Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2291

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2291
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I saw Simon look behind me and he frowned, “The young lady from the football games if I’m not mistaken.” It was the football talent scout. He touched me on the shoulder and I turned to see him standing very close.

“Hello, Mr Sinclair,” I said trying to stay polite.

“Goodness are all these young ladies with you?”

“Yes.”

“Do they play football?”

Julie made a face as if she’d just stepped in something unpleasant.

“Mainly Danielle and Trish who you’ve seen, plus Livvie plays a bit as well.”

He fixed his gaze on Danielle. “You look quite glamorous now, I wouldn’t have recognised you but for your parents. I’d dearly like you to try out for our ladies team.”

“Yeah okay,” said Danni shrugging.

“What, you will?”

“Yeah.”

“You lovely girl,” he beamed at her, we’re holding some trial tomorrow morning at the Rec, could you make it?”

Danni looked at me. I sighed and then nodded.

“Brilliant, we need to sign this talented miss before someone else gets her. See you at half ten, then. I think you’ll find it will be worth her while, Mum. Bye.”

He left and as he did Simon said quietly, “Oh well the excrement and the atmospheric oscillator are getting closer together.”

“What’s that mean?” whispered Danni.

“The poo hits the fan,” answered Julie less quietly.

The rest of the meal was undisturbed and the food was delicious as always. I had a medium rare sirloin steak as my main course with new potatoes and vegetables and a dish of fresh cream trifle. I really needed to think about cycling again—but tomorrow was out by the look of it.

The conversation had recovered from things football and I chatted with Julie about the salon. Her new door was much better and warmer too. Phoebe joined in the conversation about the salon and soon I’d forgotten about the football altogether.

Simon said the bank had planned on investing millions in the hotel it had bought on Hayling Island and when it was finished it would be better than this one. I listened as he elaborated on the plans they had for leisure and tourism. I decided I needed a wee and Danni and Julie decided to come with me which Simon said was a strange phenomena.

“What is?” asked Sammi.

“That you aren’t all going to the loo together.”

I didn’t hear her reply but he laughed loudly which implied she’d said something funny back to him. On the return journey as we came out of the ladies the referee chap emerged from the Gents loo. “Oh hello,” he said. “You don’t happen to have a brother, do you?” he asked Danielle.

I was about to intervene when she answered him herself, “No that was me, I used to pretend to be a boy to get a game—but when you get a bit older, your body changes and you can’t hide them, can you?” She thrust out her chest and he nodded.

“Blimey, I’d never have guessed you were a girl, even today you played better than the others, the boys included. Get yourself into a pro team, you’ve got a genuine talent, girl, don’t waste it.”

He nodded to the rest of us and walked on. “Good thinking, Batgirl,” said Julie to her sister.

The rest of the evening was less eventful and we got home at half past ten the two little ones fast asleep in Julie’s and my arms. I was quite surprised when she offered to carry Lizzie, but then Cate is quite a bit bigger and heavier. I had hoped Simon would carry her but he and Sammi were deep in discussion as we’d boarded the bus.

While I sent the younger ones up to bed and Jacquie put the two little ones to bed, I shoved Danni’s kit in the tumble drier to make sure it was okay for the morning and I got Si to clean her boots. He grumbled but did it.

He’d had a few drinks and that meant he fell asleep as soon as we got to bed which was a partial relief. I was too tense for sex, although he always reckons it relaxes him—I think that’s his excuse for falling asleep as soon as he’s climaxed—however, it might have been nice to talk about the morning with him.

I tossed and turned for quite a while seeing different scenarios, all of them negative, some more traumatic than others. In one I saw some outraged girl call Danni a boy and pull her shorts down only to discover her mistake. There was lots of embarrassment and apologies but I felt really angry and wanted to hit her. It was possibly my anger which woke me up and after I’d been for a wee, I checked on the girls, they were all fast asleep, including our own version of Stanley Matthews. I slipped back into bed, Simon hadn’t moved and for a moment he didn’t seem to be breathing. I put my cool hand on his throat to feel for a pulse and he sat up with a start pushing me out of bed where I landed heavily on the floor.

“Woss goin’ on?” he demanded. “Babes, where are you?”

“I’m down here you big galoot.”

“What’re you doing down there?” he peered over the edge of the bed.

“You just knocked me out of bed.”

“I didn’t did I?”

“Yes you jolly well did, I’ve hurt my arm.”

“Hang on, I’ll get you up.” He jumped out of bed and apologised as he helped me back into bed. My shoulder hurt like mad and he went off to find me some painkillers, apologising again. “Sorry about that, Babes, I must have dreamt it, but it felt like someone grabbed my throat.”

“If my shoulder wasn’t so sore, I might well have done,” I replied frostily. I took the pills he offered and he put his arm round me. “You might have to take Danni tomorrow if I can’t drive.”

“Oh shit,” he said under his breath, “Perhaps Trish’ll be able to do some magic on it first thing.”

I wanted to say not to bet on it, but I held my breath and wriggled to try and get comfortable, I did eventually sleep but it wasn’t for very long. At breakfast, Trish did her best and did make it easier but it still hurt too much to drive. In the end Julie took Danni to her football trial but in my car. Simon had omitted to tell me he had a meeting that morning with his dad. It was a covert one and to cover his tracks he took Trish and Livvie with him to make it look like it was a social visit. There were rumours abounding that the Chinese were looking for European banks to purchase and High St was one such enterprise, despite Henry saying publicly he wasn’t interested. Sometimes people assume you’re just holding out for more money. He wasn’t he was telling the truth.

Sammi was busy on her computer. “Don’t you spend enough time playing with those at work?”I remarked after passing her the coffee she’d requested.

“Not now, Mummy, we’re under cyber attack—big time.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wow!

Talk about a busy day, Not content with standing back and letting circumstances guide her, Danni decided attck was the best form of defense, Quite a smart move that straight way she has put the scout off the scent, Okay it might be temporary but at least if gives the Camerons time to think of future moves...

Then we have the shock of Cathy eating something other than a Tuna Jacket... What is the world coming too, Next thing we know she will giving up cycling (only joking there that is NEVER likely to happen)...

Not sure what to make of a Chinese takeover, They do seem to be into pretty much everything and their pockets seem to be bottomless, Guess that is one we will have to wait and see on...

Sammi's comment that the bank is under a major cyber attack could well be connected with the Chinese move on the bank, Maybe they think if they can destabilize High Street they will be able to buy it much cheaper, Again this something that we will have to take a raincheck on...

Kirri

Chinese Government

The Chinese Government is well known for such tactics. My last job had major attacks from hackers in China since we developed web sites for the government in hopes of getting confidential information and access to other government systems. If you want to destabilize any government then the easiest way is to attack infrastructure such as government computers that affect transportation, banking, and welfare systems such as medicaid and food stamps. If people are cutoff from welfare then there is riots. The Chinese would love to have an inroad to the European money systems where they could manipulate which is what the bank purchase would allow them to accomplish.

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Yes, they have no scruples

There are loads of criticism of US spying but little vitriol when China does it. In a recent NPR segment in the states it was explained to the reporter that the Chinese feel that stealing industrial secrets is in the national security interest so it is justified. Their goal of course is to gain enough power to throw their weight around in the world with no compunctions. People complain of US Hegemony but it would pale in comparison to a world where China dominates.

I am ashamed that I am of Chinese extraction.

Stanley Matthews.

He's one of the few footballers I know about - well him and the recently deceased Tom Finney. I didn't think you were old enough to have heard of him, Ang :) He was from the days when top division footballers would catch a bus to play on Saturday afternoons.

Now it's going to be interesting to watch you juggle two story-lines simultaneously - cyber attacks and Dani's footballing exploits.

Robi

Cyber attacks and footie

Well, I do hope that Danni can fend of the Neanderthal types. She'll have them round her all her life.

As to the Cyber attacks, I just assume that someone is rooting around in my hard drive these days, but as long as I can get done what I like, it does not seem so serious.

G

Pretend to be a boy to get a game?

Podracer's picture

Cunning - doesn't seem like an instant Danni response to me, I wonder if it was prepared in advance? Anyway, seems to me like adventure calleth, enjoy the ride young lady.

Speaking of which, your poor bike must be feeling very neglected Cathy. Just think of it, sad tyres, thin film of dust on the saddle, a few cobwebs and cat hairs sticking to the derailleur :(

"Reach for the sun."