A Longer War 5

Printer-friendly version

CHAPTER 5
We rolled into the big city, and Wilf went looking for the best pub. No, not really. There were no pubs. No houses, no streets, nothing but rubble and blank-eyed locals staring at us without any life in their faces.

The Sappers had bulldozed a few roadways for us, but I suspected they didn’t actually match what had lain there before we arrived. Behind us, the Graves Registration boys had what must have been the worst job in the world.

Jerry was falling back, but our vehicles were well and truly buggered. We had done what we could in leaguer, tensioning the tracks and topping up the fluids, but Bob and Harry’s fondness for reversing had almost stripped the gearbox. Never mind. As everyone else seemed to be on their way south, we got a new issue, welded frame this time. As we climbed in, Bob was smiling.

“Try not to bugger this one as well, Harry! What we going to call her?”

Wilf was quick, as usual, “Him, mates! Stanley, of course. Oliver always says about Stan getting him into another fine mess”

Bob was grinning. “Stan it is. And it’s Harry that’s been getting us out of messes, so let’s see if we can keep this one as virgina intacta as the old one”

Over the next few days, life seemed to start emerging from the rubble around us. We were offered a billet in a field of tents, but after a pretty short chat we said ‘no ta’ and stayed with our new transport. Wilf continued to do surprisingly good stuff with powdered eggs and bully beef, and there were not only NAAFI wagons but also locals willing to swap the odd bottle for anything issue that we didn’t use.

The locals took such a long time to thaw I almost felt that we were the invaders, not the Jerries. Along with my daydreams about being a two-fisted hero I had, in my adolescent way, dreamt of French girls. We would arrive, put the Evil Hun to the sword, and girls would, well, girls just would. In the end, I heard that the girls, women, grandmothers would indeed, but it was done for food, and their eyes stayed blank as our boys had their knee-tremblers behind random piles of rubble.

I slept badly then. I would wake suddenly, soaked in sweat, a shout half-heard on my lips, and several times I found Bob beside me, a gentle presence and even a hug. I never felt that he was up to anything unnatural, no queer stuff, but rather that he was acting like a father, soothing his boy to sleep. It helped, and so did the booze we managed to acquire.

I suspect now that we were left in relative peace deliberately, for when we began a push to the South-East we were well-rested and mounted on fresh kit, and Jerry was getting a severe beating somewhere to the South. I saw pictures on the news reels when the Kinema Corps set us up a screen, pictures of a place called Falaise, and I gave thanks we had not been there. What they had done to us outside Caen was absolutely nothing to what we did to them. I thought of all the old bible lessons, the stuff about reaping whirlwinds, but all I could bring to mind was pieces of men that I had sent flying with my high explosive.

For the next push, we were teamed up with some of the Yeomanry, and they were so like our dead Officer I nearly cried. Mounted in armoured cars, they swept and sneaked till they found the enemy, and then we rolled up for some more robust and physical recon. It was different now, for Jerry was in full retreat, but that didn’t mean it was a doddle. He was a sharp bastard, your German, and we still lost mates steadily.

We had stopped and leaguered with the rest of the troop, one day in July or August, the air still heavy with Summer heat and the threat of a thunderstorm, and Sergeant Neville, Jim, of Seven Two was over with us, trying to swap some souvenir or other for some of the fresh eggs Wilf had liberated. Bob had upped the price, or rather reduced the number of eggs, and Sarge Neville was laughing out loud, calling Bob a thieving Arab bastard who had clearly spent too fucking long with the rest of the wogs in Africa, when the back of his head came off and his brains splashed all over Stan’s side plate, the sound of the shot coming a second later.

The East Riding boys were quick, but they never found the sniper. We buried Jim just off the road, and two days later a frighteningly young man was dragged into that night’s leaguer and kicked half to death before an Officer could get involved. I had sprung forward as the first kick went in, but Ernie had grabbed my arm.

“Leave it alone, mate. Look at the cunt’s collar”

I walked over to what looked like a tall fifteen year old boy, and I saw the same eyes I had seen in Caen: flat, passive, devoid of hope. There were zigzags on his collar, twin lightning bolts. One of the East Riding lads, the one who had the boy’s arm twisted so sharply I expected at any moment to hear the bone crack, saw where my eyes were pointed.

“Aye, son. Bloody SS. Adolf’s little favourites. Nothing to do with this bastard except to slit his fucking throat, but the boss says I can’t. That right, Mr Allsop?”

His Lieutenant nodded. “You are correct, Eyres. We need to see him deposited still breathing with our intelligence colleagues, but I am watching his eyes. I rather suspect that his mother enjoyed being fucked in her arse---yes, you do speak English then. I suggest you do not take up cards as a living, your face is too open. And I look forward to seeing you hanged when we have the time and opportunity. Eyres, at your own pace, and with only the most necessary of violence, remove this piece of filth and deposit it appropriately for interrogation. Name?”

The young man stared at him, sullen, silent.

“NAME!”

The boy drew himself up. “Wilders, Gunther. Sturmmann”

He rattled off what must have been his number in German, and then sprang to attention.

“Heil—“

Eyres punched him in the face.

“You can fuck off now son. Do that again, and I will start breaking bits of you. Bill, Jack, fix bayonets if you please”

They left as a group, two eighteen-inch bayonets prodding at the German’s kidneys, and I gave Bob a raised eyebrow. He sighed.

“Not nice boys, Ginge. Best avoided, if you can, but, well, best not taken prisoner. If you have the option, that is”

A remark I remembered. I didn’t realise what it would bring to me a few months later.

The locals were different now. With Jerry running like a Waterloo Cup hare, we didn’t seem to be seeing the destruction that had been Caen. There were flowers and tears, music and kisses, and it was clear even to me that some of the girls really wanted to say their thank-yous in a physical way.

She was plump, with blonde hair and dimples. The boys smiled at me for a week.

up
194 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am totally hooked here

I wish my grandfather had been able to talk about his time in WWII. All I know is that he and his crew - "The Calgary Tanks" were a big part of the push through Italy, and he was wounded in action at least twice.

DogSig.png

King's Own Calgary Regiment (RCAC)

Did some checking. Your Grandfather's unit is now presently part of the King's Own Calgary Regiment (14th Armored Regiment) which is a Reserve unit of the Canadian Armed Forces based out of the Mewata Armoury. The unit was originally an Infantry Reg that was transferred to the new Armored branch of the Canadian Army. When they shipped out to England they were initially issued with the Matilda Infantry Tank. Later they were issued the new Churchill's. For the Italy campaign they were given Sherman's. They saw quite a bit of combat in Italy and gave exemplary service to the Crown.

Newspaper clippings

If you know the name of the Paper, you can request a copy from their files. You will probably have to pay a nominal fee for a copy but most Newspapers are very willing to provide copies. Even if that paper no longer exists, other Newspapers probably have access to the records.

Edit: The Canadian Armed Forces Public Affairs office also is a good place to find this information.

calgary tanks

the calgary tanks were also at dieppe in '42. there are a lot of stories about dieppe but they all suggest that if your grandfather missed it he was very fortunate.

A rather interesting story to

A rather interesting story to be sure. It is actually nice to read a story that is not about our American military; but rather one or more of our Allied "brothers and sisters".
So many times, it is almost like we did everything on our own and no-body else was around, which we all know today is not and was not true.
The Falaise mentioned in the story by Ginge is what is called the "Falaise Gap". It was set up as a joint American-Anglo-Canadian operation, and is actually considered the last part of the Normandy Campaign. The intent was do a pincher movement by Patton's 3rd Army on one side and the Anglo-Canadian Forces on the opposite side and cut off the retreat of the German Army out of France. Due to the usual things that war plans have a habit of doing; which is look good on paper and when placed into operation NOT SO MUCH... Pretty much many Germans were able to escape; although an estimated 10,000 German troops died in "The Gap", and 50,000 were taken prisoner.
Depending on who you talk to about this battle action, we won, we lost, it was a draw. It did show to senior officials that the Allies definitely needed to hone their "lets work to together skills".

Falaise

I set the ending of the 'Ride' books at the Falaise memorial to Polish 1st Armoured, quite deliberately. It is a haunting place. What a lot of people forget is that before the 'Cobra' breakout of the US forces that led to the encirclement, the US forces were facing one to one and a half panzer divisions, while the Anglo-Canadians had six to seven in front of them. The fighting on their front was of a savagery and cost not seen since in the West since WWI. There were mistakes on all sides. When the pocket was closing, Hitler ordered an attack WEST.

Regardless of how people see it, Falaise was an allied victory, for it broke the resistance of the Germans in France and cost them an immense quantity of hardware. The Canadians then faced some of the worst fighting of the war, clearing the banks of the Scheldt to allow the use of the port of Antwerp. I find it profoundly offensive how so much of their pain remains overshadowed, forgotten or simply unknown.

Longer war ...

is OK by me! Make it a nice, long story.

So far, it's great. I love the dialog, filled with Brit slang.

Jolly good!

Red MacDonald

Hi Steph, I'm really

Hi Steph, I'm really appreciating your writing in this story - enjoyed doesn't seem appropriate for the subject matter.
I thought you had done one of your little cross references to Riding Home, but it seems Darren's great great uncle was in a different regiment.

Sneaky

Corporal Eyres was a Royal Marine Commando, buried at Ranville, from my memory of that one. Doesn't mean he didn't have other relatives elsewhere.

I based the little incident on two things. One was the utter and visceral hatred of the SS felt by Anglo-Canadian troops, especially the 12th 'Hitlerjugend', after atrocities like those listed here, which fell largely on the Canadians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_SS_Panzer_Division_Hitlerj...

This is one of the photos that inspired the incident above:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12th_SS_Panzer_Division_Hitlerj...

And this one, before the beating
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/344947652680895419/

Forgotten

fallen. The war was so vast that all should be honored. The many mistakes on both sides at all levels cost even more lives. At some point we did learn to try and keep from making the same mistakes, but today I see those same errors still being made. I can pray that someday we will be better.

hugs
Grover

Now I know

Where this story is going. This one is the tie-in to the chapters at the very end of Riding Home, where Darren and Chantelle find out about their relatives who served in WWII.

This story has my stomach churning at the images it throws out, but it's too damn good to even think of stopping before the story ends.

I've never served in a war, but I've gone through some experiences that still scare the shit out of me, some of those having been part of what set me on the path to discovering my transsexuality.

No matter what some people say, we, the citizens of the "free world", owe our freedom to all of those who have given their lives to keep that freedom safe, and to those who fought and returned home, some of them broken and shattered by what they lived through. Any veteran I see has my utmost respect, they deserve it.

Still remenber his black panther shoulder patch

I had an uncle who rode with Patton's third army as a Sgt first, in charge of a tank destroyer. He particularly enjoyed doing in SS tanks,claimed no Nazi crew ever got out of their Tigers