Julina of Blackstone - 032 - The Majority Comes Around

Printer-friendly version

Julina has a day full of surprises

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles

by Julia Phillips

032 – The Majority Comes Around


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
032 – The Majority Comes Around


An introduction from Older Julina: If you are reading these tales, then you may notice some inconsistencies in spelling and terms of address. Please be aware that they were written by a much younger me, naïve, trusting and at times over-confident; however, untutored formally and having lived my entire life up in a remote mountain village at the very end of a road, I could hardly be expected to be an expert, now could I? Our dialect there was that with which I grew up and it seemed perfectly natural to me then. For instance, we added -ian to the end of every country name to refer to the people who came from that country. I have since learnt that 'Yodan' is the correct term, and not 'Yodian', 'Plifan' and not 'Plifian' and so on. Same for towns: 'Brikantan' not 'Brikantian', 'Viridoran' not 'Viridorian'. We also had had no contact with nobility way up there, so it took us a while to learn the correct forms of address, so sometimes we got Milady in when it was inappropriate to her title - and things like that. Even some of the characters are perchance affected by my earlier writings – Dear Sookie for example - she was, I should in all honesty report, a little coarser and a little harder than my words might convey, but she had then not the mollifying influence of Uncle to smooth some of her edges. I have left those 'errors' in the narrative merely to give a flavour of the times and the places.

... ... ...

“But I can't just lie here all day and do nothing, there's too much to do! I have already missed attending the Tai Chi!”

“'Lina – I just want to give you a special treat for once. I want you to have a mug of pel, served to you as if you were the Queen herself sitting up in her silk-strewn bed with maidservants running round doing everything for her before she even thinks of it herself.”

“But why? There's so much to do if we are finally going to change houses later today or tomorrow. I can't just lie here, or even sit up here in bed, noticeably withOUT the silk finery, and let you scurry around doing things I should be doing. There are things that Swayga may not know, or may not be too familiar with …”

“Oh! Hold! I have just thought of something. I'll be back! Do NOT come out, just stay in bed if you can, please – pretty please. Just this once! Promise? Come on, promise me you will stay here, just for a few minutes. Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssseeeeee?”

“Oh all right! If it means so much to you. Just this once. But I won't wait for your return forever.”

I looked at Kords in amazement as she scuttled back out of the room. She set off down the corridor, but then returned to close the door with a smiling “Your Majesty!”

I laughed as she went off to do whatever it was she wanted to do and let my active brain start making the usual lists of what to do for the day. The first job of course was to decide the destination of our ride. Ah! Wait! Would Swayga and Kords be coming along as well? I hopped out of bed and opened the door, to call to Kords. My voice caused an instant silence which was a little suspicious to me.

So suspicious that my brain started analysing what I may have heard without realising it.

“... doesn't even realise!” “How can she not?” “Are you sure?” “Shhhhhh.”

I couldn't make anything of that, try as hard as I could. And then I didn't have a chance as Kords ran up to me, screeching: “You promised! You promised! But then you got up!” She was almost in tears, which made me realise I had made a HUGE mistake.

I was so taken aback at her vehemence, and the realisation of my own fallibility, that I staggered backwards and got back into bed, muttering apologies as I went.

“Why, 'Lina? Why? You have taught us that a promise is sacrosanct. And you broke yours! How could you?”

“You left me on my own, so I was planning the day and I just wanted to know if you two would ride today, that's all. I didn't leave the room, which is what I thought I had promised not to do. I have to do SOMETHING and you know I like to plan ahead. It wasn't THAT serious was it?”

She had calmed down a bit by then, but my words seemed to mollify her further.

“No I suppose not, not really. I was just shocked, is all! You didn't really break your promise I suppose, I just assumed that you would stay in bed, but you interpreted it as staying in the room. I should have been more specific.”

“And I should have been more thoughtful. I'm very sorry I upset you by not thinking. Will you forgive me?”

“Of course! Now, Your Majesty. Back into bed properly with you, and I'll go fetch your pel. Oh, and Swayga and I will NOT be able to ride today. Now stay there, please.”

With that, she was off again, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

… … …

Eventually, I was allowed to get up and went to the bathhouse, where I found a full tub just for me, which was a delight. Kords explained that as I was so much later today, they had already all used the facilities. I pointed out that I wouldn't have been this late if she hadn't forced me to stay in bed for that extra half a bell. She grinned and actually agreed with me, when I was expecting an argument, so I was a little taken aback by that. Something strange was going on, things weren't quite normal somehow, but I couldn't work out what.

As I lay there in the warm water, Swayga and Kords came in and washed me thoroughly giving me a light massage at the same time. It was wonderful.

But strange.

And it was even stranger when I emerged from the bathhouse and my favourite breakfast was waiting for me. All alone. I was about to demand an explanation, when I realised what was so strange. There were only the three of us here in the house. Papa and the others were elsewhere. It was quiet in the house for once. I supposed the others were Tai Chi-ing, but I would have thought they would be back by now. I didn't have time to ponder this further, as both Swaga and Kords were displaying a body attitude that was more immediately a factor for me to ponder. I decided to try a more gentle approach to get to the bottom of what was going on.

“Well this is most pleasant, I must say. Very unusual, but most pleasant for a change. I haven't quite worked out why it is happening just so, however, I shall enjoy it.”

Swayga and Kords looked at each other and Kords was about to say something when Swayga gave a little gasp and her face somehow cleared itself of a worry. A thought had obviously just occurred to her. She gripped Kords arm hard, I saw Kords wince, before saying, just a little over hurriedly: “Well Julina, the entire family want to thank you for all you have done over these last few years.”

Kords started to protest but a little shake of the head and a further arm squeeze from Swayga, accompanied by a reassuring little nod seemed to stop Kords in her tracks.

Major alarm bells were ringing in my head now. These two were not being totally open with me.

Swayga continued: “It is very likely that today or tomorrow will be the last day we live in this house, so the family decided to leave you with fond memories as we all start a new phase in our lives.”

As she said this, I saw Kords breathe an almost silent “Oh!”, which seemed somehow inappropriate, especially as it was accompanied by a relaxing of her shoulders which told me that she had been anxious about something. I suspected that Kords was worried that Swayga might say something to me, but what she said was not what Kords was worried about. The circles in my head starting all revolving in different directions.

Swayga continued: “And so we all got together to let you have just a little special start to this day.” She gave a little giggle as she then went on in a now-familiar mock-fierce way: “Just don't expect it every day!”

I gave a little “Oh!” myself. That my family would do this for me almost brought forth an eye-water, but I am made of sterner stuff than that, so I sniffed, fought the tear back down again and then thanked them, making a mental note to thank the rest of the family a little later. I was really touched that they had thought of this for the last morning in this house. My worries about what was going on started to fade rapidly, but there was still a niggle in the back of my head and that part of my brain was worrying at it like a feltris at a freshly deceased pakh. The clamour in my mind was enormous, but not as large as it had been just a bit earlier. I plastered a smile on my face and turned my attention to the other two.

The three of us had a pleasant chat about this, that and the next thing, and some of Swayga's ideas for this pending move of establishment were really very sensible. I had a sneaking suspicion that some of them would never have occurred to me.

Our girly moments were brought to an end when Kords reminded me that I was expected down at the Claw in half a bell's time. So all that relaxation with which my day started was nearly wasted as I rushed to get dressed and presentable.

… … ...

“Good morrow, 'Lina.”

“Good morrow, Sookie - and you dear Epp, too. I wasn't expecting you to be here, I must confess. Kords, you said nothing when you returned yesterday and told me of this arrangement. I understood only that Sookie had some matters to discuss.”

“Plans change, m'dear. Plans change. Deal with it!”

The older women looked a little shocked at Kords reply, but I burst into laughter. She was just quoting my own words back at me. And I had a little bet with myself as to the next thing she would say; she did not disappoint me, as she grinned very infectiously: “Maybe not today, some day soon you'll be alright, don't turn the other way.”

I continued the exchange by quoting myself further: “I always see you searching as you try that bit harder, getting closer to the life you're imagining.”

We spoke, no, actually we SANG, a further line together: “No worries, no worries.”

All four of us were laughing after that, so Kords and I didn't have another chance to bandy more of my 'words of wisdom'. The older ones did laugh again after Kords explained that she was just using words I say sometimes – well, far more often, it would appear, than the 'just sometimes' that I thought I did.

“So Kords, what made you scamper down here while I was getting ready?”

“I just wanted to thank Sookie for her help and her education yesterday,” she said casting a sideways glance at Sookie as she did so, “because we are going to be so busy later. I just grabbed the moment.”

I saw Sookie sort of relax as she said that, but supposed that was a reasonable reaction to Kords' words, if looked at in a certain light. But something made that clamour in the back of my head flare up again.

We chatted all together for maybe a hand of moments and then Kords went back home to help Swayga and the kids, who should be back by now.

Which meant that then we got a little more serious.

“Julina,” began Sookie, “I have been thinking about the schooling factors we mentioned at your excellent evening dinner, for which I must again thank you, from Brydas as well as myself. As Megrozen here will be involved, I thought we could discuss it all together. I have a bell before my next appointment, which is also true for Megrozen, so I think we should be able to cover most of the requirements in that time.”

She turned and raised a querying eye-brow in Epp's direction, who nodded her agreement.

“Now, I have had a quick word with Megrozen …”

“Oh, for goodness' sake, just say Epp like everyone else, it's a lot shorter and trips off the tongue far easier.”

“... with … Epp,” she moved her lips as if she were tasting the new word, nodded briefly and focussed once more upon my face, “and she sort of agrees with a feeling I have. It will be a little more work for the two of you, but in the end will save some effort we expect.”

I darted my eyes between the two of them as Sookie continued: “Epp tells me that she and you have already discussed having separate sessions for children and for adults, and then separate sessions within those broad groups for beginners and those more advanced than that.”

I nodded at this, and also at the appropriate moments as she went further: “So, here is my suggestion for you both. I understand from your brief stay, that the Vale children will be more advanced than mere beginners... So let me give you my proposal and then justify it, if I may? … Have two sessions for the advanced ones in the week, on consecutive days. That way the Valers can save a night down here in town, overnighting before and after, maybe, the sessions. If the second day session is early, then maybe they could even save the third night! … Following on from that, if the first session is run later in the day, then that could be another night saved … The problem with that would be possible interference with your duties in the Salon. But it is theoretically possible for them to require a mere single overnighting. And Epp would be glad to take some of the later sessions ...”

I raised a hand to interrupt her there, as I wanted time to think it through.

To cut a long description short, I realised that the idea had a great deal of merit, and yes, maybe one day a week would be hectic for me, on those days that Epp was unavailable. Epp and I would need to co-ordinate closely, but there would be a certain amount of repetition involved so the preparation for the lessons would soon be a routine, and one that I could do up to five days in advance. The food thing would probably also become routine, so all in all it seemed to me to be both workable and sensible. I nodded my acceptance before actually speaking it.

“Excellent! Now as for the two lads, I could make it that, just for that one night, they could have the end room, nearest the bathrooms, of the women's corridor. Any other women would have to use the stairs nearer the common room, or accept that two young lads might see them in their bathrobes. I would, by far, prefer some other arrangement, but, as I have learnt from the more military of my contacts, that solution would be a 'fall-back' position.”

“Fall-back?”

“Yes, apparently in battles, the men try to fight on their preferred terrain, but, if they have to retreat from that place, they like to have a preferred second prepared position. One which they are able to fall back to.”

“Ah! I see. Yes, that seems appropriate.” My thoughts were taken back to that discussion His Honour and Em had had, about killing grounds and the like. I shuddered with distaste, which action was caught by my two companions; so I had to explain. They also felt the distaste, which we quickly skipped over by moving on to discussing the trip to Tranidor.

Which surprisingly was also a topic that Sookie had been involved in.

She had been chatting about it to Epp, wondering if an extra wagoneer would be required, since she had heard that there was quite a large party. Between the two women, they had decided that we should also take three or four frayen and saddles. Some riders could get some practice in, some beginners could be introduced to riding, and there would also be an emergency possibility to summon help more quickly, in the unlikely event of some catastrophe or similar.

“Papa hasn't actually given me permission to go as yet. He was worried about the war with Yod.”

“Yes, that was another thing that we talked about yesterday - Brydas, Kordulen, Epp and I, along with His Honour and Master Michen. It appears that the invading Yodian forces were comprehensively defeated and there are no enemies nearer than Joth, as far as anyone knows.

“The Captain told us all that the following general rules can be applied to travel:
- A fast frayen messenger can make 80 marks in a day, but that is hard work; nevertheless consider 80 as a reasonable maximum.
- A loaded wagon can make 40 marks in a day, again it is hard work.
- Lightly loaded, small groups of troops can barely make 20 marks in a day.
- An army can only make 12 or so marks in a day, as most soldiers have to carry their own kit and belongings.

“Obviously, weather and road conditions and time of year can change these numbers slightly but they are what all planners have been using for many a year. Even if an invader were to land right now, there would be a battle to get past Dekarran which would take days. Then the invaders would have to travel uphill, harried all the while. Then get through the bottlenecks at Teldor and particularly Haligo, all of which would take even more time. Dekarran to Tranidor is around 120 marks, so just travel time would be 10 days, add at least two weeks for the battles, plus another two for the organisation of reinforcements and the fights all the way up the valley, then His Honour does not believe that any invaders could reach Tranidor in any time less than a month, and feels that three months would be more realistic. Particularly since the winter will have set in by then.

“He added that he doubted there were any invaders capable of destroying all Palarandi forces anyway. And, if there were, then nothing could prevent them from getting here, so why change our plans. Or, as you two put it so eloquently earlier, 'no worries'. All of which is a long way round to tell you that your father has approved the trip.”

I squealed and couldn't help but to jump up and down in delight.

“So,” said Epp, “that means we leave tomorrow morning, before the sun comes up. I want to be at the forest's edge by that time. We shall depart from here where we can have some light to load by, then we will start out in the false light of the dawn. We have just over 43 marks to travel tomorrow, we need to get all the way to Brayview before we stop for an overnight. Everyone else has been told, you are the last.”

“Tomorrow? But we are supposed to go on a day after my …” my voice trailed off as I felt SO stupid.

Everything suddenly dropped into place.

People's behaviour, the sort of secrecy, the strange events of this morning.

It was today!

TODAY!

It was my birthday, and I hadn't even realised it.

More stupid than a pakh, Julina!

… … …

I would have turned and run out, if Papa and Swayga weren't holding me. To have so many people sing the birthday song here in the common room of the Claw was just completely embarrassing.

“Today is the day of your birthday.
For the longest time, may the fun stay.
Sweet Julina, we're happy to be here,
As your life moves into a new year.
Such special days, we wish many more
As you open a fresh year's new door.”

This, you will understand, is the standard song sung to everyone, just the name gets changed and the 'sweet' dropped if another syllable is required (or an extra 'sweet' is added if it happens the other way). But I had never had more than seven people sing it before for me, until today.

I gave up counting at forty.

Yes, forty.

I wished a storm would come and sweep me away. I have never been so embarrassed in all my short life. And there were the rest of my family all laughing at me, and my close friends, and their mothers, and Uncle and Sookie, and Epp and Shemel, and Hasinet and Suril, Haka and Haris, all who reside at Em's and Deegrum, and Masters galore – Bezan, Yarling, Pocular, Blandel … – indeed the entire Assembly was there, and the Vale dwelling parents and Waldan and Pomma, and … oh goodness me, far too many more to mention.

It could not get any worse.

And then it did.

His Honour stood, and requested silence. Of course, a request from Milady's representative was tantamount to an order, and it was made in such a commanding tone of voice, that silence fell in a heartbeat.

“We are here today to honour one of Blackstone's foremost citizens. I shall not enumerate her many qualities, qualities of which all in Blackstone are well aware, particularly those she has demonstrated long before Milady Garia, Baroness of Blackstone, set foot here. I am here to make you aware of several other things that Mistress Julina has done to improve all our living conditions, things that have become apparent since I assumed my duties.

“Let us start with Milady's expressed wish to provide education for all. The obvious first step in such an education is to bring writing and reading to a wider circle of people. The Blackstone education system is essentially the brainchild of Mistress Julina, greatly assisted by Mistress Megrozen. Others have helped, but Mistress Julina has already made a start, she has tirelessly chased round town to get candidates and lessons have already been planned, ready to begin as soon as is practical. All will be welcome, and all abilities will be covered. She has just a few more details to settle but an announcement will be made soon. She has found and equipped a room for use as a schoolroom until a purpose-built one is provided. All this has saved Master Jepp a considerable amount of both time and effort as it was he charged by Milady to set it all up. He has been able to concentrate on other topics because of Mistress Julina's ideas and energy.

“Master Bezan assures me that she has made many suggestions that are practical for the improvement not only of the Town but also of the way these improvements are to be implemented. If she could not actually help in some problems, she was able to direct Master Bezan to someone who could. She has advanced our plans by several weeks. Perhaps her most valuable contribution to the town's planning is a suggestion that has yet to be implemented, but it will be quite soon – to do with Milady's request for a Community Hall to be built. I shall not, at this moment, begin to explain that one – that will become apparent.

“From the same source, I am told that some of her suggestions for the design of her family's new house were of such a quality that they have been incorporated in all of the other new builds.

“Furthermore, she has found a simple and yet far-reaching practical idea with regard to personal hygiene, an idea eagerly taken up by almost everyone who has been told about it. That of using the waste water from hand-washing to contribute to the flushing of privies. Now that she has pointed out the possibility of so doing, as is typical with many of her ideas, we elders are left scratching our ageing heads and wondering why WE didn't think of that.

“She has brought back to us an Assembly member who was suffering, she has personally persuaded many residents to stay and contribute to the Town, she even helped one to leave with minimum fuss when it could have turned nasty.

“She has made a very valuable suggestion that, if successful, something we shall know in the Spring, will go a long way to helping with our food supplies, and she has eased the wagoneers lot with a suggestion that is being implemented right now, for a bunkhouse down near where the Loop Road shall join the existing road.

“She has been instrumental, I understand, in making life easier for all you women-folk with the rapid and efficient assistance she gave to Mistress Hasinet. I believe that you all approve of your new underwear and you were most likely measured for it by our day's heroine.”

A titter ran round the room as the women present all giggled. The men looked vaguely embarrassed somehow.

“There are many other instances of ideas that she has had that have made things easier for individuals and/or for the community at large. And many of her ideas have enabled us to speed up some developments and/or do them more efficiently.

“As a result of all this, and in a desire to give my throat a rest, I shall simply announce that the Assembly has unanimously decided to make a present to Mistress Julina, as a thank-you for all her valued contributions, of a Crown, a Solly, a Fenik and a Soo. Since she has now attained her majority, the payment can be made directly to her herself. Prior to today, her father would have had to receive any of this on her behalf, therefore we have all agreed to say nothing until today.”

He beckoned me to him and handed over a small leathern purse with drawstring closure. I knew enough not to look into it. I curtsied in front of him, but my embarrassment was too much to be able to speak. I scuttled back to Papa as quickly as I might, as the Captain continued his little speech.

“Such award being made, I need to point out that it is intended to encourage her ideas in the future. A review shall be held in a year's time to evaluate her ideas made from now on, and a further award shall be made, if warranted. Maybe this will also encourage others to make similar contributions. We shall judge similarly for them. Fellow citizens, please show your appreciation of Mistress Julina with a round of applause.”

Oh Maker! How I wished I could escape as the room reverberated to what sounded as loud as thunder.

The Captain raised his hand once more, and asked Master Pocular to step forward. What on Anmar did HE have to do with my birthday celebrations? Then I remembered his voice and shot a look over to my friends, one of whom was already leading Molly away.

“What am I, a relative newcomer to your, nay, our, Town, doing here at this birthday celebration? Well, I wish to amaze you, and give her a present. But first a word or two of explanation. Mistress Julina and her father, Master Kordulen, visited my workshop one day, whilst still in the throes of setting up. I was experimenting with various things, and samples of discarded experiments were cluttering up the place already. Whilst there, Mistress Julina was very much left in a corner whilst we men discussed things of grave importance. After all, she was just a woman, so why should we afford her any attention?”

He waited for a small growl of disapproval before grinning his most attractive grin. His melting voice was working its effect on the females present, and several of us started slightly squirming. This meant that he could get away with being dismissive of females a little easier than many other men. Despite that, his words did serve to cast a dampener on the squirms.

“And this was a good thing! For she was left alone to make some discoveries for herself. She was playing with some pieces of glass, some different compounds I had used to try to create a clearer mirror. Now I know you all have seen the mirror on the wall over in the Bell, so I know that many of you have seen the advantages of having a mirror made of glass, rather than the much duller, and far more indistinct, polished metal versions that all have had for many years. What Mistress Julina did was play with those pieces of glass mirror whilst she was being ignored. She discovered no less than three things whilst we left her to herself.

“Now it is obvious that she doesn't have the skills to construct stuff herself, but her 'playing' gave her father and I sufficient direction to invent something. I made it and then I made another. The SECOND one has been sent to Palarand to apply for an exclusivity licence. For every one made and sold for the next two or so years, then a royalty will be paid to the combination of myself and Master Kordulen, as the nominated inventors. Mistress Julina is involved only because she gave us the basic idea. And besides, at the time she was still a minor. Master Kordulen and I refined her idea, added our own ideas to that and then I constructed it. Therefore, we have decided to reward Mistress Julina with a quarter of our royalties, whenever they arrive. We are convinced that this item will be an extremely popular luxury and will prove to sell well. Why I'd wager that at least half of you here right now will want one.

“Now some of you will be wanting to know what this item is, but you will still have to wait. For there are another two discoveries to describe first. The second one connects the first and the third.

“For the second one is basically a hitherto unrealised use of the first one and the third is an extension of that second use. I remind you this all came about from things that Mistress Julina discovered simply by 'playing'.

“So it is time for me to show you the first discovery. The one I made first. This is the first ever one in all of Anmar. I must ask you all to not rush, for it might get broken, but this is a present for Mistress Julina and she will show it to you as and when she can and will. I repeat, please show patience and consideration and not grab it. Coming from me, you must realise it is made of glass, and you must all realise that glass can be broken easily. So CARE is the watch word!”

He beckoned me to stand up next to him (cringe, cringe) and then gestured behind me into the crowd where my family still stood. Papa turned and lifted something from the table behind him. He walked forward with a carry bag that had something of a very strange shape in it. He held it out to me, holding the bag handles so that I could fetch the contents out. I peeked into the bag and was surprised to see a round piece of wood that was extended on one side into a longer, straighter, but still rounded, piece of wood which Papa whispered to me was the handle. He then told me to turn it over.

“Maker!” I gasped, in a loud and high squeak.

It was a glass mirror, a clear and perfectly reflective piece of glass mirror, set into a wooden frame, with a handle. The glass was about the size of my face. My hands were trembling as I withdrew the precious object from its carry bag. I could almost not hold it firmly and debated just leaving it in the bag, but the audience would want to see it, so I carefully lifted it out, keeping the glass away from the audience, keeping it to my chest - at the beginning, so they had the same first view as I had had.

Master Pocular nodded his approval and I waited a little before suddenly turning it round. I made sure I had a good grip first.

There were gasps from everyone as they suddenly realised what it was. Some started forward to inspect it but a warning grunt from Master Pocular reminded them quickly of his earlier words.

He held up his hand again and silence fell quite quickly. He then turned to me, and very formally asked: “Mistress Julina, may I please have your hand mirror for a moment?”

I nodded, completely tongue-tied, as I handed it to him.

“Please note that this article now belongs to Mistress Julina. When, or rather I should say if, she agrees to let you inspect it, then it is not yours to hand to your neighbour, it is hers. So do not be inconsiderate enough to pass it on without her permission. I remind you that this is the first one ever made, once broken it will lose its history, its provenance. You may temporarily have charge of it, but it shall never be yours. Treat it with caution and with extreme care.”

I caused a laugh when I looked at my two brothers and reinforced Master Pocular's words. They both scowled and I felt mean, but I knew that they needed constant reminders to be careful, so I lightened the message slightly by saying, semi-jokingly: “That means no staffglobe, or globestaff or whatever you boys call it in the same room as it, and no shevesty anywhere near it. And you do NOT touch it under any circumstances!”

After the polite laughter died down, Master Pocular started once more: “But, Your Honour, Masters, Mistresses, I wish now to demonstrate the second thing that Mistress Julina brought to our attention. Please look at the hand mirror as I hold it against my chest. Those to my left can see those to my right reflected in it, and similarly in the opposite direction, whilst those ahead can see only themselves. Do you all see that? Move your heads slightly from one side to the other to see how that reflection moves. I know we all know this from looking at reflections in pools, and in polished metal mirrors, all our lives, but it is fundamental to what I wish now to explain.

“Now, it works because the room is light, therefore we can all see what there is to see in this room. Without light, any mirror is useless. Mistress Sukhana and young Kordulet have been busy yesterday and today preparing this room for the next demonstration, and I thank them now for their work. Mistress Kordulet, would you please be kind enough to bring your box and place it on the table in front of me?”

I watched in amazement as Kords picked up a heavy-looking box and brought it forward. This was kept a complete secret from me. As for the box, well there were two slots cut into the side walls, a bit like lonely doors into a model windowless house. Master Pocular then placed a general lantern by one of the front corners of the box. This lantern illuminated the top and the plain front of the box.

I need at this moment to describe our lanterns to you. A flame is lit at the centre and there are six (some do have more, admittedly, but six is the norm) sides which can be slid up or down, making the light flow out in all directions, if all slides are open, or just in one direction if five of the six slides are shut. When all slides are open, then we call it a general lantern. When three are open, three all next to each other, then it is a half lantern. If each alternate one is shut then it is a half general lantern, or sometimes an old description (apparently it is old Chivan) is used, and it is called a trivial lantern. I mention in passing that there are names for each possible combination, but the others are not relevant here.

“So you can see that this general lantern here is in no position to shine into the slots in the sides of the box. Yes, we all know that a polished metal mirror will reflect SOME light, but it is considerably dulled in the process. But, if I use the hand mirror so, then some light is reflected off the mirror and INTO the box through the slot; a light of unusual clarity. I can demonstrate this better if we shut off all light except this lantern. Please move until you can see the sides of the box, those nearest should perhaps lower themselves slightly so others can see from behind you. If my assistants could just close the rooms lanterns and darken the windows, leaving this one general lantern here alight?”

And so the curtains were drawn across the thick glass windows (the Claw had yet to have the modern windows installed), the other lanterns darkened and we were all plunged into gloom, relieved solely by the one lantern. When all indicated that they could see one or other of the slots, Master Pocular took the hand mirror and held it at such an angle that some light was reflected into the slot on one side, which was of course also visible through the slot on the far side.

“We now have the ability to direct a clear light into dark places. Without waving a lantern around.”

It was only when Master Pocular said that, that several people drew in their breaths. The realisation of what that could mean had dawned on those ones. I confess it took me a good few heartbeats before the full significance struck me.

“This was the second thing that Mistress Julina discovered whilst we ignored her. She actually used it without thinking to retrieve a parchment from behind a chest near the wall.”

He paused.

“And now for the third thing she discovered that day. I have here another lantern, but this time the inside of the slides are mirrors, not the dull metal usually used. Here let me light the flame … See how the light is the same as the other lantern when both are generals. Now let me close five of the slides so we have a simple single direction lantern on each.”

There was another gasp as the mirrored light showed itself to be much brighter.

“You now have the basics of what Mistress Julina did. I have taken this a little further in my experiments and have here a special lantern, which I call a beam lantern. It opens only on one side, the five remaining sides are made of many carefully adjusted fragmental pieces of glass mirrors carefully arranged to produce this effect.”

He opened the one slide and again we all gasped at a thin beam of concentrated light that shot out across the room.

“I have measured this beam of light and found it to be good to read with up to a cast and more away. I can think of several uses for something like this, and I have no doubt that many more will appear as we continue to experiment. All this is directly due to what Mistress Julina did that day. With the arrangements of the mirror pieces inside the lantern we now have a much brighter source of light, all from the one inner candle.

“What does this mean? Well, just for one, we now have a concentrated beam of light that we can use for signalling in the dark. We can pass messages in the night! We can even use a concentrated beam to cast a light forward from a wagon or a coach, and light up the roadway ahead, to help those poor wagoneers who are delayed on our roads and have been caught by nightfall.”

I gave a gasp, as that was exactly the idea I had had in the back of my mind, the one that had been mentioned a while ago, using lights to pass messages. I had not thought about the wagoneers assistance.

“Now, I have been presented with a great difficulty. The way the Laws and Rules of this country of ours work, we can gain exclusivity licences on things. But not on ideas. Mistress Julina did not invent the mirror, she did not invent the hand mirror, she did not invent a lantern. She has no ability to construct any of these things. But she had IDEAS to expand their use. So how do I thank her for that? I cannot pay anything for just an idea. But without her, these things would not exist.

“I have discussed this with the Assembly, and with Master Kordulen and we have decided to copy the Assembly's idea and pay her a sum of money to thank her for the ideas. So I have here a half-crown with which to pay her. Here mistress, a few more coins for that leathern purse you received earlier from His Honour. Mayhap we can have less darkness now, once more, that I may hand her the coins without spilling them?”

The room lightened once more and Master Pocular handed over the hand mirror, again formally, to my waiting hands. He took a half-crown's worth of coins from his pouch and placed them into my now-vacant spare hand, the mirror being easily clutched in just one.

“Finally, I will point out, yet again, that Mistress Julina has the first ever hand glass mirror in her hand. To give her a special feeling of exclusivity, then I shall refrain from selling any of these until the end of this month. Further hand mirrors will be available for purchase from the 1st of the next month. That does not stop you from placing orders of course,” he finished with a chuckle.

… … …

Then it was the turn of Master Bezan and Master Rostan to pile more embarrassments upon my poor head. They described first my hot water tank idea, then my questions, and finally my design. Then they shocked me by saying that no fewer than two hands of my design have already been installed in various of the houses around town and that I would, now I am considered an adult, be receiving royalties from that.

After that were a few more speakers who had some nice and good things to say, like Master Jepp who made some mention of the schooling developments, and then the formalities were, at long, long last, over.

But that meant that I was now open to the demands of individuals.

I showed a few my hand mirror and only one went to hand it on to someone else, but she was quickly reminded of what Master Pocular had said, and I gave my permission for her to do so. Many wanted to just chat and so on, so I smiled and chatted and nodded - and wished to be somewhere else entirely.

… … ...

And so it went for a few moments more, with several others giving me presents, most of which I found it necessary to place on the table behind me.

I had some more riding clothes from Hasinet and Haka, and Haka and Suril gave me a new quilt for my new bed.

Swayga had somehow found a delicious silk nightdress from somewhere, I never did discover how she managed that, whilst Papa promised me his gift a little later and so it went on.

I shall list no more but I was aware I was a very lucky woman indeed.

It rapidly became obvious that they had all talked beforehand for I was told I now had a fully furnished bedroom in which I could also sit in an easy chair at a small table. With a general lantern AND a beam lantern.

Almost all the presents were of a practical nature like that, the one exception being the portrait of me that Pomma had done, originally commissioned by Papa, but ending up as a gift to me from her.

Here it is:

Redhead 15 greened eyes_FotoSketcher cropped.jpg

The girls gave me the usual things that we girls exchanged each year, combs and hair clips and the like and I received many other thoughtful things from others, like bedclothes and extra leggings and a fine pair of shoes. Em and family gave me my own fork, suitably engraved, which I found delightful. I wrote down the list so that I might formally thank the givers, but will not bore you all with it right now.

… … …

And so it was that the surprise meeting came to an end and we went from the Claw across to the new house, where I could admire all the furniture and clothes that were waiting for me there. I was nearly in tears by then, as the kindnesses from so many people were showered upon me.

It had taken a while to leave the meeting, with so many farewells to be made. The Steward was particularly nice as HE thanked ME, and promised his support in the future. My back must have been black and blue from all the 'gentle' pats and slaps I received. Everyone had something to say and everyone congratulated me, even the two Assembly members who had voted against women, Masters Torin and Sinidar.

Papa and Kords struggled to carry everything so I could keep my precious hand mirror to myself. But we made it to my new room, where I almost dropped the hand mirror in surprise.

The room was fully furnished, the bed made and many of my personal trinkets neatly and tastefully arranged on various storage surfaces. On the bed, open, was a partly packed travelling baggage which I knew was the work of Swayga and Kords, whom I thanked with my eyes.

The whole surprise event had proved itself to be extremely emotionally draining and I was relieved to just have my family and closest friends nearby for supportive hugs when I was finally away from the throng that had by now become oppressive.

I reacted as I usually do.

I burst into tears.

… … …

They were all sensitive enough to my needs to leave me in peace for just a little while. Female tears seem to throw males off their stride, they seem unable to grasp the emotional release and sometimes cleansing nature of a good cry. So Papa and the boys rushed away leaving the girls - my three sisters and my four friends – and the two adults, Swayga and Mousa, Molly's mother. They were all for that moment crowded into my new room, until all the air was used up, it seemed.

Swayga took the younger two away, along with Mousa, which just left my four friends and my eldest sister, who was becoming closer and closer to a friend as time went by.

We were soon all chittering and wittering about the journey tomorrow and what we might get up to – and groaning at the so early start. Soon, everyone had drifted off leaving just Kords and I to get on with our packing for the morrow.

There was a tentative scratching at the door and Papa put his head round the frame.

“Is it alright to come in?” he inquired almost fearfully.

“Of course, Papa. It would be an honour.”

“Kords, my dear. Could you please give us some time alone, just the two of us? I would be most grateful.”

“Certainly, Papa. I'll see both of you soon, then.”

… … …

I am aware that I am writing this as a sort of detailed description of what our life was like in those days, and as a sort of family history, but the conversation that followed with Papa was sad and happy, bitter and sweet, history and future, awkward and free-flowing – and most shall remain private, I'm afraid.

Again and again he thanked me for taking over the family as I had done. We had mixed emotions as he called up memories of Mama and things that we had done. He told me some stories from his own youth, funny and serious ones. We discussed each individual sibling and where they might be headed in life, we discussed the town, we discussed this new house and he surprised me with yet another purse that jangled as he handed it over. Apparently, on each of our birthdays, he had placed an initial Solly in a leather purse, one purse per child. On each of our birthdays, he then added half a Solly (= 10 Feniks or 40 Soos), meaning that each of us would have 9 Sollies on our 16th Birthday, that's the initial full Solly plus 16 half Sollies. As a further present for making it to adulthood, he would add a further Solly to round it up to an even Crown. He apologised that he could not afford more over the years, but he was determined to be even-handed and make sure that each kid got exactly the same.

He wanted me to have something else though, something that was private and personal, and then he wanted to give me something else as a reward for running the family for all that time.

This is where it started getting more than embarrassing again, but he insisted. He told me I had one year to decide what I wanted, and he would get whatever it was for my next birthday. Maybe a frayen, for example, or a wagon, or a range if by then I had my own separate home, and so on and so forth. He wanted this to be separate from my 16th birthday celebrations as this was a thank you for my work as a sort of mother, and would be a present the others did not receive. His reasoning was that I had as yet no experience of being an adult, and what I might think I wanted now may not be what I wanted in a years time. How very wise that proved to be! He extracted a promise from me that I would choose two things, maybe a frayen and a steam engine, or a … oh, neither of us knew what other examples to give.

But I gave the promise to that effect and so it was that I was eventually left to pack my belongings for the trip that was so suddenly upon me.

I did though cause some consternation as I decided that I would sleep in my new room for that night and Kords could share the house with me; we would still eat at the old house, as it was obvious we would not be able to move in totally on that day. So a priority was to get Kords' bed and belongings moved. We actually achieved much that day, and we gave Julu and 'Kin a treat, by moving them as well. Thus for the first time ever, none of us children had to share a room! Papa promised to come down to the new house to fetch the younger ones when Kords and I left for our meeting at the Claw, before it even got light.

With so much that had happened and so much physical work that we put in, Kords and I collapsed into our respective beds and fell asleep immediately, after deciding, just for one night, not to have a split sleep.


up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A great Tradition starts.

To recognize the contributions of both a youth but also a women puts Black Stone on the fast track to success. With the new recognition of the importance of schooling and the resource rich environment of masters of there craft and the encouragement of all Black Stone will become the innovation capital of the kingdom.

If Garia remembers her worlds history one of the greatest advantages the Romans had was there troops were also construction workers. What we would call combat engineers traveled with the troops building as they went. With Yod on the path of war there is the immediate need of some fortifications to protect this vulnerable jewel of the kingdom.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Well it's about time

Considering her contributions I think even the fair amount of money she received is less than she deserves. At least that is a start of a nest egg. Speaking of which, when is banking coming to this little town. I mean everybody now knows how much money she has so how does Blackstone citizens secure significant amounts of money?

Anyway, 'dumb as a pakh', I like that. Alpaca in person are not that bright on Earth either :).

Hi GR

thanks for commenting.
At the moment, given that there are no bankers, galloping inflation has yet to devastate the Alaesian countries :-)
Please don't forget that communications are tedious at the moment and there is a finite amount that can be done, particularly as the days are relatively short.
If J had been given more, then she might have become a target for robbers or less civilised people, but the amounts are sufficient to tempt a little greed as an incentive to contribute to the development.
I am sure you are aware that there are more developments around the corner ......

Thanks for your encouragement, it really does help. The last episode garnered just one comment, which I confess is somewhat depressing.

More to entertain you will be coming shortly. #33 is ready, just the final tidy up to do. #34 is half done, and AO #2 is also half done.

All the best

J

Well I agree as far as what the town gives out goes

It is no doubt not an automatically recurring source of money to her. However her receipt of royalties and the like will be an income stream and since the percentages involved is now public knowledge, one can make a rough guess as to how much she will pull in from that source. Still, the coin needs to be stored somewhere so I assume if one winds up with say 50 crowns or more, that is a significant amount of funds and should be put away securely.

Wow.

Nicely done here.

On another note, not only is Julina smart, she's gorgeous. Now I see why people are cautious of her temper at times. lol

Maggie

Oh my! Julina is truly a

Oh my! Julina is truly a gorgeous 16 year old. When I saw her drawn face, she immediately reminded me of three very famous actresses on the 1940s-50s. Lana Turner (altho she was blonde). Veronica Lake, who was a redhead, and one very, very famous song/dance/comedy actress Lucille Ball, who also was a redhead. Wonder if Julina could get Mistress Pomma to do a drawing of Milady Gari so we could all see what she looks like?

Really Good Series

While I'm an ardent reader of SEE, this series just hadn't caught my interest, but I decided to give it a try a few days ago and have quickly read from post 1 through the latest posting. I'm really enjoying reading about the life detail, challenges, and hardships of the people in Blackstone as they work to adapt and prosper given the changes that Garia has thrust on their community.

Julia, thanks so much for creating and sharing this story with us. It's a wonderful companion to Penny's SEE series.