The Rose (Chapters 1-4)

Printer-friendly version

A meeting on the beach brings two people together and changes the world.
This is not your usual Maggie the Kitten story. It is an adult story, a romance, if you will.
I think you will enjoy it. Holly

The Rose (Chapters 1-4)

Written by Maggie the Kitten

Edited by Holly Hart and Shelly Shalimar

 
I wish to share a story with you. Part of it has been told in newspapers, on television, in magazines and in books. But only part of the story, and some of that was untrue or misunderstood. This is the “true story.” That’s what separates this work from most of the others you may have seen or read. Some day I hope this story will be made into a movie.

This book is the only authorized account of nearly twenty years of events in the lives of two very well known celebrities and their family and the friends they love. Trust me, if they hadn’t given their personal permission to publish this, you would not be reading it.

As to who they are, well … if you know anything about women’s tennis, rock and roll music, or even just manage to catch the evening news once in awhile, you’ll know who these celebrities are in the first few paragraphs.

Once you realize whose story you are reading, you might be tempted to put it down, saying you’ve heard this all before, but please, don’t! I can promise you have never heard the WHOLE story before. There are things in here that have never been shared before with anyone except family and their closest friends. So whether you are a fan or especially if you are a foe, please read this. It might answer some questions for you and get rid of some misconceptions you might have.

I’m sure you are wondering what famous journalist or reporter is ghost-writing this tale? Well… trust me, you’ve never seen my name on any by-line, or any bestseller list. I’m just lucky enough to have been on the inside, and with some help, hard work and permission, put this story together to share it with you.

I know I’m being evasive but if I told you my name, that would spoil the fun, at least my fun anyway, so you’ll just have to read the story and eventually, toward the end I will tell you, but no fair peeking early!

As to why I chose The Rose as my title? That’s the easiest answer of all. It’s not only the title of a wonderful song, but once you read the story you’ll understand why it couldn’t be anything else.

I give you … The Rose.


 
Prologue
 
The sounds of soft rock filled the near empty coliseum. Occasionally a lively guitar or drum solo would spice up the mix a bit to excite the "crowd". The performance was greatly appreciated by the fans, and applause and cheers from the only two guests allowed to attend, followed each set .

Lynx, long before crowned Prince Admiral Lynx by his adoring fans, was lead singer and guitarist for Lynx and the Kool Kats. The rock idol had been given such an auspicious title, in part from his royal Danish ancestry and part from his trademark admiral's hat he often wore on stage.

Lynx and the Kool Kats had entertained capacity crowds all over the world for fifteen years with their original sound that was a unique blend of classic and contemporary rock styling. Their images had graced the cover of Rolling Stone more than once and their names were spoken with a reverence previously reserved for the Beatles and the Who. At the height of their popularity, Lynx, the two "Tom Kats", and the one "Miss Kitty," Lynx's twin sister Tess, a keyboards wizard and sultry song stylist, swept across Europe like Alexander's army. They had performed for presidents, heads of state, and to sold out stadiums and arenas all over the world. However, over the last five years, the band rarely performed or recorded any more. The demand from their fans and record producers was still high if even not more so, but for most of the members the fatigue of life on the road and the pursuit of other interests had them accepting only concert dates that had special meaning for them.

The next day’s concert had a dual special meaning, one for the group as whole and a purely personal one for Lynx. The proceeds of the show would be going to several needy children’s' organizations, namely hospitals and orphanages. The pleas for help had touched every member in the band, especially Tess, who the world had grown to love not only as the talented Miss Kitty but also as the "Singing Angel". The young woman had become well known for visiting sick and needy children all over the world. Several years earlier she established the Singing Angel foundation, which provides monies and assistance to children, their families, and the organizations that help them. Most all those involved had agreed to work pro bono for the concert to be sure those in need got as much help from the proceeds as possible.

The fact that tomorrow's concert would be held at the Los Angeles Coliseum on May 23rd held very special meaning for Lynx. This would be his third appearance at the venerable stadium, but it was the first one that had changed his life and his passion forever. It wasn't the spectacular show or the incredible frenzy his music had whipped the sellout crowd into that night. It was one special lady, not even originally a fan, who truly stole the show earlier that same day, before he actually took the stage.

Now, gazing down to the front seating, he spied the woman that nearly ten years ago to the day, had joined music on the lofty pedestal in his heart. The lovely lady greeted his smile with a loving one of her own, and there, nestled in her lap was the "little lady" who four years ago, had upstaged them both, and now owned a special place in each of their hearts. The fair-skinned imp greeted her daddy with a broad smile and sparkling azure blue eyes. Mommy stroked the long, light blonde mane of her daughter and then stole a kiss, eliciting giggles, and getting a pixie kiss in return.

The pair of princesses sent a personal greeting to the handsome guitar-playing prince on center stage. his soul mate blew him a gentle kiss, the look in her eye spoke volumes about the love and passion her heart held for him. His pixie princess, a little less subtle, but nonetheless loving, smacked the biggest toddler kiss she could offer as she pulled her hand from her mouth and then blew it stage bound. The prince was humbled, and bowed to his lovely ladies before smiling and winking as he returned to his place on stage.

Cindy had been dubbed the Lovely Lady Cynthia by the press after her marriage to rock's Prince Admiral, and because of the class and dignity that graced her on stage, on court and off. Yes, she too had performed for capacity crowds, and been at the top of the charts. With one special exception, it had taken her loving but persistent husband quite some time to coax her into singing for anyone other than him and the band, but she finally acquiesced as his hypnotic dark eyes and boyish grin worked their irresistible magic.

Despite being petite in stature, the "little girl" had a powerful but still soft and soothing voice. She recorded just two songs with the band. The first one she performed only once. It was live on stage, and much to the surprise of Lynx and the fans in attendance, but it was a stadium rocking success. The second one she sang was a duet with her beloved and it became known simply as “their” song. Cindy harmonized with Lynx on that beautiful ballad at a number of concerts, and several albums. It had become a fan favorite the first time they sang it.

When it came to singing, Cindy was good, better than good, but it wasn’t her golden voice that had taken this princess center court. No, it was a powerful serve and a marvelous net game that had turned the princess into a queen, elevating her to the top of the charts, the charts being the ladies world tennis rankings.

For almost four years, she held the number one ranking in women's tennis. On court she was the consummate professional and a tireless competitor. Usually giving up size and strength to larger opponents, she defeated them with speed, precision, and endurance beyond belief. Off the court she was as gracious as she was beautiful, and the tennis world's love affair with her rivaled that of her favorite foe, Chrissy Collins.

During her reign as Queen, she won a dozen grand slam tournaments in singles, and during one incredible stretch, 109 consecutive matches in doubles. Her "crowning achievement," if you will, was retiring undefeated in five trips to Wimbledon. She stood an unbelievable 31-0 in match play after her fifth consecutive Singles Championship there.

Then, at the conclusion of her record-breaking triumph, she stunned the world with an announcement. Flanked by her husband and her personal physician, she told the world that she would be going into retirement effective immediately.

Everyone in attendance was obviously shocked and of course deeply saddened. The fans who closely followed the game had heard Cindy was having some back problems and as a result, she’d had a specialist traveling with her since shortly after the Australian Open that season. Seeing her personal physician standing next to her suggested her sore back was far worse than she'd admitted to the press, and seemed the most likely reason for her early retirement.

With tears in her eyes, Cindy thanked the Queen, then the crowd, before deferring to her prince, giving him center stage to announce why she was retiring. The handsome rock god held his beloved’s hand, as he addressed those listening, with words as powerful and true as his finest song lyrics. At the end of his speech he finally gave the world the answer they were waiting for. He proudly announced that his beloved wife was stepping down to take care of the miracle they’d been blessed with, as she was pregnant. He then handed Cindy a beautiful red rose, before turning the mike over to Cindy’s physician, who did her best to field the flurry of comments and questions that started flying.

When celebrities have children it’s always a top story in entertainment magazines, and on the softer segment of the television news. When a top player retires from the game, it’s the main story on ESPN’s Sportscenter, and the lead story on most sport pages, but when Lynx announced that Cindy would be giving birth, it became headline news in every media worldwide. It became the news story of the year, if not the decade, and stirred controversy in modern medicine, religion, and at the breakfast table in most every home.

This might seem like an awful lot of commotion over a couple having a child, even if that couple happens to be a pair of well-known celebrities. Lynx said that they’d been blessed with a miracle. If there was any word aside from love that defined not only this birth, but also Lynx and Cindy’s relationship, "miracle", might just be it. Of course to understand that, you’d have to go back to the first miracle, the one that had occurred ten years earlier. Until that day, they had been on very different paths, but fate, as it tends to do, intervened and their paths crossed, literally you might say. As a result, their personal worlds, and the world as everyone knew it, would be changed forever.

 


 
Chapter One
The Meeting
 
It was early afternoon, just hours before Lynx and the Kool Kats were to give a special, extra concert at the Los Angeles Coliseum on their first American tour.

Ignoring the advice of the band members after giving security the slip, Lynx ventured out for a little time alone. The usually laid-back Lynx was too keyed up over the concert, and if he couldn’t find a way to relax, he was going to look and feel more like 44 than 24 when he took the stage.

Borrowing a car, he set out on the road. He knew what he had to find, even if he wasn't sure where to find it. Rolling down the window, he smelled the salty bouquet he was searching for. Even at this distance he knew an ocean was nearby. It might not be off the shores of his beloved Danish home, but it was an ocean. and he knew he would find tranquility in its presence of his “Grand Lady”. He always had.

Lynx, however, wasn’t the only one searching for tranquility.

Also headed west along the Pacific Coast Highway, was a beautifully restored 1969 Mustang Mach I. Its driver, a nineteen-year-old University sophomore named Cindy was equally in need, if not more so. Some thirty minutes earlier, she had left to reach her quiet place, and like Lynx, she had always found it snuggled deeply in the embrace of the ocean. Unlike Lynx however, Los Angeles was her home court, and she knew exactly where she needed to go to commune and heal in private.

As she approached Malibu, she pulled the Mustang into a private driveway. Checking to be sure she was unobserved, she lifted the "PRIVATE NO ADMITTANCE" sign off the chain and pulled on the lock. It gave easily, as she knew from years of experience it was never locked to anyone who knew how to twist it just right. Cindy sighed as she peered through a grove of trees at a house in the distance. Her heart warmed whenever she thought of the kind and loving man who lived there. He was a friend of Cindy's parents, and her godfather. Long before Cindy became a young woman, she’d called him Uncle Bob, and she loved him like a second father.

Growing up, she had spent many days there with him, learning to play tennis, going sailing, or often just walking along the beach and talking about anything and everything. It was during one of those many long walks, when Cindy was in the midst of what she now called her "DARK TIMES" that she finally broke down and poured out her secret pain to him.

When she finished, not only did he still love her, but also he believed in her and became one of her biggest supporters. He went with her to tell her parents and even helped pay for the surgeries she needed. While she was convalescing from those surgeries, she spent quite a few days there, and he had waited on her hand and foot as if she was his own daughter.

She so wished he was home right now, as she was in desperate need of one of those walk and talks they’d shared so many times, but he was away on business, which meant the beachfront house and the ocean were hers alone. Returning to her Mustang, she slipped into the driver’s side and grabbed the shifter to put it in gear. Her hand began to shake and then the rest of her body followed. The young girl dropped her head to her chest and sobbed.

Yes, she was distraught. She always hated to lose, especially to an opponent she knew she should beat easily, but today she hadn't been on top of her game. The day had started off well enough for her. UCLA had been playing their rival USC, at home. Cindy, only a sophomore, was far and away the number one player on the Lady Bruins team. She hadn't lost a match all year and today’s game hadn't looked to tarnish her record. Entering the court she received rousing applause from her home crowd. Greeting her smiling, but clearly over matched opponent, she wished the girl well and then began warming up. It was then it started. "It," being a group of rowdy fans from USC.

Players in sports learned to deal with hostile fans. It's part of the game, and once the battle begins you simply drown them out in the heat of competition, but sometimes it gets personal, and for Cindy, today was that day.

Unbeknownst to her, a USC journalism major whose sister played on the tennis team had done some research on the UCLA girls for a pre-game article she was preparing. Using her very formidable hacker skills she dug deep into the high school records of the Bruin team members. She wasn’t sure exactly what she was looking for. At best she thought she might find some silly photos from an old yearbook, or record of some goofy stunt they’d pulled that made the high school newspaper. When she uncovered sealed records concerning Cindy's high school career she found a secret that went way beyond anything she’d dreamed of. By the time she had finished uncovering the hidden truth, the young reporter was in tears.

Unbelievable as it was, Cindy Fox, the petite beauty that graced the courts in UCLA blue and gold had been living as a boy until "his/her" sophomore year in high school. The basic school records were none to descriptive, simply showing her former boy name as a freshman and the change in her senior year, however the school photos and a counselors letter that should never have been posted there told the true tale. The photos showed an amazing transition from a sad eyed undersized freshman boy, to a shy shorthaired girl as a sophomore, and then a rather attractive and vivacious looking girl her senior year.

The counselor’s letters revealed the story behind the pictures. Cindy was, as the professional described it, a transsexual, in this case, a girl born in a boy’s body. She went on to state that Cindy preferred to be called “a girl born with a physical birth defect”, as she felt that description was more accurate. Also included were several personality test results in which Cindy scored very high on the feminine traits and a brief self statement she’d made prior to the surgery to correct her defect.

Tears welled in the young journalist’s eyes, as she read the pain this poor girl had endured, trapped in a body prison, living a life that no girl should ever have to. She continued reading and found a post surgery report stating Cindy could return to school for her junior year and documentation substantiating her rightful position as a female for all activities, including sports. Scrolling further she found some rather testy debates in a local paper and an editorial in the school paper that defended her right to play tennis on the girl’s team and participate in all functions as such. The school board decision that upheld her right was also followed at the state and national levels.

The rest of the information she found was pretty much standard, all things considered. Cindy was all state in tennis, graduated in the top ten, and received a full ride to UCLA. The young woman was sad to note that there was no prom picture from the girl’s senior year, as there was with most all the others she had researched. Her heart sank as she wondered if this brave beautiful girl who had missed out on so much growing up, had even received a single offer for the prom.

The embarrassed hacker had absolutely no intention of releasing this information, and realizing how insensitive she had been to even consider doing such a story, she deleted all the files she’d found. Of course now she was pressed for time to find a different story and signed off quickly to go looking for one. Unfortunately in her haste, she’d failed to empty the recycle bin on her computer. Sadly for her, and tragically for Cindy, another reporter had come into the USC journalism office as the young woman blew by him. Curious as to what she was working on, and having stolen her password some time ago, he opened her private files and began nosing around. Finding nothing newsworthy there, he took a chance at checking her deleted files. Ethics and compassion were lost to this newshound when he sniffed out what he considered to be journalistic gold. A few hours later he had hard copy, and an unauthorized release of Cindy's biography was passed out to USC fans as they entered the arena.

Of those who read the free flyer, most thought it was some kind of off-color college prank and dismissed it as such. Others stared at the pictures, wondering if it could really be possible that the lovely pixie stretching her legs on the court, could possibly be the "boy" this article was proclaiming her to be. Most of those who did believe what they read or at least thought it was possible had empathy and respect for the young woman who had obviously earned the right to wear that title. Still, there are always piranhas around that attack at the first sight of blood and this article clearly had cut the budding young tennis star.

The heckling began as soon as Cindy started warming up. At the first few words she sent a volley clear over the fence and into the next court. Her head dropped and tears begin to well. She looked over at her parents and her father stood, gazing first at her and then at the USC crowd. He started to make his way to the center of the disturbance when out of the corner of his eye he saw Cindy pleading with him not to. Nodding, he reluctantly sat down next to his wife and held her hand. Cindy smiled and gave them a brave face, but inside her heart was breaking and her stomach was churning.

As she resumed practicing, the catcalls and taunts continued to rain down and her mind returned to the days in primary and secondary school when those words came from her young classmates. In the beginning it had been taunting and teasing of a tortured little boy, but when she first returned to school as a girl her sophomore year, it had turned into hateful slurs and death threats.

Her parents had wanted her to transfer to a private school when she started to transition but she begged them not to and they couldn’t really argue with her reasons. Not only was she a stubborn little Irish girl who didn’t take to being run off by anyone, but she also had friends at that school that had stood up for her and believed in her. She just couldn’t turn her back on them after all they’d done for her. Perhaps most of all, she had been taught you never run away from your problems. If she couldn’t learn to overcome obstacles, she would never be the young woman she was fighting so hard to become.

Her sophomore year was hell, but she she’d been walking in that dark place for quite some time, and would not be denied now. Still, she was only 15 and the incredible pressure would sometimes collapse in on her and then she would retreat to a safe place. Often she could find that in the bosom of her loving family, and other times it was off to see her godfather and heal with the help of the ocean.

Cindy survived her sophomore year and then took some more hard hits when her junior year started, but by the end of term the furor had finally died down and slowly she began getting the chance to live as the woman she was destined to be. By her senior year, she was pretty much just another honor student with a good number of friends and a tennis star being courted by several universities. Sadly, there was one thing missing, and the reporter who had uncovered her file had noted it. There had been no prom date or any other for Cindy during her high school years. After things settled a bit, most of the boys were comfortable enough to be cordial and many a time she smiled as she caught an admiring glance, but none, not one, would venture to take the hand of this girl who as a freshman had shared the same restroom with them.

It hurt, it hurt a lot, the same as it would for any girl, because in the ways that truly mattered most, Cindy WAS the same as any girl. She always had been, save for the birth defect. Surgery and hormones had pretty much solved that, but there is no substitute for the lost years and experiences she had missed by not being able to grow up as a little girl. She would have to scramble to catch up with her counterparts, but in one field she never would. Even though surgery had given her bas much of the appropriate plumbing it could, she would never bear children. She was 14 when she began her life living as a girl, but the joy she felt was bittersweet as already she was mourning the loss of children she would never carry.

She entered UCLA a wide-eyed freshman as most young women her age and settled into the campus scene. Only occasionally did her past ever surface. A few of her high school friends joined her at UCLA, and her best one shared an apartment with her, but none of them would ever divulge her storied past. Her second match as a freshman pitted her against a knowing former high school rival. Cindy was obviously a bit nervous when she saw her opponent, but the young woman came over and gave her a hug before the match and smiled. She knew then that would be the end of it and it was. Cindy beat her worse this time than she had in high school but nonetheless she knew she had a true friend.

Her sophomore year was going so well, and her tennis play was flawless. She begin to think that perhaps those dark times were going to be past her now, a chapter she could finally close, but sadly today it was reopened with a vengeance.

The slurs and shouts and disgusted looks returned from her high school days. Most of the more vocal spectators were eventually asked to leave by security after the first few sets, but the damage had been done, and Cindy never got her game back. She drew the match for three sets on sheer determination alone, but in the end her heart could only carry her so far, and she lost. Her opponent met her at the net; tears in her own eyes. She could only say, "I am so sorry, really I am."

Cindy smiled bravely as she hugged and thanked her compassionate opponent. Doing her best to regain her composure, she waved at her parents, and then headed off to the locker room in a trot. The brave face had fallen quickly once she exited from public view.

The UCLA locker room fell to a hush when Cindy entered. Most of her teammates were as shocked and confused as the fans in the stands. They went to school with this girl, practiced with this girl, and for heaven’s sake, showered with this girl. On the surface, these ridiculous allegations couldn’t possibly be true, but the look on Cindy’s face hinted otherwise.

Cindy passed silently through the crowd. She could feel their eyes on her, could hear the unspoken questions. By the time she reached her locker, she could bear the deafening silence no longer. Without a word, she bolted from the locker room and headed for the parking lot. She ignored hails from her coach, who was surrounded by fans and players demanding a denial or confirmation of the story.

Fortunately for Cindy, she made it to her Mustang before being spotted by the crowd. Barking the tires, she blew by some of the hatemongers that had been thrown out earlier. When a few noticed the “Fox on the run”, they lofted a few more vicious volleys, but Cindy never heard them as they were drowned out by her cranked stereo and the roar of her V-8.

Twenty minutes later she was at her sanctuary, and sobbing at its gates. Her head hit the horn and the blaring siren broke her state. Wiping her eyes and sighing, she drove past the gate and followed the winding road to the beach house. Parking her car there, she wandered down the beach and found her special secluded spot under the trees. Gazing out over the magnificent ocean, she wished those crashing waves would just engulf her. She buried her head again and added salty tears to the trickle of ocean water that rose and fell only inches from her feet.

Unbeknown to Cindy, her solitude was soon to be interrupted by someone looking for the same. Lynx's Cougar was crawling down the side road when the young man saw an inviting asphalt path toward the beach that he couldn't resist. Driving over the fallen chain, he never saw the "PRIVATE NO ADMITTANCE" sign. Had he, his destiny would never have been fulfilled nor would Cindy's.

Lynx drove a few hundred feet and then pulled the Cougar over when he saw a clear view of the beautiful beach and his magnificent ocean. Looking from side to side he was glad he was alone. Figuring he might be trespassing, he could only hope the owner might be gracious. He would be more than willing to pay accordingly for just an hour of two alone with his grand lady. Hoping attack dogs would not greet him, he grabbed his guitar and slowly walked toward the water. He wanted to leave the world behind, This was true, but he still wanted his music should he feel the inspiration as he sat drinking in the view.

He walked along for a few minutes, looking for a comfortable spot when he heard a voice coming from a small cluster of trees. He took another step and then leaned forward, wishing the ocean, for this moment only, would cease its incessant roar. A few steps more and he could hear the voice clearly. It was an angel’s voice, a singing angel. Her soft sweet sound radiated and a lady inspired him, only this time not his grand one. He listened to a few more lines and recognized the tune. It had been immortalized before in the movies, and sung very well by one woman in particular, but for Lynx, it had never sounded sweeter than it did this very moment.

Quickly realizing the beach was not his alone, and probably the property of the woman now singing, his better judgment told him he should make a hasty retreat and leave her to her solitude, but it was a siren song that Cindy was singing, and his fingers began strumming the chords to match her words. The song they were sharing was "The Rose".

Cindy had finally sobbed herself out and now exhausted, leaned against the tree. Slowly and without thinking she fell back on one of her favorite comfort songs. She had a lovely and unique singing voice. The male hormones hadn’t really done much damage to her vocal cords, but the tiny bit of influence they had, had lowered her voice just a level and gave it a more soulful, sultry sound while still soft and sweet. Save for a chosen few, she rarely ever shared her song with others and certainly would never have considering performing.

Little did she know as she began singing The Rose, that she was also auditioning for the leader of a top rated band. However, it didn’t take her too long to find out that she was no longer singing alone, as the soft sounds of an acoustic guitar filtered in to match her song. Quickly quieting, she rose from her place by the tree and turned to find a tall handsome young man smiling at her, guitar in hand. He was continuing to play even after he she had stopped accompanying him.

Smiling sheepishly at the lovely lass with the golden voice, Lynx quickly offered his apologies and his compliments. "I'm ... I'm truly sorry. I didn't mean to intrude. I um ... um ... guess I am trespassing on your beach. I was just looking for a quiet spot by the ocean and well ... I thought I found it and um ... well, I heard you singing."

Cindy was still speechless. Shocked a little, yes, as she hadn't been expecting a gate crasher so to speak, and while common sense said she should be afraid of this stranger, she wasn’t listening, because she felt no fear. There was gentleness in those beautiful dark blue eyes and a kindness in his smile that told her those weren't shark teeth. Her heart quickened a beat, and not just from the surprise, but from the vision of the man who stood apologizing before her.

He spoke clearly with an accent, European she thought, but beyond that she really wasn't sure. Whatever it was, it seemed to go with the attractive body before her. The aforementioned dark eyes were the bedroom kind most women dream of. Deep dark pools that once a woman loses herself in them, she is destined to end up in the owner’s bedroom. His complexion was fair and not the usual heavily tanned surfer dude she had grown accustomed to seeing wander the beaches. He was young, maybe in his mid twenties she would guess, although the smile belonged to that of a much younger scamp. Light sandy blonde hair fell to just over his collar. She sighed as she admired his broad shoulders and lean but muscular build. Dressed casually in jeans and t-shirt he cut quite an image, and clearly it wasn’t lost on Cindy.

"I really am sorry if I disturbed you”, he offered sheepishly, which brought Cindy back round to the land of the living, “but, you really have some voice there. I'm serious about that. I um ... well I know a little bit about music", flashing his guitar before her, "and I'm serious, you have a great voice."

Cindy smiled and blushed. Meekly she returned in anything but that powerful voice, "Uh thanks, but ... I'm not a singer. I um ... well, just like to come here to be alone, and sometimes I sing. I’m not really that good."

Lynx smiled at her and drank in the vision that held the voice. The voice may have been larger, but the vessel that held it was petite, maybe every bit of 5'4. Long soft auburn curls had been nearly freed from the ponytail holder that had pretty much lost its grip. The soft curls framed a peaches and cream angel's face. A few faint freckles hinted the feisty little Irish girl within and her big green eyes were the windows to a powerful soul that was taking this man’s breath away. Her lean slender body was athletically built and the tennis outfit she wore spoke how she kept it that way. Yet it did very little to conceal the soft curves that made her figure still very much feminine, and noticeably to Lynx's approval.

Lynx smiled both at her and to himself. She hadn't noticed who he was, or if she did, she was obviously not a fan. Either way, he was relieved. He loved and appreciated those who came to see the band play, and as much as possible, he tried to honor every request for a snap or an autograph, but beneath all the glitter he was still just a young man, and it was nice to talk to a girl for once who didn't have stars in her eyes.

He really wanted to get to know this mystery girl, but he was intruding on her world, and knowing how much having peace and ocean to your own means, he quickly tried to excuse himself. "Hey, listen. I don't want to intrude. I mean, like I'm standing here on your beach and you just want to be alone. I had no idea, and I'm really sorry. Me and my guitar will be out of here before you can sing another chorus."

He started to leave, definitely wishing he could think of a reason to stay, and then mercifully, Cindy whose soul was screaming at the young woman, finally managed to get her to eke out a barely audible, "No, please stay. I … I mean if you want to? I .. umm…think it would be nice to have company." Her smile begged him, but it never needed too. He was already hers after the first few lines of the Rose.

Lynx turned, his dark eyes twinkled at hers and his smiled widened. "Great! I'd love to." Pausing for a moment, he offered his hand and his name. "Oh by the way, I'm Lynx ... it's nice to share your ocean with you."

Cindy smiled and then giggled a little, as she took his hand and his heart. "Hi! I'm Cindy and umm ... well, it's not really my beach. The land belongs to my Uncle Bob, but the ocean …" Her voice trailed off for a moment as she gazed out over the unending blue seascape. "Well ... I don't think it belongs to anyone. If anything, we belong to it. I know it pulls me here as if it were calling me home sometimes."

The girl blushed as she realized she was waxing poetic, and probably making a fool out herself. Lynx stepped to her side and then looked out over the ocean. Speaking first to it but then turning to meet her gaze as he finished. "I know exactly how you feel. It's the same way I do. When I really need to feel alive I come to the ocean and ... and ... It’s like magic."

On "magic" their eyes met and their souls touched as surely as if their lips had met. Both of them felt it, yet neither had the courage to give in to the passion that was quickly building. It was getting a little too hot for Cindy and much too fast. She took a step back from the flame as she spoke. "So ... Lynx? I like that name but I don't think I've ever heard it before, except ... isn’t that like a cat or something?"

Lynx noticed her retreat and respected it. "Yeah, it is, but aside from being a patient member of the cat family, it’s also an old family name from Denmark. It’s actually my middle name. My first name is Fredrick, but everyone’s called me Lynx for as long as I can remember.

Cindy smiled saying she had noted the accent, but hadn’t been sure where it was from. She then asked him if he’d relocated here, or was he just visiting.

Lynx paused a moment before answering. He was now sure she had no idea of his celebrity status, and that made him quite happy, but where to go now? Cindy was someone he didn’t feel like he could lie to, but perhaps if he were careful, he wouldn’t have to tell her the whole truth just yet. He didn't want to risk losing the something special he felt building with her.

Choosing his words carefully he told her that he was touring the US at this time. He was musician with a band, and they had a concert in L.A. that night. He neglected to tell her they were headlining a sold out L.A. Coliseum.

Cindy's heart fell a bit. He was a traveling musician, probably playing for gas money and food at small bars and clubs, forever chasing the big break that all musicians hope for that so rarely ever comes. Her parents would say he was not the kind of man for a young girl to who had hopes of playing professional tennis, and yet knowing all that, she was still drawn to this handsome minstrel.

He would probably be half way to Arizona in the next few days, but for now, she wanted to be near him, and she didn’t care about his future portfolios or whether he would ever have two nickels to rub together.

She shared her brief profile, which included being a sophomore at UCLA. Her participation on the tennis team was pretty much a foregone conclusion from her attire, and the Bruin logo. She added that losing her first match had been particularly hard on her but she neglected to tell him the true reason behind it. Like Lynx, she didn’t want to lie to him, but she wasn’t ready to divulge the whole truth. He was a dream that would be gone by this afternoon, and she wasn't about to send her Prince Charming packing by telling him the princess he was adoring had once been a fellow knight, or at least wearing the armor. She was entitled to a fairy tale and so much more. She just couldn't spoil it.

Over the next two hours the pair sat side-by-side, talking, laughing and finally, with a little coaxing from Lynx, did sing and play a little more. Lynx even joined her in a duet that nearly charmed the birds from the sky.

Cindy couldn't help but notice the skill and talent Lynx displayed in both his singing and playing. Small time musician or not, he was good, better than good. Maybe he would be one of those who might not end up working at the car wash or parking cars. She was quick to tell him just how good she thought he was, and like she had before, he offered a modest reply, saying he wasn't all that good.

Finally the sun started falling and Lynx knew the National Guard, or at least his manager, would be tracking him down shortly. Rising from the sand and then helping Cindy up, he gazed into her emerald pools. "Say ... I know this is all kind of short notice and all, but ... would you consider coming to the concert tonight? I would really love to have you there. If you'd feel safer you can bring some of your friends, or the girls from your tennis team. I mean, I can get you front row seats!" he added with a hopeful smile.

Cindy smiled back sweetly. ‘Poor thing’, she thought. ‘Probably it’s some dive he's playing in, and no wonder he can get me front row seats. Save for the drunks,’ I might be the only one in attendance.’

Searching his eyes and finding only the gentle beautiful soul she’d been looking at since the moment their eyes met, she quickly accepted. "I'd love to see you play, and if I can, I'll try to bring some friends, too."

Lynx quietly breathed out thanks, but it was barely audible as he could no longer resist and gently lifted Cindy's face to within inches of his own. Seeing no hesitation in her eyes, he brought his lips to meet hers and their souls intertwined in a passion-filled kiss. Time stopped as the two became one, neither one wanting, nor able to release the other.

Finally Lynx pulled back, still keeping a firm hold on the wilting flower in his arms. Cindy blinked and swallowed, every fiber of her body yearned for more. It was her first real kiss and the Sleeping Beauty inside had been awakened by this Prince Charming.

Lynx reluctantly released her once he was sure she was steady and then took a step back. "Cindy ... thanks for the kiss, and thanks for agreeing to come to the concert. I… I promise you won’t be disappointed."

Cindy blushed and smiled back to tell him the pleasure was every bit as much hers, as his, and there was no hint of disappointment.

Lynx smiled and then added. "Listen ... if you don't mind I'll come by and pick you up for the gig. It would definitely be easier then you just meeting me there. Is that okay?"

Cindy nodded. She naturally assumed he wanted the time to explain to her that he was playing in some dive and for her not too be disappointed once she saw it. She could refuse him nothing. She was Cinderella, and she was going to the ball, even if the ball was held at Louie's Bar and Grill.

Lynx came back and stole a softer kiss, which she gave willingly, and then turned to head toward the car. Stopping he smiled and rolled his eyes. "Hey ... I don't even know where you live?"

Cindy giggled and then shouted him the address. Having pen but no paper, he quickly scribbled it on his arm which made the young maiden shake her head and laugh all the more. Lynx stopped just short of disappearing, blowing her a kiss and making her a promise to come round to collect her at 7.

Cindy caught and returned the air kiss, acknowledging his promise and drinking in the last bit of her prince, before collapsing on the beach. Reveling in what had just happened and already dreaming of what might, she closed her eyes for a moment and then shouted, "YES!"

Five minutes later she was on the road and back on her game. She was going to have to hurry if she was going be dressed and ready for what she hoped would be a night to remember. As she pulled up into her driveway, she had no idea of just how incredibly unforgettable this night would be.
 


 
Chapter Two
The Concert
 
Lynx rolled up to Cindy's house in the same Cougar he'd borrowed before. He’d really had to pull some strings to sneak away from the concert only an hour before he was due on stage. Fortunately, being a “star” does have its privileges. He had convinced one of the stagehands to drive the car, with him covered up in the back seat, hoping the swelling mass of fans wouldn’t attack anything that might contain either him or any member of the band.

Fortunately, they made it past the mob without being detected, and Lynx switched places with the driver once they were far enough away to do so. After dropping the stagehand off a block past the crowd, he headed off to Cindy’s, hoping no one recognized him, should he have to stop for petrol.

Lynx found the address in good time. When he knocked on Cindy's door, another attractive young college girl greeted him. Jenna smiled at the tall handsome stranger when she opened the door. For a lingering second he seemed oh, so familiar, but attributing it to dreams of a prince she’d had the other night, she dismissed it. It wouldn’t be until shortly after this dreamland prince of hers had left with her best friend, that she would wake up and realize he was the reigning prince admiral of rock and roll.

Even when the handsome young man introduced himself as Lynx and that he was here to pick up Cindy, Jenna didn’t put the pieces together, but then she was only running on five out of six cylinders, as she was nursing a terrible cold and the flu medicine had her half dazed.

Jenna introduced herself with a smile as she asked Lynx in, telling him Cindy was expecting him, but as with all women, she was running late, and should be ready in a few minutes. Lynx smiled, letting out a sigh of relief, as it looked as if there were at least two young women in Los Angeles who didn’t know him on sight. Jenna then asked him to have a seat on the sofa and she would see if she could hurry Cindy along.

Jenna sniffled as she headed to Cindy’s bedroom, mostly from the post nasal drip. But she was also trying to hold back happy tears, as she was so happy to see her best friend finally dating. At first she’d been a bit suspicious when Cindy had came busting into the house talking about this God she’d met on the beach at her uncle’s house. Jenna, a friend since early childhood days, had always been protective of Cindy, even before she became “Cindy”, and although they were the same age, she was more like a second big sister. Big sis Jenna had been gently nudging her little sis out into the dating water since they’d arrived at UCLA, yet ever mindful of sharks. This catch that had followed her home from the beach had a shark’s big smile, but Jenna could sense he had the heart of lion, and she just knew Cindy was going to be in good hands tonight. She could only hope those hands didn’t go any place they shouldn’t go on a first date.

Jenna walked into Cindy’s bedroom, smiling as she saw her fussing with her hair. Telling her she looked just fine, the mother hen shooed her little chick out into the living room. Lynx turned his head toward the bedroom door just as Cindy stepped out in skirt, boots and blouse. Rising to meet her, he was nearly speechless looking at the goddess who greeted him with a smile. Taking her hand, he told her she looked beautiful and that he was tempted to ditch the concert so he didn’t have to share her with anyone. She blushed demurely before saying, “You shouldn’t keep your public waiting,” while silently wondering if his public was a single digit number.

Finally, Lynx and Cindy said their good byes to Jenna before hurrying out the door to the waiting Cougar. It was only after their taillights had disappeared from view that Jenna’s flu medicine induced fog allowed the young woman enough coherent thought to put the face and name together. Dropping her box of tissues, she ran to her room and pulled an album from the rack. There on the cover, center stage was Cindy’s Lynx, better known by millions of love struck young women as Lynx of Lynx and the Kool Kats. She near fainted as her legs gave out and she fell back on her bed, realizing her best friend was on a date with the hottest rock star of their generation.

Jenna shook her head, “Talk about hitting a home run your first time at bat!” she giggled.

Despite talking so freely at the beach, both were a little more nervous at this planned rendezvous. Both sat quietly at first, each waiting for the other to start and of course both starting at the same time when they did speak. Lynx, forever the gentleman, gave way to the lady.

Cindy breathed heavily, finally managing, "Look I umm ... I don't date often and well ... actually ... I never really ever went out ... you know ... I mean, alone … with a man alone, that is and ... well ... I umm ... don't want you to get the wrong impression about me ... I mean we kissed, and that was great. I mean, better than great!” she gushed.

Lynx gave her a moment, knowing she was just as nervous as he was, and that she obviously needed to say a few things. Patience being a virtue of all lynx’s, two or four-legged, he had plenty for Cindy and waited silently as his rambling rose rambled on.

"It's just that I don't really even know you, and you sure don't really know me and I ... well ... I just don't want you to think that umm ... something's gonna happen okay, because I ... I can't do that, and I just have to be honest with you," she finally ran out of steam.

Feeling like a blithering idiot for opening her mouth, and that she had just proved she must be one, her shoulders slumped as she blew out a heavy sigh. Tears welled in her eyes, as she was sure her handsome knight must be ready to chuck her off his horse.

Lynx reached over and took her hand. The auburn haired Bambi lifted her gaze to meet his, and the prince could see the frightened and innocent girl housed in the grown woman's body.

Stopping at a light, he turned and spoke gently. "Cindy, I just want you to come to my concert tonight. There's no pressure, okay? I will never ask you do anything that you aren't comfortable with, but as for something not happening ... I think it’s already too late for that. From the moment I heard your voice and saw you on the beach, you touched my heart. I know this sounds like some kind of line or something, but I've never really met anyone like you."

Cindy hung on his words. No man had ever accused her of stealing his heart. Of course as far as she was concerned it was more than an even trade, because he’d taken hers the moment she’d seen him standing there playing his guitar and smiling at her. She probably would have melted into his leather seats had it not been for his last words, which left her a bit chilled. He’d said he’d never really met anyone like her before. That remark held a double meaning Lynx had yet to realize, and reasoning she would probably never see her "first love" after tonight, she convinced herself there was no need to spoil the fantasy for either of them.

Lynx hesitated for a moment, noticing the far away look in Cindy’s eyes. His silence quickly brought her back to the land of the living, with a rosy blush to boot.

Smiling gently, he started again. "However ... if all you want to do is just come to the show and then go straight back home I will understand, but Cindy ... if you can ... please just give me as much of tonight and of yourself as you are comfortable sharing. Deal?"

Cindy smiled and nodded, both of them seemingly relieved THAT part was finally said and over. It was then Lynx decided it was time to tell her the rest of truth. The coliseum was less than fifteen minutes away and he didn’t want her finding it out on the marquee lights. He was forming the words when he noticed a red light on the dash flashing him warning that the petrol was nearly gone. Spying a near deserted filling station, he gave the truth a momentary reprieve and pulled in, telling her that they’d better gas or they’d be walking to the concert.

Cindy smiled at him when he got out to pay for the petrol in advance. A few minutes later and ten dollars poorer, Lynx was holding the nozzle, still contemplating his coming speech. He wondered if she would be upset with him for not being completely honest and admitting his “true” identity. He had a feeling that all she had said was about honesty, and he didn’t want this to end before it really got started. He was no longer worried that she would become a starry eyed groupie. Even though they’d spent just a few hours together, he knew her well enough to know that she had far a deeper soul than most and she wasn’t about to be carried away by the glamour, glitter or his admiral’s hat.

Lynx was so engrossed in his coming speech he never saw the van that pulled up next to him. A load of concert bound teens emptied out and spied him immediately. Shrieks and screams of "Oh my God! There he is! Its Lynx!" quickly alerted him he’d been discovered. Suddenly, cars seem to come from everywhere and a mob quickly began forming. Lynx dropped the gas handle, leaving the last few gallons he’d paid for and pushed his way to the car. No sooner than he'd gotten in, than the car was surrounded by girls pressing themselves against it.

Cindy was horrified and began shaking. Looking at Lynx she begged for an explanation. "What's going on, Lynx? Why are all these people trying to attack the car?"

Lynx started to explain and then Cindy saw the t-shirt on the well-endowed girl whose breasts were smashed against her window. Clearly displayed was the image of "Prince Admiral Lynx" of Lynx and the Kool Kats.

Cindy didn't really follow the current music scene, but even a tennis junkie like her had heard of Lynx and the Kool Kats and had seen his face plastered across billboards. Of course she had been so taken by the MAN at the beach that she hadn't thought to put his name with the image of the Rock God.

Cupping her mouth with her hand, her face flushed with embarrassment, as she suddenly felt totally ridiculous. Here she’d been so concerned about not bruising Lynx’s ego when they pulled into some dive bar with a half a dozen drunks for an audience. She felt like crawling under the seat as she realized they were heading toward the Los Angeles Coliseum and 60-70 thousand screaming fans.

Cindy knew she had to say something but when she coaxed something out of her mouth, she wobbled badly. "Oh wow ... I umm ... umm ... I mean … I had no idea. You’re that Lynx! Oh God, I feel like such an idiot. You know? I’m probably about the only girl in Los Angeles between 8 and 80 who wouldn’t know who you are. I hope that doesn’t insult you? Gee, I really do feel pretty dumb right now.”

Lynx squeezed her hand and begged her to stop. "Cindy, please don’t say anything else, at least not yet. Just give me a chance to talk, okay?"

Praying he could get out of this without literally losing his shirt, he tapped the horn lightly and the frustrated fans reluctantly gave way. Lynx gently nudged the Cougar forward, passing by all of the frenzied females who were looking to give him more than their number.

Once back on the road again, Lynx did his best to salvage the situation. “First of all, if anybody owes anybody an apology, it’s me! I should have told you straight away, but … well I didn’t want to ruin things. It was just so nice to meet someone who didn’t react like one of those girls they used to always show being carried off by security at the Beatle’s concerts. Trust me, you’re not dumb, and I don’t feel the least bit insulted that you didn’t recognize me. Honest, it was so great for once to just be a guy who’s lucky enough to share the beach and a kiss or two with a beautiful girl. I’m serious Cindy! Those few hours we spent together were more wonderful than playing Buckingham Palace, and I have to admit, that was a blast!"

Lynx punctuated his sentence with a smile, hoping he'd coax one out of his lady. Happily, his efforts were rewarded as a grin peeked out from the lovely lass’ face and eventually spread to a full-fledged smile. Relieved that he still held her favor, he went on, “I was about to come clean with the truth a few minutes earlier, but then the petrol light came on and I had to hold off until I filled up. Then my ‘adoring public’ showed up and that pretty much ended any chance of being subtle. He finished, ”All I can do is hope that you find it in your heart to forgive me for being dishonest. I’ll understand if you want me to take you straight home.” His sad eyes as he finished begged that she wouldn’t exercise that option.

Cindy felt tears welling in her eyes again. Like herself, Lynx was living a fairy tale tonight. She just wanted to be a woman without a past and have a date with a handsome man. He just wanted to be a man, not a Rock Star, and have a night with a beautiful girl. Realizing she was the beautiful girl; she couldn't deny him or herself. Leaning forward, she answered him with a kiss and their souls intertwined once again.

Lynx somehow managed to navigate both car and tongue without being amiss with either. When he reluctantly broke the kiss, he knew he had a green light and continued driving his Miss Cindy to the concert.

From that point on it was truly something out of a fairy tale for Cindy. Lynx whisked the car around to a special entrance and was able to get both himself and Cindy out and into the Coliseum without losing either of their shirts. The warm-up band was just finishing its last set when Lynx dashed back stage. He made quick introductions for Cindy with the rest of the band. She instantly took a liking to the smiling strawberry blonde named Tess. Miss Kitty winked at her and before taking the stage, mouthed, "He likes you." Cindy’s emerald green eyes sparkled as she returned in the same language, "Me too".

As the lights were raised to reveal the feature attraction, one of the stage crew led Cindy to the previously promised front row center stage seat. For the next three hours she was treated to an incredible performance that included no less than four encores before finally sending the satisfied crowd home.

Cindy had never been to a legitimate concert before. She could hardly call sitting outside the library at UCLA eating yogurt with Jenna, watching a few music students trying to hustle a little change to eat on, attending a concert. What she witnessed, no, experienced this time, was truly a concert. The band played flawlessly, working the crowd into frenzy. Cindy had sat riveted, her eyes only occasionally leaving Lynx when his sister Tess sang a solo and worked a little keyboard magic. Now she could understand why young women would rush the stage to get their hands on a performer like Lynx. It was all she could not to mount a charge of her own.

In a word, Lynx was awesome. The way he rocked that guitar and worked the crowd was the ultimate in showmanship. When he walked to edge of the stage and surprised her by singing ‘The Rose’ as if it were only to her, and in her heart she knew it was, could only be described as pure magic, and Cindy was totally smitten. She was as sad to see the final curtain draw as the rest of the capacity crowd, but hopeful at a chance for a more private encore.

Cindy watched the last of the faithful file be lead out, and waited alone for about ten minutes before being greeted by a sweat soaked, but still rather handsome young man. Seeing the magic man smiling at her, she ran to him and hugged him tightly.

"Oh Lynx it was wonderful! You really can play and … and … and sing, too, and the whole band is awesome. Your sister Tess is amazing on keyboards. It ... it was all so ... so ... incredible," she gushed. "Oh, how can I thank you?" she asked, smiling hungrily, then answered for the Lynx, showering him with tiny kisses, and then one that curled both their toes.

Lynx pulled back, sweating even more profusely than he had been when he’d left the stage. "Wow! I'd say you more than just thanked me, but ... if you still feel indebted?” He added with a wink. “I’d love to take you out for a very late dinner or a very early breakfast. It'd give you a chance to really meet the rest of the band, and I know Tess is dying to talk to you."

He rolled his eyes a little as he mentioned his twin sister. He could only imagine what she'd fill Cindy's head with on those joint trips to the powder room girls are notorious for.

Cindy didn’t have school the next day, and Saturdays were always a light day for practice anyway, but it wouldn’t have mattered if she'd had finals at 7:00 am and a match at 10, she wouldn't have turned down this dinner invitation for the world.

Curtseying slightly for effect, she graciously accepted the prince’s offer, taking his hand as she accompanied him back stage. This time he had a chance to make proper introductions before ducking into his dressing room and begging ten minutes to grab a shower.

Tess had already taken her shower, and immediately dragged Cindy into her dressing room to chat while she combed out her hair. The two girls began chatting as though they’d been life-long friends. Tess could see why Lynx had fallen for her. A blind man could see Cindy was a beautiful girl, but as more of Cindy’s warm personality came out while they talked, she could see the true reason why he’d come back to coliseum on cloud nine. Tess smiled impishly as she got the dish from Cindy on the beach meeting that had so mesmerized her brother.

Cindy really liked Tess. She was a free spirit, just like her brother, and she felt instantly comfortable with her. It was like two high school girls, when one had a crush on the other’s twin brother. Cindy filled Tess in, and her new friend was hanging on every word.

At the end of the tale, Tess hugged Cindy tightly and let her in on a little secret that only a sister would know. “Despite what you may have read in all those scandal rags that talk about all of "Lynx's Lovers", my brother hasn't been close to ANY girls since the band took off. He could easily have had his choice of groupie one-night stands in any city we played, but he never has. Deep inside he is this hopeless romantic who is as gentle and as true as the love songs he writes.” She then added with a giggle, that if Cindy ever called Lynx on any of that, his male pride would probably deny it vehemently. Cindy giggled herself, knowing full well the fragile nature of the male ego.

Tess then shared something even more personal with Cindy. She asked Cindy. “Have you ever heard that twins often share a special bond?”
Cindy nodded, knowing that she felt deeply connected to her sister Ally, who was four years older. Seeing Cindy was a believer, Tess went on to say that what she shared with Lynx went deeper than what most people might think possible. Now it wasn’t like she could read his exact thoughts or anything, but she was in tune with his emotions, and the stronger that emotion, the more in tune she was. “So, when I said I know him better than just about anyone else on this earth and that he’d never truly been in love,” pausing to add, “until now!” Cindy could believe her.

Cindy was shell-shocked when Tess dropped that bomb. She knew she was in over her head from the moment she’d laid eyes on him, but now she’d discovered Lynx was as lost in the magic as she was. It had been less than 24 hours, and already she felt things for him that she'd been afraid to dream she could ever feel for any man, and according to Lynx's sister, it was mutual. She was still reflecting on the enormity of it all when a fresh dressed Lynx knocked before peeking into his sister's dressing room. Seeing she was all dressed, he strode in like a peacock, plumage displayed brightly. Slipping in next to his sister, he tickled Tess as she was trying to corral an unruly curl, "Okay Muffin, ... what lies have you been spreading to Cindy about me already?"

Tess giggled and answered with a counter attack on her brother. Cindy laughed, then, " … Muffin?"

Lynx finally flew the flag of truce when he saw Tess reach for the hairspray and answered Cindy’s question. "Tess' nickname is Muffin, because ever since she was a little girl hanging out in our mother’s kitchen, she made the best muffins in the entire village. Blue Ribbon winner four years in a row, ya know."

Tess blushed and rolled her eyes. "I was like ten years old and mother helped, but goofy here started calling me the Muffin Maiden. and of course, it stuck. I suppose there are worse things to be called."

Lynx hugged his muffin maiden before making his way over to Cindy and lacing his fingers with hers. "Well speaking of muffins ... how bout we get something to eat. I'm starved!"

Tess and Cindy looked at each other and their woman's intuition connected to echo the same word, "Men!" They both broke in giggles, which made Lynx stop and look from side to side and offer, "Women!"

Of course this really set the girls off, leaving poor Lynx more dismayed than before. Discretion being the better part of valor, he took an arm from each of them and quickly escorted them out the door and toward the limo while he still could.

Twenty minutes later they were being seated in the private dining room at one of L.A.'s most prominent eateries. The establishment would normally have closed a few hours earlier, but a call from the band’s manager had cleared the way for a private dinner party for Lynx and the Kool Kats, plus one. The owner had catered to the likes of Elvis and the Beatles, so setting up a private affair for the chart-topping band was standard procedure.

Cindy felt like Cinderella on overtime, as the hour was well past midnight and she hadn't turned back into a pumpkin, nor had she lost her glass slipper. As she sat next to her handsome prince, picking at her salad, too anxious to do it much justice, she kept venturing quick glances up into Lynx’s dark eyes. It was all she could do to keep those moments brief, as she was so tempted to just lose herself in them. More that once, she blushed and begged forgiveness, as someone had asked her a question and she had to fight her way back just to answer it.

For Lynx, being with Cindy was like being in the throes of passion, but not the kind he'd felt before with the few women he'd taken to dinner. nor the even fewer he’d taken to his bed. Oh, he did FEEL that kind of passion! Every time he looked over to see those emerald greens meet his own, his whole body seemed to quake in anticipation of something he knew would not happen tonight, and sadly, perhaps never. Yet, it was a different kind of passion he felt that set this goddess above all others. It was almost the same overwhelming passion he felt when his heart and soul burned with song lyrics waiting for him to write them, or the times when he was out sailing on his beloved ocean and basking in its magic. It was something all encompassing, and it seemed to complete him. It was where he belonged. It was his purpose.

The young man sighed to himself. ’This is ridiculous. I've known this girl for only hours, and I'm in love. Not lust, been there, done that, but the real Romeo and Juliet kinda love.’ He chuckled as he quickly added, ‘But without the poison and lousy ending, I hope.’

Yet as seemingly ridiculous as it was, a single look at her lovely countenance only confirmed his true feelings. Reaching across the table to take her hand in his, electricity spread through not only his body, but hers as well. Cindy gasped ever so slightly, and Lynx knew she felt it as well.

Cindy's own thoughts mirrored Lynx's. She wasn’t the type of girl to get lost in fantasy. Had she succumbed to that release when she was little, she would have daydreamed her way to forty before having the courage to face the truth, her parents, and the rest of the world. She might never have become the woman now seated at this table.

Seriously, Cindy was trying her best to keep both feet on the ground, but when a man curls your toes with just a look, it’s hard not to float. Trying so hard not to give in to what she wanted to give into so badly, a few sober thoughts invaded her dream and gave her anchor. The truth of the matter was that she was sitting next to a rock and roll star that would probably be gone tomorrow. Yes, she wanted to believe what Tess had told her about Lynx's feelings, but the truth was, she was just a nineteen year old college girl so wrapped up in her tennis that she had barely even heard of Lynx and the Kool Kats until tonight. On top of that, she was a girl with a past, a past that would surely send her prince galloping away if he only knew. She was a passing fancy, one soon to be forgotten and replaced at the next town.

The truly smart thing to do would be to thank him for the night and excuse herself before she ended up being embarrassed. It would be a lovely memory to fold away, and along with her hot water bottle would keep her warm in her old age. Yes, that was the smart way to look at all this, but her heart was overruling Cindy’s head, and "smart things" weren't the order of the day. Thoughts of holding onto this man's hand, of seeing his handsome face, and hearing his sweet singing voice filling her ears for the rest of her life, began flooding all others. The honor student knew she was hopelessly chasing an impossible dream, but the passionate young woman who’d been awaken by a kiss, knew it was more than just a dream, it was a reality she desperately wanted to make her own.

Tess was a silent spectator to the love affair that was unfolding. She said just enough to keep conversation moving, but mostly, she just smiled like the cat that had swallowed the proverbial canary, as she was totally tuned in to the two souls who were struggling to find logic in their love. Had Star Trek Next Generation and the Borg made their presence yet, she surely would have stolen a famous line to share with the two young lovers. “Resistance is futile.”

The dinner lasted about two hours, with the band members sharing humorous stories about life on the road and when Cindy could stay focused long enough to hear one to its conclusion, it often had the young woman laughing to the point of tears. Lynx was perhaps the most silent of them all, just drinking in his lady. He felt his heart fill with joy when she smiled and laughed, knowing they were truly connected and the connection was growing deeper and more powerful by the moment.

Finally, they thanked their gracious host for a peaceful uninterrupted dinner, before heading back toward the hotel. Before leaving with Lynx, Cindy thanked them all for their performance and their kindness. She saved Tess for last, giving her a huge hug before saying “thank you” and “goodbye”. Tess smiled, giving her own thanks, but overruling Cindy’s goodbye, saying, “I’ll see you later.” She added a sly smile saying she meant it. The pair of auburn haired beauties exchanged knowing glances before Lynx finally whisked her away.

Cindy sat quietly as the drive home started. She was almost afraid to look into Lynx’s eyes, knowing she might not be able to pull back this time. Lynx, sensing her fear, reached over gently and took her hand. "Well ... I think the sun will be up any moment. I guess I need to get you home before your friend Jenna calls out the National Guard on me."

Cindy braved a look and smiled impishly. "Trust me, Jenna doesn’t need the National Guard, and the only person worse than her, is my father!"

Lynx's eyes twinkled as he returned her smile. "All the more reason to get you home before she calls him. The last thing I want to do is start a world war. I'm liable to get drafted."

Cindy laughed, shaking her head, then instinctively laid it on her companion’s shoulder. It seemed so natural for her to be there that she didn’t give her fears a chance to protest. Lynx didn't put his arm over her shoulder or draw her in too close just yet. He sensed this was a big move for the timid girl, and felt he needed to let her find her own way, hopefully forever, into his life.

Twenty cozy minutes later the limo pulled up in front of Cindy and Jenna's place. Cindy had all but nodded off, and Lynx could hardly bear to wake the sleeping angel snuggled next to him. Lightly nudging her, she woke up and then pulled back as she flushed with embarrassment. "Sorry ... I must have been more tired than I thought."

Her cordial host smiled, "If it been up to me I would have let you sleep there all night, but then there's that Father thing again, so ... "

Cindy laughed and shook her head at the handsome prince. Peeking out the window she noticed the living room light was on. No doubt Jenna was waiting up to get all of the scoop. The chauffeur started to get out to open the door, but Lynx waved him off, preferring to get out first and open the door for his lady, himself. Cindy smiled demurely and took his hand as he helped her out and didn’t release it as the pair walked side by side to her door.

When they got there, Cindy stepped ahead of Lynx and took the last step up to at least be close to eye level and turned to face her handsome prince. She was trying to think of a way to say thank you for a wonderful night when Lynx could no longer control himself, and found a way to express his gratitude sans words. Still holding her hand, he slipped his arm around her back to catch the wilting flower and gently brushed his lips across hers. He paused for a moment, waiting for retreat or complaint on her part, but finding nothing but soft moist lips calling to him, kissed her once again. This time it was deeper and more passion filled. It was like a return to the beach for both of them. Once again, their tongues and their souls intertwined. Cindy finally had to pull back or risk losing consciousness. She could feel her hand trembling in his. Overcome by emotion, she was unable to speak and dropped her head as tears welled in her eyes.

Lynx steadied her and slowly withdrew his hand from her back to gently lift her chin and gaze into her emerald pools. An angel’s tear worked its way down her cheek and fell at her feet. A second threatened to follow it, and Lynx quickly caught it as he caressed her jaw line. His heart pounded and he was wounded. The thought of doing anything that could bring tears to the eyes of this goddess, even if it was done in the name of true love, was poison to him. Now he had trouble speaking, and his golden voice was strained and horse. "I ... I'm sorry Cindy ... I umm ... didn't mean to take advantage. I just kind of got carried away. You’re just so ... so ... "

Cindy smiled as she wiped the next tear away. Suddenly her handsome prince was just a love struck little schoolboy, shuffling his feet and stammering, every bit as nervous as she was. She glanced up at him with a new found confidence and smiled, "Well? ... I'm s ... so … what? C'mon you can't leave a girl hanging there. That's the part where you fill in with umm ... so beautiful or so elegant or ... or ... "

Lynx shook his head playfully at her and quipped in return, "Or so about to be kissed again?"

Cindy smiled devilishly, "That'll work!"

Lynx granted her wish and their lips met in a powerful coupling once again. This time it was Lynx who pulled back from fear of unconsciousness. His eyes burned into hers and she could see the seriousness long before she heard it in his voice.

"Cindy ... I know you thought I would drop you at your doorstep and leave you with a memory and a kiss, but I just can't walk away. The band’s got seven more days before we have to be in San Francisco. Please, Cindy, please say you'll spend them with me."

Cindy took a step backward toward her door as if she was trying to take an emotional step back from Lynx's words. She knew what she wanted to do. That hadn't been an issue since she first saw him at the beach, but she couldn't think with her hormones now. She had to be serious Cindy, here. She was a 19-year-old college sophomore with a heavy class load, and hopes for a professional career in tennis that took every free moment she could muster. She couldn't just set all that aside to go running around California with a man she had just met, a rock and roll star who would be gone with the wind in a week. Her father would kill her. He'd kill them both!

Yet, there was the Cindy that had been awakened with a kiss, and she wanted her say in the matter. She was a sensuous spirit who had been trapped in Cindy's body just as much as her girl’s spirit had been trapped in a boy's body. She was entitled to her own say in the matter, and her vote was beginning to sway the more conservative element. She liked, no, absolutely LOVED what she felt when she was with Lynx, and not just the kissing although that was awesome, but also just the fact she was with him. It washed over her like the waves from their beloved ocean. In her life she had known great happiness and despair, but this was an intoxication she'd never found in alcohol, and she'd hoped she'd never sober from it.

Serious Cindy made a last gasp effort to counter again with her objections but Sensuous Cindy was already ahead of her, and this debate had nearly reached a foregone conclusion. Truth of the matter, she was heading into a class break, and with the exception of two meetings next week her school, calendar was clear. She would still have to get some tennis time in, but there were no matches again until the conference finals. It seemed that the Gods had sided with Sensuous Cindy this time.

Cindy looked up at a hopeful Lynx, smiled, and nodded. "Okay I'll do it ... but I still have two classes, tennis practice and my father to deal with."

Lynx only heard "Okay" before he quickly lifted her into his arms and spun her around several times until the pair nearly ended up on their bums in the flower garden.

The handsome prince finally set his prize down. "Cindy, ... you won't regret it. We'll have a wonderful time." His smile then turned to a frown as he stumbled a bit. "I’m not sure exactly where we can go or what we can do ... I umm ... really don't want a repeat of the gas station scene."

His voice trailed off again as he lowered his head. This time it was Cindy who lifted it off his chest and greeted him with a hopeful smile and mischief in her eyes. "I think I have a way for you and the rest of the band to be able to get out of that hotel room and be able to see a little bit of California in peace, AND appease my father ... maybe."

Lynx bowed to the princess before him. "Mi lady, thou surely art a sorceress as powerful as you are beautiful to cast such magic."

Cindy shook her head at the handsome Danish HAMlet. "Geez, I only said maybe, and I still gotta clear it with my father and my Uncle Bob, but I really don't think it will be a problem. Can you give me a few hours to get some sleep?, although she still wasn't sure she wasn't already asleep and this just a wonderful dream, "I'll make some phone calls? Will the switchboard let me through if I call you at your hotel this afternoon?"

Lynx did better than answer, by reaching into his jacket pocket and pulling out a cell phone. "Here ... take this. Our manager got them for all of us. They’re supposed to be state of the art or something. Just turn it on and hit HOME. It's linked to Tess's phone and we'll all be sitting up in the hotel room lounging about. So ... just call when you are ready for me to pick you up."

Cindy stared blankly at this modern miracle of communication, before she took possession from Lynx. Seizing the moment, and the girl, Lynx quickly lifted the girl back into his arms and planted a final kiss on his princess before setting her back down.

Cindy braced herself at door, and breathlessly answered. "I'll ... I'll call you."

She was reluctantly turning to go inside when Lynx called to her, signaling her to wait. He ran back to the limo like a scampering schoolboy. Opening the front door, he fished about for a moment and then put something behind his back before returning to her with the same schoolboy smile.

Stopping just short of her, he took his hand from behind his back and presented her with the lovely red rose he’d been saving for this very moment. Cindy felt her knees weaken at the sight, but it was the words that followed that made her melt.

As Lynx gave her the rose, he took her hand gently. "Cindy ... after hearing you sing the Rose today, I don't think I can ever hear that song or look at a rose without thinking of you. This flower will forever be a symbol of the magic we've shared today and I intend to give you a rose each and every day for as long as the love and magic lasts."

Cindy felt the tears welling again as the combination of the “L” word and the rose was too much. She managed a “thank you” and a light peck on his cheek, before quickly slipping past the front door. She knew if she didn't leave that very moment, she might not be able to leave him at all.

Jenna had fallen asleep on the couch, but was quickly awakened when Cindy shut the door, leaning her weight against it. As she watched, Cindy caressed the petals of the rose and closed her eyes. Tear fell in rivulets as she heard the limo pull away.

Jenna was immediately at her side and led her to the kitchen, where Cindy shared her incredible fairy tale to the disbelieving delight of her best friend, who still couldn’t believe she hadn’t recognized Lynx at first sight. At the conclusion of Cindy’s tale, Jenna hugged her best friend and her own tears mixed with Cindy’s. She was just so happy to see Cindy finally being able to experience and express the feelings that Jenna had known were there deep within the timid girl. As with any good heterosexual girl, it just took the right man to bring them out. By the glow on Cindy's face, Jenna knew her roommate had found him.

It was nearly 9:00 am before Jenna, playing house mom, shooed her little charge off to bed and told her that she needed to get a few hours sleep before Lynx saw her again, or the bags she would be packing for her holiday would be underneath her eyes.

Cindy, being the good little girl, succumbed to Jenna's mothering and quickly drifted off, not awakening until half two. The first thing she did upon returning to the land of the living was to look for the rose she had received that night and finding it in water by her bedside, knew it had not been a dream. The second thing she did was start making phone calls. The first was to her Uncle Bob, who was due home that morning and the second was to her parents. The one to her uncle went as well as she expected. The one to her parents was a bit tenser, but in the end, they came round to Cindy’s proposal, of course not without conditions. Cindy had known the commandments would be coming before she’d dialed their number and was, of course, prepared. Thirty minutes after the first two calls were over, she nervously grabbed Lynx's cell phone and rung him up.

Tess answered the phone and greeted her enthusiastically. Cindy barely got two words out of her mouth before Tess started in. "Cindy ... I don't know what you did to my brother, but ... but ... I've never seen him like this!"

Not knowing whether that was a good thing or bad, Cindy meekly replied. "I'm sorry … or you’re welcome … I’m almost afraid to ask which one."

Tess howled. "Oh girl ... there isn’t anything to be sorry about. I think it's wonderful. I haven't seen him this excited since our first big concert! He's in the other room right now with Rich and Jon. I think he's already asked me like about fifty times if you've called or not. Trust me ... I couldn't be happier."

Cindy gushed, "He's ... he's made me very happy too. You can't imagine how happy."

Tess paused before she began to giggle, "Oh I think I have a pretty good idea."

Cindy smiled when she realized that Tess not only had a direct line connection to her twin brother, but obviously she was reading Cindy quite clearly woman-to-woman. She was about to ask Tess a few questions about her handsome brother when said brother took the phone. Cindy wasted no time in telling him that she had arranged a quiet place by the beach where the band could relax and not worry about their adoring public. Her uncle had agreed to put them up in his spacious home, and as for seeing L.A., well ... they wouldn't be strolling down Hollywood and Vine, but Uncle Bob had a large sailboat big enough to easily accommodate them all and they could tour the nearby California coastline to their hearts content.

This would be the perfect parent-approved set up for Cindy as she could stay there in her own room, trucking into LA a few times for class, and since there was an onsite tennis court, she could get in her morning practice sessions as well. Uncle Bob would be the onsite chaperone, which is of course what sold Cindy’s parents on the plan. Truth be known, she wanted Uncle Bob there just as much as her parents did. Even though she had known Lynx for barely a day, she knew she could trust him. It was herself she wasn’t so sure she could trust. Just as she had during the dark times, she needed to know her uncle was close should she have need of one of their long walk and talks.

Lynx was immediately sold on the idea, as were all the Kool Kats. The group had grown all too familiar with the insides of penthouse suites all across the world, and was dying for a little sun, surf and sand. Since Lynx knew the way to Bob’s estate, he agreed to slip out with the boys and meet her there at the gate after they ditched any public and press who tried to tail them. Cindy could give directions to Tess, and she could swing by in a rental car to pick her up. They all agreed the plan. It seemed fundamentally sound and they synchronized watches as the Great Escape went into operation.
 


 
Chapter Three
The Beach
 
An hour later a smiling strawberry blonde beauty named Tess was knocking at Cindy’s front door. Cindy greeted her with a hug, then introduced her to Jenna. Jenna’s cold bug having bitten the dust overnight was wide-awake this time and hugged the well-known Miss Kitty tightly. Then resuming her role as mother hen, she told the pair they had better scurry off before the World Weekly News caught scent. Cindy took her best friends hand and said, "We can't very well leave until you’re packed, although all you really need is a toothbrush because you’ve already got clothes at the beach house from the last time we stayed there."

Jenna nearly fainted. She looked first to Cindy, then to Tess then to Cindy again. "You .. you .. mean you want me ... ME to go. Me?"

Cindy laughed and winked at Tess, "Hard to believe she's a college girl with the way she struggles with her sentence construction isn't it?"

She turned to her still shocked best friend, "Yes girl, I want you to go! You think I could really do this without my best friend at my side?"

As Jenna's eyes began to tear up, Cindy flashed her an impish grin. "Besides, you couldn't keep a secret if your life depended on it. If I don't take you with us every major network will know we are there before we can sit down to dinner."

Jenna was crying happy tears as she hugged her best friend before running off to the bathroom, frantically searching for that toothbrush and talking to herself.

Cindy looked pleadingly at Tess, "You don't mind, do you? I just couldn't leave her here all alone. She's my best friend and a really big fan."

Tess hugged her new friend. "Naah ... it's not a problem. I'm getting tired of being the only "Miss Kitty", rolling her eyes at the ridiculous moniker bestowed upon her by the press, "With three of us there. I shouldn't choke on all the testosterone for once."

Cindy laughed as she hugged her new friend, but a tiny chill came and passed at the word testosterone. Tess couldn't know, Lynx surely didn't, but questions still plagued the young woman's mind, ’Should I tell him or should I not? Am I being fair to him if I don't?" The incident at the tennis match might make the papers. Should I tell him before he finds out?’ She desperately tried to find answers for questions she'd never truly had to consider before. She was about to go where at least this woman, had never gone before, and all she could do was hope she made the right choices.

As the pair waited for Jenna to find that elusive toothbrush, Cindy, drawing as much rational thought as could find, did her best to sort it out. It was possible that she would be newsworthy material once again, but probably no more than a small story buried in the back pages of the L.A. Times, and that was worse case scenario at this point. With the band sequestered at her uncle’s beach house, she felt relatively confident that at least for now, he wouldn't find out unless she told him.

She also tried to keep in mind that it was only going to be for a week, and she had no intentions of sleeping with him. Thinking about her dreams last night, she had plenty of wants and desires, but no true intentions. If and when there was ever to be a first time for her, she envisioned it to be on her wedding night, or at the very least, with the man she was betrothed to marry. Lynx, the incredibly handsome prince who literally set her soul on fire with his touch, was probably a passing flame, destined to burn out in a week. No, she couldn't tell him, and she wouldn't. This was her week, it was their week and she wasn't going to let a ghost from the past take it away. At least for today, she would say nothing, and feel good about it.

With renewed determination, she excused herself from Tess and finally corralled Jenna, who had extended her search to the bedroom. Once they’d secured Jenna’s toothbrush and two suitcases full of what she swore was dental floss, the three lady musketeers headed off to meet Lynx and the remaining Kool Kats.

Twenty minutes later, they met the others outside the gates. Evidently their evasive maneuvers had paid off, as there were no news hounds or any screaming groupies in sight. The girl's, in Tess' jeep, and the boys in the van taxied down the drive leading to the beach house.

A tall well-built man, who appeared to be in his late thirties, but in actuality, had passed the forty-mile marker some four years earlier, stood watching the two vehicles approach from the steps of his porch. He sported the usual California tan, had thick reddish blonde locks, and soft baby blue eyes. As the kids pulled in and parked, he started toward them, waving and flashing a heart-breaking smile.

Tess caught sight of the extremely handsome older man and gasped, "Cindy is THAT … your godfather?"

Cindy nodded while she smiled and waved at the object of Tess’ attention. "Yeah, that’s him. You're really going to like him a lot Tess. He's so sweet, and really cool. He’s been like a second father to me. His name is Robert Arnold, but just call him Bob, or Uncle Bob, like Jenna and I do."

Tess drank in a longer second look, this time a very hungry one, as the handsome hunk approached. "Cindy, when you said he was your Godfather I expected to see some guy looking like fat Marlin Brando, who was gonna makes me an offer I couldn't refuse.” She licked her lips before finishing her thought. “Well ... your Godfather certainly isn’t any fat Marlin Brando, but I sure wouldn’t refuse any offer he ever made me. He's hot!"

Jenna nodded, seconding the notion. "See Cindy? I told you Bob was a babe!” Then winking at Tess, she quickly added, “Kind of reminds you of another gorgeous guy named Bob, as in Robert, as in Redford, wouldn’t you say Tess?"

Tess smiled dreamily, “You read my mind Jenna! You put him in a Navy dress uniform and it’s “The Way We Were” all over again, and oh baby, would I love to play Barbara Streisand’s part.”

Cindy laughed, shaking her head. "Geez, you guys are a bunch of letches, ya know that?

The three girls giggled in unison as the object of their attention approached the car. Cindy quickly jumped out and ran over to hug her second father. "Uncle Bob, thank you so much for putting me and my friends up for a week. It really means a lot to me, and I know they will appreciate it."

The older man hugged the closest thing he'd ever had to a daughter and smiled back at her. "Anytime, pumpkin. You know my home and my beach will always be open to you and your friends."

Seeing Jenna piling out of the back seat he waved at Cindy's best friend before he went about greeting all her new ones. As Cindy had told Tess earlier, he told everyone to call him Bob, and informed them that his home was now theirs, and for them to act as such.

The kids stowed their gear in the guestrooms. Lynx shared one room, with Rich, the big handsome blonde-haired man who was cat quick on the drums, while Jon the other guitarist drew a solo. The three girls were given two rooms but as it is typical with girls, they ending up all sleeping together in one room. A few minutes after getting settled in, the boys raided Bob's well-stocked pantry, while the girls slipped into bikinis and laid claim to the best spots on the beach to practice some sun worshiping.

Eventually Bob and the boys joined them outdoors. When the boys spied the volleyball net, they issued a challenge to the girls, and it wasn’t long before the beach was alive with spirited play. Bob was preparing to sit back and enjoy the three on three battle of the sexes, when Tess came over and begged him to do a little gender-bending and play on their team to help make up for their lack of muscle. It proved to be a wise move by the ladies, as they were able to give the boys a go of it with Bob’s assistance. The girls might even have won the final and deciding game if Tess hadn’t been serving and double faulted twice, as she was too mesmerized by Bob’s swimming trunk clad backside to have any hope of keeping the ball in play.

Tess wasn’t the only lady having a little concentration problem. Cindy hadn’t taken her eyes off Lynx from the moment he hit the sand, and Jenna appeared to be doing a little hunk gazing of her own. Rich, the 6’5 drum demon, had definitely caught her appreciative eye, and the smile that spread across the big man’s face when he lined up across from Jenna, said the feeling was mutual.

After the game, everyone crashed on the sand, and spent the rest of the early evening talking music, and the pros and cons of being a pop icon. Bob, who had planned to leave the kids on their own to do a little computer work at the house, never made it back indoors, as the gang, led of course by Tess, begged the hip dude to hang out and rap with them. Bob accepted the invitation, much to Tess’ delight, and joined their spirited discussion. When it came to discussing contemporary music, Bob was quick to admit his taste in music was old school, as he’d grown up listening to his parent’s big band records and early rock and roll. He did quickly add that he could usually find something in all music that he liked, and he would love to hear some of their stuff if they were up to playing. This brought smiles and nods from the band, who decided to do a jam session or two during the coming week.

Bob finally excused himself, saying the next day was a workday, and he'd better get some sleep. He said goodnight to all but not without noticing Lynx and Cindy's hands intertwined on the beach blanket.

Tess sighed dreamily as the reddish-blonde God headed toward the house. "If I was just ten years older, or him ten years younger, he wouldn't be making that walk alone."

Cindy shook her head and laughed. "Try twenty, Tess! Uncle Bob is twice your age."

Tess smiled back hungrily. "Yeah, but men are like fine wine. It takes them awhile to mature. Most don't know jack about pleasing women until they’re at least thirty."

That was a deliberate barb to bait the boys, and all three bit hard. In unison they cried, "Hey, I resemble that remark!"

That drew laughs all around before things finally quieted as everyone relaxed and got cozy comfy by the fire. Jenna and Rich had eventually found their way to each other, and it wasn’t long before their fingers were intertwined like Lynx’ and Cindy’s. This left Tess, who was mooning over Bob, and Jon, who was desperately trying to quench at least one appetite by stuffing himself with marshmallows, gooey and blackened by the fire.

Finally, all retired for the night, but not before both Jenna and Cindy got goodnight kisses that could have kept them warm through a blizzard. Tess sighed sadly, resigning herself to snuggle with the teddy bear she’d brought with her, but wishing it was the real life version who was sleeping only a few rooms a way.

The next seven days unfolded like a dream come true for the kids . Everyone got just about everything they wanted, including Bob, who loved having his home filled with the sounds of young people. It was something he rarely ever got, save for Cindy or Ally’s visits, and they’d grown few and far between since both girls had grown into young ladies. Cindy's godfather had been married once, quite a long time ago. Sadly, cancer stole his beloved away from him before she was ever able to give him a child, and had it not been for Cindy’s family, he’d have been a very solitary man living in a sand castle.

In the outside world, he was a software computer genius unmatched in the United States and beyond. He created programs, and solved problems for some of the biggest corporations in the world, and was a celebrity in his own right, but still a lonely man. Having the kids there for that week was like being a housefather, and he loved every minute of it.

Despite the fact that the band members were all in their early twenties, they enjoyed being kids at camp for a week with Cindy's Uncle Bob. To show their appreciation, they staged a special concert for him, and while they played a few of their hit tunes so he could get a quick education in modern music, they also put together a special medley for him. They did some really innovative arrangements of some big band and early rock tunes that had Bob up and moving with the beat. Each of the girls took a turn at swinging with Bob and he literally swept them off their feet, as he did Fred Astaire proud. If Tess hadn’t been smitten before, she was absolutely gone now, as Bob spun her across the floor, then pulled her through his legs and whipped her around his waist like a Barbie doll. One and all had a good time that night, some quite obviously more than others.

That was a special night among seven special days, but the usual routine was a bit more relaxed. Each morning Cindy would be up before dawn stretching for her work out, then hitting balls as the sun crept over the horizon. Lynx, used to working the musician shifts, had rarely seen a sunrise unless he had been up all night waiting for it, but nonetheless, he braved the morning to be there for Cindy’s workouts. Some mornings he was near comatose, clutching his coffee mug with both hands, but he still made it to the court to share this special time with the girl he seemed to love more with each passing day.

After her workout, sometimes long after it, the others would slowly begin climbing out of bed and they’d all have a lazy breakfast on the porch. Cindy was more than relieved to find no one asking for a paper, or wishing to watch the television. The boys caught a football game ( what Cindy knew as soccer, of course ), off the satellite dish a few times, but that was about the extent of it.

Usually, after breakfast was cleared away it was time to laze about the beach talking, or maybe play a rousing game of volleyball if they had energy to burn. Cindy had to sneak away twice for classes at the university.

Her return to UCLA was pretty much uneventful, as no one said much about what had happened at the USC match. Her tennis coach, however, was waiting anxiously for her in her office. Save for a single phone call to let her know she was all right; she'd hadn't discussed things with Coach Thompson since her last match. The veteran tennis mother had known Cindy’s situation going in and was extremely protective of her little star.

When Cindy arrived at her office, she smiled up at her sheepishly, like a child caught late coming in from a date. Coach Thompson smiled and shook her head as she offered her brave Bruin opened arms. Cindy took the bear hug happily then spent the next hour or so filling her mentor in. She assured her she was okay, or as okay as she could be, and was spending time at her Godfather's house and of course, practicing very hard. Coach Thompson felt compelled to tell her that this situation could, and probably would, resurface again at the conference tournament. She even opened a door for Cindy by say that if she didn't feel up to it, she could pull out and her teammates would understand.

Cindy hadn’t been walking out those doors, especially as of late, so she wasn’t going to start now. The young woman told her coach she knew this day would probably come again. She hadn't run from it before and she wasn’t going to start now.

Her coach hugged her tightly as she told her she thought she was making the right decision and she was proud of her for making it. Truth of the matter was, the older woman had never met anyone so young with such courage. Cindy had always been the most disciplined and determined player on the team, but as she walked out of the coach’s office, her tennis mentor noted that there was an air of confidence in her demeanor that she hadn’t seen before. Of course, she had no idea its name was Lynx.

With Cindy gone to school, the band usually did a little practicing while Jenna got a private princess concert each time. Jenna loved these command performances though her favorite part of course, was the impressive drum solos by Rich, which surprised no one there.

By mid-afternoon Cindy had returned and the girls would pack a lunch, and most days, head to Uncle Bob's mighty sailing ship. The lovely lady was named "Crystal" in honor of his first lovely lady, and being aboard her on the gentle Pacific was like a baby rocking in its mother's arms.

The kids spent hours off the coast; occasionally passing by a few other boats, many filled with teens who would have gone overboard if they would have known that Lynx and the Kool Kats were but a few hundred feet away. Yet disguised in trunks and bathing suits they were just more young people out boating and soaking up the southern California sun. The times aboard the sailing ship were some of Cindy's fondest memories. It was easy to see Lynx's love affair with the water. It was in his eyes and smile every time he set foot on the Crystal. Being "admiral", and the most skilled sailor aboard, he usually steered the lady, properly guiding her through the waters to keep her huge sails billowing. Cindy would co-pilot, snuggled in his arms as her love expertly guided both ladies with a gentle touch.

After the first couple of exploring the ocean waters, the rest of the gang could see that Lynx and Cindy needed time alone to explore their own waters, and usually begged off, saying they had other things to do. Cindy and Lynx knew what they were up to, and protested their absence, but not TOO vigorously.

The prince and his princess cruised the waters, and when Lynx felt he could no longer divide his attention between both ladies he would anchor the Crystal and give his all to Cindy. It was never more than passionate kissing, with an occasional straying hand, but the sleepy eyed woman who had first been awakened by Lynx's presence just a few days ago, was now wide awake and growing stronger with each passing day.

For Lynx, it was as if he'd been missing something all his life and hadn’t really known it until he’d met Cindy. Despite the phenomenal success he'd found with his music, he still wasn’t truly completed by it. Even being held in the arms of his beloved ocean had left him still wanting a taste of something more. Holding Cindy in his arms, feeling her heart beat against his, and tasting her lips was the more he hadn’t known to search for. Her essence was slowly seeping into every part of his life, making it better. He thought he'd been wide awake, but now like Cindy's sensuous woman, he too, felt as though he was emerging from a long sleep and finding her face greeting his.

The afterglow of their passion was always evident when they returned. The knowing glances given to each of them by the other young people made them smile and roll their eyes. Rich and Jenna teased them gently, but they could not say too much, as their own guilt was as clear as the lipstick often smudged on Rich’s cheek.

After an afternoon of sailing or playing volleyball, the girls usually went inside to start, dinner with Tess acting as head chef. Once loose in the kitchen, it was obvious her brother had not exaggerated “Muffin’s” culinary skills. Jenna, whose studies at UCLA included Culinary Arts, marveled at the Danish masterpieces Tess served up nightly.

When Bob would come from work, he would walk into the kitchen smiling, saying how good everything looked and smelled. More than once
Tess jumped on the opening to playfully take the compliment as personal, and then ask him if he felt the same way about the dinner. Bob would just roll his eyes, and flash that killer smile of his before being shooed out of the kitchen for trying to taste-test the dinner to death. Tess always took extra pleasure in seeing Bob enjoy the meal, and of course the girls never let her forget it.

After those sumptuous feasts, the evenings were often filled with movies from Bob's enormous DVD collection or whatever they could find on a satellite. Bob also turned the kids loose in his expansive computer lab, allowing them to surf his huge collection of games, which was far safer than surfing the waves off shore at night.

No night ended though, without a long walk along the beach. It was normally Cindy and Lynx along with Jenna and Rich, but Bob and Tess took one of their own one night. After they’d been gone for well over an hour, Tess returned, shrugging her shoulders, and whispering to the girls, "Well, I tried."

Bob blushed and was deeply touched by the compliment she had tried to pay him, but Tess was twenty years younger. She was young enough to be the daughter he and Crystal never had. In many ways she was just like Cindy, a mere child he was caring for, but he did have to admit to himself, if he couldn’t admit it to Tess, that she had touched him in a place he’d thought only his beloved Crystal could reach. Still, he couldn’t allow himself to let the spark he’d felt become a flame. He was here to chaperone these “kids”, not to seduce or be seduced by one of them. He had an obligation to Tess’ parents, even if he’d never spoken to them, and he was going to uphold it, along with her honor. Cindy was right about Bob. He was truly a good man, but sadly, also a lonely one.

While the activities of the day varied from day to day, one constant remained. Each day Cindy received a rose from Lynx. Sometimes it would be waiting for at the tennis court, greeting her before its sender could shuffle out to meet her. Other times it would pop up while sailing, or just to tease her a bit, it might appear at the end of their moonlight stroll, but just as Lynx had promised ... a rose every day for as long as the love and magic lasted, and with each passing day, both were growing stronger.

The fourth night there, Cindy begged off from her walk with Lynx and took one with her Uncle Bob. She had seen the look of concern in his eyes, and was pretty sure it was over her. Finally, she knew it was time for a walk and talk. As usual, she did most of the talking while he nodded and listened. After as much as confessing she was falling in love with Lynx, she looked to him for advice and support as she always had.

Bob wrapped his arms around her, just as he had when she was that little girl trapped in that sad little boy’s body. Standing with her now, seeing the young woman before him with a very mature problem, he had to accept she wasn’t a little girl anymore.

Pulling back just a bit to see the young goddess who was the daughter he never had, he tried to find the words. "Cindy, the answer to all this is within you. When you came to me as a little "boy", frustrated and unhappy, deep inside you knew what was wrong and what you wanted. Even before you had the courage to tell me the words, you knew. Finally, you trusted your heart, and you trusted me enough to tell me. Your big sister and I went to your parents with you and we worked this thing out. You made me understand, and you made them understand, because in your heart you always knew the truth."

He paused to regard her, her eyes threatening to well with tears. He knew he needed to go gently, so he hesitated, but she smiled bravely, agreeing with his words and encouraging him to go on.

"Cindy", he continued. "You faced living an entire year as a girl before having your surgery. You went back to the very same school because you knew that was where you wanted to be. You went after tennis with a passion, knowing full well what you potentially faced every time you stepped onto that court."

Stopping for a moment, he broke eye contact to search the stars for guidance before he began again. “Your father called me after your last match, so I already knew about what happened before you told me. I was so sorry when I heard about it. And like your parents, I wish I could protect you from things like that, but I can’t. It’s taken me a while to deal with that and I don’t always do it well, but I know you have the strength to face the world because inside, you have always known what you wanted and who you are. You have had to face and overcome obstacles in order to have the same body and life that most women had given to them at birth, and I can say with pride that you have done it well. This situation with your friend Lynx is no different than the obstacles you’ve faced to be the woman you are now. The answer is within you. If it’s what YOU want, if HE'S what you want, YOU will know it. Trust yourself, Cindy, and if you find that trust difficult to find, then trust your Uncle Bob to always be honest with you."

Sighing heavily he looked out over the moonlit waters before giving her his best once again. "Princess, I don't know if he is the right one for you. I don't know what tomorrow holds for either one of you, but I will tell you this ... love is not measured by time, or lessened by the lack of it. Crystal and I were married barely a year, but we loved a lifetime in that year. We both knew before we married that our time was short. Her cancer was already killing her then, but I knew she was the one. Inside, I knew that we were meant to be together, be it for a year or even just a few months.

“The point I’m trying to make pumpkin, is when it comes to love, we have to take what we are given, and for as long as it is ours to have. You may only have this boy for another few days, but if he's the one, and trust me, no, trust YOURSELF, you will know it, and you will know what to do. Either way, I will always be here for you."

Cindy buried her face in his chest and wept. Bob held her tightly as he had so many years ago. He rocked her until she was ready to speak, as he knew more was yet to come.

"Uncle Bob", she started. I do think I am falling in love with him. … No, I am SURE I have, but … but it's not that simple, and … and ... YOU know why."

Bob lifted the little angel's face to meet his. "Pumpkin, you are right … it's not simple. In fact, everything has been too damn hard for you, but I will tell you this ... love is never simple for anyone. It is complicated and it is scary, but if it’s meant to be, then it’s undeniable and unbelievably wonderful. I think I know the pain you carry in your heart. I’m going to assume Lynx doesn't know about your past, and you don't know if, and/or when you should tell him. True?"

Cindy dried her eyes and smiled as she nodded. "Sometimes I think you know everything, Uncle Bob."

Bob smiled then shook his head. "Not by a long shot, little one, but ...” he hesitated only a second, “I think you have no choice but to tell your young man. I’m not just saying that because it's the right thing to do, and … not just because he's probably going to find out from someone sooner or later anyway, but ... because above all else, you are an honest person. I don't think you could lie to save your own life. The truth is everything to you. It's what truly set you free and allowed you to become the girl, and now woman you have always been destined to be. You couldn't lie to yourself. You couldn’t lie to your family, and in the end you couldn’t lie to the world by continuing to live your life as the boy you never were. Right now you’re agonizing about what you’ve told, or more importantly, NOT told Lynx. Well, so far I don’t think you’ve really lied to Lynx. Let's just say you have skated by the truth, but you'll never be able to live with that for long. Even if you knew you could hide the truth from him forever, I know you wouldn’t do it, because it’s simply not in your nature. There is no doubt in my mind that if there is any future for the two of you beyond these few days, you will have to tell him, and if he’s a man worthy of your love, he will accept you without reservation.”

Cindy knew Uncle Bob was right; he always was. More hugs and tears followed before the pair returned, forcing happy smiles for their guests, but the tracks of Cindy's tears gave way the truth of the tale. Bob was right, no matter what, she could never live a lie, or live with one. Before things went too far, if they hadn’t already, she was going to have to tell Lynx.

Jenna noticed the washed out look on Cindy’s face after her return with Bob and was pretty sure what had transpired. Tess didn't know exactly what was going on, but she saw and sensed that Cindy's heart was heavy. Neither girl pressed the issue with their friend that night, as all three retired both quietly contemplating their future. Cindy kissed and caressed today's lovely rose before spooning with her bedmates and finally drifting off to sleep.

The next day started off a bit tense, as Cindy's parent's called to let her know a few reporters had caught wind of the USC incident and had come nosing about when they couldn't find her at her apartment. It was the same old questions they'd dealt with several years earlier, and Cindy's parents were now old hands at dispersing the press. Her mother said there had been no mention of the band that was visiting her at Bob's, so at least their secret was safe for now. Finally, momma’s curiosity had the better of her and she asked Cindy if she would mind if Mom and Dad came up for lunch. Cindy giggled as she listened to her mother trying to wrangle an invitation before finally just coming straight out with it. She had great respect for her parents, as she knew they wouldn't just barge in, at least normally. She knew they trusted her, but they were parents, and they were concerned about their daughter. She also knew she couldn’t refuse, and told her mother she would love for them to come.

Bill and Kimberly Fox arrived shortly after noon, greeted not only by smiles and handshakes from the group, but also from the sweet aroma of a joint Tess and Jenna creation wafting its way from the beach house. The lunch went very well and the band put together a few tunes for Cindy's parents from the melodies they had played earlier for Bob. Cindy tried to downplay the attraction she felt for Lynx, but as her godfather had told her, love is undeniable and Cindy's mother was quick to catch the glint in her daughter's eyes every time she drank in her prince.

Her parents finally left about four thirty, but not before Kim had taken her daughter aside to gently warn her to be careful. She knew Cindy was in uncharted territory, and all her mother could do now was to tell her to be darn careful sailing.

The days and nights passed quickly. Finally it was the last night they would be together, as the next afternoon Lynx and the Kool Kats would head to LAX to catch a jet to San Francisco. Their concert was set for the next night and their promoter had been leaving voice mail messages almost every hour to remind them they couldn't miss that flight.

Lynx and Cindy walked arm and arm on the beach as the moonlight and ocean set a romantic backdrop not seen since the showing of "From Here to Eternity". Lynx stopped short and drew his love toward him. Cindy surrendered easily and melted into his arms. Lynx hesitated those few seconds that he always did, drinking in the Venus before him and basking in her aura.

Cindy trembled when he hesitated, which only made him pull her closer before their lips met passionately. The kiss drained them both and they found themselves prone on the sand, gently caressing each other’s body, and fueling the burning passion that was aflame within their souls.

Just as they had the night before, they went to the very edge of the abyss. They held hands and wanted to dive into together but as always they backed away reluctantly, and the flames once again smoldered.

Once the passion had died down to a barely manageable level, Cindy snuggled quietly against her prince. She was nearly asleep in her love's arms when his words brought her wide-awake.

"Cindy", he spoke softly, “I don't want to leave you tomorrow."

The young woman blushed, still overheated from the embers of the flame they'd let smolder and from the meaning of Lynx's words.

Sadly she offered "And I don’t want you to go, but ... but ... what can we do? I mean, you gotta be in San Francisco tomorrow, or about 70,000 fans are going to be very unhappy, not to mention your promoter, and I've got school next week and the conference finals as well."

She was trying to stay calm and rational about Lynx’s departure, but it was nearly impossible. Serious Cindy wasn't running this show, and hadn't been for days. This was a heart and soul show, and hers lay bare before the man she loved. It was all she could do to keep from begging him to stay. She would find out shortly that Lynx shared her feelings, and was prepared to act on them.

"Cindy ... I know all our schedules. I know we have commitments. I know I've only known you for a week and if I had more time ... if WE had more time, then maybe ... maybe I ... I ... wouldn't be asking you what I am about to ask you now."

Cindy's eyes grew wide and her breathing stopped. She couldn’t believe, couldn’t allow herself to believe what she first thought Lynx wanted to ask. She tried to dismiss it as a Hollywood movie fantasy, and a side effect of reading too many romance novels. ‘No!’ she tried to tell herself. ‘He couldn’t possibly be going THERE.’ Doing her best to try and keep from drowning in an ocean of expectation, she held her tongue to wait for something surely more logical.

Lynx stopped just long enough to draw a breath before he started again. “Cindy it would really be great if we did have that extra time, but honestly ... I don't think another few days or months. or even a year would really make a difference. I think I knew the moment I first saw you on this beach and I think you did. too. Cindy I love you and I want us to be together always. Cindy, what I’m trying to say is umm… well… Cindy, will you marry me?”

On cue, Lynx pulled a ring box from his shorts pocket and presented it to the woman he hoped would accept it. Smiling hopefully he quickly added, "I hope it’s the right size. Tess and I snuck out of here today while you were at school and made our way to a jeweler. Actually. she’s known I was going to ask you for a couple days now. but don't be hard on her, I begged her not to say a word to you."

A speechless Cindy held the box in her trembling tiny fingers and opened it slowly. It could have been a ring out of a five-cent gumball machine and Cindy would have loved it, but this shimmering beauty was anything else but that. It was stunning.

Lynx waited for some sign of her acceptance of either his proposal or the ring, but got neither. Save for the tears beginning to well in her eyes, and the pounding of heart against her chest, Lynx would have thought her comatose.

Gently prodding her he teased gently, "Uh Cindy ... umm ... I think this is the part maybe where you say you love me too, and umm ... that I've just made you the happiest girl in the world and then we slip it on your finger?"

Cindy closed the ring in her hand, then began sobbing uncontrollably. Lynx sighed and drew her in close. "Hey, it’s okay to cry. I just really hope those tears are happy ones."

Cindy was still stricken speechless as the tears poured out of her and she shook in Lynx's strong embrace. He held her there, stroking her hair and rocking the frightened innocent that was still very much a part of her soul.

A few minutes passed, which of course, seemed like an eternity to Lynx. Cindy finally raised her head from his chest to face him. She couldn’t accept his proposal no matter how much she wanted to, and she was guilt stricken with the knowledge that if she had just told him the truth sooner, she wouldn’t have to be breaking his heart as she had to right now.

"Lynx, I love you. I love you with all my heart. I fell in love with you the same moment you did with me. The love I feel for you is like nothing I have ever felt in my life and was afraid to dream possible. I don't want to leave you anymore than you want to leave me."

Her sad green eyes told the next words before she even spoke them. "But ... I can't marry you Lynx. I just can't."

Lynx started to protest, but she begged his patience and his silence as she held up a tiny hand to stop him. "Please ... please ... don't ask me why I can’t marry you. I ... I ... know you deserve to know, but please don't ask me to face you with this. I should have before, but now I can’t. Please just accept that it’s not your fault and that ... that I do love you and I do so wish I could marry you but, but ... I can't. Lynx you have to believe me when I tell you that I'm not the woman you think I am. I deceived myself and I’ve deceived you. I beg you to just let it go at that."

Cindy could take or give no more, and struggled to feet, dropping the ring in the sand as she did. Taking one last loving look at Lynx, she finally tore herself away and disappeared down the beach into the darkness. Lynx wiped the tears from his own eyes and picked up the ring, returning it to its case. He continued to watch the darkness that had enveloped Cindy long after she was gone. It was all he could do to resist the urge to go after her, but he knew there was nothing more he could do, at least tonight.

Tonight all he could do was worry about the woman he loved and wonder how a night that should have been so wonderful and so right, could have went so terribly wrong. Walking slowly, he turned back to the house and prepared himself for a long, sleepless night.

Once she had escaped into the darkness, Cindy slowed her pace and began walking the beach aimlessly, berating herself for leading both her and Lynx on. Why hadn’t she told him sooner? Why had it taken her all this time to find the courage, and then just when she finally found it, he goes and totally ruins everything by asking her to marry him! How on Earth could she possibly tell him NOW? What excuse could she give him for such a deception? He’d never believe that she’d intended to tell him the truth when she started out on the walk with him. Telling him now would only anger him, or even worse, make him feel like a fool.

Picking up a sea shell, she angrily tossed it into the water. Again she asked herself why had she waited to tell him, and this time gave herself an answer. She’d been living a fantasy, a beautiful, everything she had ever dreamed of fantasy, and selfishly, she hadn’t wanted the truth to spoil it. The truth was that she was a nineteen-year-old post-op transgender woman who could count all her dates on one hand and had never truly been kissed. But it was also true that in just one week, she had found her soul mate, fallen madly in love with him, and he had proposed to her in the most romantic setting this side of a Hollywood movie. Of course if that’s not unbelievable enough, how about the fact that the guy was willing to walk her down the aisle just happens to be the reigning prince of rock and roll? Yeah it could happen, maybe within the pages of a Harlequin novel or in a 1940’s Hollywood creation, but surely not within the confines of real life, and definitely not to Cynthia Fox. Yet as impossible and as fantastical as it seemed, it was the truth. It HAD happened and it was all as real as the tears running down the young woman’s cheeks.

Stopping at a friendly looking spot beneath a swaying palm, she took a moment to catch her breath and collect her thoughts trying to discern just exactly what WAS real. Staring out over the moonlit waters she began taking an account. The love she felt for Lynx was very real and very true. There was absolutely no disputing that. Obviously his feelings for her were equally genuine or he wouldn’t have taken to one knee, but then things got a little less certain. Lynx was all man, in every possible way you could define the term, but could Cindy really say that when she measured herself as a woman? Yes, the mind, the heart and the soul were very much all woman, all real, all true but then came the wrapping that held the package. She, medical science’s best version of the real thing, was still a slightly flawed copy of the original, and would forever be known as a man-made woman.

Lynx was a complete man. He deserved a complete woman, not anything less. Perhaps he had thought he'd found her in Cindy, but that would all change when she told him the truth AFTER his proposal. Sure, he might forgive her, he might even respect her as some others had, but, ... could he ever trust her again? Could he ever think of her as a REAL woman? Could he look at her with the same eyes of love that she had seen just moments before, or would she see anger and hurt in them from her horrible deceit. Or worse yet, would she see pity in them, pity for the poor half-woman? At this point she wasn’t sure she really wanted to find out.

It was nearly two hours before Cindy finally made her way up the front porch steps. Save for a single light in the kitchen, it appeared everyone else had gone to bed. She was debating whether or not she should wake Uncle Bob and ask him to take her home right away. She didn't think she could face Lynx or anyone else here, tomorrow. A voice from the darkness alerted her that she wasn't alone and she'd have to face at least one more person tonight.

The soft voice belonged to Tess. "Hey girl, gotta minute?"

Cindy sighed, then spoke in a voice filled with fatigue, and hoarse from the hours of crying, "Tess, listen I don't want to be rude but"

Her new friend wasn't about to let her wiggle away and cut her off quickly. "Cindy ... I know you don't feel like talking and I guess this is none of my business, but ... I love my brother and I care deeply for you. I also know you love each other, but there's a problem, and it must be pretty big. Now I’m sure Jenna knows what it is, and I think Bob does, too, but they're a pair of clams. Look, maybe it's something I can't help you with at all, but I do know my brother, and I know he's never going to be able to accept this without an explanation. If you can't talk to him, please Cindy, talk to me so that I can talk to him."

Cindy sighed again and went over to join her friend on the sofa. Smiling through her tears she asked, “You feel like sitting on the front porch? I think were both going to need the air."

Tess nodded, took her hand and following her out. Once seated on the porch swing, Cindy took a deep breath, then started small, as she knew she was going to have to work up the courage to get where she had to go.

"Tess ... there are some things about me you don't know; things that Lynx doesn't know and if you’ll please be patient I’ll try to give you the explanation I should of given your brother when we first met.”

Tess nodded her acceptance of the terms, so Cindy started again. "Can you believe that your brother is the first boy ... I mean, man I've ever really kissed? Tess I'm 19 years old, and until I met Lynx I had never even been on what I would call a legitimate date. I guess I don't need to add that I've ... well you know ... never ... never been with a man. And NOW in seven days I meet your brother, we fall madly in love and he asks me to marry him?"

Tess squeezed her hand and nodded. "Yeah seven days is pretty fast. I mean I didn't think something like that could happen any place else but in the movies, but it has. And as for all the rest, well ... I had already pieced most of that together. What Lynx or you didn't tell me, I figured out on my own. I knew that you were inexperienced, but I couldn't help feel there was more to it than just being a virgin. I kind of pumped Jenna for a little info. and every time I did, she went clam city. Then Lynx tells me you told him that you're not the woman he thinks you are? I haven't got a clue as to what the heck that means, but I do have a feeling it's the real reason you ran away."

Cindy couldn’t play guessing games with Tess. She needed to just say it straight out, but sobs came instead of words and she started shaking. Tess immediately pulled her in close and rocked her as she had her broken brother just a couple of hours before.

Tess stroked her hair and cooed softly. "It's okay, Cindy. I'm really, really, sorry. I shouldn't have ... I had no right to push."

Cindy choked back her tears to face Tess whose eyes were welling with her own. "No Tess, you have every right, and so does Lynx. I've got to at least tell you, or I'll never be able to live with myself."

Wiping her eyes she finally found the courage to begin the tale in earnest. Over the next hour Tess sat in awe, doing very little more than nod her understanding, keeping her arms wrapped around Cindy as the young woman laid her life story out before her.
 


 
Chapter Four
Confession
 
Cindy took Tess through the earliest days when she had barely been more than a toddler, wearing Ally’s old dresses, having secret teddy bear tea parties with her very understanding big sister. She told her about the pain of watching all the "other" little girls have long lovely locks and the tears that fell from her eyes every time daddy took her to the barber for a short back and sides.

She told her about the feelings of self-revulsion she’d had every time she looked at her naked boy’s body in the mirror, and how the self-hate had only grown with age and the onset of puberty. She told her how every night she would pray to wake up a real little girl, then, when she woke to find her prayers unanswered, how she would cry and wish she had never waked up at all.

She told her how she sat alone on the playground, not wanting to play with the boys, and not allowed to play with the girls. She told of her of all the Christmas mornings her heart ached to find just one baby doll, or just one dress among the trucks and boy’s clothes she always received. She told her of the forced smiles and thank yous she’d had to give for Santa’s gifts before slipping away to her room and crying quietly.

She told of how tennis became a passion for her at a young age. It was something both boys and girls could play and while she couldn't wear those lovely white tennis dresses, she could take out her frustrations on that bouncing rubber ball.

She told Tess how Uncle Bob had figured into all this. She told her of how. when she was 12 years old and going out of her mind. She spent the weekend with her godfather. He'd known something was amiss with her for a long time and gently prodded her on one of their evening beach walks.

Once she’d started, it poured out of her and didn’t stop until the next morning. Later that day Cindy, accompanied by her godfather and her sister, had THE TALK with her parents, THE TALK she was now having with Tess.

She told Tess of the pain, the confusion, the disbelief, and the self-blame her parents went through when she first told them. She told her of the family and individual counseling that followed, where eventually her family came to terms with what Cindy had known all along. She was a girl with a birth defect, and there was no one to blame.

The technical term was transsexual, but to Cindy the term was misleading. She felt it sounded like she was a third sex, neither male nor female. It was more accurate to say she was a girl with a birth defect, the defect being having been born in the body of the opposite gender.

She told of her of the decision she made at 13 and supported by her family to begin hormone therapy and begin living as a girl, her eventual goal being to have sexual reassignment surgery to correct the defect as much as possible.

She was 14 before she began living as a girl full time and attending school as such. head buried in Tess’ shoulder, as she told her of the prejudice and hate she’d endured not only from classmates, but teachers who couldn't accept her for who she was. She told her of the newspapers, the court battles and the meetings with the school board just to get the right to use the girl’s restroom.

She told of the day her surgery finally arrived, and how they asked her over and over in pre-op if she was absolutely sure, and how she couldn’t believe they’d even ask her a question like that. Of course, she said yes and would have said anything else she thought they wanted her to say as long as they rolled her into the operating room.

She told her of her return to school and how she’d gradually earned the respect of most of her peers and teachers. She told her how proud her parents had looked when she stepped off that stage, having graduated with honors. Graduation day was a happy moment, but even after her surgery, there were still very many more sad ones. There were teammates who still refused to change in her presence, or shower with her two years after her surgery. While most of the boys had been pretty nice to her by her senior year, with a few hinting they might like to be even nicer, not one offered to escort her to the senior prom. Despite the fact that she’d come a long way, at times she was still the sad kid on that playground unable to get anyone to play with her.

She told her of going to UCLA as if it were a fresh start, and how well things were starting to go. She was playing great tennis, maintaining a B+ average, and making girl friends, but still ... no boys. The few that had expressed interest in her were clearly after one thing and she wasn't giving that up just for the experience. She then told of what had happened at the USC match and what could be waiting for her when she plays in the tournament next week.

Finally she added that after all of that, she found her Prince Charming, who, by the way, just happened to be a real prince of sorts, on the beach, He’s absolutely everything she had ever dared to dream of in a man, and more. She falls madly in love with him as he does her, and now he’s ready to ride off into the sunset with her. It’s all so perfect, save for one small detail.

How can she possibly tell him that his princess used to be known as a prince? Obviously, this is one fairy tale not destined to have a happy ending.

Tess looked out over the ocean, the tears rolling down her cheeks. She had never heard anything like this, and her heart ached with compassion for the Cindy that had lived it.

Finally, getting the courage to face her brave friend she turned and offered what she could. "I don't know what I can possibly say, other than I am sorry you’ve had to endure what no woman, what nobody should ever have to endure. I swear to you Cindy, I had no idea whatsoever, and neither does my brother, but I have just got to say this straight out.”

She took a breath, “I NEVER would have known had you not told me, AND something else. I don't care how the product got packaged at birth, there is absolutely no doubt that you are ALL woman! Heck, girlfriend, if anything, you’re more entitled to wear the tag than I am. I had the crown presented to me at birth. You’ve been busting your tail all your life just to get the chance to wear it."

Cindy hugged her incredibly understanding friend tightly as both the girls wept before Tess pulled back to start again. "Honestly, I think you have to be the bravest person I have ever met. I can't imagine enduring the pain and frustration you felt at being forced to live as a boy, being denied the most basic things in a girl’s or young woman's life. Until you told me your story, I never realized how fortunate I was to have the body and the life I've always taken for granted. I can't imagine having to fight for my very right to live as a girl and be recognized as one. At least now, I understand in a small way what's wrong, and why you ran off from Lynx. But Cindy, I’m telling you I know my brother, and I know what you and he share. I don’t think your gender situation is a deal breaker, but more importantly, I don’t think my brother will either. I really think this fairy tale can still have a happy ending."

Cindy hugged her friend tightly, wishing and hoping with all her heart that Tess could be right, but afraid to have faith that she could be. "Tess, I wish this dream could come true too, but c’mon girl, let’s be real here! I’ve been fooling myself all along that one day I could get married like any other woman. Now that the man and the opportunity have come, the truth can’t be denied. I can't escape the past. I might be all the woman I can be, but I will never quite be your equal, Tess. There's just no substitute for all the years of experience I’ve lost. You were born female but you LEARNED how to be a girl, and I missed out on all that. I feel like I’m going to be playing catch up for the rest of my life.

“Lynx deserves a woman his equal, and honestly, I can’t say that I am. Damn it ,Tess! Even if we CAN get married, and THAT might be a legal problem, I still can't give him children. And I know it goes against everything Women’s Lib stands for, but I feel that the most defining attribute of being a woman is becoming a mother. It's our gift: the ability to give life. It tears me apart every time I go by a daycare and know that I’ll never be making a contribution to their enrollment. Look, maybe someday I’ll be to accept a life without children but ... but ... I CAN’T and WON’T ask Lynx to!”

Cindy started to find her feet, preparing to run from Tess as she had her brother earlier, but Tess grabbed her hand, holding her there gently but firmly. "Hold on a minute, sister, and I do mean sister! There are a few things I need to say and I think you need to hear. First, you tell me this incredible story about a girl who fights with courage beyond belief just to be able to ride the carousel in a dress and then, when she sees the brass ring right there in front of her, she's going to question her right to be there or even reach for it? Look, Cindy ... I can understand you being scared. Marriage ought to scare the hell out of any sane woman. I can even understand your feeling like you need to step back and catch your breath a minute. If there was more time, I know Lynx would have been more patient, but I also know he’s not expecting you to marry him tomorrow at the airport before we leave for San Francisco. If he tried that, and your parent's didn't kill him, I would. I’ve got designs on being a bridesmaid one day!"

That comment at least drew half a smile from Cindy. Tess was overjoyed to see any sign of light in the darkness that surrounded her friend. Taking her second wind she started again. "Cindy ... if you need time, and I personally think you both do, I know he will gladly give it to you. It's going to be hard to spend time together, with you here doing school and him touring with the band, but HE WILL FIND A WAY TO REACH YOU. Trust me, I know my twin brother, and we do share some common traits. When he really wants something he usually doesn’t stop until he gets it, and he definitely wants you”

Cindy’s tentative soft smile told Tess that she wanted him every bit as much as he wanted her, but she still didn’t feel it was possible.

Tess however, wanted to reach Cindy, and SHE wasn’t stopping until she got what she wanted. "Secondly ... okay, so “I Am Woman”, is not your theme song. You’re an old fashioned girl who dreams of the house with the white picket fence, having dinner on the table for hubby, and being barefoot and pregnant. And you can have it all, save for the one thing I know you want most, and I’m so terribly sorry. I can't imagine how much that hurts, but… I don't see how being unable to bear children makes you any less of woman or a wife. I mean, you just told me that you think of yourself as a woman with a birth defect, and I really think that sounds a lot better than that trans-something the doctors called you, so humor me a bit here, okay?"

Cindy nodded meekly, obviously having no idea where her friend was going with this, and Tess could only pray it was the right place. "Let me ask you something, Cindy. Being born deaf or blind or missing a limb are what most people recognize as birth defects, true?"

Cindy silently agreed.

"Okay, so assuming you’d been born a genetic girl, but had a birth defect like being born deaf, blind or lame, would that have somehow stopped you from being a girl?"

“No, I guess not,” Cindy begrudgingly gave in.

Tess smiled triumphantly, having successfully reeled her prey in, now as she tried to net her, she could only hope Cindy wouldn’t find a way to wiggle out. "Of course it wouldn't, because being blind or deaf or lame doesn't stop you from being a girl anymore than it keeps you from being a person. I think it just means you have to fight harder in life to get what you want. Cindy, those kinds of defects don't change who you are inside, and neither does yours. Just because some boob upstairs packed a beautiful baby girl in a blue box with the words, "It's a boy" on it, didn’t truly make you a boy, now did it?. I mean ... hell, if it's the body that really makes our gender then ... then ... you would have been a happy little boy, and probably the captain of the men's tennis team by now. But you were anything BUT happy, because you were really a GIRL!

“Cindy, I don't know if I'm saying this right. I feel like I'm in way over my head here, but what I'm trying so hard to say is that I think you are as “real” a woman as I am, at least in every way that truly matters. And I don’t think that the fact that you can’t give birth somehow lessens you as a woman in any way.

Cindy was reeling from Tess’ words and the tears started falling again.

"Tess, you’re right, I guess I am a “real” woman. I must be, considering what I’ve gone through and how hard I’ve worked just to be known as Miss Fox. I also know that as rough as it’s been, it could have been a whole lot worse. I could have wandered around until I was forty to find the courage, or I could have taken a bottle of sleeping pills rather than to even try at all, but I didn’t. I found out what I had to do and I didn’t stop until I achieved it, but I can’t get to motherhood, no matter how hard I work or how much I wish, and sometimes that just eats me alive.

The tears began to flow in earnest as she ran a slender hand across her taut tummy, silently saying what that one thing was. "Tess ... I will never be able to feel a life growing within me. I will never be able to get Lynx up at God knows what hour, to send him God knows where, just because I’m craving God knows what. I will never be so big, so tired, and so uncomfortable, and yet be so incredibly happy. I will never know what its like to see a swirl of white on an ultrasound and know that's my baby growing. I'll never be able to hand our baby to Lynx and tell him to meet his son or daughter. I ... I ... will never be a mother."

Tess caught the collapsing girl and held her tight. Once again she rocked her until the tears subsided. She had been plunging straight ahead with Cindy all night, and as much as she wanted to just stop and comfort her, there was too much at stake to stop now. "Cindy, you're right. Save for a medical science miracle, you will never be a mother, or at least a birth mother to a child, and yes, you are going to miss out on nine of the most special months in a woman's life. I won't insult you and say I know exactly how you feel. I can't imagine not being able to be pregnant one day, but if for some reason I couldn't, then I would like to believe I would still get the chance to be something even more important than being a birth mother. I could still be a mommy!"

Cindy slowly raised her head from Tess' shoulder. The tears were still falling, but at least she was listening as Tess kept rolling. "'Cindy, I’m not trying to belittle your dream, but any girl with the right plumbing and access to a sperm donor can be a mother. It's a nine-month job and sadly for many women, they think it ends there. Many children's homes are full of kids who have mothers but never a mommy. Mothers give life, but mommies make life special. They’re the ones that love you and keep you safe and teach you what you need to know to make it in this world. Mommies are the ones you want to hold you when you are sick or frightened. They are the ones you want to see smiling proudly at you during graduation, to help you get ready for the prom, and your walk down the aisle. They are your true best friends!"

Tess then sighed softly, “Cindy, I'm glad I know my mother. I really am, but I thank the heavens every night that she was my mommy, and now, she’s my mom."

Cindy nodded gently. She’d been blessed to have a mother, a mommy and now a mom, in the woman the rest of the world just knew as Kim Fox. She’d been so preoccupied about the first job, that she’d almost forgotten just how much MORE important the second two were.

Tess saw Cindy was picking it up, so she kept laying it down. “I know there are lots of women, genetic women who can't have babies, but I don’t think it really makes them lesser women, and I definitely don’t think it makes them men. If you have the maternal instinct most women do, I’ve got to believe you don't really have to give birth to fulfill it. Orphanages and foster homes are full of little girls and boys who go to sleep each night praying that a mommy and daddy will come and take them home tomorrow.

“Cindy you can HAVE your dream, and give some lucky kid or kids theirs, too. I know you desperately wish you could create a new life, but you can still help a child who is already here build one. I know I shouldn’t speak for my brother, but I honestly think he would be totally okay with that. He loves kids, and I think he would be happy any way they got into in his life, as long as you were by his side to help raise them."

Tess's eyes narrowed, as she looked deep into those of the woman she wanted as her future sister-in-law. "Look, I’ve been on the soap box about a whole mess of stuff, but when it comes down right to it there is only one thing that matters. Do you love him? If you can look me in the eyes and tell me you don't, then I'll shut my big mouth, turn my big tail around and walk right back into that house, and never say another word to you about it. If you really don’t love him, then I can accept it, and in time I think my brother might be able to, too, but I will NEVER accept that you aren't WOMAN enough, and neither will Lynx."

Tess smiled impishly at Cindy. "So, tell me you don't love him. Go ahead. I dare you."

The smitten young woman could only shake her head and smile through happy tears. "Tess ... you know I love him. I’ve been telling you that for the last hour, and even though it's only been a week, the little voice inside me is telling me he’s the one. I think it's the same little voice that told me I was a girl when no one else would believe me. I think it’s the same little voice that told me to transition and then return to the same school rather than run away. When Lynx gave me that ring and asked me to marry him, I felt so guilty for not having already told him the truth, I became so scared he couldn’t love me once I did, and I ran off before that little voice could tell me what to do. Tess, thanks for being my ‘little voice’, and reminding of things I thought I already knew, but guess I needed to hear again.”

Cindy's auburn haired twin wrapped arms around her and hugged her tight. "Hey, that's what friends and sisters are for, and I have a feeling that in maybe a year or so I just might be both to you."

The pair of princesses’ released happy tears, continuing to hold onto each other as the last hour of true confessions had left them completely drained. They might have fallen asleep right there had they not been snatched from slumberland by the squeak of the screen door.

The third auburn haired musketeer peeked her pert nose out, smiling sheepishly. "Uhhh ... listen, guys. I don't want to intrude or anything, but in case anyone’s hungry, I just took a pan of double chocolate fudge brownies out of the oven."

Cindy and Tess uncoupled and wiped their eyes. Cindy looked at her wrist watching. The glowing timepiece told her it was nearly half past three. Her eyes went wide as she stared at her best friend. "Jenna it’s three o'clock in the morning! What in the world are you doing up baking brownies?"

Jenna, still in her nightgown, slid past the door to join her friends on the porch. "Well, when I woke up and saw that it was like two o'clock, and neither of you had been to bed, I kinda figured something was up. When all I heard was snores from the boy’s rooms, I came downstairs to find out what you two had gotten yourself into. I figured if it was good enough to miss beauty sleep, it must be something pretty awesome. That's when I heard your voices out on the porch and started to come out to join you.”

Cindy gave her best friend a puzzled look. "So, Jenna if you knew we were out here, why didn't you come on out?"

Jenna dropped her head, feeling a bit embarrassed as she spoke. "Well ... I started to, but then I caught enough of the conversation to know you were having "The Talk" with Tess and I thought it would be best if I didn't intrude."

Cindy rolled her eyes, a huge smile on her face as she quickly covered the distance to her best friend, hugging her tight once she’d reached her. "Jenna, you could never intrude, okay? Look, you were my friend in school when almost no one else would talk to the "weird little boy". You walked down the hall with me in high school the first day I went dressed as a girl and again, the first day I returned from my surgery. You have listened to me cry my eyes out for years. As far as I'm concerned, you're my sister same as Ally is and I’ve never kept secrets or anything else from either of you."

Tears leaked from Jenna's eyes as she hugged the girl who was her sister in every way that truly mattered. Tess's tears made the trio complete as all three girls were reduced to puddles.

Jenna finally dried her eyes and found her voice. "Okay then sister, since there are no secrets, I umm ... kind of did hear that Lynx proposed to you, and I kind of also heard some of what Tess said."

Jenna hesitated, but seeing no stop signs from the sisterhood. finished her train of thought. "Well Tess, I agree with everything you said about Cindy and just like she said, I’ve known her since she was a little girl in boy drag, who used to sit all alone on the playground. And despite those awful clothes, and being half bald, somehow I think I knew she was really a girl the first day we met. But even if I didn’t figure it out right away, Cindy has always known she was all girl, at least until tonight.”

Jenna turned to Cindy, showing her sister some rarely displayed fire. "Damn it, girl, I’ve know you for like what, 12 years? And you’ve never doubted yourself or backed off from anything you’ve ever wanted, so don’t EVEN think about starting now! I mean, how could you possibly walk away from Lynx? Especially now that you’re just starting to get to the good part!” She winked and smiled devilishly, "And Lynx is soooo … good."

Tess giggled and gave Jenna a high five that sent the trio into a giggling fit until curiosity finally got the better of Miss Kitty. “Okay, so now that Jenna and I have given you a swift kick in your you know what, you are going to give Lynx a second chance to propose, right? And … this time you’re going to say Y-E-S, right?”

Cindy smiled impishly as Jenna and Tess surrounded her like sisters of a secret society. Seeing they were hanging on every word, Cindy gave them a few to hang on to.

"Well ... you both seem to forget that I STILL have to have "The Talk" with Lynx, and there's his career, and my school and … I’ll have to tell Ally. She is going totally wig that I’m getting engaged first, but I know I can count on her. I always have. Of course the biggest thing is telling mom and dad."

She grimaced for real, and for effect, when she thought of breaking the news to her parents that her whirlwind romance had resulted in their little girl getting engaged. No doubt there would be some spirited discussions around the dining room table over this one. Her father would weigh all the issues, while her mother would be weighing baking ingredients, as no doubt she’d start cooking to help relieve her anxiety. Cindy often wondered how she didn’t weigh three hundred pounds with all the stress their family had endured.

Sighing softly, she continued to consider even more obstacles. "I think we should be able to get legally married in California, but honestly, I don't know all the legalities about someone like me getting married. And … I have absolutely no idea where I would stand in Denmark. But, considering all that, I guess I’ve made my decision."

Tess and Jenna could stand no more and begged in unison. "So give, already!"

Cindy took a deep breath, then smiled, really smiled for the first time in hours. "I've decided I’m hungry for those brownies Jenna made. Let's eat! Yep, I swear you're a regular Betty Crocker when it comes to brownies, Jenna."

Cindy tried to make a break for the door but was quickly cornered by two very flustered girls. "Who the hell is Betty Crocker, and what's that got to do with anything?” glared Tess.

Jenna laughed, then shook her head. "Okay, I know that look. You might as well give up, Tess, because she ain’t talking. I guess we'll just have to read about it in Rolling Stone like all the commoners.

Cindy giggled as Jenna feigned a pout before she finally relented. “Look, if he’s crazy enough to propose a second time, I’m sure not going to be crazy enough to refuse him.”

Happy tears threatened again, but Cindy was cried out and quickly changed the subject, as she shifted the light into Jenna’s love life. "So Jenna … enough about Lynx and me. Tess and I want to hear more about you and Rich, and we want to hear about it over a big fat chewy chocolate brownie."

Tess smiled, nodding uncertainly, as she still wasn’t sure who Betty Crocker was, and how she figured into this all. Cindy took Jenna by one hand and Tess by the other and headed in the front door. The three happy and hungry girls started skipping and giggling as if they were off to see the Wizard.

Over the next hour Jenna dished up warm brownies and hot details about the blossoming romance between herself and Rich. Jenna’s true confessions had her two partners ready to consider plans on a double wedding.

After finally finishing off the last of the brownies, and filling in Tess on who Betty Crocker was, the girls headed upstairs to bed. Cindy trailed her sisters ,and decided to make a last second pit stop by the restroom. As she turned the corner she was greeted by the soft sounds of a beautiful singing voice. Smiling, she crept toward Lynx’s door to eavesdrop. The lyrics immediately set her tears. It could only be one song, their song, The Rose. Knowing her sniffling would soon alert him to her presence, she quickly backed away and headed off to do what she’d set out to.

Ten minutes later she was in bed spooning with her sisters. Both Tess and Jenna were already asleep as Cindy gazed over at today's rose and wondered if after tomorrow, there would be another.

Cindy was never able to really drift off and when she shimmied out between her sleeping sisters she wondered if Lynx had either. Checking the clock she noted it was shortly after five. Ordinarily, she knew Lynx would be coming down to watch her tennis workout but after last night, she wasn't sure of anything save for the fact she had to talk to him.

At least one good thing had come from her lack of sleep. She’d figured out her plan of action, and she immediately began implementing it, slipping on jeans and t-shirt before heading down stairs. Finding a piece of notebook paper, she scribbled a message for Lynx, grabbed her sweater and headed to the court. Twenty minutes after she got up, sun was just peeking over the pines, putting gold on the asphalt when she got there. After a long loving gaze toward Lynx’s bedroom window, she placed the note on his courtside seat and headed off toward the beach.

No more than a minute after she disappeared from view, a bleary-eyed Lynx stepped onto the front porch and scanned the horizon. He hadn't slept more than hour, if that much. He couldn't stop thinking about Cindy and how his proposal had sent her running away in tears. The last thing in this world he ever wanted to do was hurt her, yet somehow he had. He’d replayed it over and over. He’d felt it was too fast, and if he'd had more time he would have waited, but he didn't want to run the risk of leaving her and losing her.

He’d expected her to be surprised, overwhelmed and scared. He was scared too, and she would have known that if she'd seen his hand shaking when he pulled the ring box out of his pocket. He understood and expected those reactions, but it was that look of deep sadness and pain he couldn't figure, and he absolutely no clue as to what she meant about “not being the woman he thought she was.” He'd spent the night trying to figure out that riddle and all he got for his trouble was a headache.

Lynx looked past the sand and out over his beloved grand lady, but her shimmering beauty brought his heart no solace this morning. It was Cindy's gentle caress his heart ached for, and he began to wonder if she would ever grace him with her presence again. Considering what had happened last night, he was tempted to load up the band, say his goodbyes to Jenna and extend his thanks to Bob for his hospitality. The last thing he wanted to do was bring her more pain by his presence, but he just couldn’t walk away. Despite her reaction, and her words the night before, he knew she loved him, and that one fact alone had kept him there. One bad moment on the beach could not take away the seven wonderful days and nights they had spent falling in love. He knew if he walked away from her now, he was walking away from his destiny.

He headed back in to the house and returned moments later with a look of resolution on his face and a rose in his hand. Taking a deep breath of salt air, he headed over to the tennis court in hopes of finding his love hammering serves as usual.

What Lynx found waiting for him when he arrived was the note Cindy had left. After reading it, he folded it and placed it in his jeans pocket. It was short and to the point. "Lynx, please meet me at our place. I will explain. Love, Cindy."

The young man breathed a sigh of relief. At least he was going to get an explanation. Turning toward the beach again he headed off at a trot to find his love and his destiny.

Lynx knew exactly where "our place" was. It was the spot that had been hers alone until Lynx wandered onto the beach and into her heart that first day. Ten minutes later he found her as he had the first time they met, sitting beneath the tree, staring out over the ocean. The only thing missing was her sweet voice, singing ‘The Rose’.

Sensing his presence long before she heard his sandals squishing in the sand, she turned and rose to greet him. Quick steps got her close and a tremendous flying leap carried her the rest of the way. Lynx had just enough time to open his arms and catch her before she planted a deep sensuous kiss on his lips as a reward. Lynx drew her in close, lifting her feet off the ground and suspending her there for nearly a minute. Finally, someone had to breath and Lynx reluctantly pulled back to find Cindy's eyes still closed as she was savoring the feeling of his body against hers.

Blowing out a breath her eyes fluttered open to meet his. "Oh God, I needed that,” she gasped.

Lynx gently set her down with a smile. "Let me come up for air and you can have seconds."

They both laughed, then stopped and their eyes met as silence fell. Lynx reached out and took her hand, all the playfulness now gone along with his boyish smile.

Handing her today's rose, he began "Cindy... ... about last night. Look, I'm really sorry. It was totally my fault. I should never have thrown something at you like that. I ... I ... don't blame you for being scared and running off. I guess maybe I just wasn't thinking clearly, but to tell you the truth ... I haven't thought clearly sent I met you at this very spot. I haven't been able to think of anything else BUT you, Cindy. I know it’s crazy. I know it’s impossible, but I am in love with you, and I really don't want to let you go. I was sure you felt the same way, but ... but if you don't, then I'm sorry. I never meant to upset you."

Cindy stepped back into his embrace and laid her head against his chest. "Oh Lynx, you have no reason to be sorry and you didn't upset me. I upset me!"

Gazing up at her beloved she gave him the words he was longing to hear. "I do love you, and I never want to let you go."

Lynx pulled her up for another lip lock before Cindy pulled back this time. "Lynx one more of those, and I'm going to be too “intoxicated” to be able to tell you what I have to tell you, and I MUST TELL YOU.”

Lynx nodded and put his lips in park as he waited patiently for whatever was more important than kissing. He could see by the troubled look on Cindy’s face that at least she thought it was something serious, maybe serious enough to run off like she did last night. Whatever it was, he was just glad she trusted him enough to finally share it with him.

Cindy squeezed his hand and drew from his strength. "Lynx, once I start talking, please don't say anything until I'm finished. I'm afraid if you do, I might not be able to get through this. I promise you though, that once I’m done you can ask me anything you want and I'll try to answer it. I ... I just want you to know that I'm sorry I didn't have the courage to tell you all this as soon as I knew I was falling in love, and … and … after hearing what I have to say, I’ll understand if you don't feel the same way about me anymore.”

Lynx’s heart ached for his love and this unknown pain that tormented her. He could see tears already threatening in the young woman's eyes. He sighed softly as he gently scooped her up in his arms. "Okay, tell me your deep dark secret, but I'm telling you right now, I love you, Cindy, and nothing you can say will ever change that."

Cindy laid her head on his shoulder as he carried her over to their spot, gently setting her down on the sand. Slipping in next to her and lacing his fingers in hers, he sat waiting for her to begin.

Cindy took one last look out over their ocean, prayed for divine guidance before she turned to greet her love. "Lynx ... when I told you I was not the woman you thought I was, I had good reason. I was born a girl with a birth defect. When I was fifteen I had surgery to correct it, but this defect was far more serious than anything you can imagine. I'm what the doctors call a transsexual. My defect … was being born a girl, but … but in a boy’s body."


 
End of part 1 of 6 - To Be continued...

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

AWESOME!

Thank you

Maggie

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

A great start

What a wonderfull beginning to this story thanks for your effort.Amy M

WOW!

I am completely awed! This is wonderful and amazing. You have caught Cindy's emotions perfectly. I am surrounded by a small mound of tissues, because of it. You just know I had to find Bette Midler's "The Rose" on YouTube and listen to it while reading this. I've read a lot of sweet and sentimental stories here at BCTS, but I don't I've every read a more romantic one than yours Maggie. What a wonderful Holiday gift you've given us! Thank you!
hugs!
grover

Maggie, good show

Maggie,

Great stuff. I can see the typical loving touches of working your on-line friends names into the story but that is where the similarity to the young child or age regression TG oriented stories end. This is clearly an adult's tale told by and for adults.

I suspect the *writer* is the USC journalisim student who's carelessness exposed Cindy's sealed records to public ridiqule.

However close to the truth or off in left field I am on aspects of the story, thank you for your hard work.

Holly, thanks for tipping us off. And, yes,the deadline is midnight on Jan 04.

It took a while for the tune to pop up in my head -- it was very late at night for me when I was reading most of it -- but the Rose is very bittersweet romantic.

You have stock in the Kleenex people, don't you, Maggie?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

The Rose

Just one word comes to mind after reading this: SPECTACULAR!

It is what we all are longing for in life. Someone that we know is the 'one'. I have had several 'could-have-beens' in my life, but not one that was truely the 'one'. Acceptance is what we all want in life. True love brings that and more.

I'm looking forward to reading more of this story. Thank you for a very passionate read.

Steve

Thanks all!

I'm so glad to see so many positive responses. I was really worried that I was out of my element trying to write a romance. I'm breaking one of the cardinal rules of writing: Never write about what you don't know. However, while I lack first hand experience in matters of the heart, I've been blessed to know a few couples who have shared the kind of love I thought only possible on Turner Classic Movies. Hopefully, you will find the rest of the tale as enjoyable as the first few chapters. Thanks again for all your words of encouragement and praise. Hugs and love Maggie

*gasping*

Oh god ... this is just totally breathtaking! I'm totally blown away by this amazing story. It's just so beautiful and touching. I can so totally connect with Cindy in so many ways. Thank you so much for sharing such a sweet, tender story.

{{{warm huggles}}}


Heather Rose Brown
Writer--Artist--Dreamer

Good on you

I know you were good the first time I saw one of your story's. Even though you introduced 'nanites' and 'instant transformations' in it :)

the way you wrote captured my imagination and I can only see you becoming better. I quite understand that the 'gender question' is what takes up your time for the now.

You should understand that wherever you feel you are for the moment just are another steppingstone for your further advancement, that means that your focus allows you to write about whatever you like actually, as long as you keep honest to yourself.

I'm expecting great works from you in the future.

Cheers
Yoron.

MaggietheKitten - The Rose (Rose)

While this story has few Kudos, that is likely due to the fact it was posted in 2007, long before the "good story" button existed.
For those who arrived at this site somewhat later than 2007 and who have not had the opportunity to read it, I heartily recommend it.

One caution though... before you read - head out to the store and stock up on boxes of kleenex.

This story is powerful and well written, although I would expect no less from MtK.
I myself would have missed it, if it hadn't been for a freind who asked me if I had read it.

I said I didn't know what she was talking about so she pushed me in the right direction. I'm glad she did.
I shall continue to read.

The story is powerful, pertinent, and deceptive in both it's simplicity which actually turns out to be far more complex than it seems initially. It is a story you are unlikely to forget and one which will make you think.

Renae

Sometimes . . .

you're just out for a walk on the beach, look down and find a jewel - I did, one written 9 years ago, but having an aura of timelessness about it. Very nice, M'Lady, verrrry nice! You have a way with words that pulls at my heart and inspires me, truly.
"and she wasn't about to send her Prince Charming packing by telling him the princess he was adoring had once been a fellow knight, or at least wearing the armor." Absolutely priceless! :-) :-)
And since 9 years have passed, I don't even have to wait impatiently for the next chap
Whups - bye!