Eve - Chapter 39

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 39
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
Previously:
 
Eve has been told she is a month into her Real Life Test and has this in writing.
 
Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 39
 
 

On Friday morning I knew I wanted to get the girls something special for their birthdays, but for Claire it had to be very special. I had some vague ideas, but decided to go for a few things that would be very personal to Claire. First however was the small matter of a physical.

We arrived at the GP surgery at nine and were shown into the examination room. Dr Kumar asked a few questions and found out I was due some exploratory surgery a few weeks hence, he also found out from me that I'd already given his staff my RLT letter, but nobody had actually told him. I finally, before we got to the nitty-gritty, let him know I wanted to go back to school real soon, hoping he had no objections.

A nurse drew some blood, lots of it. She left the room and I undressed behind a screen then came out wearing a gown. I was prodded, weighed, sized and then he put on a one-fingered glove. I did not like the experience one little bit, and I still don't know if Dr Kumar was expecting any reaction, or any other result, because he was mightily confused. A repeat examination yielded nothing new so he gave up, although he first made several lengthy notes on his PC. He told mum and I to return the following Friday and sent us away, I asked mum to drop me in town so I could do some shopping.

I first decided to surprise Claire, in fact everyone, by going to see a stylist. It was quiet so I was seen straight away. Once my wig came off they could see my original hair, which, despite regular washing, didn't behave under the wig. I was sent straight to one of the washing stations to have my own hair washed and conditioned. Back at the cutting station we agreed on a simple style and spent half an hour getting it right before the dryer was used, after dampening my hair of course. I then let them give me a manicure and a pedicure. My wig went into a borrowed carrier bag before I started my shopping expedition.

My treks around the stores eventually wore me out, so I took a break in our favourite coffee house, although it looked like I was the only customer. The usual barista was on duty and welcomed me in his own Italian style.

I ordered a Mocha for a change, it arrived pronto! I was still sipping it a few minutes later when I saw Ms Holts walk past the coffee shop, I just knew that she'd seen me, seen that I was alone and that there would be trouble. I didn't want any hassle and I didn't have a replacement phone yet, I'd forgotten to sort that out.

She pushed the door open and walked towards me, her face was red with anger. The barista stopped his cleaning and moved to intercept. She tried to move around him then kicked him, he was not impressed and knocked her legs from under her with his mop. The rest of the barista's family now started to appear at the back of the café, followed a minute later by the police. She was kept on the floor, swearing freely.

I'd lost my cool exterior and was now crying against one of the older women who'd sat next to me. I was offered a tissue and brought my head up to see a familiar face in uniform, it was the same PC who'd arrested David Stevens when he'd thought he could create artwork with his spray can on mum's car.

"Miss Jones, I believe. Can you think why this lady would want to hurt you?"

"She is David Stevens' aunt, who is now in a Young Offender's Institute. She is also the former bursar at my school and has a severe attitude problem; she spent Monday night in a cell after swearing at the magistrates."

"I heard about that, apparently she got off lightly. It might be different this time, I was nearby because there's several ASBO's in force right now so we like to keep an eye out when it's not busy."

The officer then arrested Ms Holts and hand-cuffed her to a chair, one of those which is bolted to the floor. With her tmporarily secure he looked around, there didn't appear to be any damage to the café although a rplacement mop would be needed as it had snapped. He then saw the CCTV camera that looked the length of the café to the street door, prompting a quick conversation with the barista who sent one of the family to fetch the tape. One of his daughters told me they'd seen my would-be assailant enter the café so had hit the panic button, not waiting to see what she wanted.

Another coffee was brought, my original one had gone cold.

"Would you like to ring anyone?" asked the PC. I nodded and he handed me his mobile, I rang mum and told her where I was.

Ms Holts had been taken away but the copper stayed with me until mum arrived twenty minutes later, with Mr Dixon in tow. Does that solicitor have any other clients? I went over the very short story with mum and Mr Dixon, the PC found a statement pad from somewhere and we sat to take my statement, then the barista's, then each of his family who'd been downstairs before she'd been incapacitated, face down on the floor.

A shopping trip had turned into a saga that had left me shaking so we all downed several more cups of heavy-duty caffeine before the PC left, I wasn't asked to pay for a single one. The barista was trying to work out who she was, and why she'd want to attack me. When we mentioned she was the aunt of the little toad by the name of David Stevens he instantly knew who we were talking about, the kid was barred from everywhere in town and his face was included on a poster that was in most shops.

Having said our goodbyes, mum marched me to a phone shop and bought a new mobile phone before putting me in the car and driving me home.

"Mum, it's not my fault she tried to attack me."

"I know, but I'm not sure about you going into town on your own again. Where's your wig?"

"In a bag. I'm nearly seventeen and not a little girl, I can't hide for the rest of my life. I'm not wearing that wig any more."

"You should have had a phone with you! You should have consulted me before going to the salon!"

I could see I wasn't going to win this argument with logic so I did what any self-respecting girl would do, I started crying. The one-sided discussion ceased and mum comforted me, parental manipulation at work.

I gave up trying to do any meaningful school work and spent an hour programming my new phone, I then called the mobile phone company, giving them the two IMEI numbers, my old phone number and the temporary number that came with the replacement phone. I was told the transfer could take until the following morning, and to expect lots of messages. I then wrapped my presents for the girls.

At five I went upstairs and took a shower, wearing a shower cap. I was sat on my bed, still wearing a towel, when mum found me.

"I'm sorry Eve, I shouldn't have argued like that. I keep forgetting that you're not that little girl I often dreamed of. I want to be there all the time to protect you, especially when this kind of thing happens, but I know I can't. I'm scared for you."

"Mum, I know you care, but I can't go out into the world wearing cotton-wool or bubble-wrap. Not everyone out there is out to get me, believe it or not. All this trouble has come from one family, just one family. One's in a YOI, one's under a strict curfew and the third is in a cell. It's safe out there again."

"I believe you, by the way Mr Dixon rang, she finally got the thirty days she obviously craved, the magistrates were only too pleased to see her again, there was apparently space in the afternoon's court listings. They've also issued a restraining order valid for three months."

"Oh good."

"Now, get your butt in gear, you've got to look your best for your fiancée and the guests."

I already knew what to wear as I put on some of my new black lingerie before sitting to do my make-up. Nothing too heavy, just enough to enhance my face. Finally I put on some tights and my new LBD, before taking it back off just so I could remove the price ticket that I'd forgotten about.

By six thirty I was ready and joined mum in the lounge where I found her wearing a maxi red dress with a black jacket. I suddenly realised I didn't have a jacket to cover my shoulders so went flying back upstairs to find something in my wardrobe, eventually settling on a calf length black coat, it was nearly the end of October after all. I grabbed my bag, making sure I had my bank card, then rushed back downstairs as the taxi stopped outside.

Sharon had ordered a six seater for our trip to the restaurant, I don't think anyone saw my hair when everyone piled in, Sharon and the girls were still indoors getting their shoes and bags organised as mum and I climbed into the rear seats. The ride only took ten minutes, Sharon decided she would pay. As we all made it onto the pavement Claire went to give me a kiss then shrieked.

"Eve, what have you done?"

"It was time for that hairstyle change, remember what I said last weekend?"

"But when?"

"This morning. Do you like?"

"Yes, yes, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm." The rest of the group, which by now included Jenny, Aunt Sue and two other girls, started coughing gently, Claire eventually took the hint and put me down. We were then able to move inside, where the manager led us to a large round table at the back of the restaurant that we had reserved. He took our coats and left us alone for a few minutes with the menus.

Given that Claire was distracted, Annie introduced me to Andrea and Suzie, Claire was meanwhile muzzling my neck and unable to achieve anything meaningful - it was as if someone had turbo-charged her hormones. I could see Andrea and Suzie holding hands so I just knew there wouldn't be an issue with them.

The meal itself was pretty standard fare, there was tons of wasted food as everyone always misunderstands the size of the dishes, or that you can order more as you go along. Maybe one day us Brits will understand? After the meal, which was alcohol free given the number of sub eighteen year old girls, we chatted for a while and I settled the bill. Our taxi was outside when we finally all made it to the street, nine girls all wanted to use the Ladies at the same time, who'd believe it?

We all went back to Sharon's, Aunt Sue had driven the two new girls and arrived just after us. Once inside we all started talking at once. Jenny grabbed my hand to inspect the ring on my finger, she'd been sat opposite me, between my mum and her mum, so couldn't get close enough to see. Claire's ring was next.

We then got to the present giving time. I went first, giving Claire a pamper day at health spa outside the town, a gold chain and matching earrings. Both were inset with diamonds. That earned me a big kiss and some open mouths from everyone else. For Annie it was a little more mundane, a writing set with gold plated pens. The others then took their turns, there was a mixture of gold, clothing and trinkets. some of the clothing would be going back to the shops to be exchanged, I knew Claire's tastes intimately, very intimately.

Andrea and Suzie were desperate to hear how we'd met and the rest of our life story, but before I could start to tell them anything the three adults appeared with a cake. We had to give a rendition of "Happy Birthday" but I doubt we'll get a call from Simon Cowell soon. Claire and myself were then toasted with a sparkling alcohol-free perry. It was cold and fizzy, unfortunately those were its' only attributes. None of us could manage the cake so Sharon went back to the kitchen to prepare some slices to take home. Us girls got back to the serious subject of talking.

"Where did you two first meet?"

This was one I posed to Andrea and Suzie, they'd already asked that question of me and Claire.

"I moved to the school two years ago when my folks came to town. Andrea was asked to show me around and look after me for the first week. We just clicked."

"Yeah, we became good friends first and lovers second, about six months ago. How far have you two gone, I mean ..."

Thanks Andrea, nothing like a direct question. Claire answered for me in a matter-of-fact way, as I turned shades of crimson.

"We've been sleeping together since last week, but we made a promise to abstain, how about you?"

The two girls looked at each other and it was Suzie's turn to blush. Andrea answered.

"We've had sleepovers but our folks think it's separate beds, they don't know about us."

"Oh."

By mutual concern, with the imminent return of adults, we switched the conversation topics to school stuff. Claire knew more about the sixth form than me, so took the lead. I hoped it wouldn't take me long to catch up with the gossip and the new students when I get back.

By eleven we were showing exhaustion, Aunt Sue took Andrea and Suzie home as it was on her way. Mum gave me a kiss then went home as Claire led me to her bed.

up
305 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments