Tamara's Debut - Chapter 22 "Going Nowhere"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Twenty Two

 

by Shiraz

 

 
 
Thursday 11th December Continued
 

There was a stony silence, Tammy now knew why Angela had thrown herself from the window, but probably it really was just a cry for help as well as a deep concern for her mother. Angela had never really said very much about her father, but she had freely admitted that she was afraid to come out to him, what form did that fear take? Even when she'd told him on that fateful day she was not the son he expected, it wasn't the whole truth, Angela had known that it would be too much for her homophobic and transphobic father. What was unknown at the moment was what had her mother said to George Small, was it the cause of her beating?

Unsure what to do next, Tammy just stood there, looking at the sobbing girl who had now become separated from her wig. Elsie wasn't saying anything so Tammy eventually walked over to the bed, picked up a tissue and did her best to give Angela a hug. Angela muttered one word.

"Sorry."

"Angela, don't be. You need help, it's just that we didn't know - I for one haven't looked at the bigger picture."

"Tammy, please don't leave me and don't blame yourself."

"I'm staying right here."

Angela managed to pull herself up and was hugging Tammy when Dr Hoskins arrived in the room, Elsie walked in with him although Tammy hadn't seen her leave the room.

"Tammy, would you mind getting off the bed so I can examine the young lady."

Tammy did as asked and stood to one side. Dr Hoskins now examined Angela, starting with her bruised face, she winced when he touched her left cheek.

"You are very fortunate, as well as a little foolhardy perhaps. Unfortunately there's little I can do to treat a bruise, although I would suggest some paracetamol for the pain."

He lifted the blanket revealing that Angela's sweater and jeans had been removed, this at least made it easy for him to examine the rest of her, the bruising here was less severe.

"Now, have you felt dizzy at all?"

"No, Doctor."

"What about light-headed?"

"A bit."

"When?"

"Before breakfast."

"How is your appetite?"

"Awful."

The doctor reached for his thermometer and stethoscope before continuing his examination.

"Now, Miss Small, firstly you are ordered to rest for the next two days before coming to see me on Monday morning."

"But ..."

"But nothing, whatever you were going to do is now cancelled, do you understand me?"

"Yes doctor."

"Secondly, if you feel dizzy at all, call me. I hope you realise you could be in hospital right now, or worse, instead of this house. I get the impression that they care for you alot."

"Hmmmm."

"They do." This was a new voice.

"Good morning Doctor. Angela, my name is Jill Davison. I would like to talk to you for a while, privately."

"Tammy has to stay."

"If you insist." Jill had fully expected Angela's remark.

"I'm confused, who are you and why are you here?"

"Partly because Tammy asked me to be here and partly because I've had a fax from Julian Roberts concerning you. I was going to ask you to see me at the hospital but this will do just as well for an initial consultation."

Tammy decided she needed to intervene, for Angela's sake.

"Jill, would you mind if I took Angela down to her room and organised something for her to drink while she puts herself into her own bed?"

"Not at all, I had nothing planned for the rest of the morning." Tammy couldn't work out if there was any sarcasm in the shrink's voice.

Tammy helped Angela onto her feet and wrapped her in the blanket, to protect her modesty, before heading along the landing. Angela's room had warmed after the intake of cold air and her bed had been remade; a cotton nightshirt was waiting for her. With a little help, after washing her face to remove the remaining makeup, Angela finally put herself into bed - by which time a mug of hot chocolate had been delivered by Leanne. Tammy noticed the key that was normally left in one of the window locks was now missing, but said nothing.

Jill knocked on the door a minute later, Tammy let her in but stayed at the back of the room while Jill sat in the edge of the bed.

"Are you Doctor Davison?"

"I am, but you can call me Jill."

"Okay Jill, you said you were at the hospital, but I don't see a stethoscope or a white coat, are you a shrink?"

"No Angela, I'm primarily a psychologist with a sideline on psychiatry. I'm the one who put Tammy in touch with Professor Roberts."

"So what are you going to do with me? Am I heading for the nut-house?"

"Hopefully we'll just talk, if you're willing, and I have no plans to relocate you."

"I can live with that."

There was another knock on the door, Elsie put her head in the room.

"Tammy, Dr Hoskins would like to see you if you're free, he's gone downstairs."

Elsie disappeared, leaving Tammy looking between Angela and Jill and shrugging.

"Tammy, I'll be okay."

With Angela's permission Tammy left the room, finding the doctor in the study.

"Now, Miss Smart, your father has given me a copy of your letter from Professor Roberts, I must say he came to a decision very quickly."

"To me it took too long."

"Quite, anyway I see it has been supported by Dr Jacobs at The London and Dr Yates here."

"Yes, is there a problem?"

"No, I'm just still a little surprised at the speed and that I wasn't informed directly. Regardless of that, I've written an NHS prescription for two months to replace Professor Robert's private one, plus as the prescription is for the contraceptive pill you don't need to pay anything. I'll have the local NHS Trust update your records on the paper records here, such as they are now, but how long before the new central computer system catches up is anyone's guess."

"Thank you."

"By the way, you can expect invites to Well Woman Clinics and smear tests in due course."

"Okay." Tammy wasn't entirely sure what the GP had meant by his last statement but resolved not to show any confusion.

Dr Hoskins shook Tammy's hand and left, heading towards his own snow-covered Landrover. Richard intercepted Tammy as she turned from the front door and walked towards the stairs.

"I'm a little concerned, was he alright?"

"Yes, it's just that I'm not certain he's overly happy with the decision, not that he could block it."

"That's the same impression I got, leave it for now. Are you going back upstairs?"

"Yes."

"Elsie has just phoned the hospital in Bletchley, Angela's mum was released an hour ago, she's on her way to Luton airport and will be flown directly here."

"That's a bit far for the helicopter?"

"No, we've chartered a private plane to Wick then the chopper will collect her from the airport and fly here, we've also arranged to have a nurse on the flight from Luton. Given that George is on the loose we're not taking any chances."

"What about the house in Bletchley?"

"Her solicitor is handling that, but George had tried to put it up for sale."

"Oh, what do I tell Angela?"

"Tell her that her mother will be here later, but no more."

"Right."

Tammy had just reached the top of the stairs when Jill came out of the bedroom.

"She's asleep for now, can we talk downstairs?"

"Sure, coffee?"

"I thought you'd never ask!"

Somehow the staff always seemed to know when such things were needed and the hot drinks were delivered to the sitting room a minute later.

"Tammy, Angela thinks highly of you but you have really put her through the mill over the past week."

"We've been busy but I thought I was helping her."

"You have helped her but you haven't resolved Angela's issues, only she can do that. The problem is that you hadn't asked Angela what her main issues were, so when something happens neither of you is prepared."

"So I've been selfish?"

"I didn't say that, it's just that you're a great talker and a lousy listener."

"Oh, so I'm not to help any more, is that what you're saying?"

"Don't be stupid, of course you can, I just want you to slow down and let Angela develop at her own pace. Right now she needs protection and support, you can help but don't discount her own mother or Elsie either. I'll be back tomorrow to see her."

"There's some news, I almost forgot, Angela's mum should be back here this afternoon. We haven't told Angela yet."

"She can be told when she wakes. I'll see both of them tomorrow, do you have your pills organised?"

"No, Dr Hoskins has only just given me the NHS prescription."

"Give it to me, I'll collect your pills and bring them here in the morning, I'm certain you can wait one more day. I've also prepared a sick note for Angela, can you make sure it is taken to the school?"

"I'll sort that out, the school messenger was due an hour ago but he's not made it here yet. Do you know why Dr Hoskins didn't write out a sick note?"

"If he thinks Angela's injuries will be sorted out in just a few days he can't write a sick note. Unfortunately, Angela's mental injuries won't be fixed in the same timescale. I've signed her off for a week for now."

"What about the play?"

"What about it, Tammy?"

"She's the lighting technician, the only one now the main one is injured."

"Oh, I'll have to talk to Iain in case we have to cancel. Are you sure no-one else can do it?"

"Tim was the only other one, and he's gone for now."

"Quite."

"Look, Jill. I'm hoping to get back to school next week - at least for the end of year party. Do you think Angela could be there?"

"It is way too early for that young lady, congratulations by the way."

"Thanks."

Jill pulled her coat tightly around herself and headed out of the door. She hadn't been gone for more than a few minutes when the school messenger arrived.

"Excuse me, I have a delivery for Miss Smart and Mr Small."

"I'm Tammy Smart."

"Right, here you are, is Mr Small here?"

"Yes, I also have a sick note for the office."

Tammy handed it over before she noticed it was written out to Angela Small. Unfortunately the messenger was swiftly on the way back to his van. Uncertain what to do next, she settled on the 'do nothing' option, she'd already interfered enough if she accepted Jill's opinion.

She carried the bundles upstairs, depositing one in Angela's room where the injured girl was sleeping. She took her own bundle into her room and placed it on her desk. Opening her laptop Tammy plugged in her headphones and put on some music before checking her emails, something she hadn't done for days. The first was from her mother, sent on Sunday morning.

Tom,
 
I'm heading for London later today, perhaps we could meet?
 
Mum

It was a little late to worry about that message now. Tammy had been considering closing her 'Tom' email address down but had since decided to leave it until the new year, just in case.

The next mail was from her headmaster.

Miss Smart,
 
I have now received a copy of your letter from Professor Roberts.
 
This letter will be passed to the Governors for their consideration. Please note that their meeting has been brought forward to next Monday, 14th December. Subject to their decision I may be able to welcome you back to St Andrew's.
 
S. McIntosh MA, MEd
Headmaster
St Andrew's School
Thurso

Tammy wondered about how the Head had seen the letter but then remembered what her father had said, Elsie was handling the communications.

Next was one from John Hibbert

Tammy,
 
The rumour mill is running red hot!
 
It seems we are gaining a female teacher, a new deputy head no less! The governors meeting to discuss you has also been moved from the last day of term and is now on Monday, talk is that you'll be here on Tuesday.
 
There's a few idiots who don't like the idea and their parents have apparently written to the Head, he's just told them that it's a matter for the Governors, adding that there's no refunds if any of the boys are pulled from the school!
 
None of us have seen Tim Small for a week and the cottage is unoccupied right now, I walked by there yesterday. I thought Tim was working at the theatre but didn't see him, there was another Small on the list though, are they related?
 
I met Tanya in town on Saturday, we spent most of the day together but it was a bit cold for walking so we just talked over a few coffees, thanks for putting the two of us together! I've told the boys you're becoming a matchmaker as you seem to know all the girls in town.
 
See you tonight?
 
John

Tammy considered a reply but there was little she could, or was willing, to add. There was the usual few spam messages, how did they get her new email address? Reluctantly she opened the bundle of books and started work. She'd been working for an hour when she was called for lunch.

Angela had stirred a few times but was plainly suffering from exhaustion as well as stress, she was woken a couple of times by mid afternoon to drink water and once to swallow paracetamol, usually followed by the toilet.

Tammy finally called a halt to her schoolwork at four, deciding that she'd stared at books and her laptop screen long enough. Stretching, she slowly made her way to the sitting room, asking Thomas for a coffee en route.

"Hello dear, how is the work going?"

"It's slow, Elsie, I'm also a little bit behind because of the last few days. Anyway, how do you know?"

"I checked on you and Angela about an hour ago, it was too quiet in the house."

"I guess I should have realised. Where's Dad?"

"He's outside with Michael and the groundsman trying to clear a path to the helicopter landing pad, I mean the side lawn."

"How bad is it?"

"If it doesn't stop snowing soon we'll be cut off within the hour, I've been talking to Mrs Doherty just down the road, she says her husband has closed the bank and is heading home now."

"Will Joan arrive here safely?"

"Yes, if the boys can clear that path. The helicopter is on the ground waiting for her flight to land from Luton, I just need to tell the pilot the lawn is clear for them. It's a good job the wind has died down, this is the worst snow for several years."

Tammy suddenly realised where she was due to be that evening.

"The play!"

"Oh, I forgot to tell you - Iain Brown called, the press night has been cancelled, half the cast is stuck at home or at work. I told him that Angela was poorly and he said something I couldn't possibly repeat."

"Okay, it's probably just as well, hopefully we'll be able to do tomorrow's show as planned, with or without Angela."

"Did someone mention my name?"

Tammy turned and hugged Angela, Elsie stood up and did likewise. She had wrapped a gown around herself and was wearing fluffy slippers. It wasn't high fashion, but who cared?

"Sit down and make yourself comfortable, would you like some coffee?"

"No thanks Elsie, hot chocolate please. Is there any chance of some food?"

"How about a slice of cake now, dinner is in an hour. Your mum should be here by then."

"Mum?"

"Yes, she should be touching down in Wick about now, the helicopter is waiting for her."

"What will I say to her?" Angela suddenly looked afraid.

"Tell her everything, she needs to know you're alright."

"But my face, and her?" Angela broke down in tears, Elsie looked at Tammy who squatted down next to Angela's chair.

"Angela, your mum would not have been allowed out of hospital if she was in danger. As for your father, I believe Thurso, or at least our bit, is cut off. We can be fairly certain that nothing is going to happen today. One thing is clear, however, your mum needs our support."

"I've missed her!"

"I know, I know."

The truth was that Tammy hadn't realised how close Angela was to her mother, but she couldn't admit that. There was a noise in the hallway heralding the arrival of three men, one of whom disappeared immediately into the kitchen. Michael and Richard took off their hats, boots and waxed jackets, which were immediately taken by Thomas.

"Mum, can you call the pilot, we've cleared it."

"Thank you Michael, Richard."

Elsie picked up her mobile phone, speaking a few words before hanging up.

"She's on board, leaving in a few minutes. We can expect them in ten or less."

The house phone then rang, Elsie answered it then passed the phone to Tammy.

"Hello?"

"Hi Tammy, it's Cathy."

"Hi, when did you get back?"

"On Sunday while you were in London."

"When can you tell me all about the honeymoon?"

"Tomorrow, if the road's open."

"See you then."

"Bye Tammy."

"Elsie, why didn't you tell me?"

"I forget sometimes, anyway it wasn't the most important thing was it?"

"I suppose not, but you could have said."

"Cathy asked me to give her and David a few days to get straight."

"Okay."

"Tammy, who's Cathy?" Angela had recovered her composure.

"My daughter, her and David will be here for lunch tomorrow." Elsie replied.

"Good," said Tammy. "Angela, why don't you have a quick shower and put on a clean nightie?"

"If you think it's a good idea?"

"I do, get moving."

The two girls headed upstairs, Tammy intent on staying with Angela to make certain she wouldn't do anything stupid. Elsie and Richard sat, meanwhile, discussing Christmas arrangements. Angela was just out of the shower when they heard the helicopter land.

"Where's my wig?"

"Sorry, it was dirty and damp, Leanne had taken it to the laundry room to see what she could do, but I had her call Sandy for instructions, you should have it back tomorrow. There won't be any strangers here this evening so I wouldn't worry."

"If you say so."

"Angela, you don't have to accept everything I say."

"That's what Jill said, but I trust you."

"Hmmm, come on let's get downstairs."

Angela almost tumbled on the stairs as she rushed to her mother who was now stood in the hall shaking the snow off her coat and hat.

"Mum!"

"Angela dear."

The two hugged but Joan was not comfortable, her injuries were to her ribs which were badly bruised but thankfully not broken. Joan noticed the bruises on Angela's face but for now said nothing.

"Come on, I'm sure you want to freshen up after your trip. The clothes you left here last weekend have been cleaned and are in the guest room upstairs."

"Thank you Elsie, but I need to get home."

"Don't be silly, dinner's in half an hour, your house will be cold and it's the other side of the hill, I would think the road is closed, you must have seen what it's like? How about we see if you can reach your house tomorrow morning?"

"I don't want to impose myself."

"You aren't, now go and sort yourself out."

Joan reluctantly, and carefully, made her way up to the guest room she'd last used. A small suitcase had followed her from the helicopter and was taken up the stairs by Leanne. Tammy was left stood in the hallway with Elsie, Richard and Michael having disappeared.

"Tammy dear, how about you go and freshen up too?"

"If you insist?"

"I do."

Tammy arrived in the dining room fifteen minutes later, with the others trickling in behind her. Angela had made an attempt to obscure the bruising with a little foundation and concealer, but it wasn't perfect and Tammy suspected Angela knew so. Dinner was a quiet affair, neither Joan or Angela had much of an appetite but did the best they could, it seemed the kitchen knew about this when the desserts arrived, their portions were smaller than the rest.

Elsie shepherded Angela and her mother into the study as dinner ended. Tammy understood what was happening but said nothing. She followed Michael into the hallway, he appeared to be heading to his room.

"Michael, do you have a minute?"

"Yes, why?"

"Do you know what happened to your brother?"

"He pleaded not guilty and claimed provocation but the magistrate wouldn't accept it. He was given two weeks but swore at the magistrate so was given another week for contempt."

"Where is he?"

"I don't know, mum would."

"Thanks."

Michael continued on his way, Tammy decided to head upstairs herself and listen to the radio. Her mobile decided to ring, however. There was no number shown.

"Hello?"

"Is that Tom Smart?"

"Who's calling?"

"This is George Small. You will pay for what you did to my son."

The line went dead, Tammy just sat there shaking, mostly with rage. How had he got her number? Of course, he'd been a teacher so had access to the pupil records.

She walked, very deliberately, down the stairs. Her father saw the anger in her eyes and knew something was wrong. The sitting room was empty so he guided his daughter in there, closing the door.

"What's wrong Tammy?"

"Angela's father."

"What?"

"He rang me just now to blame me for Angela."

"Could you tell where he was? Were there any noises in the background?"

"No, and there was no number."

"Leave it with me. Do you know how to record calls?"

"Yes, I think so."

"Then make sure you record the next call."

"Next, Dad?"

"He'll almost certainly call you again. He probably won't have the number for here and won't know that Angela and Joan are here, not for sure anyway. Your number is his only link right now."

The sitting room door opened and Elsie walked in, followed by Angela and her mother. Both had been crying, it was fortunate Angela hadn't worn any mascara. Joan however had black streaks on her face.

"Elsie, can I have a word?"

Richard led Elsie out of the room and they exchanged a few works before Elsie headed back to the study, armed with Tammy's mobile number.

Joan was the first one to speak, "what's up Tammy?"

"Your husband just called me. He didn't say much except to blame me for Angela. I've no idea where he was, of course there's no way he could get here before tomorrow - regardless."

This set Angela back off, Joan equally showed she wasn't comfortable. The house phone rang but was answered in the study, Richard and Elsie returned a few minutes later with a joint statement.

"We've passed the new information onto the police, they're now liaising with Thames Valley Police. Joan, your solicitor called and we've given him the same information, we'll warn the school next."

"Thank you, but what if he comes here?" Joan was plainly concerned as she looked at Elsie.

"The road is blocked and I understand that the trains are terminating at Inverness at the moment. By the morning your husband's details will be known by all the police officers in the Highlands. I'll also have the gates to the estate closed in the morning and think I'll let the dogs have a run in the snow. I also reckon the gamekeeper could take a stroll with his shotgun, will that do?"

"Yes, thank you. If you don't mind, I'm going upstairs to take a painkiller and I'll turn in, I didn't get much sleep last night in hospital. Angela, could you come up with me?"

The two of them walked out of the sitting room, it was barely six thirty but Tammy was shattered and started a yawn - the early start the previous day had caught up with her. She waited until Angela and Joan had made it to the top of the stairs before she started her own move, giving the mother and daughter their own space.

Tammy used her headphones again after deciding to listen to the radio for an hour, before she eventually submitted to slumber.

up
417 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

George Small is like so many

George Small is like so many others who refuse to acknowledge that they are the problem, not others. So they try their very best to turn everything around and blame others. Just hope that he is not already on or very near the house. I also hope that Angela and her Mum remain safe from this demented and sadistic excuse of a husband and so-called father. He certainly does not deserve to carry either one of those titles. Just my humble opinion. Janice Lynn

snowbound?

boy, this could be interesting

DogSig.png

Safe for now?

Podracer's picture

I am glad that someone has reined in Tammy's good hearted work on her friend; it was close to railroading her into girlhood. Tammy's world spins like a tornado and not everyone would stay centred like her.

"Reach for the sun."

leaden boots!

Perhaps Tammys age and naivety causes her to stomp all over everyone in her own transformation road, she even seems a bit rude to the wonderful Elsie who seems to run a hotel for the transformed and beleguered occupants of Thurso. Well done Shiraz, you have even made me search the area on Google earth to see where it actually is! must be the exciting story.

Doesn't look far on a map

Podracer's picture

But it's a long.......long ride from Yorkshire on a 125.

"Reach for the sun."

The Power Of Bigotry

joannebarbarella's picture

It's bullying actually....the power to attack and injure those weaker than you with differing points of view. However, forewarned is fore-armed and good ol' George has telegraphed his intentions. It's hard to believe he was Deputy Headmaster at the school.

Dogs and a shotgun

are more than enough for defense. Dogs tend to enjoy snow, besides.

No refund for pulling boy out

This stinks! Wouldn't this be a be reach of contract?
A child was enrolled in a BOY'S school and mid term it switched to co-ed. As a parent I'd be pissed off and talking to a lawyer.

The blame game

Jamie Lee's picture

It was good Angela was only bruised, it would have hit everyone hard had it be more than bruising.

Why is it when people are wrong, they place blame for their errors on others? As John claimed, he was provoked. How? He wasn't attacked, hit, beaten up, or physically injured in any way. He's angry because his ego took a hit. Angry because he thought everything was served up to make him look foolish. Nothing had to be set up to make him look any more foolish than how he was acting. He was foolish before Tammy, and he's still foolish.

George Smart is just plain out of his mind. Tammy had nothing to do with how Tim felt, she just helped her be who she believes herself to be. For him to threaten Tammy shows how far over the edge he's gone. Thinking he'll get to Tammy is to forget the first rule of an attack, know thy enemy. He has no idea the resources Richard can depend on. Or what Elsie is capable of doing.

George is coming after Tammy. When John finishes his sentence he'll be coming after Tammy, again. And then there is Tara and her mess. All of these things combined should have Tammy curled up in a ball, under the bed in her room. But she is going about her life, being who she is. Proving just how strong of a person she is.

Others have feelings too.