Jessica's Story - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 2

Peter gets caught wearing a dress at school, and this leads to major developments at home. With his bigoted father still being as stubborn as ever, he gets unexpected help from his mother, Anne. The newly named Jessica has been given a chance to prove herself.

Jessica's Story – Part 2

Peter had to wait until after the Easter holidays to get his break concerning the storeroom. He had been making his way past the door as often as possible during breaktimes, avoiding any teachers at the same time. If one spotted him, they told him to go outside. Wet breaks didn't allow him any opportunity as he had to stay in his classroom.

But the opportunity did arrive. The door was ajar and nobody was watching. He crept in and closed the door. The light was already on, so that was a help. The room was fairly big. Mainly full of books, pencils and other school equipment, it was also used to store other things such as Christmas decorations and the items that interested Peter: costumes.

He headed for the back of the room and rummaged through the clothes on the portable clothes rack. There were costumes for both boys and girls, though most looked a little too big. He found a dress that appeared was designed for a princess. It was pink and hung down to his feet. He quickly took off his trousers and jumper and carefully put on the dress. It was still a bit big and the back was designed to be done up by someone else. Nonetheless, he looked down at himself. For this moment, he was in heaven.

Miss Abbot had been sorting through the room and was on her way back after taking some books to her classroom. She hadn't planned on being caught in a conversation with another teacher. She eventually returned to the room to find the door closed.

“That's funny, I thought I'd left it open?” she thought. She noticed the door was still unlocked and entered.

“What are you doing in here?!” she gasped as she noticed Peter.

Only when he turned to face her, his face pale with fear, did she suddenly realise what he was wearing.

“Peter Brook, what I may ask, are you doing wearing that dress?!” she asked.

Peter was frozen with fear. Sensing this, she went up to him and said in a softer tone.

“You shouldn't be in here, this room is for teachers only. Now, I think you need to get out of that and put on your own clothes. Besides, you do look good in that!” she chuckled.

Peter didn't see the funny side and continued to look frightened.

“Please don't tell anyone!” he stammered.

“Ok, but first, whats this all about?” she asked, as she helped him out of the dress.

He was hesitant to reply. “I can't tell you.”

“So, you are too frightened to tell me? I won't bite, you know.”

Tears were rolling down his cheeks. “You promise?”

“Promise!” she said.

“I want to be a girl!” he sobbed.

She hugged him and helped him to dry his tears. “You want to be a girl? Well, that explains your current situation. I won't tell anyone about this, okay?”

He still looked uncertain.

“Do your parents know?” she said calmly.

“Please don't tell them!” he cried.

“Here, use this.” she handed him another tissue. “So, you want to be a girl? Surely there's nothing wrong with being a boy, is there?”

“I hate being a boy!” he said, now putting on his trousers. She merely looked at him, knowing not what to say.

She spoke no more until he was dressed and they left the storeroom.

“Promise me you won't go in there again?” she asked him.

“No miss.” he said sadly.

“Okay, now head back to your classroom, breaktime is almost over.”

He turned and walked away.

“What was all that about?” asked another teacher: Mrs Phelps, who had just this moment showed up.

“Peter Brook, I've just found him in there. You wouldn't believe it but I found him wearing one of the school dresses.” said Miss Abbot.

“Peter Brook? You mean Sandra Brook's brother?” said Mrs Phelps.

“He's the only one I know. I don't teach him but during breaktimes you see him with her.”

“Wearing a dress? Whatever for?” she asked.

“Don't spread it 'round but he told me he wants to be a girl.” said Miss Abbot quietly.

“Wants to be a girl? Do his parents know?” said Mrs Phelps.

“I don't think so, though he seems very keen that they don't. Trust me, he was in tears just now.”

“I think they should know, they might be able to help him.” Mrs Phelps suggested.

“I hope so, he doesn't seem like a bad boy at all.”

* * *

“Mrs Brook, my name is Julia Abbot and I'm calling on behalf of your son Peter.”

“Whats wrong with my son? He hasn't done anything wrong has he?” said Anne answering the phone.

“Not exactly, but I feel that we need to discuss your son in private, along with your husband.” replied the teacher.

“Ok, will this afternoon do?” said Anne.

“Sure, come straight in after school.”

Anne put the phone down and wondered. “What had Peter done, and why the need to talk?” She picked up the phone again and dialled.

“Adam, can you finish a bit earlier today?” she said to her husband.

“Consider yourself lucky, I can. Whats up?”

“Peter. The school has just phoned, they want us to go round this afternoon.” replied Anne.

“He's in trouble, right? Didn't think it possible, apart from something else.” came the reply.

“I suspect it could be that something else.” Anne said. There was a pause.

“Okay, lets hope the papers don't get hold of it.” said Adam and put the phone down.

“You did what?!” screamed Sandra as she got an account of the storeroom episode from Peter.

They were heading down the school path, the school day was over.

“You are lucky to be not in deeper trouble, lets hope... oh hi mommy, daddy?!”

She looked to see both parents standing in their way. Peter looked up and gulped. Deeper trouble had arrived.

They turned and headed back to the school. It appeared Miss Abbot was waiting there to greet them.

“Hello Mrs Brook, I'm Miss Abbot, I called you earlier.” she said upon greeting them. “And this is..?” she asked of the boy that was being carried by her.

“This is Edward, my youngest. So whats our Peter been up to?” asked Anne as they made their way to an empty classroom.

“His only crime if any was to go into the main storeroom which is off limits to pupils. He hasn't stolen anything, I can assure you.” said Miss Abbot.

“So what was he doing in there?” asked Adam.

Peter and Sandra sat at some desks and watched, their faces were pale. Peter was a bag of nerves.

“I'm not sure how to put this, he was wearing some clothes from the school drama wardrobe, to be more precise: a dress.”

Miss Abbot could tell she had crossed a line with that last bit. Adam's face suddenly looked cold.

“I knew you lied – you couldn't try to be a boy for me or anyone it seems!” cried Adam, turning to Peter.

“So you did know about his interest in girls clothes?” added Miss Abbot, seemingly appalled by Mr Brook's sudden aggressive attitude.

“We found him wearing his sister's clothes last year, we were hoping it was just a phase.” said Anne. She noticed the look on Peter's face.

“Well, he did tell me clearly that he wishes to be a girl.” Miss Abbot said, trying to remain calm.

“He's deeply mistaken, hes a boy! Only poofs wear girl clothes!” said Adam.

“Mr Brook, I've read about children like this in the papers. You may be doing wrong by trying to forcing him to conform to society's standards.” said Miss Abbot, who was already disliking Adam's attitude.

“So you suggest I let him be a freak?” he snapped.

“No, I'm not suggesting you do let him be 'himself' but I don't want to hear about you bullying him.” she replied.

Adam stood up and turned to go. “I've had enough, I don't like being told how to handle my own kids.”

He turned to his wife and children. “Come on, lets go!”

Miss Abbot noticed that Peter was in tears. She watched him get up and walk out behind them. Once they had left, she slumped in her chair and sighed.

“When he said he didn't want his parents to find out, this is what he meant.” she sighed. She felt wracked with guilt over this and wished she hadn't taken Mrs Phelps' advice.

In the car, Adam Brook was making his thoughts further known. He had yet to start the car.

“I'm telling you Peter, you are a boy and that is final, I don't want you wearing girls clothes EVER AGAIN! Do you understand me?”

Peter didn't immediately respond. “No.” he said bluntly

Everyone turned to look at him.

“No!” he repeated, in a more confident voice. “I'm not a boy, I'm a girl and I don't care what you think!”

“You are just 6 years old, you cannot decide your life yet!” shouted Adam.

“I have, I WANT TO BE A GIRL!” he replied crossly

Adam was looking at a boy with a defiant look in his eyes. The boy was fighting back and his pride was repulsed by it. He turned around and started the car. Both father and son were silent for the journey back. Upon arriving, Peter stormed to his room and slammed the door. Adam was about to follow but Anne held him back.

“What are you doing? He needs to be told!” he said to her.

“You've said enough for one day. He's quite clearly upset and needs to calm down.” she told him.

“He needs to understand!” he said, his temper giving way to tears as he started to breakdown.

“We all need to understand.” she replied. “Your attitude may have caused irreparable damage already!”

“What do you mean? We already understand. It's just Peter who doesn't!”

“Peter, it appears, is very much determined. It may be beyond even you to convince him to change his mind now.” she replied.

His face still showed anger. Anne's words didn't go down well, but her face now looked stern too.

“I want my son in one piece. I'm concerned for his welfare as well as his life choices.” she added.

Adam went to the living room and sat down. Anne went and got the high chair for Edward and put him in it.

“Sandra!” she called.

“Yes mommy?” she replied.

“Go and see how your brother is. You might be the only one he'll talk to for now.”

“You sure?”

“Positive.” Anne replied, watching her daughter turn and head for the stairs.

“Peter? You in there?” Sandra called through his door. “Let me in, we need to talk.”

Peter opened the door, tear stains down his cheeks. Sandra went to him and wrapped her arms around him. He just stood there and let her, he felt better with her around.

“You have been a fool today, you know daddy will never forgive you for what you said.”

“I don't care, I meant it, every word. Besides, aren't you banned from coming in here?”

“Mommy told me to see you. I presume that lifts the ban for now.”

“So what are we to talk about? I'm in trouble for life, thats for sure.” he said sitting on his bed.

“I don't know. Can I sit here and keep you company?” she suggested.

He moved over to one side on his bed. She took the invite and sat beside him.

“I don't understand why daddy hates you over this. Surely dressing up in dresses isn't a crime.” she said.

“I don't know either. Mom seems to be the same too.” Peter replied.

“ Back to dresses, you said you picked a pink one. I saw that one used in a play last year. You at least have good taste, that's a very nice dress. I would have loved to have seen you in it!”

“You would?” he said, a glint of a smile on his face.

“Well, you always looked good in my clothes.” she added smiling.

“I wish for those days again.” he said.

“I do too!” she added.

* * *

Anne and Adam were downstairs discussing what to do next.

“At the moment, as things stand, you'll never persuade him to be a boy. He clearly wants to be a girl.” said Anne.

“I don't want a freak as a son. It's bad enough when your brother is one!” said Adam.

“I sometimes don't know why you still reject him/her. Didn't you hear Helen say that he/she still asks about you?” she said.

“I don't know why? It knows I'm not interested in speaking to it!” he said dejectedly.

“You're just too embarrassed, just admit it!” she said.

“I'm not embarrassed! I just don't want to be associated with it!”

“Well, as long as nobody else knows, you're perfectly safe.” she replied.

“Exactly!” he followed.

“Your sibling might talk about you though?” Anne suggested, now deciding on the generic term for brother/sister.

He decided not to answer that one.

“Well, back to our son, I'm hating myself to admitting it, but we may be better off letting him be a girl.” she added.

“What?! I'm not letting myself be seen as a bad father!” he cried.

“Some would see you as one if you don't.” she said.

“I'm not doing it! He will be a boy!”

“But an unhappy one at that.” she sighed. “I've noticed him looking miserable the past week or so.”

“So you are suggesting we let him be a girl? You've suddenly changed your attitude?” he said, his face turning red.

“I would rather have a happy daughter than a miserable son. And yes, maybe I have had a change of mind!” she admitted. She turned and headed upstairs. She headed for Peters room and knocked.

“Can I come in?”

Peter looked at Sandra and went to open the door.

“Yes?” he said, his voice was cold. She repeated her question and he gestured her in.

“You must hate us now. I presume you still want to be a girl?”

“Yes, I do.” he said, his contempt for his parents still apparent.

“I just want to apologise for my own misgivings. I'm prepared to let you wear skirts and dresses.” said Anne.

“What?! You sure? What about dad?” said Peter, doubting her.

Sandra just looked at her in disbelief.

“He's still refusing to budge. I just want to see you happy.” replied Anne.

“So, does that mean he can play in my room again?” asked Sandra.

“Yes. But he'll be refined to wearing girls clothes when your dad isn't about, or in your room.” Anne added with a gulp.

“How come?” they both asked.

“I don't think your dad is ready to see you as a girl, so just for now, be a boy for him.”

“I thought you were with daddy.” said Sandra. Peter's glance backed up the question.

“I'm not in full support of your dad's methods. I don't like the way he's been shouting at you. I'm still against you wanting to be a girl though.”

“Well, I'm not changing my mind. I want to be a girl!” said Peter.

“And I'm with him. Peter has been more like a sister to me than a brother.” said Sandra, getting a harsh look from Anne.

“I'm making a deal. You can live as a girl. If you decide after a while that you don't want to be a girl, you can be a boy again.”

Peter pondered this. “But you heard me. I want to be a girl. I'll never change my mind!”

“We'll see.” she said.

“But if you gonna let me be a girl, can I ask you one more thing?” he said

“Whats that son?” asked Anne.

“Can I grow my hair long?”

“I suppose you can. If you are to live as a girl, it's only fair you can wear your hair long if you wish.” she said, wondering if she was doing the right thing.

“Thanks mommy!” he said rushing to hug her.

She took him and suddenly realised he used “Mommy”.

* * *

When Anne had gone, Sandra turned to him.

“Mommy won't win. She'll have to admit that you're a girl eventually.” she said.

“I hope so, but dad isn't going to agree.” he added

“You're right, you may never win him over.” she admitted. She then smiled at him. “Now that mommy has allowed us to, I want you to do something!”

“What?” he said

“I want to have a tea party with you – dresses only!” she said brightly.

Peter smiled and got up. She got to her feet and lead him to her room. Inside, she sorted him out a dress to wear and he quickly got out of his boys clothes and put it on.

“So, you can have long hair. I've always wanted to see you with long hair, now I'm going to get the chance!” she giggled.

Anne went back downstairs, not entirely confident, but now knowing that a reasonable plan had been put in place.

“I've told him he can wear girls clothes and grow his hair, but you won't be seeing him like that.” she told Adam. His face expressed disgust.

“If you've allowed him to do all that, I certainly don't want to see him.” he said

“Look, if this is a phase, he'll be your son again in no time. This maybe the only way about it.” she said.

“I hope so. But to have him living like that? I hope this idea works, Anne.” he replied.

She turned and went to start preparing dinner in the kitchen. When it was nearly done, she decided to go back upstairs. She soon heard the chattering from Sandra's room. She opened the door to see what appeared at first to be two girls playing, though while one had long medium brown hair, the other had boyishly short dark brown hair. She just looked, holding a hand across her mouth. The two children just looked at her.

“If I didn't know better, I'd have thought you were two girls.”

“But we are.” said Peter.

“But you have short hair.” said Anne. “Its the only give away.”

“I can't wait for it start growing. Sis wants to style it when its long enough.” he said.

“I'll have to buy you a wig then, you can wear that till your own hair is long enough.”

“Thanks mommy!” he squealed, hugging her.

“Ok, I'll see what I can do, besides, my whole point coming up was to say that dinner is almost ready.”

“Ok, we'll be... oh, what about daddy?” said Peter.

“I'll persuade him to eat in the living room!” said Anne.

She escorted Peter down, making sure the living room door was closed enough for no one to see through the gap. So, it resulted in just the four of them: Anne, Sandra, Peter and Edward in the kitchen eating their dinner. Anne couldn't keep her eyes off Peter, the sight of him in female attire was still something she couldn't get used to. From the look of things, she'd have to get used to it.

“You'll need a new name, have you any ideas?” she asked him.

“I'm not sure.” he replied.

“I like Jessica. I've always thought that would suit him.” added Sandra.

Anne smiled, suggesting that she liked it too. “What does the new girl think?”

“Jessica Brook? I like it!” said Peter with a smile.

“So thats sorted.” said Anne. “I do have one thing to mention.”

“Whats that?” said Peter.

“Clothes. You'll need some of your own and your boys clothes: I'll box them up and put them in the loft.” she said.

“Surely I'll still need them?” said Peter. “My boy clothes.”

“I want to see how serious you are about being a girl. You can always turn back now and be a boy again.” she added. “I'll keep your school uniform available.”

“I never want to be a boy again.” he told her.

“Say that in a few weeks time.”

“I will. And the next few months, and the next few years.” he said confidently.

“We'll see.” she smiled.

“Honestly, I want Jessica around forever.” said Sandra “She's more fun to play with!”

“Well, you know her, I've only just been introduced to her.” said Anne.

“Once you know her, you won't want to let her go!” said Peter with a sly smile.

* * *

Anne escorted them back upstairs before going to see Adam.

“I've told him the score, he can turn back whenever he likes, though for now, that's a definite no.” she told him.

“He'll want to turn back if he has any brains.” said Adam.

“Well, I'm giving him this chance. You may have to accept the fact that you'll have two daughters instead of one soon.” she said leaving.

“Your plan has fell through already? Told you it was crap!” he shouted through the door.

She decided then to call Helen. She took the phone upstairs as she didn't want Adam to overhear.

“Hi Helen, its Anne. I'm just ringing to let you know about Peter.”

“Hi, so what's up with my grandson? I presume you've sorted out his problem?”

“Sort of, I'm allowing him to be a girl out of school.”

“Oh, you've accepted him, but what about Adam?”

“Not entirely. I'm just testing him.” said Anne. “As for Adam, not having it. He refuses to see Peter in a dress, he still wants him as a son.”

“No surprises there then. So how come you've decided to take control?”

“I've just gotten sick of Adam's attitude, his pig arrogance. I felt he was putting too much pressure on him. It peaked just today after school. Found out Peter had worn a dress in school and we were called in. Adam just snapped in front of the teacher and left Peter in tears. It then continued in the car. I thought enough was enough and that something had to be done. I don't know whether I've done the right thing.” Anne was now sobbing.

“Why's that?” answered Helen.

“I saw him playing with his sister dressed as a girl – he looks just like her, minus the long hair. He looked so at ease, as though he belonged. Have I killed my own son?” said Anne.

“Don't blame yourself. I did that with Sally. I thought she was making a mistake and then when I saw her after the surgery, I realised she was right all along. Look here, in the end you'll be getting another daughter. Trust me, I found a new friend in mine.”

“So, I'm doing the right thing? I'm hoping he'll change his mind, but that looks out of the question at the moment.” Anne said.

“That's the trouble. You've given him the chance he has been waiting for. Don't trouble yourself though, you may like the result!” said Helen.

“But Adam wont! I might be able to cope, but if he doesn't, what then?” replied Anne.

“Oh sod him! Peter is the one to worry about at the moment. Don't let him down.”

“Ok, thanks. Bye” Anne put down the phone.

She sat there and thought. Peter was possibly leaving this world and Jessica was taking his place. This was going to be a tough task, but it was up to her to make it as smooth as possible for both herself and Peter.

Peter had to wait till the weekend before getting his wig. Adam decided to stay at home, so Anne took both Peter and Sandra to town in the car. She had decided that Adam could spend the day looking after Edward. Peter, for the sake of his short hair, went in boys clothes.

“If I get you the wig first, we might be able to have you spend the rest of the day as Jessica.” she told Peter.

“Great!” he cried.

“They found a shop that sold reasonably priced wigs. She took him in and asked him what sort he'd like. Deciding to stick close to his natural colour, he chose a dark brown straight wig which reached just below his shoulders. He looked at himself in the mirror and admired how the wig framed his face. The smile said it all.

“WOW! You look amazing sis!” cried Sandra as she saw the new look Jessica with long hair.

“Just need to get this pretty young girl some clothes now!” said Anne, paying the woman behind the counter.

With the wig in a bag for now, the three of them headed for the clothes shops. Anne already knew that her wallet was going to be well used, though she hadn't quite expected to be buying for two. She was a bit nervous about taking her son into the girls department for clothes, not just for her son's sake but for her own. She felt it best that they buy some clothes for him to change into first.

It did help that Peter was similar in size to his sister, so getting some clothes was easy. It was now just a matter of where he could go to change. The answer was simple in the end: a mother and child toilet. She found one in the shopping centre and hoped that no one paid too much attention to them going in.

“Ok, lets get your clothes off and put these on.” she said to him. She noticed that his face was beaming at the prospect of changing into girls attire. Taking the girls clothes and shoes from the bags and putting his boys clothes in them, she watched as he began to put on the clothes himself.

“You're a quick learner?” she said.

“Well, sister has shown me.” he said. Anne just sighed at this. Sandra, who was also in the room, just smiled proudly.

With the clothes and shoes fitted, it was time to put on the wig. She used a comb to tidy it up and stood back. She went pale. Peter looked every inch a girl.

“Where has my son gone?” she sighed. She looked at him and realised that Peter may already be a lost cause.

Sandra came to look and she too was taken by surprise. She went up and hugged him. “My pretty young sister! You okay mommy?” she turned to find Anne still looking a little faint. She was in still in shock.

“Can we go and get some more clothes now mommy?” asked Peter.

“Certainly, lets go.” she replied, recovering her composure.

“Yeah, there was this one dress I liked.” said Sandra.

“I thought this was a shopping trip for Peter?” she replied.

“You mean Jessica? Peter is a boy.” corrected Sandra.

“Oh yes, I forgot. Sorry Jessica.” she said.

She turned and opened the door. They went out and headed back into the crowded corridors of the shopping centre. She was the more nervous of the small party – Jessica seemed right at home and started to skip along. There was clearly no chance of this young girl being outed as a boy.

“The war is lost! Adam will just have to accept that Peter is no more.” she said quietly to herself. She was fighting back the urge to cry.

With Jessica acting so natural for a girl, Anne realised her fears were unjust. When they continued to shop, the store assistants treated her for what they saw – a pretty young girl.

“You must be proud to have two beautiful young daughters.” said the one.

“Yes, I am!” she answered, trying to sound calm.

As they left, the two girls asked in unison “Can we have something to eat please?”

“Sure, let's find somewhere, shall we.”

After finding a cafe, they sat down and started to eat.

“Thanks for making my wish come true, mommy!” said Jessica.

“And what was that? Oh, I know, for making you a girl.” said Anne, answering her own question.

“How did you know that was my wish?” replied Jessica.

“I think we all guessed it would be that.” she sighed. She couldn't take her eyes off Jessica.

“And for making mine come true!” said Sandra to Jessica.

“And what wish would that be?” asked Anne instead.

“I wished for a younger sister!” she chuckled.

With Anne now struggling under the weight of some serious shopping, they headed back to the car.

“Do you think I should show daddy my new clothes?” Jessica suggested, not too confidently.

“I don't think it would be a good idea. I suggest that that idea be never mentioned again, not for a while anyway. But if you want to show off your new clothes, I think there is someone who'd be interested.” she said.

Sandra and Jessica noticed Anne pull the car up outside a familiar house.

“Gran! You've brought us to see Gran!” cried Jessica.

“Yes, she knows about you and I believe she would like to see my other daughter.”

* * *

Helen answered the door to find her daughter-in-law, her granddaughter Sandra and one other girl.

“Hello, wasn't expecting this? By the way, who's this young lady?” she pointed to Jessica.

“This..is..Peter, though he likes to be called Jessica now.” stammered Anne

Helen knelt down to take a closer look at Jessica.

“You are one pretty young girl. Your sister must be very jealous of you.” she said to Jessica.

“Not quite, I'm still prettier!” said Sandra with a coy smile.

“Not!” said Jessica, retaliating.

“So am!” said Sandra, hitting back.

“Ok, stop fighting, will you!” said Helen, though it was plain obvious that this was no real fight – they were smiling at each other.

“Come in then, I'll put the kettle on.” added Helen, as she led them into the house.

In the living room, the two girls had brought in dolls from the toy box in the spare room. They were too busy playing with them to hear what Anne and Helen were saying.

“I've just been and got some new clothes for him, I mean her. When I look at her, even now, I get the feeling that Peter is gone for good.” Anne said.

“He does look very comfortable like that. You may well be right, but you've got a wonderful daughter in his place.” said Helen.

“I know, I just can't believe it, its just like flicking a switch. Peter was there one second, Jessica is there the next. I'm just wondering how he's going to cope with school for now?”

“You reckon they might cause problems for him?”

“No, well, not yet. For now, its still Peter going to school. Now Jessica is here, will Peter come back, even for just half a day?”

“I don't disagree with you, you may be right, but he just needs to know that for now, it is just part-time. Maybe, you can go full time with her in September, new school year, you know?” said Helen.

“You may have the answer, but I'm still worried for him. He's still young and vunerable.”

“You are right to be worried, after all, it's part of being a parent. I suppose though, your main concern is still Adam?” said Helen.

“You're right there, especially after seeing Jessica. I explained to him that it could be a phase. The more I look at Jessica, the more I believe otherwise. I don't think he'll accept her, I'm finding it tricky! If Peter does disappear completely, I'm afraid to think what Adam might do.”

“Adam has been like this since he discovered Sally in my wardrobe a good many years ago. He never got over it and has since convinced himself that my Michael's death was all Sally's fault.” said Helen.

“He's never told me this.” said Anne. “We had just got engaged when his father passed away.”

“Michael's cancer was diagnosed just before Sally admitted to wanting to be a woman. It was just coincidence. When they diagnosed it, the cancer had been there a few weeks. Well, he fought the disease valantly and we thought he'd beat it. But then we discovered it had come back and worse than ever. We were all devastated, especially when the doctor informed us that it was terminal.” said Helen, wiping back the tears.

Anne just listened with interest, her eyes for once were no longer focused on Jessica.

“When we found out, it was decided out of interest to tell Sally about her father. She was still Steven at the time and we hadn't seen or heard from her since she left. She had left home soon after coming out. When she reappeared, she was in a blouse and skirt and her hair past her shoulders. We were all shocked at this, and refused to let her see Michael. We were wrong to do that, I now feel. Michael died just a few days after Sally arrived. Adam used this as further reason to hate her. They argued about it, and John and I had to separate them. Adam then stormed out of the room, leaving Sally in a tearful state. This was the moment John and I realised what had happened during that lengthy spell she had been away for.”

“So what happened?” asked Anne.

“Sally told us that she'd been close to taking her own life on more than one occasion. She was in a rut, with hardly any money. Thankfully, she did have friends like her who helped her. Several visits to a therapist convinced her that she had a life to lead. She then started to undergo hormone therapy to become a woman full time. She earned her keep by by working at a gay night club, working behind the bar. Thanks to our hatred, our son nearly died. To live with guilt like that is a fate worse than death in my opinion. We saw that she was much happier as a woman and decided to help her finish the journey.”

“So, you helped her become a woman?” said Anne. “I presume John is okay with this?”

“We helped her by at least helping her pay the rent on her apartment. John is certainly okay with her, of course he lives up north now with a family of his own. He sometimes brings them down for visits, usually at Christmas, but not often. As for Sally, she now has another job, helping to run a shop for transgendered people like herself.”

“There are shops for people like her?” said Anne, startled.

“Yes, you may find that Jessica might benefit from visiting such stores in the future. But you need to see a specialist first. The road ahead will be tough if Jessica remains for both her and you. All I can say is, be there for her, she needs all the support she can get.”

“Ok, she needs support.” Anne said, turning her gaze back to Jessica, who was continuing to play with the doll. “Where can I find a specialist?”

“Sally should be able to put you in touch with one. I'll give her a ring if you like.” said Helen.

As Helen went to call her daughter, Anne turned to face Jessica.

“What was all that about mommy?” asked Sandra.

“Oh, we was just discussing your Aunt Sally.” she said, suddenly turning to her other daughter.

“Who's she? I never knew we had an aunt? I've heard of Uncle John, but not Aunt Sally.” added Jessica.

“Well, shes your dad's sister. Dad doesn't like talking about her.” said Anne, beginning to be defensive.

“Whats wrong with her?” they both asked.

Anne pondered whether to tell them. As she did so, Helen returned.

“I've got the details here on a piece of paper. She gave me some website addresses for some support groups” she said, handing Anne a piece of paper.

On the paper was the address and contact details for a gender therapist, plus as mentioned, some website addresses for support groups who helped those with transgendered children.

“I'm sorry to say this, but we don't have a computer.” said Anne.

“You could always go to the library and use theirs” suggested Helen. “By the way, Sally would like to meet you, says she can offer you help.”

“So, what's wrong with Aunt Sally?” said Sandra and Jessica, who were keen to be answered.

“Nothings wrong with her.” said Helen.

“I told them that their dad doesn't like her and they want to know why.” said Anne apologetically.

“Well, it's best that you know, but don't tell anyone else I told you, but your Aunt Sally used to be a man.” said Helen to the two girls. They both looked in wonder.

“Jessica, she had the same problem as you. She was born a boy but always wanted to be a girl.” said Anne.

Jessica just stared in wonder. “If she can become a girl, then I can too?”

“Jessica, that is what we were talking about – how to make you a real girl, but you need to see a doctor first.” said Anne.

“So, I can get rid of this?” said Jessica, pointing to the top of her skirt.

“You will be able to in time, but not now.” said Helen, understanding the question. “But you just need to be a good girl and do as your mother tells you for now.”

On the way home, Jessica couldn't stop thinking about Aunt Sally and how she had become a woman. She peppered her mom with questions which got her irritated.

“Can you please just calm down Jessica! I can reasonably understand what this means to you but for now, allow me to drive.” she said.

Sandra turned to look at her “sister” and started stroking the wig. Jessica didn't stop her, she was enjoying it, the sensation of the wig on her shoulders was wonderful.

“You'll love having your hair styled!” said Sandra with a smile.

“By the way?” said Anne. “You need to take that wig off before you go to bed.”

“What?!” cried Jessica. “I want to sleep in it!”

“You can't, you will damage it. You'll just have to wait till your own hair is long enough.”

This didn't please her one bit. At least with trips to the barbers now at an end, she could watch her hair grow over the weeks to come.

When they arrived home, they got out and headed for the door. Anne stopped Jessica for a moment. She looked at the front window and caught a glance of a face peeping from behind the curtain.

“Jessica, when we go in, just head up to Sandra's room and stay in there. Sandra will be with you.” she said to her.

As they entered, Anne escorted them to the foot of the stairs so they could make their escape before Adam showed up.

“You've been a while? What you do, buy him a new wardrobe?” he said, exiting the living room.

“Yes, and we've been to see Helen. You need to sort things out with your opinions, I believe.”

“What are you suggesting? That I'm wrong about our son? I see he came in looking like a freak.”

“He came in looking like a girl, and trust me, he's a natural. By the way, how's Edward? Hope you've been looking after him properly.” she said

“I have, he's asleep, like a log.”

Anne just took the piece of paper from her bag and looked at it. She knew that an appointment had to be made soon. Putting the paper back in her bag, she went upstairs to check on the girls.

Sandra had got some hair clips and was trying to style Jessica's wig. Both looked as Anne entered.

“Here, let me do it.” she said and took the clips. She put them in place. Jessica went over to the mirror and beamed.

“Ok mommy, can you do mine next?” said Sandra.

“I think this is going to an enjoyable experience, having two daughters rather than one.” she thought as she started on the older girl's hair.

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Good Support Group

littlerocksilver's picture

... is essential; however, a father terrified of losing a son he never had is going to be a problem, unless he has an epiphany. I think daddy's sister needs to come forward.

Portia

Avoiding spoilers

Ok, so Jessica has had a door opened for her. I won't go into too many details, but the door does open wider still in the coming parts. There are a good many parts waiting to be posted here, and most are already on Fictionmania.

Seems to me that Adam needs

Seems to me that Adam needs counseling even more than Jessica or Anne. If he is blaming his sister for their father's death, that definitely needs to be addressed. What I am picking up though, is that he is another one of those types who believe in Macho and only Macho to define who or what is a man. Sad way of life indeed to be so rigid in your outlook and life. Anne needs to find somewhere very safe, in public, and place Sandra and Jessica there with lots of other children, especially with girls, have them dressed in clothing he doesn't recognize, and then have him try to identify his so-called son.

Support

Leigh Veritas's picture

Support is something we all need. I think the fathers being to stubborn for his own good or his family's good.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Mark Twain.

Leigh Veritas

Jessica's story part 2

This story is getting better and better