Rules Are Rules: 5. The Adults Work It Out

Printer-friendly version

"So what happened to your nephew Mark?" Denise asked. "Did Marcie come instead?"

"Yeah, sort of," Jane replied, laughing. "It's a funny story–"

Before she could start, I blurted out, "I'm Mark. I'm her nephew Mark."

Rules Are Rules: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
5. The Adults Work It Out

 

Denise answered the door in her bathrobe. She had been sick with the flu, she explained. "I'm fine now. And I'm not contagious. I'm just a little snuffly and tired."

She let us in, washed her hands, set some cookies on a plate, and started boiling water for tea.

Jane introduced me as her niece Marcie, but before she got any further, I took the lead and asked Denise whether she really was the principal's secretary. I was getting a little tired of not being able to speak for myself.

"Sure I am," Denise said. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well, uh, my aunt said you were, but..."

Denise grinned. "You figured that since she said so, it probably wasn't true, right?"

"Hey!" Jane objected. "That's not fair!"

I ignored the jab. "Uh — there was a Ms. Trujillo in the office today..."

Denise nodded. "She's just a sub from the district. I'll be back at work tomorrow."

"Oh, good!" I replied.

"So what happened to your nephew Mark?" Denise asked. "Did Marcie come instead?"

"Yeah, sort of," Jane replied, laughing. "It's a funny story–"

That's when I jumped in. As I said, by now I was fed up with being cut off before I could tell anyone that I'm a boy, so before Jane could say another word, I blurted out, "I'm Mark. I'm her nephew Mark. There is no Marcie. Only me. Mark."

At first Denise didn't believe it. The fact that Aunt Jane kept laughing didn't help, because it made the whole thing sound like a joke. Each time I insisted it was true, Jane scoffed and laughed and told Denise not to believe me. In the end I think it was my desperation that convinced her.

But what really sealed the deal was when I told her about Mr. Bruce's obsession with gym uniforms. She stopped short and said, "Oh, no... he didn't. Did he really? Oh, no..." And when I pulled the silly outfit from my bag, Denise's face went white. She sighed heavily.

"Oh, my God," she said with a frown. "I've seen that thing once or twice before. Last time was a couple of years back."

Jane took the outfit from me, shook it out and felt the material. "Wow, this thing is butt-ugly," she observed. "Where on earth did he find this relic? It reminds me of a Victorian bathing suit! And it feels like... ugh... the cheapest kind of polyester." She turned to Denise. "How can he get away with this? Don't the parents complain? I'm surprised nobody's sued him." She shook her head and shoved the outfit back into my bag. "Is this some crazy kind of kink of his?"

Denise gave an offended look. "Jane! You know him! He's a nice guy! A nice, normal, decent guy!"

"Yeah," Jane acknowledged. "But still... in this day and age..."

"Anyway," Denise told her, interrupting, "The principal doesn't condone it. I guess he turns a blind eye, because he and Bruce fought about it for years. And Bruce should be retiring soon. When he does, the whole issue goes away. For the past couple, maybe three, years, no boy ever forgot his gym clothes. So I guess the threat worked, and before that, I guess none of the boys ever told their parents. If they had, it would have been the end of it."

Jane didn't know what to say, she she gave a hmmph! Then she looked at me. "Alright. Now, back to your story. So, you had to wear that silly thing for gym class. Then how did you end up wearing all this?" She gestured to what I was wearing.

"Well... I had to take gym class with the girls," I began. I explained about Mr. Bruce's mix-up with the name, which prompted Jane to explain exactly how Marcie Graylen and I were related, and then...

"So it turned out that Mr. Bruce had a stroke, and now he's in the hospital," I told them, and the two women's jaws dropped. "What!?" they exclaimed together. Denise jumped to her feet and ran to look out the front window.

"Donnie Bruce is in the hospital?" my aunt demanded.

"I don't know his first name," I replied in a cautious tone, "but Mr. Bruce had a stroke and went to the hospital today."

Aunt Jane looked to Denise, who was still standing by the front window. "Is Alice home?"

"I don't think so," Denise replied. "Her car's not in the driveway."

"I'll try to call her," Jane said, and turning her back to us, walked into the kitchen.

I sat there for a moment, looking at the two of them. They both seemed to have forgotten I was there. So I walked over to Denise, because she seemed to be the sensible one.

"So what do I do?" I asked her.

She frowned a moment. "About Donnie, you mean?"

"What?" I replied. "No, about me. What do I do tomorrow? Can you fix it?"

Denise sighed and ruffled my hair. Jane emerged from the kitchen, poking at her phone. "She doesn't answer. I'm sending a text."

"Oh, Jane," Denise said, "You're my friend, I love you, but you just make things so crazy. How do you do it?"

Jane shot a defensive look at Denise. "What are you talking about? I didn't do anything," she said. "How can you say that?"

"If Mark had started school on time, he would have known about Bruce's fixation, and he would have been ready for gym this morning."

Jane retorted, "When you say it like that, it only *sounds* like it makes sense. There isn't any cause and effect here. This is just the way things turned out. It's just a series of strange coincidences and weird luck."

"Whatever!" I cried. "I don't care who did what, or why or when, or how it might not have happened! At this point, I just want a way out. AND, I need to get my hair cut short today, really short, before the barbers close."

"Okay," Denise said. "I'll be back at work tomorrow, and we will work it all out. Come to school tomorrow dressed normally, as a boy. Come straight to the office and we'll talk to Principal Bryant together."

"I can't come," Jane commented. "I have to work."

"Maybe it's better that way," Denise said, laughing, and Jane stuck out her tongue in response.

"Come a little early, like a half hour early," Denise told me.

"Can you just say that Marcie called to drop out, and quietly put Mark back in?" Jane asked.

"First off," Denise replied, "I never put Mark's drop through the system. So he's still enrolled. I tried to call you Tuesday, but couldn't reach you. I even tried, sick as I was, on Wednesday, but of course I couldn't find you.

"Anyway, if Marcie doesn't show, I'm sure Bryant will want to call or visit her home to make sure there are no bad feelings or serious problems. Plus, I don't like to do underhanded stuff. Especially when there's no need to. You know that. It's best to come clean with Bryant. He's a good guy.

"And *I* can cut your hair, Mark. I have some clippers somewhere in the house. If all you want is a crew cut, I can buzz all the hair right off your head. Okay?"

That sounded great to me. I was glad that Denise was finally in the picture. Clearly, my aunt was a flake, like my mother said, and I couldn't rely on her to be the adult. Denise, on the other hand, was a responsible adult, and she at least, had my back.

Denise took another look out the front window.

"You always were the sensible one, Denise," Jane complimented. "I knew you'd work it all out. But there's another alternative I think we ought to explore..."

"And what alternative is that?" Denise prompted.

"What if Mark remains Marcie?" Jane asked. "For the rest of the semester? After that, he goes off to New Jersey, and no one will be the wiser."

I rolled my eyes. Of course, my aunt had to get some last cracks in. As long as she could joke about this, she would. But I knew Denise wouldn't go along. It was too crazy and silly and stupid. Denise would never. I looked from my aunt to Denise, and then it was my jaw's turn to fall.

Imagine my surprise and alarm when I saw Denise's thoughtful frown turn slowly into a laughing smile.

"Well," she said thoughtfully. "He does make a cute girl."

© 2006, 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
241 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh Mistress of the cliffhanger—

—you are in the same class as Angharad, and
It's driving me POTTY!

Hugs,
Gabi.

PS. Did you hear about the psychiatrist who kept his pushing wife under the bed?

He thought she was a little potty!

It's all right, I'm going——
Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

I have to admit, after all

I have to admit, after all the comments, even I was distressed to see how short this one is...

But do you know how crazy people get to the woods?

They take the psychopath!

Nothing is driving you....

Angharad's picture

....potty, Gabi, the urge is innate, innit?

Hugs

Angharad

Angharad

Rules

Shouldn't we make a rule that on a finished series it shouldn't take 100 days to get to see it? How about 50? 100 days is like a 1/3 of a year. At this pace we all will be bonkers for the story.

Again we just start getting into the story and it's done. Are we a tad impatient? Nah! It is just the emotion is running away and soon it will no longer function and won't be able to become an emotion for it has been teased for so long it no longer cares.

Great chapter dear, for a minute I thought Mark was going to get his way and he would end up with a crew cut. He sure would have look like a butch girl then.

Keep up the good job.

Hugs
Joni

What a wacky story.

But, it is fun and for once a forced fem kid gets to go back to a boy. Right???????

No, you wouldn't. Would you ?????????

Gwen

What a wacky story

Gwen,
Thank god the story is already finished, here you go giving her ideas. OF course she would!!! Sheesh she's an author.

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Nothing in Life is Free; if the cost is not monetary it will be physical, emotional, or spiritual.
Rachel Anne

Short chapters, good stories

Wonderful, fun, funny, intelligent...
It doesn't *need* improving! The best taste treats are dainty. tiny mouthfulls.
Thank you!
Michelle

cool

Thats cute. He should stay as marcie

I'm anxious to see ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... what reason Jane gives for keeping Mark as Marci. I hope it isn't the old, "Well you know how much you used to like wearing my clothes." or somesuch. I am enjoying the story and am happy that so far there has been no mention of prior TG or CD with Mark.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Mark is not thinking really

Mark is not thinking really hard right about now. All he is hearing is he should stay a girl even when he is demanding he get s boy haircut and go back to school as a boy. Apparently, he doesn't understand that he was seen "up close and personal" at school and he will definitely be "outed" and castigated as a crossdresser. That will do more harm to him than just remaining a girl. J-Lynn

Rules are Rules 1-5

I do not usually like stories that are broken up into small parts, but this one was suggested to me by Sarah Morgan, and she was right. It is a good story. Even though I think that Mark is a little 'out there', because he does not seem to think much about anything that is going on around him, I still just love him. I love his aunt, and I loved the idea of him being caught at school in a short tenis skirt!

This is a good story Kaleigh way, and I am downloading the rest so that I can read it all at once!

Amy

That Sarah Lynn!

She's one smart cookie! (And a good friend.)