Dancing Queen: 14

Printer-friendly version
Mum comments on my dancing
and I show my first couple round a house

Ballroom dancing has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, but I didn’t realise just how important it would become in shaping my future, until I had to take the place of one of my bosses following an accident.


Dancing Queen


A novel


by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2013 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

Image Credit: Picture from Wikimedia Commons. Free for commercial and personal use with restriction under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence.


 

Chapter 14 — Mum’s opinion, and Michelle’s first viewing

As a result of Mum’s advice, I had a clearer idea of what was required of me in the Quickstep and Alan had also been practicing. As a result, we made a much better job than for our first run-through than we’d previously done on Tuesday. By our fourth attempt that evening I was no longer so worried that we’d been overly ambitious in our choice of routine, and was beginning to look forward to the next performance.

‘That last routine was very good indeed,’ said David, applauding as we decided to take a short break. ‘You could have the makings of the next ‘Fred and Ginger!’

‘Not with my present hair colouring,’ I replied, laughing.

However, I knew that Mum would not be quite such an easy critic and would certainly have some observations and suggestions to make.

‘So what did you think, Mum?’ I asked.

‘Not too bad! There were a couple of times when you went slightly wrong, so you are going to need some more practice but you do at least seem to dancing like a couple rather than two individuals.

I grinned at Alan and he smiled back.

‘Shall we show them our Viennese Waltz?’ I asked Alan.

‘OK then.’

The Waltz went without a hitch and Mum and David expressed themselves satisfied with our performance, it was merely a question of having a practice session with the other couples to ensure that they followed our lead.

‘We should be able to do that during the normal club practice session next Tuesday evening,’ said Alan.

‘Alright, I’ll notify everyone concerned,’ I replied.

We were about to return to practising the Quickstep when Mum asked about costume once again.

‘What about your shoes, Michelle?’ she asked.

‘I’ll be wearing the ones that I currently have on,’ I replied, not sure what she meant.

‘Oh.’

‘What’s wrong with them?’ I asked.

‘They should be alright for dancing the Waltz but they’re not ideal for the Quickstep. You really need more support over the arch to hold the foot comfortably and securely in the shoe,’ she commented.

As far as I was concerned, a lady’s dance shoe was a lady’s dance shoe, but clearly there was more to it than that.

‘I’m afraid they are the only pair I will have available, Sarah has loaned them to me.’

‘Do you still take a size six?’

I nodded.

‘In that case I may have a pair up in the loft that you can use.’

‘How about you, Alan, what will you be wearing for the demonstration?’

‘These shoes and the tail suit that I wore last time; I am borrowing it from David’ he replied.

She clearly wasn’t impressed by that either.

‘That suit was too small for you. I could see that from the video.’

‘Maybe, but I can’t really afford to get myself a new one at present.’

Alan had a job working at the distribution centre for a supermarket chain, but I doubted whether he made a lot of spare money, and ballroom dancing can be an expensive business.

‘There is a tail suit in my attic, which I feel sure would fit you better,’ said Mum, smiling.

‘Really?’ said Alan.

‘Yes, it used to belong to my late husband when we went dancing together. I kept all his dance costumes after he died in case my son ever had need of them, but he took after me and stopped growing too soon for them to be of any use to him,’ she said talking as if her son was no longer present. ‘I’m sure it is in good condition, and there are some other male dance costumes as well, if you are interested.

‘Well, if you’re sure, Mrs Williams, I’d be happy to have a look at them.’

‘Of course you would have to get them down from the loft for me, but you are welcome to try them on.’

‘Thank you.’

‘There is also a much better pair of shoes for Michelle, with a double strap, in a suitcase in the loft somewhere. Would there any chance that you and your friend could get them down for me sometime soon?’

Alan turned to David, who nodded.

‘We could have a look for you this evening, if you like, when we give you a lift home.’

‘Good, at least then we’ll know that you’ll both be alright for Saturday week.’

~o~O~o~

An hour and a half later the two guys had retrieved four large suitcases from our attic and deposited them in our spare bedroom. After quickly looking through a couple of them, Mum found a tail suit, a dinner jacket, a pair of grey trousers and a couple of fancy shirts which she handed to Alan.

‘Try these on; if they fit, you are welcome to have them.’

Mum and I left them for a few moments and then were called back. Alan was wearing the tail suit and one of the shirts and looked absolutely wonderful, although I wasn’t going to say so, as I didn’t want to excite any jealousy on the part of David.

‘What do you think, Michelle?’ he asked.

‘I think it fits you better than the other one,’ I said.

‘Yes, you look very smart indeed,’ added Mum. ‘As you are going to be dancing with my daughter, I should like you to have them.’

‘Thank you very much. Would you now like us to put the cases back in the loft for you?’ replied Alan.

‘No, don’t bother, for the time being, I have to find that pair of shoes for Michelle to wear and there may be one or two other costume items in here that she’ll be able to use over the next few weeks.’

‘In that case we’ll be happy to come back and put them back for you whenever you have had a chance to sort through them.’

~o~O~o~

‘He’s a nice looking guy, and a good dancer,’ commented Mum after they’d left. ‘It is a pity he’s spoken for.’

I blushed, not sure how to take her comment. She noticed my embarrassment.

‘You have the makings of a good dancer, too, Michelle‘

‘But only in the female role,’ I commented.

‘Yes! I’m afraid you never had the physique for a professional male dancer, but you do have elegance and a good sense of rhythm.’

I didn’t respond for a while, thinking that maybe she was right.

‘Mum, you referred to me as your daughter earlier, when you spoke to Alan.’

‘Well I did warn you that you could be my son or my daughter, but not both. Looking the way you do at present, I could hardly refer to you as my son.’

‘No, I suppose not.’

Neither of us spoke for a minute or two whilst we both took in the implications of what had just been said, but then Mum spoke once more.

‘I was happy to have a son, but at the same time I’d always wanted a daughter to be able to help with her dance costumes. Unfortunately your father and I left it too late to have any more children. That’s why I’m so pleased to have you as Michelle for a while. As I said last week, I’m really looking forward to the next few weeks.’

I could see from her expression that she meant it.

‘Me too; so far I’m enjoying being your daughter and looking forward to the next few weeks.

~o~O~o~

I was able to take my time getting dressed on Friday morning, as I had no need to go into work before showing the elderly couple around the house at Houghton Regis. I therefore fixed my hair and makeup on my own and felt that I’d made a pretty good job of it. Mum even commented that I looked like a professional young woman, as I was leaving. It was surprising what a difference it made to the way I felt about myself, knowing that I looked so good.

As I drove over towards Houghton Regis I gave some thought to how I was going to deal with the elderly couple. It seemed as if she was going to be the decision maker, he would just need a little stroking of his ego and then would go along with whatever she wanted. My sales pitch would have to be aimed at her, but I needed to be careful not to appear too pushy. I would therefore concentrate on those aspects that were likely to be of most interest to her. For example I would point out that the kitchen was somewhat larger and more conveniently sited compared with most modern houses in the area and that although the house needed superficial attention it could be modernised without them spending a great deal of money.

I arrived at the house about fifteen minutes before they were due to arrive so that I could have a preliminary look round and work out what I was going to say to them. I knew that the house was within their budget and was fairly close to their married daughter (which was their main reason for deciding to move). I also knew that they wouldn’t be able to afford a lot more. On the other hand the house was a little scruffy and run down, although it had potential and its condition was reflected in the asking price.

‘Hello, Mr and Mrs Johnson, thank you for coming, and it’s nice to see you again,’ I said as I opened the door to them.

(The first rule in showing someone around a house is to appear cheerful and welcoming when they arrive.)

‘Hello, young lady, we weren’t expecting to see you this morning,’ she replied.

‘I know, but my bosses have let me out of the office as a special treat today as I have been a good girl all week. Now please come in and I’ll show you around, and please call me Michelle.’

I began my tour of the house letting them enter each room first: that way they get more of an impression of spaciousness. I did my best to be positive, but also to be open and honest in answering their questions or responding to their observations. I did not seek to hide any of the faults, and didn't contradict when they pointed out the disadvantages. Yet at the same time I tried to get them to focus on the advantages it had to offer. My strategy and preparations seemed to work and within half an hour I felt that I developed a rapport with the couple. Eventually after about an hour of looking round the house followed by a brief discussion outside, I felt that I’d done everything I could.

‘If you have no more questions, and there is nothing that you would like to see again, I’ll leave you to consider whether or not it was what you are looking for,’ I said smiling.

‘Yes, thank you dear, we may be interested, but there is so much to take into account,’ she said.

‘Well, take your time, I’m not pressing you for a decision,’ but it would be nice to know one way or another.’

‘Yes of course, we’ll let your office know next week, but we do both appreciate the way you have shown us round and answered all our questions.’

I smiled and took my leave with them still looking at the front garden, discussing what might be done with it. As I drove back to the office I went through how things had gone in my mind. I felt reasonably satisfied with my performance. I quite enjoyed the work and, with a little more experience, I could do it well.

I arrived back at the office just before lunchtime and as soon as I’d taken off my coat, changed my shoes and refreshed my makeup, Sarah asked to have a quick word with me in the back office.

~o~O~o~


Next time: I acquire some new costumes

Thanks to Bronwen for editing and to everyone else for comments and kudos which are always appreciated. I have posted this chapter a day early as I have to be away over the weekend, but will resume Saturday posting next week! Louise

up
226 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

It's obvious......

D. Eden's picture

That Michelle has much more confidence - just another indication that she is here to stay!

I am truly enjoying this story and look forward to the next chapter.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

New costumes

good story wonderful entertinment

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Louise dear......

Love how the stories progressing! Michelle's Momma love's having a daughter to dote over and may not want to see her change back. Everyone's so excepting of Mike as Michelle that I think going back would have a disastrous effect on him. Louise dear, more pwease! Loving Hugs Talia

It's A Conspiracy

joannebarbarella's picture

And it's working! Michelle will be a permanent fixture. Entertaining, Louise,

Joanne

I thought mothers had gaydar

I'll bet the dance outfits mom has are a little better then what they've been using.
I wonder if that property is sold, will Michelle get the commission ? She was there from start to finish.
What a wonderful tale Louise !
Cefin