Comdex - 10 - Youze Pays yer Nickel and Youze Take yer Chance

Printer-friendly version


Comdex 10

Youze Pays yer Nickel and Youze Takes yer Chance

 
 
 
It took about 10 minutes for Simon, Andy, and Patrick to get him dressed. He looked like an oversized baby girl in his pink footed one piece hooded sleeper, except his zipped up the back, and locked. Well that and the fact he was handcuffed and manacled.
 
“Well now, isn’t that better? Pastel Pink is definitely you. You are going to Massachusetts. Carol is there with your journal, and your files. I’ve been reading all about your activities. Carol is LIVID that you’ve raped those women. She’s even angrier that you would give her jewelry you stole from those women. I’ll tell you now, IF you see her you better be polite because I KNOW she would gladly cut your very teeny wiene off.”

I pulled my K-bar knife again, and this time I wickedly slashed Maxwell from shoulder to hip.

 
 
Thank you Chelle for your proof reading/editing skills! Of course, any errors are solely mine.
 

Comdex 10
Youze Pays yer Nickel and Youze Takes yer Chance
 
 

------------------------
 
Belle of the South Motel, Birmingham, Alabama, Thursday, December 27, 2001 1400 hours.
 
 
Impossible.

Inconceivable.

And that thing on the TV, intolerable.

Hell, all he did was give that stuck up bitch what she wanted. How could they not see that? She gave him a case of blue balls, and then when he finally shoved it to her she kept moaning, urging him on. Damn, she was such a slut and he climaxed way too soon. The only thing that stopped him from doing her again was she fainted after he slapped her around a little for making him cum too fast.

Bitch

He was going to prison. There was no way he could avoid that. The files in the safe might earn him a one way trip to the death chamber. Oh DAMN!! The jewelry in Carol’s jewelry box. Some of that was from women he had raped or murdered.

And it was all that Bitch’s fault. There was no way he could get close enough to her to really make her pay for all she’d done to him.

The first thing he needed was money. He should still be able to convert his CD’s to his checking account, and then start drawing cash from that account. He should have enough to buy a new identity. First things first. He walked down the street to a used car lot. There he purchased a 1973 green Chevy Nova. The salesman was a bit dubious about taking his VISA card. His frown “turned upside down” when the charge went through.

He drove it off the lot. It seemed to run well, and had good tires. He decided he would start growing a beard and shave his head.

Maxwell got in his car and drove to a local Walmart. He purchased and activated 5 phones with prepaid plans. $50 in prepaid time for each. He’d probably not use that much, but this wasn’t the time to go cheap. He also bought a laptop computer and case, with Microsoft’s Trips and Streets. Finally, the best Magellan GPS he could find.

At least the Downey accounts were still good. Who knows for how long?

The next stop, a numismatic store. He explained he didn’t trust the banks and wanted to start buying precious metals. He told the shop owner he feared a “2000” scenario, and wanted to convert as much of his holdings as he could.

The shop owner, Ian Furbish, was more than happy for the business after Christmas. “How much would you like to invest Mr. Downey?

“Could you handle $1,000,000?” Maxwell asked.

“Certainly, but only about half would be in coin, the other in bullion. The shop owner explained.

Maxwell handed his VISA card in the name of Michael Downey. With a smile he told the shop owner they would probably have him call for authorization.

The shop owner, Ian Furbish, ran the card through the credit terminal. The call for authorization came up on the screen. When the shop owner called, he was asked to give the phone to Mr. Downey. Maxwell took the phone and answered a series of challenge/responses to prove who he was. Maxwell hung up the phone and the credit terminal printed his receipt. $1,005,500.00.

Maxwell scrawled “Downey” on the receipt.

A few minutes later he walked out with a bit over 150 pounds of gold, platinum, and silver. These he put in his trunk.

Maxwell needed clothes. Something other than his usual custom tailored suits; maybe mostly jeans. He stopped in a store he normally avoided like the plague. K-Mart. 30 minutes later he had enough clothes for a week.

He ran into a streak of luck. Another gold and silver store. A few minutes schmoozing, a few minutes complaining about the government, and he had another 150 pounds of precious metal. It joined the rest in the trunk of the car. He figured that would be it. The poor old car couldn’t hold much more.

Maxwell returned to the “Belle of the South” Motel. It was absolutely the sleaziest Motel he’d ever stayed in. Hell, they didn’t even ask for ID. It would do. Maxwell ordered pizza, and made a phone call guaranteed to give the Bitch an ulcer.

--------------------------------

Steven’s Estate, Thursday, December 27, 2001 1720 hours.

“Cendar after-hours communications desk, this is Lars, how may I help you?”

“Can you get Kate Stevens on the phone?”

“Sir, Ms. Stevens is recovering from recent injuries. If I can reach her, who should I say is calling?”

“I met her on her recent cruise, I know she was hurt, and wanted to wish her well.”

“Just a moment sir, and your name is?”

“Just tell her it’s John, and I loved dancing with her.”

“Please hold the line.”

Lars decided to pass the call through to Andy. There was something about the caller that didn’t “feel” right.

“Hello? Andrew Jeeves.”

“Andy, it’s Lars, I’m on the communications desk tonight. I have a caller on line seven who says his name is John and that he enjoyed dancing with Kate on her cruise. He supposedly wants to wish Kate a speedy recovery.

“Lars, listen carefully. Be sure your recorder is recording. We’re going to bounce the caller from one “level” to another “level” of responsibility. Transfer the call to this line in 45 seconds. Got it?

“Record, start trace procedures, delay 45 seconds then put him through.”

“Good Man.”

Andy dialed Simon’s cell phone. “Hello mate.”

“Quick as you can, trace line 7 into the communications center. It’s Kate’s rapist.”

Andy dialed Hal. “Boss, Kate’s rapist is calling in. I’ve Simon trying to trace it, I’m in the downstairs office.”

“I’m on my way.”

“Hello, this is Andrew Jeeves, communications officer for the Steven’s estate, how may I help you?”

“It took long enough.” Maxwell said peevishly. “I’m trying to reach Kate Stevens. My name is John, and I danced with Kate on her cruise. She disappeared and I heard she had to be medevac’d. I was calling to see if she’s okay.”

“Let me see if she’s available. It might take a few minutes, please hold while I try.”

“So, do we let Kate know about this?”

“Andy, she’d filet us if we didn’t tell her. Hal picked up a house phone and called Annie.”

“Annie, get your Mom and get her to the office as fast as you can. If Dorothy or Linda’s there, bring them too, hell bring everyone but the kids. Go, we may have her rapist on the line, and we’re tracing it.”

“Sir, I’ve been told Kate can take a call, she needs to be transferred into a wheelchair, so we’re getting someone to help her come to the phone. Please hold, it shouldn’t be more than two or three minutes.”

Linda, Annie, Kate, Sheila, Dorothy, TJ, Carol, and Leo all arrived in a rush.

“I told him it would be another two or three minutes. Everything is being recorded, and Simon’s working on tracing the caller’s location.”

“Kate, do you want to talk to him? We’ll all be right here. He can’t hurt you, all he can do is try to scare you.” Hal told her

I took several deep breathes and told Andy to put him through.

“Kate, just try to sound weak and hurt at the beginning.”

“Since I do hurt, that’s not much of a reach.”

“Sir, I can transfer you now.”

I picked up the phone and in a very tremulous voice said “Hello, this is Kate Stevens.”

“I was just sitting here, jacking off thinking of fucking you while waiting on a pizza. I thought I should call you, you fucking cunt.”

“Oh my God! It’s John Maxwell.”

“I’m glad you remember me you scummy piece of shit. You’re dead, you and your friend Linda. Dead. Dead. Dead. But before I kill you I’m going to fuck you one more time. I’ll bring a big knife and open your cunt up and fuck you. I think this time I’ll forgo the gag. I want to hear you scream.”

“John, I’ve just one thing you should know.”

“What, you want to thank me for opening up your cunt you freaky fucking slut?”

“No, what I wanted to tell you is the nozzle of my douche bag is bigger than that pathetic piece of meat you call your prick.”

There was silence for a few second then an enraged “WHAT?”

“Let me break it down into simple words John, you have a very teeny wienie.”

“You fucking freak of nature. I was going to hurt you then kill you quick so I could have time for your friend Linda. But you’re going to take a long time dying.

“As long as it takes for you to get it up?” I replied.

“You’re awfully brave considering you’re dead. You and Linda both.”

“And you talk really big for someone so tiny.”

“Just keep looking over your shoulder bitch. I’m going to get you for all you’ve done to me.”

“John, I’ve done nothing to you. Yet. You’d be advised to watch your back. Our private police and the military protection divisions of Cendar security were really incensed by what you did to me. You do know, don’t you, we only hire individuals with backgrounds such as Marine Recon, PJs, British SAS, FBI agents, and people with similar backgrounds? They are very elite warriors. This call is being recorded. When they hear it they’ll go absolutely ape-shit. Once they have you, I’m guessing you’ll die the death of a thousand cuts. No matter what I say, they will do what they will do. And you will just disappear. No more very teeny wienie for you. Oh wait. Maybe I can save your worthless ass. They might strap you to a table and turn your teeny tiny wienie into your very own vagina. Wouldn’t that be special? Then we can find a “real man” for you.”

This call was NOT going the way Maxwell thought it would go. He hung up.

I was shaking, and started crying as soon as he hung up. Everyone was looking at me. “What?”

“Bravo Kate Bravo,” Andy said

“Honey, I think you managed to scare him.”

“If he didn’t have penis envy before, you can bet he does now!”

Linda wrapped me in her arms. “I’m so proud of you Babe. I could never have done that.”

My Mom joined the hug and whispered in my ear “If I’d had the presence of mind to say half of that maybe Tiny wouldn’t have had the balls to rape me.”

“Momma, I’ve never been so scared.”

Annie grabbed me and hugged me to the point where I was having trouble breathing, “Mom, you were awesome, just really absolutely awesome!”

Once again, my family made me feel their love for me; and it hurt in all the good kinds of ways.

Simon came bursting into the office. “Andy! I managed a trace to Birmingham Alabama, I can’t narrow it down much closer than a couple of city blocks. There are a lot of low class, and low cost motels on those two blocks. It’s the perfect place to hide.”

Simon noticed the rest of us, and bowed in my direction, “My Lady, we may be able to acquire Mister John Maxwell. If we do, much of the credit will go to you. You were able to keep him talking long enough to trace him back to three cell towers. That gives us a firm location.”

“My Lord, I await the order from you or from My Lady.

“Andy, how soon can you get an action team together? Somewhere around thirty men. More is better than less. Take copies of Maxwell’s picture, and be sure they all have a stack of $50.00 bills. Check in with the local police, tell them you are acting as bondsmen. If the police chief gives you any static at all have him call my private line. He’ll geek if I promise enough “in kind” donations to his department. Let’s start this right.” Hal reached over to a check imprinter. He then wrote a check for $75,000.00 payable to Birmingham Police Department for equipment upgrades. “Tell him we’ll be issuing a press release about our grant about noon tomorrow, our time. Let him know if there’s a particular upgrade or equipment that costs more we would probably look favorably upon providing it. Then tell him why we’re there and ask for his help. He may decide to swear you all in. Make sure all the men carry their current badges, federal firearms weapons permits, and documents as bail bondsmen. Spread the money, find the man. Be sure they know this bastard is armed. I would prefer him to be taken alive, but don’t take chances. Get going, you’ll be leading it. I’ll call and have the jet ready. Don’t take away men from the estate security detail. Go!”

“Simon, you know more about tracing signals than I ever will. Stay in your work area. I’ll be sure food is brought in, whatever you need. Watch those towers, if he calls any number I want to know. He likely will throw that phone away. So watch all the traffic in that area. If he bought more than one of the same kind, maybe they’ll have a similar MAC number. If you need something tell Kate, or me, or Andy and you’ll have it as soon as possible. You’ll always have a job here, my Lady’s liegeman. You have earned every honor we can bestow.” With that, Hal bowed deeply to Simon

“I turned to Sheila. Get Patrick and suit up. I’m going too.”

“Kate, you can’t.”

“Why can’t I? Would you deny me this? Apart from Leo and Carol, who are untrained, I am the only one who can make a positive ID.” I stared Hal down.

“You’re right. But you are wearing your Tactical-Suit at all times. It has more than enough Kevlar to stop a .45.”

“Thank you Hal. I would also take Simon. He may be able to narrow things down if he’s able to access the actual cell phone towers. I’m sure he can route all traffic wirelessly.”

“Thank you My Lady, I’ll not fail you.”

Leo interrupted. “There’s some things you have to know about and a decision to be made right now. Carol took all the files from Maxwell’s safe. She also took his ledger book. I’ve looked through them briefly, they tie him to several murders, and 12 separate rapes. He always took some piece of jewelry from the women. These he would later give to carol. We have all the jewelry that was listed. John is looking at a death sentence.”

“Who do we turn these over to, and how?”

“Leo, I’ll call Governor Wells, describe what’s here, and ask for a couple of State Police to take custody of it.”

“But first, Annie pull gloves on and photograph every page, then photograph each linked piece of jewelry. Finally, photocopy every file, and the ledger. Four copies, collated and stapled or bound. How soon can you do that?”

“Most likely it will take a couple of hours.”

“Then we’ll release a statement to the press about how Mrs. Maxwell brought the documents and jewelry, and that she, and her children are now in hiding.”

“Carol, will that all be okay with you?”

“Protect me and my babies and I’ll willingly make the first cut in, what did you call It, The Death of a Thousand cuts? Get him! Tell him I’m right here. That bastard beat me over and over again. He even took out insurance on my parents then murdered my Mom and Dad in a staged “accident.”

“Carol,” Hal spoke softly to her, “Kate, Linda, and I will pay you for every piece of the jewelry we turn over. You’ll never need to work unless you want to.”

“Well, I still want her to be house mother in our new shelter.” I told the group, “I suppose this is a good time to tell you, the sale of the Jacob’s estate was finalized today. I got a good deal. $2.9 million for 800 acres, the estate house, a garage, and several other out-buildings. We can cut a road through and seal the current entrance next week. I even got a 3-day escrow, provided all the current family sign off on the deal tomorrow. Hal, you’ll have to sign the papers. I’m going to go suit up and go to the range and practice with my Uzi.”

“Andy we’ll leave in three hours. You want to drive? Or take the Huey?”

“Kate I HATE helicopters, but we can take one if you really want.”

“Thanks Andy, and I’m going to want the medevac helicopter at Beverly when we return. Do you think we can get three or four camera crews to go with us?”

“We can try Kate. You want the entire thing filmed?”

“Can you think of a better promotional film?”

“You’re thinking the sales angle?”

“I’ve got to raise the $2.9 million some way.”

“Okay, that’s settled then. Hal, do we have a tactical suit in Simon’s size?”

“We should have.”

“Simon, you want to go down to the range with me and choose a weapon?”

“As you wish, My Lady.”

“Annie, see if you can find a suit for him and bring it downstairs. I’ll think you’re a genius if you can clothe the video people. At least protective vests if not the entire suit. Thank you.”

“Okay, I’m going to go change and pack a bag. I’ll meet you at the range in half an hour.”

People began to disperse, to do what needed to be done. I didn’t know it, but Annie had one of the Secretaries do the copying and photography. After photocopying, she examined the photos under different colored lights, looking for anything that might be hidden.

I opened my arms locker, and pulled out my Tactical suit. After filling the built in Camelback water-bladder I donned it and strapped it to fit. My .40 Glock pistol I strapped to my thigh. A K-bar knife hung upside down from the harness integral to the TAC suit, the rest of my gear was on a black Sam Browne belt. A lightweight jacket with “POLICE” emblazoned on the back covered the TAC suit. Grabbing a duffel bag I stuffed a second TAC suit, along with underwear and socks, toothbrush, etc…

I also packed two outfits to schmooze in, if needed. That meant two pair of shoes, and nylons. I’d just finished packing my helmet when Linda walked in.

“I love you,” she said, “I wish there was some way I could keep you here and safe with me.”

“I do to. Unfortunately I’m the only one who can do what needs doing. Walk with me to the range?

“Of course.” We walked hand in hand.

I wanted several items from the armory. I selected a thin knife that fit inside my boot tops. An ankle holster and a Colt “Chief’s Special” I strapped above my boot on the other ankle. As expected, my TAC suit hid them well. I took a box of “Black Talon” in .38 special, and .40 caliber and packed it in my duffel. My next item was an UZI. I packed four magazines in the pockets of the TAC suit, and I took four more and went to the range.

I’d only shot an UZI a few times. So I wanted to be certain I could control it, and carry it safely. This model had a wire stock that folded to one side of the weapon. I pulled it into position, heard the stock lock into place, loaded a magazine and flipped the switch to semi-auto. At fifteen yards I could keep my shots grouped in the 6” center of the target. I loaded the second magazine, and flipped the switch to full auto. It was a sweet weapon, even at full auto I could keep my groups in the center of mass.

“Pretty impressive shooting there Tex,” Linda teased.

“Hon, I do NOT want to have to use it, but if I need it I’ll have it.”

We walked back to the armory. I pulled out the UZI’s manual and cleaned it according to the instructions. The two used magazine were refilled then I taped them so all I had to do was to flip the magazine stack to access the second magazine. I packed a box of .40 caliber ammo for my Glock, and a couple of boxes of 9mm for the UZI.

After attaching the UZI and its tactical sling to my TAC suit I picked up three grenades, one flash-bang, one smoke, and one tear-gas and hooked them to my suit

Simon, Patrick, and Sheila walked in about the same time I’d finished cleaning the UZI.

“Simon, have you ever shot a hand gun before?”

“Yes my Lady. If there’s a SigSauer I should be fine.”

“Model P226 acceptable.”

“It’s perfect,” my Lady.

I kitted him out with a gun belt, the P226, and an asp tactical baton that he said he knew how to use, mace, flashlight, a K-bar knife, and two high capacity magazines. Simon actually looked rather dashing. We stepped over to the range, and he drew his gun and fired at the 25 yard target. Patrick, Sheila and I stood slack jawed at the speed of his shooting, and it looked like every shot went through the first hole in the target. He dropped the empty magazine and jammed a new one in before the first hit the floor, and again his hand came up and just as quickly he emptied the second magazine. This time, the shots were all to the head.

“Satisfactory my Lady?”

“Very satisfactory. Damn you’re good!”

“I learned after Jillian’s death. While not as satisfactory as killing up close, there are times when a gun can be so practical.”

Annie caught up to me there. She too was wearing a TAC suit, and a gun. “Mom, don’t say a word, don’t argue, I’m going, that’s it. Understand?”

“Honey, you don’t NEED to go.”

“Mom, I NEED to go as much as you.

“Kate, she’s right,” Lin said to me.

It was an axiom: Linda was always right. I didn’t argue any more. “Okay, if you must go, grab a shotgun and the ammo for it, I know you know how to shoot it so don’t argue. Troops, anyone need anything? Let’s go find Andy and get moving.”

“Well Kate, I see you have your retinue. Did you all remember helmets? It’s the only way you’ll be able to talk in the Huey.”

Annie pulled out two helmets. One for her, and the second she handed to Simon.
Hal came out of the office, smiling which was something I’d learned to be afraid of — usually in a good way.
Andy was wearing shoulder boards with two diamonds on each, at one end were a pair of crossed kukris. He reached up and fastened similar shoulder boards on my TAC suit. Mine had 3 diamonds, and a heavy line of gold bullion on the outer end, the other end had the crossed kukris. He pulled himself up and saluted, “Ma’am this action has been sanctioned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and takes place under the auspices of the Commonwealth’s State Police. All personnel will be sworn in before we leave the Commonwealth. ID cards and Badges are already prepared and will be issued in flight. The formal writ forfeiting John Maxwell’s bail bond and freedom, an arrest warrant for John Maxwell from the Commonwealth, your copy of John Maxwell’s files and two additional copies of each are in your cabin. Task group Swift Grip awaits your orders Ma’am.”

I returned his salute with a small laugh. “Let’s load up and get this show on the road.”

Hal and Linda walked with me. “You better be careful, if anything happens to you Maxwell wins. You know that don’t you?”

Before I could answer Linda added, “Please be careful Honey, I need you to come back in one piece. Your family is counting on you. Are you sure you have to go?”

“Lin, what kind of life would I have if I let this bastard get away, or even worse hurt you?”

Linda just held onto my hand.

“Hal, don’t worry. Nothing is going to happen to me.”

Hal didn’t say another word. He just held my other hand as firmly as he could.

I kissed Hal, then Linda. Damn they must have been practicing. It took a few seconds to begin breathing again.
As we walked to the heli-pad I asked Andy, “Okay, how did you arrange State Police credentials?”

“Well, since nearly everyone has a badge, but they are from all over, and since you and your staff are Police officers, I called Jane, and she called the State Police, and just that quick the decision was made it would be easier if everyone carried the same badge. You, by the way are ranked as a Major, and I’m now a Captain.” Andy Laughed. “And here I thought I’d retire as a sergeant. Thanks for the promotion Boss, err… I mean Major” Andy laughed some more. Giggling between words he continued “You are now the third highest ranked Police officer in the Commonwealth. You even take precedence over Boston’s Chief!” And Andy found that funny too.

We were all strapped in, the helmets did make it possible to speak. Andy showed everyone how to lower either the tinted, clear, or reflective gold Lexan lenses on their helmets. All three were bullet resistant — they’d stop a .45. Together it was hoped they would stop anything short of a .50 caliber round.

Fifteen minutes later we landed by the jet. The camera lights were on, and the camera operators were recording everything

The officers were already there. They lined up in formation. Two “lieutenants” in front. Simon, Sheila, Patrick and Annie joined their ranks.

Andy gently guided me to a position in front of the group. A man in uniform was waiting. Andy turned to me and saluted. “All present Ma’am”

Even I can get it when it’s handed to me on a silver platter. I turned to Colonel Kincaid in the State Police uniform, saluted and announced “Sir, all present or accounted for.”

He cracked a smile, “Very good Kate,” he whispered to me. He then spoke to everyone, and administered the oath of office as State Police officers. After he dismissed the formation he started chatting with me. “It’s been a while since you last taught weapons and tactics. Any chance you could teach this next class?

“Jim, I just don’t know. But if I can, I will. Thanks for making this happen.”

“After everything you’ve done? And everything Cendar has given to the Local, not to mention State, Police Departments it’s the least we could do. Go find the bastard, and bring him back.”

“I will Colonel, I will.”

(I know, I know, it’s fiction. Massachusetts and other states do not just hand out badges. However it hasn’t been so long ago (before 1980) when a security guard in California had more mandated training than a police officer in Massachusetts. Yes, I’ve been a police officer, and yes, I’ve been to the police academy in both states. The Massachusetts Law Enforcement Training Council (if they haven’t changed their name) went through the state like green grass through a goose, telling everyone to meet the required training, then setting deadlines, and enforcing the mandated changes. One glaring exception was the case of a “Special Police Officer.” Towns were authorized to create “Special Officers” for things like Campus Police (mostly very well trained), or industrial security (Not so well trained), or guards on large estates (training, what’s that??). They were also sometimes issued to local politicians).

The next five hours flew by. At 0400 we landed at Birmingham’s airport, and were met by the chief of police, and the mayor.

I stepped forward, “Gentlemen, thank you for meeting us.”

“Ma’am I assure you, we got the word from on high to extend every courtesy possible. Could you form your people up?”

I turned to Andy, he called out “Fall-in”

“I have the honor to administer the oath of office as Alabama State Troopers to ya’all by order of the Governor. Raise your right hands…”

After the oath, I turned to Andy, “Now THAT I didn’t expect.”

The Chief of Police was next, “Do you always carry a machine gun and hand grenades?”

“No Chief, only when I go into the field. Technically it’s a submachine gun, and I’m carrying smoke, tear gas, and flash-bang grenades. I didn’t really see the need to blow up anything today,“ I said and smiled.

“We have ten patrol cars or SUVs for your use. It’s all we could come up with. Ya’all have one of my men as your driver and guide. The area to be swept has been quietly cordoned off. Anyone has been allowed to enter. No one will be allowed out after 0500.

“Mr. Mayor, Chief Douglas, I have something for the Police Department. Hopefully it’ll take some of the sting out of meeting this early. Cendar will be announcing a grant to the Police Department of Birmingham at noon today in Massachusetts. Rather than mailing it, it’s my honor to present to you this check for $75,000 to upgrade equipment. If there’s something particular you need, especially in the area of technology, please ask. We make some of the finest in the field today. We always are looking for departments to make “in-kind” grants to.”

“We make it a point to support the police in areas we take an interest in. Mr. Mayor, why don’t we set down one day next week and you tell me about the economy and opportunities. Maybe Hal and I could meet with the local Chamber of Commerce? We’ve several projects that will need an entire manufacturing facility built. Probably 150 to 250 paid positions — to start. Cendar pays at least, if not more, than the prevailing wage, plus extremely generous benefits programs.”

“Chief, we also have an extensive history of bringing advanced technology to police departments. We also do training. One of our courses covers special weapons and tactics. I teach that one.”

“Hopefully this operation will go like clockwork. I see we’re all loaded, let’s go see if our bunny is at home.”

When we arrived, forty-five special operations officers fanned out. All of it captured on tape. Birmingham Police sealed the three block area. Three man teams simultaneously entered the offices of the eleven motels in the target area. One of those motels was the “Belle of the South.”

------------------------

Outside Belle of the South Motel, Birmingham, Alabama, Friday, December 28, 2001 0500 hours.

The office was locked. One officer rang the bell, another pounded on the door until the manager staggered into the office. At the sight of three armed police he stumbled over himself opening the door.

“You guys aren’t here to shake me down are you? I’ve paid my “permit” fees on time for at least a year. Why are you rousting me out of bed? And why are you wearing those frigging helmets? I can’t see your faces.”

“Sir, we’re looking for a high profile fugitive. He is considered armed and very dangerous. Have you seen this man? He slipped the man a photo and a $50.00 dollar bill.”

“Yeah, he’s here. He’s in room eleven. The green Nova is his.”

The third man of the group reported the information.

Andy issued orders. Team One established a perimeter and detached two three man groups to execute the entry. Team Two continued their checks. Again it was all captured on tape.

Kate left her team and quietly took up a position to one side of the door to room eleven. Simon took his place in the office of the “Belle of the South.”

By throat mike Kate whispered “Okay Simon, let’s see if he left the phone turned on.”

Simon pinged the closest tower, then the second, and finally the third they had used to locate John Maxwell. Simon smiled. “It looks like our wanker’s not very clever after all. You can call him My Lady.

I smiled. The entry team were beside the door. Patrick and Sheila joined me. Another team was in the alley behind.

The window to room 11 was masked off with a special ballistic blanket, which had the advantage of allowing the cameras to use their lights without alerting Maxwell, and incidentally to stop any stray bullets.

I picked up a cell phone and dialed the number John had called from last night.

On the fifth ring, without thinking John Maxwell answered the phone.

“Hello?” A very sleepy voice answered.

In my sweetest, most perky voice I replied. “Good Morning John, did you have a pleasant night?”

“Oh shit, I left the fucking phone on.”

“Yes you did sweetheart,” I signaled the battering ram “I was hoping you would.” I signaled Andy, and he ordered the team in. The door was hit with a battering ram and I tossed a flash-bang grenade in. I could hear it in stereo from the dropped phone.

I rushed in following Andy, UZI cocked and locked. Maxwell was already down on the floor. I walked over to him and made a positive identification, then pulled a black hood over his head. Maxwell was handcuffed, and manacles attached to his ankles. He was then placed in the back of a police car, and two teams left for the airport and kept a close watch over him.

Cendar’s forensics people moved in with a laser room scanner. For 5 minutes the device painted every surface in the hotel room with a laser. When that was complete, everything was photographed in situ. Finally, everything in the room was tagged and bagged. When everything was out of the room, the Green Chevy Nova was hastily checked over, the contents confiscated. Then the car was towed to the police impound lot. The entire process had taken 30 minutes. Kate went into the office and counted out 10 more $50.00 bills to the manager for “door repairs.”

The black clad special ops troops got back into their cars for the short ride to the airport. Birmingham City Police took down the barricades and just that quick, it was over. Kate and her team (and a camera crew) remained behind chatting with the Mayor and Police Chief.

I pulled my helmet off and Annie took it from me. I shook my hair out from the helmet. Patrick and Sheila never looked at me, through their gold colored lenses they watched everything. Especially if someone armed, police or not, got within range.

“And that, gentlemen,” I shook out my hair, “is what happens with modern electronics, information technology, and overwhelming force.”

“Ma’am, I must say I’m impressed. What happens to the fugitive now?”

“Technically we are acting as bail bond agents. Federal law allows us to take him into custody. He will be returned to a federal court, along with additional information we’ve developed over the last 72 hours. Then it’s a matter for a judge and jury to decide. Based on the evidence I’ve seen this man is allegedly responsible for at least 8 contract killings, 2 people were allegedly killed for their insurance money, and at least 12 women were allegedly raped and brutally beaten by this man. If convicted he could be given the death penalty on the federal charges, he still could be tried on Capital Crimes in Florida, and Minnesota. Massachusetts wants him for allegedly assaulting and raping a police officer, and battery against a police officer resulting in great bodily harm. He may be going away for a very long time-that is if he avoids the death penalty or life sentence on the various charges outstanding.”

“30 minutes, Major, 30 minutes from go to the completion of the forensics. Major, I do believe we will be doing business with you. I’m sorry, but I’m not used to calling someone solely by their rank, but you have no name tag.”

“Ooops. I ripped the Velcro cover off my name tag. Sorry Chief. I’m Kathryn Stevens. We deny any information possible to an adversary. These are some of my technical staff and bodyguards. Simon was able to locate the fugitive to this small area. We made an assumption the fugitive would be in a motel room, that assumption proved correct. Simon bounced a signal off three separate cell phone towers, measuring how long the signal took, we compared that with the computer model we had from a call he made last night. That narrowed the field, a lot. Captain Jeeves then initiated entry into the room while I kept the fugitive busy on the phone. The forensics team had a cut and dried task. All they had to do was capture the forensic picture of the room, and location of each piece of evidence. The photographer then went in with a high speed, high resolution electronic camera. The team then bagged and tagged everything. They gathered the personal effects, including 5 cell phones, a Colt .45 model 1911, over ten thousand dollars in cash, and a quantity of several metals. We have not tested them yet in case they are chemically reactive. We’ll send you a complete report on the operation, chain of evidence, and disposition of the fugitive.”

“Finally, we’ve always found it helpful to secure the help of the facility manager. In this case a fifty dollar bill to ID the photo and identify the room. We then deliberately overpaid the price to repair the room. We want and need the cooperation of private citizens, and we do, occasionally pay informants.”

“Chief Douglas, we did uncover some information you may decide to pursue. More than one Motel indicated they had already paid their monthly “permit fees.” Additionally at least two of my men were propositioned by prostitutes, indicating a probable red light district operating out of this area giving freebies to cops.”

“Ms. Stevens, why the gold face shields?”

“Our approach is to use the very latest in technology. First, our tactical suits are designed to provide the maximum advantage, without giving anything away. The fugitive was known to be armed with a Colt Model 1911 .45 caliber pistol. The face shields will withstand a .45 caliber bullet. The officers could have used a clear, a tinted, or the gold lens. We decided on gold. By using the gold lens, we deny any facial cues to whoever we’re talking to. You’d be surprised, but a significant amount, if I remember right it’s more than half of information communicated in a conversation is non-verbal.”

“The black suit and gold lens denies all that information to an interviewee. All they can see is the black and gold. It turns out to be very intimidating.”
“That is our second tool. All are techniques that are tried and true. One of the most effective is passive intimidation.
“You may have also noticed apart from my technical and guard staff every one of our special ops team is taller than 6 feet. Again, it’s a tried and true passive intimidation technique. We can even field a platoon sized unit of men 6’6” tall. We have an all-female unit over 5’10 tall. We seldom need to be that selective. This morning’s mix was about 60% male 40% female. Women in particular are ruthless in meeting their objectives. Rudyard Kipling got it right:

“But when the Hunter meets with Husband, each confirms the other’s tale,
That the female of the species is more deadly than the male”

“Never, ever go up against a female team. We fight for our children or we fight for our mate, or we fight for each other. No quarter is given, or asked for.”
“So, technology and intimidation are two tools in our arsenal. A third is our tactics. All movements and physical techniques are based on a 3 person maniple. Usually that’s two experienced officers and one new or trainee per team. This allows one to make contact, while two others provide backup. 3 maniples equal one squad. 3 squads equals one platoon of 27 people. Each platoon has a technical services squad attached. This operation had the potential of going high profile. For that reason we brought enough officers to make the capture as quiet as we possibly could. Ideally we go in, do what needs to be done, and leave. As quietly as we can. If our fugitive had the chance to start shooting we would have moved quickly to further isolate the room and prevent any collateral damage. I’m sure you saw the blanket over the window? The fabric is specially manufactured by Cendar, and in tests absorbs the energy and stops any known pistol or rifle cartridge.”

The tactical coverall we wear is proprietary to Cendar and is rated to stop a .30 caliber rifle round. Our helmets and face shields are also bullet resistant. By swarming a fugitive we can with 98% reliability take the suspect into custody without any injuries to anyone.”

“What you didn’t see, for which I am very grateful, was our trauma team. A trauma team always goes with our action teams. They are prepared to give blood, plasma expanders, even to go in surgically to clamp off a bleeding artery. They are part of the technical services squad. The trauma team consists of a doctor who is a surgeon, a combat medic, and a trauma nurse. So far, we’ve never lost an officer, a fugitive, or a bystander. But please understand, our trauma team is as armed and combat capable as any of our officers.”

“Wow. I had no idea you were so prepared.”

“One of the lesser known speeches by Defense Secretary Rumsfeld was his call for the privatization of some roles that have, till now, been provided by the military. The two largest sectors are police services and protection of officials. Cendar is perfectly positioned to step into that role whenever, and wherever the Government authorizes it.”

“Our largest effort up till now has been training, and operating police forces for small to large metropolises. We can deliver anywhere from three men to 270 (plus support and communications) on less than 24 hours’ notice. This morning’s action was carried out by officers alerted after 1800 hours last night. All of our officers will be proficient in state law, Alabama’s particulars were reviewed on the flight down. They may have to look up a code section, but otherwise can sit any police exam in the country. We maintain a shooting house for training law enforcement and military in how-to best breach and/or clear a building. We teach real world forensics. We teach various law and tactical courses. Our technical people teach computer forensics. We manufacture and provide various secure communications and computer tools.”

“I’m sorry if I sound like a salesman gentlemen. It’s my company and I’m proud of what we can do, and teach others to do. Sometimes I get long-winded. Especially after an operation when coming down from an adrenaline rush.”

“Wait a minute, Kathryn, YOU are KATE STEVENS?”

“Sorry Chief Douglas, guilty.” I destroyed any semblance of professionalism, I started to giggle.

“Day um, when you field a team you put your money where your mouth is. You actually go into hostile situations.”

“I was in this morning’s entry team. How else could I do it? I’m a bit too big to do the rough and tumble, or climbing over barriers, but like virtually any of our special ops personnel I multitask. I’m the team leader, I look for safer ways to do what needs to be done. Tactics are constantly evolving, and I’m one of the people who are responsible for that. I’m also pretty damn good with an UZI (I crossed my fingers behind my back). We all are trained in our core competencies, we then go on to excel in our own areas. I’ll pick on Simon again.

“Simon is a computer genius in a company of computer geniuses. But, Simon is the fastest person I’ve ever seen shoot a gun. You can place an Ace of Spades card from a standard deck on a target at 75 feet. Simon will put every bullet through the spade. I’ve seen him shoot so fast you’d think he was using a submachine gun. He uses a standard P226 9mm pistol.”

“Annie’s not quite as good at shooting as Simon but she is a gifted computer and fabric designer and an able administrator. She doesn’t do this for money — she already has more than she could spend. She’s also my adopted daughter. I’m proud of her. If computer or communications go down Annie and Simon will get it back in short order. Our coveralls are unique to each individual. Annie is the one who makes that happen while incorporating various technologies and standards in each set of coveralls. For instance, mine contains a computer and a high-speed hi-resolution video camera. I’ve a wireless link to Cendar’s mainframes. Information is displayed on my face shield. A lot of our technology forms the basis for our entry into the “Land Warrior” military system. If someone’s in our files a single glance is enough to identify them and display everything we know about them. That’s just one example. It’s also one of the ways we coordinate everyone. We don’t want to outfight our opponents if we can outthink them.”

“Then there’s another reason we are successful. Our people genuinely care for each other. Pat and Sheila, are MY bodyguards; they requested that assignment. I don’t think you could hire them for any amount of money. I know that as long as they are alive I will be too. Though not my bodyguards, Annie and Simon are very typical in their loyalty to the people of Cendar, the company, and to me. They would lay down their life for me. I hasten to add I would also lay my life down for Annie, Simon, Patrick, Sheila or any of my teammates.”

“Responsibility and respect are two way streets. Still, I am the luckiest woman in the world to have such friends.”

“Careful Ma’am, I’m liable to resign and apply to Cendar for a job.”

I giggled again, “Well, I hear the selection process is pretty rough but you do know the owner.”

We all laughed at that. Mr. Mayor, Chief Douglas, let me invite you to visit Cendar. You can see our labs, and our manufacturing facility. We’ll see if we can’t demonstrate some of our Police training for you while you are there. When I can, Monday or Tuesday I’ll call and we’ll set up a convenient time for you to visit. All expenses paid by Cendar. We’ll clear it with your comptroller and city council. Maybe we can run you through the paintball version of the funhouse if you like. We’ll even send a statement to your city council itemizing everything, and our actual out of pocket costs.”

I started to get into the car assigned to us when the chief stopped me.

“Before you go Kate, I need to pin this to your uniform.” He pulled out a Birmingham Police badge, and pinned it to my uniform. “I understand you’ll also be receiving one from the State. I’ll send the credentials to your office. I, the Mayor, and the Governor all want you to know that if ya’all are in the State of Alabama, you are one of our own.”

I know I blushed, and remember wishing I still had my helmet on. I gave him a hug.

“Chief, thank you. That is very gracious of you. Still I should get going, and I’ve got a long day ahead.”

“Ma’am, when you’re not so busy come on back and we’ll show you some Southern Gentility and Hospitality.”

I smiled sweetly as we drove away. I remember thinking I hoped the camera caught the blush, hug, and smile. That was, after all, one of the reasons they were with us. Then I was depressed for being so cynical.

--------------------

Birmingham International Airport, Alabama, Friday, December 28, 2001 0700 hours.

I boarded the plane and asked the crew to head back to Beverly. We would deliver Maxwell to a Massachusetts lock-up and let them decide what to do. I sat down in the main cabin with everyone else as breakfast was served. Someone had found a restaurant that would provide scrambled eggs with bacon, biscuits and sausage gravy for 55 people. It was good, it was hot. I enjoyed talking with the special ops team. Seven were pointed out to me. They had dropped everything to accompany Hal to pick me up from the Cayman Islands. I hugged, kissed them, and cried. I thanked them, and promised not to be in that situation again, at least not if I could help it.

An hour into the flight I went back into my cabin, along with Annie, Sheila, and Patrick. Andy and Simon brought Maxwell into the room. All he was wearing were a tee-shirt and undershorts. Those were removed. Maxwell was forced down onto a cold metal chair. I had the black hood removed.

I pulled my K-bar from its sheath and played with it while talking to my prisoner. “Well Mr. Maxwell, you have been a very, very bad boy. Can you think of any reason I should not remove your very teeny weenie? You are not only a rapist, but also a murderer, an insurance conman, you even killed your mother and father in law. I confess, tossing you out at 30,000 feet over the ocean is very attractive right now.”

“Fuck you bitch.” Maxwell turned to everyone else, “did you know she doesn’t even have a normal cunt? I don’t know how any man could stand her.”

SLAP

Simon’s hand left a large red welt on Maxwell’s face. “You would do well to curb your tongue.”

“Fuck y…

SLAP

Simon slapped the other cheek leaving another welt. “That’s twice, sir. Third time I start cutting. Maybe just one eyelid, accidental like. Only Kate knows why, but I have a very personal hatred of rapists.” Simon was referring to his dead sister, Jillian.

“Mr. Maxwell, you are going to put on a coverall we will give you. It has a built in diaper. You see, we want all kinds of samples from you for testing. Your files listed 12 women you raped. I’m hoping your DNA will be a match for others. Annie, Sheila, let’s go in the other room so he can be fitted into his coverall.

It took about 10 minutes for Simon, Andy, and Patrick to get him dressed. He looked like an oversized baby girl in his pink footed one piece hooded sleeper, except his zipped up the back, and locked. Well that and the fact he was handcuffed and manacled.

“Well now, isn’t that better? Pastel Pink is definitely you. You are going to Massachusetts. Carol is there with your journal, and your files. I’ve been reading all about your activities. Carol is LIVID that you’ve raped those women. She’s even angrier that you would give her jewelry you stole from those women. I’ll tell you now, IF you see her you better be polite because I KNOW she would gladly cut you off.”

I pulled my K-bar knife again, and this time I wickedly slashed Maxwell from shoulder to hip.

Maxwell looked down, stunned he hadn’t been gutted. He realized he’d also voided his bladder.

“That was a demonstration. Your “onesie” can’t be cut by any knife blade, or scissors. The seams are welded, so it will not unravel. It is insulated to keep you warm and comfy. If you start to get too hot something in the makeup of the fabric will get rid of excess heat.”

I sniffed audibly. “Why I think our little Baby Bunting soiled himself! So enjoy your new look. I’m very sure you’re going to be the cutest little thing to ever be locked up in Essex County.” I put the hood back over this head.

“Andy, take him out of my cabin. Annie, will you stay?”

“Of course Momma.”

“I need to lay down, and I need to be held. I feel dirty just from being around him.” I started to cry. “I so wanted to hurt him to make him feel what I felt, but I couldn’t. I wanted to but I couldn’t.”

Sheila picked up the intercom. “Ted, please come to the rear cabin. Ted, please get your doctor bag and come to the rear cabin.

Ted was there in no time at all. Annie was holding me, and I just kept repeating “I wanted to but I couldn’t.”

“I was afraid he’d hurt her,” Ted said.

“He did, emotionally, but she never broke, or showed anything in front of that bastard. Can you give her something that’s short acting but might let her relax at least a little for a couple of hours?”

“Maybe a little Ativan. She tolerates it well, unlike some other sedatives. But you need to keep it quiet and calm back here.”

“Kate did you hear what we said, I just nodded. Is it okay with you? I just nodded. Oh no my pretty, you have to say may I have some Ativan please Doctor Ted.”

“May I please have some Ativan doctor honey?”

“I guess that will have to do. I’m going to jab you in the butt. Don’t tense up this time. Ready, on three One.” Ted jabbed the needle in my ample posterior.

“Hey! you said three.”

“Well you didn’t flinch, Meri, go ahead and put a cannula on her and set her up oxygen, just .5 L supplemental”

Annie snuggled up and Meri put a cover over us, soon I wasn’t sobbing so much. I hadn’t slept much and soon relaxed enough to allow myself to go to sleep.

--------------------------------

Beverly Airport, Beverly, Massachusetts Friday, December 28, 2001 1230 hours.

Oh damn. The newsies were here. Imagine my joy.

The Cendar Medevac Helicopter was there, blades slowly turning. I walked into the main cabin to “address the troops.” “Everybody got the right badges and patches? Let’s leave the machine guns, hand grenades, you know, the little stuff on the plane.” Everyone laughed, we hadn’t brought anything heavier than my UZI. “Red, White, and Blue Flags on the left shoulder, and State Police flashes on the right? Everybody all nit and tidee? Fall into formation at the foot of the stairs, looks like State Police is here to see what the new spring look in tactical wear is like. Who is the tallest? Simes and McGuire you get to help our prisoner off the plane - last. Uh guys, it would look REAL BAD if he somehow fell down the stairs. And everyone, if you don’t hear me say it enough, thank you, thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Of course, you also get overtime, combat, and travel pay for the last 24 hours, and I do believe there will be a bit extra in everyone’s pay. We debrief Monday morning 1000 hours. Good job everyone, DAMN GOOD job! Please, enjoy your weekend.

I let Andy lead the way, and I was last, except for Maxwell and his guards. Annie had put my hair up in a bun, something I normally dislike, but it seemed somehow more austere and proper.

The team was in formation, I walked to the head of the formation, nodded for the prisoner to be brought down the stairs. I turned about, “Colonel Kincaid, no stuns, no wounds, no errors.”

The Colonel began to laugh.

I continued “Operations commenced at 0500, by 0530 the fugitive had been located, captured, and forensics completed. The Mayor of Birmingham, Police Chief Douglas, and the Governor of Alabama send their compliments sir.”

“Very good Major. And the prisoner’s attire?”

“That sir is the latest Cendar Labs suicide prevention suit. I understand the color has to do with the materials used.”

“Major, Dismiss your troops”

“Yes sir, Captain, dismiss the team, and turn the prisoner over to the Essex Jail Staff. Remind them to bag, tag, and treat that coverall as evidence. And tell them not to clean it!

Andy called out and the special ops team headed for cars and home. John Maxwell headed to jail.

A Cendar team went through and thoroughly cleaned the plane. When they were done the plane was refueled, and ready to leave to pick up Lisa’s friends.

Linda and Hal were waiting in the limo for Annie, and I. “Impressive Hon, you all looked damned sharp and professional. It made great theatre too.”

“Well, that was part of the purpose, was it not? Alabama’s going to be a big client. You think they looked impressive here? You should have seen them. Maniples banging on the doors of eleven motels simultaneously gets attention. From start to finish was 28 minutes. Maxwell had left his cell phone on, so I was his perky wake-up call. You should have seen him when Simon and Andy got him in his bunny suit. I was playing with my K-bar while talking to him, then suddenly slashed him right across his gut. Obviously it didn’t cut, but you would have thought so to see his face. I’m ashamed at how much I wanted to hurt him. And how rotten I felt when I couldn’t.”

“And that is why you will ALWAYS be better than he is. Andy’s preliminary report says you went in with the first team. Was that wise Kate?”

“Technically it was the first team, I tossed the flash-bang. But I was the last of the team in, and he was already immobilized. I took no chances. Again it was great theatre. The boss leading from the front. The Chief of Police saw it all. There is no way he’d risk his ass, and that spoke volumes. No “mercenaries” just good professional cops doing their job very well. Even my weight played well. The contrast between the Chief and I could not have been plainer. The team all picked up souvenirs: badges, patches, and credentials. I’ve forgotten how many different departments or task forces I’m a part of. I guess I’ve an open-ended commission as an Alabama State Trooper. My mouth is running. I’m still on an adrenaline high. I need to go home, get Lin to help me shower, and eat some French onion, no! Bean with bacon soup and a fried spam sandwich, take an Ambien and go to sleep. I don’t think I’ll have bad dreams tonight, for the first time in weeks.”

Whew!

I leaned against Linda, Annie leaned against me, and we both fell asleep.

“Now we see if the Courts do their jobs. Otherwise I fear we will have to acquire Mr. Maxwell again, and if we do he will disappear forever.”

Linda looked Hal in the eye, “Good.”

To be continued…

up
139 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Know How It Goes...

...when you're more than half asleep and the phone rings. But if Maxwell wasn't smart (sorry about that) in leaving the throwaway phone on, what was really stupid was answering it.

Good chapter.

Eric

Good thing is...

... Most criminals are not smart enough to do everything in legal way.

J.M

great chapter Beth what I would like to happen to this piss ant is gave him a shot start turn him in to a girl than shove his a$$ in to a male prison and become someone bitch.

Yeah

Stupid as stupid does. That phone was intended on being thrown away and it should have especially after calling one of his victims. He also called far too close to where he was staying. The call should've been made, the phone disposed of, and then he should've driven to a city in another state.

When they really are out to get you, there is no being too paranoid!

Nice one!
Hugs
Grover

What do you want from him?

He was stupid enough to:
1. Jump bail having perfect attorney and good references from his hometown
2. Call his home after jumping bail as everyone knows that "they" will be there
3. Call his victim knowing that she was one of the most influential persons in US of A.
After those faux pa's it is quite normal to leave the phone on and answer it...
God bless stupid criminals!

Another superb Chapter

...in the continuing saga. I'm so glad that you're continuing the series Beth.

Thank you
Joanna