Tamara's Debut - Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Début - A Tommy & Tamara Story
Tamara's Début

 

Part Three

 

by Shiraz

 

 
Tuesday 18th November
 
 
Tammy woke at eight and walked into the kitchen bleary eyed. Sarah put a coffee in front of Tammy and sat with her at the kitchen table.

"Tammy, I've had your mother on the phone. She wants you to send her an email when you switch your laptop on just to let her know how you are. You'll need my wireless password obviously."

Sarah handed over a small printed card then continued, "She's sending me some money to take care of you, in fact it is rather more than I reckon I might need. I suggest you follow Jill's advice and stay here, do you have some coursework to do?"

"Yes, I was working on a report on Friday afternoon and have a long-term project that needs some attention."

"Right, I have to go in a minute, I'll go to the supermarket on my way home. If you really need to go out, there's a spare key on the hook over there, but please text me when you go out and when you get back."

"Is that necessary?"

"I gave your mother an assurance I wouldn't let anything happen to you. If you're staying with me, then you have to abide by my rules. They're only for your safety, not to keep tabs on you."

"Okay."

"I'll be off then, have a good day and don't lounge around in your nightie all day. Oh, you'll need something nice for Saturday." Sarah gave Tammy a kiss and went on her way.

Tammy wondered if she had indigestion after last night's curry so simply had some toast for breakfast, washed down with some black coffee. She then went up and, having washed and applied some light make-up, dressed in a tartan mini-skirt and long-sleeved top.

Tammy switched on her laptop only to find the battery had less than 30 minutes remaining. It took her almost that long to find the power supply, but in the meantime she also found her phone charger and a few other necessary bits and pieces.

Once powered, she first connected to Sarah's router and logged into her bank account. The damage to the current account was very visible, although there were a few items to be returned to the stores. Tammy now had just over £50 remaining credit, it was simply not enough. She accessed a second account and transferred £2000 to her current account.

Next, she went to both Tom's Ebay and Amazon accounts to edit her personal details and add Sarah's address. Of course, Sarah hadn't actually told Tammy what her home address was but, as is common with those living on their own, a utility bill was laying on the kitchen worktop.

Before ordering anything, she checked Tom's emails. There was one from the school asking to be kept up to date with contact details and one from Tom's mum.

"Tom, dearest. You know you can always call me if you need something. If my phone's off, leave a message. I'll try to check my emails at breakfast daily if I'm not busy. Can you tell me something about this play? Lots of love, mum."

Tammy looked at the words and was tempted to say something sarcastic but thought a direct approach might work with mother. Then again, maybe not.

Tammy wrote

"Mum, money is okay, will email or call if I need anything. Play is West Side Story, I get my script later. Love, Tom."

Tammy knew it wasn't the whole truth, but mum was difficult to deal with at anything except a superficial level. Her dad was somewhat different, she emailed him next.

"Dad, can you call me later today? I might need another bank account. Will explain. Tom."

She recalled that the Constable had said no fake ID, right? How about legal aliases?

Tammy went into Ebay and did some shopping, gaining several pairs of shoes, boots and winter-wear. Thinking back to Sarah's comment at breakfast, what was she doing on Saturday? Tammy added a few bits of decent lingerie in white, red and black, just in case.

All this effort only took Tammy until 11am when she took a coffee break. Her phone decided to ring as she was making her coffee, no number was shown.

"Hello?"

"Hello Tom, my secretary has read me your email. What's the problem?"

That's the difference between mum and dad.

"Dad, have you got ten minutes?"

"Yes, just give me a moment." Tom heard is father shout a few words across a room then heard a door close.

"Right Tom, we won't be disturbed. Fire away."

Tom told his father about his work with Sarah, the play, how he'd been picked because of his voice. He then explained the problem with his hair, the school's enforced closure and that he was expected to go to the theatre for rehearsals as Tammy, not Tommy. Going back to school, when the kitchens re-opened, was another problem entirely.

"Tom, I know you're pretty good at sorting yourself out so what's really gone wrong?"

"Dad, Sarah made up this story that I was her 16 year old niece so I was interviewed by the Caithness Police Truancy Officer who'd seen me in Thurso. Even the copper had trouble believing who I really was. This little story is getting out of hand."

"So you are coping with living as a girl?"

"That's the easy part, ironically."

"That doesn't surprise me. Remember, I went to St Andrews as well and we had the usual problem when we put on school plays, no females. I once spent a month when I was 15 as a girl in order to get into character and learn the part. Bloody good fun, it makes a man out of you."

"I suppose it does, but you weren't walking around Thurso town centre, were you? I mean, doing it in the school is one thing but ...."

"Sorry Tom, I shouldn't have made light of it. Right, this is what we are going to do; we are going to level with the school, we might need their help later."

"The head's wife has already met Tammy, I don't think she saw through my disguise."

"That should make for an interesting discussion and it helps us. They could hardly disgrace the head's wife could they?"

"I suppose not. What else are we going to do about Tammy?"

"She has to be 18, not 16, so stop Mrs Bonney saying otherwise, she started that one."

"Right, what else?"

"How long before the play?"

"Four or five weeks, why?"

"You'll need to buy things for Tammy?"

"Yes?"

"Then you should have a card with Tammy's name, except it will be Miss Tamara Smart. I'll need an up to date photo today by email, I'll get you a duplicate card for your account. By the way, yesterday's purchases knocked your balance somewhat, have you moved some money across?"

"Yes, thank you, but how?"

"How do I know about the account or how am I going to do this?"

"Both?"

"Firstly, can you remember who gave you the login for your account? Secondly, I don't know but we employ lawyers and senior bankers to sort out each other's expense accounts and contracts, I'm sure they can do some real work for a change. "

"Right."

"Send me that photo, right?"

"Yes Dad."

"Also email Sarah Bonney's full details, including the business address. Do you know who she banks with?"

"Yes Dad." Tammy had seen the business cheque book.

"Tammy?"

"Yes Dad?"

"Just checking."

Tammy was smiling when she finally took the phone from her ear. She looked at the battery indicator, which was flashing, and plugged her phone in.

Owing to her light breakfast Tammy was now hungry, her indigestion was no longer evident. A quick look in the fridge found some smoked mackerel, a few salad leaves and the remains of a mild curried vegetable dish.

Tammy finished her lunch then went looking for the mouthwash. Whilst in the bathroom she tidied her make-up then went to the guest room and located her camera.

Tammy hadn't thought she'd need her tripod so used the dressing table as a perch. She set the self timer and sat on the bed. The first shot was too wide, the second and third were askew. Finally the fourth was okay. She uploaded the decent image into the laptop and edited it down to a reasonable file size before sending it. She included as many of the other details he'd asked for that she could recall.

Job done, Tammy gathered up the clothing that had been rejected, together with the receipts, and got herself ready for the town. She looked at her bare legs and put a pair of opaque tights on under her little skirt.

Her phone now had a little more charge in it so she sent Sarah a text to say she was on the way to the store, via the shops. Tammy picked up the spare key and locked the door behind her.

It was cool outside, but thankfully dry. After seven years at the school, Tammy knew the roads, just not the road names. She'd ran around the town whilst orienteering in previous years, in the winter cross-country running was not advisable for the younger pupils. Twenty five minutes later, using the lanes, she was back in the town centre.

The first thing, seeing as it was still officially lunchtime and many local shops were closed, was to take a seat in the Castletown Hotel's bar for a coffee. In there she found Sandy, the hairdresser, who immediately beckoned Tammy over.

They talked small talk about the town, the weather and the weekend's forthcoming wedding. The latter was news to Tammy. Even when told the names of the pair getting married, she was no better off. Of course, since Sandy was doing the bride's hair, she knew everything. Sandy went off at 1.45 to her salon, Tammy used the toilet and headed back towards the High St.

An hour later Tammy had exchanged or returned the rejected clothes and now carried two new bags. She arrived at Sarah's shop at three, the shop was empty and Sarah was not in a good mood.

"I had your father on the phone."

"I suspected he might, just not so soon."

"You could have warned me."

"I only ever have a 50-50 chance of getting hold of him myself, so I couldn't have known for sure."

"That's not what I said. Anyway, he seems to know alot about you, Tammy."

"I told him almost everything."

"Almost?"

"He thinks my dressing as a girl started with the play."

"I'm not so sure."

"Oh, never mind."

"Never mind?"

"Yes, he doesn't shock easily. He's sorting out some things for me."

"You never told me what he did, only that he was in international business."

"I never saw the point."

"Tammy, he's on the board of a bank!"

"Yes."

"My bank!"

"Yes."

"I need to sit down." Sarah put the 15 minute sign up and locked the shop door. The pair retreated to the store room and made a coffee. There were a few minutes of silence until both had sipped at their mugs.

"Tammy, he's looked at my cash-flow and seen that I am not doing so well. I've told you before that it wasn't good, well it's worse than that. I won't survive beyond Christmas at this rate. It might even have been sooner than that but you were bringing trade to the shop, the older ladies loved to talk to you and spent money here instead of elsewhere in town. The problem was that my trade is down so I'm making less money than last year, whilst rent and electricity cost more. It's not a good business model."

"No, not good, obviously."

"Do you know what he wants to do?"

"I'm not good at guesses like this."

"He wants to buy the business, for you."

"For me?"

"For Tammy."

"Not Tom?"

"No."

"What's he up to?"

"I don't know. But he knows if I don't take the offer, I won't survive. At least I don't have a mortgage on the house so don't have to worry about that."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't know yet. I think you need to talk to your father."

"That sounds sensible. Look, it's now getting dark out there and there's hardly anyone in the street. Let's close early and go shopping. We could do with eating indoors but your fridge is empty."

"Good idea., just one thing - I normally don't open until ten so I can give myself a chance to sort things out, I'd like to open at nine if you're with me and see if that brings in extra business, starting tomorrow."

"That does sound like a good idea, let's put a notice in the window."

With the shop locked, Sarah recovered her car from where it had been parked 24 hours earlier and they headed to the supermarket. They finally left almost an hour later with a full trolley. Tammy had paid for the shopping, perhaps feeling a little bit guilty for what her father had said.

Back in the house they busied themselves with preparing dinner. Rather than touch on the main topic, Tammy asked about the conversation she'd had with Sandy that lunchtime.

"Of course I know about the wedding, I'm dressing the bride's mother."

"When is it?"

"It's at three on Saturday afternoon at the Registry Office in Davidson's Lane, it's not far so we can walk there, I'll close the shop early."

"Us?"

"Yes, you're invited as well."

"But I've nothing to wear."

"I've sorted that out, your dress arrived today, it's hanging in the storeroom."

"But I won't know anyone."

"Yes you will, the bride's mother is Elsie who you met yesterday. She came back to the shop today and said the bridesmaids had both called to say they were stuck in London and couldn't promise to be there. This qualified as an emergency in Elsie's view and she had no other family to call upon. There will be other people at the wedding who you've met, as well."

"So?"

"So Elsie wants you to be the bridesmaid, she was completely smitten with you."

"I can't do that!"

"Yes you can, and I know Andrea and Alison will be happy for you to take their places."

"But what about the bride and groom?"

"Elsie is arranging the wedding so they don't get a say, but Catherine and David will love you to be there. They've seen a photo that was taken on Saturday at the theatre."

"I didn't know anyone was taking photos."

"Neither did I until earlier today."

The pair sat and ate, wondering who would broach the subject first. Tammy picked up her laptop in an effort to look busy and checked her emails.

There were a couple of emails from Ebay confirming despatch of her orders, as well as the usual selection of advertising emails from retailers and a bit of spam. In the middle of deleting those, a new email dropped in from her father.

"Hi Tammy, Spoke to Sarah, presume she's with you now. You can collect your new card from the bank branch in the town centre at lunchtime. There will be a legal document with it, sign it and get a couple of copies. I will need the original so make sure it gets back to me. The PIN for your new card will be the same. If you've changed your mind about this phone me straight away, I've pulled a few favours to get this done quickly. I've also left a message for the head teacher to call me. Speak tomorrow. Dad."

Tammy smiled, this was her father's usual brief style but there was warmth regardless. She read the whole email to Sarah.

"But why did he have to interfere with my business? He had no right."

"He felt he had a right, after all you are looking after his only child. But he hasn't done anything yet, just looked at the numbers and made you an offer." Tammy let the silence hang for a few seconds then asked the obvious question, "so, are you going to accept it?"

"I don't know. What do you think?"

"You haven't told me how much he's offered."

"No, and right now I'm not really sure I want to."

"That's fine, it's your business, in both senses."

"Your father wants it to be your's. How much are you worth?"

"I don't know, my accountant never told me, and I never asked!"

They both had a bout of the giggles, then hugged.

"You have a good father, Tammy"

"I know, I just wish I could see him more often."

"I get the feeling he's there when you need him."

"Yeah."

The rest of the evening was filled with conversation and a little genuine humour. At 8.30 Tammy went for her shower and slid into bed after drying her hair.

She switched her laptop back on and went back to her emails, sending a short reply to her father, reminding him that she'd be at the theatre from 6.30pm for rehearsal. Tammy then remembered that she'd not received the script from Jill, did Jill have her email address? Tammy hopped out of bed, and found Sarah in her room.

"Jill said she'd send me the script but she didn't ask for my email address, do you have hers?"

"Tammy, I'll find it in the morning, it's been a long day, I'm not firing up the computer now."

Tammy shuffled back to her room and shut down her laptop, plugging the power in to recharge the battery. She climbed into bed and was asleep within minutes.
 
 
Wednesday 19th November
 
Tammy was woken at seven and told to get moving. They were out of the door by eight but Tammy still wasn't sure why they had to be out so early, she'd grabbed her fully-charged laptop and mobile broadband usb stick just in case she got bored.

They reached the shop at 8.15, having got stuck behind several school buses in the narrow streets. Sarah cursed, she'd clean forgotten about the buses and should have taken the other route.

Tammy sensed that it wasn't a good idea to go to the shop with Sarah after she'd parked so took a slow walk to the bakery for some cakes, picking up a cheese and onion French roll for each of them as well as their mid-morning pastries.

Fifteen minutes had passed when Tammy reached the shop and tapped on the glass to be let in. The store didn't open until nine and Sarah was not prepared to have any early callers, she did at least have the kettle ready to make coffee.

"You took your time."

"There was a queue, and I had them make us some lunch."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. I didn't sleep well, because of yesterday."

"Look, if you want to get out and work things out then I'll look after the shop."

"That would be useful. Wait until we open then I'll go and call on a few people."

While they sat and drank their coffees, Sarah pointed at a burgundy off-the-shoulder dress that was hanging a few feet away.

"When I get back I want you to try that on. You'll need a red strapless bra with that, do you have one?"

"No, but I ordered a red lingerie set yesterday morning. The bra was multiway according to the website. I paid for express delivery."

"It could be here this afternoon, more likely tomorrow."

They chatted a bit more, Sarah left just after nine, having made sure the cash float was adequate. She picked up a bag from the safe and dropped it into her bag, her first stop was the bank.

Tammy setup her laptop on the counter and checked her emails but there was nothing new. She realised that she'd forgotten to ask Sarah for Jill's email address so, once again, couldn't learn the script.

There were only a handful of customers before eleven, none of whom Tammy had seen before, but they all seemed to know her name. Tammy cleared £200 in sales during that time.

By eleven thirty she was thirsty so put the kettle on, she was out the back when the bell rang on the shop door. Putting her head around the corner she saw Sarah come in, slamming the door as she did. Tammy did her best to deflate the situation.

"I'm just making a coffee, do you want one?"

"Bloody bankers."

"Pardon?"

"They've pulled the plug on me."

"Why have they done that?"

"It seems your father's little enquiry caused them to have another look at my accounts, they deny all knowledge of course. I have until next week to clear my overdraft."

"How much?"

"Ten grand."

"That much?"

"Yes. When you speak to your father thank him, won't you. I'm afraid you will have to fly to Geneva after all so you can thank him in person."

"Look, leave this with me, I need to go to the bank myself. Sit down so you can have a coffee and your cake. By the way, I took £200 this morning."

"Two hundred? Any other day I'd be grateful for that much, especially midweek, but it doesn't seem like much right now. You can try the dress on when you get back, if I don't send it back. I close at one on a Wednesday."

"I'll be back in an hour." Tammy walked out with her bag over her shoulder.

She went straight to the bank and spoke to a customer advisor who was sat, bored, near the entrance. He was pretending not to notice that Tammy was stood there, she waited patiently for a minute before speaking.

"I believe there is a package for me."

"We only open children's accounts on Saturdays."

"I believe you misheard me, there is a package for me," she examined the name tag, "Jeremy".

"I'll check, but I hope you're not wasting my time."

"You haven't asked my name yet, so how could you check?"

"Well?"

"Tamara Smart."

"Right Miss Smart, if you'd like to wait a minute. Please wait there." He pointed at some seating then picked up his phone and called the back office. After being transferred around a few people, he announced, "there is a package for you, for some reason it's with the branch manager. Could you come with me."

She was led to a security door and into a corridor. They stopped outside the Branch Manager's door, Jeremy left her there and wandered, still bored, back to his perch in the lobby.

She knocked and was admitted after a few seconds.

"Good morning Miss Smart. I'd be grateful if you could tell me what's going on."

"I'm here this morning to collect my new card and to sign a legal document."

"I was told I couldn't open this envelope until you arrived and I had to have my assistant manager present as a witness. This package was delivered by courier half an hour ago, it is not normal practice for customer accounts, it is most definitely not normal for a school girl."

"I'm sure you're a busy man, Mr Doherty, in a very busy branch," the moment seemed to be right for a little sarcasm, "but doesn't this bank have a customers' charter?"

"How very droll Miss Smart." He picked up his phone and summonsed his deputy. The manager opened the package in front of Tammy and the assistant manager, there was a covering letter, an official document, a small sealed envelope and a bank card in its' own envelope. The manager was less than happy that this should be taking up his time, and deskspace.

"The letter asks that I read the instructions out loud."

Tamara nodded, guessing much of the letter's content, and style.

"Dear Mr Doherty, you should have, in your presence, Miss Tamara Smart. Her photo is printed on the reverse of the debit card however I do ask that you establish positive identification first."

"Why can't one of my staff handle this?"

"Mr Doherty, the letter?"

"Enclosed is a document that Miss Smart needs to sign. She should be able to produce a staff identity card in the name of Tom Smart."

"Miss, I don't like cloak and dagger games, do you have this Mr Smart's ID card?"

"Yes, Mr Doherty." She handed the card which described Tom as a junior in the international division of the bank.

"I don't know how you got this, is it your older brother's?"

"No, please continue."

"Please do not ask Miss Smart about the origins of the card she has handed you. I can assure you it is authentic and the reasons will become clear shortly. She now needs to sign the attached legal document, witnessed by you both. I require the original be returned to my office and Miss Smart is to take four copies. You should also retain one copy at the branch."

"This document says that 'until further notice, Mr Tom Smart will also be known as Miss Tamara Smart.' What is this?"

Tammy answered, "this, Mr Doherty, is a document drawn up by the bank's own solicitors in London. You do not need to know the exact reasoning. Please pass it here." Tammy signed the document, signing as Tamara then passed it to the manager who in turn passed it to the assistant. The assistant scurried out of the room holding the document.

"You will now ask Miss Smart to sign the debit card in your presence, you will also return Mr Smart's bank ID. Open the small envelope and hand the contents to Miss Smart. There is a receipt slip enclosed. You should then act on any reasonable instructions from Miss Smart, any queries should be directed to myself."

The manager did as asked and tore open the little envelope. A bank ID pass bearing Tammy's name and photo was inside. Her job title was now 'Assistant to International Director'. The card gave her right of entry into any branch as well as the HQ buildings.

"Mr Doherty, could you please finish the letter."

"I would remind you that any documents you have seen today are confidential and that the party involved is an employee of the bank. Disciplinary proceedings will be started if any information about this letter, the documents or Miss Smart is disclosed. I would also remind you that as my assistant, Miss Smart has privileged access to bank records. Yours, Richard Smart."

"Your father?"

"Yes."

"Why all this kerfuffle?"

"He is a stickler for proper procedure, particularly where there is a sensitive subject."

"I see. Now, I get the feeling you want to discuss something."

"Yes, I understand a Mrs Sarah Bonney visited the branch to deposit some money and was not given a good reception."

"You know I can't discuss customer's accounts."

"Yes you can, Mr Doherty. Didn't the letter ask that you act on any instruction, and didn't it also state that I am an employee of the bank?"

"Yes, but I'm not comfortable with this."

"That's fine, I'll call my father."

"Is that necessary?"

"It is if you won't confirm certain details to me."

"Okay, what are you looking to confirm?" He accessed Sarah's business account on his terminal.

"Her overdraft is £10,000? What is the current balance?"

"£8,850 overdrawn."

"And you are calling in the overdraft?"

"Yes, she has seven days."

"On what grounds?"

"We applied our standard risk assessment for small businesses."

"Did you see her yourself?"

"No, my assistant did, he handles business accounts."

"How long could you have given Mrs Bonney to repay the overdraft, even assuming that the risk assessment was valid?"

"We could have waited twelve weeks, but normal practice is eight weeks for sole-trader businesses. Given the economic situation and the business' recent poor performance it's clear we decided to give her a much shorter timescale, although there aren't many notes on the system."

"So, by giving her one week you are obviously intent on seeing her business fail, however if you allowed her eight weeks, that would move the deadline past Christmas and through the busiest time of the year for her business? I would suggest you do exactly that. You should write to her and have that letter dropped by hand into her shop this afternoon as your actions have left her very distressed. I would also suggest you take more than a cursory look at her business' performance, particularly at the period including December last year and January this year."

The Assistant Manager had walked back into the room as Tammy was saying this.

"Who are you to suggest this?" He hadn't been in the room when it had been established who Tammy was. Tammy reached for the ID card in front of her and hung it around her neck. The manager answered before Tammy did.

"Miss Smart is an employee with the authority of one of the directors. You will act on her suggestion. Please hand Miss Smart her copies. Miss Smart, if we're finished?"

"Thank you Mr Doherty." Tammy left the room as the manager made certain his assistant knew what was expected. She folded the copies into her bag.

Tammy used her swipe card to exit the office suite and return to the lobby. Jeremy was sat bored as she walked past him.

"Miss, did you get your account sorted?"

Tammy stopped and turned to him, her bank ID on display.

"Certainly Jeremy, by the way I won't need a new kiddies account seeing that I'm on the payroll here but if I hear you refer to any other customer like that you will need a new job. Understand?"

"Yes, Miss Smart."

Tammy used the ATM inside the branch, inserting her new debit card to get some cash, checking her existing PIN did indeed work.

She smiled as she walked back onto the street outside the branch, having remembered to remove her bank ID. She walked back towards Sarah's shop but bumped into PC St James on the corner of the High St.

"Good afternoon Constable."

"Good afternoon, er, Miss Smart."

"Could I have a word? Perhaps a coffee over there?" She pointed at a small café."

"I'm due a break so that's fine."

They ordered their drinks and sat in a quiet corner.

"Constable, I recall that you said I should not get any fake ID."

"I did."

"I took your advice and now have that organised. Here's a declaration from my father's solicitor, duly witnessed."

"What? Oh, you have legally adopted this identity. Is this valid under Scottish law? I see that it was issued in London."

They paused while their drinks were delivered.

"If my father's solicitors have drawn this up then I think we can be satisfied that this is valid. I also now have a debit card in this name. My photo is on the rear in case of query," She held up the card. "I'm also an employee of the bank just up the road." She showed him the bank ID then put that and the other items in her bag.

"You didn't have those on Monday."

"No, but it only took a day to organise it through proper, legal, channels. Mrs Bonney is going to ensure everyone knows I'm really 18 years old, as she started that rumour. I hope you're satisfied that there is nothing untoward going on."

"It remains very strange, to be sure, but I can accept what you're saying. You're a very confident young, er, lady, Miss Smart."

"Thank you officer. I hope this has cleared up any issues you may have thought you had."

She got up and paid for the drinks, then headed back into the nearby stores looking at winter clothing. Short skirts, with or without tights, were not recommended for the Highlands during the colder months.

Tammy finally arriving back at Sarah's shop well after twelve thirty.

up
463 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Instead of Tammy's Fathers

Instead of Tammy's Fathers idea of the business being bought out and Tammy taking full custody and control, I would much rather see Tammy becoming a partner with Sarah in the business. She could even become a 'silent partner' if she chose to do so. I do have a feeling that Tammy is going to try and clear up all the back payments needed to bring Sarah's business finances up to date. I am also glad she pick it too both the assistant manager and especially Jeremy. There is way, way too much rudeness going round this world today. It is as though people just believe they can be as rude as they wish and nothing, nor any one, can do anything about it.

nice chapter

just the right amount of sarcasm to show some haughty bank muckety mucks. im thoroughly enjoying this story. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Just Looked At Thurso on Google Earth

littlerocksilver's picture

It looks like a delightful place. We were near there this summer. We spent a day in Kirkwall, and another day in Ulapool. Invergordon and Inverness were also quite nice. Not so much Invergordon, it was pretty industrial, but the area south was very picturesque. The monster did not appear.

Portia

unfortunately Tammy and her

unfortunately Tammy and her father didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal that they offered to buy the business out from under Sarah, granted she knew she was in financial trouble but since I assume she started the business and was hoping to make a go of it, it would be quite a shock to have someone tell you you're not going to make it why don't you sell it to me and i'll give it to my kid who just happens to be your employee to run, it would definitely lower your sense of self worth , I guess that's what happens when you're a banker and you play with millions of dollars everyday, you get to the point to where you fail to notice that your playing with other peoples lives.

Trans folk put up with a lot of shit.

I can sense some of the frustration in the author from having to do so.

The fact that Daddy is on her side is so significant.

You go girl!

D. Eden's picture

Wow! Tammy takes charge!

It sounds like her father is not only comfortable with Tom being Tammy, but that he also knows or at least suspects that there is more to this than just a play.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Sarah's Overdraft

joannebarbarella's picture

Tammy showed great common sense in just getting the foreclosure period changed to eight weeks. That's still within ths bank's normal rules so nobody loses face. The extension can be shown to be an "administrative review" or some such valid excuse.

However, I would not trust the bank's capacity to keep Tammy's personal circumstances confidential. Too many people know already and Dad doesn't seem to be at all worried.

I suspect there will be some management

changes at the bank. They have some problems of their own. There problems just got bigger when a personal representative of the banks higher ups showed up one the scene.

Cool as a cucumber

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy's dad doesn't seem to rattle easily. Nor suffer fools lightly. That the idiots at the bank only took a shortsighted view of Sarah's account showed they weren't concerned with helping her to stay in business.

While they are in the business to make money, losing a customer could have caused ripple affects throughout the town. Sarah closes her doors, she has to either find a job in town or move. She moves and who she shopped with lose her business. The ladies shopping at her store will now have to shop elsewhere, at places which suit their tastes. And it might not be in town.

The way Tammy was initially treated at the bank leads one to believe they think a bit to highly of themselves. It might not be a bad idea to audit that bank, and have a change of personal. No bank should treat any customer as though that customer is interrupting their work or act like dealing with a customer is a waste of time.

Others have feelings too.

Maturity

Well, she may be getting in over her head with her job, the play,xand at school. The hair, the pierced ears, the job in a dress shop, rehearsals, andd the number of people in the know,xand that know her. Despite all that, put her in the business world and daddy has trained her well. She might now have the perfect project ford her business class.