their home in Bletchley."

Tammy yawned. "If you don't mind, I'll head up."

"Okay, good night Tammy."

She gave her father a kiss and left the study. Elsie was in the sitting room and Tammy was tempted to speak to her but it was clear that Elsie was also very tired. Slowly Tammy took herself up to her room.

She was in bed, asleep, within fifteen minutes.

up
405 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just For Fun

And out of curiosity, I went to a site and calculated the sunrise and sunset times for Thurso. Sorry that the year is wrong.

1-5- 2015; 58°+ North, 3°+ East
sunrise: 8:34 AM
sunset: 3:09 PM

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Dreary winter.

We're 45.5 Degrees Lat, so have it much easier at about 2 hours more daylight. I wonder why they are so out to get Tammy? Will this lead to a kidnapping?

Gwen

45.5 Degrees Lat

WillowD's picture

Cool. I also grew up at 45.5 degrees latitude. The town a half hour south of us was at 45 degrees latitude and contained Santa's Village, located half way to the north pole. It was a nice tourist trap for kids. My favorite part of it was a display in the middle of the path containing baby rattlers. (The only poisonous snakes in southern Ontario are rattle snakes.) You go to look in it and there are some rattles to give to babies.

Curiously enough, I now live in Ottawa at almost exactly the same latitude.

Very Uncomfortable

littlerocksilver's picture

Obviously, Yvonne has a corncob shoved into a place where the sun doesn't shine. Maybe that's two places. She obviously has a deep seated problem which we will eventually, hopefully find out.

Portia

Overheard Conversation

Yvonne was having and affair with George Small. Seems to me that the conversation between Yvonne and her friend Fiona in Ch. 1 that Louise overheard pretty much explains her motivations.

Delighted

I'm delighted to see the continuation of Tammy's story. Wonder if Yvonne will figure out that she needs to cool it a bit when she's told that her action regarding Tammy was set aside? She hasn't been particularly careful so far; so, probably not.

Humm, I am now wondering if

Humm, I am now wondering if these actions being taken against Tammy, with Angela simply being caught up in them by association; are all based on Tammy's Mum trying to get back at dear old Dad. She would lots of reasons to do so, one big one is the loss of her 'lover/boss'.

Tara Has Plenty of Problems of Her Own

Tara's not causing problems for Tammy. She has to worry about government prosecution over her possible involvement in her former boyfriend's activities, and her financial resources are limited. Additionally, she's apologized to Tammy for her reaction to Tammy's emergence (Ch 14 previous book).

more excitement

Come on Elsie, buck up and fight for your good health, and Tammy be a bit less prickly unlless its really needed, I also like to see Angela getting some backbone at last. Hey hey, go for it Richard, you dogggg! and lets see the back of Yvonne as soon as possible, she seems to be the most nasty character in the whole series of books so far.

Even In London

joannebarbarella's picture

In winter the sun doesn't rise until 8 a.m. and sets at about 3.30, but as it's usually heavily clouded you can't tell and it's really miserable and the temperature is around freezing. Then it drizzles all day just for fun. I believe this is why the British left their shores and established an empire. They were looking for somewhere decent to live.

There certainly seems to be a group who are out to make life miserable for Tammy and Angela. Fortunately there are also more rational people looking at the accusations in a fairer light. Still, what would this story be without the trials and tribulations?

Ugh.

Podracer's picture

Careful with that venom, Yvonne, it isn't bothered who it poisons.
So it looks like the girls and families are to get no respite from the plot, I hope their stamina holds out. Elsie may need some lending so I'm glad that Tammy is showing some consideration. Maybe she will be able to give some support as well without hurting Elsie's pride.

"Reach for the sun."

Woodwork is full of them

Jamie Lee's picture

How far will things go before Yvonne is out the door? She has been caught in a lie, something which would get any student into serious trouble. The video may not be used to dismiss her, but it's enough to let her know they know she was lying.

The idea of never going into Yvonne's office alone if prudent. Or being anywhere with her alone is a good idea. Yvonne has the school covered and it looks like Fiona has the town covered, so what's their game? Except the mention about being boys, everything else could be considered slanderous, and subject to legal action.

These two woman don't really know their adversary very well, or they'd call off their little plan.

Others have feelings too.

The Scottish Teachers Union

WillowD's picture

And that answers the question a number of us brought up in the last chapter as to why the video could not be used.