Jem...Chapter 116

Printer-friendly version
Angel/Jem
Jem…Chapter 116

by Bailey Summers

Copyright © 2013 Bailey Summers
All Rights Reserved.

 


Author's Note: Picture used with permission from *lavonia on deviantart.


 
Chapter 116
 

Jem…Chapter 116

Chapter 116

*Before…

People start moving and talking and someone actually calls out from one of the tables. “Can you play something for slow dancing? Can you stay?”

Some of the people stop going where ever and I look to Mr. Walker… “Can we sir?” He nods and there’s a smile there. Respect…he deserves it as far as I’m concerned and it’s a great thing to actually show to this kind of crowd base.

I smile out at them as I lean to the mic. “Give us ten minutes to put together a play list and you can all order another bottle for the table or something stronger and one of the absolutely amazing deserts here while we do….go ahead ladies a little slice of some cheese cake…chocolate mousse…cream brule…I knew we will be while we’re talking.”

………………I smile and sit as Raven passes me this amazing smelling coffee ground and coco nib and sugar topped crème brule.

“So…what are we going to play girls?”

*And Now…

I finish my dessert and take a drink of coffee and then go and move to the keyboard and talk into the mic. “Just give us a few more minutes to retune and we’ll finish the rest of this evening off really nice. Have another drink if you can or another bit of the naughty sweet stuff they have here…you all do know that they will do take out boxes right?”
We don’t actually spend a whole lot of time debating or tuning up and there are people doing the ordering things bit as we’re doing that and Mr. Walker gives me this nod and a smile. I think it’s almost a given that if you’re doing a show you should promote the place a little bit.

Hey if they believe in us enough to hire us to play than I believe in them too.

I settle behind the keyboards and start to play piano style and I get a good lead up built first. And then I lean over the keys to sing with my ees closed and I open up my heart and sing. *When You Love Someone.* By Bryan Adams.

When you love someone you'll do anything...
You'll do all the crazy things that you can't explain...
You'll shoot the moon, put out the sun
When you love someone…

You'll deny the truth, believe a lie
There'll be times that you'll believe that you could really fly
But your lonely nights have just begun
When you love someone

When you love someone you'll feel it deep inside
And nothing else could ever change your mind
When you want someone, when you need someone
When you love someone...

When you love someone you'll sacrifice
Giving everything you got and you won't think twice
You'd risk it all no matter what may come
When you love someone.

Yeah
You'll shoot the moon, put out the sun
When you love someone

I smile at everyone and at the girls and especially Raven as I start playing again as we slide into *I will be right here waiting for you.* By Richard Marx.

I love the look that I’ getting back from her…and then there’s people and couples moving to the dance floor that Dad and the guys are clearing and people are getting arm in arm and heads to shoulders and those just so perfect I love you slow dance hugs.

This makes me happy.

And since I’m still at the keyboard I take the opportunity to start us into… *Everything I do* By Bryan Adams. It’s good old hold me tight let me fall in love with you rock and it’s got such great riffs too as Brooklyn gets to step up and play some for the crowds and there’s some parts that lend to group voices and the soft sweetness as it trails off.

And that lets me get up while Raven hits her base and Kimmie the drums as I get ready and start singing one of my fave tunes. *If you don’t know me by now.* By Simply Red…a seriously great band that got nowhere near enough attention.

Then that has just the right tone for us to slide into doing *Everything* By Starlight Butterfly and I go right from that one into us doing *Carousel* By Starlight Butterfly and people are slow dancing and the staff are sort of busing tables that were moved away as things are going on with everyone in the main floor of the Café and it’s all a really sweet sort of sight to watch.

It actually makes me want to go someplace and to slow dance with Raine someplace.

And the crowd is older but not that older that it’d wouldn’t know everything we’re playing outside of our SLB tunes so when we’re done that we slide into *Drops of Jupiter* By Train which is a kind of romantic song really and everything.

Then *Time after Time* By Cyndi Lauper comes after that and we follow that up with us doing *Forever and Always* By Starlight Butterfly and Raven steps up as we switch of with the mic duties and she sings. *One and Only* By Adele and then she slips into *Billy Holiday* By Starlight Butterfly.

It’s getting late and we did quite the extended set really for the job and everything and I switch off with Raven with the mic again and I say. “Second to last one folks.” And there’s some claps and there some whistles but it stops as we start into a very old very beautiful classic tune.

*Unchained Melody* By The Righteous Brothers… I sing it softly in this sort of soft way but in this kinda of a way that Pink might have done if she had covered it….maybe a little K.D. Lang there too.

Seriously she could so rock a cover of this song.

It goes over really well to as it’s such a perfect song for lovers and slow dancing and kissing and just being awesome and it’s so cross generational too.

I let it fade out and then I’m ending the second set with *Thank you* By Dido it’s still just a perfect song for a Thanksgiving kind of setting and it’s like a sort of play on the situation and stuff too.

We finish and there’s applause and we do our bows and this time literally and we’re shaking hands and accepting thank you’s and the tip box is getting pretty prosperous which is good and I’m not sure exactly how or why but Raven and I and Mr. Walker were talking with people all the way to the doors and closing up.

Which had us looking at each other and smiling even Mr. Walker a bit too and he says. “Are you training to do some hostessing in the front of house now too ladies.”

I smile and blush. “Sorry it was just so sort of natural talking to people and everything it just seemed like it was mannerly to actually talk like that and walk them to the door.”

He nods. “I’m certainly not complaining it actually added to the experience I hope that not just the management but the entertainment hired is so in synch with each other and the customers that we all are friendly and care enough to do that.”

I’m blushing.

He walks both of us to the usual set up at the booths and stuff as we start to go through the whole process of packing up things and getting things together while the tips are pooled and the others help out with things to get all of us done and out of here together in a timely fashion.

I’m adding things up with Mr. Walker as the tips are being pooled and there was a lot of great tips tonight for the wait staff tonight with a slightly more well-heeled crowd in and them being extra generous with things in that way as well as there was a lot of tips passed to Raven and myself while talking to people and of course the tip box and I learn things like him buying the tips from the debit and credit slips from each of the wait staff’s accounts…apparently they have a PIN number for each staffer before the cash will open or the point of sales can be used.

I’m learning a lot like why he uses that to keep who did what straight and overages and shortages on tables but also the point of sales feeds into the inventory so all the sales track to all the things used in the café and there’s threshold numbers so when then numbers of that item or ingredients for the items get to a certain point they flag and message him and the head of the kitchen and they can click onto the link with that to order more of that thing.

He’s actually explaining all of that to me and answering my questions about all of those things too even if it doesn’t really relate to music and stuff it’s all interesting to me.

Mr. Walker also talks about the difference between tipping in cash and card tipping since card tipping or billing tipping is done in bigger cities and larger restaurants but it’s generally not done here.

He sips at his coffee. “It’s rude to assume a tip, it might be very well deserved but it’s rude to assume that it is deserved or and this is a very big thing especially here, some can’t afford to tip sometimes, sometimes it’s all that they can do to have that nice meal someplace that they have saved up for. Adding that to a bill automatically is rude and somewhat close to theft.”

“I would think that tipping would always be a good thing?”

He takes another sip of his coffee. “It’s good only as long as people can afford to do it.”

I nod. “I’ve sort of felt that way about performing too sometimes especially lately with busking it’s great to get tips and stuff but at the same time doing it too often it just feels wrong.”

He nods. “You can only do that for so long in a town of this size really.”

I take a drink of my coffee before it gets too cold. “I was thinking on just only occasionally doing it we’re doing a lot better now with things and will be likely getting better at all of this too.”

He smiles. “Though a few free shows in public wouldn’t hurt either sometimes.”

I smile back. “Definitely, I’d love to give back sometime, play something for an event or something for free.”

“I’ll look out for something like that.”

We get everything totaled for the tips and with everything added in and all of the staff included and divided up we come to a whopping seventy three dollars each and then there still the check that he’s writing each of us for playing here and he starts to write another check?

“Sir?”

“You played over the agreed time Angel.”

I take a sip of my coffee again and look at him. “How about we keep that as is and we call it a good partnership thing, you were good enough to hire us for this special gig and for our regular work so we just call this a thank you.”

He looks at me. “Are you sure?”

I nod. “Very sure sir, we all are very thankful for the opportunities.”

He nods and he gets up and offers me his hand and I take it and we shake hands in this really cool respectful way and he takes his things. “If you’ll excuse me I have tips to give out and the rest of this to get done too.”

“Of course I’ve pretty much the same thing too.” The handshake leads to a light kiss on the cheek between us and I blush and it’s sort of awkward but not…? I mean really I like to think that Mr. Walker and I have a growing but still very strong respect for each other and well we’re sort of close too.

He’s sort of my first mentor really.

He heads off to do the things that he needs to do and I wait until we’re pretty much packed and then I wait until everyone drifts over and I’m holding out the envelopes with the money in them and with seventy three in the combined tips and sixty for the gig we all made really decent money tonight and there’s a lot of grins and smiles and Molly has this dumbstruck look on her face again.

“But…but…I…I haven’t done your site yet and this…”

I hug her. “You’re still doing the work on our pages and helping with the videos and here with the recordings you’re a part of the band and a part of the show and you’re still hired to do the site. You can do two things at once right?”

She swallows. “Yeah right…I mean yeah definitely.”

I grin at her and we’re just about to hug when I hear Kimmie and Brooklyn squee and the cooks are bringing out our cheese cake.

It’s in a box and it’s beautiful looking with four of five inches with this layer of nuts and a brule like crust on the top of it and all these really cute looking decorative rosettes and stuff.

It’s so not cool but we’re all standing around it and we’re oohing and aaahing over it and Kimmie giggles and says “The Claw.”

That gets some of us laughing and Brooklyn carefully slips the lid back on the cake box and we head out and we give a bunch more hugs and handshakes and stuff to everyone as we head out and get into the cars and the van and we head home.

Well we head to a few other places first.

The bank is the first one where I get the checks deposited with the girls and we take twenty each out of the tips and we deposit that too into the bank machine despite the grumping by Kimmie and Brook well it’s mostly Kim but we still have stuff to pay for and credit to keep up now and bills to pay and I want there to be some cash in there for the girls too, something solid in case of whatever comes down the pipe.

Yeah I know I’m not being fun, I’m not being a teenager I’m being old and stuff but screw that…some people have to grow up fast and things can fly apart really fast and I want a cushion for us.

After that we poo our change and stop at Tim Horton’s and we buy a big tin of their coffee for the house. I want some really good coffee and stuff in the house when we have something like a really good cheese cake to go with it.

Then it’s to the house and we’re gone in and we’re all getting changed and out of all of the fancy stuff and the guys are being awesome and they’re unloading and stuff as we’re doing that.

And changing with Raine was pretty awesome…I mean it’s not like we got sexual with each other but we got inside of our room and she turns the lights off and she closes the door and she locks it and then she kisses me…

“I wanna dance with you Angel…everyone else was dancing and I just really, really want to dance with you.”

(Swallow…and Smile.) “Okay.”

She steps up all sexy and strong and she kisses me and we do that for a few sweet seconds before she leans me into the plastic flowers and lattice on the wall and I weave my fingers in and breathe a little hard and fast as she puts on some music and she comes over again in the perfect dimness and reaches out and takes my hand and pulls me close to dance with me to…

*Thinking about You* By Nora Jones…..soft and slow and sexy and smoky and just…just what I needed as I move with that slow sexy beat and we step out of our heels and just keep dancing and looking each other in the eyes.

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great!!

Great chapter there Ms Bailey, I was really missing Jem & sbb & hope to see more soon

TY Papabru

Glad that you enjoyed this.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Romantic dances are wonderful.

It's such a wonderful thing when you get to have that.
*Great Big Proud Angel Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Awesome. I really, really,

Awesome. I really, really, love Jem. It's one of the best of stories.

Thank you.

Jo-Anne

Thanks so much Jo-Anne.

It's always a bit of a thrill to get such a fan compliment like that.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Wonderfully Sweet

tmf's picture

An awesome chapter, thank you.

Love tmf

Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness

Glad to see you back.

Glad to see you back. I really missed reading your new installments of the stories. Bridges was good too. I haven't gotten into mask yet.

I probably wanna know, what I don't know

I think you'll like Masks.

But I'm really glad that you enjoy this and Bridges as well.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Jem

THANKS !

Larimus

Larimus!

Yays!

Bailey Summers

AWESOME

Teresa L.'s picture

as always Bailey. Glad things are getting better enough you are back to writing *HUGS*

on the tips, in the US servers are automatically taxed on assumed tips of sales they do. i think it is at 15%, but its a state thing so only in some states, and might vary on amount. i always tip good service, i tip better for exceptional. if it was a total disaster, depends on the issue and how the server reacted. some dont care, so zero tip. if it was a kitchen thing, and they do what they can, i still tip. too many people rate the experience as a whole, instead of the parts, some of which are NOT in the servers control

Teresa L.

Teresa L.

There are so many screwed up things with serving and tips.

Especially with considerations about services. It's not generally assumed in some places that service will be worth tipping or that you can afford to do so. But servers in Canada at Least make the Prov/Fed minimum wage.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Yay!

Page of Wands's picture

More Jem! Glad to see more stuff from you, Bailey!

You're Welcome Anansi :)

I'm glad that you enjoyed the return of this story.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Bailey, I am glad to see

Bailey, I am glad to see this chapter for your wonderful story. I found the tip explanation very informative.

One of my Sons has worked as a General Manager in the Food Service Industry for many years, and he said that tips added to a credit card bill meant the server/s or whoever received the tips would generally not see them until all the credit card bills were reconciled near the end of whatever "billing calendar" was used by the establishment. I also happen to live in one of three States in the U.S., that by law can legally get away with only paying their food service workers $2.13 hr. (Kentucky)

The companies, as does the IRS, believe the rest will be made up by tips from customers. It used to really "frost" me when I would look at the bottom of the bill and see these words printed there. "We pride ourselves in paying $2.13 hour to our employees". What a stupendous crock of BS, by any stretch of the imagination.
I have noticed that in the past two years that comment has seemed to disappear from the bills.

An easy tip formula to help one when figuring out what to leave. DOUBLE the tax shown and it will generally be very near to the 15% level. For 20%, add $4-$5 dollars to your doubled tax amount. My two daughters who have both worked as servers, told me this little trick, and with a "tip card" I carry; have verified that their method is very nearly spot on.
Janice Lynn

Tax not good indicater

Taxes can vary widely from one city to the next, they really aren't a useful guide to tipping. But tipping is dead simple. Move the decimal point one space to the left and you have 10%. Double it and you have 20%. Cut in half then add that to the 10% and you get 15%.

One thing I want to add. In spite of what is said, if you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out. My state is like Janice Lynn's, server wagers are set at $2.13/hr. It's as much a part of eating out as the cost of the meal. If tipping were eliminated and the servers were paid a living wage you'd be paying more for your meal. That means that the people who can't afford to tip under the old system wouldn't be able to afford to eat out under the newer, fairer system. Maybe they'll have to lower their sights a bit, go to a less expensive eating establishment. That's the way the cookie crumbles.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

I don't agree with the no tips, you don't get to go out to eat.

There are a lot of people that can barely afford to go out and I've been to places like TGI-Fridays and charge automatic tipping of 10% it's not just higher end places.

And places here pay at least minimum wage in Canada and that's $10.20 per hour plus tips and people still do tip and still go out to eat but...The costs are pretty close to the same mostly.

The boosted min wage fallacies are just that it doesn't effect the cost of things in any significant manner when the wages go up this has been proved time and time again in places that the living wages have started to climb towards parity.

Places should never assume the tips...it's classist and classist to assume that if you can afford to go out you can afford 10-20%.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

No Automatic Service Charge

Of course you're talking about Canada and I'm talking the U.S. Apples and oranges. I'm also not in favor of a line item on the ticket for a service charge. I'm saying that employees (including the service staff) should be payed minimum wage (at the very least) and wages should be figured in with all the rest of the cost of doing business. This will raise the cost of a meal slightly, but likely unnoticeable to the customer. I've seen a news story of this being done in Australia with no real world impact. I'm all in favor of the same thing being done here in the U.S.

But under the current conditions in the United States servers are not being paid minimum wage and definitely not a living wage. I bought a server a half tank of gas the other day because the restaurant was slow. She needed that tip money (that she didn't get) so she could pick up her child from the sitter and go home. (The servers do a kind of a quid pro quo watching each others' children so mom can work.) So, under an inherently unfair system I'll stand by my belief that tipping is a part of the eating out system that needs to be done. I've walked more than a mile in their shoes, working in a restaurant has always been a fallback job for me. The servers only get $2.13 an hour, but all federal and state taxes assume you are making at least minimum wage. You are paying taxes on money you never had.

That's the way it is in the U.S. I'm happy that things are better in Canada. I've learned something from this and I hope you have as well.

PS: There are cheaper options for eating out, the family need not stay at home. If Plan A won't work, move on to Plan B.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

I think we both agree on that server and wage disparity bites.

All would be definitely better served with the living wage risen in synch with inflation...things keep going up and up but wages are even close to keeping pace...or even withing reach for far too many people.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Servers here get at least minimum wage Janice.

But tips are often cashed out at the end of the night when the Point of Sales goes through it's tally of debit/bank card and credit card sips and those are either pooled and shared or paid directly to the server as most servers have their own access pins for the tickets/orders from their tables to the kitchen.

Now the distribution of tips in this way does get reported by law as income and shows up on income tax usually included and paid at the same time with the weekly/biweekly gross and net on a paycheck.

Cash is not factored in as a general rule though not in Canada.

Bailey Summers

I wanna dnce with you

I wanna dnce with you (sweet)
good chapter a another fitting song for Raine to play would be
Aerosmith's Angel

nice one!

a great way to wrap the night.
great job, thanks

Very nice way to end the night.

Cheese, dancing...kissing it's definitely a way to go to wind things down.
*Hugs and Howls*

Bailey Summers

No more good coffee

I see in the news that Burger King is buying (dun-dun-duuuuun) Tim Hortens. Enjoy your coffee while you still can!!!


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

It won't change the coffee much.

Tim's is high end Blue-Collar coffee and they have their own blend and beans so it's likely they won't do too much to it. Now BK is getting crushed with MD's reworking their coffee menu's and whole experience with wi-fii and in table power outlets they're catering to the working breaks and internet crowds and the MD's coffee is very decent actually.

Now if Tim/BK do the same with flame broiled...and decent coffee.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Great gig

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Really loving me some Bryan Adams after this chapter! :-) 'Everything I do' is a great song that gets better with a bit of distance. I think after spending 16 weeks at number 1 in the UK I eventually got a little sick of it! Now though, I can say as when I first heard it, that it's a pretty great song. As is 'When you love someone' of course.

As for Angel, she continues to keep her wits about her. With Adam and co out there, saving for a rainy day isn't just a good idea it's vital to survival.

And the last few lines are just 'awwwwwwwwww'. So sweet. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Bryan Adams has a lot of songs that way.

There's a lot of great songs he does like "When you love someone" and "everything I do" but I'm a big fan of "Can't stop loving you." and "One for all."

Angel is trying to keep things together and saving for hard times especially when the girls all had it so rough.

*Great Big Hugs.*

Bailey Summers

Finally caught up to where I

Finally caught up to where I'd last read to :) It didn't seem too long when I read it before but then I remembered I read each chapter as it was posted lol. Still a great story second time through.

Big hugs

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Yays Lizzie!

That's Awesome thank you.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*

Bailey Summers

How did I miss this?

" ... despite the grumping by Kimmie and Brook well it’s mostly Kim but we still have stuff to pay for and credit to keep up now and bills to pay and I want there to be some cash in there for the girls too, something solid in case of whatever comes down the pipe..

I mean really, I've read both stories at the same time.It should have smacked my in the eyes. Angel is always the one keeping track of the money and making sure the girls have a solid financial footing. And where did she get all these money skills?

Well, the truth is out at last. Angel is officially "Mister No-Fun Guy" in this universe! Don't push it too far though, I doubt Ayla would ever dye his hair pink! ;-)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin