Eve - Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 22
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:

 
David Stevens has been ejected from the cinema

Now the story continues.
 
 
 
Eve Chapter 22
 
 
 

The following morning I decided I would get the Sunday paper. I put on a set of sweats and a pair of trainers with pink stripes, and went for my bike in the shed. I still don't know how it got back here from the school after all this trouble started. It was still before eight and mum wasn't yet up.

Anyway, the tyres on my bike needed some air so I picked up my pump and started working. I'd never had trouble before but I could feel my upper arm muscle like I'd never felt it before, maybe it was just lack of exercise? Once the tyres were right I mounted the bike and went to push off. That's when I stopped and thought. This is a boy's bike, very obviously a boy's bike.

I put it back, checked the tyres on mum's bike and took that out instead.

Rather than go direct to the newsagents I went on a ten mile ride, collecting the paper on the return. I only saw a couple of people and even fewer cars.

It was hard work on the uphill stretches, Mum's bike was geared but not the same ratios as mine. I was sweating when I got back home an hour later.

I walked into the kitchen to an immediate tongue lashing from mum.

"Where do you think you went? You tell me before you go. If I hadn't have heard you get the bike out of the shed I'd be ringing the police by now."

"Mum, I never needed to tell you before."

"It's different now you're a girl. Different. You tell me first, right?"

"Yes mum, " reluctantly.

I was enjoying life as a girl, particularly with Claire, and was getting into clothes, make-up and the rest of the girly scene. Why then did I suddenly have restrictions I didn't have before? I mean 'before', when I was a boy.

I wanted to have a sulk but knew my coursework took priority, unfortunately. I went upstairs and had a shower before dressing. I put on some leggings and a vest top, grabbed a coffee and went up to my PC. A laptop would be really useful. By twelve I'd finished the report and did half an hour on the online tutor site.

I shut the PC down and went down to see if there was any lunch. Claire's mother was in the kitchen with mum, by the look of the coffee cups they'd been talking for a while.

"Sit down Eve. We'd like to say something."

"Okay mum, out with it."

"Young lady, less of that attitude. It's about you returning to school."

"Oh."

"Don't worry Eve. It's just how we'll handle any reaction you get at school and how much of that affects Claire. Even now, in 2009, some have problems with same sex relationships, more so where one is transgendered."

"Don't worry? Of course I'm worried about it, but I love Claire too much not to be there for her. We'll get through it together. But, mum, Mrs Johnson, it's not been decided that I'm going back, is it?"

"Eve, please call me Sharon."

"Okay Sharon."

"Eve, I think there is a real chance on Tuesday that the Governors will ask you to go back. I think it's best that you do this willingly and not wait for them to try and force you."

"Whoa, what did you just say?"

"Sorry, what I meant was that if they ask you to go back, then I think you should. If there are problems we'll deal with them, even if that means switching to another school. If you stay at home, the Local Education Authority could become difficult. Dr Kumar has signed you as unfit for school but the LEA could have another doctor examine you."

"Right, I understand that, but hadn't we wait until Tuesday's meeting?"

"I suppose you're right." Mum shrugged.

She'd tried to push this extra worry onto me and it hadn't worked. She probably thinks it's for the best, but I'm just taking things one day at a time. Trying to analyse everything would just confuse me even more, it had been difficult enough getting to the bottom of mum's deception, but I was stronger now, maybe because of that.

The doorbell rang and my aunt walked in, followed by my cousin Jenny. Mum hadn't said anything about their visit, again, I'd try to have a word with her later; I wanted to take a harder attitude with mum, but it never seemed to be the right moment.

"Hi Simon."

"Hi Jenny, It's Eve now."

"You changed your name and ..."

"No, Eve has always been my name." I decided not to make a fight out of it and simply suggested to Jenny that she and I went into the lounge.

My aunt went into the kitchen to see mum and meet Sharon. Jenny and I sat on the couch. Over the years we'd always tried to out do the other but Jenny was one year older, now almost 18, and physically stronger, I tended to lose in every aspect.

"So you're gay?" Nothing like a direct question from her.

"I'm a lesbian."

"Huh? But you're a boy."

"No, I'm a girl with the wrong parts."

"Prove it."

Her mum was standing behind us, "Jenny, stop that and apologise. Eve is a girl now. Period."

"Period? Do you mean ..."

"You know exactly what I mean young lady. Now apologise."

"Yes mum, sorry Eve. If I hadn't have seen you I wouldn't have believed it."

I went to the kitchen and pulled a couple of drinks out of the fridge. Claire walked in the kitchen door.

"Thanks, I could do with a drink."

"I'll get another one."

"So who's this one for?" Asked Claire, who'd just walked in.

Jenny, who'd followed me, decided to answer, "for me, who are you?"

"Jenny, this is Claire, my girlfriend."

"You weren't kidding then?"

"Look, let's go back into the lounge." I suggested again, mostly to change the question and answer session with Jenny.

Mum, Sharon and my aunt had gone outside, my aunt smokes so had stepped outside as mum does not allow smoking in the house. Mum and Sharon went out as well, taking their coffees with them. They'd have their own group conference, about me no doubt.

Claire joined me on the couch, relegating Jenny to one of the chairs. I knew my cousin was desperate to say something but assumed she'd wait until Claire and I had finished our current kissing session. I was wrong, she was too impatient, as ever.

"Cut it out guys."

I did my best to explain to Jenny what was going on. Claire explained the bits I missed out. I'm not sure if she was totally convinced but it was too weird a story to be made up, that's what I told myself.

"So what happens next?" She asked.

"In what regard?"

"The boy to girl thing."

"I'm seeing a specialist on Tuesday."

"And does he cut your bits off?"

"No! At least not yet."

"I want Eve as a whole girl, all mine," said Claire. This stunned Jenny into silence for a few seconds. The longest so far today.

I looked at the clock, it was gone three and we'd not had lunch. Mum had clearly been thinking the same thing and put her head into the lounge, suggesting everyone stay for Sunday dinner. She pulled a large piece of beef from the fridge as if she had been expecting visitors all along. I must have a word with her, she has kept enough from me. I really should start writing a list, or would that be the start of paranoia?

The collective was told dinner would be at five. Us girls, including Annie, were sent to the nearest shops to collect some additional ingredients. Jenny mellowed and stopped trying to better me, I got the feeling she had accepted me as a girl so had stopped trying to prove she was better than any boy, if that makes sense?

We got back a bit later than expected and helped set the large table in the dining room. We never normally used this room, in fact it wasn't even a separate room, more an area at the back of the lounge. I'd never understood why we had a table that could seat eight when there was just the two of us. Today seven of us would eat here.

It was somehow odd, there wouldn't be a single male at the table. All of the woman, and girls, were single. Sharon's husband had run off shortly after the twins were born. Jenny's dad had been divorced by my aunt, I'd never been told why. All of this had happened years ago and wasn't a dinner table topic.

I was asked to select two bottles of red wine from the rack, I found a pair of bottles of Merlot that would go well with the beef. Today the four girls would all be allowed half a glass of wine, topped with lemonade, Jenny however just wanted lemonade. The adults all had one glass each, although I suppose it could have been more.

The dinner was a lovely end to a peaceful weekend after a hectic week. It turned out that Jenny was driving her mum home and that she was due to take her driving test the following week. No point in losing your licence before you've qualified, is there?

Sharon and Annie left shortly afterwards, Claire cuddled up to me.

"I'm not at school tomorrow."

"Why not?"

"We're in court, my dear, remember?"

up
304 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wish it were that smooth.

Well, I wish Eve the best, though it is never that smooth.

A

Hope the court session goes

Hope the court session goes as smoothly as the day seems to have gone for Eve, that is until her Aunt and Cousin showed up. Sharon and Claire coming over, did help to fix that bit however.