Tamara's Debut - Chapter 24 "Debut"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Final - Part Twenty Four

 

by Shiraz

 

 
 
Friday 12th December Continued
 

Elsie was the first to break the silence. “Come on, we can’t worry about one wee man, we’ve got more important things to do. Tammy, what’s in that bag on the table?”

Tammy picked it up and found her name printed on a label, which was also acting as a seal. Tearing through the label to access the bag she found a three month supply of birth control tablets. She checked the instructions on one of the boxes, reading that these were the 28 day variety, “take one every morning, even during your period” it said. She held the box in her hand for a few moments before starting to cry.

Elsie seemed to have known all along what Jill had left and just smiled before going to give Tammy a hug. “Welcome to womanhood, Tammy, you’re on the pill!”

There was a knock on the door and Leanne entered: “Excuse me, Miss Small, your wig is clean and in your room.”

“Thank you, Leanne.”

Angela scooted up the stairs to fix her appearance, although no-one had yet commented about it. Tammy went to her own room so she could make an appointment with Sandy, acknowledging that her hair needed some TLC.

“Hi, Tammy, it’s Debbie.” Tammy racked her brains before realising she was Sandy’s older daughter.

“Hi, Debbie, what are you doing there?”

“Mum needed a hand today, one of the usual girls slipped on some ice and is laid up at the moment. Anyway, I take it you need to see Mum on Monday?”

“How did you know?”

“There’s nothing we don’t know, everyone talks when they’re in the chair. It’s just a shame that the hairdresser’s code prevents me from saying too much!”

“Thanks, I wonder what other secrets are out there?”

“Secrets, I shouldn’t worry about them, you don’t have any, not anymore!” The two giggled at each other down the phone line until Tammy heard Sandy tell Debbie to behave.

“Right, Tammy, let’s get this done before mum throws a hissy fit. Cathy is in at eleven so how about midday?”

“That sounds okay.”

“Do you want to see Joanne as well, she said you enjoyed the torture?”

“Do I have to?”

“Tammy, it’s a small price to pay when you want to wear sheer stockings.”

“Thanks, does she have a free slot?”

“Eleven thirty?”

“Only half an hour?”

“That’s normal for a repeat, she said you probably won’t want another Brazilian until January, unless you’re planning a winter in the sun?”

“Not that I know of, I think I have other plans right now.”

“Sorry, I forgot; you’re back at school on Tuesday.”

“How did you—never mind.”

“I’ll see you later, Mum’s approaching with a scowl on her face.”

“Bye.”

Downstairs, Elsie and Cathy had just finished an animated mother and daughter chat. Joan had sat quietly in a corner until Cathy excused herself to return home, Elsie then turned her full attention to Joan.

“Joan, I said earlier that you don’t have to worry about the cottage. The governors feel that if they are to accept female students in the sixth form then they will need female teachers on the staff.”

“But I only taught at primary level and I’m badly out of date. George insisted he wouldn’t let me work after we moved up here, he said it was up to him to support me.”

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem. We’d like to offer you the post of pastoral manager with responsibility for the welfare of the female sixth-formers. The salary is £28,000 and the contract would include the tied cottage and Angela’s fees, we would also arrange for you to attend any courses you might need. All we’d ask is that you agree to a contract before Christmas, or preferably on Monday when the governors should agree the necessary changes and authorise contracting an architect and agree in principle to the building work.”

“Building work?”

“They can now see a future for female boarders, not just day students, so intend to build a ten bed boarding unit, all en-suite, ready for September next year.”

“That’s a little different from the ancient building the boys use.”

“Yes, but the law has changed somewhat since the school was built, we have to abide by many more regulations now; that’s the official line anyway. What’s your answer?”

“I’d love to, but what about Angela?”

“Again, on Monday I believe they’ll accept Angela without waiting for all of the same paperwork that Tammy needed, although that won’t be school policy for now. Your daughter is a trailblazer.”

“Wow, but I thought Tammy had that title.”

“I suppose they’ll have to share it. Anyway, unless there's an unforeseen problem they can both return to school on Tuesday, your contract could start the same day.”

“Thank you. I’ll do it.”

“Right, by the way your manager will be the new deputy head, Yvonne Stewart, my son-in-law David’s big sister.”

“I see what you meant by looking after your family.”

“Perhaps, but she won the post on her merits not through nepotism, although a personal recommendation doesn’t hurt! She’s been teaching at a girls school in Dundee and was appointed a Deputy Head there last year.”

Meanwhile, upstairs, Tammy had put the phone down and was now looking at the little box of pills. The instructions said to take one at the same time every day, in the morning. It was now gone four, and quite dark outside, but she wanted to start the pills straight away. She poured a glass of water from a jug and tried to break open the box but it wouldn’t open easily. In the end she ripped the box open, sending the blister packs scattering across the floor. She picked up one of the packs and pushed out one of the little pink pills, holding it between two fingers.

Tammy was about to say thanks to any deity who would listen when there was a knock at the door, Angela walked in without waiting.

“Oh, you’re busy.”

“Yes.” Tammy popped the pill in her hand and washed it down with water, the magical moment lost. “What is it?”

“Do I look alright?”

“Yes, fine.”

“I’m sorry, Tammy, it’s obviously a bad time.”

Tammy stood and went to give Angela a hug, “no, I’m the one who should be sorry. These pills mean a lot to me but you mean more, I’d just forgotten. The wig looks fine, by the way. You just need to touch up your makeup.”

There was another knock on the door, this time Angela opened it.

“Excuse me, Miss Small, Dr Hoskins is waiting in the study to see you.”

“Thank you, Leanne. Sorry, Tammy, I have to go.”

Tammy just sat down and started to cry. She didn’t know why, it was way too soon for the pill to have any affect, if at all. Finally, she went to the bathroom to clean off her make-up, kicked off her shoes and laid on the bed. Within a minute she was asleep.

Downstairs Angela and the Doctor were exchanging pleasantries.

“How are you today?”

“Much better.”

“Have you been taking paracetamol?”

“To be honest, I forgot but I haven’t felt like I needed anything.”

“I see the bruising on your face has faded somewhat.”

“I’m using concealer so it won’t show so much. I don’t want to be a spectacle at the theatre tonight.”

“I thought I said you needed rest, Miss Small?”

“You did, but the theatre needs a lighting technician and I’m her, otherwise there's no show tonight.”

“Are you fit?”

“Not as much as I’d like to be, but I’ll survive.”

“I see. I didn’t write a sickness certificate for you, did I?”

“No, but Dr Davison did one yesterday. It’s valid for a week but I want to go back to school on Tuesday if that’s alright?”

“That’s apparently not up to me.”

“Sorry Doctor, I didn’t ask for the certificate. Is that all?”

“No, I’ve asked Helen Yates to see you about a full blood screening and I’ve had a request from Professor Julian Roberts asking me to make a formal NHS referral to him, he included that he hoped to see you in early week of January. Drop by the surgery next week so my nurse can take some blood.”

“It sounds like you're not entirely happy with this?”

“I feel like I’m being undermined, but I suspect that’s not your causing. Anyway, if you feel dizzy at all, give me a call. If you feel worse than that, call an ambulance, but I think you know all that. Good day.”

The doctor left, leaving Angela standing in the study doorway, unsure what had just happened. Richard was the closest and went straight over.

“What’s up, Angela?”

“I get the feeling Dr Hoskins doesn’t like me,” she went on to repeat her conversation with the Doctor.

“Angela, it’s not personal, Dr Hoskins is a senior doctor who just doesn’t like the way that medical personnel can talk to each other about his patients without going through him. He used to like to know every one of his patients and all of their problems, whether medical or otherwise. Now anyone can bypass him if the reason is good enough.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, now get along to the sitting room for a sandwich before we head into town. Do you know where Tammy is?”

“She was in her room ten minutes ago.”

Richard climbed the stairs to freshen himself before knocking gently, then entering Tammy’s room.

He first saw his daughter comatose on the bed, fully dressed, then the glass over water next to the remains of the box of tablets, blister packs littering the floor. He rushed over, fearing the worst, to find only a single pill missing from one pack. The print next to the missing pill said ‘Fri’.

He crossed to the bed and gave Tammy a nudge. Her eyes blinked a few times before opening fully. Richard now noticed how her mascara had run, making black trails down her cheeks.

“Dad, I’m sorry.”

“What for?”

“I’m getting wound up too easily, I’m going to hurt someone if it continues.”

“Do you want to see Jill?”

“No, definitely not today, I just need to get it out of my system.”

“How about you do that on the stage this evening?”

“Perhaps?”

“There’s no ‘perhaps’ about it, young lady. Get in that bathroom and fix your face, you need to have something to eat before we leave.”

“Yes, Dad.”

Richard left her bedroom and walked down to the sitting room, satisfied he’d sorted out his daughter. A minute later, he was talking to Elsie when there was the sound of glass shattering coming from upstairs. They rushed up the stairs to find Tammy coming out of her room.

“What happened?” The two adults asked simultaneously.

“Sorry, I accidentally kicked the table and the water jug fell. I was just on my way to find something to sweep up the glass.”

“We’ll arrange that, come down with us to have some tea, I think you need to wind down a little?”

“No argument there.”

Tammy followed them into the sitting room as Leanne headed up the stairs, dustpan and brush in hand.

“Dad, what do you think will happen?” Tammy was not talking about the play.

“I wish I knew but you won’t be alone, the same goes for you, Angela.”

“Thanks, but I’m still not sure. He could do anything.”

“He could, but the police know he’s in town and will have officers looking for him. He’ll make a colossal mistake if he comes to the theatre this evening.”

“I realise that, it’s just that we keep getting glimpses of him, so to speak, then he vanishes.”

“Tammy, don’t forget he lived in Thurso for seven years. He has friends who won’t know what’s been going on, or have even been fed lies.”

“I s’pose so. It’s just so frustrating.”

“Don’t dwell on it, how about you read through the script after you finish that sandwich?”

Tammy wandered back to her room, which was now tidy and clean, evidence of the broken jug had been removed. She sat in the armchair and began to read. It only seemed like five minutes when there was a knock at the door, Tammy was too immersed in the story to not the passage of time.

Richard walked in and smiled at his relaxed daughter.

“Come on, give yourself a wash then join us downstairs, it’s time to go.”

She cleaned her face, removing all her makeup, Joanne would have had to do that anyway. She made certain, however, that she had sufficient supplies in her bag for after the performance. She was downstairs in about ten minutes, Richard noted that this was a new record for her.

“Come on, coats, hats, boots! Let’s be careful out there!”

The two Land Rovers were parked outside the door. The gamekeeper was driving Elsie’s vehicle, Michael was not confident on the ice. Richard took the wheel of his own, although he wouldn't be driving back.

The ride down to the town was mostly in silence. It had been dark for over two hours. The temperature, which had barely registered zero degrees Celsius during the daytime had now dropped to five below. Thankfully the roads were clear but the two drivers needed all the concentration they could muster. They reached the theatre car park without incident, but it was now just gone six.

"Angela dear?"

"Yes Mum."

"Your sister sent me a message, good luck she said."

"Suzie?"

"Well, how many sisters do you think you have?"

Angela and Tammy hurried in through the stage door and directly to the lighting console or dressing room, as appropriate.

Angela settled down and checked her notes. She then ran through a test, making certain none of the stage lights had blown, before relaxing and setting the auditorium lighting.

Tammy dropped into a chair after changing out of her own clothes and putting on a gown. The back of the chair now bore her name, a sheet of paper was held by some strips of sticky tape. It looked amateurish but made her feel important.

“Hiya, girl.”

“Hi, Tanya.”

“Are you ready for this?”

“If I’m not, I’m in the wrong place.”

“That’s the spirit!”

Joanne now approached the two. “Come on, clean your faces for me.”

“I have,” replied the indignant Tammy.

“You need to moisturise before I put this stuff on,” she pointed at the pots in front of them, “and use these wipes first. Let's do it properly now so I don’t want to have to completely reapply your makeup during the interval.”

Tammy did as asked before Joanne returned to her a few minutes later.

“I’m glad you decided to visit me in my torture chamber on Monday, you’ll have the boys lusting after you on Tuesday.”

“Joanne, two small problems, make that three. Number one is that I don’t know what I like, I mean whether boys or girls. To be honest it might be girls; why am I telling you this?” Tammy went deep crimson.

“Because I care, because we all care, and you need to work this out for yourself soon.”

Tanya joined in, “so what’s the other two?”

“They knew me as a boy.”

“How many actually knew you well?”

“Not many, I suppose, I didn’t associate myself with the rest of the sixth form much outside of lessons.”

“So is that going to be a problem?”

“I wish I knew, it would take only one student to ruin it for me, after all it only took one teacher.”

“Tammy, John told me that he’s organised the first fifteen rugby squad as your personal protection team.”

“You’re kidding me!”

“Yes I am, and you almost fell for it. Anyway, he’s told them that you’ll be sorting out girlfriends for all of the naive spotty ones. Seeing as they will already be very frightened of girls after years in that prison, I mean school, they’ll run a mile and leave you alone. He’s also made a few veiled threats through the prefects to the rest of the school.”

“What, he’s told them?”

“No, calm down. He’s said there’s a couple of girls joining the sixth form and they’d better show respect, especially as you’ll be a prefect yourself.”

“Now you truly are kidding me.”

“No, that’s gospel. You’ll be told on Tuesday just before assembly, when the rest of the school will be told of the new arrangements. Anyway, what’s excuse number three?”

“Girls, that’s enough. I have a job to do.” Joanne was quite insistent.

Tammy wondered just how much John Hibbert had told his girlfriend but was lost in thought about the play while her torturess fiddled and faddled with brushes and other implements.

Suddenly there was a loud screech outside, followed by a bang. Tammy and Tanya jumped in their seats wondering what to do. Tammy wondered if this was the start of a bad evening but wardrobe needed them so they were shuffled off to see Sarah.

Outside, Harry Davison was trying to explain to a young police officer how he’d lost control of his car on the ice, hitting the high wall at the far end of the overspill parking area, much of the wall was now nestling around his BMW.

“Could you blow into this, Sir?”

Inside, Richard, Elsie and the rest of the McPherson household were in the small theatre bar, sipping their drinks, Richard included. It had been agreed that another member of staff would drive Richard’s Land Rover for the return journey and both vehicles were now parked a few hundred yards away.

Harry Davison burst into the bar, quite red in the face, shouting into his mobile phone. He quietened as every head turned towards him—particularly his daughter’s, who had arrived just behind him.

“Yes I know it’s Friday night! I want it in the garage and ready tomorrow!”

There was a pause, “how the hell would I know that? Look, just come and get it!”

“Bloody garages. Bloody police. Bloody weather.”

“Dad, calm down.”

“Okay, okay, a large Oban should help. No ice, I’ve had enough of that.”

The barman seemed to know what Harry had wanted before the order was given and the glass arrived, accompanied by a jug of highland water. Harry poured a little of the water into the single malt before sipping it.

“That’s better.”

The bar was starting to fill when Andrea and Alison arrived, just ahead of Cathy and David.

“Hello girls, glad you could make it, you too David.” Elsie took command of the welcomes. Richard went and kissed the three girls gently. Joan was hesitant but the girls seemed to sense this and approached to her.

“Joan, I’m glad you could make it.”

“Sorry, I don’t know you?”

“Silly me, I’m Andrea, Elsie's niece. You have a lovely daughter, where is she?”

“In there, playing with the lights.” Joan gestured towards the auditorium.

“We’ll see her later, no doubt. This is my sister Alison, you know Cathy, don’t you, and of course David."

The bar was starting to fill up. The performance, the first of five, was sold out. Mind you, so were the other four. No tickets had been sold for the cancelled performance the previous day, as it was for the press and local dignitaries who preferred not to pay for their tickets, many of whom now couldn't obtain tickets for the main performances.

Thankfully most of the audience either hadn’t yet arrived, it was still not quite seven fifteen, or they had already gone to find their seats. One of the problems at the theatre was the lack of a ramped entrance into the foyer, meaning disabled ticket holders often had to be admitted through a fire exit,

The small box office, next to the bar, was fielding enquiries about spare seats and returns. The three returned tickets that the theatre knew about had been taken up by those on the reserve list, cold callers and drop-ins didn’t stand a chance.

Elsie, Joan and Richard were starting to relax and enjoy the evening.

The programme, which was on sale in the foyer, had photos of all the cast, but not in character, including a short biography of each of the leading actors. Tammy’s was short—she’d not given much away.

“Tamara Smart is a new addition to the Mill Theatre Company having previously only acted in school productions. She hopes to be available for our next production in April, exams permitting.”

Richard picked up six copies, one would go into an archive he was building, the rest were for those present.

At ten to eight an announcement requested the audience to take their seats. Richard and Elsie held back in the bar, finishing their drinks, while the others went into the auditorium. They were putting their empty glasses on the bar when the five minute warning was heard.

All at once raised voices could be heard coming from the direction of the box office.

“I’m sorry, Sir, but as I said, we have a full house—there are no tickets available for tonight’s production.”

There was a scream, a second scream and a grunt were then heard from the foyer. This was followed by a thud. Richard told Elsie to stay where she was then carefully pushed the double auditorium doors open far enough to see what was happening.

Next to the box office, a man — perhaps in his late twenties — lay face down with his feet pointing towards where Richard stood. Kneeling over the prostrate man was PC St James — dressed for the theatre. The incapacitated man was obviously unhappy about being on the floor but every attempt to speak, or swear, ended up as a grunt while the officer restrained him.

Across the foyer a chef’s knife was lying on the floor, the blade was about ten inches long, pointed, and it looked dangerously sharp, the edge was glistening in the bright lighting. As Richard surveyed the scene two more police officers, this time in uniform, came in from the car park. The first handed PC St James an evidence bag and a pair of gloves, while the second escorted a distraught theatre volunteer into the bar, pushing past Richard who retreated temporarily. Once the PC returned to the foyer, Tammy’s father returned to his viewing position, forcing the doors a little wider this time.

Stuart St James said nothing although he plainly knew that he was being observed. He gave the two uniformed officers space, getting up from his restraining position, so they could pick up the prone man who was clearly intent on escaping. As he was slowly brought to his feet he started swearing loudly in a heavy brogue. He then swung his head towards Richard and went silent for a second, rage in his eyes. Richard was now able to identify the man as John McPherson, Elsie’s eldest son.

The knife was still only six feet away at this point, and although John’s hands were firmly locked behind his back there was still a risk he’d attempt to retrieve it.

“Mr McPherson, I suggest you go quietly with these officers, it will only hurt you otherwise.”

The former school employee was starting to thrash, despite PC St James’ warning, but stopped long enough to glare at Tammy’s father. He opened his mouth to say his piece but was yanked backwards on his heels, silencing him.

“Officer, what just happened?”

The plain clothes PC bent down to pick up the weapon and placed it in the bag. He sealed the bag before answering. “Mr Smart, I presume? I’m afraid it’s a little too soon for me to comment but you may be able to make an educated guess. We’ll have to interview Mr McPherson when he’s calmed down so we can discover his reasons.”

“I thought he was locked up?”

“So did I, I’ll find out why not when I get back to the station.”

“Are you not staying for the performance?”

“I don’t have a ticket for tonight, I just wanted to blend in with the rest of the audience. I’ll be here for the last performance on Sunday.”

“So will I. See you then.”

“Goodbye, Mr Smart.” The PC left the building holding the bagged knife

Elsie had heard Richard’s conversation and was now stood in the doorway, beside him. An usher came up behind her, plainly unaware of the recent event.

“Madam, Sir, please take your seats.”

Certain they could no nothing to help, both walked into the darkened auditorium, past many rows of seats. They had just sat, in the second row, as the house lights dimmed and the curtain rose.

The lights shone bright as Bernado and Riff, played by John Hibbert, walked on stage to start the play. A few minutes later Tanya and Tammy made their appearances as Maria and Anita. Their accents were perfect as Maria complained to Anita about her lack of a boyfriend. Both were wearing stage wigs and looked nothing like their normal selves under the heavy greasepaint.

Tammy, at the start of full rehearsals had initially been hesitant about her on-stage relationship with the Bernado character but knew that she had to fully immerse herself in Anita, regardless of how she had to respond to the other characters, especially Bernado.

By the time she was singing ‘America’ Tammy had long forgotten any first night nerves and was enjoying herself. Tanya had caught her eye during the song and winked, they would pull this off!

The interval was taken so the scene in the bridal shop could be prepared, Tammy and Maria headed back to their named seats where a bottle of chilled water awaited. Outside the theatre it was sub-zero, in metric terms, but inside it was hot—almost unbearable—especially under the stage lighting. Joanne came back to the two stars to tidied their make-up.

“Girls, I was watching from the wings—you’re fantastic. I can see you’re enjoying yourselves.”

“Joanne, what was that crash we heard?” Tammy suddenly became tense as she remembered earlier.

“Oh, some older guy crashed his car into a wall. Jim, the theatre manager, said the police breathalysed the driver, but he couldn’t work out who it was. He was letting a wheelchair in through the fire exit at the time. They can’t use the main entrance, but apparently the theatre has funding to do some building work in the Spring — you know, a new bar, foyer and disabled access, that sort of thing.”

Tammy relaxed, “thanks.”

Back in the bar it was crowded, the talk was the production and the cast. No-one except Elsie and Richard seemed to be aware of what had happened and there was little point in alarming everyone. What concerned Richard, however, was that the police had left the building.

The five minute call came too soon and before long the two girls were under the lights, standing on the set at the start of the second half.

Tanya, as Maria, began her ditzy solo, telling everyone just how pretty she was, Tammy, as Anita, watching. The play continued into the murder scenes; this was the end of Riff. The assault on Anita soon followed, although Iain Brown, the Director, had insisted this had to be symbolic.

The end of West Side Story came several minutes later. As the curtain fell, the audience erupted — almost everyone were on their feet.

Iain Brown, the director, appeared on stage to continued applause. One by one the cast came round the curtain to line up in front of the footlights. The applause continued and flowers were thrown on stage for Tammy and Tanya.

As Tanya bent down to pick up one bouquet, a wheelchair user suddenly jumped from his chair and rushed forward. He grabbed the girl and pulled her from the stage.

“I told you I’d get you, you pansy!”

Tammy could only look down as George Small moved to hit the dazed Tanya, however several men launched themselves at George and pulled him away before he could strike the girl. The place was in uproar but one man was in control.

Iain Brown jumped from the stage and restrained George.

“George Small, you are under arrest for common assault. You do not have to say anything but it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence. Do you understand?”

Richard looked slightly confused but Stuart St James solved that problem when he arrived, slightly out of breath.

“Sorry, Sir, just back from booking a prisoner in.”

“Apology accepted, Constable, can you ’cuff this man?”

“Of course, Chief Inspector.”

Elsie was tending to Tanya when Sandy arrived from several rows back.

“My god, what did he do?”

“We think he was going for Tammy.”

“It’s that George, isn’t it. The guy’s stark raving mad. Tanya dear, can you sit up?”

Tammy had come down from the stage and helped Tanya sit up.

“I’m sorry Tanya, I’m sorry Sandy, I'm sure he was trying to get at me.”

“Tammy, don’t beat yourself up. I might have fallen a little awkwardly, but I’m fine, just a wee bit winded.”

“Are you sure?”

“Tammy, I’m sure. I’ve been doing taekwondo for a year, mum thought it might be good for keeping me fit. The first thing you learn is how to fall, I was able to roll enough to stop me getting hurt.”

Tanya stood and gave Tammy a hug.

“Hey, Tammy, how’s that for a stage début?”

“Memorable.”

Iain was back on the stage and was handed a microphone. The theatre settled down.

“Ladies and Gentlemen. I’m afraid that one of the cast has been assaulted but the perpetrator has been arrested and is on his way to a cell.”

There was a gasp from those members of the audience who still weren't aware what had happened.

“If the entire cast could rejoin me on the stage?”

Tammy and Tanya climbed up the steps to the side of the stage and rejoined the rest of the cast. John Hibbert was looking very concerned, he’d wanted to intervene to protect his girlfriend but the adults had arrived there first.

“Could we have a big round of applause for the entire cast of West Side Story?”

The noise in the theatre was thunderous, this continued as each member of the cast was introduced, leaving the four main characters until last.

“And, finally, in her début for the Mill Theatre, let me introduce the fabulous Tamara Smart.”

The applause continued as the cast left the stage, Angela finally raised the house lights, the sign that the audience should head for home. The audience could now see George Small being led away in handcuffs.

It was gone ten but Tammy was finally back in the dressing room having her stage makeup removed before re-dressing in her street clothes. She applied a little of her own makeup — just for presentation — before crossing the auditorium to meet her father in the bar.

“Dad, that was supposed to be me on the floor!”

“Tammy, it might have been, but it seems that Tanya is none the worst for her experience, fortunately.”

“I thought the theatre was being watched?”

“It was, but the police had to deal with another, earlier, problem.”

Richard wondered if he should say anything more but decided that it was safer to say nothing, especially as Tanya had now arrived from backstage, and was hugging her mother. Both girls were soon swamped by the remaining members of the audience — some even wanting them to sign their programmes.

Eventually Elsie decided they ought to head back to the house. She made a quick call on her phone then gathered her clan. As they went out into the frozen air, two warm Landrovers pulled up outside the theatre entrance. Within seconds they were all aboard and moving. Snow was falling again but the wind, thankfully, had died down as they wound their way away from the theatre after a memorable evening.
 
Fin.
 
 
To be continued in Tamara's First Christmas

up
410 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Grrreeeeaaaaat!

Brilliant finale to this branch of the story, I look forward very much to the "Christmas special" and the further adventures of Tammy and her clan. thank you Shiraz x

Eventful

What an eventful evening to finish this series on. I look forward to the continuation of the story.

Joanna

Bravo!

A well written story that led the reader from one chapter to the next with a smooth flow. We were shown how one person grew through this story and led another to see them for what they are. Now, we will wait to see what happens in the next story! KUDOS!

Tamara's debut finale

damn, and here was me thinking you may have also posted the first part of Tamara's first Christmas.

Great story, read the original and the rewrite was different in parts, would have loved to see the finished original to be able to compare the two

Thank you Shiraz,

Beautifully and professionally written,a great story from start to finish,looking forward to Tammy's Christmas.

ALISON

excellent finish.

enb4448's picture

To what has been a very entertaining story.

Applause!!!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Great debut and story!

Interesting timing one trouble maker at the doors while the other slips in in a wheelchair, coincidence?

I wonder how the "new girls"* will be received at school.

Me likes,
>i< ..:::

* double meaning? triple meaning? :p

All good Shiraz

Podracer's picture

Well done, kept me wanting more right to the end. I know there are more shows to do, but I hope the girls would have a few hours to get their breath back before school. Knowing you their Christmas will be memorable.

"Reach for the sun."

A Wonderful Adventure

I am sure that many of us would like this sort of experience, at leas I know I would. Thank you for this fun wordsmything. :)

Khadijah

Thank you

shiraz's picture

Many thanks to everyone for the kind words. When I dusted off Tamara's Debut I hadn't realised how much work was needed on it, nor the reception it would receive. It's the comments and the kudos that persuaded me to continue the story.
shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

I loved how this wonderful

I loved how this wonderful little story has ended, at least in this part. I really hope it will continue for many more stories. Janice Lynn

The plays the thing

While reading of the play, I couldn't help but think of the mixture of English, Scottish and awful Puerto Rican accents that must have filled the air that night. Wonderful story, I could hardly wait for each chapter to appear and now must suffer withdrawal until the start of Tamara's version of "A Christmas Story". Please keep up the good work. Hugs and love, Cindy

Thanks

I've enjoyed this updated posting of "Tamara's Debut" and look forward to reading her continuing story.

Wonderful story!

gillian1968's picture

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
This one held me all the way through. Overall, I think it's the best of your stories that I've read.

I'm certainly looking forward to Tammy's Christmas!

Gillian Cairns

Tamara's debut- Wow

I waited to comment on the whole story, and all I can say at this point is summed up in the subject line. Sure proves that good storytelling never goes out of style, and that this isn't merely good, but great. The cliffhangers were easier to handle because I'd waited until most of this work was published before beginning my reading.

Bravo! Encore! Encore!

joannebarbarella's picture

Of course I know we're going to get one. I'm about to start reading it.

Fini

but not over. I still want to hear about Tammy's medical issues.

Lucky me, I waited long enough to catch several more books!

Wow

All I can say is just WOW. That was an amazing story Loved every minute of it.

Thank you for writing it

Warm happy feeling.

WillowD's picture

I'm experiencing a warm happy feeling right now. The type I get when I read an awesome story for the first time. And the best part is, there are many more Tamara stories left for me to read as well. Thank you so much for introducing us to Tamara.

Re-reading the series

WillowD's picture

I have decided to re-read the entire Tammy series. I think I have already done this at least once before but this time it will be better because there are even more stories to read now.

Yay Shiraz!!!

Bozos!

Jamie Lee's picture

Two extremely self centered men spoiled what ended up being a wonderful presentation of a very nice story.

What both tried to do proves beyond a doubt both need locked up for extended periods of time, whether in a mental ward or normal prison has to be determined.

Both are determined to make Tammy pay for their believed slights. One because he suffers from a severely bruised ego. The other because of his son finally having the courage to tell about himself/herself. Both men must stay locked up or they will make another attempt to get Tammy.

Having a sold out house shows that people appreciate these type of plays. Being sold out for all performances emphasizes that like. Maybe the rest of the performances will be free from more angry morons.

This is a very nice story, hard to stop reading when times required. If the other story is this good, withdrawal symptoms will be experienced at its end.

Others have feelings too.