Eve - Chapter 33

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 33
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
Previously:

 
Eve's mum is back out of hospital and now it's serious talking time, but will everything come out?
 
Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 33
 
 

I followed my aunt into the lounge, closing the kitchen door behind me then sat opposite Mum. I knew from the length of time I'd been in the kitchen that there must have been plenty of talking, or at least listening, in here. I wasn't certain what would happen so I folded my hands on my lap and waited. Aunt Sue spoke first.

"Eve, as you'll have gathered we have all had a chance to air our views. I asked Sharon to stay as she has known both you and your Mum for many years and is better placed than me to give an independent view on each of you. I have not asked her at anytime to spy or divulge anything that might be deeply personal, only to give an overview of how you reacted to things happening around you.

"As you know, we've been concerned about you, but not just since you were taken into hospital six weeks ago. We all knew something had been wrong since you were born but couldn't place it until very recently. We told your mum our concerns but that is where the next problem began. Debbie, can you take over?"

"Eve, believe me, I never wanted to harm you. Sharon and Sue told me that something was wrong, they saw issues and changes in you that I couldn't, or wouldn't, accept were abnormal. I thought that, finally, my wishes might have been coming true."

Mum stopped at that point and hung her head, I stabbed a guess at what her wishes were. Sue, who was next to her, handed Mum a tissue from a half empty box. I was feeling parched so put my head through the kitchen door and asked for some glasses of water. I sat back down, Mum had composed herself and grasped that tissue as if it was a life or death situation.

"Eve, I should be angry for what happened the other afternoon but it took that much for me to realise what you went through in hospital, the tests, the uncertainty. I now know that life's too short for grudges and secrets. I promise we will work through this together."

Claire brought four glasses and a jug of iced water into the lounge then returned quickly to the kitchen. I poured the water and waited for each of the adults to take a sip.

"Mum, I was scared. I am scared what is happening to me, but I am more scared what is happening to you. I know we said some nasty things to each other on Wednesday, but it was because I wanted you to get the help you needed. I didn't expect you to end up on a hospital trolley though."

I was reaching for my water again but my hand was shaking. Sharon came over to me and gave me a hug, before returning to her own chair. I walked over to Mum and held her hands. We sat there for another minute, oblivious to Sharon and aunt Sue's presence. I didn't know what to say next so I just held Mum's hands.

"Eve?"

"Yes Mum?"

"Dr Masters wants to see me again, he says he wants to help me, I know I need help." She burst into tears. I wrapped my arms around Mum and hugged her. My aunt brought a few more tissues over and we dried our eyes.

"Mum, if you need help then we'll work through this together, right? We have friends who'll support us, but what's done is done, we can't undo the past. Even if I wanted to be Simon again, I don't think I could, not now. We need to move forward."

"Eve, my daughter, that is very profound, but you're right. I'm sorry for what I've done, and I promise you and me will work together. No more unilateral decisions?"

"Agreed."

I gave mum a kiss and sat down again, sipping my water.

"Debbie, that wasn't difficult, was it?"

"Sue, thank you for being here, you too Sharon."

"Ladies, if you're hungry, lunch is served." I opened the kitchen door. The smell of the chilli con carne hit everyone, a glance at the hob told me that it was now off the heat.

"Chilli?"

"Not yet, a good chilli takes more than half an hour!" Mum smiled recognising the words from a few days ago, the others looked at us blankly. "We've put a ploughman's lunch together for now, please serve yourselves."

It was Mum's turn to pick at her food, but at least she was back home. I waited until we had finished with our plates before I gave Mum the next important bit of news. I was not sure at all what she would react; I needed Claire and Sharon with me so I wasn't trying to explain on my own.

"Mum, we said there would be no secrets."

"Yes?"

"Claire and I have been sleeping together for the last three nights." I pulled Claire closer to me.

"I know."

"Oh."

"Sharon told me yesterday morning. She came to see me while you were at the doctor's surgery. I was wondering when you'd tell me, but I can't say I'm happy, or surprised."

Aunt Sue had sat open mouthed. She knew I loved Claire deeply but this was obviously news to her,

Annie excused herself during this conversation and headed to the kitchen. A few minutes later she returned with a tray of tea cups and a steaming teapot.

"So, what do you intend to do?"

"What, how?"

"Sleeping arrangements?"

"We haven't discussed it. The last three nights just happened, because of circumstances. If it's alright I'd like Claire to stay here with me tonight and maybe we can talk about it later?"

"Sharon, is that okay with you?"

"If that's what the girls want, and they keep their promises."

Eventually everyone left, leaving just the two of us. Mum showed me her discharge letter, the main issue was her continuing appointments with Dr Masters. The seizure was diagnosed as being connected to severe sudden stress, our argument was just the trigger. Mum had been given a two week supply of anti-depressants and ordered not to get wound up, but to talk - and listen.

I sent Mum up to the shower. She hadn't moaned about her skirt and put it back on when she returned. I looked at her as she came down the stairs, her only comment was that it was "comfortable." She'd put some better make-up on and now looked good on the outside, I hoped the inside matched.

I went upstairs to also have a shower. When I returned to the kitchen, having put a skirt on myself to replace my jeans, I found Mum leaning on the sink sobbing.

"Mum, it's alright."

"Eve, I'm scared."

"Mum, I'm here for you, just promise that you'll be here for me." I reached out to hug her then I started crying as well. Where's a box of tissues when you need one?

Mum stripped off her rubber gloves and left them on the drainer, I now had two damp patches on the back of my top. We walked back into the lounge, sat next to each other and found the tissues. I figured it was my turn to say something profound again.

"Mum, we're not the same people we were six weeks ago. That doesn't just mean that Simon has gone but I've grown, I've developed, physically and mentally. I'm stronger now, but I'm also fragile, if that makes any sense? My life has been turned upside down and so has your's, we have both suffered medical trauma, abuse, legal intervention and, in my case, unexpected love. Is it any surprise that we both ran a little off the rails? But don't expect those men in white coats just yet."

Mum had to laugh at that one. We just sat and talked, I made mum tell me everything that had happened after she woke up in the hospital. Just by reliving the experience I could see that she had been petrified.

"I kept wondering what would happen to me, that's the worst part. No-one tells you anything."

"Yeah, I know that one."

"So, what about your adventures?"

It was now my turn to explain the past few days. She smiled when I told her how I'd stood up to the security goons but questioned my wisdom in starting the argument in the first place on Wednesday morning.

"Mum, it's done, please don't try and analyse the past as we can't change it, only learn from it."

For no good reason I suddenly remembered the washing machine. I'd last seen it at nine this morning so I got up and dashed to the utility room. There was one load spinning, one load ironed and, looking out the window, I could see a third load blowing in the wind. There was nothing waiting to be washed. The girls!

On the way back I picked up the calendar from the kitchen and suggested mum put her appointments on it.

"Eve, have you forgotten something?"

"Hmmm, like what?"

"It's the girls' birthday on Friday."

"Oh damn."

"We'll sort something out. Now, what about dinner?"

"Can I get Claire over, and I'd like to open that bottle of red?"

"I don't see why not. That letter says nothing about not drinking and one glass wouldn't hurt anyway. Go and get Claire, I'll warm the chilli and get some rice started."

The rest of the evening was warm and very comfortable. Claire, mum and I made small talk, Mum had evidently fully accepted that Claire was now very much a part of me. Claire and I changed into our nightwear, cuddled and watched the dancing on BBC1 before heading upstairs for some serious cuddling.

up
292 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Great Reset

Evidently, things are going to be different from now on. Everything mum and (now) daughter know about each other is now in the open (with much of it also shared with Claire). There'll probably be few more surprises from mum, but there may be further revelations about Eve's anatomy...


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!