I Need To Remember. Chapter 16.

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 16.    A walk on the moor; A time to give thanks

--SEPARATOR--

Later I drove Wishes to her house. Alhana wasn't home so we went up to Wishes' room and I helped her to pack a bag, one bag became two bags and so on. By the time we were finished we had four large bags packed and Wishes' wardrobe was almost empty. As we carried the bags downstairs Alhana came home. She looked at all of the bags and then looked first at Wishes then at me. I could feel Wishes trembling beside of me.

Alhana's face broke into a broad smile and she hugged us both.

"I hope you two are very happy together you were made for each other," Alhana said giving me a quick look as she said it.

"Thanks Mum." Wishes said hugging her mother tightly.

"Go on girl, you've got a life to lead, just don't totally forget your old mum."

"I won't. I'll speak to you soon ok," Wishes released her mum and turned to me. "Are you ready love?" she asked.

"Ready when you are. Thanks Alhana, thanks for everything." I said and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek.

Returning to what was now OUR home we put all of Wishes clothes away and had a quick lunch. Before we set out to walk across the moor I remembered to book us table at the Priory, a lovely old restaurant just outside of the town.

I don't know why I felt I had to take this walk, but I was drawn to the spot that had changed my life. I was glad I had Wishes warm hand in mine as I set off towards the place where I had shouted my wish in my desperation and loneliness.

We chatted the whole time we were walking, gradually getting to know each other I suppose. We picked some spring flowers as we went and soon both of us had a handful of yellow blossoms.

Eventually we reached a point on the moors that I somehow just knew was the spot where Graham had made his wish and my life had changed direction so drastically.

Kneeling down I placed both of our bunches of flowers on the ground in front of me.

"Thank you." I said softly, I knelt there for a couple of minutes giving silent thanks for the new life I had, for Wishes, well for everything really.

Standing up I took Wishes hand and pulled her to me. We kissed for a small eternity before I took my lips from hers.

"C'mon, lets go home," I said and turned us back the way we had come.

"Why?" Wishes asked a few minutes after we began walking.

"Why, why what?" I asked, I knew what she was asking but needed a minute to sort out how I was going to explain things to her, I was mindful of my promise to Alhana.

"Why were you saying thank you?"

I looked at Wishes for a long time before answering.

"Somewhere around here is where my uncle died. If I hadn't been the only living relative the solicitor could find I would never have met you. I have been so lonely for so long, now I've got you and I guess my life just feels so right now, I feel like this is who I was destined to be. If that isn't something to give thanks for I don't know what is."

"So who were you thanking then, your uncle for dying."

"No, I don't know what you would call it, some people would call it God, some The Goddess, others would call it Gaia. It doesn't really matter what label you place on it does it?"

"OK I can buy that, but why here, why not in the church in town, that's where most people would go."

"Yeah I know, but I kind of felt that if there is a God, and it doesn't matter what label you want to use. Where would you be most likely to find him or her? In a church? A cold stone building built by men to show the world how pious they were. Or out here amongst all the glory of his or her creation."

"You're getting to sound like my mum," Wishes said chuckling.

"Well she's a wise woman. Lets hurry back now, we have to get ready to go out tonight."

We talked the rest of the way home about more mundane matters, in fact we spent almost an hour arguing quite happily over what was the best combination of Pizza toppings.

up
138 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos