Who Was I - 2

Printer-friendly version

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor

Is Bill really a changeling? What happened to his childhood? He doesn't know. Do you?

Part 2 Did Bill Survive the party?

"How do you think they'll handle the fun tonight?" I said, as we started up the hill toward the Stevens.

"Are you still worried about that Bill? I'm sure it will be simple. And, besides how will anyone know you don't remember any of that?"

"You're right I guess. I'm just bugged a bit. Ahh, looks like we won't be the first there."

While the party wasn't yet in full swing, several couples had already arrived. I handed Shelly the bottle of wine we'd brought. "A little something for the cause."

"Oh, you know we always have plenty Bill. You shouldn't have. But come on in. We're still getting everything set up. You can put your coats in the usual pile in the guest room." And, with that, she was off. That lady never stops!

When we got back to the 'action' I noticed that another couple had arrived and thought "I wonder who all will be here tonight." "Shelly, anything we can do? You guys really work to get things ready and we normally just show up to enjoy."

"Okay Bill. Would you run go get one of the hors d'oeuvres trays and put it in the dining room? We're only waiting on the Mitchells now."

I saw the Mitchells arriving, as I came out with the tray. I noticed what I suspected was part of the evening's activities and wandered over to take a look. "Hmmm. Looks like Becky was right. I hope it works out." I then went out and heard Shelly saying. "Okay, we're all here. I'll go get some things and we can get started on the activity while we chat and do hors d'oeuvres."

On her return, she had the pile I'd noticed. "Okay, as many of you probably guessed, we're going to try to match who each list of childhood memories matches." She set up an easel with all the listed laid out with numbers. "I've retyped all your responses, and put them here in no particular order, so you can't use the order to make your guesses like John did a few months ago." That got a few laughs. "And tonight's twist is that you can't ask questions directly relating to the events listed, but you have to find out other details of the events to let you guess. Let's mingle folks - drinks are at the bar, help yourself and the hors d'oeuvres are in the Dining Room."

We all wandered around generally having a good time. I'm afraid I wasn't much help with folks trying to figure out my childhood episodes. Like I had more details. Sheesh. Eventually I was chatting with Nick MacDonald.

"Well Bill, you don't seem to know much about any of these episodes. How is that possible?"

"Sorry Nick, I'm a changeling. How would I remember something that happened to someone else?"

"Come on Bill, you don't LOOK like an alien or elf to me." he laughed. "I'm about sure which set has to be yours by elimination anyway. Are you just trying to be difficult?"

"No Nick, I honestly don't know anything more about the events listed. I just used some that my family talks about a lot."

"Well, why didn't you use events YOU remembered?"

"Umm, that's just it Nick, I don't remember. It’s… It's as if I didn't exist before I was about 9 or 10. So, I could be a changeling and couldn't prove otherwise." I sighed.

"That's unusual I guess, but I'm no expert. Hey, Flo might know, let's go." And he started heading across the room. It's no use fighting Nick when he latches onto an idea. He just bulls ahead. It probably comes in handy with his job, but right now I'm the target. Oh well I think to myself as I follow him.

"Yo, Flo. Bill here's got a problem, and we were wondering if you knew if it were common or unusual."

"Hello Nick. What have you gotten into now? You okay Bill?"

"Flo. Bill here claims he doesn't remember anything before he was 10. I know I do. Heck, I can remember some things when I was learning to walk."

"Bill, are you sure you don't remember anything?" I was getting nervous, as the folks around were starting to listen too, and Shelly was starting to look bad about something.

"Yea. That's about right Flo." I started, then getting quieter "I just have a very few fragments of things that might be memories back then."

"Why don't we talk about it later? There's no reason to go into it here." I'm guessing she recognized my nervousness, and was deflecting things. "But Nick, I did want to ask you about when you were out swimming at the lake." Wow, talk about your topic changers. I sorta backed up to get out of the middle of things, and noticed most of the other folk were getting back to things. I headed over to get a cracker to settle my stomach. Maybe a ginger ale too.

I felt a touch on my arm, it was Shelly. "I'm so sorry Bill, I'd completely forgotten you telling Ray and me about your memory loss two years ago. That codeine must have been hard on your mind to do that." She directed me toward the kitchen. "Let's grab another tray or two of hors d'oeuvres!"

"Shelly, don't worry about it." I said, as the two of us went off into the kitchen. "But, I found out last Christmas, when Becky and I were visiting my parents that I didn't get hurt like I remembered. That's made me question even the few things I thought I remembered."

"Wow, that's heavy Bill. Maybe you really should talk to Flo some! She knows a lot about how minds work."

"Oh, I know. But it's kinda hard when I don't know where to start. Maybe I'll give her a call tomorrow since I have off."

"There you go! Now why don't we get these hors d'oeuvres out there. We'll be wrapping up the game soon. Don't worry. Your lack of memory may well help you win!"

# - # - # - #

"Well, that worked out OK didn't it BIll?" Becky said a bit anxiously on the way home. "I saw Nick hauling you off to talk to Flo. But that didn't seem to take long. And Nick was the only one to guess which events were yours."

"Umm. Yea, I guess. Though after that party, maybe I should give Flo a call tomorrow. Maybe she knows someone that can help. She did say that most folks can remember some things from even their early childhood when we talked again later. So, unless I really am a changeling as I've joked all these years, my memory loss may be unusual. What do you think? Should I call her?"

"It can't hurt Bill, and hey maybe you'll get your memory back and remember your little sister - the one your Aunt Rachel's always talking about."

"That would be nice. My folks never talk about her. I guess she must have died and that's why they don't talk about that time all that much. You know, it's a good thing the kids are old enough to leave at home these days. No sitter to haul home!"

Becky laughed. "There is that! Well. Let's make sure they're asleep, and get to bed ourselves."

Continued… Did Bill survive the party? Will he actually talk to Flo?


Any comments greatly appreciated. Here's the next little bit. Some of you appear to have opened my last bit, I hope you weren't horrified.

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Horrified ? ? ?

By what?

I don't recall much of my early childhood and even doubt that what I do remember is even right.

So that said, seems like Bill and I are on the same page.

Hugs, Fran

Hugs, Fran

Hi Fran. That's nice to

Hi Fran.

That's nice to hear. Maybe my premise is not so far out. Most folks I know in their 20s-50s have many vivid memories of places/things they did or trips they took or such. Some are kinda fuzzy on details before kindergarten, but have a few even then. And once grade school starts I've never met anyone that doesn't have several memories.

All that said, maybe you and Bill are related. :-) Though, don't bet on Bill's answer being the same as yours. :-) You can't all be changelings. he he he But then, I've not said Bill actuall is either.

Thanks for the note.

Phran

another great part

Great!

I love the plot ;) i wonder what comes out of it?

Thank you very much for posting this.

*hugs

Fiona aka Meri

You've peaked my curiosity

Hi Phrancis,

I get the feeling that Bill was the little sister that no one talks about now, in any event I am looking forward to seeing where your going with this one.

Kindest regards,
talonx