Tennessee Mountain Girl

Printer-friendly version

Author's note: This is the third in a series, with the Spangled Leotard and Little Miss Firecracker.

My Momma has never been one to back down from a fight.

Not Barbara Jean Miller, no way.

"You can put your boy in a skimpy outfit for a Christmas parade," Bobby Joe Frederick yelled at her. "You can even dress him up in a dress and enter him in a beauty pageant. But as long as I'm school board president, you will NOT enroll your SON in school as a girl."

"Amen, brother, preach it," were the words of a preacher from a small church sitting in the front row.

I kept my head down, and tried not to tear up.

"Yeah, we don't want know queers runnin' around in her schools," said another person in the audience.

"My child ain't no queer, she ain't no freak," Momma replied. "She's a special child, and you people need to SHUT your MOUTHS!""

"This meeting needs to come to ORDER," said Dr. Bill Colburn, our superintendent.

"I'm not going to sit here and allow a boy to run around in a dress in our school," said Kristie Mays. "I'm not going to allow someone to force their beliefs on my children about how they should except gays and trannies."

"Isn't it the other way AROUND?" Momma shouted back. "I'm not tellin' you how to raise your children, so don't tell me how to raise MINE!"

"Quite frankly, I think she needs to be reported to child services," Bobby Joe said again. "Besides, I think she's forcing that child to dress as a girl."

"SHE IS NOT!" I shouted. "LEAVE MY MOMMA ALONE!"

Suddenly, everyone turned around to look at me.

I blushed. I shrank in my chair.

I suddenly wished I could be invisible, which was kind of hard since I was wearing a bow in my hair, a pink dress and white sandals.

"Child services has already been to my house, I have you to know Mr. Frederick," Momma replied. "They know I'm a good momma to my kids."

People turned around and looked Mrs. Morgan, who was in charged of child services in Crockett County.

"It's true, went there myself after Pastor Jones filed a complaint," she said. "The house was clean. Kids looked healthy and happy. I talked to the child extensively, and the child insists he is not being forced to dress up like a girl. The boy needs a therapist, but we have so many other children who have worse problems than Mrs. Miller's children."

"She talked about Jude as if Jude were some kind of it," my granny told Momma.

"Can I address the board?" Miss Moultrie asked.

I had no idea she was even at the meeting.

"Heather, you may," Dr. Colburn said.

"I've had Jude as one of my twirlers since right after Jude could walk," Miss Moultrie said. "Jude's a different kind of child. Mrs. Miller may be kind of forceful, but if you spend enough time around Jude, you know that Jude is not a typical boy. I've found very little difference behavior-wise between Jude and the rest of the girls I teach. And I don't put my girls in skimpy outfits, Mr. Frederick, thank you very much!"

The crowd grew quiet. Dr. Colburn told the crowd that he had long discussions with the board's attorney, Mr. Mercy, before coming up with his recommendation to the board.

"I understand people's Christian beliefs, I consider myself a very good one," Dr. Colburn said. "But we're walking a fine-line when it comes to federal funding. And some of the comments made tonight by our school board members could put that in jeopardy. I will encourage Mrs. Miller to have her child see a therapist, but I would recommend granting her request. I will allow for children to transfer from her class if their parents are uncomfortable with the situation, within reason."

*****

I went out in the hall and waited with Granny while the board made it's decision.

"You were a brave little lady in there," a young woman said while I was getting a drink from the water fountain.

"She's not usually like that," Granny replied. "She's usually quiet and shy."

"Well I think it's a good thing you let your voice be heard," said the woman who introduced herself as my homeroom and math teacher, Amy Fitch.

"Nice to meet you Miss Fitch," I said.

"You look very pretty in pink," she said. "I'm sure we're going to get along just fine."

Just then, the doors of the meeting room opened.

Mama emerged, surrounded by television and newspaper reporters.

"I told them not to mess with Barbara Jean Miller!" Momma said joyfully.

"You're the most famous tranny in all of Tennessee," my brother Isaac said. He had stayed in the courtroom with Mama.

"Isaac Leon Gill, what a horrible thing to say about your sister," Granny said as she hit him in the head with her purse.

"My family, I really love them, yes I do," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, I'm sure they're really OK," Miss Fitch said as she put around my shoulder.

"Oh, you don't know my family," I said.

*****

Judith Marie Miller.

Those were the words I wrote on the yellow notepad in the courtroom.

"You can write more girly than that," Momma said.

"I don't know, I think it's right pretty," Granny said of my chicken scratch.

Mamma made me write my name over and over to get used to it.

There was no one fighting us in court today. Momma got me dressed up in a white and green dress with a white bow in my hair as she took me to the Crockett County Courthouse to see Judge Parker.

She had come to change my name. Jude Tyler Jones would no longer do.

Judith was my great-gramma's name. Marie was Granny's middle name.

"And your daddy ain't never paid you no child support, he ain't never paid you no mind," Momma said. "You ain't no Jones. You're a Miller like your Mamma."

Miller was her maiden name. She changed her name back to Miller after her last divorce.

"And since you ain't got nothin' to do with that good for nothin', Jones ain't your name anymore, either," she said.

Judge Parker approved Momma's.

"You can still be called Jude," Momma said. "But you're official name is Judith!"

Judith was an OK name, I thought. It was the same name of the baby from The Walking Dead.

Yeah, I might be a girl now, but I still liked zombies.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jude again!

I was happy to see this story, because I'd been hoping we'd get another visit with Jude! Nice to see her doing well. She's lucky she's got such a fierce protector in her Momma.

GeekGirl

Hi again Torey!

I see Jude's path is perfectly clear now! Attending school as Judith Marie officially and legally! Nice story sweetie, look forward to reading more about Judith. Loving Hugs Talia

Love the last line

Angharad's picture

'Yeah, I might be a girl now, but I still liked zombies.'

Angharad