Tuesday Morning

Printer-friendly version

TUESDAY MORNING


By Nicki Benson

For those who fell on June 6, 1944

The smudge on the southern horizon was getting nearer. Even at this early hour we could see it, dismal, grey and featureless.

We hoped it would stay that way. This morning the sun was our mortal enemy.

The ship’s engines changed in pitch. The tension rose. Some of us lit cigarettes. Others told jokes or made wisecracks. One bloke said he was glad the action was about to start, it would give us a chance to show the Yanks a thing or two. Nobody disagreed with him.

I fingered my rifle nervously. I’d spent most of the crossing cleaning it. We all had. It was tedious work, but better than sitting around wondering which of us wouldn’t be coming home.

There’d been times when I didn’t care if I made it or not. I’d lost Molly three years ago, when I was doing my basic training up in Northumberland. Like a fool I’d gone back to Stanley Road, stared at the rubble and broken glass where number 6 used to be, scrambled over piles of brick, charred wood and slate to the place where she’d stand in front of the mirror and ask me if she looked all right, shaken useless fists at the unforgiving sky…

Another memory came to me, of a trip to London on our third wedding anniversary and a slap-up dinner at a posh hotel not far from Piccadilly Circus. I recalled the waiter, just a young lad he was, and queer as a nine-bob note – at least that was what I’d assumed, seeing his eyes all made up and pink varnish painted on his nails. But Molly had got him talking, which was just like her. Live and let live, that was her philosophy. It seemed he wasn’t a pervert after all, he just felt he’d been born in the wrong body. I’d laughed, and hadn’t my other half torn me off a strip for that! Imagine you’d been brought up as a girl, she’d said, wouldn’t you move heaven and earth to prove you were male?

A runner was talking to the CO. We began edging towards the muster point, anticipating the order that couldn’t be more than a few seconds away. Overhead, the unmistakeable sound of approaching aircraft grew louder.

This was it.

The beach, fronted with barbed wire. The dunes studded with concrete gun emplacements. The wide fields behind them, with scarcely a tree or a bush for cover.

Somewhere in this foreign land I’d find my death-bed.

I stayed calm. I had to be a man, so that the boy who worked in that hotel could live in a world where he had the freedom not to be.

It was what Molly would have wanted.

“Good luck,” someone wished me.

“You too, mate,” I said.

Music: 'Warrior' by Wishbone Ash, from their 1972 album 'Argus'

http://youtu.be/U5X_Dd_6Czk

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice story

You put down exactly what the war was about. It made me feel proud and I wanted to cry at the same time.

Freedom!

Andrea Lena's picture

...often paid by sacrifice. Thank you for this reminder.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Oohh-Raaahh

As the Marine veteran in me says "Oohh-Raaahh, Damn Good Job Nicki!" Kudos to you.

I'm Very happy to see something like this story posted honoring vets and the sacrifices they endured.

Thanks Nicki

Hugs and Kisses to you and yours!

divider_001a.jpg
Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

A very nice little story of

A very nice little story of what going into battle can be like for almost anyone, regardless of what people may hear later.
The BIG unknown is on everyone's mind, especially the "Will I or Won't I" which is dwelling on life or death.

I do THANK YOU for this story, as I know my own Dad was very likely thinking much the same on Jun 5 and very, very early the morning of Jun 6,'44.
He initially flew American 82nd Airborne "Pathfinders" into Normandy, while others in his unit flew the 101st Airborne "Pathfinders" over.
Then they all went back to England, started flying more paratroopers in. My Dad returned to get into his British HORSA Glider, and started flying in medical teams, supplies,
and the like into and around St. Mere' Eglise (not sure I spelled this name correctly).

At the National D-Day Memorial located in Bedford, Virginia, there is a large plaque located there, that is a SALUTE to all the British Glider Pilots.
A memorial plaque for the American Glider Pilots is to be presented shortly, along with plans to get a British HORSA and an American CG-4A Gliders.

Thank you for these comments.

Thank you for these comments. Having had no military experience whatsoever, I was a little concerned about the story's authenticity. That's why it's a bit vague on detail.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

Looks good.

Athena N's picture

Then again, my military experience is a few decades more recent than this, and from pretty much the opposite viewpoint: before realising how much I appreciate my freedom to not be a man (and eventually ending up with a completely different career), I was trained to sit in a bunker on the coastline at the opposite edge of Europe and prepare for trespassers. Happily, my nights as a duty officer of a coastal fortress were pretty quiet, and we never got to the point of dealing with something scarier than a regular procession of Soviet ’fishing’ boats with a surplus of electronics, very carefully just outside the territorial waters. Still, it all made me feel a great deal of empathy towards both the Americans and the Germans, in the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan...

Thank you for this story, and the tears.

Messages

I have sent Nicki a few personal comments on this by PM, as I wanted to keep some stuff away from the public eye.

This story has a clear agenda, and an obvious message. As I said, a little gem.

nice story, Nicki

my grandfather served in WWII as a member of a tank unit, and the scars he relieved, both physical and mental, stayed with him the rest of his life.

I believe he would have echoed the sentiment here.

DogSig.png

It would be very cool

if more of us had this outlook on ... things.

T

(does anyone have a tissue?)

(I really wish that damn Kudo button would work more than once ...)

The price of Freedom

wolfjess7's picture

Thomas Jefferson once said 'The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots' but too often we as a people forget the those patriots are usually the every day soldier. As a veterain of the US Army I Know that price all to well. Good job Nikki.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Gem

At the going down of the sun
And in the morning.
We will remember them.
Lest we forget

Joanna

Wonderful short story!

This was a lovely read - it made my day. Thank you :-)

Michelle