Take Three Girls Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Take Three Girls
Part 4

Take Three Girls 2.jpg

Take Three Girls

Take Three Girls. This is about 2 girls and one woman (myself) and their very different route to become the women they knew they should be. It was going to be called Take Two Girls, but an on line friend (she knows who she is) and the girls bullied me into the name change. Some poetic licence has been used to help the flow of the story but not very much.

In this chapter I carry on with Kate’s story meeting her stepbrothers and finding out more about her life - which has not been an easy one!

**********************************

Next morning I was up early Kate was still fast asleep so I left her until just after seven. Somewhat grumpily she went to the bathroom to get ready while I got her clothes ready.
Over breakfast she asked me what I was doing during the day, I explained that today was my ‘proper’ workday and I had some reports to finish she asked what they were about and I told her that I was an engineer.
As the school was some distance away I told her I’d drive her there and pick her up at 3:30 when school finished. I asked if she was ok with this to which she answered, “I suppose so.”

Now I remember from when I was at school I hated getting picked up so I suggested that she walk to McDonalds and I would meet her there about four. She was a lot happier with this so this was the deal.
I checked her before we left; the clothes we bought were very androgynous but still decidedly female.

I tied her hair back in a male style ponytail using an elastic band and we were ready. Then I remembered her lunch in a panic I asked her what she did for lunch. “Nowt” was the reply so I tried another tack, “what would you like to do for lunch?” “Dunno” so I said “How about a packed lunch or a chip shop?” “Bag of chips aunty Av” so that was organised. (God it’s hard work when you’re not used to kids!”)
After dropping her off it was back home and starting work on the report I was finishing.
June phoned to see how I was getting on then Jan but eventually it was completed and emailed to the recipients. I went to the supermarket then I reached McDonalds just before 4.

Getting a coffee I sat and waited, keeping an eye out for her. “Hi Aunty Av this is Marie do you like my hair? Can we have a milkshake?” as usual all in one breath.
“W, w, what have you done to your hair?” I squeaked, “Oh my God!” I gasped.

When she left this morning her hair was pulled straight back from her forehead in a loose ponytail. Now she had a fringe with wisps of hair framing her face, she had a high ponytail it was a very feminine style. “Me hair’s great innit aunty Ave Kirsty did it at lunchtime.”
In a daze I passed them some money for a milkshake and in a state of shock watched them heading for the counter to all intents and purposes two teenage girls.

When we got home Kate went to change out of her school clothes while I made out dinner a simple meal of pasta and garlic bread with fruit for me and fruit and ice cream for Kate, when she came downstairs her hair was down and with the fringe she was all teenage girl.

I had to ask her, “Kate why did you get your hair cut?” She grinned up at me telling me, “So I don’t look like a boy anymore – and it’s worked hasn’t it?”
I shook my head in amazement sighing, “Oh Kate you’re going to get me into so much trouble.”
She was playing with my dogs while I was cooking then she looked up saying, “I like it and I don’t care what anyone says!”

We has our dinner and were clearing away when the front doorbell rang – wondering who was visiting me as I certainly wasn’t expecting anyone.
I left Kate in the room and answered the door. Standing on my doorstep were three very large men, well two men and a lad about 16 or 17.
All had skinhead haircuts and the bigger two were covered in tattoos I was a bit afraid as I asked, “Yes? Can I help you?” The guy at the front growled, “Are you t’sex woman?”
To say I was taken aback was putting it mildly, “I beg your pardon?” I asked shocked. He started to speak again when a tornado hurtled past me “Carl; Pete; Wayne Oh am I glad to see you how’s me mam how you find me this is Aunty Av!” as usual all this was said in just one breath as she was hugged gently by these monsters.
“Aunty Av they’re me bruvvers can they come in?” “Errrr yes I suppose so” I really wasn’t aware of the fostering protocol of this situation; but I certainly couldn’t stop these lads – even if I was inclined to.

They trooped in and I closed the door heaving a sigh. I went into the living room and everyone was sat down I cleared my throat and asked, “Tea or Coffee anyone?” “Tea please missis milk and two for me and Pete; Wayne don’t drink tea or coffee.” “Oh” I said weakly “I’ve got some coke if that’s any good?” Wayne grinned, “That’s great missis Ta.”
I brought the drinks in and said, “Look guys please call me Avril!” “Or Av” piped up Kate.
Carl said, “You’re lookin good Kate, clothes suits ya and I like your hair! Now you really look like our baby sister”

I was still a bit wary of these three remembering that they had already done some damage to Kate’s dad but I had to ask, “You don’t mind Kate being a girl?” Carl looked at me as though I was an idiot the answered, “Bloody ell missis sorry Av no. She should have been a girl cos she’ll never be a lad!” Kate was sat between the two eldest like a very little girl snuggling into them happy to be with her brothers.
“What do you mean err Carl” he smiled condescendingly at me and said, “Look Av I’ll show ya.
Wayne stand up!” Wayne was sat on the floor stood up, he was at least 6’ tall and of stocky build. Carl carried on, “Kate stand next to Wayne luv.” Kate did as she was told. “Right” Carl said, “How old is Wayne?” “Looking at him I would say 17” I guessed. “Wrong he’s 15 and a bit, 2 years older than Kate. Look at them Kate’s a lass she’s never a lad! Christ she’s even got tit’s!”

“OUR CARL” a very angry Kate butted in, “I HATE that word they are my boobies or boobs – WILL YOU REMEMBER THAT YA PLANK!” My god I thought, those green eyes looked like lasers as she glared at her brother. Suitably chastened Carl muttered, “Sorry young un.”

I’ll spend a few lines describing Carl and Pete (the quiet one) they are both well over 6’ tall and built like brick outhouses they are both well muscled and covered in Tattoo’s – even on their heads their hands are like shovels.
They are the kind of guys you would cross the street to avoid but as I found they are really nice guys – unless you cross them.

“How’s Mam” Katie asked. Pete answered this time; “She’s ok young un but missing you like crazy and beating herself up for slapping ya!” Kate’s anger had evaporated she replied wistfully, “And I miss her I wish I could see her on my birthday.”

Carl spoke here, “I don’t think that’s allowed kiddo,” as he said this he looked at me. “Don’t ask me, Kate’s the first time I’ve ever looked after anyone – I can ask if you want?” Carl looked thoughtful saying, “Don’t bother Av.

Now we better be going and leave you two in peace.” “Oh don’t go you’ve just got here” this came from Kate. The three got up to leave Carl saying, “Look young un we’ll see you again – Av, can we take her shopping for a birthday present tomorrow? We’ll bring her back honest.” “Bloody right you’ll bring me back!” Snapped Kate “Language Kate” I automatically corrected her.
Pete gave a broad grin at this telling Kate; “You listen to your aunty Av, if your going to be a girl good girls don’t swear.” I couldn’t resist, “I swear” the retort came back, “well there you are and you seemed like a good girl.” I grinned at that as I had walked right into it!

We saw them to the door then as they left each of them hugged Kate who had tears in her eyes. Carl looked at me and simply said, “you’re OK Av, look after our little girl.” “Don’t worry I will.” I answered, Carl nodded then they left in the same way as I assumed they had arrived namely a very battered Transit van.

The next day I took Kate when I walked the dogs then she got ready for her brothers, with her new hairstyle – she couldn’t hide the fact that she was a girl. As I thought about it she reminded me of myself but when I was that age there was nobody no organisations girls like me could turn to, as I thought of all the hurt and snide remarks I suffered I made a vow to myself to try and protect Kate as much as I could - not that she needed much protection!

She dressed in skinny jeans and a knitted top, her burgundy jacket – again (this was the only one we had) so I decided to get her another one for her birthday.
Her brothers arrived right on time this time driving an elderly but well loved BMW she was bubbling as she climbed in shouting. “SEE YA LATER AUNTY AV!” Carl asked, “Wot time do you want her back.” “About five if your ears can stand it” I laughed.” He nodded commenting, “Know wot you mean.”

So having the day to myself I did some restoration work went out and bought Kate a black PU short bikers jacket along with a handbag also and did my supermarket shop. Jan phoned to see how I was managing so we nattered for a while.

I was making tea when a whirlwind descended on me it was my little friend Kate. “Aunt Av we’ve had a great day me bruvvers have got me a load of prezzies we had some dinner at KFC and look at me ears!” as usual all this was said in one breath while bouncing up and down with excitement.

I glanced at her ears and did a double take they now had 2 piercings each! With a set of green studs and a gold ring! What could I do? Nothing! I simply sighed, “Oh Kate.”
Then she remembered, “Oh and Carl would like to talk to you” “where is he?” I asked,
“Waiting outside” came the reply.

After telling Kate to continue to stir the risotto I made my way to the door in a daze, “Sorry Carl but she’s only just happened to mention that you’re here. You should’ve come in.”
Carl smiled saying, “No it’s not right to just come into someone’s house, anyhow I really want to thank you, I’ve never seen her so happy you’re doing a great job.”

This made me blush and I managed to say, “It’s nothing, she’s a lovely girl.” He nodded in agreement then asked, “Av we’d like to take you and Kate out to Frankie and Bennies for her birthday, is that ok? We’ll have to see you there cos we’ve got to shower up after work”

I was a bit stunned but got myself together and managed to answer, “Err yes that’s fine, what time shall we see you there?” “About six” was the answer “and don’t tell her we’ll be there, it’s a surprise” I looked over my shoulder down the hall smiling saying, “it’s amazing she’s not ear-wigging! But are you sure you want me there after all it’s Kate’s birthday?” He smiled saying, “Av you are making Kate very happy SHE would want you there and so do I.” I smiled at him saying, “Ok see you Monday!” with that he left and I went back to make sure our tea had survived Kate looking after it.

To be a Woman

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just who's the mother and who's the daughter?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Seems Kate's helping Avril grow up as much as the other was round. Almost mushy in a tattooed shaven-headed way.

Rhona McCloud

Good Question

Christina H's picture

And she still is!! But now she has help!

Christina