The Angry Mermaid 121 or Y Morforwyn Dicllon 121

Printer-friendly version

River Dee map._1.gif

On the Map the old river Dee is the dotted line between Chester in England and Flint in Wales.

More skirmishes with the Vikings ensue and Gisela wins her spurs. The Siege of Chester is relieved by Drustina's small victory on the banks of the River Dee (Afon Dyfrdwy.). Further plans and preparations ensue as Drustina prepares for the forthcoming battle.

Readers are advised to brush up their Geography of the two estuaries River Dee and River Mersey.

The Angry Mermaid 121.
Or
Y Morforwyn Dicllon 121

As the first clash of steel rang out from somewhere deeper in the woods that lined the river bank, Drustina’s ships turned as one to drive up hard upon the muddy flats. She was not even the first to leap ashore as Celts and Gauls hurled themselves furiously across the gap from their beached longships onto the soft grassy bank. Drustina quickly followed suit and cursed as she sank up to her knees in deceptive ground that looked at first glance like grass but turned out to be very soft mud.

She cursed and giggled as several hands reached out immediately to drag her free. Her own crew however were now forewarned and leapt further up the bank to make sure they would land unhindered. Within half a minute her whole army were assembled on the bank and poised to strike.

This time there was no chance to organise a well planned attack for nobody knew how many Vikings Carl’s band had encountered. They rushed silently into the trees and arrived piecemeal to find the Saxons fighting furiously against a Viking foe that was every bit as determined to win.

As groups of Celts and Gauls rushed into the fray, they had good cause to be thankful for Drustina’s requirement that they all wear a red patch of cloth somewhere high upon their bodies like a shoulder patch or wrapped around their helmets. Each friend was thus instantly recognisable, as had been their ships with red patches on their sails.

By the time Drustina arrived at the fight it was in full swing and the clash of metal was deafening. She glanced to her side and was relieved to find Gisela close beside her. No words were exchanged but Gisela knew that many of the men, who deemed themselves the best warriors, made it their business to keep close to their Lioness. This was partly to protect her and partly because they knew Drustina usually ended up where the fighting was thickest because enemies quickly recognised her and endeavoured to kill her. The inevitable press by Vikings all keen to be the man deemed to have killed the sorceress invariably made the fighting thickest and most furious wherever she fought.

Gisela’s senses were almost overwhelmed by the deafening clash of swords and furious roars of rage that accompanied the cries and curses of wounded despair. She swung her sword more in desperation and panic than with any logic or plan but somehow she survived, mostly because she was guided by Drustina’s higher pitched calls to organise those around her. She was deeply thankful that she recognised at least a dozen voices from her own crew coupled with the Lioness’s distinctly higher pitched voice for it gave Gisela location and orientation as she desperately fought for survival.

The only certain words she remembered of the whole fight was when there was a brief second of respite when she found herself alone as her companions stepped aside to fend off another group of Vikings. For a fraction of a second she found herself alone and in panic with several Vikings lunging towards her and no seeming back up. Then she felt strong arms grab her from behind and a rough voice bellow above the clamour.

“Get between us Girl and face your sword to them!”

She was physically yanked backwards and dumped between two massive Gauls where she quickly recovered from her panic. Even as she raised her sword, the ranks of her own companions closed to form a wall and suddenly the onrushing Vikings realised the easy target was now a phalanx of swords. She thought to ask had anybody seen the Lioness but realised if she did it would distract her companions if they started to look around. With a cold flood filling her belly, Gisela realised she had lost sight of her leader and mentor but in the desperate press of sword-play, for that moment, The Lioness would have to fend for herself. Gisela was too desperately engaged in sword fights to think of anything but survival.

After one successful strike she suddenly realised why the two Gauls had beset her on both sides. The Gauls, with their heavy broad swords could smash and swipe without attention to precision while Gisela, with her lighter, faster, and sharper sword, could squeeze between her human buttresses then pick out any vulnerable points on the Viking assailants and strike with deadly accuracy. It was no accident that after four fatalities lay at their feet, the trio found themselves at the apex of an ‘ad-hoc’ shield wall that was proving a fearsome obstacle to any Viking ambition. At the very tip of that apex, a shining slender blade whipped out and struck like a viper’s sting to bring certain injury and probable death to any bold enough or incensed enough to attack it.

Eventually the ground before Gisela’s apex became clear of live Vikings and obstructed by dead ones. The men had time to cast about and determine their next tactic. Gisela now had time to ask.

“Has anybody seen her?”

“She was over there earlier by the blasted Ash stump.” A voice called from the end of the sword phalanx.

Gisela now deemed it admissible to call in her female soprano to identify herself clearly, she screeched as loud as coherence dictated.

“Lioness! Where are you?”

To everybody’s relief a female voice replied.

“Over here girl! I’m behind the stump of an ash tree. What d’you want?”

Amidst the dense forest and undergrowth it was hard at first for Gisela to see anything but the taller Gauls motioned the sword-wall forward towards the sound and found their beloved leader resting against the stump with several of the original Saxons attending.
“Are you all right Lioness?” One of the Gauls asked.

“A few minor cuts and a sore head.”

Drustina ruefully held up the beautifully tooled haulm she had claimed from the dead, Cumbrian Viking boy and fingered the dent of a sword strike that would have assuredly killed her but for the haulm’s protection. Gisela’s eyes and several Gaul’s eyes widened with concern as Gisela found her voice.

“My god Lioness! So at long last you have taken the Saxon’s advice!” She squeaked.

“And it served me well little sister.”

Gisela wiped some blood from her cheek and realised it was her blood, nothing serious but evidence enough that she had been in the thick of it, then she looked around for Carl.

“Where is he by the way?”

“He and Althred’s Saxons are making their way upriver along the bank looking to mop up any resistance. We must get back to the ships and join him by sailing alongside his marching men. Somewhere up ahead are the Viking ships so we must keep our main force massed together, only the ships can enable us to do that.”

As they made their way back to the ships, the two Gauls gave a glowing account of Gisela’s part and the Lioness nodded approvingly. Then she asked Gisela.

“Were you afraid?”

Having clearly ‘won her spurs’ Gisela now felt no shame in admitting her fears.

“Yes, especially when I found myself alone; fortunately these two giants pulled me out of trouble. After that I was too busy and too desperate to be frightened.”

Drustina nodded sagely and smiled thankfully at the two Gauls before giving some sound advice to Gisela.

“That’s what companionship is all about princess. You will find your bond with your two defenders to be a tighter one perhaps even than the ties of love. You know you can trust them and they know they can trust you.”

Gisela then had a deep insight as she asked Drustina self consciously.

“Which is your tighter bond to Carl, the bond of love and sex or the bond of battle and trust?”

Drustina was flummoxed for once as she searched her own heart for an answer. That answer escaped her as he admitted.

“Gisela; I honestly don’t know. We love each other in the bed and we would die for each other on the battlefield. I can’t determine the difference.”

Gisela felt a natural pang of envy, almost jealousy.

“You’re lucky Lioness. You have both, you have it all.”

“So will you one day princess, so will you.”

“I wish Lioness; I can only wish.”

With these words they clambered aboard their ships and resumed the journey up to Chester.

~o0o~

As they rowed cautiously up river, an arrow with green ribbon suddenly thunked into the planking of Drustina’s ship. It was a clear signal from Carl or Althred. The flotilla held water as Drustina steered into the bank where Althred stood waiting. Once ashore, Althred enlightened her.

“The Vikings are hauled up high out of the water because the tide has turned and they are high and dry. They cannot refloat their ships until the flood tide returns.”

“Stupid buggers,” Drustina snorted derisively. “Where’s Carl?”

“With the main body of men keeping tabs on the Vikings, he’s thrown a wide cordon of men around the landing area to prevent any fleeing Vikings from rejoining the ships.”

“How many remain with their ships?”

“We both estimate about two hundred. There are a dozen ships so most of the Vikings are either killed in the earlier fight or scattered through the woods.”

“So there could be up to about three hundred Vikings still prowling around.” Drustina mused. “We left about a hundred dead back there in the woods.”

“So we still outnumber them,” Gisela added.”

“Provided we keep our forces concentrated.” Drustina replied.

“So what’s the plan?” Althred asked.

“The next High tide is in the early morning just after midnight. If we hold off until then, we can attack when the full moon is at its highest and casting the greatest light tonight. Until then, our men can spell each other keeping watches while the others eat or sleep back at the ships. It will be dark when we strike so the password is ‘silent bear’. Spread the men amongst three watches of two hours apiece and we attack when their ships are about to float.”

Drustina and her commanders drew back to Carl’s cordon and they settled down to sleep. A couple of times there was a brief commotion as retreating Vikings blundered into Carl’s silent cordon but otherwise most of Drustina’s men got a few hours sleep. It was during Drustina’s watch that the Viking ships showed signs of beginning to float and she silently prepared her forces. To her amazement, some of the Vikings stationed to guard their ships had actually lit a fire. From the dark shadows of the woods, many Vikings were silhouetted against the flames thus making Drustina’s job easier. Once again, the attack came silently and all Drustina’s men had blackened their faces with the rich black marshy slime. In many instances they were upon the weary Vikings before the Norsemen realised what was happening. Heavily outnumbered they fell quickly to the allied swords.

Once again, preparation and training had paid off and the captured Viking ships were quickly re-anchored in the middle of the river.
At dawn, the Viking beach-head was alive with Victorious allied soldiers gathering booty and preparing to sail up the river to Chester. By noon, they arrived at the City Walls of Chester to be hailed as saviours. The commander of the Garrison ushered Drustina and her commanders in and explained.

“Ethelred is two or three days south and marching as fast as he can. While Edrinor has crossed the Pennine tops and is approaching from Mancunium or we prefer to call it Manchester.”

“How many days?” Drustina pressed him.

“Four days at least.”

“Damn!” Drustina cursed as did Carl and Althred. “When did the Mercian decide to move?”

“Why d’you curse?”

“Cold-blood has his forces assembled on the north shore of Aber Mersea. He only has to cross that estuary and he is landed on the Wirral shore. It is but half a day to Chester at most. Edrinor will be too bloody late!”

“How many men have you?” The Garrison commander asked.

“Here; now, about five hundred. I have altogether about one hundred and fifty ships; namely these ships at Chester and the main fleet stationed off the tail of the Mersea Bank. All told I have about three thousand men.”

“How many men could your fleet land ashore at one landing?”

“If the ships are to fight at sea about four thousand at most. If they are simply to pack warriors to bursting and throw them ashore in one punch then I suppose about five thousand if the ships are to remain seaworthy and workable. Why? Have you got a couple of thousand men to spare?”

The Garrison commander wagged his head.

“Sadly no, but when Ethelred arrives he might have enough men to split his force if they can be delivered quickly and land a hard enough blow.”

“Where?” Drustina asked, intrigued by the man’s thoughts.

“I don’t know as yet but the Wirral shore somewhere; a place where we can flank Cold-blood’s army.”

“We have a problem with that tactic. My main fleet is the cork that seals the bottle that is the Mersea’s narrow neck. I cannot release them from their vigil to come all the way up the Dyfrdwy, pick up and army and return to the Mersea. Cold-blood will seize a perfect opportunity to break out of the Mersea and spread his fleet wide. With sea room he has a vast advantage in numbers. While he remains bottled up we can hold him because the sand-banks at the Aber Mersea will restrict his longships. Our Mermaids can out manoeuvre him amongst the shallows. There are many shoals and dangers in the Mersea but I have the benefit of many childhood years trading those waters.”

“Like you did for the Fresians.”

Drustina hesitated as she first had to recollect. ‘There had been so many battles.’ Then she remembered.

“Oh yes, Queen Dalcimon and her son Andrar; where did you hear of that?”

“One of the priests despatched by Ethelred this spring. He knew of many of your exploits, he claims to know you, his name is Bishop Celyn.”

Drustina paused for a moment then recovered from her shock.

“Oh, him!”

The commander frowned.

“You don’t sound enamoured.”

“Where is he now?” Drustina pressed.

“He stayed here for a few weeks then journeyed north to preach amongst the heathen Vikings.”

She nodded as a silent wave of relief overtook her but she still wondered how much poison he had sown in the Caestrian's minds. Only time would tell her that and she had no idea if she had that time, especially as she was facing the biggest battle of her life.
The more pressing question was whether she should return to her main fleet patrolling the approaches to the Aber Mersea or make contact with Ethelred. She called Carl, Althred ,Gisela and the Garrison Commander together to discuss the way forward. Drustina re-iterated their main objective.

“I believe we must defend and secure Chester at all costs until Ethelred and Edrinor have arrived and combined their armies, the question is how.”

There was total agreement upon the objective but some differences concerning the method. The Garrison commander expressed his concerns.

“I have almost bled the region dry of able-bodied men but I still do not have the men to sufficiently man the walls.”

“Have you approached the Cambrians; my people.” Drustina wondered.

The commander shook his head. He had no authority to treat with people deemed to be historic enemies, that was the duty of kings and he explained.

“I have a letter from Ethelred stating that he is approaching Celtic chieftains at every juncture as he marches north. His route parallels the Cambrian borders so I presumed he would be asking for their help. The problem is the Celtic principalities are very fractured and divided. Few of the Marcher chieftains have ever encountered the Viking threat so they do not deem them a serious danger.

My orders are to keep Chester secure from all foes and, until but very recently, that is since you appeared Lioness; we have previously deemed the Cambrian Celts to be, if not a threat, then antagonistic.”

Drustina nodded resignedly. Several centuries of bitter strife betwixt Celt and Saxon had left deep scars. As a child herself, even after her bitter experiences with the Norsemen, she had never once considered seeking help from the detested Saxons. It was only after finding herself in ‘mutualis extremis’ in the Middle sea that she had been thrown together with the Saxon galley slaves and forced to treat with them. After years of fighting alongside them she had eventually overcome her childhood detestations. As she told herself many times, ‘she had grown up! She had even married one!!’

The commander’s words sowed the germ of an idea in her mind and when he finished she sucked her tongue.

“I might be able to get you a few hundred men by tomorrow but it will mean my absenting myself from my fleet for a few days longer.”

The commander furrowed his brow.

“How so? I’ve stripped the country around here of all able men for fifty miles radius.”

“Yes, but what of the north Cambrians? Dynbych and Flint.”

“Would they come?”

“They have suffered from Viking depredations every bit as much as Saxons, possibly more so.”

“I hate to ask this but can I trust them?”

“D’you trust me?”

“Of course! You wound me by asking that.”

Drustina grinned.

“We have no time to be too sensitive about our own feelings commander. Saxon and Celt have common cause against the Norsemen.

Many Cambrians will come if I call and every sword will count; not to mention every arrow.”

“Well I would welcome them on that basis.”

“I’ll waste no more time then and organise a recruitment campaign. Do you have any spare supplies of food, my rations are perilously low.”

The commander grinned expansively.

“If there’s one thing we have it is food Lioness. The shire of Chester is one of the richest in all Britannia. The farmland all around us is the richest there can be. Our granaries are full to bursting.”

Drustina reflected philosophically, ‘that was why everybody fought over the Chester shire; rich fertile soil and many, many miles of it.’

“Then lets waste no time.” She finished.

The re-victualing of her fleet went apace as her men wondered at the vast larders stuffed full of corn and other welcome supplies. Even cattle were slaughtered and fresh meat shared around the ships. There was much satisfaction and merriment as the allies marvelled at the largess.

The following morning Carl and Althred took some of Drustina’s flotilla back to meet with and resupply the main fleet cordoning the approaches to Aber Mersea. Meanwhile, Drustina took several mermaids and the remaining captured longships along the Welsh shore on a recruitment campaign. To her immense satisfaction she soon filled her ships with volunteers and returned to Chester with over half a thousand Cambrians. The Garrison commander could barely believe his eyes as Drustina returned with ships almost sinking with men as she explained.

“I chose mainly archers with a smattering of noble swords. I believe the initial tactic is to defend the walls and that is best achieved with arrows. The other good news is that there are at least another thousand willing volunteers organising a march along the shore to reach you as fast as feet will allow. Carl will be despatching our supply ships to assist them soon. He will embark them wherever he finds them and hopefully, by tomorrow morning, those extra men will be here.”

The Garrison commander heaved an immense sigh of relief.

“One and a half thousand men! You work miracles Lioness.”

“No just imagination and organisation. Have you news of Ethelred or Edrinor.”

“Yes, Ethelred will be here by tomorrow night or the morning after. Edrinor two or three days yet.”

Drustina wagged her head as she reflected that Cold-blood had probably started crossing the Mersea that very day. She had to get back to her fleet! Her last word to the Garrison commander rang out as she cast off.

“Have plenty of food made ready. Marching men need food and lots of it if they are to fight effectively.”

“That we can do Lioness, see already your Cambrians are feeding!”

Drustina smiled and raised her sword in salute. The ebb tide took her mermaids swiftly down to the sea, passing Udris and the supply ships as they gathered Cambrians all the way along the Welsh shore. She rendezvoused with her fleet at the dead of night and met with her commanders even before the sun had risen. The main battle plan was set in motion as all of Drustina’s longships girded for war and men steeled themselves for the fight of their lives.

~oo000oo~

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Drustina is not one to let

a couple hundred years of feud derail her battle plans.

Good job Gisela. Showing her loyalty and courage in battle.

We are but days away

Cold Blood will soon see his demise. Drustina is bringing more and more fighters in to stop Cold Blood's advance. Chester will hold and the Viking defeat appears soon.

When all the fighting is done, what then?

Great job, Bev.

Much Love,

Valerie R