The Rose (Chapters 9-11)

Printer-friendly version

A meeting on the beach brings two people together and changes the world.
This is not your usual Maggie the Kitten story. It is an adult story, a romance, if you will.
I think you will enjoy it. Holly

The Rose (Chapters 9-11)

Written by Maggie the Kitten

Edited by Holly Hart and Shelly Shalimar

 
Chapter Nine
Meetings
 
Love had indeed been heavy in the air that night, but not just on stage. There in the darkness just off stage and out of view of the 50,000 who were glued to rock's Romeo and Juliet, Cupid shot another arrow. This one pierced Cindy's sister Ally and a dashing young man who had only come to deliver a rose, and in turn, found the love of his life.

The magical rose had struck again and it had been an unknowing Tess who'd placed the pair in Cupid's line of fire.

It had all begun when Cindy called Tess on their airliner’s in-flight phone before the concert as the other girls were admiring the view above the Emerald Isles. She wanted to tell her that she, along with Jenna and Ally, were currently some 30,000 feet above Ireland and would be landing at Heathrow within the hour.

Tess was absolutely thrilled and started to shout for Lynx, but Cindy quickly begged Tess not to call her love. She asked Tess for her silence and her assistance, as she had a surprise plan for her beloved. Tess listened and smiled impishly. By the time Cindy had finished relaying her plan, Tess’ eyes were welling with happy tears.

When Cindy asked her if she thought Lynx would be surprised, Tess giggled and answered, "The boy won't know what hit him. I wouldn't miss this for a million dollars."

Realizing she had to get a few things done, and all without her brother's knowledge, Tess rang off after telling Cindy she would take care of everything. The young woman immediately set about doing it. She pulled Jon and Rich aside and informed them of the little surprise flying in. They of course, shared her enthusiasm for this little subterfuge and promised they would have the music ready for the moment. Tess, ever the little minx, neglected to tell Rich that Jenna would be joining Ally. She figured, why should Cindy be the only one to surprise her man.

Tess kept one eye on her pacing, frustrated big brother as she informed most of the stage crew of the change in program. They promised all the lighting and sound would be ready on her cue. Tess checked the clock in her dressing room and eased down in her chair. The California girls would be landing any time now and all was prepared and waiting.

She glanced over to her makeup table and smiled as she saw the flowers that had been sent by a fan earlier in the day. Lifting one from the vase she drank in its aroma and then suddenly her eyes went wide. The tulip fell from her hands as her mouth fell open and she collapsed in her chair. Placing both hands over her mouth she stared in horror at the flower filled vase before her.

"Oh no!" she gasped. "I've forgotten the rose!"

She knew that Lynx had sent Cindy a rose for delivery today, as he had every other day since he'd first met her, and never once had it failed to be delivered, but now that record was in jeopardy. Lynx hadn't known his beloved would be joining him in England this night. The rose he’d intended for her was probably sitting alone on her doorstep in California or taken in by a neighbor. If ever there was a night that Lynx HAD to present Cindy with a rose, this was it.

The young woman ran her fingers through her strawberry blonde locks as she reached for the phone directory. Turning to the florist’s section she said a silent prayer that she could find one who would deliver a single rose on such short notice.

Thirty minutes, and over a dozen calls later, Tess' prayer had yet to be answered. Most shops were either already closed or couldn't make delivery in time for the concert. The talented keyboard artist crossed her fingers as she dialed the last number in the book. An older gentleman greeted her with a kind voice, and immediately Tess set into her tale.

By the time she was finished she was nearly in tears as she pleaded with the man, telling him his was the last number she’d had to call. If he couldn't help, she would have no choice but to wander the streets of London and pray she could find a strolling flower vendor.

The phone was quiet for a few seconds after Tess' heartfelt plea. The old man had been a florist for many years. He had heard Tess' song many times before. He knew love's desperation, and the power of the flower. For him, there was still no greater joy than preparing a bouquet for a nervous young man who was about to ask his love to marry him, or creating wedding displays for the most beautiful moment in a young couple’s life. Tess' plea for help was just another reason why he hadn't retired. He immediately set to calm the panicked young woman.

Tess breathed a sigh of relief when he said he could help her. He did add that he was actually already closed, and his normal delivery driver had gone home for the night; however, his grandson, who lived in the flat above him often made special deliveries on short notice. He closed by saying that he would have his finest red rose prepared and delivered to her in time for the concert or shortly after it started, depending on traffic. They quickly agreed on which gate his grandson was to go to.

Tess gushed as she thanked him and told him he couldn't know how much this meant. The old man smiled into the phone, telling Tess he was just glad he could help. He sat the receiver down and chuckled. "Some things never change," he thought, realizing he was glad of it. Heading to the back of shop, he sought out his finest rose as promised, then buzzed his grandson to inform him he had an emergency delivery.

Tess called for some help from security to make sure that Cindy, Jenna and Ally could get in without tickets, and so the florist’s grandson would be able to get in with the rose.

Back behind the stage at Wembley, the band was doing final tune-ups and Lynx was making his last failed effort at trying to ring Cindy. Tess kept one eye on her brother and one eye on the stage door. She didn’t know which would show up first, Cindy or the rose.

Either way she wanted to make sure her brother saw neither before its time. When the rose had failed to arrive shortly before concert time, Tess asked a couple of the band’s roadies to keep an eye on the gate where she was expecting both the rose, and the girls, explaining the situation. They happily agreed, as Lynx and the Kool Kats took the stage and the crowd by storm.

At the end of the opening number, Tess saw a big smile and sign language for the letter “C” from one of her cohorts off stage. She smiled and nodded knowing that meant that Cindy and company had safely arrived and were hiding in Tess' dressing room.

In said dressing room, a very nervous Cindy was pacing the floor and wringing her hands. She had spent years preparing herself to be a tennis professional who one day might be center stage at Wimbledon, but being center stage at a rock concert was another matter all together. She couldn't believe she had given into such a crazy impulse. She chastised herself, saying she should have been thinking with her head and not her heart. She wasn't a singer. Sure, she'd practiced with the band for fun, and they all said she was pretty good. ’Pretty Good!’ she thought. ‘ “Pretty good” doesn't stand in front of 50,000 people performing a surprise love song for her man.’

Jenna and Ally, as each had so many times before, did their best to try and calm Cindy with reassuring hugs and buoy her confidence with words of encouragement. Ally had just pulled Cindy into a big sister hug when one of the stagehands knocked and came in. He apologized for intruding, then asked a favor. He told them about the rose delivery Tess had been expecting and wondered if perhaps either Ally or Jenna might be able to lend them a hand. The crew had their hands full with some very difficult stage and lighting arrangements and it would be a tremendous help if one of the girls might be able to stand watch with a security guard should the rose be delivered. He added it wouldn't be but for two or three songs, tops.

Whether it was destiny’s call, or just the fact Ally was closest to the dressing room door, she volunteered to keep watch, leaving her little sister with one last loving hug and giving Jenna a warm smile, thanking her as always, for being there when Cindy had needed a friend and second sister the most.

Ally took a brief glance at the flurry of backstage activity, marveling at the way Lynx was working the crowd with another of his soul stirring ballads as the stagehand led her to the stadium gate where a security guard was waiting for the flower. She had to admit her little sister sure had good taste in men.

The security guard was just explaining that he’d alerted other guards around the stadium, “in case the flowers come to the wrong gate,” when her attention was captured by a young man approaching the gate with a bewildered look on his face.

“I think that’s him,” she interrupted the guard, pointing at the man with the rose. It was a good thing her attention was riveted on the rose at the moment he spoke. “I have a special rose delivery for someone named Tess?”

"Oh, thank you for bringing the rose. I'm not Tess, but I can accept the delivery,” Ally offered cheerfully. It was probably a good idea she did speak before taking in the full view, for she was nearly speechless after she looked up. There, standing before the young woman was a young God dressed in jeans, t-shirt and trainers. He was tall, at least 6'4 as he towered over his 5'2 worshipper. Thick wavy blonde hair fell to near shoulder length, and oh, my, what broad shoulders they fell to! The shoulders gave way to a massive chest and strong arms that beckoned Ally to fall into them and it was all she could do to keep from answering the call. Her eyes met his as she reached for the wrapped rose. His were a deep hazel and they reached out to Ally with the same power as the gentle, disarming smile now gracing his lips. It was obvious he was appreciating the breathtaking view before his eyes, as well.

Ally somehow found the strength to take the rose from this blonde Adonis, and in doing so their fingers touched. Ally felt it. It was like a warm electrical wave that started where they had touched, but quickly spread throughout her entire body sending, hot tingles to the very depth of her soul. She wanted to say something. She needed to say something, but her mouth couldn't find the words, as her both her brain and her heart were in complete awe of the man who stood before her. Had this handsome knight not taken the initiative, Ally might have stood there doing her "deer in the headlights" impression for who knows how long.

"I ummm ... sorry. It took me a while to get here. The traffic to Wembley is bumper to bumper. I think everyone in London is trying to see Lynx and the Kool Kats."

The second wave hit Ally, and this time her knees nearly buckled. His voice was as beautiful and unique as his body. This time she actually heard his voice, not just his words, and it nearly defied description. It was soft and gentle, with a huskiness that gave it an almost silk over gravel quality.

A cool summer breeze was blowing, but Ally was very warm and becoming more so by the moment. Before she became a pool of estrogen at his feet, Ally managed a smile and a few words. "Yes, we had quite a time of it getting in from the airport."

She paused just a moment to draw in some much needed oxygen, as her head was still trying to piece together coherent thoughts. For the first time, she took her eyes off the English beauty before her and drank in the American beauty rose in her hand. Both were breathtaking. She smiled broadly. "Oh it’s a beautiful rose! I can't thank you enough for bringing it. You've really saved the day for Cindy and Lynx."

The young man appreciated the beauty of a rose. He'd spent enough time around them at his grandfather's shop but the young woman who held this lovely red beauty in her hand had a brilliance that blinded him to that of the flower. Long auburn locks cascaded down her back, nearly to her waist. Big hazel eyes framed in thick long lashes were the windows to a gentle and beautiful soul as enticing as the shapely seductress’s body housing it. Ally was still dressed casually after the long airplane ride, yet even in a simple blouse, skirt and tall boots combo, her image had a beauty as full and as captivating as any woman he'd ever met gracing the streets of London or the walls of the Louvre.

Almost on cue, a street light flickered on and bathed the beauty in a warm glow reminiscent of moonlight. Her hair, her eyes, her full soft lips, and peaches and cream complexion sparkled, giving her whole image a fairy tale quality. He felt as though he was face to face with an auburn haired Cinderella. The rose she held fitted her hand as surely as any glass slipper would her foot. Pure and simple, he was in the presence of a goddess. If he could have moved, he would have knelt before her, but at that moment the only thing he knew still working was his heart as he felt it pounding hard against his chest.

Somehow finding words he broke the moment. "My grandfather told me it was an errand of "love's mercy" as he called it. I kind of make deliveries for him when the regular driver’s gone for the day or when he needs one there REALLY fast."

The boyish twinkle in his eyes and smile was contagious and Ally barely suppressed a girlish giggle as she imagined a little boy and his racer darting along the sidewalk chasing pedestrians on his way to the candy store.

Finally, Ally felt she could take a full breath and smiled up at him. "Well ... I can't thank you or your grandfather enough. My little sister and my future brother-in-law will forever be in your debt."

Reaching to her skirt pocket she pulled out a small wad of English pounds. She was glad they'd had time to exchange a few notes at the airport. She started to count them, then just extended the entire amount toward him. There was far more there than the price of a dozen roses but the old man's kindness and the marvelous Mercury who'd run this errand of mercy was worth more than every pound she had in her pocket.

The young man quickly waved off her payment, saying that it was a wedding gift from his grandfather and from him. It was then this beauty-induced fog finally lifted enough from his brain for him to realize just whose engagement he was providing a flower for. It was THE Lynx and THE Cindy, the Danish rock star and the American girl who'd caused all that stir in the papers. The goddess before him was none other than her sister. He was very happy he could help make their fairy tale romance a reality, but he was even happier to know that the rose's intended was not the woman who held it. Not seeing a ring on her finger also added to his glimmer of hope.

Ally was touched by his refusal of payment and blushed demurely. She gushed as she thanked him again, before she took a bold leap of faith that directed her destiny once again. Since he would not accept her money, perhaps he would at least accept her invite. She couldn’t offer him front row and center, but if he was willing, he could stand and watch both the show and the moment unfold from a vantage point offstage with her.

He readily accepted her invitation as the security guard escorted them to the dressing room. It felt perfect and natural to be there for Ally, and when she let her free hand fall to her side, he quickly rescued it and placed it in his. She looked up at him and smiled. She was twenty-three years old and this wasn't the first young man who'd ever held her hand, but no boy or man's touch had ever set her soul afire like his did.

She was nearly lost in his eyes again before she realized that not only did she not know her Lord's name, she had yet to offer her own. Her eyes twinkled as she playfully half-curtsied and introduced her self as Alysson, “but please, just call me Ally”.

Her companion returned her smile and in then in the spirit of the moment, knelt slightly and kissed her hand. Looking up to meet her gaze, he returned introductions. As he rose to stand by her side once again, she let his voice and his words have way with her heart and soul. Her god had a name, and it was Andy.

Directing Andy to their safe spot off stage; safe from Lynx being able to see Ally and alert him to his beloved’s presence, the pair had a perfect vantage point to see the sold-out performance. Yet during the near four hour long concert with its countless encores, neither Andy nor Ally really saw much of the show. Ally had been able to tear herself away from Andy long enough to give Tess the rose on cue, and they both watched Cindy's ballad and the duet that she and Lynx sang, but the rest of the time the show was but a backdrop to their getting to know each other.

Ally loved Andy's voice, but aside from its gentle sound, she had noticed it had only a hint of an English accent. She had also noted his tall build and blonde locks seemed to be more suited to a California beach, than a London fog. When he told her where he had been born and spent most of his early life, it all fell into place and both of them were in stunned amazement at the coincidence.

Andy was a transplanted Englishman; transplanted at the age of 16 from San Francisco, California. Ally could scarcely believe that she'd traveled seemingly half way around the world to find this beautiful man, who as a boy had played on the same shoreline, only several hundred miles north. This revelation only strengthened the bond being forged between them, and Ally listened intently, drinking in every word as Andy told his tale.

His father was an American, an Air force officer who’d been stationed at a base not too far from London. His mother worked in a flower shop owned by her father, the same father, now Andy's grandfather, that had answered Tess' plea for help.

One night, Andy's father had been invited to a mixer at a pub in London. His mates said it was a good chance for him to meet a few of the local girls, maybe even the right one. Their words were a true prophecy in part, as that night he did meet the woman of his destiny, but it wasn't among the fair ladies who attended the party, as Geoff never found his way there.

Wanting to make a proper impression, he’d stopped at a florist on the way to pick up a single flower., It had been a rose, of course. His plan had been to mingle among the ladies and if any one captured his heart that night, he would present her with a rose. He couldn't help it. He was a hopeless romantic.

When he entered the shop an uncommon English beauty greeted him. Even surrounded by flowers, her brilliance was unmatched. She was 21 and her name was Jan. Six months later she married Geoff, and two years later she conceived a son. His name was Andrew.

Not long after Andrew was born, Geoff's four-year stay in England ended and he was able to return to the United States. He got a post at a base in northern California, only a short distance from his childhood home in San Francisco. When Jan first set foot in her new home on the California coast she was already pregnant with her second child. It would be a girl, whose name would be Elsa.

Geoff and Jan got a nice off base residence northeast of San Francisco, which became their home base for the next fifteen years, even when Geoff was sent overseas for additional tours. Because of his specialty, we was able to apply for and get reassigned to the same base when stateside.

The family had a small second home, a beachside cottage, really, over on the coast, where Andy, his mom, and his sisters moved every time Geoff was overseas. That meant Andy had spent much of his life combing the beaches, and watching out for his little sisters. His sister had become plural two years after Elsa was born, when Jan gave birth to the baby of the family, Sara.

As most military brats know, you have to be ready to move when your father or mother is in uniform. The fact that Andy's family had been stable for all those years was a miracle. The miracle ended shortly before Andy's sixteenth birthday, when Geoff got orders to return to England. Andy was no stranger to the UK, as his family had spent at least one or two holidays visiting his grandparents every year.

Andy and his sun worshipping sisters missed their sand and beaches but England has a charm all its own, and soon the kids had fully acclimated themselves to their lives there. Sara loved to draw and often escaped out into the nearby woods, sketching and capturing the natural green beauty around her. Elsa's creativity took the form of words, and she too, took off with pad and pencils to write tales of princesses locked in castles and the princes who came to save them. Andy carried the creative gene as well, but at 16, he had still been trying to figure out how to manifest it. He dabbled with paints a bit, but it wasn't until he attended university at Cambridge that he’d found his calling. What called to him was rock and clay, but more aptly put, he found his talent in sculpting.

The hands, the strong but gentle hands that held Ally's, were gifted. Using those hands to mold clay or shape rock into his mind's image was a burning passion with Andy, and Ally could see it in his eyes when he spoke of it. He told her that when he saw a block of marble or a pile of clay, that he would stare at it until he could see the image contained within. After that, the rest seemed easy. He had but to mold the clay appropriately or remove the excess rock.

He had graduated from Cambridge with an art degree, and predictions of great things to come from his mentors; however, that was four years ago and while he'd created some interesting and provocative pieces, the money was slow in coming. Fortunately, his grandfather had offered the flat above the flower shop as a studio and living quarters for the struggling young artist. He even gave him the chance to make a few pounds now and then making flower deliveries.

After Sara also graduated from Cambridge, Geoff and Jan returned to San Francisco. Elsa and Sara had become as at home in England as Andy, and decided to stay, renting a flat together not far from the flower shop. The young women pooled their finances and talents and had submitted several books for publication. Elsa wrote the stories, while Sara illustrated for her sister and several other authors. Elsa's tales were starting to gain an audience, while Sara's enthusiasts had bestowed the title of "Art Angel" upon the up and coming young illustrator.

Ally felt her own story paled in insignificance compared to Andy's. Of Kim and Bill's two children, she felt she was far more boring and less courageous than her little sister. Cindy had been the one who had faced such adversity to become the strong woman she was today. Ally was just the older sister who’d first seen the little girl peeking out behind the frown of a sad boy. She was the one who’d held her little brother while he cried quietly because he couldn't have long hair like Ally or wear dresses like Ally. She was the one who’d hosted those secret tea parties when her “little brother” became her little sister, Cindy. The transformation that took place when she helped him into the dresses she had long outgrown had been incredible. It was the only time she could remember him being truly happy or smiling. For years she’d kept the secret, until the day she stood beside Cindy when she broke the news to their parents.

Ally, when she wasn't keeping a watchful eye on her sad little brother, and then later very vulnerable little sister, was like most teen girls. She loved her clothes and her music, and of course fancied her share of boys. She was bright and beautiful and popular. Like Andy's sister Elsa, she had a penchant for writing and wrote some powerful and moving stories in both college and university. However she’d decided not to try her luck as a starving authoress and went after a more stable career. Like Andy, she had a passion for rocks, too, but not at such a creative level. She had graduated from UCLA with a degree in Geology, but Ally was quick to “pooh pooh” her grandiose sounding title, simply calling herself a "glorified rockbound."

Ever since she’d been a little girl, she’d loved picking up shiny stones on her way home from school. Her pockets would usually be heavily laden by the time she reached the house and she would share them with Cindy. She had quite the impressive basement collection by the time she left for UCLA. She’s been hoping her hobby might translate into a career, but just as Andy had found things a slow go, so had Ally.

Six months after graduation, she had yet to land a job in her field, eventually returning to UCLA to take an office job. Instead of exploring mountains of rock, she unhappily waded through mountains of paperwork and files, slaving away for a department head who held her no love, but a hearty grudge. The old letch had come on to her shortly after she started.

Ally had put him in his place right away, and after that he'd made her life a living hell. Two months before, some university budget cuts had been announced and Ally's department was to lose one employee. It didn't take Ally's bachelor’s degree to figure out who was getting sacked. Since then, she’d been living on unemployment while she searched for a new job to call her own. When Cindy called and asked her if she could leave for England on a moments notice, she laughed, “Let me check my calendar.” Two seconds later, she said, “I’m free!” Ten minutes later she had packed an overnight bag and was on her way to meet Cindy and Jenna.

Andy would have liked to have given her ex-boss a proper thrashing for the way he'd treated Ally, but at that moment he'd gladly shake his hand, for had he not fired her, she might not be there with him now.

They continued to talk, each drinking in more of the other until the concert finally ended. When Lynx, Cindy and the Kool Kats finally left the stage after the sixth encore, Ally quickly introduced the band to Andy, explaining he had brought tonight’s rose. Lynx shook his hand and gave his heartfelt thanks, while Cindy hugged him tightly.

After the marathon concert, the band excused themselves for quick showers and a change of clothes. When they returned, two limousines stood ready to take everyone out for the traditional after-concert dinner.

Not being in the know, Lynx offered a free arm to Ally as they headed for the limos. However Ally graciously declined her future brother-in-law’s arm and the luxury accommodations, taking her place beside Andy, saying they’d be along in his van.

Jenna, Cindy and Tess immediately recognized THE LOOK in Ally's eyes as Andy's fingers gently took hers on the way out the door. Lynx and the other guys stared in disbelief. They didn't have a clue. Guys never do.

It wasn't until everyone was settled in at one of London's finer eateries that Cindy finally filled in Lynx on how she'd pulled off her little magic act. As her story unfolded, it was clear to all that she had been a Cinderella Cindy, with a fairy godmother named Shelly, who’d made the magic possible.

It had all started the evening, or rather, for them, the morning of the scheduled Wembley concert. Jenna and Cindy were glued to the radio and television listening to bulletins on the situation in London when Cindy’s cell phone rang. Naturally she’d assumed it was Lynx, but was quite surprised to hear Shelly’s voice on the other end.

Cindy had grown quite fond of the young woman who had been such a help to Lynx professionally, and both of them personally, during their courtship. She was glad to hear her voice, but naturally, concerned it could be bad news.

Shelly had bad, good and wonderful news for her. The good news was that no one in the band had been hurt as a result of the power outage or the mass of people that were already swelling the stadium hours before the concert, in anticipation.

The bad news was that when they had been informed it would be hours, maybe all night before power could be restored, they had decided to reschedule the concert for the next night, which meant that Lynx wouldn’t be able to return to her in time for their anniversary.

The wonderful news was, that Shelly had a plan to bring them together for the occasion, only it would require a change of venue to make it happen.

When Cindy asked Shelly how Lynx would feel about her coming, the sexy spin-doctor giggled, saying he had no idea she might be coming, and she thought it would be the ultimate romantic surprise if they kept it that way. Cindy concurred completely.

When Cindy asked her if they had time to set up flight arrangements, Shelly informed her that three seats on flight 8675 from L.A. to London in three hours were already reserved and waiting for her, Ally and Jenna, and for them to get their lovely buns into them.

Cindy couldn’t believe Shelly had been so kind as to include her best friend and sister, but Shelly couldn’t have imagined it any other way. She knew how much the two meant to Cindy and it just wouldn’t have been right to expect her to leave them behind. “You don’t have to pack much, but this is an overnight flight, with a nine hour time zone change. Just take a carry on bag and a nice comfy pillow for each of you.”

Less than three hours later, the three musketeers were London bound babes. During the long flight over, Jenna and Ally came up with the idea of having Cindy go out on stage and sing to Lynx. Originally, she had just planned to appear front row and center when the lights came up, which would be a shocking surprise in and of itself, but Cindy’s fan club had one better.

They had both heard her sing and knew she was good enough to be out there, so her ability wasn’t an issue, and not only would she have a surprise for Lynx on their anniversary, but a gift as well, a song perfect for the occasion. Cindy loved the Carpenter’s and knew some of their material by heart. “Superstar” was her favorite song, and hauntingly fitting for the moment.

However much Cindy wavered at the idea of performing that song in front of 50,000 people, Ally and Jenna could see she was leaning just a bit and finally toppled her over by asking her if she would rather be down below the stage, separated from him by equipment, guardrails and security guards, or on stage with him where he could come to her. The question removed all doubt, and Cindy’s public debut as a song stylist was on.

As they were approaching Ireland, and able to use the in-flight phones, Cindy called Shelly and ran the idea by her before committing to it completely. She felt she owed her at least that much after all that Shelly had done to make this possible. The fairy godmother said the idea was pure magic, and having heard Cindy sing while in L.A. knew she could pull it off. Sadly, she wouldn’t be able to see it in person, as she was stuck in New York over some legal hassles, but she sent Cindy luck and love before ringing off.

As soon as she was through with that call, Cindy rang Tess who shared everyone else’s enthusiasm for the idea. Lynx’s twin sister set everything up, right down to the just-in time-rose delivery, and from there, Lynx knew the rest.

The young groom-to-be was deeply touched by so many things: Shelly’s efforts to bring Cindy to him, Jenna and Ally helping Cindy to find the courage to step on stage with him, Tess for setting everything up to make the song possible, Andy and his grandfather providing the rose, and of course, his beloved Cindy who’d crossed the pond, and taken the stage just to be with him. He truly was the luckiest man alive.

By the time they made it to their hotel rooms, it was nearly dawn. Everyone crashed as soon as soon as they found a soft spot, but Lynx and Cindy stayed up a little longer to greet the morning together; something they were looking forward to doing for the rest of their lives.

As Lynx did not have to rush off to another concert, and Cindy was through with classes for the year, the gang spent three days touring London with Andy and his sisters, Elsa and Sara as their guides. Cindy found England as charming and as storybook as she had always imagined, but for her, the best fairy tale of all was the one she was a living, as each day, her prince presented her with a rose.

Cindy and Lynx were off on their own for a walk through the beautiful English countryside when Cindy told Lynx she needed to discuss something with him. Her tall and handsome Lord stopped and searched his Lady's eyes. He could see it was important, or at least it was to Cindy, and that of course, made it important to him.

They stopped at a rather inviting looking stream and sat beneath a convenient shade tree. Lynx smiled to himself, remembering the first time he had met his beloved by the water and wishing he had brought his guitar.

Cindy took a deep breath before she started. "I've given this a lot of thought, and I think I'm ready. I realize that I was going to wait and everything, but I don't see any point in it. Now I know Mom and Dad will freak, but they know I'm ready and I can always go back later and finish, right? And legally at least, THAT'S not going to be a problem, as that's already been through the courts and done with.

And best of all I know we'll be able to spend more time together. Soooo ... what do you think? I mean I really hope you think it's a good idea, but ... but if you think I should wait, well then ... I'll wait. Did I say I think it means will be able to spend more time together?"

A very confused Lynx smiled at his beloved, who looked very much like a little girl trying to desperately convince her father she was ready for a pony. Lynx would gladly give Cindy his support, his approval and even a pony if that's what she wanted, but it would be easier to give it to her if he had any idea of what she wanted to do.

"Cindy ... I think ummm ... it's probably a wonderful idea. Obviously you do, but I might be a bit more objective if you could tell me exactly what it is that you want to do," he added with a soft loving smile.

Cindy blushed crimson realizing she had put so much effort into presentation, she had forgotten the most important part of the content. Covering her eyes in embarrassment, she shook her head before facing her beloved again.

"Sorry ... I got a little carried away."

Taking a deep breath she started again. "I want to forgo my last year at UCLA, and start playing professional tennis this summer."

Cindy stopped, waiting for a reaction, good or bad from Lynx, for like the animal he was named after, he was a patient hunter and allowed his prey to run herself out before making his move.

Cindy, seeing he was waiting for her to continue, did just that. "I've been the number one ranked women's player in college all year long and haven't lost a match. I've won three of the four amateur events I played in outside of school, and two of the girl's I beat have since went on to go pro. I feel like I am ready. Coach Thompson said I was ready. You read that article in Women's Tennis that rated me as the number one amateur in the world? They said I was ready too. Now ... I know what you're thinking. You think once I leave school I won't go back and get my degree. Well ... Cynthia Lynn Fox isn't a quitter. I'm not really quitting ... I'm just taking a break from school and I will go back and finish later. That's a promise. And I don't have to worry about my legal right to play women's tennis, thank you very much Rene Richards. And ... after this last year being in the spotlight along with you, I know I can handle the publicity of going pro. Did I mention I think it would mean we could spend more time together?"

Cindy, finally spent, anxiously awaited her beloved's response.

Lynx smiled and pulled his love in for a cuddle before saying a single word, and then, not wishing to cause her pain by teasing, gave her the words she'd hoped for. "Cindy I don’t know tennis as well as your coach or the writers at Women's Tennis, but I do know YOU, and I KNOW you are ready. My only question is, I wonder if the ladies in professional tennis are ready for you?"

Cindy hugged him tightly, rewarding his support with kisses. The Lynx drank them all in greedily and then added, "And besides, it means we could spend more time together. You did mention that, didn't you?"

Cindy's eyes lit up with playfulness and the chase was on and she went after the Lynx who showed how fast he could move when he needed to. The game of chase, hug and kiss eventually ended with a celebratory splash in the stream to honor Cindy's splash into professional tennis. After a good soaking, a truce was called, and the pair walked back hand-in-hand to join the others and share the news with them.

That night Cindy called her coach, her parents and Uncle Bob, and while her father raised all the objections she knew he would, in the end, everyone knew this was what Cindy wanted and that she was ready to reach for it.

When Cindy returned from Denmark, (they decided Cindy’s surprise splash in England was also the perfect chance for her to meet Lynx’s parents), she would make the announcement. Women’s Professional Tennis would never be the same.
 


 
Chapter Ten
Parental Consent
 
The next two days went far too fast. Soon it was time to load everyone up for Denmark, everyone except for Ally, that is. Much to no one’s surprise, she had decided to remain behind and extend her English holiday a few days longer. It seemed one particular “sight” in London required further appreciation and exploration by the smitten young woman. Elsa and Sara agreed to put Ally up at their flat while Andy and Ally explored the English countryside and their growing feelings for each other.

Lynx spent most of the short flight from London to Copenhagen reassuring Cindy that his parents would love and accept her in person just as they had over the phone. Cindy wanted to believe him, and needed to believe him. The previous contact she’d had with his parents over the phone had gone very well, but still she couldn’t help but feel as though she was playing for the national championship and she was going to have to win it on the other team’s court.

Any young woman going in to meet her prospective in-laws is bound to be nervous, and considering Cindy’s background, she had every right to be petrified. Not only was she a foreign “commoner” marrying into a family with a royal heritage, but also there was her birth defect to be considered. Every girl wonders if her fiancés parent’s will think she is woman enough for their son, but few brides-to-be have had to fight for their right just to be called a woman.

As the plane made its descent into Copenhagen, Cindy knew she had to trust her instincts and her beloved. Lynx said she would love both Denmark and his parents and so far he was already half right as the aerial view of this lovely land of lakes, mountains and inlets was absolutely breathtaking. Both her and Jenna were pointing and smiling like a pair of kids peeking in a candy store window while Rich and Lynx enjoyed playing Danish travel guides.

Denmark's national heroes were met with a rousing reception from their fan club faithful. Lynx and the Kool Kats appreciated the warm welcome home and did their best to sign autographs and pose for as many snaps as possible. Jenna and Cindy thought to be spectators in the show, but were reluctantly pulled into the mix by the band and received the same honored treatment.

Considering Cindy was taking Denmark's most eligible young bachelor off the market, she feared the reception she would get from his many heartbroken lady fans, not to mention the country as a whole, might be less than enthusiastic. Her fears however turned out to be totally unfounded as the footage from the concert at Wembley had now been shown world-wide, including Cindy's solo and Lynx's subsequent proposal. As one Copenhagen paper had put it, “Anyone not touched by the love these two share needs to be checked for a pulse.” When Cindy stepped off the plane she quickly found out that in the eyes of the faithful, she was now an adopted Danish princess.

They had been at the airport for nearly two hours and the crowd seemed to be swelling, rather than dissipating. Lynx was beginning to wonder if he was going to have to present Cindy to his parents for breakfast rather than their planned dinner, when an angel, an angel with long shimmering locks of many colors appeared and rescued them.

Tess was the first to spot a waving Shelly across the terminal as she pulled out a bullhorn and told the frenzied fans she had free copies of Lynx and the Kool Kats latest album AND within one of those albums were four free front row tickets to their next concert which included back stage passes to meet the group.

Lynx shook his head, then blew a kiss to his PR angel as the crowd divided itself between Shelly's offer and a chance to touch the real thing. The diversion opened up just enough of an avenue for our heroes to slowly make their way out of the terminal and into the limousine that Shelly had waiting for them.

Once safely inside and heading for their respective homes, Tess smiled. "Now that's what I call a PR agent who is your best friend. Shelly is a godsend."

Everyone, including Cindy and Jenna shared Tess' words of praise for the native New Yorker whose professionalism and empathy had not only brought the soul mates together for this very important moment, but had championed their cause with the press and the public from the moment she took the reins. Cindy was sizing up her "fairy godmother" for a bridesmaid gown as the limousine made its first of two stops.

Rich’s family home was ten minutes from Lynx and Tess’, and Jenna was about to get a guided tour. Jenna and Rich’s romance had been blossoming right along with Lynx and Cindy’s but hadn’t drawn near the press coverage. Knowing what their two friends had been going through as the price of their popularity, both Rich and Jenna were glad they didn’t have to pay it.

While Rich hadn’t dropped down on one knee yet, it was clearly only a matter of time until he did, so this meeting between Jenna and his parents held the same importance as the one that awaited Cindy. Cindy wished her nervous best friend good luck and made arrangements to rendezvous with her tomorrow to compare notes on how well each had done. Jon also grabbed his gear as his place was but a short work from Rich’s.

A few minutes later the limousine reached its final destination as it passed the gates leading to the home of Lynx and Tess' parents, better known to Danes everywhere as the Duke and Duchess of Oldenburg.

It was a beautiful old stately manor befitting royalty. Flowers seemed to be everywhere, but both Lynx and Tess had told Cindy to expect that, as their mother loved having their beauty both in the house and on the grounds. The ocean came almost at the back door of the estate, and Cindy smiled as she remembered Lynx telling her about the many summers he'd spent learning to sail under his father's patient guidance.

When the limousine pulled up in front of the house, there was no army of servants to meet them. Both Lynx and Tess had told Cindy that while the house and grounds was all pretty much storybook royalty, their parents were much more down to earth than the traditional aristocracy, and only kept a small servant staff to help with the maintenance. Save for catered affairs, there was only one cook at the estate and that was Lynx's mother, two when Tess was home, and three when Lynx decided to dabble in the culinary arts on occasion.

Cindy stepped out with the aid of her betrothed to be greeted by a pair of smiling faces. A tall man, stout with sparkling dark eyes, thick red hair, and a moustache to match waved at the new arrivals. Cindy smiled as she saw the handsome man who reminded her of a Danish version of her godfather Bob. She could easily imagine him and her Lynx aboard a sailing ship bound for adventure. Cindy blushed as she found herself getting carried away in a fantasy novel and then turned her attentions to the beautiful woman next to the beautiful man.

She was tall and slender, a fair-skinned woman with long honey blonde hair and deep green eyes. She had the beauty that time seems to have no dominion over, so although she had to be in her forties, she still had the youthful countenance of Helen of Troy; except in this case, her face could have launched a thousand Danish ships. She smiled warmly and waved when she saw her children and the young woman who wanted to be part of her family. Cindy smiled back, mentally noting that now she knew where Lynx had gotten that killer smile of his.

Tess was the first one to make contact as she pounced into her father's strong arms and showered him with kisses before settling for a happy snuggle. Mother quickly joined them as Lynx led Cindy up the stairs to meet the Duke and Duchess, or Christian and Caroline, as they’d asked Cindy to call them. Lynx offered his hand to his father who took it and shook it firmly before pulling his son in for a bear hug. After extracting himself, Lynx hugged his mother tightly and kissed her lightly on the cheek before finally introducing Cindy.

Lynx's father reached out and kissed her hand before winking and then offering her a much more casual and comfy welcoming hug. Cindy took it graciously, now understanding what Lynx had meant about how informal his royal parents were. She was then passed to Lynx's mother, who smiled warmly, took her hand and then kissed her on the cheek and gave her the best greeting she could hope for. "Welcome home, Cindy."

Cindy smiled, resisting the urge to curtsey before the first royalty she’d ever met. “Thank you, thank you for allowing me to call this home.”

Christian offered one arm to Cindy and the other to Tess. Both girls took their places by the Duke's side graciously. Lynx offered his arm to his mother, who smiled lovingly at her handsome son and did as her "daughter's" had before her.

Once inside, Tess was the first to spirit Cindy away, as she hurried her up the stairs to show her the room they would be sharing. Once she was settled in, Cindy returned with Tess, and then it was the Duke's turn as he insisted on giving her the free tour of the house, complete with its storied traditions. The tour concluded in the kitchen where the delicious aroma of tonight’s dinner had Cindy licking her lips hungrily.

Tess and her mother were hard at work preparing the Danish delicacies that Cindy had heard about so often. When they saw Cindy, they told her she could take a short nap if she'd like to rest before dinner, but Lynx's love would have none of it. If she was really going to be family, then she wanted to pitch in and help out like any other daughter would. When she washed her hands and asked how she could help, both Tess and Caroline grinned as they officially welcomed Cindy into the kitchen.

Cindy washed and cut a few vegetables, but primarily she shadowed Caroline, desperately trying to learn how to prepare those dishes which were Lynx's favorite. The older woman was touched and impressed by Cindy's efforts to please her husband to be.

Once, when she noticed that Cindy seemed to be slightly overwhelmed, she reached out and took her hand. "Cindy, you needn't worry about trying to learn all this now. Lynx will love whatever you serve him, because it's a gift from you."

Winking, she added, "And if all else fails, you can always charm him into taking you out for dinner, at least until you get the hang of it."

Cindy hugged her new mother and Tess quickly joined them to make it an official "hug fest". Tears of joy threatened in Cindy's eyes as she was overwhelmed by the wonderful welcome she was being given. She knew the visit would be all too short, and the serious details of their upcoming nuptials had yet to be discussed, but as she peered over Caroline’s shoulder, noting her directions for making the soup, she couldn't help but feel she was already home.

Dinner tasted as wonderful as the smells that had drawn her to the kitchen, and it was all the better for Cindy as her hand occasionally found its way over to Lynx's, which netted her his loving touch and gentle smile.

Cindy offered to help clear the table and do dishes but Caroline insisted Cindy was off duty, for at least this evening, as the evening was far too beautiful for them to spend it scrubbing pots. Both Lynx and Cindy caught the old romantics hint and did not disappoint her as they left the room arm in arm for a stroll through the grounds.

Lynx took his lady down to the dock to watch their beloved ocean and to share kisses and thoughts in the moonlight. Lynx told Cindy she was doing very well with his parents, and she countered by saying they were doing even better by her. She loved his family and would love to be a part of it. Lynx winked, “You already are.” he informed her. The rest of the evening was spent cuddling quietly; save for the few tales of Lynx's childhood sailing adventures that Cindy was able to wheedle out of him.

When they returned, only Tess was waiting for them. Making some quip about how absence makes the heart grow fonder, she spirited Cindy away to be her slumber party roommate for the night. The girls were up late chatting away. Tess further supported her brother's claims by saying Cindy was really getting along well with her parents and for her not to be afraid if her mother asked her to take a walk with her in the garden.

Weather permitting, of course; it had always been her favorite place to go when she wanted to talk to either Lynx or Tess . Then the conversation turned to wedding plans, sites to see, wondering how Jenna was faring, and a few “boy conquest” tales from Tess’ teen years that kept the girls up giggling until the wee hours of the morning. Finally, sleep claimed the pair and they spent what was left of the night spooning, and dreaming of sharing themselves and their beds with their own Prince Charmings.

The next morning Cindy came down for breakfast and noted that her love had been up before her, as today’s red rose lay waiting for her at table. Once everyone was down and breakfast was finally served it was as wonderful as the dinner the night before.

Shortly afterwards, Tess' prediction came true as Caroline asked if Cindy might walk with her so she could have a proper tour of grounds and her precious garden. Lynx gave her an encouraging nod and told her to take her time, as he needed to take care of a little business in town with his father. Tess' said she'd hitch a ride with the two handsome men, as she needed a few things in town herself.

Cindy walked and listened as Caroline pointed out many of her favorite flowers, often sharing stories about the meaning behind each one, some of them personal, especially the pink roses as they were the first flower her own beloved had ever given her. Cindy felt tears welling again, realizing that she had become part of a family tradition.

The older woman, sensing Cindy's emotions directed her to a bench and then took her hand gently as they sat down. She stared quietly into Cindy's green eyes, as if reading her very soul. Cindy knew Lynx had been right in what he’d said about his mother having a strong gift. She couldn't lie or hold back from this woman, but she had no reason to. She loved Lynx and that was pure honesty.

Caroline smiled and then patted Cindy's hand. "I know you are frightened, and with good reason. Marriage is the ultimate commitment, a promise to each other and a proclamation to the world that you have given yourselves completely to each other for as long as you both shall live. Yes, that’s a very scary thing, isn’t it?”

Cindy nodded. Caroline leaned forward, lowering her voice to almost a whisper. “You know, I was positively petrified when I accepted Christian’s proposal and we didn't have half the obstacles that you and Lynx face. I loved him and he loved me and that we knew, but I let everything else get in the way. I worried that his love for me might fade as my beauty faded with the passage of time. I worried that I couldn't be enough woman for him, in ALL ways."

Her emphasis on the word "All" told Cindy that Lynx's mother had also been a virgin prior to marriage.

"Despite the fact that both our families came from royal houses, and that I had been born and bred to assume the title of Duchess one day, I still worried about fitting into his life, and his family. I couldn't bear the thought of my presence somehow taking away or tarnishing the things he loved most. And, as crazy as it seems now, I even wondered if it was possible that there was another man out there I could love more? I was very naíve and inexperienced. I had never been close to any man before I met Christian. How could I really be sure what true love was? I couldn't imagine waking up one morning and not feeling love for him or not seeing it returned in his eyes. Between you and me, I almost called the whole thing off, two days before the wedding."

Cindy's eyes went wide as she was hanging on every word. "But ... but something changed your mind, right?"

The still-beautiful blonde smiled and nodded. "Yes, but more accurately someone. I went to my mother and told her I had second thoughts and we sat in a place very much like this one. She listened for hours as I cried and poured out all my fears and worries. When I was spent, she told me she too had felt those feelings prior to her wedding, and so had probably ever other woman who’d ever walked down the aisle. It was then she told me something that I hope will help you, and will help Tess one day when she and I have this same talk. She told me to try and set all my fears and worries aside until I was standing beside Christian at the altar. When I looked up into his eyes, she was sure all my questions and concerns and fears would find their answers there. At least all of hers did when she looked up into my father’s eyes.”

Cindy smiled and anxiously pushed the storyteller on, “So were you able to follow your mother’s advice? Did you maintain your sanity all the way through to the wedding march? And … and did you see in Christian’s eyes what your mother saw in your father’s eyes? Were all your questions and worries magically answered?”

Caroline smiled lovingly at the excited little girl, where a young woman had sat only moments ago. Her mind drifted back to her wedding day and all the magic and love she still felt whenever she looked at her soul mate. "Yes, my dear ... all my questions were answered by looking into his eyes and knowing one thing. He loved me as I loved him. That's when I realized that nothing else really mattered, not our royal heritage, or our responsibilities, or my inexperience, or my shortcomings or what the world thought, or for that matter, what tomorrow held, because whatever would come, we would face it together.

“I knew when I saw the love he felt for me in his eyes, that my presence could never take away from his life, anymore than his could have mine. In fact, without him I had been incomplete, more incomplete than I had known possible. And then … I just well, I just wasn't so scared anymore. I guess you might say the only thought that scared me then, was the thought of not being by his side, and for twenty five years any time I have ever felt scared about anything I look into those eyes of his and it's the same as it was the day we married."

Tears misted in both women's eyes and Cindy hugged her new mother tightly. They held each other and the moment until Cindy finally was able to speak. "Thank you ... thank you so much for sharing that with me. I love your son with all my heart, and I know he loves me, but I have been afraid because it is well,… complicated. You already know about my past, as does just about everyone else in the free world. And because of my defect, there are things I will never be able to give him, or you and Christian, for that matter, and it breaks my heart when I think of that. You see, I have to be woman enough for him, just like you did his father, because Lynx deserves to have everything he could ever want in a soul mate."

Tears rolled down Cindy's cheeks and the expert mother gathered her new daughter in for a cuddle. "Child ... you are everything to him. You are his soul mate, as I am his father's. Trust me on this. I believe you are more than woman enough, and more importantly, I’m sure my son feels the same way. Now I know this is true even if you doubt it, but there will be no doubt when you look into his eyes at the altar. I heard it in his words the first time he told us of you over the phone and then, when I saw it in his eyes the next time he came home, I knew you were the one."

"Really?" sniffled Cindy as she smiled hopefully.

"Yes, neither Tess nor Lynx could ever hide anything from me once I looked into their eyes. Only two things ever brought out the deepest blue in Lynx's eyes before you came along and those were his ocean and his music. He's loved them both dearly since he was a small child, but he'd give them up freely just to be with you, and I venture to say you feel the same way concerning your tennis dreams and anything else you possess."

Cindy nodded realizing Caroline could read her as well as she could her own children. She felt as though this incredibly understanding woman was lifting the weight of the world off her shoulders. She had been so worried she wouldn’t be able to make her understand how much she loved Lynx and he loved her, yet it was obvious she knew it, and believed in it as much as they did.

The older woman patted Cindy’s hand lovingly. “Marriage isn’t easy for any couple, regardless of how much in love they are. Over the course of your lifetime, you will face so many challenges and sadly nature has given you a cross no woman should have to bear, but as long as you and Lynx face everything together you will come through it. I promise you that these words are true, but should you ever doubt them or should you and Lynx face an obstacle that the two of you can’t overcome, then come home. Whatever it is, we’ll face it together as a family.”

Cindy barely managed a “thank you” before laying her head gently on her new mother’s shoulder. Caroline placed an arm around her and sniffled back her own tears.

Finally, she smiled and lightened the mood. “Well now, the dreaded “talk” is out of the way. What say we get down to the good stuff? I think this is the part where you tell me a little more about yourself and the wedding plans, while I tell you embarrassingly cute stories about Lynx as a child and show you a picture of him as a baby, naked on a bearskin rug.”

Cindy laughed and nodded as the two women continued their tour of the garden, each much more at ease then when they had started it. When Lynx, Tess and Christian returned they entered the house to the sounds of laughter coming from the parlor. When they traced it to its source, they found Cindy and Caroline going through photo albums, obviously enjoying themselves.

Tess quickly joined them to make a trio of giggling gals. Against his father’s advice, Lynx went over to see what was so funny and found out he was the butt of the joke literally, as he saw a picture of himself as a toddler, with his nappy flying at half mast.

Lynx groaned and offered Cindy his hand. She took it willingly as he lifted her from her seat. “I hate to break up Denmark’s version of Candid Camera, but Jenna and Rich are out waiting in the car and we thought we might give you two girls a tour.”

Caroline winked at Cindy; her silent communiqué that the photos would be available for a later showing. Cindy motioned for Tess to join them on the journey, but she declined, saying she was heading to the kitchen to add another chapter to the legacy of the “Muffin Maiden” and would catch up with them later.

Cindy smiled sadly at her new sister, as she couldn’t help but wonder if the true reason Tess didn’t join them was she’d grown tired of feeling like a fifth wheel. From their conversations last night, it was obvious to Cindy that Tess was still smitten with Uncle Bob. Sadly, all Cindy could do was hope that Tess would soon find an attainable Prince Charming of her own.

The lovebirds finally left hand-in-hand and joined Rich and Jenna in the car. Christian reached out and took Caroline’s hand as they watched the young lovers drive off. Smiling up at her beloved, she asked, “Feel like a walk in the garden?”

Her tall and still very handsome husband answered her with a kiss and an open arm, both which she took willingly.

The “Fab Four” spent a good portion of the day exploring the nearby woods and coastal areas. Jenna and Cindy had wished they’d worn hiking boots, as they did a bit of climbing, but the breathtaking views they saw from atop their climbs was well worth the sore feet they had from their efforts.

The girls also got to tour a few of the shops in the smaller villages outside Oldenburg. Lynx and the Kool Kats were known world over, but no place were they better known or more loved than their own home country. Of course traveling about Copenhagen or one of the bigger cities would often turn into they typical fan frenzy, fortunately Denmark has lots of smaller towns where they could pretty much just move about freely and without notice.

For the quiet Lynx, it was wonderful just being able to walk down the street with Cindy on his arm and not be blinded by camera flashes or have pens and paper pushed in his face. Cindy also loved this “quiet” time as much as he did. It was really the first time outside her godfather’s beach house she really felt relaxed.

When the boys slipped away to get the girls a soda, Jenna and Cindy quickly compared notes on their visit. Rich’s parents had been every bit as warm and welcoming to Jenna as Lynx’s had been to Cindy. Jenna had smiled when Rich’s parents had brought up Lynx and Cindy’s engagement and threw not so subtle hints about when they might be expecting to hear similar news from them. Jenna confided in Cindy that she was hoping they wouldn’t have to wait long.

When the boys returned shortly with sodas in hand, they saw the sly smiles the girls were giving them. Lynx started to ask what was up, but Rich quickly waved him off, “I have a feeling this is one of those times we’ll both be better off not knowing.”

The girls winked at each other before walking back to the car with their handsome guides and continuing the tour. When Cindy spotted a side road that in her opinion looked “neat” to explore, Rich winked at Lynx and quickly swerved the jeep onto it, nearly putting the girls on the floorboard. Little did the foursome know that this seemingly insignificant winding road into heavy woods would lead Lynx and Cindy to one of the most significant places in their life.

The road went on for about three miles without distinction before both it and the woods gave way to a small clearing. There, nestled within, was a beautiful church. Rich and Lynx confessed that in all their boyhood years of exploring, they’d never been down this road, but Lynx said the church seemed vaguely familiar. One thing for sure was this house of God was definitely an old one. The exterior was a tribute to the golden days of fine architecture and stood tall and proud with a steeple that seemed to reach for the heavens and beautiful stained-glass windows that sparkled in the late afternoon light.

When Cindy saw the church, her eyes lit up and she ran straight for it. Jenna was right behind her as the boys dawdled along in the rear. Cindy stood on the huge stone steps, shaking her head in disbelief at this breathtaking beauty hid deep within the forest. Hoping against hope, she pulled at the door, and much to her surprise and delight, it gave. With Jenna by her side, they quietly poked their cute noses in; not wishing to intrude should there be a service and were relieved to find that church was not in session.

By the time they boys had caught up with them, the two girls were standing in awe of the churches interior. It was as breathtakingly beautiful as the outside was. The ceiling had been painted to create something reminiscent of Michelangelo’s Sistine chapel. There were beautiful handcrafted carvings and statues that had to be hundreds of years old. To Cindy, the place felt warm and full of love. It truly seemed fitting of the title, “God’s House”. Regardless of their personal religious beliefs, all four knelt briefly and paid homage to the deity that called this house home.

When they walked out Cindy stopped on the steps and took another long loving gaze before turning to Lynx with love-filled pleading eyes.

“Lynx, you're gonna think I'm crazy but if we can do it, I want to get married here, and I want to do it before our holiday ends. I know how hard everyone's worked to set up things back home, and I know we still haven't sorted out all the legal problems, but after seeing this place, I can’t imagine anywhere more beautiful to be married than here. I know we've made some wonderful memories at my "home court" in California, but this is your place, your world and I want it to share it with you. I can't think of a better way to do that then to get married right here. I know this is so sudden and so crazy and just well … so … so … fairy tale romantic, but I think don’t think we found this place by accident. Somehow, I just know this is the place and the time. 0h please, Lynx, say yes, because I … I really don't want to leave Denmark without being your wife."

Lynx could hardly believe her words. He knew Cindy had been planning a huge wedding in Los Angeles for nearly a year, and suddenly she wanted to chuck it all to have a wedding in Denmark at a small country church that they didn’t even know the name of. He had known his beloved for over year and in all that time she never had gone after anything on impulse, save maybe for him, but this was different.

Lynx himself had not been immune to the charms of this beautiful old church, but even if he had, the look in Cindy’s eyes would have been enough for him. He would gladly proclaim his love for her anywhere she wanted, anytime she wanted, and if this place be her heart’s desire then that’s all that mattered to him. Her so desperately wanting to be as much a part of his world, as he'd tried to be of hers, touched him deeply. Her final words complimented his own thoughts, because truth be known, he was as ready to be her husband as she was his wife.

Lynx took a deep sigh and then looked up at the church. He smiled softly when he realized why it seemed vaguely familiar. It was very much like the church he had imagined when he was doing his psychic routine that day on the beach with Cindy. He was almost tempted to think that perhaps a bit of his mother and sister’s powers had rubbed off on him.

Returning his attentions to Cindy, he started to give her the answer her eyes were begging for when a flash of red caught his eye. There by the side of the building was the final sign their destiny lay in this place, a small wild rose bush. Taking her hand without a word, he led her toward it and then plucking a bloom from the bush, he gave his beloved a rare treat: a second rose in the same day. If there had been any doubt before, there was absolutely none for either of them now.

Lynx smiled at his beloved and quoted the words Cindy never grew tired of hearing. “For each day that the love and magic last I will give you a rose.”

Cindy cherished this rose as she did all the others and then Lynx finally found the words to make her wish come true. “Cindy, I would marry you any place and any time you would have me, and if this be your heart’s desire, then it’s mine too.”

Lynx very poetic and love-filled “yes,” got him tackled and showered with kisses for his efforts. After a little fun and frolic in the grass, the foursome headed back toward the car. Rich and Lynx were quiet on the way back home, but there was no loss of conversation as Jenna and Cindy were chattering about wedding plans the entire time.

When they returned to the estate they immediately broke the news to Lynx’s parents and Tess, who were as thrilled as they were and as surprised as Lynx had been. Lynx’s father was able to shed a little more light on the church that had captured Cindy’s heart, as he knew it well. It was an old Roman Catholic church over five hundred years old, and still held regular services. It had a long and storied tradition and as he filled the kids in on it, Cindy imagined herself standing across from Lynx at the altar and as she looked through her veil and into his eyes, she had no doubt, she had no fear.

Once the hugs, happy tears and congratulations were finished, the seemingly impossible task of trying to make Cindy and Lynx's wish come true started. Lynx and the Kool Kats next album to be released would be Wembley LIVE which wouldn't be due out for a few months, but they had a concert date in Copenhagen two weeks from today, and from there the band was off to Japan to kick off their Far East Tour. Cindy as well, had her professional tennis debut to prepare for. Not only did she have to make the official announcement and become sanctioned, but also she had some serious practicing to do if she wanted to play in the next major tournament.

The French Open was less than a month away, and save for Wimbledon or the U.S. Open, she couldn't think of a better place to begin her pro career. With both of their calendars about to become very full, it meant our young lovers had less than two weeks to accomplish “married mission impossible”. Cindy's first call was to her parents, but it was far from her last, as preparations for the wedding would set switchboards lighting up world-wide, and both families scrambling.

Of course the best laid plans of men, mice, and wedding planners mean nothing if the couple can't get legally married and Lynx and Cindy had some very justifiable concerns about whether Danish law would recognize Cindy as a woman and allow her to marry a man. Yes, they could probably have the religious ceremony but both really wanted their union to be recognized in the eyes of God AND government.

For once, royalty truly had its privileges as the Duke and the Duchess went to work immediately. Christian went to the men who held the high seats in council to gain their support should there be a legal problem, while the Duchess went to the real source of power in the government; the wives of the men who held those seats and asked for their support. Three days later, Lynx and Cindy were told that the sovereign state of Denmark would be honored to bless their union.

With legalities settled, it left only getting everyone and everything together on short notice and trying to have the wedding without a fanfare the size of Charles and Lady Diana. Cindy's parents had already taken two pretty good shocks in less than a week. Cindy had called to let them know she was turning pro and then two days later their other daughter Ally called, gushing about a handsome man named Andy she'd met and how she was going to stay a little longer in London to get to know him better.

When Cindy called and said she was getting married in Denmark, tears of joy fell from Kim's eyes and Bill shook his head and said, "They always say it comes in three's." Bob was happy for both Lynx and Cindy as he'd been around them more than Cindy's parents and had often wondered how they had managed to wait this long without running off to elope.

When Cindy called Ally and told her she was going to be a maid of honor in less than two weeks, she squealed happily and then asked if she thought Lynx might be able to use another groomsman so she could walk down the aisle with Andy. Cindy giggled, “Of course,” and then asked her if this was just practice for getting Andy to rendezvous with her at the aisle a little later. Ally giggled back, “My little sister knows me too well.”

Jenna loved the little church and she was so happy that Cindy and Lynx were going to be married there, but like Ally, she hoped that a practice run down the aisle with Rich might led to a wedding of her own soon.

Tess had been so happy for her brother and for the woman who had become her sister, long before it was legally recognized, but she also had designs on following in the footsteps of the other ladies in the wedding party. No one was happier to know that Bob would be coming to the wedding than Tess. Lynx had already planned to ask the kind gentleman who had opened his heart and home to him, to stand with him when he married Cindy. There was no doubt in Tess' mind which groomsman would be escorting her when she was a bridesmaid. She smiled hungrily in anticipation of another chance to catch her elusive prey.

Shelly shared everyone's happiness when she got the news, but shared everyone's concern about the time constraints and trying to keep this from being the media event of the year. When she got off the phone with Lynx and Cindy, the "Evil Witch" got right back on, and immediately started working on the best publicity smoke screen she could conjure up.

Back in Oldenburg, the church was secured for the wedding and then hurried arrangements were made, all via cloak and dagger to keep the local press from catching wind. Obviously, the smaller the guest list, the better the chance they would be able to keep it from turning into the World Football Championships, so it was a family and few close friends affair, which suited Lynx and Cindy just fine. As long as the most important people in their lives could be there, they were happy.

One week after Cindy had first seen the church; nearly everything had fallen into place to make her dream a reality. The marriage license had been handled rather discreetly with a couple of government clerks getting front row seats to the next Lynx and the Kool Kat's concert for their cooperative silence. Lynx's mother insisted on making the wedding cake herself, both from wanting to give the couple a special gift, and to help keep the secret hidden. Jenna and Tess said they would pitch in with the rest of the food and decorations so as to keep that all in the family so to speak.

Cindy's wedding gown and the bridesmaid's dresses would also be ready in time, courtesy of Cindy's mother. She had insisted on all the girl's being fitted the last time they were all together at Bob's beach house and the lovely gowns needed only a few final alterations to be complete. Fortunately, Kim was quite the seamstress and was confident she could make whatever minor changes might be needed once she got there.

Janet, Shelly's sister, the fashion coordinator for the band, was honored to be invited as well, and as part of her wedding gift would bring along Angel, her friend and photographer extraordinaire to shoot the wedding photos.

Cindy, who had so often cursed the God's for her birth defect, felt as though they were trying to make it all up to her now, as everything was coming together as if it were a product of divine intervention. Now, three days before the wedding, only one obstacle remained: getting everyone here without bringing in half the outside world.
 


 
Chapter Eleven
The Wedding
 
Shelly who seemed to have an unending supply of magic at her fingertips conjured up perhaps her best spell as she pulled off a disappearing act worthy of Houdini himself. Like all good magicians, she knew the importance of getting the audience to watch the left hand, so they won’t realize what the right hand is doing. While Shelly's left hand "leaked" false information to several of the major news sources, notably Liberated Woman magazine and the infamous Abby Phillips, that Lynx and Cindy were flying to Madrid for a secret wedding ceremony, her right hand was cluing the wedding party in on her brilliantly planned misdirection.

Cindy's parent's and Bob flew from L.A. to New York to meet Shelly and Janet. By the time they had arrived at JFK to change planes, Shelly's rumor had already taken wind and the airport was abuzz with reporters trying to get the scoop on the second “wedding of the century”. Shelly made her self very visible, neither confirming nor denying the rumors she herself had set in motion but cryptically remarking that there would be magic made in Madrid.

In Denmark, Lynx, Cindy and the rest of the gang took a private jet to Copenhagen where it had also been conveniently leaked that they were flying to Madrid via London, obviously to pick up Ally, Andy and his sisters. The rest of the news services, who had been reluctant to buy into the secret wedding ceremony theory, bought in now, sending their best to Madrid.

Timing was everything on this one and Shelly had it all down to the last second. The planes arrived in Madrid within twenty minutes of each other, and the airport was swelled with fans and media waiting to get a glimpse of "Rock’s Royal Family". They were not disappointed as Shelly paraded the passengers of both planes in full view as she led them into the customs area.

It was there the true magic took place. Waiting within were doubles ready to stand in for each of the wedding party. After a quick change of clothes the doubles were ready for the next move and the real wedding party looked as though they were ready to move some luggage, as they had been neatly disguised as baggage handlers. That was where Shelly performed her final trick, as she sent a ringer over to the Liberated Woman camp who conveniently leaked that the real wedding was going to be held in a remote location in India, and the entire Madrid scenario had just been an elaborate ruse to set to put the public off the trail.

Abby Phillips took the bait, hook, byline and sinker, knowing a move like that was trademark Shelly. To seal the deal, Shelly then led the group of doppelgangers out a fire exit area and onto a private jet bound for a secret location in India. Shelly made sure no one got more than a glance at the phony royal family, but she did linger around long enough to be sure Abby saw her lovely rainbow locks float into the plane as the door shut behind her.

Moments after Shelly and friends were headed for India, word on the "switch" spread throughout the airport, courtesy of Liberated Woman and reporters were scrambling for aircraft to follow with Abby leading the way. Two hours later, the real wedding party loaded their own luggage on a small jet bound for a private airfield outside Oldenburg and ‘Mission Married Impossible’ had become ‘Mission Married Possible’.

Everyone was totally indebted to Shelly for her efforts, but deeply saddened, as they hated to see her sacrifice herself and miss the wedding. Shelly’s last words to Cindy were, “Don't count me out until the organist plays the wedding march. If there is any way I can be there without bringing half the world with me, I will.”

The royal family was back in Oldenburg late that night, as the wedding was set for early afternoon the next day. Despite all the excitement, everyone was pretty much exhausted from the jet lag and cloak and dagger, so they headed off to bed shortly after arriving at the estate. Cindy went to bed that night both happy and a little scared, as she knew this would be her last night sleeping apart from her beloved. In a room down the hall, Lynx's thoughts and his feelings matched Cindy's.

Morning came shortly after dawn for the wedding party, and unfortunately, so did their first real disaster since putting things into motion. While shuffling people and luggage in Madrid some of the "real" royal families luggage had gotten lost, and most importantly the bag containing Cindy's wedding dress was among those missing in action.

When it came right down to it, Cindy would have married Lynx wearing her UCLA tennis uniform or as naked as Eve sans the fig leaf, but a wedding dress is a big part of the ceremony for a woman on the day she wants to look more beautiful than any other. Her dress was most likely safe; probably sitting in customs at Madrid or with Shelly in India, but there was no way it would be returned to her in time. Tears fell from the eyes of the young bride, who like all other bride's simply wanted everything to be perfect if only for this one moment in her life.

It was then that Caroline came to the rescue, and along with the aid of Kim and Janet, plus a loving gesture by Tess; saved the day for Cindy. Ally, Jenna and Cindy were going through what clothes they had with them to find the best possible replacement for Cindy’s gown when Caroline walked in carrying a long gray garment bag. Walking over to Cindy she handed it to the surprised young woman, “It’s yours for the ceremony if you will have it.”

Cindy opened the bag and gasped, as did nearly all the other women in the room, at the absolutely beautiful wedding gown Cindy was holding. She looked pleadingly at Caroline, who smiled and told her that this gown had been worn by four generations of brides, including her. She had hoped Tess would be wearing it next, but she would be honored if Cindy would wear it today.

Cindy looked at Tess, wondering if she might be hurt by another woman wearing the gown before her, but all she saw in Tess' beautiful eyes was love for her new sister and wishes for her happiness. Cindy was barely able to say thank you to them both before tears claimed her and she hugged them tightly.

Cindy tried on the dress and it was a near perfect fit, but a few alterations were in order and they had but precious few hours to make them. Kim and Janet lent a hand and two needles to help. Janet the fashion designer had been an adept seamstress from the days when she was a struggling designer making her own clothes and desperately trying to market them in New York.

She winked at Cindy and quipped in her best southern accent. "Why, don't you worry 'bout nuttin, Miss Cindy. If Scarlet O'Hara can make a gown out of draperies to impress Rhett Butler, I think me and your momma can have your wedding dress fitting so fine that ol' Lynx's passion will be a’burning like Sherman burned Atlanta, and if anybody thinks we can't do it, well ... frankly, my dear I don't give a damn!"

The room howled with laughter before becoming a flurry of activity, for everyone had a role to play if they were to get Cindy to the church on time. The men, as they do in most all weddings, had little else to do but complain about how uncomfortable their tuxes were and good naturedly rib the groom. Lynx took the gentle teasing in the spirit it was intended, but when he got the chance, he quietly slipped away to his favorite "thinking" place as a boy.

When it came time for the men to load up and head for the church, Christian knew exactly where to find his son. He heard the soft sweet sounds of Lynx's guitar long before he reached the dock. Lynx was just finishing the last few chords of The Rose when his father laid a gentle hand on his shoulder and asked him if he was ready to go.

Lynx smiled up at the man who had been friend and father to him. Standing up to face him, there was a slight hint of pre-wedding jitters evident on his face, but he forced a weak smile for his father. Christian put an arm around his son, noticing his anxiety, then offered a little friendly fatherly wisdom, even though it was unsolicited.

"Lynx, Cindy is a wonderful woman and I know you both love each other very much, but every man gets "butterflies wearing combat boots" in his stomach on his wedding day."

Lynx smiled, nodding, glad his father had said what he couldn't find the words to say for himself. He sighed and looked his father square in the eyes.
"I was out here playing "our song". You know ... The Rose and there’s this one particular line; ‘It's the soul afraid of dying that never learns to live.’ Dad, Cindy's just so incredible. She's the bravest person I've ever known. She's had to face so much, just to have the right to LIVE as a woman. I ... I don't think there is anyone who is more deserving of being happy and loved than she is, and I love her with all that I am, but ... what if that's not enough? I can't fail her, dad. I just can't."

His father sighed as his thoughts turned to earlier times his son had sought his wisdom and reassurances, but this time it was for something far more serious than a sailing lesson or a broken guitar string. He liked to think he'd never failed his son before, and as he spoke, he prayed this time would be no different.

"Lynx, Cindy is a wonderful woman and both your mother and I have so much respect for her and what she's been through, but we also have great pride and respect for the man you've become. Both of you are deserving of all the happiness life has to give, and I know you are the man to see she finds it, just as she is the woman to help you find it. As for somehow failing her, well ... I had those very same fears before I married your mother. I think most all men do. You worry about how you can be worthy of the most beautiful girl in the whole world."

Lynx nodded knowingly, for it was as if his father was reading his very thoughts.

The older man looked for just the right words to help ease his son's fears and found them in an old and treasured memory. "Lynx, I felt the same way about your mother as you do Cindy. I was standing up at that altar waiting for her and wondering how in the world I could possibly give your mother everything she deserves. I had money, station, and power. I could nearly offer her a princess's dream, but I was petrified that it still wasn't enough, and then ... the wedding march started and I turned just as the rest of the church did, to watch her walk down the aisle. As she came toward me on her father’s arm, she was bathed in candlelight, looking more beautiful than I thought any woman could. Then she was at my side and when I looked into her eyes, I felt such a powerful love for her that it just consumed me. That was when I realized that no man on this earth could love her as I did, and no man needed to protect her and make her happy more than I did. I simply loved her too much for failure to be an option. I had to be everything she would ever want or need, and then … well, I just really wasn't afraid anymore. Somehow I knew it would be alright, and since that day if I have ever doubted my ability to love her enough or make her happy, I just look at those beautiful eyes of hers and when she smiles at me, the fear, along with my doubts, are gone."

Lynx smiled at the man he'd loved and admired all his life. He'd always felt he'd been lucky to grow up with the privilege of wealth and status, but he'd have been proud to be a penniless peasant as long as he had this man for a father. Lynx managed a "Thanks Dad", as he hugged his father tightly. The older lion smiled lovingly; glad he still could still be there when his son needed him most.

The pair made their way up to the house where the rest of the guys were waiting for them. Rich gently teased Lynx, saying he thought maybe he got scared and was sailing half way to Iceland by now.

Lynx laughed. "Scared? Who me?"

That remark drew laughs from everyone, especially Lynx and Christian. Ten minutes later, a van full of extremely well dressed men was on its way to the church for a wedding.

Inside the house, Kim and Janet were finishing the last alterations on Cindy's dress, and Ally was fussing at Cindy, telling her baby sister to sit still or she'd end up with eyeliner in her ears. Cindy gave Ally her best little girl pout, which made her big sister roll her eyes and set them both to laughing. Downstairs, Tess, Jenna and Caroline had everything ready for the reception and the house was filled with the aroma of delicious Danish delicacies.

Thirty minutes later, everyone had gathered in Tess and Cindy's bedroom to catch a sneak peek of the bride in her gown. Cindy nervously stepped out of the bathroom with her mother and Janet behind her.

She looked out over her audience and smiled nervously, “Well, ... what do you think? Is it me?"

The smiles, sighs and tears of joy that greeted her answered better than any words could. Tears threatened at Cindy's eyes, but Ally chased them away by playfully teasing her that if she starts crying before she says I do, her eyeliner will run and Lynx is going to think he's marrying a raccoon. Cindy smiled away the tears that had started to well and then settled for warm hugs and glowing compliments. Shortly thereafter, the lovely ladies loaded themselves into a van, following the men who had left an hour earlier.

By two o'clock no unwanted guests had arrived and everyone was there save for Shelly. All were saddened that she hadn't been able to find her way there, as it had been her efforts, more than anyone else's that had kept the most important event in Cindy and Lynx's life from turning into a media circus. Cindy was thinking about her missing bridesmaid while she was posing for the last few pre-wedding shots when suddenly she and most everyone else in the church heard a strange sound coming from outside. Cindy's heart sank, as her first thought was the most obvious one; the media had figured them out and were outside massing for attack.

Tess was the first to get to the window, and when she saw the source of the commotion, she laughed. "Oh … my … God … I don't believe it."

The rest of the women crowded around the windows, while the men and several of the guests began filing out of the church. Everyone's attention was drawn upwards as a helicopter began slowly descending into the clearing by the church. Even from 300 feet above, Shelly's shimmering rainbow locks were unmistakable as she leaned over and waved to the onlookers below.

Lynx shook his head and chuckled, as he noted that Shelly hadn't just arrived on any air transport, but somehow she'd managed to commandeer a ride from the Danish Royal Air Force. He was tempted to ask her how she’d managed that one, but he was afraid she might actually tell him, so he decided to just greet her with a hug and tell her how happy she was that she could "drop" in.

Nearly everyone in attendance greeted Shelly outside the church, save for Cindy, who was in gown, and in accordance with tradition, couldn't risk being seen by Lynx.

When Shelly walked into to meet Cindy she greeted her with a smile and hug, saying, "Never underestimate the power of a good Jewish girl. I told you I'd make it before the music started."

Shelly had known she was going to be cutting it close so she was already "in gown," ready to assume her place as a bridesmaid. She also came bearing gifts, as she was carrying a small suitcase with her.

"Somehow, with all that luggage shuffling in Madrid, I ended up with one of your suitcases. A pretty important one, I think. It's got your wedding dress in it. I thought you might need it.” She smiled as she handed the missing luggage to Cindy.

Cindy thanked Shelly for getting both herself and the dress there in time for the wedding, and then glanced lovingly over at Lynx's mother before turning back to Shelly.

"I appreciate you bringing my dress, but I can't imagine a more beautiful, special dress to get married in than the one I'm wearing now."

Not a dissenting vote was cast by anyone as the service finally began. Only one change had been made since the rehearsal, as Andy took Rich's place directly next to Lynx so they could properly pair the bridesmaids with the groomsmen. Rich didn't mind stepping down in wedding rank as the lower rank did have its privileges, namely a beautiful young woman named Jenna.

As Lynx stood at the altar, watching each of the beautiful bridesmaids come down the aisle, he was thinking about his father's words. They had offered him comfort then, but as he awaited Cindy's emergence his fears threatened to return again.

And then SHE appeared! Sunlight poured in through the stained glass windows and combined with the glow of the candles, basked the beautiful bride in a heavenly light. Lynx drank in the vision, and then like his father before him, all fears left him when he looked into her eyes and love and dedication for his soul mate chased them all away.

Cindy made her way slowly down the aisle, so glad she was on her father's arm, as she barely had the strength to stand, let alone walk. Bill glanced over at his daughter and his heart swelled with a father's pride. He remembered how proud he had been to hold his first-born "son" in his arms twenty years before, but now, as he walked that child down the aisle, no father could be happier or more proud of the beautiful woman his daughter had become.

When the priest asked, “Who gives this woman?” Bill proudly said, "I do," before he reluctantly left her side, whispering the only words appropriate for the moment, "I love you, darling."

Cindy smiled lovingly at her parents, then turned to once again face her beloved. Before a single vow was spoken, tradition, Lynx's tradition if not the usual time-honored one, demanded something else. Lynx presented a rose to Cindy and then uttered the same heartfelt words each rose had been delivered with. "For each day that the love and magic last, I will give you a rose."

Cindy's trembling hand took the rose from her beloved and held it with her traditional bouquet. As she gazed up at Lynx through her veil, she saw such overwhelming love for her in this beautiful man's eyes. Suddenly, just as it had happened for Lynx’s mother, all the doubts, all the pain, and all the fears just melted away as love truly conquered all.

No one raised an objection, no one lost the ring, and when Cynthia Lynn Fox and Frederick Lynx Oldenburg were prompted to say, "I do", both did so willingly. Then Lynx raised the veil and pulled Cindy into his arms for their first kiss as man and wife. Cheers, applause and happy tears filled the church as friends and family were the first to officially greet the married couple.

The happy couple got the newly traditional popcorn shower as they left the church and then everyone returned to the estate for the reception where Caroline, with Tess’s and Jenna's assistance had produced a wedding cake and banquet that any young couple would be proud to have.

It was a wonderful evening, filled with food, fun, dancing and all the traditional reception gaiety. The festive occasion was made even better when Shelly filled everyone in on what had happened after she'd led the reporters astray. She started her tale by picking up from when she’d left them at the airport in Madrid.

With news and camera crews being led by Abby Phillips hot on Shelly's tail, the PR wizard landed in New Delhi an hour before they did. At that point she hurried the doubles on to a plane bound for New Zealand, with a stop in New Delhi. Shelly had a bus gassed up and waiting for her as she ran solo from this point.

When Abby and the others arrived in New Delhi only a couple of hours behind Shelly and her crew, they found Nancy Drew clues conveniently leading them to Shelly's trail. The PR wizard led her pursuers on a merry chase through the heart of India for most of the night. Shortly before dawn, she arrived at her final destination, an open field near Daman, on the west coast of India

The workers had done a wonderful job setting up the tents and decorations and making sure the "wedding party" was in attendance. Shelly congratulated the locals for their efforts and then hopped into the helicopter she had standing by and waited for the magic moment.

She didn't have to wait long, as dawn heralded the arrival of a caravan full of hot, dusty, dirty yet determined news media led by Abby Phillips, prepared for the scoop of the century. Scoop, turned out to be an appropriate word, for when the media descended upon the heavily decorated tents they found them filled with Indian royalty, or more accurately, sacred cows, and Abby Phillips was the laughing STOCK.

Shelly sweetly savored the distant view as she did her final disappearing act, escaping unnoticed among the commotion below. She wished she could have stayed around for Abby's exclusive interviews, but she had several connections to make if she was going to be in the wedding party.

From there, she returned to New Delhi, where she had a jet standing by, and then one in Athens that got her to Copenhagen and then the final arrangements that got her to the church.
Once it had become obvious to Abby and the other reporters that they’d been had, the faux royal family and friends were treated to an all expense paid two-week holiday for their part in the elaborate ruse.

Everyone was entertained by Shelly's awesome adventure and particularly touched by the efforts she had gone through to ensure Cindy and Lynx had a press-free wedding.

The fact that Abby Phillips got cow pies in the face was sweet icing on the wedding cake, and obviously pleased Cindy, who felt the score was now settled after the sucker punch that Abby had landed on her earlier. Lynx was equally grateful for Shelly's efforts but still puzzled as to how she had enlisted the Royal Danish Air Force as a taxi service.

When he finally called her on it she smiled at him and winked. "Lynx, don't you know a magician, or an Evil Witch for that matter, never reveals her tricks?"

Lynx shook his head, bested by the lady magician and gave her a hug in surrender. Shelly accepted happily and then quipped that she might fill the ladies in on a few of the details she had omitted concerning procuring the final copter ride, but only after the "fairer sex" had left the room. Both sexes howled with laughter and toasted Shelly as wine and song flowed freely for hours.

Once it was finally time to send the newlyweds off, everyone gathered outside the estate for the final tradition. The all-important wedding bouquet toss was held in the courtyard and the single men milled around nervously, their bachelorhood at stake, while the single girls jockeyed for prime position. Cindy's powerful tennis serve unleashed a high arching toss and the ladies pounced on their ticket to holy matrimony.

When the rugby-like scrum broke up it was Ally who'd snagged the flowered prized and all eyes turned toward the tall handsome young man who had walked her down the aisle earlier that day.

Andy smiled nervously before he quipped, "How ‘bout best two out of three tosses, eh?"

That got a good laugh from everyone, and a playful pout from Ally, but the frown was quickly turned upside down when her tall blonde god pulled her into his arms for a kiss. Bill and Kim Fox smiled at each other and wondered how long it would be before they watched their other daughter head off on her honeymoon. If the passion in the kiss was any barometer, they knew they better start planning as soon as they got back to L.A. Maybe it was a good thing Cindy’s now abandoned plans were as far along as they had been.

With group festivities now behind them, Cindy and Lynx waved to everyone and then stepped into the limousine. Tess, as a special wedding gift to them both, had set up a single night honeymoon at a small-secluded cottage not far from the estate.

Lynx wanted to take Cindy on a long honeymoon cruise; just her, him and the ocean, but it would have to wait. Professional tennis was waiting for Cindy, while the city of Copenhagen waited to be skillfully rocked by Lynx and the Kool Kats. There was also the media to take into consideration. By morning it would be public knowledge they were married, and Oldenburg would be crawling with press and public, so Lynx gave his love a rain check on their long romantic cruise and for now, take what they were given; a single night.

Over the course of a year, their hearts, their souls, and their thoughts had intertwined to become one. That night the final frontier was crossed as their bodies became one in a tender and passionate dance that took them to the heights of ecstasy, and then gently left them cradled in each other's arms, basking in the afterglow of love and feeling totally complete.

The next morning came far too early for the newlyweds, but they greeted it and the future with hope and resolution because they greeted it now as man and wife.

By the time they returned to the estate the news had been made public, and a few reporters were already milling about. Shelly, the professional problem-solver as always, was ready with a brief prepared statement followed by a thirty-minute question and answer session with the newlyweds. Considering the old transsexual issues, and the cow pies that Shelly had left for the reporters she'd led astray, she expected a much more hostile crowd, but surprisingly, the reporters were in good humor over the incident and their respect for both Cindy and Lynx was reflected in the questions they asked.

The fans who eventually swelled the estate grounds were positively euphoric in their support of the newlyweds, shouting that Lynx and Cindy's wedding was ushering in a new Camelot. Cindy, figuring that there was no time like the present, officially dropped the second bombshell of the day, saying that the new "Lady Guinevere" was taking a leave from college to join the Women's Professional Tennis circuit. If all went well, she hoped to be able to play in the next scheduled tournament, the prestigious French Open.

Once again the crowd roared its approval as the press fired a fresh round of questions primarily directed at Cindy, and the gracious lady answered them with the gentleness of a smooth drop volley.

Lynx ended the conference by presenting Cindy with the day's rose, her first as his wife, and then gave her a kiss that had the flashguns working overtime again. As the press and public finally left, there was no doubt they were firmly in the couple's court.

From the day they'd met, they'd been under public scrutiny, and with Lynx's music career and Cindy's debut in professional tennis, that didn't look to be changing any time soon. Over the past year they had seen some of the best and the worst the world could throw at them, yet they had endured because of their undying love for each other and the support of their friends and family. As Copenhagen awaited Lynx and the Kool Kats next concert, and the world awaited Cindy's debut at the French Open, the newlyweds looked to their shared future with hope, promise and joy, for they were living proof that lovely, truly conquers all.


 
End of part 3 of 6 - To Be continued...

up
30 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Rose

Another SPECTACULAR from me.

I know each remaining part will be as good as the past 3. Good work on this. Being a Technical writer of Quality Control issues and such, I know what it takes to put the proper words to print. This story keeps getting better and better.

Thank you!

Steve

The Rose

The story continues! Maggie this is still going strong and I'm looking forward to the rest!
Hugs!
grover