Rules Are Rules: 9. A Reminder About Rules

Printer-friendly version

"That's not what I meant," she countered. "I mean that you have to behave. You can't be tricky and get around the rules. Rules are rules, and if you don't watch out, they can really bite you in the butt. If you're going to be a girl and not get caught at it, you have to keep your nose clean, keep a low profile, and not draw attention to yourself. You might think that teachers and adults are old and stupid, but they ignore a lot of stuff. They let a lot slide. If you flaunt the rules, people will notice, and when they have their chance, they'll lower the boom on you. Do you get me?"

Rules Are Rules: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
9. A Reminder About Rules

 

As Alice disappeared down the hall, she called, "Be quick, because dinner's ready."

Soon I heard the clank of plates and the clink of knives and forks. Someone was setting the table.

After one last look in the mirror, I took off the Bohemian dress, and held up the white dress in front of me. I had t-shirts as long as this dress! Well, almost as long.

"Hurry up in there, Marcie!" Alice sang out.

I sighed, and stepped into it. After some struggle I got it up my body and was able to slip my arms in. Surprisingly, it wasn't hard to zip myself.

"Marcie!" Alice called again, "Dinner's on the table!"

I quickly adjusted myself and tugged the hemline down. "Brazen it out," I told myself. "Brazen it out."

The three women were already sitting at the table when I entered the room.

Denise said, "Whoa!"

Jane said, "No way. No way! You can't go anywhere dressed like that!"

"Okay, mom," Alice said. "This is just for practice. I already told her she can't wear it in public."

Jane sighed heavily and hung her head with a black look. I almost found myself apologizing, but then thought, If you want to do this, you've got to keep going. I sat at the small round table between Jane and Denise, facing Alice.

Alice lifted her glass. I looked and saw that mine was filled with water. Alice said, "I really appreciate the three of you coming tonight. I know I've been a little wild, but I didn't want to be alone... with my thoughts... and fears... tonight. Sorry, Jane. I wanted to be distracted, and I guess it's been at your expense."

Jane's mouth moved a little, but she didn't look up or say anything.

Alice went on, "I'm worried about Donny, and I don't understand what's going on. The doctors didn't really explain..."

Jane took a breath and said, "Right. That's why there are nurses. The doctors run in and run out. Most of them don't take the time to sit down with their patients, let alone their patients' families." Then she explained the difference between strokes and transient ischemic attacks, which was what Mr. Bruce had had. Her explanation was remarkably clear and easy to understand. Jane talked about how lucky Mr. Bruce had been, about it being a warning, and so on...

Alice listened closely, every so often sipping her wine. Denise surreptitiously winked at me, and then I understood. Alice was drawing Jane out, calling on her professional side. I could see Jane relaxing as she explained, and Alice kept asking questions, so Jane kept talking. Alice really wanted and needed to know — and the conversation lasted the whole dinner — but Jane needed it, too. While Alice sipped her wine, Jane gulped hers, and between the wine and the explaining, Jane warmed and grew expansive. She didn't get drunk, you understand. She just loosened up.

Denise and I kept silent. Every so often she'd smile at me. A few times she signalled me to eat slowly, take smaller bites, to keep my knees together, to sip (not gulp) my water.

Once the meal was over, Denise told me, "You better get to your homework. We'll do the cleanup." She gestured to Alice's desk in the corner of the living room. "You can work over there."

As I crossed the room, I scooped up the principal's letter to Aunt Jane, and grabbed the bag Ms. Price had given me. My only homework was some History reading. Oh, and memorizing the dress code for girls. I read it through four times.

A shirt or blouse that can be tucked in (any color). Skirts or dresses (no higher than one inch above the knee), suits, casual pants or slacks (any color). A belt must be worn with pants. Sleeveless outfits are not allowed. Solid color stockings, dress shoes or dress boots. Skirts with slits are not acceptable. Tight fitting or revealing clothing will not be permitted. Girls may wear one pair of small earrings and a watch. Makeup is not encouraged, but if worn, must be minimal.

When I finished the History reading, the women were still cleaning up. It looked like a good moment, so I took the principal's letter and a pen. My aunt was in the middle of telling something long and complicated, and she was smiling, so I slipped in next to her, smoothed the letter on the counter, and held the pen toward her. Without a thought, without missing a beat or stopping her story, she signed with a flourish and I stepped away.

Behind Jane's back, Denise pretended to be shocked. She put her mouth in an oh and shook her head. Smiling, she whispered, "You are a bold girl, Marcie! Just like your aunt."

I went back to the desk, and started packing my books into the bag. Denise followed me over.

She said, "I hope you know I'm on your side." I nodded. She went on, "I hope you'll be on my side, too."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"That was clever, the way you got your aunt to sign that note."

I smiled.

"It's good to be clever, but not too clever."

I didn't follow.

"Look," she explained. "If you're really going to do this thing, you're going to have to be good."

"Don't worry," I replied. "Everyone will think I'm a girl."

"That's not what I meant," she countered. "I mean that you have to behave. You can't be tricky and get around the rules. Rules are rules, and if you don't watch out, they can really bite you in the butt. If you're going to be a girl and not get caught at it, you have to keep your nose clean, keep a low profile, and not draw attention to yourself. You might think that teachers and adults are old and stupid, but they ignore a lot of stuff. They let a lot slide. If you flaunt the rules, people will notice, and when they have their chance, they'll lower the boom on you. Do you get me?"

"Yes, I guess I do," I replied.

"So, if you're going to be a girl, you have to be a good girl. Okay?"

"Okay," I said.

"If you're tricky or troublesome, your parents might hear about it, and the whole thing could unravel."

"Okay," I repeated.

"'Nuff said, then," she told me, and smiled and ruffled my hair. Then she grinned and said, "Okay, girlfriend, give me a hug." She gave me a big squeeze. I put my arms on her back and squeezed a little, too, until she let go and walked back to the kitchen, chuckling.

I had no idea what that was about.

As I set my bag by the front door, Denise gave Alice a hug, too. Alice gave her a look of alarm.

"Oh, no," she said. "You're not going, are you?"

"I better," Denise said. "I was sick yesterday and I ought to get home, get ready for tomorrow."

"Yeah, me too," Jane said. "I have to be at work by seven."

"Oh, oh," Alice cried. "You can't leave me. Can't you all stay here tonight?"

Jane and Denise hesitated.

"Please?" Alice begged. "The four of us can have a sleepover. You can leave for work from here. I have plenty of room. I'll make you breakfast!"

"I guess," Denise said. "I can run across the street for a shower in the morning. Okay. Yeah."

Jane's shoulders fell and she shook her head. "Sorry, Ally," she said. "I have to sleep in my own bed, especially after the all the heart spasms I've gone through tonight." She looked at me as she spoke. My eyebrows shot up and my mouth went into an oh. Jane saw this, and said, "Yes, Miss Innocent, I'm talking about you. You can stay if you want, Marcie," she laid heavy emphasis on the name, "and don't think I didn't notice that note you had me sign.

"You can have your game," she said. "But if it comes apart, don't come crying to me. Got it?"

I nodded, a little frightened, and barely managed to say, "Thanks, Aunt Jane."

At this her face softened, and she said, "Come here, you little monkey!" She wrapped me in a bone-breaking hug.

"Do you know you're my favorite aunt?" I said.

"Oh, man, what bull!" she shouted, laughing.

"No, really!" I protested.

"Okay," she said, and hugged me again. "You be good, okay? Don't be wild like these two. Or like me. Keep out of trouble."

"I will," I said.

"And if it does come apart," she said, "do come running to me, okay?"

© 2006, 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
204 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rules Rule, Okay?

This story is habit forming. I need another quick fix or do I mean another fix quick?

Have a Huggy Christmas
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

rules are rules 8

nikkiparksy's picture

I agree with Gaby.This story is addictive just wondering where it is going and if at the end there is another new girl in life.
Meaning a sex change . lol love it looking forward too the next part.

can mark be a convincing girl

i like her speach to mark. i hope she can pull it off as well as she says.