Season of Change - Chapter 28

Printer-friendly version
Season of Change

by:
Elsbeth

There were only a few things in Harry Potter's life that never changed, he was the son of Lily and James Potter and that he was born a male. What happens when he discovers the truth.

Aislin

Disclaimer: I own nothing, all of it belong to J.K Rowling, I am just playing in her sandbox for a while.

Authors Note: AU: Its not my first fanfic but its my first Harry Potter, so I hope you enjoy it. The story starts at the end of the 5th Book.

Language Note: "I'm speaking a different language"

Black family Etiquette : Note as someone pointed out in the Black family tree (I have a lovely copy of it) how technically Narcissa and Andromeda are not Alya's Aunts, you are correct. However, in many families including my own, it is common to call older cousins, usually those near our parents age Aunt and Uncle. Members of the Black family do the same.

A special thanks to djkauf for beta. If you have the time, I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading!

Chapter 28

Andromeda Tonks smiled, not surprised to find her young niece in the dueling chamber well before dawn. As she watched Alya worked her way through her spell repertoire and into some of the more esoteric Black family magic, Andromeda marveled how much had changed since the start of the summer, all due to the girl in front of her.

For the first time in several decades, the Black family had been united not just in name. Even if Orion had been the architect of its rebirth, it had been Alya who had pressed forward, bringing those who had been cast off back into the family.

Surprisingly, she found little resentment in those families, especially when they discovered her only motive was to reconnect with those who she considered family. Even now, Andromeda could see the pure joy in the young woman's face when surrounded by her loved ones and will forever curse the Dursleys, Dumbledore and even Sirius for leaving the child unloved and alone for so many years.

In addition, for many, the change of gender, something closely tied with one sense of self, adding to that her past history would have broken most people. True, according to her aunt's Walburga portrait there were some dark days in the beginning and Alya's first monthly had been very difficult. However, the extraordinary young woman bounced back, pushing forward, accepting and adapting to huge amount of changes in such a small time. Anyone who thought her niece weak, was in for a big surprise.

"How are you this morning?" Andromeda asked, as Alya finished.

"Nervous."

Andromeda nodded in understanding. Her head of House had also been playing an incredible and dangerous game this summer. So far, Alya had met a number of people who were known to Harry Potter, and so far none seemed the wiser. She would continue the game when returning to Hogwarts.

From what she had explained, Harry didn't interact with most students from other Houses and that would be to her advantage. Still, she planned on informing a small group of people, but to most, it will be Alya Blacks first time at the school.

Andromeda was then surprised when her raven-haired niece wrapped her arms around her, something even a few months ago the young woman would not have done.

"Thank you."

Returning the hug, Andromeda asked. "For what?"

"For everything."

~o~O~o~

Whether purposeful or not, Alya most definitely made a mark on the Wizarding World over the summer, no more so than her family's arrival at King's Cross Station Platform on September 1st. It had been well before the war with Gellert Grindelwald that such a large number of Black family members congregated together to send their children off to Hogwarts.

However, quite unlike their ancestors, these family members were smiling warmly to their children and other families that stood on the platform. Now the Blacks still had an air about them; however that high Victorian attitude that prevailed before, appeared to have been diminished. Even more surprising, the group appeared to be interacting with both magical and non-magical families equally.

Standing a little off to the side, watching their ongoing with amusement, Alya heard Tonks murmur from behind her. "I can't believe you're a Metamorphmagus like me."

The raven haired girl rolled her eyes and laughed. "Please, Dora, as I said before comparing me to you is like comparing a garden snake to a Basilisk."

It had taken most of the summer but she had finally concluded why the ritual called the Mutatio-femina failed. Although the Metamorph ability had been known in ancient times, it suddenly appeared in the Black family journals sometime in the late 12th century. A hundred and fifty years later, after the Wizarding world had been ravaged by the Black Death, the ritual had been created to make sure that the Head of the family would always be male.

Even though there had only been nine wizards and witches who apparently had the same powers as Tonks in the Black family, it wasn't terribly uncommon for small gifts to appear. Both Bella and Narcissa remembered a cousin who could change the length of her hair, while all three of Alya's aunts remembered that their grandfather's eyes would change color when he was angry.

Hermione had uncovered at least five young witches who had been born male before the second ritual had been crafted. Apparently, the largest change between the ritual cast on her by her father and the one had been found her grandfather's personal library had been those with the Metamorph ability. The later ritual would permanently lock the female fetuses into a male form. Unfortunately, and the reason why the ritual fell out of favor was because those so called males were sterile.

A Metamorphmagus might appear to be to be either gender but only in their true gender could they reproduce. That revelation had been one of the most embarrassing conversations over the summer, when she had to explain that Harry had never experienced certain 'male' only bodily functions.

Why hadn't she reverted early in her childhood had also been questioned. According to their research, all of the boys had reverted to girls before their second birthday, a common time for Metamorphmagus skills to appear. Tonks first change had been only a month after she was born, a testament how powerful she was.

It was Luna who pointed out that Alya had been hit by the Killing Curse at her fifteenth month. Everyone agreed that must have contributed to why she didn't change and it must have been something inside the Department of Mysteries that finally caused Alya to revert to her true form.

She still didn't show any Metamorphmagus skills though, as much as Tonks tried to teach her. It was pointed out that her children might have the ability though. The thought of giving birth was a bit disturbing though.

"Whatever." Tonks reached out to embrace her cousin into a warm hug. "I'm going to miss you."

Turning around, Alya found herself wiping some tears from her eyes. "I am as well, please be careful out there. OH, be sure to tell Liam hello for me."

Alya then gave her cousin a lecherous grin. A few weeks ago Tonks had been asked out by one of the old members of her Auror team. After a few dates, they appeared to have hit it off fairly well. A small part of Alya felt sad; however if Tonks was happy so was she.

"Mum says were going to be late." Looking down, Alya was surprised to find one of her new cousins, pulling on her robes.

"Well hello there."

"Oh, please don't bother, Miss Black, Katie." A young woman, great-granddaughter of Isla Black started to walk over. Isla had been cast out of the family after marrying a Muggleborn. Like many of the others, they were aware of their great-grandmother's history but had been surprised when approached by Ted Tonks to bring them back into the family.

"It's fine Anna." Alya smiled at the young girl's mother.

On the other side of the group, her husband was talking to what appeared to me a man in a uniform and his wife. Alya had been happy to see that after the battle of Diagon Alley, as it was now called, they had reached out to the family of the Sergeant Major.

Once again, Alya made changes to the wizarding world without really knowing what she had done exactly. During the clean-up, she had been approached by one of her older cousins, a retired Auror. After speaking with him, she agreed that the Sergeant should speak to the Aurors on the scene. If nothing else, a non-magical opinion might serve them well.

The Aurors were so impressed by the soldier that he soon found himself speaking directly the two senior Auror Captains on the scene. The next day, the Sergeant met with Madam Bones who eventually introduced him to the Minister of Magic.

Afterwards, Richard Abbot met with the Prime Minister of England asking for assistance from the British Crown after learning of the centuries of experiencing in dealing with home grown terrorists. Although still a secret, such a thing as asking for help would have been unknown even a month or two before.

If Alya knew that there would be soon non-magical Special Operations units and other Intelligence resources involved in the war on Voldemort, she would have approved. Why did anyone expect it the fate of the English Wizarding world to be solely on the shoulders of a sixteen year old was beyond her.

~o~O~o~

"Why would Professor Slughorn want to speak with me?" Alya commented as the second year that had dropped off the message, closed the door.

"Mother says he collects people." Yurika Haneda, a seventh year Slytherin, commented.

Both her, Selina Moore, and Alya's cousin Talitha had joined Alya in her compartment. She hadn't expected it but wasn't surprised that after helping her younger cousin and her friend find a cabin with other first years, that Talitha introduced her to her two friends.

What she didn't expect but really shouldn't have been surprised by was how they acted around her. After scaring off several gentlemen callers, the three girls quickly remaindered Alya of Crabbe and Goyle, although a much prettier and smarter version.

Talitha was also quick to make sure that none of the visits were long and even collected a number of envelopes, which Alya knew to be invitations to various events. Of course even with all the other people coming to say hello, without having Malfoys annual visit, the ride was much more pleasant.

The only two people who Alya really wanted to see who had not stopped by were Luna and Hermione. Alya knew they were with the Weasleys having had a slumber party with Ginny the night before.

She had already spoken with them but still hadn't decided how she would proceeded with some of her old relationships, but still keep Luna and Hermione safe. A lot of course, a lot had to do with what house the hat sorted her in.

"Morgana." Alya whispered. "Maybe the hat was right the first time."

"What did you say?"

Alya just shook her head while looking down at the invitation. "I remember, Aunt Narcissa mentioned something about that."

From what her aunts had said, the man enjoys his comforts and tended to collect people. While the three were at Hogwarts, he was in charge of Slytherin House and Alya expected the same this year with Snape working someplace in the Netherlands.

For some reason though, Dumbledore had gone out of his way to make sure that the old Potions Professor taught at Hogwarts's this year. That little tidbit of information both intrigued her and annoyed her at the same time.

"Want some company?" Yurik asked. "I need to go speak with some people anyway."

Alya didn't miss the nod between her cousin Talitha and the seventh year Slytherin; Crabbe and Goyle indeed.

~o~O~o~

Inside the dining car, sitting around a large round table, sat a number of students Alya recognized immediately. As soon as she entered however an older looking gentleman immediately stood up.

"Miss Black, a pleasure to meet you-"

"Stupefy!"

Alya had already felt something off, twisting out of the way as a bright red light passed her head. Ignoring the shouts and screams around her, Alya quickly chained three spells together, hitting her attacker with all three.

She was then shocked to find Neville Longbottom, stunned, disarmed and tied up in ropes.

Everyone looked at each other in shock, whether from the attack itself or how quickly the young witch dealt with her attacker. With a sigh, Alya said. "Perhaps, Professor, we should revive the young man and discover why he felt the need to cast a stunner at my person."

Neville Longbottom;s summer started out surprisingly well, his grandmother proud how he acquitted himself in the Department of Mysteries. However, considering their family history, he had been shocked to learn that his grandmother had been talking with the Black's new head of House.

Recently after reading some strange stories about the disappearance of Bellatrix Black, he young man had become somewhat concerned. He well remembered how Sirius Black had attempted to harm Harry at school, although of course now everyone knew that he man was his friend's godfather.

Suffice to say, Neville was already keyed up after meeting with the other members of the Ministry six, except for Harry who appeared to be missing. Perhaps it was even a flashback for when a spitting image of his most hated person entered the dining car, he acted without thinking.

"Mister Longbottom an explanation if you please." A very angry Professor Slughorn asked as the young man came around.

As the young man looked around the room as if trying to understand what happened, Alya knew what happened.

"Sir, I'm sorry. I thought I saw-"

"No real harm done Professor." Alya stepped forward, surprising those in the room as she passed Neville's wand to him as he got off the ground. She knew exactly what happened. She too had plenty of nightmares of the fight inside the Ministry and stepping on the train made it all too real again.

"I'm not sure." Slughorn looked at her for a moment.

"Really sir, I'm sure it was just a simple misunderstanding." Smiling she turned to Neville. "I can see how those reflexes helped you and Potter prevail against those Death Eater's at the Ministry."

A girl Alya didn't recognize turned towards Neville, eyes wide. "Were you really In the Ministry with Harry Potter?"

As she watched the normally shy Neville explain what happened last year, Alya made her way to her own chair. She smiled as it was pulled out by another familiar face.

"Hello, Blaise, how was your summer?"

The tall, dark-skinned young man shrugged. "The usual, I spent the latter half with my mother and Aunts in Naples."

During one of the Ministry functions, Alya had spent part of an evening sharing a table with his infamous mother Lissandra Zabine. The so called Black widow, although having no love of non-magicals, despised Death Eaters almost as much as her own family.

Although she didn't have a lot of influence, they did have money, and her family had quickly become part of the Black alliance that started to gain footing inside the neutral houses. Interesting enough, she also found out that the older witch had dated her father for a short time before Sirius was arrested and thrown into Azkaban.

Watching the other side of the table, Zabine said. "He's not as much of a squib as I thought. I heard Longbottom held his own at the Ministry and from the way he cast that stunner those rumors might be true."

"Indeed." Alya said as Blaise helped her take a seat.

Zabine then gave a slight grin. "Those same rumors tell me that you and Potter are currently an item."

Rolling her eyes, Alya said. "I didn't think you read 'Witch Weekly.', Blaise."

"My mother tells me you made quite a lovely couple dancing at the Ministry Ball."

"Please give your mother my best." Alya decided to ignore the young man and was happy when Slughorn spoke up.

"And how is the rest of your family?"

"Doing well, my Aunts have spoken highly of you."

Alya could see Slughorn process which Aunt he could speak about. "And how is Andromeda, I was pleased when I read that she was made Senior Healer of the Spell Damage Ward."

"Well you will be happy to know, although the news hasn't been made public." She leaned forward a little. "Aunt Andromeda was just made Director of the Ward as of next month."

"How splendid. "The Professor's eyes lit up. "I'll be sure to send her a card once the information is made public. Since you already know Mister Zabine, let me introduce you to the others at the table."

Quickly the Professor made introductions. Alya of course recognized Neville and one of her least favorite Gryffindors, Cormac McLaggen, who leered at her. The girl she hadn't recognized was a redheaded Ravenclaw named Melinda Bobbin who smiled in greeting while continuing to speak with Neville.

"How was your summer, Hestia?" Alya greeted one of the Carrow twins who sat next to her sister Flora.

She had met the two at the home of her Aunt Capella. Although the two were related to the infamous Death Eater twins of the same last name, her half of the family had broken away during the first war. Her father and older brother were in fact both Hit-Wizards working with Alya's aunt.

"Mostly fun until mum decided we needed to spend more time with grandma Burke."

Flora then joined the discussion. "She just wanted to spend time with Papa." Leaning over, the usual unemotional girl giggled. "I heard you and Zabine talking about Potter."

"You know we aren't dating." She reached over and poked the young girl in the side, only to cause her to giggle more. Thankfully she wasn't in the 'Witch Weekly' article that the twins were happy to point out. Most of it covered Harry's visits to the numerous schools over the summer and rumors where he will be attending.

Rumors of Harry Potter leaving England permanently got bad enough that Hermione had to put a Press Release stating that he would not be attending Hogwarts this year but be working with personal trainers. When the Ministry didn't comment, most people believe that Potter was now working directly with either the Aurors or Hit-Wizards.

The room however began to talk about Harry Potter's whereabouts and when Neville tried to apologize again, Alya waved him off.

"Apology accepted, Longbottom. No harm done."

Nodded, he then asked. "So, is Harry doing well? I mean, I heard that he spent part of the summer with you."

Alya knew the Ron of Ginny must have spoken to him on the train already. "Well my father was his godfather; however I haven't seen him since he went off to Bulgaria."

Looking at Neville's disappointed face, Alya made a promise to herself that she would take him aside, along with the other on her list soon and tell them the truth.

up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hooray!

Dahlia's picture

Another chapter of one of my favorite stories on BC. Thanks so much for this new installment. I wondered how the integration of Ayla back into Hogwarts would go. It is interesting to see the interactions of the uninformed teens in assuming a relationship with Harry. What a shock for them all if they truly knew.

Dahlia

I love when another chapter

thliwent's picture

I love when another chapter of this comes out, it's excellent writing :D

My favorite story

This is so good. The detail and background just fits perfectly.
Hugs
Grover

WoW

Elsbeth's picture

Wow, thank you! I am trying to make sure with the background my ducks are all in order, although the story has gone well off the AU end by this time :)

thanks for reading

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Happy to see more of this...

And more from you in general, Elsbeth. I'm looking forward to seeing how you handle the days and nights at Hogwarts.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Hogwarts.

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, Hogwarts. is going to be an interesting write. thanks for reading Loki

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

And now we wait...

Robyn B's picture

I was sure when I started this chapter that we might have got to the part of the story that covers Alya's polyjuice appearance as Harry. Alas that was not to be. And so we wait. It might not even be in the next chapter 'cos there are a few hints that there is more to the story before we get there.

These are all signs of good writing and an author interacting with her readers creating a sense of excitement and anticipation. But the wait is killing me....

Robyn B
Sydney

Alya's polyjuice appearance as Harry

Elsbeth's picture

Yep it will be mentioned soon enough, thanks for reading. Happy your enjoying the story

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

What is this England of which you speak? :)

Gr8tS4g3's picture

I know it might seem like nit-picking but there is no such thing as Prime Minister of England nor should you reference The English Wizarding world as a term when I suspect you mean British, we are, after a lengthy Referendum campaign STILL a United Kingdom, despite what my fellow Scots might wish and it is unlikely that Rowling or any of her characters would make this sort of error - especially given that Joanna is a fervent Unionist .
Other than that I am continuing to enjoy this - imho - much improved version of the Potter story.

The Nature of Monkey is Irrepressible!

What is this England of which you speak? :)

Elsbeth's picture

Sorry must be my Irish acting up :), of course your correct, thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Unless some sort of spell is

Unless some sort of spell is put on the ones whom Alya is going to let into her secret regarding Harry, won't she be letting the cat out of the bag by telling these certain ones? It would seem that just by accident someone would blurt out or mention she and Harry are one and the same. Just saying, I guess.

Spells

Elsbeth's picture

Correct, she has spells on the information otherwise someone might accidentally let it out

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Oh Elsbeth dear......

It took me a while to get around to reading this one, but it was anything but disappointing! I just love when they refer to Alya & Harry in the same sentence as if they were to separate people! And just loved how she deflected that attack without batting an eye! Thank you sweetie for the wonderful installment.... Loving Hugs Talia

Fanfics

I recently got wrapped up in reading a bunch of the HP fanfics. Some are garbage and some rehashes of the originals. I have read about 50 so far and tossed many others. This one I consider to be tied with two others as the best of the bunch. I admit I did only go through the first 75 or 80 pages of listings to pick and choose, so have not come close to all, but the other two were not even on those pages yet. This is well thought out and an excellent plot and story line. GOOD JOB!