Eve - Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version
Eve  

Chapter 14
(Revised)

 

Simon Jones is Eve Jones. But she didn't know.

 

 
 
Previously:

Yesterday's shopping trip turned into a disaster.

Now the story continues.
 
 
Eve Chapter 14
 
 
The last Sunday in September started quietly, I just hoped the day would stay that way. Of course, after the stress of yesterday I hadn't got around to any coursework so should really do some today. I rose just after eight and couldn't hear mum yet.

I remembered to take my morning tablets this time, as usually mum had to remind me. I'd be glad when I could cut them back down. As I felt there was no soreness, I'd now stopped the painkillers. The sleeping pills weren't needed very often and I was keen not to overuse them, weren't they addictive?

This morning it was just one antibiotic and one anti-depressant. I'd see Dr Fox on Thursday about stopping those as well.

I went to the shower. It was lovely, now the dressing was off, to let the water flow over my head. My hair was starting to grow again and was over an inch long already. I wondered how long it would be before I didn't need the wig.

Once back in my bedroom, I got my new make-up kit out to redo my nails and toes. Today, I used a simple, natural, look on my face. Mind you, so far I had never worn loud make-up, at least not for the two weeks since I'd started having to wear make-up. Once done, I looked at myself in my little mirror and smiled, I felt alot happier just by making myself look better. As we weren't going anywhere today I hadn't really needed to wear any but mum had suggested I wear it every day for the practice. Today, I'd have worn it regardless just for that positive feeling.

I dressed simply. The weather was unseasonably mild again today, the high 60s, 20C, so I wore a light skirt and a long sleeved blouse. I felt a strange calm as I dressed, as if this was meant to be, not something that had been forced on me.

Finally I was ready to head downstairs for breakfast. Today was a simple croissant and fruit brekkie, trying not to get the pastry flakes or the jam on my skirt, or blouse, was challenging indeed. Mum appeared shortly afterwards, having had a shower soon after me. She was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, I had a feeling the gardening needed doing, despite the recent lack of rain.

I was just heading upstairs to work on my coursework when the phone rang. Mum was still in the kitchen so answered, spoke a few words and rang off.

"Eve, that was Mr Dixon. Apparently Dave Stevens has got himself a solicitor and they have deferred the court hearing for a week. The initial word is that he's claiming you harassed him and did the damage to the car yourself. They are calling you, Claire and me as witnesses, we'll get a summons in the post in a few days."

Any thoughts of my coursework just vanished. If it weren't for the anti-depressants I was still on, I could have broken down there and then. As it was, I slumped on the stairs and banged my fist on the wall. Mum came over to hug me. Claire then came running in through the kitchen door with a sour look on her face.

"How dare he!"

I made a quick assumption as to what she was talking about.

"I don't know, what does he hope to achieve?"

"I don't know either."

She sat next to me, mum having moved out of the way, and we hugged each-other. Mum, in the meantime, was talking to Sharon who had followed Claire. Sharon said she'd received the same phone call as us, as if we hadn't guessed.

We were at a loss as what to do. I told Claire I was supposed to do some coursework and she asked what I was doing.

"I've three assignments. There's a comparison of the approaches to international news on the Guardian and Telegraph websites, an essay on the treatment of Jane Austin novels by television and film over the past ten years and a review of the first one hundred days of Obama's presidency, and what it means for the UK."

"I've got an essay on President Obama as well, why don't we work together?"

Claire dashed home and returned with her laptop and books. We headed upstairs without a word to either mum but left the bedroom door open. The bags containing my new clothes had now arrived in my room but remained to be sorted and put away.

We worked for three hours to complete both essays then worked together on my Jane Austin. I hadn't seen any of the recent films but had read the original novels. Claire was an Austin nut so an invaluable source of trivia. The rest of the info we got from imdb.com . That left one assignment to complete after lunch.

Claire reluctantly went home. Sharon always insisted their Sunday dinner should be at lunchtime, whereas we kept the dinner in the evening, the same as the rest of the week.

Mum and I had a light lunch. I hadn't realised but whilst Claire & I were studying, mum had gone shopping on foot for some fresh bread and soft cheese. The French have a saying, although I suspect it's an advertising slogan:

"Du pain, du vin et du Boursin."

I'd get the bread and the cheese, but not the wine. Situation normal for a sixteen year old in the UK. It had been a little different in France for those two weeks at the camping site as I had been allowed watered-down wine with the main meal of the day. Anyway, today's lunch was filling but light on the calories.

An hour later, Claire returned. She'd only had the one bit of homework so wanted to help me again. We used my computer and Claire's laptop to go through both newspaper websites at the same time and managed a three thousand word essay. Once that was saved, we decided on a mutually pleasing kiss and cuddle session.

Mum shouted at five for me to get down and Claire to go home. Of course, both of us needed the bathroom first to repair our make-up. Claire hadn't been wearing any today, until our kissing session.

Mum was preparing the Sunday roast and was putting a chicken in the oven. I had to grab an apron to finish preparing the potatoes and the rest of the veg. Just ninety minutes later we sat down to a substantial dinner. Mum had been careful to control my diet for the past week but over this weekend had thrown the diet book away, it seemed.

"A diet isn't won or lost on the basis of one day," offered mum.

I didn't have an answer to that. Mum wanted to sit in front of the box to watch more X Factor but I wanted to achieve something more meaningful. I phoned Claire.

"Of course I can, try stopping me!"

Claire and I went straight upstairs and finally attacked the bags of shopping. Before we started there was plenty of space in my wardrobe and drawers, but by the time we'd finished I reckoned I'd need a lot more space, a girl cannot have too many clothes.

Of course, another fashion show was demanded. This time we both promised to keep our bras on, Claire particularly didn't want to have to explain herself again. Before our shopping trip had been ruined, we'd picked up some sandals and shoes for me. The end-of-summer sales had proved useful, but I had also needed shoes and boots for every autumn and winter occasion.

I had never realised previously that eight handbags and shoulder bags were needed, to match shoes, coats, and jackets. But we had bought eight bags of differing sizes, colours and styles. Now all I had to do was find somewhere to keep the bags, plus work out what I had to put in them, including my new purse.

Then I found the strange box from the lingerie store. Claire started to giggle straight away. When I opened the box I saw two flesh coloured jelly like mounds. I was confused.

"Where are your new bras?" asked Claire.

"Hang on! I'm not changing my bra, not after last time."

"No, just find one of those 34B bras."

I found one easily, they hadn't been put away yet. Claire picked up one of the mounds and placed it inside one of the cups. She repeated with the other cup.

"They are breast enhancers. They'll change your A cup to a B cup."

"But I'm 34AA, apparently."

"You'll be 34A soon enough, but sometimes you'll want, or need, to be 34B. You'll see."

Fortunately, I wasn't asked to wear that bra and was able to put the enhancers back in their box. Claire helped me stow the new lingerie. I did a quick tally of what had been spent over the past few days. It was substantial. We went downstairs and Claire went home.

I went into the kitchen and poured a glass of water for my bedside cabinet, ready for when I finally went to bed. I took it up and changed into a negligée at the same time, before returning to the lounge. I sat down next to mum, Mum looked as if she was having a serious conversation with herself, then she spoke to me.

"Eve, we spent alot of money yesterday and I guessed you wondered where it came from."

"I did, particularly as you haven't been at work."

"I was made redundant."

"When, why?"

"When you first went into hospital I knew the company was in trouble and I'd heard there was an imminent takeover brewing. When it finally happened, my job was one of those to go. It was easy for them to choose as I wasn't in the office at the time, however because I had been there for eleven years I got a good package, much better than the minimum. The money came through on Thursday."

"What will you do now?"

"I don't know, but you are more important right now. We have enough money to last out for a few months, even if I invest some of the redundancy money."

I was pleased that mum didn't have to worry and swept myself upstairs in my new negligée, forgetting all my worries.

The hot chocolate could keep for a night, again.

up
302 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As smart as Eve's Mum seems

As smart as Eve's Mum seems to be, she should be able to get another job very soon.

Remember, no matter what, in the end our hero/heroine gets...

a reasonably happy ending. That is IF my memory is right.

-- snicker --

It is the getting there that may leave a bitter taste in his/her mouth.

Who or whom are leaking medical and other info on Eve and why? What is their agenda?

What of the school and their odd actions? Just protecting their asses or do they truly care about Eve?

The key question is IMHO who is the real person? Eve or Simon or are both the same person mostly?

Is Eve/Simon being manipulated or drugged with hormones?

Though the comments by the other doctors and the surgeon suggest it is her own body that is turning increasingly female and on it's owning a large part due to injury to the hypothalamus from the tumor and surgery. And it was doing so before she started getting the various pills.

The hypnosis revealed dreams/feelings have convinced Eve, her mom and Dr. Fox that Eve is the real person.

Dr. Fox admitted to using hypnosis on Eve to help her recall her dreams and suppressed feelings. But I believe from what I have read and heard that hypnosis is at best inexact. IE it works on only some people.

Plus, for example, hypnosis recovered memories are suspect at best. Are they real memories or the product of our likes, fear, experiences, suggestions, etc.? IE are they real or made up out of whole cloth?

And Mom's actions hint that she knows more about Eve/Simon's past and personality that she has yet told her child.

And as this story encourages some paranoia was Mom's redundancy in part a product of info being leaked about her child and his/her medical issues?

So happy this new and improved version is being posted. The original had me hooked. A little spit and polish is making it shine all the brighter.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

But Shiraz did tell us something

WillowD's picture

Finally. One of the little mysteries are explained. Namely, where Mum is getting money for the shopping spree.

David

He may have secured the services of a solicitor, but after being suspended from school, barred from the local shopping precinct and having been caught in the act of vandalism, he's not going anywhere fast, and if he doesn't get a custodial sentence this time, he'll likely be the recipient of a restraining order (which, if breached, could see a custodial sentence imposed).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!