The White Wolf Chapter -46-

Printer-friendly version
Jesse has inherited his Grandfather's ranch.
Now he must fight his father to keep it while he must
honor his Grandfather's last wish of seeking Coyote.

The White Wolf

Chapter 46
Rabies

by Barbara Allan

Copyright © 2013, 2014 Barbara Allan
All Rights Reserved.

Image: Free Wallpaper from http://www.scenicreflections.com/ ~Sephrena.

Author's Note: Thank you Hope for your encouragement and help in editing. Thank you Sephrena for making the post appear professional. Most of all thank you to all who have commented or left Kudos. For those who have left comments, I answer them with what I hope is something witty and appreciated. ~Barbara.


 
Chapter 46: Rabies
 
Gabriel loaded the skunk into the back of his truck and placed Skipper on the seat in the cab. Jesse climbed in the passenger side where the old dog lay his head in her lap. She petted the dog with her good hand. Tears were silently dripping down her face. The rancher sat on the driver's side, started the truck and pulled out onto the main road. Driving one handed, he would rub the dog thinking on life.

The girl grabbed the skunk out of the back while the cowboy carried the dog into the vet's office. The receptionist greeted them. “Hi Skipper. You haven't been here for awhile. Gabriel how is your family? I remember most of our clients either by their animals or face, but I'm sorry, I don't recall you.” she said as she smiled at Far Wanderer.

The young man having set the dog down introduced the two women, “Patty, this is Jesse Hartman. Her grandfather was Bill Hartman. Jesse, this is Patricia Stone. We went to High School together. Jesse is my fiancee.”

“I wondered who captured Gabriel's heart. God knows I tried. It's nice to meet you.”

“It's nice to meet you.” said the wolf with just a tinge of jealousy in her voice.

“Oh, don't be jealous. I married Dr. Stone's son, Al, and work here in the office with his dad. Al is away at school this semester. He's working to become a vet like his father. I had to come help out here after my mother-in-law passed last year. Al studies a semester and helps his father a semester. It'll take longer to get his degree, but he'll have much more hands on experience.”

“Julie Stone used to run the office for Dr. Stone. I remember her dying last year,” the young man explained to Jesse. Turning back to Patty, “I'm sorry for your loss.”

“My sympathies on the loss of your Grandfather. He was well liked here in the office. Now, why did you bring Skipper in today?”

“Skipper was protecting Jesse's adopted daughter from a skunk and was bit. We brought the skunk in to be tested.”

“I wondered about the skunk smell. When did this happen?”

“Earlier today.”

“Oh,” the concern in the voice of the receptionist was evident. “Lets get you back to exam room one. I'll tell the doctor your here.”

The boy picked up the dog and carried him back to the exam room and placed it on the examination table. The animal didn't like being placed on the table and tried to get off. Between the slick surface and the boy holding him, the animal finally gave in to being on the table. It wasn't long before the doctor came in.

“Gabriel, it's nice to see you, but why have you brought Bill's Skipper in?”

“Doctor Stone, let me introduce to Jesse Hartman, Bill's granddaughter.”

“I thought Bill had a grandson?”

“I was a bit of a tomboy growing up. It's nice to meet you.”

“My pleasure. Tell me what is happening with Skipper.”

“He was bitten by a skunk earlier today,” offered the young lady. “I don't know if the skunk was rabid or if you can save Skipper if it was.”

“We brought the skunk in with us.” said the cowboy holding up the sack.

“You didn't handle the skunk?” ask the doctor.

“I used the medical gloves in the first aid kit after I bandaged Skipper's leg. I tried to be very careful not to get anything on me.”

“Will the rabies vaccine protect him from getting rabies?” asked the girl.

“It used to be that getting bit by a rabid animal was a death sentence. But with the work of Pasteur and others, contracting rabies by an animal bite is a rarity. The protocol, if the animal is current with its vaccinations, is to administer another rabies vaccine as soon as possible after the exposure and monitor the animal. You'll be able to take this old man home today.

“I'll send the skunk off to be tested and if it comes back that it did have rabies, the authorities will be notified. They'll put the county in quarantine until they decide that the rabies threat has been abated. The quarantine means that one can't take animals out of the county.

“Most human cases of rabies come from bites from bats. Did you know that they make a vaccine for humans? It is as effective as the vaccines for animals. If you do have a rabies outbreak on your ranch, it might be something to consider with not only the ranch hands, but also your live stock. It's fairly cheap insurance to protect the people on the ranch and your herd.”

“I'll speak with Doctor Henley,” said the girl. “What about the wild animals on the ranch? I can't gather up the wolves and other creatures to let you vaccinate them.”

“If you want to spread baits with the vaccine on your ranch, I can help or you can contact the County Extension Agent. It may be that the skunk might have been sleeping under a bush and was surprised by Skipper here. My biggest concern is that he wasn't sprayed. That indicates the skunk was acting strangely. Lets get the test results back before we make any firm plans.” The doctor took a vial out of a cabinet and filled a syringe with the contents. He stuck the needle into the muscle of the dog. “Okay, Skipper, Lets look at that bite.” He took off the bandage from Gabriel and washed the wound with peroxide. He put some ointment on the bite and bandaged the leg. “If you chew off the bandage Skipper, I'll have to put you in a cone.”

“I'll make sure he doesn't mess with his leg,” offered the young woman.

“Here's some of the ointment I put on the bite. Change the bandage a couple times a day. I'll see you back next week and we'll take a look at the wound. I should have results back from the skunk.”

“Thank you Doctor. You've been a big help.”

“Its my pleasure. By the way do you know when the last time Bill had his herd checked?”

“No, But I'll see if I can find some records back at the ranch.”

“I'll get Patty to look through our records. We can discuss this further next week when you bring Skipper in for a booster on the rabies vaccine.”

“Thank you doctor.”

“Gabriel, as your Dad's ranch is next door to Bill's he might want to consider vaccinations too. I think he might be due for his herd to be checked. With my son away at school, it will be a bit hectic for a little while, but I'll be able to fit you both in.”

“Thanks Doc,” replied the rancher. “I'll pass the message on to my Dad.” The boy picked up the dog and set it on the floor. “Do you think you can walk out of here?” he asked. The dog wagged his tail realizing he was going home and limped toward the door.

“While we're in town is there anything we need to do?” asked Gabe.

“Did you put those soil samples in your truck before we left the house?”

“Yep”

“Lets get those over to the Extension Agent and then we'll go home.”

Jesse got in the truck while the cowboy helped the dog into the cab. The dog laid his head in the lap of the girl where she petted it. “You gave us a scare, Skipper. I'm happy you're going to be alright.”

The couple visited the Extension Agent where they turned in the soil samples they had taken and to discuss getting baits to treat the wild animals on the ranch with the rabies vaccine.

“Mr. Mixon is the local rabies specialist and he is out in the field today. I'll have him call you later,” said the receptionist. “I'll pass the soil samples to the lab and send you a report later.”

“While we're here, do you have any literature on planting crops, beekeeping, wind power, and solar power?” asked the wolf.

“That's quite a list. There's a small display in the corner that has some fliers, and you should find most of the things you're looking for on this website.” replied the receptionist handing the young woman another brochure.

“Thank you. You have been very helpful.”

“It's my pleasure. If there's anything else you need, you can call or come by.”

The young couple stopped at the wholesale grocery at the edge of town to pick up a few things for the ranch. “It's a good thing I brought the truck,” the cowboy stated as he loaded two hundred pounds of flour, one hundred pounds of sugar, four gallons of maple syrup, two cases of store bought biscuits, fifty pounds of bacon, fifty pounds of sausage, a hundred pounds of oatmeal, and various other staples.

“Did we forget anything?” ask the girl. “Maybe more sugar and some cornflakes?”

“If we bought any more sugar AND cornflakes, you could expect a visit from the sheriff about moonshining.” Laughed the boy. The girl lightly punched the boy in the arm before she climbed in to the cab of the truck. The old dog resumed his position of his head in the girls lap as the boy climbed under the steering wheel.

It wasn't long before the couple arrived back at the ranch. The cowboy climbed out and helped the dog out of the cab. He carried in the smaller bags of groceries while the woman went to find the two wheel hand truck. Jesse went to find her ward while Gabe finished unloading the truck. The young girl was still snuggled up to the sister fast asleep.

“How long has she been asleep?” whispered the fiance.

“It was shortly after you left. What did the doctor say about Skipper?”

“He gave him a booster shot of vaccine and said that the effectiveness of the vaccines will protect most animals. The Vet told us they make a rabies vaccine for humans. I'm going to speak with Doc Henley about it. If the test on the skunk comes back positive for rabies, I'll get the whole ranch vaccinated.”

“What about the wild animals?”

“The doctor said that we could use baits with a vaccine. We went by the Extension Agent while we were in town. The agent in charge of rabies was out. He should call us in a few days when he has time.” While the two older girls were whispering, the small wolf began to stir.

“Merry, time to wake up. I have a surprise for you.”

A sleepy little voice asked “A surprise?”

“Yep”

“What is it?”

“If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise. Come with me.”

The two girls got off the couch and followed the wolf outside. “Skipper!” screamed the little girl. She ran over and hugged his neck as the old dog's tail wagged.

“He's going to be alright,” said Jesse.

The little girl had looked to the fiancee when she spoke. She turned back to the dog and started hugging him again.

“You're going to alright!”

The sister asked, “Was the skunk not rabid?”

“We don't know yet. But the Vet told us that today's vaccines will prevent most cases of rabies. You remember Pasteur who invented pasteurization? He began work on treating viruses such as rabies and many people built upon his work. Now rabies in domestic animals is rare.”

“It'd be great if they had a vaccine for people.”

“They do. They even have baits that one can spread in the wild lads to vaccinate the wild animals. If the skunk does come back positive, I'm going to make sure that my pack gets vaccinated.”

Two Bears walked out of the house. “I thought you were going to have the Vet put him down,” he said looking at the dog.

“He's going to be alright.”

“The skunk wasn't rabid?”

“We don't know yet. Come on into the kitchen and I'll explain while we put things away and start supper.”

Putting away the groceries the old shaman sarcastically asked, “Did you get enough?”

“No. I thought about getting more, but Gabe suggested that the Sheriff takes a dim view of moonshine.” The young shaman pulled out a pasta maker while she related what the Vet has advised her. The kitchen on the ranch could rival most of the restaurants in town with equipment and fresh ingredients. Her grandparents had installed a commercial fryer for things like wiener schnitzel, chicken, and french fries. Gail tried to feed the hands healthy, but there are times when she would indulge the tastes of the men.

“How are you going to convince the pack to eat the baits?”

“I'm not sure. I'll need to speak with the elders when the time comes. I need to ask the extension agent about the herbivores. The omnivores and carnivores should be easy. The herbivores may not need vaccines, although the Vet did say we should vaccinate the cattle.

“The other problem is convincing the hands to be vaccinated. I can get the Vet or Doc Henley to explain the validity of the vaccine and the side effects.”

“I didn't know they made a rabies vaccine for humans.”

“This was the first I heard about it. It does sound like a good idea. I'll ask George about it when we go visit.”

“I have a question, Teacher. Will you watch Merry while Gabe and I go dancing with his parents tomorrow?”


 
To Be Continued...

up
257 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rabies vaccine for humans

Rabies vaccine for humans used to be a series of three very painful injections into the abdomen, at least back around 50-60 years ago. It was finally, due to more modern vaccine, reduced to one injection. As I was a Sentry dog handler in the Air Force, albeit for a very short time; I was aware of the vaccinations for animals, and am very glad that Skipper will most likely be okay.

I had no idea.

When I grew up in TN, the local authorities would bait the hills around town with vaccinated chicken parts. The health department had local vets come to a central location to vaccinate as many pets as people would bring them. As a child, I always heard the horror stories about the consequences of getting bit by a rabid animal. What I didn't realize was the effectiveness of the efforts to reduce rabies in the US. I believe it is beginning to creep back in as this is not the threat it was and people are more relaxed about it. They are more worried about the zombie apocalypse than whether their pet is vaccinated against a real threat.

Thanks for reading and your support

Hugs

Barb

Barb Allan

Spit the bullet

I'm glad Skipper spit the bullet on this. He will be needed to keep Merry company after her surgery.

DJ

Spit the bullet

What a strange phrase. I've heard of dodging the bullet, but not spitting it. I've heard of biting the bullet and using a bullet to bite on while your pardner dug out an arrow or bullet that managed to find its way into the body. I even heard of sweating bullets, Spitting one. That one is new to me. Although, I have heard of so mad that one chews metal and spits nails or bullets. Must have lost its translation crossing the pond.

Thanks for reading and your support

Hugs

Barb

Barb Allan

Rabies Threats.

Coming from the UK where (as an Island) Rabies has been eradicated, it comes as a surprise that the rabies threat has been severely reduced by readily available and accessible vaccines. I've never really thought much about it until you raised the issue in the White Wolf. I didn't realise that there had been so many advances in the 'anti-rabies' field. Thanks Babs, very informative.

Bevs.

xx

bev_1.jpg

white wolf

any more on the way?

Salvage

This story is absolutely worth finishing. I just spent the time to re-read it, if you're not dead, you should finish it.

Best,

DJ

THIS IS A TOP STORY

Hey there! Great job on the story loved it! Please don't let this story end up like dozens of other stories, (NEVER FINISHED) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND MAY YOUR IDEAS OR MUSE SHINE BRIGHTLY TO LIGHT UP OUR USUAL DULL LIVES! Love you all! .........TASH

Wonderful story!

Even though this story isn't finished, it is still a wonderful story.

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.