Eve - Chapter 24

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 24
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:
 

Eve and Claire didn't get their day in court. Eve sent her tutor away.
 

Now the story continues.
 
 
 
 
Eve Chapter 24
 
 
 

We arrived at the hospital a few minutes early for my appointment with the Gender Identity specialist. Dr Fox met us in reception and introduced us to Dr Preston but did not go into the room with us, closing the door behind her.

"Good morning ladies. Eve I presume."

"Yes."

After a few minutes he asked mum to leave the room. I wasn't sure about some of the questions but he was making notes even when I gave silly answers to silly questions. He then asked mum to come in and I was to wait outside, Dr Fox was waiting there.

"So Eve, how did it go?"

"It was alright. No worse than your interrogations."

"Fair enough."

I was called back in, this time Dr Fox came in as well.

"Eve, from the moment I met you I saw a confident young lady, I still do. I know you have been under Dr Fox for a month and I also know you have made your mind up, but it has only been a month. I'd like to see you again on Friday afternoon, just you, okay?"

"Dr Preston, I'm not happy with my daughter being here unescorted."

Dr Fox interjected, "Mrs Jones, I will be here with Eve. You come here if you wish but we'll only need Eve for the session."

We left an hour after we'd arrived. There was plenty of time before our appointment downtown. Mum had an idea as we reached the car.

"How about we go to that furniture store on the retail park?"

"The huge one?"

"Yep."

We pulled into the carpark twenty minutes later and walked into the warehouse, staring at the signs until a young man with a name badge arrived.

"Can I help you, ladies?"

"Yes, bedroom furniture please."

"Up the stairs and left at the top."

"Thank you."

Half an hour later we'd identified a small dressing table and long mirror that would suit my room. We accosted another member of staff and arranged for payment and delivery as Mum's little car was not up to the job. We walked across to the curtains and bedding, picking up a new set of each for my room. Those we did take with us.

We called into the mega Tesco store and intended to pick up just a few things but ended up with a trolley full of food and other bits. Since this was one of the larger stores they did a good clothes range as well. I gained some school style skirts and trousers, a body warmer and a winter coat. We also bought some hot chicken and fresh rolls for lunch.

We'd finished lunch by one and mum sent me up to change, ready for the afternoon's meeting. "Wash first and take all your make-up off."

Mum had told me that if I was to make a good impression as a school girl, I should appear as one, including not overdoing my make-up. I figured that as I was in the sixth form, where there was no school uniform, I could wear what I wanted to, but apparently I was wrong. Where was Claire when I needed her?

We parked up in town just before two and walked round to Mr Dixon's office.

"Please come in. I've asked Mr Davis, Chair of the Governors, to join us in fifteen minutes, in the meantime I'd like to talk about the main issues."

"So we get the story straight?" I offered.

"Quite Miss Jones, but I wouldn't normally put it like that."

"So what approach will we take?" Asked Mum.

"I believe the accident at the school is just that, an accident. We could argue that the stress of being told Eve was female, according to their records, was relevant but they would contest that the tumour caused her collapse. In any case, Eve has decided to become female since then."

"That is reasonable."

"Now, the other aspects concerning the school are more serious. Firstly it has been accepted that student records for both Eve and Miss Johnson were accessed then distributed without appropriate authority. One member of staff, who has since resigned, was identified as being responsible. The second issue with the school is the campaign of harassment that involved the bursar plus several students. The school has a duty of care to protect the students, and it failed to do so in yours and Miss Johnson's cases."

Mum and I nodded.

"I've received an update from the hospital. It seems that David Stevens Snr has missed several shifts and they are preparing dismissal papers. The Chief Executive has taken over this case and is reportedly angry. He wishes to apologise for the distress caused and has offered to send a cheque for £5,000 in compensation. We could argue but I believe it is a fair and reasonable settlement."

Mum wanted to appear calm, at first, I just had a broad smile on my face.

"I'm not satisfied, Mr Dixon. My daughter has suffered harassment over several weeks by this man, using confidential hospital records. The out-patients appointment cancellation was just the last straw. If they've made an offer before any formal request has been submitted then they plainly want to see the back of it. I believe they will offer more, otherwise could take this complaint further, and out of their hands."

"I'll put your view back to the hospital trust but I can't promise anything."

"Okay."

There was a knock on the door. Two gentlemen walked in.

"Good morning Frances, Harold."

"Mrs Jones, Miss Jones, may I introduce Frances Davis, Chairman of the Governing Body and Harold Spinner the Head Teacher, who I believe you both know."

We acknowledged the two. I thought I saw a wink from the Head.

I quickly got the impression that our solicitor and Mr Davis knew each other well.

"Frances, how are we going to sort out these problems?"

The school governor addressed Mr Dixon, "John, we reviewed the accident report and saw that the school was not culpable and we hope you see that the same way."

"My clients have accepted that they do not blame the school for the accident."

"Thank you. Regarding the release of confidential information and the misuse of the school computer system we interviewed Ms Anne Holts. Without waiting for the outcome of our investigations she has resigned. We will leave it to the LEA how they follow up any remaining employment issues."

"So does the school accept responsibility for these actions?"

"We do, regrettably. We are in the process of implementing safeguards to prevent this from happening in the future, it seems that other schools in the district have already made the necessary changes. It appears we were not directly informed of the need. That is a related issue, one which is not directly relevant to this meeting."

"So this could have been prevented?"

"I wouldn't say that as such, but we should have been able to identify any problems earlier and for that we must apologise."

"Now, what about the harassment at the school, both to my clients present and my clients who cannot be here?"

"Again, we believe that we could have dealt with Mr Stevens sooner if the right information had been available. I'm afraid I can't elaborate further but please let me assure you that the revised anti-harassment policy is strict. Future attitudes, such as the one that Ms Johnson encountered, will not be tolerated. To that end we have permanently excluded Mr Stevens."

"There was another boy involved in the incident with Ms Johnson."

"Indeed and we have reviewed his case carefully. Certain undertakings have been sought and received and whilst he is under threat of exclusion he has returned to school following suspension. He has no more chances. Please forgive me if I don't mention his name, under our confidentiality rules."

"Thank you Frances. Harold, would you like to say anything?"

"Thank you John. Firstly I'd like to say that I am looking forward to seeing Eve back at school. Whilst I must accept that the school is partly responsible for the some problems you have encountered I'd hope that you can return soon."

"Mr Spinner, I am looking forward to returning, but I believe we have some issues to discuss before then?"

Mum spoke, "Mr Spinner, I'd agree with Eve. Can we meet with you when we're finished here?"

"Certainly, I'm not due back at the school today."

"All, thank you. I believe we have dealt with all bar one issue. The question of compensation."

"John, do you feel this is necessary?"

"Frances, my client has had her character dissected across the school as a result of lax policies that have only been changed because of her problems. If my clients insisted, this could become a criminal matter too."

"John, obviously I need to discuss this with the relevant governors. Can I get back to you?"

"Certainly. If that's all?"

We all thanked Mr Dixon and left his office with my headteacher in tow.
 

up
296 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

offered a early settlement ?

I agree that the main reason they want to settle is to avoid the publicity, but we'll have to see if there's a second higher offer.

DogSig.png

A very normal legal procedure

A very normal legal procedure when acknowledging wrong doing, or that you were culpable in some action; is to throw out an offer of recompense, but "low balling" in hopes of an immediate agreement.
I applaud Eve's Mum for seeing that and rejecting the offer. As she said, Eve could very probably "own" the school if it went to court. Hoping Eve gets a real offer now and it is one that actually does her justice based on what has happened to her.