Take Three Girls Part 13

Printer-friendly version
Take three Mk 1.jpg
Take Three Girls Part 13

Take Three Girls. This is about 2 girls and one woman (myself) and their very different route to become the women they knew they should be. It was going to be called Take Two Girls, but an on line friend (she knows who she is) and the girls bullied me into the name change. Some poetic licence has been used to help the flow of the story but not very much.

This part of the story deals with the aftermath of the violence and sees Kate finally emerge a stronger and more complete and in some ways complicated person. You will notice that these chapters are being posted more frequently - this is down to me as I have to get this out of my system.

**********************

I let her play with my dogs for an hour then suggested, “Bed?” Kate looked at me her expression troubled finally she stated, “Mum’s doing to die ‘int she?” I was troubled; as I had promised never to lie to her but this... So I said, “I honestly don’t know love but I do know she’s seriously hurt.”

Kate looked at me appraisingly. Finally she said, “Can I sleep with you aunty Av?” “Oh Katie” I gasped, “Of course you can I could do with a cuddle after today!”
A trace of the old Katie emerged when she commented, “Our Carl would have cuddled you!”
“Katie” I spluttered, “That’s not what I meant – and you know it young lady”
We went upstairs to bed and in spite of everything Katie fell asleep instantly as for me I lay there for a few hours mulling over the day before falling asleep.

The next morning when I woke up Katie was still cuddled into to be quietly snuffling. She was weeping and by the dampness of my nightdress had been doing so for a while.
I held her close and soothed her. We got up and both had a shower and dressed – luckily she had a supply of clothes at my house but I would have to get Carl or Pete to bring her clothes here. I wasn’t letting her anywhere near that house.

We had breakfast then I phoned London explaining why I wouldn’t be at the meeting.
The engineering manager said, “Is that the one all over the papers?” “What” I gasped, “I haven’t seen any papers this morning.” “Well” he said, “I suggest you do.”
Carrying on her told me, “Look don’t worry Avril take as long as you need. I can’t promise the contract you were coming up to discuss but we have another bigger one that would suit you better coming up in about a months time.”
I was touched by this and thanked him for his understanding promising to keep in touch.
Just then the morning paper dropped through my letterbox! Picking it up I opened it and sure enough it had made the front page.
Scanning the story I saw that it was the usual bollocks the press make up when they don’t know the facts.
A classic case of why let the truth stand in the way of a good story! I felt a surge of anger course through me – now Katie would need me more than ever.

I couldn’t hide this from her for as soon as we arrived at the hospital she would realise that the sh1t had hit the fan!
When I told her that the story was in the newspapers I must say she took it well! She simply shrugged – I guess she was numb.

As I made breakfast the phone rang Katie picked it up and spoke then she bellowed, “Aunty Av there’s a girl called Victoria for you!” Oh pooh I thought, but putting my professional head on I answered. “Hi Avril” Victoria greeted me, “Is it possible that I can see you I need to talk!”
I thought for a second then answered, “Yes no problems I have to take my niece to Hospital then I’ll give you a ring to see where and when you can make it – ok?”

She was silent for a moment then said, “Well I was hoping in private Avril – but”
I didn’t let her finish saying, “Don’t worry love it’ll be just us two. Her brothers will be there. So I’ll give you a call when I find out what’s happening.”

“Who’s that aunty Av?” Katie asked.
Briskly I answered, “Just a girl that needs some advice – that’s all.” Kate looked at me asking, “Is she like me?”
I tousled her pink hair telling her, “Sweetheart there’s no one like you! Pink hair and all!”
In response I got a fleeting cheeky grin as she said, “Yer really don’t like me hair d’ya?” Grinning at her I answered truthfully, “Katie I absolutely hate it! Because pink really clashes with your eyes.” Adding sotto voice, “And my sensibilities.”
With that we headed to the hospital where we met with Carl, Pete and surprise, surprise Wayne.

Kate flew to Wayne saying, “Oh our Wayne, you saved us you stopped the bastard hitting us – you’re great our Wayne!”
Wayne hugged her back telling her, “It was nowt little un I’m sorry I wasn’t there earlier to stop him hurting our mam.”

That brought Kate back with us, “Where’s mum, how is she, where is she, is she...”
Carl said quietly, “Wayne take Kate to her mum” the two of them left I looked at Carl saying, “You look like shit!”
He smiled wryly answering, “I feel like shit love. I’m off home to get some kip Pete’ll take over here.”
Pete nodded and said, “You ok to drive?” Which got a shrug from Carl as it to say I haven’t a clue.

I said to Pete, “I’ll take him home I assume Kate will be here all day talking to her mum. Tell her I’ll be a couple of hours then I’ll be back – ok.”
Pete grinned and quipped, “You’ve broken her down Carl she’s going to be a couple of hours.”
I blushed crimson and Carl let out a lewd chuckle saying, “She’s safe I’m so knackered I’d never manage it!”
“Gee thanks” I shot back, “And here’s me thinking you fancied an old woman! Come on let’s get you home to bed!”
Then I realised what I had just said and my blushes returned big style – Oh god me and my big mouth.
We left: Pete standing there chuckling; Carl with me similarly chuckling and me I was as embarrassed as hell.

I drove Carl to his flat that was in a very fashionable part of the city in a block of very exclusive places that cost upwards of £250,000 for a flat – there was more to Carl than met the eye.

“Thanks Avril” he said as he got out of my car, “Want to come inside for a cup of coffee or something?” He was breaking me down slowly and part of me did want to but instead I answered, “Nice try Carl thanks but no thanks! Anyhow I have to meet someone in town.”
I said this with a broad grin on my face so as not to insult him. He smiled and as he left said, “You can’t blame me for trying.” Still smiling I simply shook my head and drove into the centre of town.

Once I had parked the car I phoned Victoria and as I suspected she was already in town so I arranged to meet at a salad bar, which was a favourite of the two of us. As I walked there I picked up some panties and other bits and pieces for Kate.

I had just got some coffee when Victoria arrived, I could see that she was pleased to see me by the broad smile I was greeted with.
Even though she was a very self confident girl I knew that she was awash with insecurities especially about how others saw her.

And this is why she wanted to talk to me. One of her grandparent’s had insulted her. Now as she was the sort of girl who would never hurt anyone she was upset.
I think this was the first person that had really upset her. This really hurt as she thought the world of her grandfather.

He mother had not been really helpful Victoria thought this was because her mum was close to her father-in-law. So she resorted to me someone outside her family.

We discussed how people relate to transsexuals. Her being young and also being stunningly attractive people generally accept what they saw.
I related how I had been and still was rejected by my grandmother who classed me as an abomination.
The main thing is not to rise to any taunting or insults her grandfather may throw at her. Try and keep out of his way but give him chance to change his mind – but don’t take this to heart.
Of course I had to ask her if she still wanted to continue.

The look I got was answer enough as she said, “Look at me Avril I’d never make a man, also I have female reproductive organs inside me and soon I will be having an operation to make sure that should I start my periods it will not kill me.”
I was amazed with this revelation as she was just over 15 but if her life was in danger the operations can be carried out and she could go onto puberty blockers to help stop the periods – clearly her parents have been helping her a great deal since I last met them. It seems that now they embraced the idea of a daughter whole-heartedly!

As we parted Tori told me, “Thanks Avril I always feel better after talking to you. I think its because you listen and understand.” I gave her a hug then went to get my car reminding her, “You can call me anytime Victoria – you’re no trouble to me.” “Thanks I appreciate you being there. Oh! Do you mind me asking who answered this morning?”
I smiled at her saying; “Oh it was just a niece that is staying with me for a while.”
We hugged again and said farewell and I retrieved my car from the clutches of the cash-generating machine called a car park!

On the drive back to the hospital I reflected not for the first time the differences between these two girls Victoria had a loving home background while Kate – well enough said.
Some may say that Victoria’s problems were minor and petty. But I strongly disagree when you have made a decision as big as what she has made. Any insult or thoughtless remark hurts and if you have someone you can talk things through with it helps a lot – this is where I come in.

Back at the hospital Kate was with her mum. Helen was in the ICU wired up with tubes and drips, the machine was breathing for her as she was in a medically induced coma.
I sat for a while then suggested we go and see how Jan was recovering. As we walked to Jan’s ward Kate told me, “Me mam won’t live aunty Av!” she gave a sniffle and carried on, “That bastard will live but I’m not living with him – never I’ll kill me self first.”

I took hold for both her hands and looked at her telling her, “There’s three things wrong with what you’ve just said!” “Wot” was the terse reply. “
One your mum is serious but alive! Two if you don’t want to you won’t have to live with your dad!
And three I’ll kill you if you kill yourself!” I said the last to try and snap her out of her melancholy.
That cheeky grin was instantly there as she pounced on my miss-use of language,
“You can’t kill me if I’m dead – so there!”
Grinning with her I answered, “I’ll find a way! Now lighten up a little your mum’s still alive and we’re at Jan’s ward and we’re here to cheer Jan up!”

I think Jan was relieved to see Kate was really all right battered and bruised but otherwise fine.
Jan on the other hand had been to theatre and was wearing a see through mask that was holding her broken bones in place.
The mask made it difficult for her to speak (which for Jan must have been murder as she loved a good chat) so I did all the talking assisted by Kate who had lightened up a little.

After an hour Jan was getting tired so promising to come and see her again Kate and I left going back to the ICU to sit by her mum.

Carl arrived about six looking refreshed and told Kate to go home he’s stay the night. He also was moaning about having to get a cab to the hospital as his car had been left (costing a fortune in parking fee’s).

This became the routine, Carl and Wayne stopping at the hospital at night Kate and Pete during the day.

That is until the day Kate’s mum died! That evening is seared into my psyche – I still have dreams about it and it was 5 years ago.

Kate and I had got home and had some tea as usual I was curled up on the sofa with Kate curled up next to me with my dogs flopped all over her – we were watching TV.
My phone rang and by the ring tone I knew it was Carl. My heart plummeted as we had made an arrangement that the only time he would phone me was if anything happened.

With a sense of absolute foreboding I answered and received the message I had been dreading – Kate’s mother had suddenly gone into cardiac arrest and in spite of all the efforts of the ICU team she had died!

Something must have shown in my face because Kate went white she whispered, “No please no not that please.”
As I reached for her I said, “I’m so very, very sorry Darling..........” Her reaction was something I had heard and read about but never thought happened in real life.

A howl came from her throat followed by another anguished wail, wail after wail followed! Very soon the dogs joined in howling in sympathy with her!
I believe it is called Keening! It was basic and primeval making the hairs on the back of my neck and on my arms stand on end shivers were coursing up and down my spine. I hope I never hear anything like that again.

I could just make out Carl on the phone asking what was happening, I briefly explained then hung up slipping onto the floor next to Kate enveloping her in my arms and I hope love.

After what seemed like an age the keening stopped followed by the howling from the dogs and Kate simply clung to me sobbing her heart out!

Bright Eyes

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I have to say, this is one

I have to say, this is one heck of a good story. Well Done. I look forward to reading more.

Sad

Dahlia's picture

So sad for fragile Kate. I know that life is full of sadness but it seems so much more so poignant when we are young. It is part of the ebb and tide of life but still it is sad. I'm glad that you could be there for Kate.

Dahlia

So hard to read that last part

Suddenly the print was blurred and hard to make out. Thank God you were there for Kate, Christina. You are a Star.