A personal history of Mutation, or how I spent my teen years. Chapter 9.

Printer-friendly version

Maggie was supplanted by Jeeves so rapidly I would have sworn it was teleportation. For all of that she wasn't knocked over or hurt, just as startled as I was.

“Mistress Min, you are unwell.”

Mental face palm. I wondered how obvious it was.

“Yes Jeeves, thank you, I had noticed.”

He pondered this for a moment before turning to Maggie.

“I am sorry Miss Johnson. You may resume; Mistress Min, I shall walk behind you, as is proper.”

I rolled my eyes as Maggie stood there, trying to catch flies in her mouth. It was the wrong season for it, but she tried anyway.

“Come on Maggie, that's about as good an apology as you're going to get. He's a bit off. I haven't had time to fix him yet.”

“...Right. OK. So... did you see what Jenny had on today?”

Sam nodded while I'm sure I looked confused.

“Jenny Prichart?”

“Yes!”

Maggie giggled. Sam snickered.

“What was wrong with what she had on today?”

She had wore a purple skirt and lavender top.

“Are you kidding? She looked so stupid! Not enough contrast. Worst fashion statement ever.”

Sam nodded. I just shrugged. I wouldn't make that mistake; after all with my hair and eye color wearing purple would look hideous.

They continued gossiping in that fashion as I led the way home; which was a little weird, come to think of it. They would be the first girls I'd ever brought home. And I'd had to change into one for it to happen.

And just as suddenly I found myself floating, my head swimming a little. Suppressing a spike of fear, I looked up into Jeeves's eyes. It took another second for it to click; he was carrying me! I tried to tell him to put me down; it took a few tries to get the words to come.

“Darn it Jeeves what are you doing?”

He put his eyes front to avoid some yahoo riding a bike on the sidewalk.

“I cannot. You were collapsing. If I put you down now, you will be unable to walk or stand.”

Maggie, unseen to my left (my head was being cradled by Jeeves somehow) corroborated.

“It's true, you just started to fall all of a sudden and Jeeves just barely caught you before you hit the ground. He's very fast.”

...Crap.

I could feel the sensation of movement, so Jeeves hadn't stopped. The motion made my vision swim a little, and the world was too bright. Jeeves was carrying me bridal style again (which was better than a fireman's carry, I supposed) but I could barely move my arms off my stomach; for some reason they felt made of lead.

“Um, look Min, if you're sick, we can do this later....”

I wanted to shake my head, but didn't dare try.

“No, this isn't an illness I can really run from or wait out. If I stay awake I'll be working. If I'm working, you guys might as well stay and watch.”

Sam surprised me.

“Not watch; help.”

“Right, sorry. My bad there. Just remember, don't touch anything unless I say to, and stay away from the 3d printer itself. It's a little... twitchy.”

I could see Maggie's compulsion to ask drag the words from her.

“How twitchy?”

“It tried to eat Jeeves when he went to put metal in it.”

Maggie and Sam pondered that. Sam struck first this time.

“Jeeves is made of metal, isn't he? Could that be the reason why he was targeted?”

I blinked. Of course, that made all kinds of sense.

“Probably, but I really don't want to risk finding out that theory is wrong. That thing is a little weird.”

“Weirder than Jeeves?”

I looked up at him.

“Nah, about the same. You'll see.”

We made it back, but Jeeves still wouldn't let me down. At his insistence, Maggie opened the garage door. She actually looked hesitant about it; something I wouldn't have expected.

Meanwhile I was getting a little less weighty – I could move my arms and legs a little now.

The sun cut the gloom of the interior nicely. The day was a little chilly, but my coat solved that problem. Jeeves ensconced me in a chair. This chair had not existed yesterday, I felt sure.

It was an office chair in black, only much larger. So large I pretty much could lose myself in it. It had cushioned armrests and a slight depression that sort of made me lean into the back of it. I didn't slide either. So if I were unconscious, or half conscious, rather than pitching forward, I would pitch back and stay in the chair, rather than bounce my head off concrete.

Ingenious. It looked a little like a modern art masterpiece, but it was ingenious.

“That's a weird chair. Where did you get it?”

“Jeeves, did you make this last night?”

“I did mistress Min. I felt it would be good for you to have a chair you could fall asleep in safely, if necessary.”

“And no one saw it?”

“Your father left this morning in quite the hurry. Your mother might have seen it, but I was not present to witness her thoughts.”

I frowned.

“And what were you doing all day then?”

“Watching you mistress Min. then cooking your lunch. Then watching you.”

I was able to move enough, so I pulled out my computer.

“And where were you doing that?”

Sam spoke up, oddly enough.

“From the large tree you eat under. It's just outside school grounds but you can see inside several classrooms with it.”

Maggie gaped at Sam as Jeeves nodded assent. I didn't want to know, but she just had to ask.

“And how do you even know that?”

“Thursday nights.”

What? That made no sense to me, but Maggie nodded slowly as if it did.

“So what happens on Thursday nights that you need a large tree outside the school for?”

They both made a point of ignoring the question, crowding in front of my computer on either side and looking at the schematics. From the way their faces colored it was potential blackmail material.

“So what's the first step?”

“Well the first step is to take the parts one piece at a time, feed them into the 3D printer, and wait for the printer to make them. After that it's simply putting the pieces together. Of course I still have a few parts to design, so I'll be doing that. It's hardly any sort of riveting amusement.”

Maggie pulled up a couple lawn chairs and unfolded them, one for herself and one for Sam. They sat down, again flanking me.

“You just let us be the judge of that. Just do what you do.”

With a shrug I started in, designing one of the blade cowlings. It looked like a big tube on the screen, and while Maggie was rapidly glancing around and watching other things (especially when the printer fired up to build the first fan blade) Sam's eyes never moved from the screen.

I had the cowling half complete when I felt myself beginning to fade again. Jeeves came back with coffee just in time. As I sipped he pulled a cushioned footstool over and rather pointedly set my feet on it. Then he removed my shoes.

Maggie watched him with wide eyes and a large grin, teeth on full display.

“What?”

If anything she stretched that grin even wider. I looked over to find Sam with a faint smile too. For her, that was the equivalent of Maggie's grin.

“Jeeves takes good care of you.”

Well of course he does. That's his job.

“He's supposed to. Thank you for the coffee Jeeves, it's wonderful.”

Sam seemed to wrestle with herself for a moment, then blurted out:

“May I have some coffee?”

I slapped my forehead.

“Crap, I'm sorry! I'm your host, and I didn't even think to ask! Jeeves would you...?”

“Certainly mistress Min.”

I spared an expectant glance at Maggie. As I expected, it didn't take long for her to chime in.

“A coke would be great Jeeves, please.”

“Of course Miss Johnson.”

Jeeves came back with the requested refreshments while I marveled at the difference having my feet propped up made. It really did seem to help with my awareness and focus. In short I felt more awake. Between that and the coffee, maybe I could finish and get this idea out of my head.

“This is... great coffee.”

I looked over; Sam had finished hers already. I looked in my mug; it was half full. She works fast.

“Sorry, should have warned you; it's something mom called “devisor coffee”. I use filtered water and beans scanned for traits shown to make the best coffee, purified by....”

Her eyes were shining brightly as she stared into mine. She was hanging on my every word; I wasn't sure if she was gleaning the meaning from them. Maggie's eyes were glazed over though.

“Right. Suffice to say that I reworked the coffee machine to make better coffee. Another cup?”

“Yes, please.”

Without a word, Jeeves grabbed our mugs, coming back moments later with our mud colored liquid gold. A murmured thanks and I was back in the game, cowling specs almost complete and math solved.
When Jeeves got back, Ian followed him in. The garage was getting crowded.

“Hey sis, you have guests... how unusual.”

I wanted to throw a pillow at him.

“Jeeves make a note; we need pillows in here for next time.”

Ian opened his mouth, but Maggie beat him to the punch.

“Pillows?”

“For annoying little pests that sneak in and make snide comments. So what's up Ian?”

He spent a little time looking between my new friends and gathering his wits. It didn't take that long; he didn't have that much to gather.

“Was just checking to see where the party was; Jeeves came out here with two mugs after all. I expected Ricky. You OK?”

He finally noticed my feet up and lack of general movement.

“Just a little tired. No idea where Ricky is, I think he is on his way. I kind of expected him to be here by now.”
He stepped up, trying to gain space between Sam and myself. Sam wasn't having any of it, and shot him a pretty venomous look. She seemed really into this; who knew? Ian felt the heat but tried to act nonchalant.

“So what's the project for today?”

I thought about it, but decided to keep it simple. Very simple.

“A small jet.”

He showed me I was right to keep it simple; if this level of excitement was what he showed when hearing those three words, what would he d when he found out how I would power it, or what it's flight capabilities were?

“A jet?!?! Awesome!!! I've always wanted to fly!”

“I'm afraid if you want to fly, you're going to have to build your own, at least at first. It'll have to be properly tested first.”

“And who is going to be stupid enough to do that, sis?”

I looked at the assorted crowd, all of whom seemed to be staring at me in a most unnerving fashion. Sam even looked eager! Eager!

“Jeeves, of course.”

Instantly I was descended on. The trio leaned well into my personal space in a disturbing manner. While I blinked at the unusual behavior.

“No! Bad idea Min!”

“Is Jeeves a competent pilot?”

“Not a good plan sis!”

Why wasn't it? Jeeves could learn how to fly a jet as easily as any of us. Perhaps even easier. I turned to Maggie, ignoring Ian rather pointedly. He deserved all the frustration I could give him.

“Why not?”

“Jeeves takes care of you. If you send him up in that jet and it blows up, who's going to carry you if you collapse, or bring you lunch, or help you build stuff?”

Sam nodded furiously. Ian was pouting to much to agree.

I am an idiot.

“Right, I got it...”

Sam's eyes were shining again; I almost hated to dash the hope in them.

“...so I'll have to build a pilot to test it.”

Sam and Ian both pouted while Maggie perked up. I couldn't imagine why they would want to risk getting blown up to fly an experimental jet; it's like they thought I wouldn't let them fly one later or something. Of course if I told them I would, mom would kill me. So my hands were kind of tied.

“You mean another Jeeves, right?”

And that explained Maggie's interest.

“Not quite, he will be a test pilot, devoted to test piloting. Jeeves is more of the domestic type. But he will be an android, yes. I really need to work out the bugs before I make another Jeeves. I mean, look at him!”

They looked. Some of the wind let out of Maggie's sails, but not much. I could almost hear her sayign to herself: 'another android is one step closer, bwah ha ha!'

Well I imagined she'd bwah ha ha.

“Hey, wow, it's a party. Hi everyone.”

Ricky! Ricky would save me from the crazy people!

“Hi Ricky! Where have you been? I kind of expected you before now.”

He walked up and looked over my shoulder.

“Got side tracked talking to one of the teachers. What's this?”

“Parts for that jet engine I was talking about. In this case, the cowling. The fan should be finishing up in the printer, actually.”

Right on cue, it dinged.

“An oven timer?”

I absently corrected Sam's assumption.

“An old microwave timer, actually.”

“I thought it sounded like an egg timer.”

Ricky had the best comment.

“Ding! Fries are done!”

memes for the win.

“Alright, time for the next part.”

I dutifully added the next part design to be machined/printed; the turbine shaft. The printer started to work again immediately as Jeeves carefully retrieved the fan. Same leaned closer, placing her head mere inched from mine. I tried to draw back a little, but her weight pinned me in place. She didn't seem to notice.

“How are you doing that?”

“Doing what?”

“The laptop isn't hooked up to the printer. Is it wireless?”

“Well yeah, from this laptop at least. I wrote the protocols for it a few days ago. The printer is basically a big dumb system with a network interface. You can't just walk up to it and punch buttons; it needs a computer to make it work.”

“Not just any computer, right?”

I shook my head.

“No, it needs one with my interface protocols installed. Otherwise just anyone could use it, and I don't like that idea much. I met a mutant during my powers testing who was a real idiot, and if he could use it he'd probably blow up the world or something.”

I wasn't sure how X-ray could manage that, but if there was a way, I was confident he could find it. He'd never get one of my inventions if I could help it.

Apparently I shouldn't have said something like that; everyone looked pretty nervous now, except for Ian, who was grinning and nodding along. He wasn't all that impressed with X-ray either.

“Guys don't worry, I've got it under control! In order to get on this laptop you need my password, my voice, and my eyes. In case anyone hasn't noticed, I have some very rare eyes. It'd be hard for anyone to fake them, even if they got everything else. My secrets are very safe.”

Maggie nodded, convinced. Sam looked a little green; I think she was contemplating future kidnapping attempts by super villains or something. Ricky just looked bored. Ian looked... where was Ian?

Ian looked nervous, returning with a mountain dew for Sam, who took it graciously. No drinks for the rest of us, those were handled by Jeeves, who came out a moment later. I met Ian's eyes, my own eyebrows raised... and he blushed. Interesting. I couldn't tell if Sam didn't notice, or just pretended not to.

“What? Jeeves couldn't carry all the drinks without a tray, so I helped.”

“Nothing, nothing. So is everyone good and bored yet?”

Maggie was, I could see it in her eyes, though she was trying valiantly to hide it. Sam was actually paying attention, which seemed more odd to me; in school she always seemed to pay attention, but this focus was something else – and slightly unnerving. Ricky was definitely bored, though he was splitting his attention between watching Jeeves, and watching the 3D printer with equal parts of wariness.

I get why he thought the printer was dangerous; I did too, at least mildly so. But Jeeves? Jeeves was harmless.

“Min, are you in here?”

Weird, mom sounded worried. Oops. Oh crap, I forgot to let mom know I was home. And I bet Ian didn't tell her. Jeeves coming in and out wouldn't have necessarily warned her, if she wasn't watching what he was doing.

“Yeah mom, I have guests!”

With luck she wouldn't yell at me in front of company. She had been keeping tabs on my lately. It was almost cloying, if it wasn't for that entire being necessary thing. She poked her head through the door and her hard gaze immediately softened when it fell upon me. Safe! Looking at me like that, I knew I wasn't in any real trouble.

“What are you doing in here?”

The unspoken message of why I hadn't come inside first was loud and clear.

“Showing Maggie and Sam the 3D printer and working on an engine. Jeeves kind of carried me home and stuck me in this chair. Sorry I didn't say anything.”

She didn't need to know what kind of an engine it was yet. She brushed off the apology.

“Did you make a new chair?”

“No, Jeeves made it last night. It's supposed to be good for me somehow.”

I didn't want to tell her exactly how, but apparently Jeeves had other ideas.

“It is made to improve blood circulation, as well as to be easy to rest in and difficult to fall out of.”

Mom took all that in in stride though, not getting angry. She was strangely calm and reflective instead as she asked:

“And Min is in it because she had an episode?”

Jeeves pondered that a moment. I wanted to tell him to shut up, but I had in act already spilled the beans as it were; I'd mentioned he carried me home. I never did respond well to motherly pressure. Instead of words, Jeeves nodded. She turned back to me.

“You alright now?”

“I think so.”

She nodded.

“Good, you can help me with dinner. Will your guests be staying?”

Sam was already breaking for the door, shaking her head violently. Maggie was at least more polite.

“Sorry Mrs. Campbell. Same and I need to work on our homework. Wow, it's dark already!?!”

Oh crap, it was in fact getting dark; the sun had just set. A quick glance at my laptop showed it was after 5. Dad was going to wonder why dinner was so late, if we didn't hurry. Ricky was right behind Sam and Maggie in leaving, with a wave but not a single word. Very unlike him, he knows mom don't care if he stays for dinner. Jeeves shut the garage door behind them, and locked it.

I wobbled a little on my way up, but mom was already back inside and Ian was facing away from me, headed in himself. Jeeves noticed however, his arms slid under mine in order to make sure I wouldn't fall. I hadn't even heard him move the 12 or so feet, he was just there.

“I'm fine Jeeves. I was just a bit dizzy standing up.”

“You should stand up more slowly mistress Min. In low blood pressure situations it is best to approach the vertical posture slowly.”

“Yes, maybe, but we don't really have time for that! We need to make dinner before dad gets home!”

“Relax mistress Min. We have twenty minutes. That is plenty of time for the three of us.”

I went straight to the sink and washed up. I didn't think I touched anything really unsanitary, but mom would be angry if I didn't. Then I stopped. I couldn't cook anything at all. So why was I helping? Especially since we had Jeeves, who absolutely could? I mean, not that I'd tell her, but Jeeves made her cooking look like a skillet dinner.

“Mom?”

She was cutting carrots. She motioned me over and handed me the knife.

“Yes honey?”

“Why are we cooking dinner when we have Jeeves?”

“Because I want to, and I want you to help me. Jeeves is good for you, and good for us... but you'll still need to know how to do things on your own. Just in case. Besides, Jeeves doesn't really know how to make our family stew. So we're teaching him. Now hurry up, the meat is of course ready; but if we don't hurry the vegetables won't be cooked.”

She handed Jeeves a pot full of potatoes and a peeler. We both got to work. I could feel Jeeves's eyes on me however. I looked over and sure enough, he was watching me like a hawk, yet still somehow peeling the potatoes perfectly. Show off.

“Min, pay attention.”

Mom proceeded to tell me what all the spices she was using were, the exact amounts and amounts of veggies used, what types (Monterrey celery? I thought it was just celery) and how to pre-cook and season the meat, which was either beef or deer depending on the season (and whether mom could get venison).

All things she never bothered to explain to any of us before.

It was fairly confusing. On the one hand, cooking was chemistry, and was therefore very interesting. On the other hand, mom was sharing family secrets she never shared before... and that was kind of freaking me out. She was even letting Jeeves hear them and not demanding his silence.

In the end, dad was a little late, so we had dinner ready and on the table by the time he walked in. No rolls though, so we settled on bread and hoped he would be too tired to care. He did like his rolls with the stew.

I could tell the moment he stepped through the door how exhausted he was. His tie was undone and hanging loosely around his neck, he threw his briefcase in the corner by the door. (Mom had long since cleared that particular corner, after dad accidentally shattered a vase doing that.) He plopped in his easy chair, sniffing.

“Is that Campbell stew I'm smelling?”

“Sure is Mr. Campbell. Would you like some?”

“Sure would, just give me a minute. Sigh. Dealing with the regional boss sucks. He's a good guy, but has no idea how we do things here. It's too different from the other places on his route.”

He always was a bit tired after dealing with a boss. The regional boss was the worst.

“It smells a bit different, doesn't it? Did you try something new?”

Wow, some nose dad has.

“No, Min helped this time. I thought it was about time I taught another Campbell the recipe, and she... experimented when I wasn't looking, I think.”

Oh no, she's not pinning this on me!

“That's not true! Though I might have spilled a little too much cumin in there...”

Dad took another sniff.

“And a bit too much oregano, it smells like.”

Hmm, maybe. Mom was distracted harassing dad about his shoes, so I took a taste. It did taste different. Not bad though, just different. I liked it anyway.

“Tastes good to me.”

“Well with that ringing endorsement from the saucier, it has to be good. Come on, old man, to the table with you.”

Dad looked bemused, but he didn't dare mention mom was as old as he was. That path led to the couch for a week or more. Jeeves got the drinks than stood behind me, a silent presence I was very aware of. There was no conversation at first, just pleased noises. Dad broke the silence first.

“Well it could be worse. I was right about the oregano.”

“Duly noted, less next time.”

“Next time I teach you all the steps, including preparing the meat.”

“Sure thing mom.”

Alright so I was reasonably sure I wouldn't like cooking a lot; but learning how to prepare food every once in a while wouldn't be too big a chore. And then just as I started to relax, I was put on the spot.

“So how was your day? Any better?”

“Yes, made a few new friends, and the bullies left me alone.”

I wasn't about to tell them what happened in gym. Telling mom about Gordon had been a mistake, but that one I was forced into when the school called her. While not violating the schoolyard code could get me hurt...violating the schoolyard and bro code could get me very hurt, very fast.

I would have to rely on my wits, such as they were, to keep my head attached.

“Good. Let us know if that changes. Homework done?”

I snorted, which made mom frown. Underneath my non verbal apologetic face, I stated:

“I wouldn't dare work on anything without having my homework done first. You and mom made that very clear..”

“Good. Alright, so what were you working on in there? My car is done, and Jeeves is still whole, and the printer is done....”

“An engine, utilizing hydrogen from water.”

He looked up. Uh oh, he was actually paying attention.

“What kind of engine? Using hydrogen how?”

Crap, asked directly I couldn't lie. They would know.

“Well it's a jet engine, capable of splitting atoms for electricity heat and thrust, with about a 6% over all efficiency. It'll split a water molecule into both forms of hydrogen and oxygen, using the energy given off by the process to power the turbine and add a little additional thrust.”

I couldn't stop a self satisfied nod; I'd explained it pretty simply, and no one looked lost. Except maybe Ian.

“Both forms of hydrogen? More than one?”

“Protium and deuterium, respectively. They are both forms of hydrogen. Protium is more light and occurs more common in nature, while deuterium is heavier and doesn't.”

Dad interrupted.

“I think the most important thing we need to know is, is it safe?”

That hurt. That hurt a lot. Before I knew it I was shouting.

“Of course it's safe! The engine can't use more than a small glass full of water at a time at full throttle, and that's not enough to explode unless it's completely sealed off! Your car has a better chance of exploding! Your new car, not the beast! How dare you think that I would....”

“Minerva Myrciel Campbell! That is enough!”

My full name was enough to shock me to full awareness again. Dad was turning purple and rising from his chair, Ian was in full retreat and mom was in between us. I could feel Jeeves behind me; he shifted some and I was afraid of what that meant.

“Sorry mom.”

“I'm not the one that needs the apology.”

Oh no. Oh heck no. Not in a million years.

“I'm not apologizing to dad, mom. He just implied that I would endanger my family and friends.”

I didn't like the look in her eye; but I wasn't about to back down. Dad was in the wrong here. Surely they both saw it... and if they didn't I'd make them see it.

“You are going to apologize Minerva. Let's run down what we know about your condition. You've already built things without our permission, in the dead of night; things we only know a little about. Things that could be dangerous, whether they have been so far or not. You've been getting ahead of yourself due to this compulsion your type of mutant has.”

She was actually ticking off points on her fingers.

“And lastly, the printer you made seems to want to eat people and dance to music. Is that in the design specs anywhere? See where I'm going with this?”

My fingernails were cutting into my palms, and my vision was suddenly blurry.

“Actually the dancing is; and I think I know why it acted like it wanted to eat Jeeves... he's made of metals after all, and the 3D printer uses those. But yes I get the message loud and clear. I'm a menace; a walking, talking, ticking, time bomb, and you're all waiting for me to blow. You're right, I'll apologize.”

I turned to dad. I could barely see him. I'd left my glasses somewhere and the tears were in the way, so he was just a blob.

“I'm sorry I'm such a crazy screw up. I'll go ground myself now.”

One good thing about this body; it was light and very fast when it wanted to be. Only Jeeves was able to keep up with me, which suited me just fine. I let him in the slammed the door.

“You have any emergency lock down procedures designed to keep me safe in the event of a break-in?”

“Yes mistress Min, of course. Why do you ask?”

“I'd like to use them. Non- damaging of course, but I really don't want to talk to my family right now.”

He reached up faster than I could follow and wiped my eyes.

“They hurt you?”

That realization on Jeeves's part could prove everything my family was afraid of. I knew it could, and that just made everything worse.

“Not very much, but listen. You can't hurt them at all, understand? No matter what, they are my family. That's an order, and non negotiable. Just keep them away from me for a while.”

His eyes flashed red, then blue, then green before going back to normal.

“I understand mistress Min, and I obey. Please try to calm down and sleep. I will make sure none hurt you tonight.”

I nodded and blew a sigh. I tried to smile for him, but I don't think I succeeded. When he turned his back to secure the door I just flopped on my bed. My pillows were just as good at absorbing sobs as screams.

up
339 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Missing

Dahlia's picture

It has been a while since the last installment but it was worth the wait. Thanks for the new piece.

Dahlia

Dahlia...

Never give up on my stories, I don't. Even if some haven't been updated in forever.

Thank you for the compliment, I think it was worth the wait too. Min was less than thrilled though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Dorothy...

You and me both!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Great Story

Thanks for another great installment to this story

Oh Min...

Tas's picture

Besides bullies and the differences in both new friends and old, Min's mutation is really putting some stress on her family. The problem is that Min is a source of the unknown; she creates things that her family has no hope of understanding, and when that goes beyond innocuous things like a coffee maker or even a car, well, people generally fear what they don't know or understand. Unfortunately, Min's mother is correct, devisor's inventions sometimes (if not often) act in funny ways, and those ways can be dangerous, though that depends on the devisor.

Anyway, looking forward to the next chapter as always!

-Tas

Tas...

All true, but there are a few additions to be made to that. I've previously made mention of an event in the summer before Min's mutation kicked in, that brought out a bit more stress on the entire situation as it stands now. I'll be writing that one out sooner or later. The stress was building since the mutation first kicked in, the more recent work is just bringing it fully out into the open.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Boiling point

Tas's picture

So all this mutation stuff is a catalyst and bringing things to a head faster? It's been quite some time since I've read through this story and I feel like I'm missing some of the background...

Ah, I'll just have to re read the whole thing when you post the next chapter haha

-Tas

Not quite Tas...

If you remember the series there was an incident over the summer before Min's mutation....involving a super-villain. So, fresh mutant after a super-villain scare... well you get the idea. Even Min's own family isn't immune to a little tension from such an idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Ah well

Tas's picture

I'll just have to read through everything again before I continue making a fool of myself haha :)

-Tas

Self serving

Jamie Lee's picture

What a great story, sad in a way but interesting in other ways.

Sad in that Min's former gender never had a chance to actually experience real life, not the pretend life of a school. Sad in that while he used to be needed to help win games and wasn't particularly disliked, now she is treated like something on the bottom of a shoe.

Yes, she and Rick are still friends, the others see it as an advantage to themselves to befriend Min.

Maggie's only interest lies with the possibility of getting her own Jeeves. Sam is a bit more of a mystery to why she is interested. It almost appears she wants all the information she can get for less than savory reasons. That or she really fancies Min.

The school Min currently attends is of little use in teaching Min what she needs the most. Self discipline. Min needs to learn how to focus on the subject in front of her. And when it's alright to allow her mind to work on a new project.

She also needs courses which provide more of a challenge. She needs Whateley.

Since the mutant haters are trying to continue getting at Min, the next chapters should prove interesting.

Others have feelings too.

Sam's smitten

Jamie Lee's picture

Both Maggie and Sam are of little to no help to Min in working on the ramjet engine. Both are hanging on to Min for different reasons; Sam because she fallen for Min, and Maggie because she wants her own butler--even without her parents permission.

Min's blowup at the dinner table was not only about the safety of her devices but about everything she's been feeling before her full transition. She was a boy changing into a girl, which carried it's own pressure and stress due to the worry if others should discover the beginning of her change. Then once full transition occurred, what would others say, how would they react, how could she defend herself if/when attacked?

All of the stress and pressure was packed down in order for her to handle her school work and projects. But dad's comment pulled the lid off those pressures and Min exploded.

Mom and dad are at the verge of forbidden her from creating anything unless they feel it's safe. That will be a huge mistake because they lack the knowledge to determine what is and what isn't safe. Plus, putting the brakes on Min's projects is basically chaining her up in the basement, it will kill her or make her go rogue.

School is no longer a necessity for her, and her parents don't have the training to guide someone with Min's abilities, so there's only one place for her and the sooner she starts attending the better for all.

Others have feelings too.