Tamara's Debut - Chapter 21 "Casualties"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Twenty One

 

by Shiraz

 

 
 
Wednesday 10th December Continued
 

“Pink?”

“Why, Angela?”

She fumbled for a reason. “It's not my colour.”

Tammy went back to her wardrobe and pulled out a black pair of leggings. Angela slipped off her shoes and skirt then pulled them over her tights, fortunately her top was long enough to cover anything questionable. She replaced her heeled shoes without thinking.

“Come on, let’s get going.”

Tammy opened the door and headed downstairs, Angela followed but was becoming unsure of herself—again. They put on heavy winter coats for the ride to the theatre.

Richard was holding the car door open, they could hear that the engine was already running. The girls jumped in, fastened their seat-belts, Richard set off for the theatre a few moments later.

They were halfway there when Angela finally realised what was bugging her—her shoes!

“Tammy, I’ve got to go back.”

“Why?”

“I have to change my shoes, look.”

Tammy looked down and saw the kitten heeled shoes that Angela had already been wearing for thirteen hours without complaint. “What’s wrong with them?”

“I can’t wear them.”

“Why not, they go well with the leggings.”

“That’s not the point, I mean I can’t wear them at the theatre; they think I’m a boy.”

“That would be hard to justify, given the rest of you.”

Angela was silenced by the remark. A few hours earlier, in Professor Roberts’ room, she’d explained her feelings and had heard nothing but words of support. Of course Julian Roberts hadn’t actually asked too many questions, he’d mostly listened to the effervescent Angela. The issue right now was that Angela had regained her doubts as soon as the real world re-imposed itself.

She wanted to cry but knew it would ruin her make-up: there was no doubt that Angela had mixed emotions. Within a few minutes they were pulling into the Mill Theatre’s car park. Angela had regained her composure and allowed Tammy to take her to whatever fate awaited.

“Tammy, get into your costume—now!” Iain was obviously not having a good evening.

“And who the hell are you?” He was staring at Angela.

“I’m the assistant lighting technician, Mr Brown.”

Iain wanted to ask questions but urgently needed a lighting technician, the senior one had slipped on ice that morning and this had been just one of his many problems, now at least he could concentrate on the other issues.

“What are you waiting for, off you go!”

Angela needed no other prompt and headed for the lighting desk. She knew the routine; she’d just never run through it for real. Angela set the stage for the start of the performance, Iain noticed the lights change and relaxed slightly.

Tammy was getting changed with Tanya, who was playing ‘Maria’.

“Did you have a good time in London, Tammy?”

“Let’s just say it was memorable.”

A girl Tammy hadn’t seen before was visiting each of the dressing rooms checking names against the cast and backstage crew list, looking for any changes. They were given a five minute warning and just had time for Joanne to put on the make-up. Joanne whispered “good luck” into Tammy’s ear before sending them to the stage.

At the interval Tammy was parched, and tired, but the rehearsal was going well. She took some water in the dressing room as Joanne touched up her make-up.

“Tammy, when are you going to make another appointment to see me?”

“I don’t know.”

“My diary is filling up, it’s only just over two weeks before Christmas. Give Sandy a call in the morning.”

“Okay.”

Tammy didn’t have the energy to argue, she just wanted to finish the show and get home.

The stage call came sooner than she hoped and she was thrown back into the lion’s den. Fortunately she managed to make it to the end without any hiccups. What really helped was that Tammy had known the songs before she was offered the part, she only had to learn the dialogue.

Iain thanked the cast before allowing them back to the dressing rooms, there was a sigh of relief as he closed the show.

As she finished changing back into her own clothes, Iain knocked on the dressing room door. Tanya had already left so Tammy was on her own.

“Tammy, that was wonderful.”

“Thank you.”

“You look tired. I’m glad you decided to be here tonight, I wasn’t certain you would be.”

“Neither was I, it was an earlier start for myself and Angela this morning.”

“Angela?”

“I mean Tim.”

“I meant to ask earlier what was going on but there were just too many problems. I saw you both arrive but I thought the assistant lighting technician was a sixth former at St Andrews School, perhaps you can answer?”

“I’d love to but I feel it would be best coming from her. Let me just say that if you’re satisfied with the job she did tonight then allow her to do the same for the real performances.”

“So this isn’t a wind-up?”

“No.”

“I see.”

“I suggest you speak to Jill Davison if you have any queries, I’m sure she could help.”

“If you say so, anyway great performance, I hope you can do the same tomorrow onwards.”

“So do I.” Tammy made a mental note for herself to speak to Jill in the morning. She met Angela outside where Richard was waiting with a warm car.

“Angela, did you have any problems?”

“No, I was on my own most of the time, but I did get asked my name by a girl, I just told her I was Angela.”

“Okay, Iain asked me about you.”

“Oh.”

“I know we said we’d tell him this was just a prank, but I said to him that Angela would be back there for the performances.”

“Why?"

“That girl you saw will be changing Tim’s name on the backstage list to Angela. Angela has to be there, not Tim.”

Angela sat in silence as they drove back to the house, the snow was falling heavier and Richard had difficulty seeing the road: thankfully his car had sufficient grip to keep them safe, apart from Richard having Alpine driving experience.

Back in the house, both Angela and Tammy headed straight to their beds, declining an offer of hot chocolate. Angela continued her nightly routine—started only a few nights earlier—and finally slipped into bed in a cotton nightie.
 
 
Thursday 11th December
 
The next morning started much as any other and Angela went straight into the shower after her alarm sounded at seven. Somehow her mobile was now plugged into its charger, having last been seen in her case with a dead battery.

The ’phone was ringing as Angela, in a kimono style gown, headed back into her bedroom.

“Hello?”

“Hello is that Tim Small? This is Mrs Adams at St Andrews. I understand you’re staying with the McPhersons?”

Angela suddenly realised that today was a school day and she was expected there before nine. Her next few replies were cautious.”

“Yes, is that a problem?”

“Not at all, I have been told that your mother won’t be back for a few days and you have no access to your house.”

“That’s right, although I’m still seeing if I can get into school this morning.” She was not entirely sure how that would be achieved—she needed to go shopping for some male clothes but would have to go into town as Angela. School would become a serious problem were she to arrive there en femme.

“Don’t worry, Mrs McPherson has explained how anxious and worried you are and has suggested we send some work over to you. The school messenger will be there at about ten, he will have some work for Tom, I mean Tammy, Smart too.”

“Okay, is that all?”

“I think so, if I need to call you again I’ll use the house phone—unless that’s a problem?”

“Not at all.”

“’Bye then.”

“’Bye, thank you.”

Angela sat on her bed and put her head in her hands, she was still there several minutes later when Elsie McPherson knocked gently on the door before entering.

“Angela, it’s alright. Come on dear, sit up.”

Angela took her hands from her red face, Elsie was holding a tissue which she used to dab Angela’s eyes.

“What have I done, what have I done?”

“Angela dear, you’re done nothing apart from let your true self surface. Now, come with me and we’ll get you decent for the day.”

Half an hour later Angela arrived in the dining room, now wearing jeans and a sweater. She was wearing minimal make-up and in her wig still looked nothing like Tim. Tammy was already sitting there, munching some toast.

“Good morning, sleepy-head!”

Angela just glared at Tammy, clearly Tammy knew nothing about Angela’s phone call and the thoughts it had stirred but that did not excuse her flippant remark. Angela decided that silence was the best offence so reached for the coffee pot instead.

At that moment Elsie entered the room. “Tammy I’ve spoken to Dr Hoskins, he can see you at ten if the road is open.”

Tammy instictively flexed her back, she could just feel where the bruise Elsie's eldest son had caused. She finished her breakfast a few minutes later and was debating what to do next, Angela wasn’t hungry and was pushing cereal around the bowl in front of her. Richard walked into the room and asked Tammy to follow him into the study, meanwhile Elsie went into the sitting room, accompanied by Angela.

As Tammy sat down there was a knock on the study door and Thomas entered with a tray. Tammy saw the large coffee pot and guessed this might take a while.

“Dad, what’s this all about?”

“Your mum’s on bail but has been charged with some serious offences.”

“Such as?”

“The main one is money laundering, but she might face a charge of conspiracy to import drugs.”

Drugs?

“Yes, the police found cocaine in the car, as well as half a million Euros.”

“Is that why Freddy absconded?”

“Probably; actually, that's an alias and he’s an Albanian. Gerald gave me his real name but I can’t remember it at the moment, not that it’s important.”

He reached for the coffee pot and poured a cup for each of them.

“Okay, so what happens next?”

“Tammy, I wish I knew. Your mother has become caught up in a very nasty situation, I hope she is simply a pawn, but I don’t know.”

“And if not?”

“Then it’s likely she’ll go to prison.”

“Oh.”

“Look, until we know a little more it’s difficult to speculate. Gerald is keeping me informed as best he can: he's talking to your mother’s solicitor.”

Tammy sipped her coffee and sat quietly for a minute, thinking.

“Dad, is there anything we can do to help her?”

“Not right now, the problem is that we can’t interfere directly, or the police will think we’re involved. I’ll have Gerald try and find out if she needs anything and we’ll sort it out through the solicitors.”

“I understand. Is there anything else?”

“There was a fax waiting for me when we got back yesterday, the bank have accepted my terms.”

“So what’s the plan?”

“That depends on you. Do you still want to continue your education here?”

“Yes, if they’ll have me back there.”

“I don’t think that will be a problem now. Elsie is having a word with the Head and a few of the governors about you returning before Christmas.”

“Really? I thought I’d have to wait for the next governors’ meeting?”

“They’ll probably want to rubber stamp the decision but I think you could spend some time back there from next week.”

“I’ll need some more clothes, suits and blouses unless they will impose a female uniform?”

“Perhaps I’ll leave that to Elsie and the new Deputy Head?”

“New Deputy Head?”

“When it looked like you’d be returning to school, the Head felt that it would be useful to have a female teacher on the staff, I don’t have a name yet but I’m told she starts next week.”

“Right. What about Angela? Oh, I need to call Jill.”

“Use the phone here.”

Tammy made her way around the large desk, carrying her recently refilled coffee cup. She called the hospital but was told that Dr Davison was working somewhere else that day. She put her head out of the door to find Elsie just as Angela screamed and ran upstairs. Elsie followed Angela and waved Tammy back into the study, now was clearly not the time to ask for phone numbers.

Richard had also heard the scream and was behind Tammy as she reversed into the room.

“Oww, that was my foot!”

“Sorry, Dad. Do you have any idea what’s going on?”

“No. We’ll find out in due course, try the phone book for Jill’s number.”

Tammy found Jill’s home number, which surprised her. She dialled and left a short message, Jill wasn't at home either.

“Dad, you said the future would depend partly on me, so what else is there?”

“Your exams are in May, that’s only six months away, but where do you want to live? Do you want to work or go to university?”

“Too many questions. I’d like to get a degree but maybe take a year out first, I think I’d also like to stay in this area, I have plenty of friends here but I know virtually no-one in London.”

“I thought you’d say that. Elsie’s happy for us to stay with her until we can get our own place, she’s also prepared to let us have some land from the estate if we want to build a house rather than buying one.”

“That sounds like an excellent idea.”

“I agree, but that’s why I said it was only six months before you finish school; it could take that long to get the designs agreed and then planning permission, let alone build it.”

“Can we have a look in the estate agents later?”

“No, I’ll phone them and ask if they can bring the information here—if they want my business, that is.”

“Right.” Tammy checked the time, “I need to be at the doctor’s in twenty-five minutes and it’s still snowing hard.”

“I’ll go and get the car warmed up, you’d better find some decent boots to put on.”

“Okay.”

Tammy ventured out into the hall before heading up to her room. She felt an icy draught as she passed Angela’s room. Pushing the door open she saw Angela sitting on the windowsill, her legs outside the window. As Tammy called out, Angela pushed herself off the ledge, falling to the ground below.

Tammy screamed for help and rushed to the window, Angela was lying motionless, face down, on the snow below. Michael was the first to reach Angela and was trying to speak to her. Tammy ran to the stairs, bumping into Elsie who had just come out of her own room. Together they descended and went to the side door, nearest to where Angela lay.

Michael was now comforting Angela, who was crying, Tammy was just grateful that she was alive. Elsie took over from Michael and quickly checked for broken bones before helping Angela to her feet and into the house. It looked like the deep snow had prevented a more serious accident.

Now inside the house, Angela was visibly shivering, Thomas brought a blanket for her. Tammy decided to keep out of the way, Angela did not need a crowd right now, Elsie however caught Tammy’s attention and mouthed “doctor” to her.

Tammy wondered if this was a reminder about her own appointment then realised what Elsie had meant, she went into the study and pulled Dr Hoskins’ number from the ‘useful phone numbers’ list pinned to the wall beside the desk. She called the doctor's surgery and spoke quickly to the receptionist about the incident, the receptionist obviously knew the house.

“I have an appointment myself in a few minutes but there’s no way I can get there under the circumstances, Mrs McPherson thinks Angela needs to be checked over.”

“I’ll speak to him, but he might suggest calling an ambulance.”

Tammy waited for a minute before getting her answer.

“Dr Hoskins is on the way to his car and will be with you shortly.”

“Thank you.”

As soon as she’d put the phone down it rang.

“Hello?”

“Hello, is that Tammy? This is Jill Davison.”

“Ah Jill, thanks for calling back. I was going to ask you about Angela and if she could see you, but we’ve had an incident, could you come here?”

“What kind of incident? I presume you mean Angela Small?”

“Yes, Angela jumped out of her bedroom window, she was really upset shortly before but I don’t know why.”

“I’m on my way.”

Tammy put the phone down, wondering what to do next. Her father then put his head around the door.

“I don’t think we should go to the surgery, we might be more useful here.”

“I agree, Dr Hoskins is on his way here, as is Jill Davison.”

“You got hold of her? Good.”

“Have you any idea why Angela would do that?”

“No, I was going to ask you the same question.”

Thomas came to the door.

“Excuse me Miss Smart, Mr Smart. Mrs McPherson requests Miss Smart’s assistance in her room.”

Thomas turned and left, Tammy just looked at her father and laughed.

“What’s funny?”

“He could have just said ‘Tammy, get to Elsie’s room now’ !”

“That’s not the way things are done, and you know it. Now get going before Elsie comes here herself.”

Tammy just missed the slap that accompanied her father’s last comment as she walked into the hallway and up the stairs, leaving her soggy slippers behind her. Angela was curled up, sobbing, on Elsie’s bed, covered by a blanket. Her face was a real mess, she was bruised from the fall.

“Tammy, did you get hold of the doctor?”

“Yes, he’s on his way. I’ve also spoken to Jill Davison, she’ll be here shortly.”

“Good thinking, thank you.”

“Do you have any idea why Angela would do this?”

“Her mum has been taken to Bletchley Accident & Emergency unit, apparently she was attacked by Angela's father.”

“Oh no.”

“Thankfully, nothing's broken apparently and it looks like she’ll be out of hospital later today.”

“When did this happen?”

“Late last night, I found out early this morning.”

“If it was that homophobe, I hope they don’t let him anywhere near me.”

“The police can’t find him. They suspect he’s heading back to Thurso——”

up
429 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

It is all happening so I wonder what the "small minded" homo/transphobic wife beating" ex Deputy Head will come up with especially when he finds a daughter instead of a son.

ALISON

Who says he'll find her? I

Who says he'll find her? I mean, he's looking for Tim, with short hair. Not Angela with long hair.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

oh crap

poor kid. Hope she's okay

DogSig.png

another sharp twist!

Wow Shiraz, this is getting exciting, poor Angela, I thought Tammy jumped into the deep end rather quickly but poor Angela is getting the worst. thanks

Struggling

Podracer's picture

Without doubt the more fragile of the two, I hope Angela is going to realise the strong allies she has. It has all happened a bit fast though Tammy may have acted right at the time.
Edge of seat pace, Shiraz!

"Reach for the sun."

Life is not boring around there.

My goodness, it is coming at them in buckets ! If he comes round, I do hope that someone can use a poker.

Gwen

What a horrible shock!

gillian1968's picture

I can understand her fear.

Gillian Cairns

Dejas Vue

enb4448's picture

I have been puzzling over this series since the start. The story seems very familiar. Have you published it before? It could be my mind going senile in old age. That said I am enjoying it very much indeed. The characters are rounded and believable, and I am now getting to parts not so familiar. I am enjoying it very much.

Another No-Good Father

joannebarbarella's picture

You can only wonder at the mind-set of some of the bullies out there. This one was the deputy Head-Master of a noted boys' school, so you would expect him to be rational, but he is evidently not.

The information is that he is headed for Thurso, having already attacked his wife. Does he honestly expect to be greeted with open arms?

Sad fact is

violence is a refuge of homophobes. Mr. Small is going to be very miserable in his later years unless he reforms.

Snow storm in life

Jamie Lee's picture

Tara is really hurting because of the accusations. Very little money, not in the best of accommodations, can't leave the country, and Richard can't help least they believe he's also involved.

Attacking his wife, Mr. Small has finally flipped his lid. His phobia has caused him to become extremely irrational. If he's headed to Thurso, than it's likely he's after Angela/Tim. And if he can, he'll have a go at Tammy too. So everyone needs to be on their toes least Mr. Small show up with the in tension of hurting someone.

Gads, leading from the window to try and end the pain. Angela needs Tammy, Jill, Elsie, and the others right at this minute. She needs to know, and feel, their support in a big way. After her dad attacking her mom, Small may want to stay from Angela least she do something he wouldn't expect from her. Like kicking his sorry arse up between his shoulders.

Others have feelings too.