Atalanta's Story- Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Atalanta's Story - Chapter 7 My thanks goes to William Durr for his all around help. I'm a grammar klutz. This is one of the shortest chapters and sets up the next chapter. Chapter 8 is a long chapter with lots of action but I'm not sure how long it will take me as my BIL passed yesterday morning so plans are on hold for a few days.

This Chapter includes Christmas giving and spring rites.

Chapter Seven
December opened with a snowstorm and for much of the month we were snowbound. Being homeschooled I kept up my schoolwork and studies with lessons from mom and other staff members.

Christmas was nice and cozy and I spent much of it baking and cooking, filling our little cottage with warm smells. Bells tinkled and candle light glowed softly throughout the house.

Manny who remained behind as part of the winter skeleton crew helped me cut down the tree and carry it in, and then I decorated it with garland, tinsel, and lights.

On Christmas, we exchanged presents. My immediate circle included mom, Judy, Lindsey, and her mother. Lindsey and I swapped presents. Hannah’s gift was her fruitcakes; made in the dark of night and behind locked doors. At least that was Lindsey’s story.

Much like Hanna’s fruitcakes, I wrapped a fantastic selection of southwestern style jewelry that I found in town. For mom in addition to the jewelry, I spent extra time and money on a gown, robe, and slippers.

Manny was naturally part of our inner circle too. He interacted regularly with both Judy and mom on the clinic and with mom and me. I bought him a hand tooled leather belt with a secret compartment in the buckle. And he gave me a pair of ornate bracers to protect my arms from the bowstring. Like everything else we did, those bracers served a secondary purpose.

In addition, mom got me a lot of clothes, shoes, make up, skin care potions and lotions. Mom, I believed wanted to experience buying for a daughter and just let her inner shopper loose. In spite of seemingly adjusting to female fashions, I was more comfortable in clothes that breathed and offered protection. Sometimes they fit current fashion trends but often they didn’t and left mom scratching her head in frustration. Since I was in the process of both developing my fashion style and what that term meant I was of little help in helping mom, help me.

I could just kill Lindsey; as a gag gift she got me a set of “barely-there-underwear” that she said I could use with my electronic friend. Payback is a bitch.

Manny remained on-site as part of the skeleton crew to provide security for the equipment left until needed in the spring. He spent the down time sourcing the supplies needed to finish out the construction.

As part of the upgrades primarily for the clinic and as added benefits for clients and staff Judy hired Manny to install a small computer network connect via satellite link. That ability to connect in real-time to area doctors, clinics, and hospitals to exchange diagnoses was paramount to receive matching funds for the clinic to be designated as a regional center.

Due to his Special Force experiences and schooling, he was able to set up a fast, secure, and redundant network that was connected via landline and satellite. For Judy internet service wasn’t a direct moneymaker but it was offset by enhanced amenities and the yearly stipend for the clinic.

Mom got me the latest laptop so that I could surf in style while keeping my schoolwork updated. Judy bought mom a new laptop for the clinic that was secure to meet HIPPA rules.

As the winter months marched on, Manny’s job as network administrator, clinic supervisor, and the head of his self-defense school of one, namely me; we saw more and more of him. Actually, mom was seeing more and more of him as I was already seeing him every day.

“Mom, this clinic thing must be really … really complicated.”

It was early April and the dry desert air heated quickly into the 80’s from lows that often dropped into the 20’s at night. We were walking over to the clinic building that Manny wanted mom’s input on. Soon there would be a full crew on site.

“Oh,” she replied, “Why do you say that, dear?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” I hinted slyly, “ it just seems that a lot of corrections seem to pop up that takes both of you putting your heads together to solve. I’m beginning to think of you two as Frick and Frack,” I teased.

“Young lady,” she replied stopping and facing me, her hands on her hips, “What are you saying?”

“I’m not saying anything, Mom,” I replied calmer than I felt. The Young Lady tone felt exactly like the Young Man speech I had received numerous times in the past. “It is just Manny is a nice guy and …”

“And what,” she demanded sternly.

I gulped. It was time to bring out the heavy artillery. “Well you know I just got to thinking …”

“Thinking what? Yes, go on.”

Remembering the electronic device she had given me, I mumbled, “I was thinking that you have needs and that Manny is a nice guy.”

“So you thought I needed a man,” she finished for me gently wrapping her arms around me. “No baby, don’t cry,” she added sensing my response. “Hush it is all right.”

“I just wanted you to know that I’m fine if you know …”

“Go on a date with Manny,” she finished for me.

I nodded, my cheeks flaming.

“I never thought I’d be getting dating advice from my … daughter.”

“Mom,” I replied grinning feeling I was on safer ground, “I never thought I’d be giving dating advice as your daughter either.”

“Honey has it been that hard?”

“It sure has been different though; I never thought last year this time I would have celebrated my fourteenth birthday at the hairdressers and shopping.”

“Yes, but almost every Mother wants a daughter to do things with.”

My birthday was next week and mom had booked us for a full day spa treatment including a hairdresser appointment and clothes shopping. Dinner afterwards.

I sighed thinking of how simpler it was being Alan, “I do miss being Alan.”

Hooking her arm in mine we continued walking, “What do you miss most and what do you like most?” she queried.

“Umm, not bleeding; sharing and caring,” I quipped squeezing Mom’s arm, “Like having this little talk,” I replied giggling.

“And a philosopher too,” she replied all smiles.

Yeah, that!

We didn’t know it at the time but my life was about to take a dramatic turn two weeks later. Mom did dip her toes in the proverbial dating waters sort of. She asked Manny if he would like to go into the Big City with her to help with supplies and fixtures for the clinic.

He accepted.

I hope you enjoy this little short chapter. The next chapter is long and complicated and told from four viewpoints. With my situation I'm not sure when it will be ready it shouldn't be longer than a week. I'm working on the next book (at Whateley)( its 70 odd pages now) and with Bill's help polishing up this one. Jumping back and forth.

I'm glad that most of you seem to be enjoying this tale and if you have questions or comments I'll answer any I can.

Thanks

Katelyn

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Yeah, that!"

giggles.

DogSig.png

I like humor

I like humor in a story, some melodrama, play on names, tongue-in-cheek.

Thanks for reading and for commenting.

Katelyn

going well

are you going to post this over on crystal hall also. its definitely better than some and as good as most. your doing a great job so far. thanks

I plan to

I plan to post it at crystal hall. TBH I have butterflies every time I post a chapter here so I need become more familiar at public consumption.

I'm glad you are liking it and I appreciate the comment.

Katelyn

just remember

when you do post over there, they have a few equivalents of football announcers that never say anything but criticize a lot. so if its constructive , give it the thought its worth, if its negative, disregard.

Thanks

I don't mind constructive criticism and I expect they are protective of that universe so I'm going to get comfortable with the process first.

Katelyn

Just my opinion

I think this story does fine without Whatley, and it seems that most stories do not survive contact with the place. I think it is a great stand alone story.

Just saying.

Gwen

Whateley is part of it

I like writing Atalanta so I suspect after high school she just may be going to a southern college located near this weird and magical water park.

And if I could think of a way for her to travel to someplace else entirely she could wreak havoc there.

So yes if I can there will be many adventures to come for Atalanta in different settings.

But as I'm a hunt and peck typist that might take a while.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Katelyn

Good job!

Patrick Malloy's picture

I am enjoying this story and hope that future installments arrive within hours of each other! Just kidding, I know the writing process can be quite daunting at times.
I'm finding that your writing style is more polished than you give yourself credit for.

My condolences on the loss of your BIL.

Patrick Malloy

Short indeed

Tas's picture

But short is alright to do sometimes. This seems like it's a transition into what you mentioned was a longer chapter, so let's go see what's happening next

-Tas