Atalanta's Story- Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Atalanta's Story - Chapter 3 By Katelyn. Edited by William Durr. I thank Bill for all his help and any errors are mine.

Atalanta has reoccurring dreams and she develops a plan for self defense. But will her mom agree. Her weekly lessons with mom and Judy continue.

Chapter Three

A week had passed since I had visited the trail where my change had occurred and each night I had these weird dreams. The first night I ran wildly until I came to a mountain peak; there I gathered corn. The next night’s dream was similar except I ran in a different direction to a different peak and gathered corn but of a different color. The third and fourth nights followed a similar vein; with a different mountain and different colored corn. In the first dream I gathered white, the second night yellow, the third was purple, and the fourth a mixed color. On the fifth night the dream recycled.

Last night it had been purple corn that I found tonight it would be the mixed variety if the sequence remained true.

The odd thing was apart from the repetitious dreams nightly and the mental workout I woke up energized. I also woke early to an overwhelming desire to run.

This morning as usual I was up early where I wandered outside and eventually ended up at the additional construction Judy had started for the new clinic and cottages. South of the construction zone was a smaller hastily constructed parking lot for the workers with a mixture of vans, truck and travel trailers, and a mobile home that housed both the office and body of the foreman.

His name was Manuel Black and he was about 30 years old, a few inches shorter than I was, and a slim yet solid body. I knew his name and by sight, but that was all. I was surprised when he walked from behind a corner in the barn where I was stretching and warming up.

The truth was before my trip to the canyon that didn't did not exist and Mom and Judy’s talk about strengths differences between the sexes I had already noticed a difference too. However that had changed some after I began running and I welcomed that increase in my energy and strength levels. That increase in energy and confidence was a welcome change from the uncertainty, weakness, and fear I dealt with in the aftermath of a spontaneous sex change.

No, I didn’t think I was turning into wonder woman or the hulk, but with mutants being in the news I did wonder how far the changes would go. So I thought that testing my limits and working out was a good idea. Besides I needed to run.

“Working out,” his voice was surprisingly soft and pleasant. He moved lithely with ill-concealed ease into the open.

I stood up and easily found myself balanced in a defensive posture. Where had that come from?

I nodded.

“Yeah I’ve been noticing you several mornings, running.”

“I thought I noticed someone out there,” I replied wondering where this was going.

“I run too,” he replied, “and I thought you might like company.”

“Why,” I asked studying his response and body language.

He held up his hands palms out, “Whoa,” he cried, “I don’t mean you any harm. It is just that this early and the rough terrain make it easy to misstep in the dark. I’d feel better if someone was there and go for help if I fall and break something,” he added smiling.

I smiled at his self-depreciating humor with my instincts telling me he could be trusted. “Deal,” I smiled, “and may it never rain on either of our parades.”

He grinned and we began to run across the flat terrain that quickly dotted with boulders. We climbed increasingly steeper slopes clinging to rocky outcroppings like mountain sheep. A large and hazardous boulder reared up about 50 yards away and almost that much higher on the landscape.

I loved running with the wind whipping in my face and the lighter than air feeling that accompanied it. As Alan, I wasn’t athletically inclined and the love and skill at running was a pleasant surprise. Despite what mom said about girls being weaker, I didn’t feel that weakness. I did agree most girls were not as strong as males but I wasn’t most girls.

The sun was just peeking over the rim of the basin sending tendrils of purple rays across the silent countryside. A coyote barked in the distance and overhead a hawk circled lazily. On a ledge high above the canyon a cougar stretched languidly, watched the pair of runners.

“You have been running long?”

“Just started,” I declared. We were resting on the giant rock that stood out like a sentinel.

“What’s your end game?” He must have seen the surprise cross my face and explained. “Are you training for an event or just running for the hell of it. To test yourself or get in shape.”

“No. Not an event.” I replied empathically. “Yeah, it is probably more of for the hell of it. I never ran until we got here.”

“In that case you are a natural. How long you been out here?”

“After school was let out, we’ve been here just a few months. Mom wanted a change of scenery after dad was killed in a crash.”

“I’m sorry if I brought up bad memories.”

“No problem, you didn’t know. And it was always a possibility being an Army Brat.” The quiver belied the brittle tone.

“Still, I’m sorry about your dad. I just retired from the Navy, the Seals. So I kind of understand. What does your mom do here at The Resort?”

“She’s the doctor. She and dad met in the service.”

“Umm-okay, I guess I have your mom to thank for the work.”

“Some I guess, but its Aunt Judy’s money.”

“What was your dad’s MOS.”

“He was attached to the Army intelligence unit.”

A shadow flickered momentarily, “My name is Manny Black and my job here is to oversee the work gets done and keep these rough necks in line.”

“Atalanta-Atalanta Reed,” I replied adding, “It’s time to be heading back.”

Wow, I felt like I was flying as we ran, leaping from rock to rock. My feet barely touched the earth as we tore off down the mountainside in a mad sprint. I loved the exhilaration and freedom that these cross country runs provided with the added thrill of dodging unexpected obstacles often improvising in mid-air. I kept the lead on Mr. Black all the way back to the barn where I jumped, whirling in the air and fist pumped the sky.

“Whew that was fun!” I shouted and sticking out my tongue, “Nah-nah I beat you back.”

Grinning he answered, “I didn’t know we were racing.”

“I won, so we were racing.” I smirked.

His smile vanished, “You could’ve been hurt or broke your neck or an arm or leg, back there.”

I considered his statement carefully. Mom was being … well a mom and overprotective and she, no doubt would agree with Manny.

“It is hard to explain. I’ve changed a lot since we moved here.” Boy or girl was that an understatement! “I know I looked reckless out there but I can really see well in the dark and I can change my body position in the air to land where I want. It also feels like I’m lighter too when I run.”

“That maybe true or it may not be. I have learned from my training over the years some tips and shortcuts that will help you to fine tune what it is you are doing. Are you willing to find out?”

“I guess so. Sure. Oh that reminds me. Mom wanted me to find some self-defense training. Can you teach me some … stuff?”

He studied me for such a long time that I thought he was refusing or not answering.

“I can and I can’t. That is I can teach you a system but not a few moves. Those you can learn from anybody. What I teach requires a commitment from you but when we are finished you will be one bad ass babe.” He replied grinning.

Immediately an image formed from the Matrix movie along with several fantasy images of leather duster coat babes. Okay maybe not but I did like the idea of not being vulnerable.

“I’d like that but my mom is being a little overprotective and you’d have to meet her and Judy first. You know pass inspection. How is Thursday evening for dinner?”

He agreed.

The days until Thursday both dragged and flew by. The days seemed longer as I wrestled with arguments to convince mom for the need for self defense lessons. They flew by because with each successive night of dreams brought a sense of anticipation and dread that I was missing something important before they ended.

I was admittedly excited and nervous as I bounced from grilling to the oven checking dinner preparations. Mom and Judy were due any moment as was Manny. I had invited him to our weekly lessons before I had checked with mom but thank goodness she had seen the wisdom in meeting with Manny. After all, it was her and Judy’s idea for the self-defense lessons. We still ran each morning and yes, I told her about my early morning run just leaving out the dangerous terrain and the dreams.

The kitchen was laden with aromas of the apple pie baking and the veggie casserole cooling and the chicken was almost ready to take off the grill. I was setting the table when I heard the front door open.

“Honey that smells good,” my mom declared with a peck on the cheek. Judy followed her into the kitchen dropping her purse beside her chair. I poured each woman a coffee and water for me.

Manny arrived a few minutes later with a knock on the door and after greeting him at the door I introduced him to mom and Judy who already knew him, “Mom, Judy this is Manny Black who agreed to teach me to kick butt and save the world … from e.v.i.l.”

“You’re full of it.”

After greetings we all sat and began eating.

“Mrs. Reed let me offer my condolences for your loss. I haven’t lost a spouse or a father but I lost many good friends over the years, so I understand some of your pain,” Manny declared after we finished eating.

“That was a superb dinner Atalanta,” he added.

“Mr. Black,” mom began, “I’d like to hear a little about you, and what you will be teaching Atalanta. How much of her time will it take and your impression of us,” using her hands indicating her and me.

“The service was good for me; I grew up on the streets of LA and got lucky. At 14, I hooked with a guy that learned jeet kune do from the master himself, Bruce Lee. I trained with him until I turned 17 and then joined the Navy and finally the Seals where I’ve spent the last 14 years in hotspots all over the world.I needed a break from it and left earlier this year to see if I am fit for civilian duty.”

Manny paused, looking over the rim of his coffee, absently blowing the liquid. It was a habit learned from many discreet meetings and conversations around the globe and in varied settings: From well-lighted mansions to darkened rat holes.

“I get the impression from Atalanta that the environment here has been good for her and she has changed a lot in the process.”

Seeing the brief looks and unspoken communication that passed among his audience, he added. “Is there something I should know?”

Again he felt an unknown ripple pass among his spectators before mom spoke, “Let’s just say Atalanta’s friends in Philly wouldn’t recognize her, now. Atalanta will probably fill you in later, but not now.”

“Okay,” he conceded, “timing is important and we’ll let that sleeping dog lie until it is time. You asked for my impression and that was one. She,” he continued fingering me, “told me she just had taken up running and wasn’t much of an athlete until she came to these mountains. From what I’ve seen running with her that is hard to believe, but I don’t think she’s lying. I conclude then, that she has hit a growth spurt or something.”

Again he saw their lips curl in a smirk and wondered what secret they shared.

“I’ll tell you what I told her, I won’t teach her isolated moves but a CQC system designed to inflict maximum damage. Bruce Lee took the best parts of the martial arts to form jeet kune do. I intend to take the best of jeet kune do and Seal training to form a new style. It won’t be indiscriminate damage but rather its applying force to quickly end a physical confrontation with one or multiple attackers. She’ll be able to quickly size up a situation, how dangerous it is and to apply proper countermeasures. She’ll learn and test the limits of her body and gain confidence but it will take time and discipline.”

“I’m not sure I like the idea of my daughter being taught how to maim or kill,” Mom replied.

“Mrs. Reed, I thought surely having served and being a Dr. you would understand what can and does happen every day somewhere. Was I wrong?”

“No, you’re not wrong. I do understand, I just hadn’t thought where it could lead when I suggested she learn self-defense.”

“I see in her some of what I suspect my mentor saw in me when he agreed to take me under his wing. She will learn self-defense but in the overall context of what she might face. I can tell you this much, she’ll learn discipline and control first and may even cuss me good and proper before she ever learns the bad stuff. But it’s your call.”

“Satisfy my curiosity Mr. Black, but why would you spend your time and energy, again?”

“I detect an unspoken question Mrs. Reed and let me assure you that Atalanta is young enough to be my daughter. She is as safe with me as she would be with either of you. You’re a trained Doctor and you are as competent in your field as I am in mine and I’ve had 17 years using it. In this matter you’ll have to trust me as much as I’d have to trust you with a medical situation.”

“Everybody ready for some pie and ice cream,” I asked hoping to diffuse the situation as I rose to remove the pie from the warmer and the ice cream from the freezer. Smooth easy conversation begin to flow once again as we indulged in dessert and small talk.

“Ladies I appreciate the dinner and the company but I better be going now.” Manny spoke as he pushed his chair back from the table, and added, “Mrs. Reed you think on it and let me know. Judy, Atalanta,” Manny acknowledged us as he walked from the kitchen; I followed him to the front door.

“Thanks Manny,” I said, placing a hand on his sleeve, “Mom is being a little over protective. She’ll come around.”

“Yeah sure, you take care, kid.”

“… I don’t know.” Judy and mom were huddled at the table their conversation ceased with my return.

Sitting down across from them, “I-we have been through a lot of changes in the last few months. I owe both of you my life and you each took a terrible chance to give me a chance at a normal life. And I appreciate that more than I can tell.”

“But,” Mom prompted smiling.

“But,” I replied, “It gets more difficult and scary from here on. Up until now the lessons have kept us both busy and that was probably a good thing. Except for the date thing and I have to arrange that, the other items from last week are all individual accomplishments. Unless,” I teased, “you are going to show me how to use that,” I traced with my fingers the electronic device I was given last week.

“Atalanta, you are scandalous.”

“Yes, I am, aren’t I,” giggling, “but you did bring up a good point about self defense and awareness which I think Manny’s system can teach me.”

“I’m sure he can and it will. Just give me a few days to get use to the idea. Okay?”

“Sure momma,” I replied, “I think I will get ready for bed.”

I got up from the table and started from the room stopped and turned back around.

“You forget something, Atalanta?”

“Yes I guess I did, but I don’t know how or where to start.”

“The beginning is a good place.”

“Once upon a time …”

“Not that far back,” mom scolded.

“Oh-okay, I’ve been having these dreams.”

“Dreams or nightmares,” Judy queried.

“No, they’re not nightmares but I’m wondering what they might mean.”

“Sometimes,” Judy added, “dreams are symbols or gibberish but sometimes they are trying to give you a message. How often do they occur?”

I hesitated slightly before answering because doing so would verbalize my internal fears and make it impossible to ignore.
“Last night was the twelfth night in a row.”

“What,” both women exclaimed.

I then told them about the dream’s content.

“Let see if I got this right,” mom began, “For twelve nights you have had basically the same dream except the direction and location and color of the corn.”
“Except that I’ve cycled through each three times.”

“Have you tried any internet searches?”

“Yes but I haven’t had any luck,” I replied.

“I think we all should try an internet search individually using dreams, running woman, this location, landmarks, and anything connected with this area. We may overlap but one person might follow a search another person would dismiss.”

“This started like on a Friday night two weeks ago.”

“That’s right,” I agreed.

“You do anything out of the ordinary that day,” Mom’s gaze narrowed.

“No, I …,” I automatically began and then remembered and it must have shown on my face.

“Atalanta,” I knew that tone but usually it was as ‘Alan’ and I always had some explaining to do afterwards. While I wasn’t banned from that place it was understood.

Grimacing I replied, “That Friday I did take Ready out for a ride.” That sentence fell flat on its face.

“And, where did you go?”

“I sort of wandered around a bit and Ready eventually led me to the canyon that doesn’t exist.” Okay so shoot me I’m a coward.

“It’s all Ready’s fault is it,” Mom accused smiling.

Maybe I wasn’t in trouble.

“No momma,” I replied, “I think it was a joint effort; Ready took me there but I led us down into the basin.”

“Then what happened,” Judy prompted me.

“I sort of had a vision,” I answered suddenly uncomfortable.

“Tell us about it dear,” mom commanded me sweetly; her voice soft and even.

Uh-oh, I was in trouble.

“There’s not much really to tell,” I protested. “I felt similar to when I was small and had a fever where everything wasn’t in proportion. And I either saw or felt some type of ceremony with drums and chants.”

“And you didn’t think this vision and the dreams are related.”

“I don’t see how,” I insisted, “The dreams are about running and the vision seemed to be more about a village or home. They’re related by simply occurring together but correlation doesn’t mean causation.” I figured that was my ace in the hole because she had preached that in our economic classes.

“I think we should still do the searches and I’ll make a few calls and see what we find,” Judy interjected.

“That makes sense,” mom agreed, “and we go from there. But you young lady,” she pointed at me, “no more secrets.”

I nodded, “Okay, but I think I’ll go to bed now.”

Alone in my bedroom I undressed and donned my nightshirt that I favored over the more frilly designs that my mother wanted me to wear. However, I habitually performed my nighttime ritual of cleansing and moisturizing and brushing my hair and tying it in place. Finished I went out to wish mom and Judy goodnight.

“Still wearing that ratty old thing I see.”

“Momma I like it.”

up
268 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

momma

can't have it both way. she want her to protect herself but not to learn how. I'm sure she will come around. are they planning to have her power tested?
good chapter, thanks

You are right

her mom can't have it both ways. She'll come around in due time, helped by an incidence in the next chapter. Powers testing? Despite mutants being in the news the idea she is a mutant is not broached for a long time.

Her mom being a doctor has her certified as intersex so a mutation is not on their radar yet. It will be though.

I appreciate the comment.

Katelyn

I had my doubts at first.

This story is developing nicely now. At first it seemed somewhat disjointed and in need of an editor to correct grammatical errors. Now you seem to have found your voice and your stride and it is enjoyable.

Thank you so much for writing this.

I have some American Indian Blood, but have never had the courage to try to connect with them. When I was young, I was told not to speak of it because my Mother did not want to face prejudice.

Much Peace

Gwen

Thanks for the reply

It did start a little different. The first portion was like a telling of a question and answer session that I had with myself. I guess you could say it was an outline of sorts. I let the character take me where she takes me.

This is my first writing attempt and you will not believe how hard it was to press the save button.

I'm glad that you are liking the story.

Katelyn

Picking up

Tas's picture

Things are moving asking nicely now, and I'm off to continue reading :)

-Tas