My Life as a Lie (Part 2)

Printer-friendly version

Chris jerked awake as he felt Death's hand on him. His body crashed onto the floor as he fell out of his desk chair. A jolt of electricity shot up his arm followed by an uncomfortable numb feeling.

"Oh my god, Chris are you alright?"

Light poured into the room as he looked up and saw his mother towering over him. A low growl slipped from his mouth as he got himself up. She offered him her hand but he pushed it away.

"I didn't mean to scare you like that."
"Well then don't wake me up like that ever again."

He shook his head at her as he got his bearing back. That nightmare… His pulse spiked as he saw that his journal was wide open still. His words from last night looked as if there were a neon sign on the Las Vegas strip, begging any stray wanderer to come and take a look. It screamed at him saying "We bare it all!".

He hurried to close it, praying his mother hadn't seen anything. She had always been one to pry like a bug that couldn't resist the bright, sizzling glow. If she saw something that looked suspicious, she pounced. Like the time he had left some of his song lyrics in the open. For the next three weeks he had to listen to her go on about how he needed to see a psychiatrist because he was mentally unstable.

She had been sort of right. His hidden war inside his head had taken quite a toll on him. Life had never given him lemons, choosing to give him boulders instead. Boulders that were hurled down by a giant from above trying to smash him into the ground. Of course, she thought the root of his problems was elsewhere. She didn't know the real reason. He couldn't let her know the real reason.

"So why exactly are you in my room?"
"It's Tuesday."

Chris glared at her. Why did it matter that it was Tuesday? Was this what she planned on doing every Tuesday from then on? His mother sighed. Her eyes rolled as she shook her head. At least he knew where he'd gotten that habit from.

"It's Tuesday which means you have an appointment at 2:00 and it's 1:30 already."

It all dawned on him in an instant. He quickly started to get dressed, throwing on whatever clothing was closest to him. His mother crossed her arms and looked at him with disappointment in her eyes.

"You know I'm getting tired of always having to keep track of everything for you. You're twenty-one years old. You shouldn't need your mom to do everything for you."
"Not now."

Chris could feel the heat of his anger rising up inside him. He didn't have time to argue with her now. He had somewhere more important to be. If only she knew the truth. If only I could tell her the truth. He couldn't tell her though. At least not yet. His psychiatrist always asked him why and he always found some bullshit excuse. He just didn't feel ready yet.

"I need to go I'll see you later."

He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek as he ran out. He was going to be cutting it awfully close and hoped he wouldn't be late. Chris was half way out the door when he felt something pull him back in. He felt a disturbance. He turned and saw his mom reaching for his journal.

"Stay out of my room and stay away from my stuff! God, can't you ever just leave me alone?"

She looked astonished, appalled, and offended. He could her the rattle in her head shake as she stormed out of his room. Satisfied his secrets were safe, he took a quick look at his phone as the door slammed behind him. Great. Now I'm really going to be late.

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I know he told his Mom to

I know he told his Mom to stay out of his stuff, however, as angry he shows he is, I do hope she will ignore his comments and take a look thru the journal. He definitely needs help and very soon, or she will be minus one child as he will attempt suicide. I say this because all the signs are there now.

Ouch!

Andrea Lena's picture

If only she knew the truth. If only I could tell her the truth.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena